Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
May 03, 2008
Roman has the radio

When the NFL decided to allow one defensive player per team to wear a radio receiver in his helmet a couple of months ago, the assumption was that linebacker Patrick Willis would wear it for the 49ers. It turns out, however, that the job – at least for now – will go to safety Mark Roman, who has been testing the system the past two days. “Yesterday it was a lot worse because they didn’t have the frequency right and there was a lot of static,” Roman said. Michael Lewis, Keith Lewis and Dashon Goldson also have tested out the system.

In the 49ers’ defense, the safeties call the personnel packages based on who is coming on the field for the offense. The real advantage of having the radio, Roman said, is making last-second adjustments. In the past, the defense would have to interpret hand signals from the sideline and then relay those changes to the players on the field. “Now we’re not going to have to be scrambling to know what the personnel (package) is,” Roman said.

Perhaps the only person in the NFL who didn’t think that Patrick Willis had a good rookie season is, well, Patrick Willis. “I go back and watch from the first game to the last game of the season and pick out play after play I could have done better,” Willis said after the morning practice. Willis said his objective was to improve with every practice and every game. If he improves on his 2007 performance, that ought to land him the league MVP award in 2008…

Mike Nolan said that the team’s rookies and undrafted free agents aren’t getting a lot of work in this minicamp because the first- and second- team offense and defense need the lion’s share of the work. The 49ers’ offense in particular is more complex than previous incarnations and the players need all the repetitions they can get to understand it. Nolan said the rookies would start seeing more action next month during OTAs. “Otherwise it’s a real sloppy practice and no one gets anything,” Nolan said. Exceptions to that rule have been DE Kentwan Balmer and G Chilo Rachal, who, as top picks, have been thrown into the mix. WR Josh Morgan also has seen plenty of action.

On Friday, Alex Smith said he has yet to uncork very many deep passes with his surgically reconstructed shoulder. On Saturday, however, he tossed a half dozen, 45- to 50-yard fly patterns, all of which seemed to be on the mark.

There were no fights this morning, although Vernon Davis and Tully Banta-Cain exchanged a few heated words. Also, Ronald Fields took exception to some hard blocking from rookie Cody Wallace and gave him a shot in the facemask. Afterward, Nolan joked that he was disappointed there weren’t any scrapes. (At least we think he was joking).

One of the nicest catches of the day was turned in by Isaac Bruce, who reached high for a sideline pass by Drew Olson and somehow tapped two toes in bounds. Judging from the personnel groups today, the top three receivers are Bruce, Bryant Johnson and Arnaz Battle. Ashley Lelie was part of the mix in four-receiver sets.

Former receiver P.J. Fleck was a guest at practice. Fleck is currently the wide receivers coach at his alma mater, Northern Illinois.

Battle (ankle) practiced during the morning session. LB Shaun Richardson was held out of practice.

Some of you may have noticed that I've been moonlighting as a puckhead. Read this to find out how the Sharks stayed alive last night and now are bidding to become the first team since 1975 to win a playoff series after being down 3-0.

-- Matt Barrows

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Minicamp is not a time for 49ers rookies to shine

Niners O-linemen work on some drills at minicamp.
EnlargeEnlarge

There are 17 rookies at the 49ers' minicamp, but this is not a time in which the rookies get a lot of action during the team drills.

Most of the action during the 11-on-11 portion of camp is handled by the first- and second-team offenses and defenses. The rookies typically comprise the third teams.

The exceptions have been defensive lineman Kentwan Balmer, guard Chilo Rachal and center Cody Wallace, the club's first-, second- and fourth-round draft picks. Most of the other rookies are watching and trying to absorb the playbooks. Balmer and Rachal are seeing action with the second units.

The reason the rookies don't see a lot of practice time now is because the 49ers want to maintain the tempo of the practices. They don't want to have to stop and explain things. Once the rookies get a little better handle on what's happening, they'll be integrated into the on-field happenings during the organized team activities in June.

Balmer is getting a lot of coaching at left defensive end. It's rare that you don't hear defensive line coach Jim Tomsula barking feedback to Balmer after a play.

During the team period at the end of the morning practice, rookie receivers Josh Morgan, Robert Jordan and Cameron Colvin and cornerback Reggie Smith did not step on the field.

Sorry for getting a bit of a late start on today's blog, but I had a radio interview and then a couple of us went to lunch at Maria Elena's in Alviso - a good spot near the 49ers' training complex.

The radio appearance was notable. A producer called me toward the end of the open locker room period to ask if I could go on the air immediately with Sirious NFL radio. He said I'd be on with Howard Balzer, a friend of mine whom I work with in some other projects.

Balzer comes back from the commercial break and says, "We're going out to San Francisco and check in at the 49ers' minicamp. Joining us from the 49ers' practice facility is Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee."

Ouch.

