Norteno Magazine Articles

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 10, 2002
www.mc-eiht.tk
lol, hopefully this thread will become as popular as the Norteno ALbum cover thread :)

im really intresting in readin Woodie's article from Murderdog, anybody got it???

however, ill start with the Mr Kee Interview from Murderdog:

Dec 16, 2004

Warlocc: Whut up Duke, please do a quick introduction for those who don't know you yet.

Duke: This is Duke from The Darkroom Familia. The hardest, most realest fucking Latinos in the world.

Tell us about your label, who's on it?

Duke: Our label is full of Latinos from all over Northern Cali. Oakland, Stockton, Tracy, Hayward, and many more cities. Our most famous rappers include: Duke, Sir Dyno, Crooked, Oso, K.I.D., Young D, Unknown, Young G, Dub and many more.

Let's talk about the Darkroom Familia. Who founded it and when?

Duke: Darkroom Familia was founded by Crooked, Dyno and me. We put out our first shit in '88, when we were 16 year old kids, now we're in our early 30's. We're Veteranos of the streets and of the rap business. We've met many artists from the Bay Area and toured with many artists too. We have worked with Too Short, E-40, The Luniz, JT The Bigga Figga, San Quinn, Messy Marv, 11/5 and many more.

Can you tell why the DRF is seperated right now?

Duke: DRF in not seperated, we're retired. We will always be DRF, till the wheels fall off! We just finished a new album called "Crooked, Duke Dyno - Return Of The Living Vets". It will be out in about two weeks. It's the hardest shit we've ever done. It's the last album that Sir Dyno did before he went to prison.

What's the situation with Sir Dyno? What did they charge him for, how long he'll be locked up and how's he doing right now?

Duke: All I can say is that he's locked up. Sorry. We hella miss him though... He's our real good homeboy. He's doing good, and doing his time like a man. That's what matters.

Is it possible to visit Dyno in jail? Will he ever rap again?

Duke: Yes it is possible to visit Dyno. He usually uses his visits for family and his kids. I can't talk about the case, but I can tell you it's fucked up. That's my boy and I miss him a lot. Because of all the shit that has happened he doesn't want to continue to rap. All he's focusing on is trying to do his time and get out. We had all retired anyways before all this happened. This Crooked, Duke and Dyno CD wasn't coming out of retirement for us, we just wanted to prove that the old Vets can still do this shit. It's also nice to know that if we stay retired we went out with an album like that.

What are you workin on right now, who's coming up?

Duke: "Return Of The Living Vets" is the tightest shit we've ever done. It also features all the homies in Darkroom Familia. We got a lot of new young cats that we're putting out. Kids that were our age when we started. Unknown, Young-D, Young G, Venomous and a few more.

Will there ever be another "Darkroom Familia" album, including all members?

Duke: I don't know. Right now the group is retired. I like it that way. It gives us more time to focus on the new young hungry cats on our label. But you never know. Depends on how we feel. It has to be decided by Duke and Crooked and Dyno. It would take all three votes.

What do you consider your best work? Which albums people should go for and check out first?

Duke: The best album we ever did is the new one, Crooked, Duke & Dyno. There's never been anything like it. Just full of straight Game. As far as all the other albums, I love them all, they're all classics.

Which one's the best so far of DRF?

Duke: "Homicide Kings" by the Darkroom Familia, we were at our strongest point there.

With all those features on many DRF tracks, how do you decide who gets on the track and who's gonna get it on his album?

Duke: Well, when we're working on someone's solo they'll say "OK, I would like Crooked on this cuz this is a crazy ass hardcore song". So we ask Crooked to drop a verse for them. If someone's doing a pussy song, they'll usually want me, Duke. We all like to support ourselves. Everybody wanted to be part of the Crooked, Duke & Dyno album. It features all our homeboys and it's the tightest thing out. I just got copies this week. That's all I'm bumpin' in my ride.

What equipment do you create your beats with?

Duke: We used to record on Tascam 4 tracks when we stared now it's all digital on pro tools and logic and computers.

You've done a couple of movies about the streets & the game. Do you have any new concepts or movies in the making?

Duke: Yeah, we just finished a new action/gangster movie called "Illegal Business". It's the best thing we've done so far. It'll be out early next year. We also just signed a deal to shoot two movies for a big Hollywood company. The first one is a horror movie and the second is a comedy. They will both be out next year. Also earlier this year we released a "Jackass" type of DVD called "Going To Hell" starring Wee-Man. In the U.K. it's called "What Wee-Man did next". That shit is crazy and funny as hell.

Do you have favorite actors you'd like to work with?

Duke: Our favorite actors are Sean Penn, Michael Douglas, Clint Eastwood, Jan Michael Vincent.

What does a common day in the life of Duke look like? Do you think there's a different lifestyle between Central Valley and the East Bay?

