OFFICIAL ANGELS THREAD...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

WXS STOMP3R

SENIOR GANG MEMBER
Feb 27, 2006
ANAHEIM -- There are special games, signposts, over the course of the long season. Months later, they come into focus as vastly more meaningful than merely one in 162.
It is possible the Angels produced such a collective effort on Tuesday night at Angel Stadium, with Garret Anderson delivering the crushing blow in a 5-3 come-from-behind conquest of the A's.

Oakland had taken the lead in the top of the eighth inning on a Mark Ellis homer. Just when the A's were thinking the Angels' American League West lead was about to shrink to 2 1/2 games, with a sweep possible on Wednesday, the Angels went to work against reliever Alan Embree, a lefty familiar with big moments.

Casey Kotchman doubled. Maicer Izturis bunted pinch-runner Reggie Willits to third. Vladimir Guerrero singled home Willits. To the plate, after a Torii Hunter strikeout, strolled Anderson, so quiet throughout June that he sat for two games in a row to, as manager Mike Scioscia put it, "let the air out."

When Embree missed his target with a 3-1 fastball, Anderson lifted it high into the dark sky. The two-run homer gave Francisco Rodriguez a two-run lead that quickly became save No. 33 in 35 chances.

Scot Shields, who yielded the homer to Ellis in the eighth, moved to 4-2 with the win after Ervin Santana held the A's to two runs across seven strong innings. Embree fell to 1-3 with the loss, after starter Rich Harden was touched for two runs across five innings.

When they put together two runs in the third inning to draw even against Harden, the Angels matched their output from their previous 40 innings.

Gary Matthews Jr. was hit by a pitch, moving to third on Howie Kendrick's double to right. Jeff Mathis' sacrifice fly scored Matthews and Kendrick took third. Kotchman's groundout drove in Kendrick.

Five singles in the first two innings had given Harden a 2-0 lead. Jack Hannahan singled and stole second in the sixth, but a sprawling stab by Kotchman at first robbed Daric Barton of a hit and an RBI.

"Kotchman beat us a little bit with the glove, too," A's manager Bob Geren said. "He had a great game."

After lashing an Embree breaking ball into the corner for the double in the eighth, Kotchman sat back and watched Anderson unload.

"He's got a track record," Kotchman said. "You know he can do it. It's just a matter of time -- when, not if."

Anderson said he wasn't crazy about sitting around for two games, adding that "it was a little weird the first few at-bats."

Watching Embree throw a string of 91-93 mph fastballs to hitters preceding him, Anderson said he was "looking for a fastball, trying to react to it -- not try to get outside myself and do too much.

"I don't lose confidence in my ability to hit. Just keep plugging away. The most important thing is don't panic. Chip away at it, one day at a time."

The way he turned on Embree's heater was a good sign for Anderson, telling him his bat speed is where it needs to be.

"It always feels good when you contribute like that," Anderson said. "The home runs make a little exclamation point."

For Embree, it was a pitch that got away -- up, up and away.

"I missed my spot by a lot," Embree said. "It was supposed to be a fastball away, and it was way in. I wanted to go down and away and it ran right into his swing. He pulled his hands in and got it.

"He's a great hitter."

"It's a two-point swing [in the standings]," Kotchman said, having made his first appearance as a No. 2 hitter memorable. "That's big -- either way."

Kotchman, still fairly new to this, hasn't experienced as many summers and autumns as Anderson. The most productive hitter in franchise history knows too much to attach undue importance to a July 1 game.

Yet, at the same time, he remembers how critical a sweep of the Mariners in Seattle was last August, how it sent the Angels' AL West rivals reeling.

"Without going too far ahead of ourselves, this could be an important win for us when we look back," Anderson said. "You can put a star on it and see how things turn out. It definitely feels better being 4 1/2 ahead than 2 1/2.

"I've been on the other end of that. You get a lead and they come back and snatch it. As you get older, they're harder to handle. You know you don't have that many opportunities."

Having scored two runs in their previous four games, the five the Angels put up against the A's felt like an outburst.

"Any time a good team is scuffling, you hope to time it right [in facing them]," Geren said. "But any team with that many good hitters is eventually going to get its hits."

THEIR 4.5 GAMES AHEAD OF OAKLAND IN THE WEST AND ONE GAME BEHIND TAMPA BAY FOR BEST RECORD IN THE AMERICAN LEAGUE

REALLY AINT A ANGEL FAN BUT FOR GAMBLING PURPOSES AND SINCE THEY OUT THE AREA, I HAD TO THROW IT UP. PLUS I WANT TO TALK SHIT IN THE SPORTS FORUM...AND ALREADY KNOCKED OUT A DODGER FAN AT ANGEL STADIUM...SORRY SLIC I HAD TO MENTION IT.

SO FUCK THE A'S AND SEATTLE LET'S DO THIS,

WXS STOMP3R

SENIOR GANG MEMBER
Feb 27, 2006
YEAH SERIOUS CAUSE ANDERSON COULDNT BUY A FUCKING HIT TIL LAST NIGHT...AND HE HITS A TWO RUN HOMER, FUCKNG A'S DUMP TRUCKED THAT ONE.

Nov 5, 2004
Its Oakland A's on mine, but I have always been a Vlad fan, back to the days when he played in front of the 17 fans they had in Montreal.

WXS STOMP3R

SENIOR GANG MEMBER
Feb 27, 2006
TONIGHT IT GOES DOWN WITH THE A'S AGAIN...I'LL GIVE THE A'S PROPS THOUGH FOR HAVING NOTHING BUT A SCALED DOWN PAYROLL, THEM FUCKERS ALWAYS ON THE ANGELS HEELS. BUT BOBBY CROSBY MY MAN A PRODUCT OF LA QUINTA HIGH SCHOOL IN ORANGE COUNTY...FOOL WAS ALWAYS COOL AS FUCK.