Someone had given Howard the wrong information on which Matt would be joining him. I missed a golden opportunity to open the interview by saying, "Hey, fellas, this is Matt Barrows, all right. I'll admit, I really don't know what I'm talking about. Everything I know about the 49ers I learned from reading this blog called Instant 49ers on the Santa Rosa Press Democrat's website."

Unfortunately, I came clean immediately.

Balzer and former offensive lineman Ross Tucker were the hosts of the show. Tucker was an offensive lineman for a couple years with the Bills. Tucker noted Jonas Jennings was his teammate with the Bills. Of course, he asked about the switch at the tackle positions for the 49ers.

I told Tucker that the 49ers were very impressed with Joe Staley last season. And coach Mike Nolan has been very disappointed in Jennings' inability to remain healthy since coming to the 49ers as a high-priced free agent in 2005.

With Jennings entering the season as left tackle the past three seasons, the club has ended up using the backup left tackle more than Jennings. That is one position where the 49ers want some continuity. If they had to replace a tackle during the season, they would rather it to be on the right side.

Therefore, the 49ers have a lot more faith in Staley's reliability. They also viewed him as a potential long-term left tackle when he was drafted last year in the first round. Therefore, the 49ers decided to make the move now.

Speaking of Jennings, Nolan said last week that he was surprised at how well Jonas Jennings took the news of his demotion from left tackle to right tackle. Jennings had spent the offseason at his Atlanta home. He has not spoken publicly since the middle of last season.

After offering Jennings a pleasant salutation today in the locker room, I asked Jennings how the transition was going. He said he was in no mood to talk to the media.

"I ain't doing no interviews, man," Jennings said. "You all have a good day."

Jennings later denied a request from 49ers.com for an interview, too.

Nolan opened his press gaggle with a zinger.

"I'm a little disappointed we didn't have any fights go on," he quipped.

Rookie LB Shaun Richardson did not practice. Nolan said he was "nicked." It looked more like a groin strain to me - not that I really studied it, mind you.

The 49ers' defense experimented with radios in their helmets today. The NFL passed a rule this offseason that allows one person on defense to have radio communication with the sideline. Nolan said he is unsure exactly whom will be fitted with the device.

The safeties were outfitted with the speakers in today. Mark Roman, Michael Lewis, Dashon Goldson and Keith Lewis wore the radio stuff.

Nolan said it was not a given that Patrick Willis would wear the device. Last season, Willis did not have the duties of calling the plays in the huddle. Those chores were typically handled by Derek Smith on first downs, Jeff Ulbrich on second downs and Mark Roman on third downs.

Running back Frank Gore said he is excited about the changes in store for him. He has been around the 49ers' complex since the end of the season, as he said he wanted to stick around to meet O.C. Mike Martz and begin to learn the offense.

After the minicamp, Gore will return to his hometown of Miami to continue training on his own. He said he likes the idea of the team spreading the ball around. He doubts he will see many more eight-in-the-box defenses with Martz at the controls.

Gore said he also looks forward to being a bigger part of the passing game. He will get an opportunity run routes after lining up in the slot. Hmmm, could it be that Gore will have a chance to enter the 1,000-1,000 club?

There are also a lot of packages in which Gore and Michael Robinson will be in the backfield together, he said.

A year ago, Gore said his goal was to rush for 2,000 yards. This year, his mindset is slightly different.

"My goal is to have fun and play the best I can," Gore said. "I want to play hard and try to win some games."

Martz is expected to help the 49ers' defense. With a few more first downs, the 49ers' defense will not be on the field as much as last season. But Martz appears to be already helping the defense in the team's first minicamp.

"This is like training camp, in terms of what the offense is doing to us and the adjustments we have to make," Roman said. "This helps us learn how to adapt to all the formations, shifts and motions."

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Faulk offers to meet with Gore to discuss new offense

Running back Frank Gore remained in the Bay Area after the 49ers hired Mike Martz as offensive coordinator in January. Gore wanted to get a head start on learning the offense.

After the conclusion of this weekend's three-day minicamp, Gore plans to continue his preparations for the upcoming season while working with his personal trainer in Miami.

Gore plans to return to the Bay Area when the 49ers begin their organized team activities on June 2. The team will go through workouts Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays for three weeks, ending June 20.

Here is an article from today's paper, "Faulk's comments leave Gore upbeat."

Former Rams running back Marshall Faulk, who thrived in Martz's scheme, has offered to visit Gore in the Bay Area or in Miami to offer suggestions and tips on getting acclimated to the new offense.

Gore was asked yesterday if he's going to be the centerpiece of the offense. He said he wasn't sure. Then, he turned to Michael Robinson, who was checking his cell phone at a neighboring locker.

"What do you say, Mike?" Gore asked.