Duke: You have to understand that I'm an adult in my thirties, with a family. A typical day for me to work and handle my business, and provide for my family. But back in the days my life was all about kickin' it with the homies, going to parties, going to fucking jail, getting harrassed by cops, fucking fine ass groupies, signing hella autographs, and every fucking Monday the entire Darkroom Familia would get together and eat at Red Lobster. We all love CRAB. I guess our life would be the same anywhere.

What's your opinion on the success of Eminem and 50 Cent? I mean, you dissed a lot East Coast rappers (like Puffy), so what do you think of 50?

Duke: Well, I'm from the Bay Area, This is were independant rap started. All the words that those assholes use, they stole from us. Anytime some asshole says, Playa, or Playa Hata, or fashizzle, or Game, or pretty much any slang term, it all came from Northern Cali. It's fucked up man, we never get any credit for changing the Game. I don't like rap from anywhere else.

How do you feel about Dr. Dre?

Duke: I only liked N.W.A., I don't really care about Dr.Dre.

Do you think Chicano Rap will ever blow up or will it continue to be the underground movement that it has become in the last decade?

Duke: It will always be underground. We were the first ones to take it were it was. A lot of muthafuckas don't give us credit for paving the way for all these fools that are out now. We've been doing this shit since '88, like I said before. We were the first to do a Latino rap album all in spanish, now you got all these biters. We were first... Los Traficantes de Darkroom Familia.

Why do you think it is like that?

Duke: True Chicano rap is from the streets and for the streets, so I don't think it will ever get big.

What kind of music are you bumpin right now?

Duke: The new album. I only bump Darkroom or older Bay Area rap, like Mac Dre, IMP, Cellski.

Do you care about politics?

Duke: Yeah, I like George Bush. I can't stand Kerry. I can't stand people that are against the war. We got rid of an evil dictator and people around the world are talking shit. But they want the oil. But they won't help rebuild iraq. Bullshit.

Some last words to all the DRF fans worldwide?

Duke: Thanks for all the years of support. We are nothing without our fans. If you want to hear real shit from the streets that we came from, keep bumpin DRF, if you want to hear bullshit and be a sheep like MTV wants you to be then keep listening to the radio. Peace!

Dec 16, 2004
CROOKED DE DARKROOM FAMILIA

BROWN SOUND MAGAZINE: It's firme to have this tiempo to interview you. I remember back in 1993 when i bought my first Darkroom CD, "From the Barrio with Love." Can you give us a quick history on Darkroom?

CROOKED: Darkroom Familia was started by Duke, Dyno and Crooked. The only other homeboys that were there in the beginning was Oso and Dee-Roll. In 1988 Duke and me were doing tapes and selling them out of a gym bag at every local independent record store in the Bay Area. We would take buses and B.A.R.T. trains (that's our subway in the Bay Area) all over the Bay. We'd go to Oakland and San Francisco and San Jose and every mom & pop store that would sell rap. At the same time, Dyno was in the Central Valley doing the exact same thing. We used to run into each other when we would all happen to be performing at the same shows and clubs and lowrider carshows. When we started, there was NO ONE doing this Latino/Chicano rap s---, especially up here in Northern California. So, Duke and me took a ride out to the Central Valley, in Tracy and hooked up with Dyno. Duke brought up the idea of doing s--- together, since we are all after the same thing, why not hook up and make a sick-ass group? So we did, and the rest is history.

BSM: You been releasing cuts since 1988, thats a lot of tracks. Do you have a personnal favorite, one that sticks out for one reason or another?

CROOKED: Me, personally, I really have always liked "Connected By Honor." But I DO like a few other tracks as well. Like, "Northern Killa Cali," "Ballin' In The Valley Of Cali," "Hood Life," "El Mero, Mero," "Men Of Honor," "A Bitch In A Vato Suit," "Cholo Life" and a few others.

BSM: Have you noticed any change in the chicano/latino rap scene since you first came on the scene?

CROOKED: Yes. The fact that there IS a Latino/Chicano rap scene. Rap/hip-hop was created by Blacks and Latinos in the Bronx. There's always been Latinos involved in the rap/hip-hop scene. From Tito of The Fearless Four, to Charlie Chase of The Cold Crush Brothers, to Prince Markie Dee of The Fat Boys. But they were all Puerto Rican and from New York. Out here in Cali, there was no one. There really were no other Latino rappers to look up to, so we said "f--- it, we'll represent and put it down where we're from." Nowadays, there's LOTS of Latino rappers out. But when we first started doing s---, there was nothing but Black rappers. We all grew up and were inspired to rap by old school rappers like Too $hort (he came out in 1985 here in the Bay Area before anyone else heard of him), Ice-T, NWA, Run-DMC, LL COOL J, Eric B & Rakim, Scarface, MC SHAN, etc. So, those are the ones who inspired us to rap, especially Too $hort, 'cause that homie was a local rapper 5 minutes away from where me and Duke grew up. Nowadays, all the youngsters coming up have inspiration and influence from the growing Latino/Chicano rap scene as opposed to when we were coming up, we WERE the scene. We had to make our own scene. That's the biggest changes I see.

