Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
McDonald arrested on suspicion of DUI
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5299797&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- A veteran San Francisco 49ers defensive lineman says he regrets his arrest on suspicion of driving under the influence.

Ray McDonald publicly apologized on Monday after he was booked Saturday night in the San Mateo County Jail in Redwood City.

California Highway Patrol officer Art Montiel says an officer pulled over the 25-year-old in his black BMW on Interstate 280 around 6 p.m. after observing McDonald speeding upwards of 94 miles per hour.

Montiel says McDonald was placed into custody after taking a sobriety test. He was released on his own recognizance.

McDonald is due in San Mateo County Superior Court on July 22.

The team said in a statement that McDonald told it about the incident, and that it is monitoring the case.
Lawson, Clements, Spencer report for 49ers minicamp
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/..._campaign=Feed:+49ersHotRead+(49ers+Hot+Read)
News of they day

As he watched several 49ers teammates get contract extensions over the past year, outside linebacker Manny Lawson said he felt no jealousy. “Kudos to them,’’ he said. “I’m for everybody getting what they deserve.”

Now, he said it’s his turn. Lawson, who skipped the team’s recent voluntary practices, reported for the start of mandatory minicamp Thursday and said he would like the 49ers to give him an extension as well. He is scheduled to make a $630,000 base salary in this, the final year of the five-year contract he signed as a rookie.

Asked if he was dissatisfied with his current deal, Lawson said: “Not dissatisfied, but you know everyone wants a new contract. I want to be here. I want to be a San Francisco 49er. I would like a new contract, yes.”

Lawson, who turns 26 on July 3, is coming off a career-best season in which he led the 49ers with 6.5 sacks. The only NFC linebackers with more were Dallas’ DeMarcus Ware (11.0), Washington’s Brian Orakpo (11.0) and Green Bay’s Clay Matthews (10.0). Lawson’s four forced fumbles tied teammate Ahmad Brooks for the most ever by a 49ers linebacker.

Before last year, however, injuries curtailed his effectiveness; Lawson had 5.5 sacks combined from 2006-08.

He said he enters 2010 poised for a big seasons. Lawson spent the off-season working out at Fisher Sports in Arizona and said he designed his conditioning program to make him a better all-around player. His plan was to improve “not only just explosion off the line from the two-point (stance), also the three-point, coverage skills … Whatever the team needs me to do.”

During his absense from the organized team activities, Brooks took over Lawson’s role. By the afternoon practice, the job competition was back on.

“No position is going to be handed out and no position is going to be given,’’ Lawson said. “You have to work for it. So he was in there while I was away. Now I’m back, and we’re going to have to step in and go back and forth with each other. Competition is where it’s at.”

Sideline trivia of the day

Alex Smith enters this season ranked seventh on the 49ers’ all-time passing yards list. Who are the six 49ers quarterbacks ahead of him? (Answer below)

Also back: The cornerbacks

Cornerbacks Nate Clements and Shawntae Spencer also returned to the locker room after skipping OTAs in favor of private workouts. Clements, a 10-year veteran, said he is 100 percent recovered from the fractured scapula he suffered last Nov. 1 during a game in Indianapolis.

Thursday marked his return to the playing field.

“I’m definitely motivated, anxious,” Clements said shortly before hitting the field.

Clements worked out during the off-season with Scottsdale, Ariz., trainer Ian Denney, whose methods included playing volleyball with a medicine ball that weighed up to 14 pounds. The cornerback said the game not only strengthened his shoulder but also his legs and hips.

Spencer, meanwhile, said he skipped the OTAs this year for the same reason he skipped them last year: He prefers the specialized training he gets at his private workouts near his home. Spencer works with Buddy Spencer, the University of Pittsburgh strength and conditioning coach, who helps the player condition his troublesome knee.

“(When) you start to get up there in age, you lose speed and flexibility,’’ Spencer said. “Especially with a knee injury, you have to make sure you stay on that.”

Spencer was fully healthy last season and had his best season as a pro, leading the team with 17 passes defensed.

Practice updates of the day

– The 49ers ended the practice session with a pair of two-minute drills (technically, a 1:38 drills) in which the offense started at its 31-yard line and instructed to get at least a field goal. Both drives were quarterbacked by Alex Smith and both ended with interceptions. Tarell Brown jumped a sideline route to upend the first drive and Curtis Taylor snared an overthrown pass intended for tight end Jon Jon Finley to snuff the second.

