Northwest Gansterism?!?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 28, 2005
Northwest Gangsterism?!?

Nobody seems to be talking about this so I will. My brother recently gave me burnt copies of NW artists (I'm an artist myself and I wouldn't accepted burnt copies from anyone else) . Nothing was wrong about it, production was good. BUT, it seemed like everyone talked about sets and bangin, and all the disks had atleast one mary-jane/chronic track where they compare females to weed. I CANNOT RELATE TO THIS! I know there are anomalies like Unexpected Arrival, Sarkastic, etc; I may be wrong, but so far all I hear are NWA/Dipset type rappers on bay area beats. How can the US take the NW serious, when sometimes I can't? I'll be glad to change my mind or am I the only one noticing this?

Apr 25, 2002
I know how you feel. Personally I have no problems with the NW music, there are about 10-20 extremely talented artists/groups and about 5-10 extremely talented producers up here.

But sometimes when I listen I do think that nobody else around the country could take the gangster stuff seriously because no matter how you want to twist it, IN THE EYES OF PEOPLE ELSEWHERE IN THE US, the cities of the NW do NOT have the gangster image that a lot of other places do. So you put two and two together, and the conclusion is that the artists, while talented, are fake (and even if they are not, it is not as believable b/c of the city they're from).

That's my big thesis that I've been arguing on here for awhile, developed partially from living elsewhere in the US and partially from my education. In a way it's unfair to some of the people, but it's reality.

Kon1

Sicc OG
May 17, 2002
obviously u just heard sum trash ass cd's cuz theres sum super heat in the NW. go look up Nonstop,Syko,Young Blast,Tony Soprano & so on. and if you dont like none of them then you needa get slapped. cuz theyre all sum tight ass rappers from the NW

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
Too many artists rap about a bunch of stupid useless bullshit.

They don't read anything or educate themselves. They just rap about a bunch of stupid crap that a million other rappers have already rapped about.

And it's not just in the NW, it's everywhere and anywhere.

Sure what they are rapping about could be true and completely real, but some of them glorify it and take it way too seriously pretty much to a point where it makes them look like stupid fucking idiots.

A message to the NW artists, rap about what you've been through, that's natural, but don't glorify it, or try to make it look like more than it is or try to sound "down" on your tracks like your really thuggin daily, because its nothing new, it's watered down, it's bullshit rap. Get creative and rap about real shit that people can relate to, these rappers make it look like everyone involved in hip hop is a gang banger, or a drug dealer, or a pimp, when that's just bullshit.

Those garbage tapes get trashed where I'm at not sure about ya'll though.

May 9, 2002
SmOkEd_OuT_213 said:
obviously u just heard sum trash ass cd's cuz theres sum super heat in the NW. go look up Nonstop,Syko,Young Blast,Tony Soprano & so on. and if you dont like none of them then you needa get slapped. cuz theyre all sum tight ass rappers from the NW
Do you ever stop???Jesus I swear to Christ...

ANYWAYS....i agree...although there are REAL bangers who rap...do NOT get it twisted....

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
I been deleting a lot of shit lately, but fuck it, i'll just let loose.

thephantomblue0 said:
Nobody seems to be talking about this so I will. My brother recently gave me burnt copies of NW artists (I'm an artist myself and I wouldn't accepted burnt copies from anyone else) . Nothing was wrong about it, production was good. BUT, it seemed like everyone talked about sets and bangin, and all the disks had atleast one mary-jane/chronic track where they compare females to weed. I CANNOT RELATE TO THIS! I know there are anomalies like Unexpected Arrival, Sarkastic, etc; I may be wrong, but so far all I hear are NWA/Dipset type rappers on bay area beats. How can the US take the NW serious, when sometimes I can't? I'll be glad to change my mind or am I the only one noticing this?
I've noticed it, but it doesn't really bother me. And "Relating" to anything has never really been important.

How many people here played in the NFL before? How about ANY KIND of Professional Football? ...ANYTHING beyond High School? ...OK, now how many people play Madden? -- And you can go on and on with that, SOCOM (Army), Seinfeld (Being Jewish), etc.

The main problem is a lack of magazines, DVDs, mixtapes, TV shows, and all this other stuff. People just want to drop an album, do a few shows, sell some albums in the parking lot and suddenly be selling 10,000 units each time out; and if they don't, they blame the next man or say "there's too many haters" or some other cop-out shit.

Have you been to Aberdeen recently to sell CDs? Have you been to Olympia in your wrapped van, selling CDs? Have you been to Portland or Eugene? Have you made the trip up to Bellingham or Vancouver BC? Have you gone to Spokane, the Tri-Cities or Boise? There's haters in every city, and there's also SALES in every city.