BSM: What about the respect factor? Do you feel you get the credit or respect you deserve from your peers?

CROOKED: Honestly, I don't give a f--- what anyone thinks. There's no denying what we've accomplished in this game. There's no denying what we've done to kick open doors for this game. No matter what anyone says, those facts cannot be denied. Game recognizes game, you feel me? Muthaf------ KNOW who's original and who's a trendsetter and who are the followers. So we definitely earned our respect in this game.

BSM: How has the movie business been treating you guys? How many movies have you guys done now?

CROOKED: We've made 12, but the last 6 have come out in video stores across the country. The latest one, "Dope Game 2" is fucking amazing. Absolutely the BEST one. Go rent that s--- now at all your local video stores on DVD and video. The movie business is GREAT. We've continued and will continue making our movies. It is a very good and profitable business. S---, we've made more with our movies than with our music 'cause the movies are f------ everywhere. We've even had them on pay-per-view. The next step is at the movie theaters.

BSM: It seems with each new flick that you guys release the production improves. What have you learned since the release of your new movie?

CROOKED: We constantly learn s--- when we make movies. Sometimes it's using different camera shots or sometimes it's different music or a different type of action we could've used that might've made it better. Ya know what I mean? So, yeah, we're always learning s---. But we definitely improve with every movie.

BSM: Is there a movie currently in the works? Can you give us a sneak preview and tell us a little about that?

CROOKED: Yeah, there's always new movies in the works. We're working on two scripts right now. One is a dope action-crime gangster-type movie and the other is a dark-ass horror movie. We haven't decided which one we're doing next because we love them both. Hell, we might decide to do them both back-to-back.

BSM: Whats your take on some of the major entertainment media outlets (MTV, VH1, radio stations, etc) who reluctantly give airplay to our gente?

CROOKED: Radio and TV don't support our gente at all. There's SOME homies getting exposure, but hardly any at all. It's gonna take something major for the corporations to take notice. We'll have to wait and see where the future takes us.

BSM: What about some of the music on the radio nowadays? What do you think of it? Is there any that you feel?

CROOKED: Me, personally, I don't really feel any at all. We're old-school. When we were youngsters, rap was a hell of a lot more hardcore. It was raw. It was underground, you feel me? It was only in the streets. Rappers got noticed by word of mouth. We used to have to physically go to the store and look for the latest underground rap release. It wasn't all over radio and t.v. like it is nowadays. All MTV played was rock videos and Michael Jackson. When we were comin' up, only the hood bumped rap music. The suburbs were listening to rock and radio s---. Now, it's mostly all watered-down and formulated. Really f----- fake and commercialized. Almost everyone sounds the same. Same ol rappers, same ol producers. It's like everyone's afraid to use different producers. How many times can you hear a f----- Neptunes beat? Or a Timbaland beat? Or a Dr. Dre beat? Don't get me wrong, I ain't knockin anyone's hustle. Do your thing. But it's just really gotten ridiculous. I still listen to all the old rappers I used to listen to, like: Scarface, Too $hort, Mac Dre, E-40, Andre Nickatina and as far as new rappers, I'd say: The Clipse, Rosco P. Coldchain. But that's really it.

BSM: There have been numerous rumors circulating about you guys, everything from you guys all getting locked up to some of you being killed. Can you clear this all up once and for all for everyone out there.

CROOKED: Ain't nothing killed us yet....only made us stronger. We're all still alive and kickin. We all got houses and s---, just staying on our hustle, constantly working with the music and movies.

BSM: So whats up with all the legal masa surrounding you guys? Is that something your able to talk about?

CROOKED: Cops love us. They're our biggest fans. They buy all of our albums and rent all of our movies. I think they all want Darkroom tats. HAHAHAHA!

BSM: What can we expect from Darkroom Familia in the future?

CROOKED: Dope ass music and movies. New Duke album-"Nasty Latins," new Crooked-Duke-&-Dyno album-"Return Of The Living Vets," brand new Darkroom Familia album, brand new solo albums from all of us, brand new movies all the time. Several movies a year. Check your local video stores for our DVDs and videos.

BSM: Any plans of a tour? I know you have a strong following in Chicago and Alburquerque anything planned for your fans?

CROOKED: I doubt it. We're REALLY busy with the movies and music plus we all got families as well. So I don't know. If the money was right, then maybe....

BSM: Any famous last words from you?

CROOKED: Yeah, much love for the support over the many years that we've been spittin this rap s---. Much love to all the gente out there for bumpin our jams. All the homies and homegirls that love our music and movies. All the raza out there, much love, we do this s--- for you and without you, we'd be nowhere. Oh and to all the police and feds out there, thanks for buying all of our albums and movies and for memorizing all of our lyrics and transcribing them for the courts. Thanks for the phone taps and the video footage you've taken of us, we didn't know you all loved our music that much. You fools are our biggest fans. If you wanna get a Darkroom tat, just hit us up, I KNOW you know the number. Check out www.brownpowerrecords.com and go rent "Dope Game 2" out now on DVD and VIDEO at all your local video stores across the country!

