Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
d jack should be cut as well, im more sold on lelie than stallworth.... im more sold on Antonio Bryant over Stallworth

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Still not convinced the 49ers will pay big bucks for Briggs

Tampering? No way. That stuff really happens in the NFL?

But in this case of 49ers-Briggs NegotiGate, I don't get it. I've gotten the impression from Mike Nolan and Scot McCloughan that they did not have as much interest in Bears linebacker Lance Briggs as believed. It could be that the 49ers are being used to help jack up the interest in Briggs on the free-agent market.

That said, everybody in the world knows tampering takes place. How else to explain some of the stuff that happens every year on the first day of free agency?

OK, let's see . . . free agency typically starts at 9:01 p.m. (PT) on a Thursday. Last year, Nate Clements and Michael Lewis were at the 49ers' facility just hours later after coming in from their respective offseason homes. Their first confirmed sighting in Santa Clara was 12:26 p.m. (PT) on Friday. (They probably arrived at least an hour before that.)

The 49ers were obviously very prepared and acted quickly. At midnight on the East Coast, they arranged for flights for Clements and Lewis. You figure both of those men must have caught westbound planes about six hours later to sign their contracts.

That stuff happens around the league, too.

Those Q&As with Mike Nolan and Scot McCloughan that I posted yesterday were a lot to weed through. Both of those press conferences were very long. They took place at the NFL scouting combine. I was chasing my kids around, more than 2,000 miles away. In case you didn't have time to read through them, I've pulled out some of the most notable stuff.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Combine Odds and Ends
print

Chrissy Mauck
February 22, 2008

The action at the Combine picked up speed on Friday with the first workout and the first bench press. Here are some off the odds and ends gathered from Day Two at the Combine.

Ohio State's Kirk Barton watches as the remainder of his group benches.
Bench Press
Michigan tackle Jake Long churned out the most reps of the 225 bench press with 37, followed closely by Rutgers Jeremy Zuttah (35) and Ohio State’s Kirk Barton who finished with 34. Next up were Cal’s Michael Gibson, Northern Iowa’s Brandon Keith and Nebraska’s Carl Nicks with 31 reps, followed closely by Toledo’s John Greco and Pittsburgh’s Michael McGlynn who had both had 30.

Members of the 49ers staff watched the group intently and offered their philosophy on the amount of reps each player did.

“You just hope that guys get up in a respectable rep range,” said 49ers strength coach Duane Carlisle. “For guys with longer arms, that’s a little tougher so you don’t judge them the same as some of the barrel-chested guys but you just want to mainly see how they compete. If they are stuck on a rep, it’s always good when you see them really push through and fight to finish it.”

First Workout
The punters and kickers were the first to take the field at the RCA Dome with a Friday afternoon workout. Louisville kicker Arthur Carmody proved to be the most accurate with perfection on all 15 of his kicks. Wisconsin’s kicker Taylor Mehlhaff missed one field goal, but proved to have the strongest leg of the bunch.

49ers Steve Young Gets Shout Out
Notre Dame offensive lineman John Sullivan heralds from the same Greenwich, Connecticut hometown of 49ers Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young. Sullivan said he’s met the former 49ers a few times at some athletic dinners in his hometown.

“A lot of people take a lot of pride in Greenwich that Steve is from there,” said Sullivan. “Growing up in Connecticut, you’d never expect to see so many San Francisco 49ers fans but there’s quite a few.”

Sullivan has had other NFL exposure at Notre Dame with head coach Charlie Weiss.

“I think it should help me with learning a new NFL system wherever I end up because I’ve been through that process with Coach Weiss. It could help me understand a new NFL system better when it’s my time.”

49ers Jerry Rice Also Gets Shout Out
Cal wide receiver DeSean Jackson said his mentor has been former 49ers receiver Jerry Rice. Rice spent ten days down in Pensacola, Florida training Jackson in order to get him Combine ready.

“Jerry’s a great dude. I’m just very fortunate to be able to work with him. Like I say, he came on and he was just very supportive of me. Like I said, great mentor. He has all the right things to say. Basically off the field was the biggest thing that he tried to preach to me. How you treat people when you go meet people and things like that because you’ll always be able to build relationships and people will remember you. Through this whole process I was definitely in the books with him, talking to him, just hanging out with him just trying to pick his mind and do the best things I could do and learn from him.”