– Punt return hopeful LeRoy Vann, an undrafted free-agent out of Florida A&M, struggled to catch the ball during drills. He muffed several badly, drawing catcalls from his teammates. Vann beware: Coach Mike Singletary has placed an emphasis on ball security for his special teams units.

Sideline trivia answer

Alex Smith has 7,029 career passing yards. The six quarterbacks who threw for more while in a 49ers uniform are: Joe Montana (35,124), John Brodie (31,548), Steve Young (29,906), Jeff Garcia (16,408), Y.A. Tittle (16,016) and Steve DeBerg (7,220). Michael Erler of CBS SportsLine got five of them; Craig Massei of Associated Press got DeBerg.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Maiocco: Balmer Hits Target with Shoulder Rehab
http://www.csnbayarea.com/06/17/10/...h-Shoulder/landing&blockID=255924&feedID=5936

Not only did three presumptive defensive starters make their offseason debuts Thursday for the 49ers, a former first-round pick practiced for the first time this offseason, too.

Left outside linebacker Manny Lawson, right cornerback Shawntae Spencer and left cornerback Nate Clements not only returned to practice, they returned immediately to their starting spots. The trio lined up with the first-team defense during 11-on-11 drills during the opening day of the 49ers' three-day mandatory minicamp.

Also, left defensive end Kentwan Balmer worked with the second team. He underwent December surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder. He returned to individual drills this week, but was medically cleared to begin team work on Thursday. Balmer stayed true to the sixth-month rehabilitation schedule.

Here were some other notables from Santa Clara on Thursday:

--Spencer, who enters his seventh NFL season, reported to minicamp after undergoing his own workout program in Pittsburgh this offseason. He said his workout regimen is geared toward maintaining his knee. He sustained torn ACL early in the 2008 season.

"When you start to get up there in age, the two things you lose are speed and flexibility," Spencer said. "With a knee injury that intensifies even more, and so you have to stay on that for the rest of your career."

--Clements' season ended with a double-whammy on Nov. 1 against the Indianapolis Colts. Tarell Brown replaced him in the starting lineup, then Clements sustained a season-ending broken shoulder blade on a punt return.

"It was definitely difficult. I've never been injured. But things happen for a reason," Clements said of the injury. When asked about being replaced in the starting lineup for that game, Clements said, "I'm a team player. I'm going to do what's best for the team. I just want to win."

--Spencer and Clements looked to be in tremendous shape upon their returns from working with personal trainers. But Lawson looked noticeable bigger (in a good way). When asked if he's strong than a year ago, Lawson said, "Oh, yeah, by far."

--Tight end Vernon Davis returned to practice after taking off three days of OTAs earlier this week. He picked up where he left off. Quarterback Alex Smith and Davis connected on several downfield passes, including a 20-plus-yarder against the coverage of safety Dashon Goldson.

--Rookie running back Anthony Dixon signed a four-year deal this week that included a $120,600 signing bonus. On Thursday, he returned to the practice field after being out since May 19 with a left hamstring strain. He looked just fine Thursday, quickly hitting the hole on some inside run plays.

--Rookie Taylor Mays got some work with the second team alongside Reggie Smith. Mays had been paired almost entirely with undrafted free agent Chris Maragos on the third team. Mays rotated onto the field in place of Curtis Taylor.

--Curtis Taylor has certainly made more plays this offseason than he did at any point last year when he was a rookie. There are still some plays when he's not assignment-sound, but his good plays are better and more frequent than a year ago. He capped the practice with an interception of Alex Smith during a two-minute drill. Moments earlier, Smith was picked off by Tarell Brown to end the first try during the two-minute session for the offense.

--Inside linebacker Scott McKillop got to Smith on a blitz, prompting offensive line coach Mike Solari to advise rookie guard Mike Iupati to keep his hands on him.

--LeRoy Vann set an NCAA record with 11 combined returns for touchdowns during his career at Florida A&M. But the undrafted rookie has really struggled fielding the ball cleanly on the windy practice field. He muffed three Andy Lee punts in a short period of time, then couldn't get the handle on a punt that bounced in front of him. Vann has to do a much better job of securing the football to have any chance at hanging around.

--It was another good day for receiver Jason Hill, who got deep down the left sideline to make a deep catch of a Smith pass against the coverage of cornerback Karl Paymah and Reggie Smith.

--The 49ers DBs were advised to let the receivers catch the ball, rather than risk collisions and injuries. Still, safety Michael Lewis and Josh Morgan got tangled up a deep ball. Neither was injured.

--Brown broke up a quick hitch to wideout Bakari Grant.