Dec 16, 2004

BROWN SOUND MAGAZINE: I'D LIKE TO START THINGS OFF WITH YOU GIVING US AN INTRODUCTION OF YOURSELF AND TELLING US WHAT YOUR ALL ABOUT.

NEVER: Im a latino entrepeneur/rapper/label owner/father of 5/Guinness Record holder/producer/publisher/engineer/promoter/everything I can do while Im this still breathing on this earth kind of muthaf----.... Im from Merced, Califaz and have been in this crooked ass music bizzness for well over 16 years and have released or been a part of over 90 different CD's and Soundtracks, 6 Independant movies and have filmed 5 Underground Music Videos including 1 filmed in Alcatraz....

BSM: YOU WERE ORIGINALLY A PART OF DARKROOM FAMILIA, HOW AND WHY DID THAT BREAKUP OCCUR? ANY REGRETS OR LESSONS LEARNED?

NEVER: In 93' there were only about 2 underground chicano labels really putting s--- out here in the Valle, it was Low Down and Darkroom.... We linked up and did many projects together, but at the same time we each had our own labels.... There were a lot of different reasons for the break up between us and Darkroom that would probably contain a few names getting smutted up and that aint the s--- I do, so all I will say is that when money was distributed, it wasnt done in a very honorable way.... I looked at Darkroom as Dyno, not 4 other people getting their cut and distributing crumbs to the rest of the many solid artists putting in work on the albums.... Some gente say that myself and Low Down were un appreciative and that they built our name, etc.... Not true.... But I do know this.... The s--- talkin that ever happened out of their camp was definitley not Dyno.... It wasnt in his nature.... A soldier yes, but a gossip s--- talker, No.... Sir Dyno is very intelligent and I learned a lot from that man and I am very appreciative for all he has ever done for me or helped me learn about in this game.... As far as regrets, none at all.... It was best that the 2 labels split ways and travel on new paths of our own....

BSM: SO NOW YOUR JUST CONCENTRATING ON WORKIN WITH LOW DOWN?

NEVER: Not just Low Down, but Minority Militia, Martial Law, Million Dolla Mexicanz, The Nymphoz and many solo artists.... Although my dreamz might not ever be reached, my goal is to make Califaz Entertainment the next major label.... Instead of everybody always hoping to get signed with a major, I want us to be that label.... This will not only include rap, but R&B, Alternative, Soundtracks, Comedy Albums, Greatest Hitz Records, and whatever you might think of.... And Low Down has been together since 91.... Its hard to keep a group together and after many rumors over the years of us breaking up, well its just never gonna happen.... Everybody in Low Down is a solo artist in there own right, and release there own solos, but when it finally comes to do a new Low Down album, its on again....

BSM: BEFORE YOU GOT INTO MUSIC WHAT WERE YOU DOING TO MAKE YOUR SCRILLA?

NEVER: Grindin on the streets, workin part time here or there.... I began releasing Cd's back in '92' so there was also income that way, but anybody in this bizzness knows that it isnt consistent and sometimes small and sometimes nothing.... I got a job here or there, but I just hate working to make another man richer.... I realize we need money in this world, but it aint as important than earning my own money, whether hustlin or makin music....

BSM: HOW DID YOUR NEW LABEL CALIFAZ ENTERTAINMENT COME ABOUT? AND WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR ORIGINAL LABEL, LOW TOWN RECORDS?

NEVER: Well I was and actually still am the owner of Low Town Records, however after a few mishaps, I decided to start fresh with an all new label: Califaz Entertainment.... Since dogday records burned us, and my ex-wife sued me for half of Low Town Records, well it was time to look at the past decade of music and saw that it hadn't made my million yet as Low Town and thought that there could never be a better time for a change than now....

BSM: DID YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS OR CONCERNS ABOUT LEAVING LOW TOWN RECORDS, I MEAN SINCE WAS AN ESTABLISHED LABEL AND THAT NAME CARRIED ALOT OF WEIGHT WITH IT, AND THEN STARTING ALL OVER FROM SCRATCH?

NEVER: Its just the chance that I had to take.... Once again dogday or my ex made it easier to start all over.... Plus my contract was finally up with dogday so I thought it was time to set some standards with this new label.... Starting from scratch was hard but worth it for the fact that I looked at the mistakes I made and the strong points I did and began to create an all new formula.... Of course this formula hasn't panned out yet since it is still in the process, but if it does work, I plan to have barbecues to feed the town, you feel me.... But then again, It might fail.... Its the chances I am taking....