Who Will Work?
Boston College QB Matt Ryan will run the 40 but he doesn’t plan to throw at the Combine.

QB Matt Ryan

His reasoning…

“We have a bubble up over our stadium at BC. We’ve got great conditions to throw on Pro Day. For me, I want to portray to the teams that are going to be looking at my skills in an accurate representation of what it would be like in a game situation. I want to throw to the guys I know and give the teams a chance to look at what I’m capable of doing.”

WR Early Doucet had a hamstring injury that kept him out of the Senior Bowl and will wait to run and do his drills at his Pro Day at LSU.

“God has things happen for a reason, so obviously there was a purpose behind me tweaking my hamstring,” said Doucet. “But at the same time it was also a good experience to go down there and interact with some of the NFL coaches, have some interviews and just get accustomed to running the NFL offense. I mean, you can’t let it get you down. Like I said, God has a plan for you. So I’m just putting all my faith in God and he’s going to eventually have me ready for my pro day and allow me to perform at a high level.”

Texas WR Limas Sweed also aggravated his wrist injury at the Senior Bowl during the first day of practice.

“The wrist is 100 percent healed. I’ve been going through a lot of MRIs, x-rays and it’s 100 percent healed,” said Sweed of his injury. “The range of motion, out of 100 percent is I’d say about 65 percent – more than halfway, which is good. I talked to a lot of people in there and they said considering the amount of time that’s a pretty speedy recover. So I’m happy and I’m on my way back to being 100 percent.”

Sweed will run the 40, but has not yet determined whether or not he’ll catch balls at the Combine. He’s not worried however about coaches or scouts doubting his competitive nature, thanks to the Senior Bowl.

Said Sweed of why he tried another day of practice in Mobile after tearing some scar tissue in his wrist,” I wanted to show: A) that I could get open, and B) that I could run by guys; but also that I am a tough guy willing to compete – because I felt like coaches at the University of Texas, they knew that every day I come out there and compete. But the NFL coaches, they never had a chance to meet me, so I wanted to come in and leave an impression on them that I’m here and I’m going to compete.”

Division III in the House
Wide receiver Pierre Garcon came through the media room and drew attention as he's a rare Division III player to receive a Combine invite. Garcon played at Mt. Union this year, losing in the National Championship.

"I'm very blessed to be here, whether I get drafted or not," said Garcon. "There are a lot of D-I guys who aren't here. I feel like I will get drafted but I need to show everyone what I can do because we don't get a lot of coverage so people don’t know too much about me."

Now that he’s here Garcon, said he feels like he’s just as deserving as any other player at the Combine, although he admitted the invitation was quite a surprise.

“I got it in the mail, and I thought it was an agent, one of those packages a lot of agents send to your house,” said Garcon. “I saw the return (address), it said Indianapolis. I was like, ‘Oh, man.’ I couldn’t even explain. I was thrilled to have it, but I thought it was a joke at first. I was afraid to open it, but I found out it was real and I was happy about it.”

Garcon said he didn’t have the grades to play at a Division I school, but that his sisters eventually got him straightened out.

“In high school I didn’t have the best grades to play all four years so I played my last two years. I was overlooked because of that. My sisters really convinced me. I thought football would just take me anywhere.

I didn’t have the grades to go D1 and my sisters got on me so I decided to change that up real quick.”

Turning the Tables
Louisville receiver Harry Douglas may have been the media darling during Friday’s interview sessions, sticking around even to watch his teammate, Brian Brohm, answer questions.

Douglas also noted that the interview process, which includes media, scouts and coaches does not always involve being on the receiving end of questions.

“I think sometimes you’ve got to turn it around and ask questions too,” said Douglas. “I think maybe I’ve surprised a few teams by that, but I think if you’ve got questions, you need to ask them.”

General Manager Scot McCloughan and head trainer Jeff Ferguson review the day's medical report.
Medicals
The thorough Combine medical evaluation process is about the most important thing that will come out of the next few days in Indianapolis. 49ers head trainer Jeff Ferguson said they saw 89 players on Wednesday and 109 on Thursday.

Cleaning up Character Issues
Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan left his first university of choice, Colorado, after an arrest.

