Nollywood

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 24, 2003
I read this in an article from The Economist and thought it was pretty interesting;

It is hard to avoid Nigerian films in Africa. Public buses show them, as do many restaurants and hotels. Nollywood, as the business is known, churns out about 50 full-length features a week, making it the world’s second most prolific film industry after India’s Bollywood.
http://www.economist.com/node/17723124

The article discusses some of the cultural implications of Nollywood but what really struck me was the fact I had no idea Nollywood was such a phenomenon (intrinsic ethnocentrism)

Has anyone ever seen a Nollywood movie or know much more about them?

Nov 24, 2003
nigeria has the third largest film making industry in the world behind france and the usa,
its a simple yet complex industry there

Define "largest" - because the article I posted ranked Nigeria's film industry (based on their criteria) as the 2nd in the world, behind India and ahead of the USA which was 3rd.

May 13, 2002
sorry your correct, india then usa then nigeria, heres how it worked in nigeria when i was into film making, the budgets are small, only the main actors get paid,(very little) maybe 1000 -to 10,000 usd , the movies are then sold to local distributors who make the copies and sel one the street to local store owners and swap meet vendors , the movies are very long, maybe 3-4 hours , and if it sells good then they make a part 2 and maybe part 3