The bottom line is that the formula works. It'll get the job done, and thats what matters. But until we eliminate this Indy-to-Mainstream mentality, this lotto-ticket fantasies of dropping a mixtape, getting massive radio play for your lead single, selling 50,000 copies and then getting picked up by a Major label.....it's just not going to happen any time soon.

Shoot for the 3,000. Shoot for the recoup plus a few thousand. Don't aim low, but don't just buck shots at the moon either. Take your time with it, perfecting it; hit 'em they....well, you know the rest.

Apr 8, 2005
Dirty Shoez said:
I been deleting a lot of shit lately, but fuck it, i'll just let loose.

I've noticed it, but it doesn't really bother me. And "Relating" to anything has never really been important.

How many people here played in the NFL before? How about ANY KIND of Professional Football? ...ANYTHING beyond High School? ...OK, now how many people play Madden? -- And you can go on and on with that, SOCOM (Army), Seinfeld (Being Jewish), etc.

The main problem is a lack of magazines, DVDs, mixtapes, TV shows, and all this other stuff. People just want to drop an album, do a few shows, sell some albums in the parking lot and suddenly be selling 10,000 units each time out; and if they don't, they blame the next man or say "there's too many haters" or some other cop-out shit.

Have you been to Aberdeen recently to sell CDs? Have you been to Olympia in your wrapped van, selling CDs? Have you been to Portland or Eugene? Have you made the trip up to Bellingham or Vancouver BC? Have you gone to Spokane, the Tri-Cities or Boise? There's haters in every city, and there's also SALES in every city.

The bottom line is that the formula works. It'll get the job done, and thats what matters. But until we eliminate this Indy-to-Mainstream mentality, this lotto-ticket fantasies of dropping a mixtape, getting massive radio play for your lead single, selling 50,000 copies and then getting picked up by a Major label.....it's just not going to happen any time soon.

Shoot for the 3,000. Shoot for the recoup plus a few thousand. Don't aim low, but don't just buck shots at the moon either. Take your time with it, perfecting it; hit 'em they....well, you know the rest.
problem with spokane is, dont get me wrong, i love my city, but people are pretty fuckin stupid, its all gangsta this, and gangsta that, so if you aint gangsta, even a little bit, you aint makin it (in terms of music sales) in spokane.

the only really tight/creative acts we have here are certified, and a guy that used to live in jersey, called trilyon

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
Here's your homework then:

Go to a few local record stores, and ask them what types of Rap Music sells the most. Is it, Mos Def, Common, Talib, etc. that sell 25 and 50 thousand a piece in the market.....or is it Snoop, 50 Cent and so on?

If its the latter, then being tight/creative doesn't matter. There's a niche to be filled, and local acts can do it just the same as major ones, albeit on a smaller scale.

You gotta remember. People want to be different. And they'll be ready to smack you if you say they're not an individual. There's people that listen to underground music, not even because they particularly like it, but JUST TO be different. People that drink RC Cola instead of Pepsi/Coke. Crazy people. And crazy people have money to burn on CDs too.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
Tadou, since you mentioned shows.....Some people from the Communications Dept that I know and I are putting together our own show seperate of school and class. I've made it known that I may be able to get videos, songs, etc for the show to promote artists (and the fuckin show)...Oh yeah, we're going for all the small markets in the pacific NW-not just Ellensburg.

Anybody got some shit they wanna show, holla at me!

Apr 25, 2002
JusFamilyRecords.com
thephantomblue0 said:
I love the NW and the artists from it.

Eunuch

Thotlamic Prophet
Feb 19, 2006
Thotronto
Mr. Samos said:
Too many artists rap about a bunch of stupid useless bullshit.

They don't read anything or educate themselves. They just rap about a bunch of stupid crap that a million other rappers have already rapped about.

And it's not just in the NW, it's everywhere and anywhere.

Sure what they are rapping about could be true and completely real, but some of them glorify it and take it way too seriously pretty much to a point where it makes them look like stupid fucking idiots.

A message to the NW artists, rap about what you've been through, that's natural, but don't glorify it, or try to make it look like more than it is or try to sound "down" on your tracks like your really thuggin daily, because its nothing new, it's watered down, it's bullshit rap. Get creative and rap about real shit that people can relate to, these rappers make it look like everyone involved in hip hop is a gang banger, or a drug dealer, or a pimp, when that's just bullshit.

Those garbage tapes get trashed where I'm at not sure about ya'll though.

then how come there's rappers on majors who are saying same shit and getting rich off it.