Robinson looked up with an expression on his face that showed he thought the answer was obvious. He nodded -- of course.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Three QBs share the work on Day 2 of minicamp

Quarterbacks Shaun Hill, Alex Smith and J.T. O'Sullivan got two sets of five plays apiece during the team portion of practice in the afternoon. The play was extremely sloppy on both sides of the ball with a few offsides, false starts and aborted snaps.

Hey, it's the first weekend of practices. What did you expect?

The quarterbacks mostly hit on short passes during this period. The deepest completion down the field might have been when Smith rolled left on a bootleg and drilled a 15-yard pass on the left sideline to Bryant Johnson.

So who's winning the quarterback battle? Obviously, it's too early to tell. Smith and Hill appear to be eager students. Offensive coordinator Mike Martz, known for his tough love with quarterbacks, seems professorial in his approach with his players.

Martz has not raised his voice on the practice field. Generally, after every play the quarterbacks will immediately turn to Martz for his instant feedback. Martz said earlier today that he is pleased with how quickly everyone is picking it up.

The fourth quarterback, Drew Olson, has gotten little work during the 11-on-11 portion of the practices.

Some other notes from the teamwork session:

--Isaac Sopoaga showed his quickness by getting into the backfield past Tony Wragge on the first set of reps. Parys Haralson got around Duckett on one play.

--Sopoaga was none too pleased when Chilo Rachal brought him down (sort of like a tackle) on a run play.

--Safety Dashon Goldson made at least his third interception in two days, as he picked off an overthrown pass from Smith to Dominique Zeigler.

--Rookie receiver Josh Morgan saw some action with during the team drills. I didn't see Morgan participate in the team work during the morning practice, but another reporter said he saw him out there. Morgan caught a pass from J.T. O'Sullivan at the end of the team session.

--Linebacker Dontarrious Thomas broke up a pass to Clayton over the middle.

--A pass down the field to Vernon Davis banged off his chest and fell incomplete. Jeff Ulbrich had pretty decent coverage on the play, and I could not tell if he got a hand on the ball.

Davis, however, made a few catches. He really is an exceptional athlete. When he breaks into the open field, it is quite impressive to see the amount of speed he can generate out of his 6-foot-3, 253-pound frame.

The p.m. practice included a session in which the linebacker covered the backs and tight ends on routes. This was pretty entertaining.

The best matchup was rookie free agent Lance Brandenburgh against fullback Moran Norris. Brandenburgh had Norris blanketed down the left sideline. The pass fell incomplete and Norris got a little testy with the tight coverage. He shoved the unsuspecting Brandenburgh in the facemask. "Chill out," Brandenburgh barked. "What's your problem?"

A few plays later, they were matched up again. This time Brandenburgh had good coverage of Norris again. When the play broke down, Brandenburgh delivered a nice chuck to Norris, who complained. "You did it right," 49ers linebackers coach Mike Singletary told Brandenburgh.

Running back Thomas Clayton has looked light on his feet in the first two days, but rookie Larry Grant ran stride for stride with him down the field as the pass fell incomplete. When the two matched up a few plays later, Clayton pulled away from Grant for the catch. Ezra Butler also had good coverage on DeShaun Foster. He batted the pass away down the middle. Tight end Delanie caught a TD pass over Keith Lewis, who just missed getting his hands on the ball.

Isaac Bruce sat out the afternoon practice. Nothing's wrong. Coach Mike Nolan wanted to rest the 14-year vet. The same goes for Jonas Jennings, who is working once a day. Damane Duckett works at right tackle with the first team when Jennings does not practice.

The three-day minicamp wraps up this morning.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
Three QBs share the work on Day 2 of minicamp

Quarterbacks Shaun Hill, Alex Smith and J.T. O'Sullivan got two sets of five plays apiece during the team portion of practice in the afternoon. The play was extremely sloppy on both sides of the ball with a few offsides, false starts and aborted snaps.

Hey, it's the first weekend of practices. What did you expect?
absolutely nothing good.....

good uck with your QB situation... hopefully your number 1 pick QB Alex Smith can keep up with the 3rd stringers... haha... garbage ass niners....

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
absolutely nothing good.....

good uck with your QB situation... hopefully your number 1 pick QB Alex Smith can keep up with the 3rd stringers... haha... garbage ass niners....
LOL coming from a RAider fan? Good luck with ur OT, i mean QB and his garbage ass O line to "protect" him, you reading into that and assuming shit is on par with assuming ur garbage overweight qb is the size of a OL

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
blahhh... fuck those rumors about Russell being overweight... show me some pictures

I guarantee our QB will be doper than whoever you guys decide to throw out there

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
I guarantee the Riaders will not win as many games as the niners....

lol @ al davis as your "head coach"

Kiffin is just the scapegoat

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
I never said the qb's were sloppy my dude

re-read what I wrote

I said that's what I expect from the team in general

and then I proceeded to comment on your qb's... I was just wishin you guys good luck... was I not???

tryin to be friendly...