Niners use franchise tag on Julian Peterson and sign Barlow to a 5 year extention!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 8, 2002
The 49ers made sure Monday not to let linebacker Julian Peterson and running back Kevan Barlow get away when free agency begins March 3.

Peterson was named the team's exclusive franchise player, meaning he'll be with the 49ers at least through 2004 at a cost projected between $5.8 million and $7.2 million, general manager Terry Donahue announced.

Meanwhile, Barlow agreed to a five-year, $20 million contract that includes $8 million in guaranteed bonuses, according to Barlow's Walnut Creek-based agent, Doug Hendrickson.

"I'm excited. I'm happy. I'm overwhelmed," said Barlow, a three-year veteran who's expected to unseat Garrison Hearst as the 49ers' starting running back. "I'm glad the owner, the organization and the coaches have the confidence in me to get the job done."

Donahue said the 49ers have "not come to a conclusion" regarding the fate of Hearst, who's been asked to take a pay cut from his $2.5 million base salary for 2004.

Donahue said the 49ers would have tendered Barlow, a restricted free agent, a one-year, $1.8 million contract that would have forced teams to give up a first- and a third-round draft pick if they would have signed him and the 49ers didn't match the offer.

Barlow's deal doesn't include any voidable years, which is relevant considering contracts of some key 49ers were voided after this past season, including those of Peterson, receiver Terrell Owens, cornerback Ahmed Plummer and defensive end John Engelberger.

"They're paying Kevan as an elite running back, and they did not want to give him the chance to void it," Hendrickson said. "They wanted him around. (Void clauses) are something they wanted to avoid considering what happened to so many guys recently."

Donahue, in a teleconference from Indianapolis, said he expects "a whole bunch" of the 49ers' pending free agents to test the market, including Owens.

Owens, a four-time Pro Bowl selection, is expected to void the final three years of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent.

If Owens signs elsewhere, the most the 49ers can get in return is a compensatory third-round draft pick from the league, but that depends on how many high-priced free agents the 49ers lose and how many they sign. A shopping spree is unlikely, especially considering the 49ers spent only $155,000 on unrestricted free agents last offseason, according to NFL players association documents.

"I don't view our cash flow as an impediment to our activity in the free agent market," Donahue said. "I do view our cap health as an impediment."

Donahue said the 49ers never had any intentions of using the franchise tag on Owens unless they reached a long-term deal with Peterson.

Two months of negotiations failed to settle an impasse between the 49ers and Peterson's representative, Kevin Poston. Peterson was unavailable for comment, and Poston didn't return telephone messages.

By receiving the "exclusive" tag, Peterson will be tendered a one-year contract worth the average of the five highest salary cap figures for linebackers in 2004. That amount will be determined after April 16, but Donahue valued it between $5.8 million to $7.2 million.

Had Peterson received the "non-exclusive" marker, another team could have signed him in exchange for two first-round draft picks if the 49ers chose not to match such an offer.

"We've made him a real competitive offer," Donahue said. "We put him in a linebacker category with Brian Urlacher, Derrick Brooks and LaVar Arrington. We're hopeful at some point in time, it may be a while down road, that we get a long-term deal done. ... (Poston) made an offer, a firm proposal, but we're so far apart that there was no point in using up any more energy in trying to get it done."

Donahue said talks will resume this week in regards to restructuring quarterback Jeff Garcia's contract, which calls for a $9.958 million salary this year.

"Jeff has the right to be concerned about his own career, short term and long term," Donahue said. "He's a great player and a great guy. We've got to look at what's important to this organization over the next three years. We've got to make sure we get cap healthy. It's very important we choose cap health over cap hell."

If the 49ers release Garcia before the March 2 salary cap deadline, Garcia would count close to $10 million against the 2004 cap. Donahue said no team has inquired about trading for Garcia and the 49ers haven't granted Garcia permission to talk with other teams about possible trades.

The 49ers have four quarterbacks under contract -- Garcia, Tim Rattay, Ken Dorsey and Brandon Doman, who was re-signed earlier this month after being released before last season.

NOTE: Right tackle Scott Gragg has restructured his contract, slashing his base salary from $2.5 million to $660,000 in exchange for a $1.84 million signing bonus, according to his agent, Ken Staninger.

May 2, 2002
Originally posted by me...

If they can't get a contract done with Peterson, they will franchise him before T.O.
I tried to tell you guys. You were so sure that they were going to franchise T.O.

Looks like Peterson wasn't more than willing to work out a deal after all.