BSM: YOUR FEATURED IN THE GUINESS BOOK OF WORLD RECORDS, CAN YOU TELL EVERYONE HOW? ANY SOLOS PLANNED FROM MINORITY MILITIA?

NEVER: It took me a year and a half of writing letters to Guinness, based out of London, England to get in there and receive my certificate.... They had to make sure we were signed with a label and that it was released worldwide and last that all the artists were on the double Cd that we released.... MINORITY MILITIA's 2nd album "THE PEOPLE'S ARMY".... We are also able to use the Guinness Logo.... Being a Record holder doesnt guarantee that we will be in the actual book, but so far so good.... 2003 GUINNESS BOOK Pg.187....Trip huh?.... Trust me it just happened that way.... 2004 GUINNESS BOOK, I believe it was on Pg.190.... THE LARGEST RAP GROUP IN THE WORLD - "MINORITY MILITIA" with 124 MEMBERS....

BSM: HOW DID MINORITY MILITIA GROW SO BIG? WHERE ARE MEMBERS FROM, ALL FROM CALIFORNIA?

NEVER: Meeting and networking with gente for the past decade.... 124+ Members spanning from Fresno to San Francisco, California.... I plan on trying to break our own record later this year with 300 Members and releasing a Quadruple CD from artists and producers from all over the world, including Germany, Spain, Argentina, Ecuador, as well as Oklahoma, Atlanta, Etc.... When I put my mind to something, I put 200% in till I reach my goal.... I dont want anybody to ever break our record.... With 300, I am sure that will lock us into history....

BSM: IM SURE EVERYONE OUT THERE HAS HEARD ALL THE MASA GOING AROUND ABOUT DOGDAY RECORDS, ARE YOU STILL WITH THEM?

NEVER: Yeah F--- dogday records.... They owe me well over $80,000 so best believe I aint got no love for them jewish muthaf-----.... At the time Darkroom was funkin with em, I couldnt say much cause they were still the people helping me feed mine and the rest of Low Down's kids.... They paid us chump change here and there but not what they owe us all in Low Down.... It caused a lot of funk even amongst our own gente.... Now that my contract is up with them, it was time to finally go independant again.... They ran off to New York for some unknown reason leaving me no physical address to get a hold of there throats....

BSM: IF ANYONE OUT THERE WHO IS THINKING OF WORKING WITH DOGDAY RECORDS, WHAT WOULD YOU WANT THEM TO KNOW ABOUT DOGDAY.

NEVER: Dogday is Chris AKA Christina, which is a dude and a Dike lady named Jo AKA Joseph, maybe about 40 years old white, jewish, greedy people who are not artists or producers but just people who make money off the people who actually earned it or actually need it.... I should of expected what was coming, but at the same time they got our name out there further than it was helping us to become independant again.... I didnt sign any contracts till our end was 50%.... After they met our needs, the contracts were signed, but the money never came in like it should.... Low Down "Valley of Death" alone sold well over 40,000 units that we know know of.... Dont make me do the math, but that album alone should of at least paid us enough to start a bank account.... After 5 or 7 albums later, I should at least have more than a cd to show for it.... But thats life.... Dont get me wrong, If I ever see them, s--- will jump off, but those scary crackerz are smarter than that.... Im thinkin of putting out a reward for someone able to find out the physical address to any of them.... Anybody in the Woodstock, New York area interested, let me know....

Dec 16, 2004
BSM: FLIPPIN THE SCRIPT, I HEARD THAT YOU WERE HOSPITALIZED AWHILE BACK. WHAT HAPPENED WITH THAT?

NEVER: Whats new.... Just a bunch of muthaf----- hatin ass bouncers at a night club here in the Valle jumped me and dropped me on my head and fractured my skull.... I flatlined a couple times in the hospital before I woke up from a coma a week later.... Probably my own fault cause I went solo, but f--- it, thats how I am.... Homiez or not Im a soldier.... Sometimez I wish I never woke up, but for some odd reason I did, so I guess I gotta keep makin my marks here in this cold world.... Some people love me and some people hate me, but for some reason muthaf----- love to hate me....

BSM: WELL NOW THAT YOU BEEN ON THE MUSIC SCENE FOR AWHILE AND MADE A NAME FOR YOURSELF. . . .IS THERE A CERTAIN ARTIST OUT THERE WHO YOU WOULD LIKE TO WORK WITH?

NEVER: 2Pac, Bob Marley, Eazy E.... If none of them are available, probably nobody.... Fa realz though, maybe Too Short, E-40, Stevie Wonder.... None of them East Coast, GI Joe pants wearin foolz though.... It aint over yet.... There are still some gangstaz over here that aint never called no truce.... West Coast right here....

BSM: YOU HAVE A NEW CD SCHEDULED FOR WORLD-WIDE RELEASE ON MARCH 30th. WANNA GIVE THE GENTE A SNEAK PREVIEW AS TO WHAT THEY CAN EXPECT ON THERE?

