Old Boy

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 3, 2002

anyone seen this movie? From 2003, directed by Korean film maker Chan-wook Park.....

shit is crazy........One of the best foreign films I've seen, and one of the best revenge flics out there......The acting is really great too, and a twisted ending

yall should peep it out....

Jun 3, 2002
so it's a trilogy?.......okay,

The Vengeance Trilogy

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002)
Oldboy (2003)
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (2005)

I'ma have to look for the other two..............that Old Boy is really dope

Aug 16, 2003
Did they? i heard that they were still planing to do it
I dont think they could get a good story together or something. I know Will Smith and Spielberg were involved but they pulled out and killed the project...

Around the world, a collective sigh of relief is breathed by otaku everywhere. Steven Spielberg and Will Smith had been conspiring to remake the Korean film Oldboy (which was based on a Japanese manga). The absurdity of the idea seemed to encourage Spielberg more, saying he was actually not remaking the film, but adapting the manga. Ignoring the fact that they were casting Will freaking Smith in it, I think we all can say this was one Hollywood adaption we were really unsure about.

Last we heard, the film was being put on hold as Futabasha and Show East argued over the rights. Now, Slashfilm is reporting (via the Latino Review), that the film is dead. Dropped quickly and unceremoniously into the coffin, the film was kicked after Dreamworks and Mandate (the Korean production studio) couldn't agree on the adaption. Dreamworks and Spielberg simply walked away from the deal and left it be -- apparently it was more trouble than it was worth.

Given that even Steven Spielberg couldn't get the film up and running, I would guess that we're not going to see this being revived by any mad scientists anytime soon.

Jun 21, 2005
I dont think they could get a good story together or something. I know Will Smith and Spielberg were involved but they pulled out and killed the project...

Around the world, a collective sigh of relief is breathed by otaku everywhere. Steven Spielberg and Will Smith had been conspiring to remake the Korean film Oldboy (which was based on a Japanese manga). The absurdity of the idea seemed to encourage Spielberg more, saying he was actually not remaking the film, but adapting the manga. Ignoring the fact that they were casting Will freaking Smith in it, I think we all can say this was one Hollywood adaption we were really unsure about.

Last we heard, the film was being put on hold as Futabasha and Show East argued over the rights. Now, Slashfilm is reporting (via the Latino Review), that the film is dead. Dropped quickly and unceremoniously into the coffin, the film was kicked after Dreamworks and Mandate (the Korean production studio) couldn't agree on the adaption. Dreamworks and Spielberg simply walked away from the deal and left it be -- apparently it was more trouble than it was worth.

Given that even Steven Spielberg couldn't get the film up and running, I would guess that we're not going to see this being revived by any mad scientists anytime soon.
thanks, i forgot reading that smith and spielberg waned to be involved with oldboy, which i found very odd, i dont think most of the Americans would enjoy a crazy twisted flim on a mass appeal level. which is the reason i love foreign films. i would recommend ichi the killer if you havent saw it already, its as good if not better than oldboy.

May 9, 2002
thanks, i forgot reading that smith and spielberg waned to be involved with oldboy, which i found very odd, i dont think most of the Americans would enjoy a crazy twisted flim on a mass appeal level. which is the reason i love foreign films. i would recommend ichi the killer if you havent saw it already, its as good if not better than oldboy.

Ichi the Killer is a great mindfuck in a different way. The ending makes you think alot harder than Oldboy does.