--Grant, an undrafted rookie from UC Davis, made his second sensational catch at the sideline in two days with his fingertip grab of a Nate Davis laser.

--The 49ers brought in undrafted rookie fullback Marcus Waugh (Cincinnati) for a tryout. Waugh was a hybrid fullback/tight end, as well as a backup defensive lineman with the Bearcats. He was also a big contributor on special teams.
49ers are expecting conspicuous absences
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/06/17/SPVO1E0BCE.DTL

There are a few questions about the 49ers that might or might not be answered during the three-day minicamp that starts today. One of them is: When will nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin sign?

Coach Mike Singletary said Wednesday he doesn't expect Franklin to take part in the minicamp, which doesn't bother Singletary "one bit."

Franklin, designated as the team's franchise player, has not accepted a one-year, $7 million offer because he is trying to negotiate a long-term contract.

Another player who might be missing today is linebacker Manny Lawson, who, like Franklin and cornerbacks Nate Clements and Shawntae Spencer, skipped the three days of voluntary workouts that concluded Wednesday.

Lawson is entering the final year of the five-year contract he signed as a rookie and is due to make $700,000 as his base salary this year.

Franklin's agent, Todd France, couldn't be reached for comment on whether Franklin would attend or on whether he's seeking a new contract. Lawson's agent, Jon Feinsod, declined to comment on Lawson's status.

As for Clements and Spencer, they figure in the answer to another key minicamp question: Are the 49ers in good shape at cornerback or not?

Singletary indicated the club has no interest at this point in bringing back Walt Harris or Dre' Bly. Neither has been picked up by another team. "I think we're OK with what we have," Singletary said.

The absence of Clements and Spencer has given extra work to backups Tarell Brown and Karl Paymah, along with youngsters like 21-year-old Phillip Adams.

Paymah, a former Bronco and Viking, was upbraided by the coaches for blowing the coverage on a 31-yard touchdown pass from Alex Smith to tight end Delanie Walker in a two-minute drill Wednesday.

"Somebody blew a fuse back there," Singletary said. Paymah "has a lot of potential," he said, "and hopefully between now and the end of training camp he can take that potential and make it something real."

The team also needs to see how well backup quarterback David Carr learns the offense. That will help answer the question: Was trading Shaun Hill a mistake?

"I'm starting to get to where it's second nature," Carr said. "When I first got here, I was just trying to get in and out of the huddle so guys wouldn't look at me like, 'Why doesn't this guy know what he's doing?' Now I'm getting to the point where I can call plays and I'm pretty comfortable with the formations. ... This summer is going to be big for me."

Although Carr threw a pass that was picked off by safety Curtis Taylor at the end of the two-minute drill Wednesday, Singletary said Carr is a smart player.

"I think in time he will show why we got him," Singletary said.

And one more question: How quickly will rookie offensive linemen Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati grasp the playbook? They're clearly not there yet.

"It's going to be an up-and-down process," Singletary said.

Training camp, which begins Aug. 2, will provide a better barometer for them because the pads will be on, he said. "It's not enough to just know what to do. You have to know what to do and you've got to go fast."

Briefly: Jerry Rice, who will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, on Aug. 7, will be inducted into the 49ers Hall of Fame in September, the team announced. ... Singletary said he wants to cut down on criticizing the officials this year, hoping his example will prompt his players to keep their lips zipped as well.

SONOMA, Calif. -- Former running back Roger Craig, who won three Super Bowl championships with the San Francisco 49ers from 1984-89, was consumed Sunday with preparing his four-word speech to kick off the NASCAR Toyota/Save Mart 350 Sprint Cup final at Infineon Raceway.

While he practiced delivering a stirring "Gentlemen, start your engines!" commandment as the event's Grand Marshal, Craig also made a bold prediction about the NFL team that drafted him in 1983 out of Nebraska.

"The 49ers will be a playoff team this season. I'm making that prediction," said Craig, a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2010. "They were 8-8 last season. You saw what happened.

"They should have beaten Minnesota (Week 3; 27-24 loss; Brett Favre led his 40th game-winning comeback drive), they should have beaten the Colts (Week 8; 18-14 loss; Joseph Addai threw a game-winning touchdown pass to Reggie Wayne), they should have beaten the Texans (Week 7; 24-21 loss; backup quarterback Alex Smith intercepted by Texans free safety Eugene Williams with 36 seconds remaining), they should have beaten Seattle (Week 13; 20-17 loss; Smith passed for 310 yards and two touchdowns, Seahawks kicked the game-winning field goal).