NEVER: Anybody who has heard of me, well its nothing you would expect from me, and to those who havent heard of me, now you will.... Album has 90% original bangin ass beats.... Gangsta Jamz, Radio Jamz, Booty Jamz, Weed Song, F--- the Cops song, Ex-wife jam.... All real s--- and global.... It took me a year and half to finish and well worth it.... Hopefully the music will speak for itself....

BSM: WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE TRACK ON THE CD?

NEVER: Tuff question cause I love em all.... I recorded about 27 songz and kept the 19 that I felt were the strongest.... So I guess the answer to your question is the entire album.... I ask people on the califaz.com website what jamz are everybody's favorite, but like alwayz its different.... I guess its different strokes for different folx....

BSM: YOU HAVE A CUT ON THERE TITLED, "SLUT 4 AN EX-WIFE." WANNA TELL US ABOUT THAT TRACK? WHAT WAS YOUR INSPIRATION FOR RECORDING IT? PERSONNALLY I LIKE IT, GREAT SONG FOR ALL THE GOLD-DIGGERS OUT THERE.

NEVER: Well in 1999 I made a nice song for the b---- and I didnt want that to be my last one for her, which brought on "SLUT 4 AN EX-WIFE".... It doesnt get more real than that song right there.... B---- sued me for half of Low Town so I am sure she will be suing me for this song.... But bad publicity is good publicity in this game.... For the people who think its mean, well that b---- deserved every bit of it and yes her p---- smells like an armpit.... Haha.... F--- with me and I clown someone worldwide, so bring it on.... It was the last song I will ever make for the b---- and it definitely left a big load off my shoulders after recording it.... And yes I do have a Slut for an Ex-wife....

BSM: SO WHAT CAN WE EXPECT FROM YOU AND CALIFAZ ENTERTAINMENT IN THE NEAR FUTURE?

NEVER: Not quantity but quality.... Like I said I wanna set the standards, as far as tight songs, recording quality, and overall bangin classic albums.... Next album to drop is the new group "THE NYMPHOZ" which is under the premise of Chicano, Too Short kind of s---.... No gangsta jams but str8 booty jams....

BSM: ANY FAMOUS LAST WORDS, SHOUT-OUTS OR PLUGS FROM YOU BEFORE WE CLOSE THIS INTERVIEW?

NEVER: Califaz Entertainment is gonna railroad this industry in 2004.... 100% Independant and 100% Chicano owned.... NEVER "LiFE OF CRiME" - Find out what took me a year and a half, 2 felonies, a divorce, flatlined twice, 3 new kids, gang enhancements, a fractured skull, restraining orders and a coma to finish.... Witness the Resurrection - NEVER "LiFE OF CRiME".... being released worldwide by Califaz Entertainment.... WWW.CALIFAZ.NET

Dec 16, 2004
LIL CONER DE CONNECTED INC.

BROWN SOUND MAGAZINE: CAN YOU START OFF WITH AN INTRODUCTION OF YOURSELF AND LET EVERYONE KNOW WHAT YOUR ALL ABOUT, AND TELL US WHO LIL CONER IS.

LIL CONER: PUES, TO START OF WITH THE BASICS, I'M A 27 YEAR OLD CHICANO FROM DECOTO CALIFORNIA.FROM THE SAME CITY YOU HEAR CEASAR CHAVEZ SPEAK ABOUT.THE SAME CITY THAT ASSAINATED THE CHIEF OF POLICE FOR THE INICENT KILLING OF ONE OUR BROTHERS. BASICALLY I COME FROM A DEEPLY ROOTED VARRIO WHO'S MEXICANO CULTURE PLAYS A BIG ROLL IN OUR YOUTH'S DEVOLOPEMENT AS IT DID MINE. SOME OF MY BELIFES AS A YOUNG ENDED UP COSTING ME EIGHT YEARS OF MY ADOLESENCE IN THE CALIFORNIA YOUTH AUTORITY FOR MURDER.

BSM: HOW DID YOUR LABEL, CONNECTED INC. COME ABOUT?

LIL CONER: AS AN INDEPENDENT ARTIST IT BECOMES A HASSLE TO ALWAYS RELY ON OTHER VATOS TO GET THINGS DONE FOR YOU SO IN REACTION TO THAT I STARTED CONNECTED INC. THE NAME WAS EASY TO COME UP WITH BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH I'M AN INDEPENDENT LABEL THE RESORCES I'VE ACCUMILATED HAVE KEPT ME WELL "CONNECTED" IN THE INDUSTRY.
BSM: WHAT WAS YOUR INSPIRATION FOR YOUR ALBUM, MAMA TRIED? WE ALL HEARD IT HERE AND DAMN YOU GOT SOME FIRME ROLAS ON THERE. DO YOU HAVE A PERSONNAL FAVORITE TRACK ON THERE?