“I was accused of some crimes a jury found me not guilty of. For instance, the trespass and burglary charges that stuck - Trespass for entering a room unlawfully, yet three people testified they witnessed me invited into the room. Burglary charge for not leaving the room when asked to leave, yet I passed a polygraph test that I was never asked to leave the room. At the same time it's not like what I did that night was innocent. I was drunk and I put myself in a bad situation. I've learned from that and I take full responsibility from that.”

Asked what he learned from the situation and how he’s changed, Brennan responded, “It basically taught me life is not fair. I'm the one who is at fault for putting myself in that situation, but there were a lot of things that transpired after I got in trouble that wasn't right, that wasn't fair. I had to go through a lot of tough times and it made me a lot tougher internally. It made me realize life is not fair, you have to make life what it is. I was able to go on and have some success and experience some great things because of the mental way I changed. I think it's really helped me for the lifestyle you're about to enter, going into the NFL.”

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
February 23, 2008
Q&A: Tampergate

Question: I think the league should let San Francisco perform its own investigation and report back to them. If the San Francisco investigation produces any documents or depositions to support a tampering charge, the Niners should give the information to the league. At that point the league should destroy the documents and studiously avoid suspending any responsible individuals. Ohhh. I forgot. We're not the San Francisco Patriots.
Bill, La Canada

Answer: Biting. Sarcastic. Irreverent. Couldn’t have written it any better myself.
- Matt

Question: It was announced that the Patriots have chosen NOT to place the franchise tag on Randy Moss. Is there any chance in hell that Martz (or Nolan) would be even remotely interested in trying to snatch him up (even though he's a malcontent)? I know Moss has proven to be happier and work harder for a winning team, but Martz's offense and a ton of cash might make him think twice...Thoughts?
Kevin, Sacramento

Answer: Moss doesn’t exactly have fond memories on the Bay Area. I think he’s much more interested in a Super Bowl ring (soon) than he is an extra million or so. The word “rebuilding” scares players of Moss’s age.
- Matt

Question: Matt, who are the free agents that the 49ers are most likely to sign in 2008?
Preston, Las Vegas

Answer: I’m guessing …QB J.T. O’Sullivan, DE Justin Smith and WR Bernard Berrian.
- Matt

Question: Matt-hindsight being 20/20, where do you guess the 49ers would be if they had drafted Shawne Merriman instead of Alex Smith in 2005 and waited to draft Jay Cutler or Matt Leinart instead of Vernon Davis in 2006? Would Merriman have been worth a first pick of the draft? Thank you. I enjoy reading your blog.
Bob, San Francisco

Answer: Remember, Cutler and Leinart have won just as many playoff games as Alex Smith despite better surrounding casts. … As far as the revisionist history No. 1 pick of 2005, Merriman’s a good choice and so is Braylon Edwards.
- Matt

Question: Glad the Niners traded last year's #1 pick. There is a lot of depth in this year's draft but not any elite talent, so at #29 they are getting a good price. My feeling is they address O-line, D-line, depth at linebacker now that Derek Smith is gone, and receiver, receiver, receiver, receiver. How many draft picks do the 49ers have this year?
David, Antelope

Answer: They have six picks. And I would adjust your priority list to D-line, O-line, receiver, receiver, receiver.
- Matt

Question: Has there been any talks about possibly making a deal with New England for Donte Stallworth? He is from Sacramento and, I believe, is not a starter. I feel he would be a real plus (and no off-field baggage/Bryant).
Jim, Sacramento

Answer: That’s a good question. I have not heard any Stallworth scuttlebutt, but he makes sense for a few reasons: He’s young. He’s local. He’s fast. And he’s available – it looks like he’ll be a free agent. The 49ers also have had a good relationship with Stallworth’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, although that relationship might be a tad frayed after the Lance Briggs controversy.
- Matt

Question: Matt, here's my question: Despite the fact that WR position is of great concern, do you see it being the greatest of concerns? If not, then where? Personally, I would like to see Nolan address the absence of 2-gap defenders on our defensive line and our ailing offensive line with our first and second picks. Also, do you think we'll be addressing the "Ted" position through the draft?
Greg, Vallejo

Answer: Yes, I also see the 49ers addressing OL and DL immediately not only because they are thin positions on the team but because there should be some quality players available at pick No. 29, especially at OT. Like I wrote before, unless Dan Connor drops to them, I don’t see the team drafting a Ted until rounds 4-6.
- Matt