"So that's 12-4 right there. Those four games could have changed the season around. They were that close. I think they're going to be very strong contenders this year."

Why is Craig so optimistic about his former team, which hasn't been to the postseason since 2002?

"You think about the division -- Kurt Warner isn't with Arizona anymore, so they're going to rebuilding, and Anquan Boldin is gone," Craig explained. "And [coach] Pete Carroll is going to have a tough time [in Seattle] the first year. He's not going to come out of the gate really dominating the West.

"So the 49ers are the perfect team to annihilate the NFC West. And they've got the right ingredients right now."

Share Craig raved about the 49ers' decision to select two big offensive linemen in the first round of the 2010 NFL draft, tackle Anthony Davis of Rutgers and guard Mike Iupati from Iowa.

"They must have listened to [me]," Craig said with a laugh. "I said they should draft linemen and they drafted the biggest guys on the planet! And then they drafted [former USC safety] Taylor Mays, another steal of the draft. I can't wait until he plays against Seattle, because I know his horns will be out and he'll be ready to take some heads off."

Craig, 49, remains a Bay Area sports icon and a fanatical fitness buff -- he just finished the San Diego half marathon in 1 hour, 45 minutes and will run the Chicago Marathon in August, with an eye toward qualifying for the Boston Marathon.

He watched the 49ers' recent victory at the polls in Santa Clara, Calif. with great interest. The team received voter approval in that city to begin construction of a 68,500-seat stadium to replace aging Candlestick Park. The new park, which will be located about 45 miles south of San Francisco, is scheduled to be ready for the 2014 season.

Now the 49ers' greater challenge may be in securing financing for the proposed $937 million stadium complex. Construction is set to begin in 2012.

The move away south from crumbling Candlestick Park, Craig said, is a good thing -- and a huge victory for the 49ers' young team president and CEO Jed York, who spearheaded the multi-million dollar campaign to convince Santa Clara voters to allow the team to build a stadium complex just north of San Jose.

"If you think about it, most of our fans are based in Santa Clara down to Gilroy [Calif.]; another 35 percent are in Stockton [Central Valley] all the way to Reno," Craig said. "Only five percent [of the fanbase] is in San Francisco. I know we've got a lot of history being in San Francisco -- five Super Bowls. But the name is still going to stay the same. It's not going to be the Santa Clara 49ers.

"I think it's great, and Jed York did a good job lobbying and getting this thing passed. It still has a long way to go."

Dec 9, 2005
Damn, only 5% of the fanbase in SF? That's news to me.

I don't mind the extra drive to Santa Clara. Its a brand new facility, and Santa Clara tailgating weather shits on SF tailgating weather.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Niners release two players
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/06/niners-release-4.html
The arrival of Manny Lawson, Nate Clements and Shawntae Spencer wasn't good news for everyone. One day after the outside linebacker and two cornerbacks returned to practice, the 49ers announced that they released outside linebacker Brandon Long and cornerback Keith Smith.

Smith had been the team's No. 3 cornerback before Clements' and Spencer's arrivals. He was picked up last season after Clements injured his shoulder. Unfortunately, his most prominent play came when Seahawks receiver Deon Butler caught a 32-yard pass in front of him in the waning moments of the 49ers' Dec. 6 loss in Seattle.

The 49ers were interested in Long, a Michigan State product, after last year's draft but were scared off by a foot injury. The team decided to bring in Long this year after he had a screw inserted into his right foot last year. He had been playing with the third-team defense.

-- Matt Barrows

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Who climbed, who fell during 49ers' offseason
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/06/who-climbed-who-fell-during-49ers-offseason.html
The 49ers' 2010 offseason is in the books. The team has concluded 14 OTAs, a rookie camp and a two-day, three-practice minicamp. That's a significant amount of public work and, as you can imagine, not all men were treated equally. Here are the climbers and fallers from May and June. Consider this the last round of 7-of-7 for a while.

CLIMBERS
QB Alex Smith: Is Smith an improved quarterback? We'll have no idea until at least preseason, and probably into the regular season. But it's clear that he has greater confidence and command of Jimmy Raye's offensive system, and that's the first step.

NT Ricky Jean Francois: When Aubrayo Franklin skipped the entire offseason in silent protest of his franchise tag, it was Jean Francois who got most of his reps at the nose. RJF looks like a solid bet to ease into the D-line rotation this year.

TE Delanie Walker: The Jean Francois of the offense. Vernon Davis missed a lot of time, too (because he's busy being Vernon Davis), giving Walker plenty of action. He made the most of it, with several nice catches.

