Obama lifts ban on abortion funds

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
A small step, but still a step in the right direction

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7847651.stm

US President Barack Obama has lifted a ban on federal funding for foreign family planning agencies that promote or give information about abortion.
The US is one of the biggest supporters of family planning programmes globally, but former president George W Bush blocked funds for abortion services.
Powerful anti-abortion groups in the US have criticised the lifting of the ban.
But aid agencies welcomed the move, saying it would promote women's health, especially in developing countries.
A White House spokesman said Mr Obama signed the executive order without asking for coverage by the media late on Friday afternoon.
The issue of abortion services remains controversial in the US, pitting pro-life conservative groups against more liberal, pro-choice Americans who back a woman's right to choose whether or not to have an abortion.
The BBC's Richard Lister in Washington says this may be why President Obama signed the order with so little fanfare.
Highly contentious
Organisations that had pressed Mr Obama to make the abortion-ban change were jubilant.

Enormous implications
They called the funding ban the "gag rule" because it cuts funds to groups that advocate or lobby for the lifting of abortion restrictions.
The Planned Parenthood Federation of America hailed the president for "lifting the stranglehold on women's health across the globe with the stroke of a pen."
"No longer will health care providers be forced to choose between receiving family planning funding and restricting the health care services they provide to women," the organization said in a statement.
But anti-abortion groups were quick to criticise the reversal of the funding ban.
"President Obama not long ago told the American people that he would support policies to reduce abortions, but today he is effectively guaranteeing more abortions by funding groups that promote abortion as a method of population control," said Douglas Johnson, legislative director of the National Right to Life Committee.
A 1973 decision by the US Supreme Court legalised abortion.
A Gallup poll conducted last year showed that 54% of Americans think abortion should be allowed under certain circumstances, 28% believe it should be legal under any circumstances, while 17% back a total ban.
See-saw issue
The policy has become a see-saw issue between Republican and Democratic administrations.
Former President Bill Clinton, a Democrat, repealed the policy when he took office in 1993 and George W Bush reinstated it in 2001.
The ruling is also known as the Mexico City Policy, because it was first introduced at a UN conference there in 1984 by former Republican President Ronald Reagan.
In a move related to the lifting of the abortion rule, Mr Obama is also expected to restore funding to the UN Population Fund (UNFPA) in the next budget, the AP news agency reported.
The Bush administration contended that the fund's work in China supported a Chinese family planning policy of coercive abortion and involuntary sterilisation, claims the UNFPA has vehemently denied.
In a separate move earlier on Friday, US regulators cleared the way for the world's first study on human embryonic stem cell therapy.
While the decision of the US Food and Drug Administration is independent of White House control, Mr Obama is widely expected to adopt a more pragmatic and science-oriented approach to stem cell research.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
Why should we pay for foreign abortions?
So that you do not get a tidal wave a few hundred million people fleeing from places where conditions have become unlivable to the US at some point in the future

Now if you are implying that they should organize a mass abortion and sterilization campaign in the US (the only Western nation that has a positive population growth rate), I agree with you 100%

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
no, I don't, I used "nation" as a synonym for state (and because HERESY used it to refer to the US, which is just as incorrect

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
no, I don't, I used "nation" as a synonym for state (and because HERESY used it to refer to the US, which is just as incorrect
This is my second post in this thread. Here is my first post:

america isn't the only western nation with a positive population growth ratio.
Did you not say this before I even had a post in this thread?

the US (the only Western nation that has a positive population growth rate)
With that being said, WTF are you talking about? You sound like snitch, but what's even worse is you're pointing the finger at me, when I'm innocent.

For now on, you will be known as Fhag.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
This is my second post in this thread. Here is my first post:

Did you not say this before I even had a post in this thread?

With that being said, WTF are you talking about? You sound like snitch, but what's even worse is you're pointing the finger at me, when I'm innocent.

For now on, you will be known as Fhag.
Yes, I used it in the beginning but I used it the second time because I was referring to your post. So what I said is entirely correct - I used the word "nation" the second time not because I used it the first but because I was referring to you.

And I said that it is incorrect to call the US a "nation" not because you called it a nation, but because there is no such thing as an American nation. Which is a topic of a huge discussion on its own.

Sorry for the misunderstanding

Mac Jesus

Girls send me your nudes
May 31, 2003
Canada sucks and I hate Canada. They is dumb not like us smart Americans. I hope Cananda blowed up on themselves. I know a Canadian and he hads shifty eyes. They are a society funded on lies because they call ham Canadian Bacon when they know it's just ham. Canada outlaws Howard Stern and took him off of the radio because they are scared of free thought. Canada has cheap prescription drugs to lure our elderly over the boarder ... then they rape them. That last sentence is a true story, look it up in USA Today, it happens all the time. We can't trust Canada because they speak French and we can't understand that language. We all know how the Frenchies are pussies and Canadaians are the French peoples bithches, so that makes Canada a bigger bitch than a bitch. And why do they always say "eh" at the end of there sentences? I think it's because they is "eh-holes". I also hate how they look down on you for finishing high school early with a GED because you wanted to get a real job. The other funny thing is that most of the teams in the NHL are losing money and the league is probably going to fold up next year. HAHAHA those stupid Canadians love hockey so much: What does a canadian girl and a hockey goalie have in common? They both change their pads after three periods eh? Canadians are also famously cheap: What's the difference between a Canadian and a canoe? Canoes tip. I hate everyone in Canada so I hope the all get herpes from sleeping with their snow dogs on cold nights. Pamela Anderson said she got Hepatitis C because she deserved it for being Canadian (that's what the C stands for). I've never wroten anything that other people would read before and I just got on the internet for the first time this week. I'm proud that all the world will read this and have a better understanding of Canada. I had to speak out against the evil-doers in Canada. Go to hell Canada, go to hell!!!
Just found this! Posting it for you I Pukokeki Ioulo Momu.