Question: Hey Matt, Jeff Ulbrich played well when given the opportunity last season. What are the team’s thoughts on letting him start next to Willis? He isn’t afraid to take on blockers and doesn’t mind not getting glory. Thanks.
Tyler, Chico

Answer: I’m a huge Jeff Ulbrich fan. No one plays with more love of the game than No. 53. He certainly has the ability and the will and the lack of ego to play that position. The question is whether his body, which got beat up pretty badly in a limited defensive role last season, can withstand the rigor of the position. Ulbrich plays with the reckless abandon of a 21-year-old. As it happens, he’s 31 years old.
- Matt

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Combine Responses

In an answer to Renoberger's question about free agent defensive end Justin Smith's 40-yard dash time, we looked on NFLdraftscout.com for the 2001 draft and there was no 40-yard dash time listed for Smith. He did 26 bench press reps at 225 pounds and had a 20 on the wonderlic, and an 34-inch vertical leap.

Even though the 49ers appear interested in Smith, he'll go quickly, which means some team will overpay for him. Regardless of how good a player is, anyone going in the first day or so for free agency will be over paid. Do the 49ers want to overpay for a seven-year defensive end who had two sacks last year?

If the 49ers consider Antonio Bryant, why not also take a look at Jevon Kearse, who was released by the Eagles? They might be better off signing someone like Kearse, who was released from the Eagles and had three-and-a-half sacks in the first eight games last year before injuries once again set in. If the 49ers could get him on an inexpensive, incentive-laden deal, why not?

As far as Bryant, coach Mike Nolan has always liked him. But in order to come back, he'd have to demonstrate he had the mental stability to handle being in the league again. He'd also have to repair his relationship with Alex Smith. They couldn't stand each other.

The feeling in Indy at the college scouting combine is the Bears made a bigger deal of the 49ers' tampering charges than was warranted on linebacker Lance Briggs. The situation seems to be dying down. The 49ers really seemed poised to make a free-agent play for him, and they have a good relationship with his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, who's also Frank Gore's agent. Rosenhaus said Thursday that Briggs would hit the market.

Diamondeye is dead on about Randy Moss. Terrell Owens and Moss will build a team up if its winning and tear it down if its losing. From my understanding, the 49ers aren't interested in Moss.

In the draft, the 49ers might have to go after a tackle or cornerback in the first round because those positions are so deep. The rest of the draft should be devoted to pass rushers and wide receivers or maybe another corner - anything to increase the speed on the edges.

Concerning wide receiver Arnaz Battle's hands, he was the only receiver with over 40 catches in 2006 to not drop a pass. Last year, he dropped several.

Posted By: Kevin Lynch (Email) | February 23 2008 at 12:42 AM

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
49ers' FA budget: No more than $20 million
'

The 49ers have a little less than $30 million in salary-cap room, which means they have probably budgeted no more than $20 million in 2008 cap space for free-agent signings. They still have to sign their draft class, and teams typically like to have at least a $5 million cushion heading into the season to account for players who go on injured reserve and other emergencies, as well as the possibility of offering contract extensions.

The 49ers can get a lot done with $20 million when the signing period begins Thursday at 9:01 p.m. (PT), but as Mike Nolan and Scot McCloughan said they aren't just going to spend the Yorks' money just to spend it.

The 49ers can definitely sign at least one big-ticket guy, and they can structure a contract in a way that won't kill them for the future. They did that last year with Nate Clements. The 49ers had plenty of cap room, so they gave him a $10 million roster bonus, which counts immediately against the cap. Therefore, Clements had a $11.1 million cap figure in his first season. The next three years, he will count $5.55 million (2008), $5.68 ('09) and $8.17 million ('10) against the cap. The 49ers can get out of that deal prior to the 2011 season and they'll be just fine, as far as the cap goes.

The 49ers will also have the ability to make a run at several so-called Second Tier free agents - such as lesser-known players at guard and inside linebacker spots.

Am I being naïve and stubborn about insisting Lance Briggs doesn't fit with the 49ers? Perhaps. We'll see next week. But here's my point:

Games in the NFL are won on the outside. If teams are going to spend money on defense, spend it on cornerbacks and pass-rushers. If there's a need on the interior of the line, feel free to spend it there, too.