LIL CONER: THAT'S THE HARD PART OF PUTTING THIS ALBUM TOGETHER BECAUSE IT'S A CONSENT REMINDER OF MY MAMA'S PASSING. DON'T GET ME WRONG I UNDERSTAND THAT PEOPLE PASS AWAY PERO I FEEL AT FORTY TWOS YEARS OF AGE MY JEFA WAS NO WHERE NEAR READY, ALSO, BEING BEHIND BARS DID'NT MAKE IT NO EASIER. THE LAST TIME I SEEN MY MAMA "ALIVE" I WAS IN A ORANGE JUMP SUIT SHACKLED TRYING TO HOLD MY TEARS SO THE PLACAS WOULD'NT SEE ME CRY. MY FAVORITE TRACK THOUGH IT'S ONLY AN INTO IS MAMA TRIED. THERE ARE LRYICS TO THAT TRACK PERO WHEN I WENT TO RECORD IT I COULD'NT DO IT.

BSM: WHAT WOULD YOU SAY SEPARATES YOUR MUSIC FROM OTHER CHICANO/LATINO ARTISTS OUT THERE?

LIL CONER: AS A CHICANO RAPPER I FEEL THERE'S A LOT OF ELIMENTS THAT SEPERATE ME FROM OTHER CHICANOS RAPPERS. FOR ONE MY VARRIO AS BEFORE MENTIONED I'M FROM A VARRIO WHO'S ROOTS GROW DEEP. PLUS I'M FROM THE BAY AREA WHERE WE TEND TO SET TRENDS INSTEAD OF STICKING TO THE "NORM". AT THE SAME TIME I WAS LOCKED UP FOR EIGHT YEARS AMONGST SO MANY DIFFERNT RACES, CLICKAS, AND POINT OF VIEWS THE YOU CAN'T HELP BUT TO PICK UP ON SOME OF THEIR IDEAS, TU SABES?

BSM: WHO DID YOU GROW UP LISTENING TO? WERE YOU AT ALL INFLUENCED BY AN ARTIST OR A TYPE OF MUSIC?

LIL CONER: HA HA. SERIO I FIND IT KIND OF FUNNY BECAUSE MY VARRIO WHEN I WAS GROWING UP WAS LIKE AN EAST SIDE STORY THAT NEVER STOPPED. RAP WAS OF MY LEAST PLEASURABLE LISENTING TREATS. STILL TO THIS DAY OLDIES RULE MY TAPE DECK. THERE IS'NT NADA LIKE PUTTING ON GENE CHANDLER OR BILLY STERWART AND GROOVING.

BSM: OH HELL YEA I FEEL YOU WITH BILLY STEWART. DO YOU HAVE ANY PLANS TO DO WORK WITH ANY OTHER ARTISTS OUT THERE?

LIL CONER: TO BE HONEST IT COMES AS IT GOES. IF AT A CERTAIN TIME I GET AN ITCH I'LL ACT ON IT PERO IT'S NO BIG DEAL TO ME. HOWEVER IF I COULD WRITE A SONG AND HAVE THE MOMENTS OR THE TEMPREES DO THE HOOK ....SHAAA!

BSM: WHAT CAN WE EXPECT FROM YOU IN 2004? ANY COMPILATIONS OR OTHER PROJECTS YOU PLAN ON BEING A PART OF?

LIL CONER: AS I'M STILL FOCUSED ON GETTING "MAMA TRIED" OUT THERE I WANTED TO BE SOMETHING NEW FOR THE SOME SO I'M DROPPING CONNECTED INC. PRESENTS "BALLED OUT". THIS CD FEATURES SPEEDY LOC (RIP), SPICE ONE, NEVER, YOUNG DROOP, LIL CONER, LOU E LOU, JT THA BIGGA FIGGA, BIG OSO LOC, BABY BOY ENE, DAZ DILLINGER AND MORE.

BSM: HOW DID YOU GET INTO THE RAP GAME?

LIL CONER: WELL, I CAME ABOUT WHEN I WAS TORCIDO AFTER MY MOM'S PASSING. I STARTED WRITING POEMS TO LET SOME OF THE STRESS OUT. I READ IT TO A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE AND HE'S LIKE, "THAT'S A TIGHT SONG". I WAS LIKE, "A SONG? THAT'S A POEM BRO". THEN WHEN I GOT OUT I WAS IN RENO AND RAN INTO SPEEDY. HE STARTED TELLING ME ABOUT HIS CD THATS ABOUT TO DROP AND I'M LIKE SHIT I CAN RAP AND SPIT FOR HIM RIGHT THERE. THE REST IS HISTORY.

BSM: WOULD YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE TALKING ABOUT YOUR HOMEBOY SPEEDY-LOC? JUST KINDA HOPING YOU CAN TAKE A BIT OF TIME AND LET EVERYONE KNOW WHAT HE MEANT AND WHAT HE DID FOR YOU.