Apr 25, 2002
You know what I hate most about when the A's play the Angels... The CONSTANT close-ups of Mike Scioscia's face. Seriously, do they zoom in on any other manager like that?!

WXS STOMP3R

SENIOR GANG MEMBER
Feb 27, 2006
ANAHEIM -- What a difference four months can make.
Joe Saunders opened Spring Training battling for the No. 5 spot in the Angels' rotation. But now, after becoming the first American League pitcher to reach 12 wins, he's battling to become the Angels' ace and an AL All-Star.

Saunders became the first Angels pitcher since 1991 to win 12 games before the All-Star Game, as the left-hander pitched 6 1/3 solid innings in the Angels' 6-4 win over the A's on Wednesday.

Saunders matched former Angels Chuck Finley and Mark Langston, each of whom had 12 wins before the 1991 All-Star Game. Saunders allowed two earned runs, four total, on six hits while striking out five and walking two.

Saunders downplayed reaching his AL-leading win total and said it's important to stay focused on the task at hand -- winning even more games.

"Twelve means I've got off to a good start," said Saunders, who has allowed two earned runs or fewer in 12 of his 17 starts. "It means I've got to keep it going -- going out there with a purpose and trying to get a win every time."

Saunders also remained humble when asked about his chances of representing the American League in the July 15 All-Star Game in New York.

"I don't consider myself an All-Star," Saunders said. "I've had a great year. If it happens, it would be awesome. It would be a great experience playing in the last year at Yankee Stadium. It would be fun and I'd be on cloud nine. If it happens, hopefully it does, but if it doesn't, you just keep pitching."

But Saunders wasn't the only Angels pitcher to reach a milestone on Wednesday. Closer Francisco Rodriguez pitched a scoreless ninth to collect save No. 34, which ties John Smoltz for the most saves before the All-Star break. Just like Saunders, though, Rodriguez minimized his achievement.

"The focus is on getting it done," Rodriguez said. "I'm not focusing on records right now. It's too early for me to think about that."

Saunders and Rodriguez, however, couldn't reach their milestones without Juan Rivera, who drove in three runs, including a two-run homer off Oakland reliever Keith Foulke in the sixth that proved to be the game-winner.

"I was looking for something offspeed, because I knew Keith Foulke throws a lot of offspeed stuff," said Rivera, who hit his first homer since Sept. 9, 2007. "I wanted to be aggressive in that situation."

Rivera has started in place of Garret Anderson is three of the last four games, going 3-for-10 with three RBIs and two runs scored. Angels manager Mike Scioscia attributed his results to getting more playing time.

"Juan in the last week has just missed four or five balls," Scioscia said. "As his timing gets there,, we know what kind of productive hitter he is. We're going to see if we can get him some at-bats."

Rivera has played in just 31 games this season and is batting .185, but is a career .318 hitter in the second half of the season. He could get more at-bats against left-handed pitchers, but the outfield remains crowded.

"I miss playing," Rivera said. "I want to play more, but any player will tell you that. I interpret [Scioscia's comments] as he has confidence in me and knows I've been a good second-half player in the big leagues."

The Angels got on the board first in the opening inning when Oakland starter Dana Eveland threw a wild pitch that allowed Erick Aybar to score from third. The Angels added to their lead in the second frame when Howie Kendrick doubled to open the inning and scored from third on a fielder's choice by Rivera.

The A's answered with a run in the fourth inning on a run-scoring double to right field by Emil Brown, which was aided by a throwing error from Gary Matthews that allowed Bobby Crosby to score from first. Oakland captured the lead in the sixth inning on two-run single by Mark Ellis after Saunders allowed a walk and a double.

The Angels added three runs in the sixth on doubles by Torii Hunter and Casey Kotchman and the homer by Rivera.

Aybar added a home run in the seventh and Kendrick scored on a sacrifice fly in the eighth.

With the win, the Angels won the series and extended their lead in the AL West to 5 1/2 games over the A's.

"It was a good series," said Eveland, who allowed three runs in 5 2/3 innings for Oakland. "And they're a tough team. We still play them a bunch more times. Hopefully, we can at least get that game back. I don't feel that they're a better team that we are."

NOW IT'S FIVE AND HALF OVER THE A'S

WXS STOMP3R

SENIOR GANG MEMBER
Feb 27, 2006
TRUE TO THAT...TOO BAD CHAVEZ WENT ON THE DL AGAIN TOO...POOR DUDE CANT GET A BREAK AND IM THINKING HE'S PROBABLY GONNA BE WASHED UP FROM HERE ON.

Jun 18, 2005
TRUE TO THAT...TOO BAD CHAVEZ WENT ON THE DL AGAIN TOO...POOR DUDE CANT GET A BREAK AND IM THINKING HE'S PROBABLY GONNA BE WASHED UP FROM HERE ON.
yea! i'm $till pi$$ed about the A'$ making him the frnachi$e player! did u hear that the A'$ ju$T aquired a 16 year old 6'4'' pitcher with a 94mph fa$tball! i think he'$ from Venenzuela! aver que tho! A's gotta make $ome move$ to finalize their playoff game$, $uck$ hAVING a billion dollar owner who aint tryna $pend top dollar for $ome dec$ent player$, but I give prop$ too the $cout$ who do a bad a$$ job in getting young talent!

Apr 25, 2002
The Angels have been the charmed franchise in the AL West for some time now, part of it is luck, but a big part of it is their front office just has their shit together. People like Howie Kendrick, Erick Aybar and Casey Kotchman are really really really good.