But don't spend huge money on a linebacker who does not rush the passer when you already have an outstanding young player who runs around the field and makes tackles. Why sign somebody who does the same thing as Patrick Willis but who'll make at least twice as much money? I don't think the position is so important that you need to invest so much money for two players at that spot.

Would the linebacker crew of Willis, Briggs, Manny Lawson and anybody else be a among the league's elite units? Heck, yes. But nobody in that group can be counted upon to scare an opposing offense in pass-rush situations. Briggs has 5.5 sacks in five seasons.

Briggs is really good at playing downhill and attacking the line of scrimmage. But you want to know something? The 49ers' run defense was pretty darn good last season. Run defense is the least of the 49ers' concerns.

Sure, the 49ers ranked No. 22 in the league in rushing yards allowed per game. But that was only because the team was so bad and the opposition always had a lead in the second half, so they stayed with the run. Only the Dolphins and Jets had more rush attempts against them. If you look at average yards per rush attempt, the 49ers were fifth-best in the league, yielding just 3.8 yards per carry.

The 49ers' biggest needs in free agency are defensive line, outside pass rusher and wide receiver (not necessarily in that order).

So who's out there?

Here are three intriguing players in that defensive line/pass rusher category:

Justin Smith (Bengals): I'm of the opinion that he could be a good player as a DE in a 3-4, but others disagree. I think he looks bigger than the 275 pounds at which he's listed. He said in a recent interview that he could play OLB in a 3-4, but that seems like a big risk. Why pay a guy huge money to do something he's never done in seven NFL seasons? Personally, I think he could be good against the run as a 3-4 DE and then he would be very effective rushing the passer. More likely, if the 49ers were to land him, you'd see more 4-3. It's interesting to watch him because he lines up with both hands on the ground on every play. He is a high-energy player, no question. Smith had just two sacks but he recorded more than 100 tackles. He played every down for the Bengals. He turns 29 in September. He has made 107 consecutive starts, so durability is not an issue.

Antwan Odom (Titans): Playing LDE might be a little less complicated when one of your DTs is Albert Haynesworth. Odom had three lackluster seasons before breaking out with eight sacks. Odom is listed at 6-5, 274. Again, it would be risky to sign a guy like this and move him to OLB. He'll get a big payday. He turns 27 in September.

Calvin Pace (Cardinals): The former first-round pick is at the end of his rookie contract. He is 6-4, 270, and would probably be a really good fit in a 3-4. He recorded 6.5 sacks last season and also had 106 tackles (81 solo). By the way, Briggs was credited with 140 tackles with 80 solo stops. (These stats were based on the film reviews of their respective teams.) Pace turns 28 in October.

And here are some wide receivers to consider (or not):

Bernard Berrian (Bears): A move to the West Coast would get him closer to his 6-year-old daughter in Fresno. He's young and appears to be a good fit for Martz's offense. Sure, he had a few drops along the way (don't we all?) but he managed 71 catches for 951 yards and five TDs with Brian Griese and Rex Grossman as his QB. By the way, his agent is Drew Rosenhaus. Also, Berrian said if the Bears re-sign Grossman, he would be more inclined to re-sign with the Bears. Grossman has re-signed.

Jerry Porter (Raiders): He was reportedly angry when the Raiders did not hire Mike Martz to be the offensive coordinator a couple years ago. He probably would relish the opportunity to be the No. 1 guy with the 49ers. But is he a No. 1 quality receiver? His 16.0 average on 44 catches doesn't look to shabby.

Randy Moss (Patriots): Uh, I don't think so. He's the ultimate front-runner. He quit on the Raiders. He's great if he's playing with one of the two best QBs in the game, and he has something to prove. But his track record has shown that he is a disaster once adversity strikes.

The Cowboys set the market when they re-signed Patrick Crayton to a four-year, $14 million deal with $6 million signing bonus. Others to be considered: Ernest Wilford (Jaguars), Devery Henderson (Saints), Bryant Johnson (Cardinals) and D.J. Hackett (Seahawks).

The 49ers could fill those spots of need with really good players but if they don't get more production from the QB position, it probably won't matter.

But that's another topic for another time.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
^ im guessing hes gonna be Miami bound, Dallas just threw away 3mil on dave thomas instead of putting that on Flozell