LIL CONER: MAN, ANDREW WAS A FIRME DUDE.TO BRING ME INTO THE GAME THE WAY HE DID. HE OPENED SO MANY DOORS FOR ME PERO F--- THIS RAP S---....HE WAS FIRME GENTE. I STILL SEE THE VATO, AT THE AGE OF 13 ALREADY A FATHER AND TAKING HIS FATHERHOOD SERIOUSLY. WHEN I WAS LOCKED UP I HEARD RUMORS OF HIM RAPPING AND WAS LIKE YEAH RIGHT WHO DOES THE VATO THINK HE IS EAZY-E? PERO HE DID JUST THAT.

BSM: HAVE YOU DONE ANY SHOWS? IF SO, HOW DID THOSE TURN OUT? WHATS BEEN SOME OF YOUR MOST MEMORABLE EVENTS SINCE YOU STARTED IN THIS MUSIC BUSINESS?

LIL CONER: SIMON I'VE DONE PERFORMED WITH SIR DYNO, MAC DRE, R.B.L.POSSE, SPEEDY LOC AND MANY OTHER ARTIST.(Laughs out loud)-SERIO ONE TIME I WAS AT THE MALL AND I HEARD MY NAME BEING CALLED. I TURNED AROUND AND THERE WAS THESE THREE KIDS.ONE WAS LIKE YOU'RE LIL. CONER RIGHT? HE HANDED ME A PIECE OF PAPER TO SIGN AND AS I WAS SIGNING IT I COULD HEAR HIS FIND SAYING I AINT GOT NO PIECE OF PAPER F--- IMA ASK HIM TO SIGN MY SHIRT.

BSM: YOUR GETTING SPUN IN VEGAS RIGHT? ANY OTHER CITIES OUT THERE WHERE YOUR TRACK(S) ARE GETTING SPUN? DO YOU THINK THE LACK OF RADIO PLAY HAS HELD CHICANO/LATINO ARTISTS BACK IN THIS GAME?

LIL CONER: I'M GETTING PLAYED IN VEGAS ON THE CHICANO RAP PROGRAM THEY GOT AND GET RADIO PLAY ON THE LOCAL COLLEGE STATION OUT HERE. PERO YEAH, I FEEL THE LACK OF RADIO PLAY DOES LIMIT US CHICANOS FROM THE EXPOSURE WE NEED. THE MEDIA ALWAYS SEE'S RAZA AS BEING TO HARD CARE PERO LOOK AT THESE RAPPERS, I MEAN THEY GOT LITTLE WHITE KIDS CRIP WALKING BECAUSE IT LOOKS COOL. HOWEVER THE MOMENT ONE OF US MENTION NORTE OR SUR THEY JUMP ON IT LIKE IT'S WRONG TO REPRESENT YOUR VARRIO.

BSM: DO YOU HAVE A WEBSITE WHERE GENTE CAN LEARN MORE ABOUT YOU OR ORDER YOUR CD?

LIL CONER: SIMON, YOU CAN GO TO WWW.SPEEDYLOC.COM TO CHECK OUT THE ROLAS OFF MY ALBUM. IF LIL CONER MAMA TRIED AINT IN YOUR LOCAL RECORD STORE YOU CAN ORDER IT OFF THE WEB SITE.

BSM: WANNA THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO SIT DOWN AND DO THIS INTERVIEW, ANY LAST THING YOU WANT THE GENTE TO KNOW OUT THERE?

LIL CONER: BE SURE TO CHECK OUT LIL CONER MAMA TRIED, IT'S AN ALBUM THAT THOSE WHO UNDERSTAND THE INNER-CITY AND WHAT ROLE IT PLAYS ON US CHICANOS WILL DIG. I CAN'T ERASE THE FACT THAT I WAS RAISED IN THE VARRIO, SO I WILL NEVER REGRET THE THINGS I SAY IN MY MUSIC!
WWW.CONNECTEDINC.NET

Dec 26, 2004
Thats what I keep reading from here. That Mr. Kee iz a Norteno but doesnt rap about it that much, N also he was with Darkroom when they started but they dont mentioned that when they do Nterviews.

Jan 27, 2003
yayfilthyfiu
NORTENO-NATION said:
Kee is a Norteno. He does not rap about it, he puts it down on wax on another tip....

KEE....IS'NT A HOMEBOY, THINK OTHERWISE ASK THE HOMIES FROM THE SCO....-N- 2 KEEP IT REALLY....IF YOU A HOMEBOY, YOU GONNA STAND BY THAT REP IT PROUDLY -N- NOT SWEEP IT UNDER THE RUG OR HIDE IT IN THE SHADOWS....

NORTENO-NATION....JUST LIKE YOUR SCREEN NAME I BET YOU FELT GOOD ABOUT THAT ONE....ITS SIMPLE WHEN YOUR PASSIONATE ABOUT SOMETHING YOU REPRESENT IT YOU DONT DENY IT....IT IS WHAT IT IS....YOU STAY UP HOMIE.