S Taylor Mays: He passed the first test by showing up and looking like a monster in shorts and T-shirt. He passed the second by proving he can intercept passes and play in an NFL defense without looking lost. Now the real education comes for Mays.

OLB Manny Lawson: Another guy unhappy with his contract, Lawson stayed away for all the voluntary practices. But when he showed up for the recent minicamp, the 49ers gave him all the first-team reps and the versatile backer looked like he was never gone.

S Reggie Smith: It appears Smith will get first crack at playing strong safety in Greg Manusky's nickel package - the old Mark Roman position.

LB Patrick Willis: Guess it's not really climbing when you're already at the pinnacle. But Willis cemented his place as face of the franchise by signing a five-year, $50 million contract extension, then finished his knee rehab, got back in the huddle a week ago and immediately looked like the best player on the field.

FALLERS
CB Keith Smith and LB Brandon Long: You can't fall any further than off the roster. These two were cut/waived this past week.

QB Nate Davis: Excitement over Davis' raw potential has been tempered lately, both by his coaches' words and by his inconsistent play on the field. The good news is that he got a ton of second-team reps last week. You can't say the 49ers aren't giving Davis a chance to prove himself.

CB Will James: This 10-year vet was expected to compete for playing time at corner. He showed up with a cracked pubic bone and hasn't seen the field in team period.

WR Brandon Jones: Another injury casualty, Jones sprained an ankle and missed the final week of action. It's significant, as he hadn't really distinguished himself before that.

LB Martail Burnett: If the NFL kept stats on getting yelled at by coaches, Burnett might be among the league leaders right now. Of course, that's probably a better omen than being ignored entirely.

T Anthony Davis: The path to NFL stardom apparently will be filled with potholes for Davis. It's hard to get an accurate read in non-contact drills, but the big kid occasionally struggled with both timing (false starts) and pass blocking. By the minicamp, he was getting fewer first-team reps than fellow rookie lineman Mike Iupati.

The kick returners: Mike Singletary said ball security will be his No. 1 criterion for choosing a return man. I guess someone has to emerge from the pack, but Ted Ginn, Kyle Williams and LeRoy Vann all had their slapstick moments catching punts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Maiocco: Player-by-player Defensive Review
http://www.csnbayarea.com/06/21/10/...sive-Revie/landing&blockID=257928&feedID=5936

he 49ers wrapped up their offseason program with a mandatory two-day minicamp that concluded Friday. The next time the club steps on the practice field will be Monday, Aug. 2, to open training camp. Rookies are scheduled to report to the 49ers' practice facility on July 30, with the veterans to follow on July 31.

Here is a rundown of each 49ers defensive player after the latest session of organized team activities and minicamp . . .

Defensive line
Obviously, it's very difficult to evaluate offensive and defensive linemen based on how they look in non-padded drills. And with that qualifier, we continue . . .
60-Khalif Mitchell: Lined up with third team at right defensive end after being at left defensive end during the first round of OTAs. He also worked a little at nose tackle late in the OTAs.
78-Derek Walker: Did some swapping with Mitchell on the third team, as he lined up some at left defensive end after being on the right side during the first few OTAs.
90-Isaac Sopoaga: He's still the starter at left defensive end. He also saw limited work at nose tackle behind Ricky Jean-Francois. Perusing my notes, there wasn't a lot that stood out, positive or negative. He jumped offside once on an Alex Smith hard count. But in the same day of work, he got his hands in the passing lane and batted down the ball at the line of scrimmage.
91-Ray McDonald: Unfortunately, the news he made during this portion of the offseason program involved a run-in with the law. He was clocked going 94 mph, according to the CHP, and was held for less than two hours July 12 in Santa Clara County Jail on suspicion of DUI. On the field, he looks pretty secure as a first-team nickel pass rusher at defensive tackle, alongside Justin Smith.
92-Aubrayo Franklin: Did not take part in any phase of the offseason program. He has yet to sign his one-year, $7.003 million franchise tender, in hopes of landing a long-term contract.
93-Demetric Evans: He's a solid, not flashy, performer who can play anywhere along the defensive line. The veteran knows the game very well and is a positive influence in the locker room. He is probably also going to be very good for the 49ers' young offensive linemen. He taught Anthony Davis a lesson or two during the non-padded one-on-one pass blocking drills during minicamp. His most notable play was a pass deflection of a Nate Davis throw at the line of scrimmage.
94-Justin Smith: He will start at right defensive end in the base defense and line up at right defensive tackle in the 49ers' nickel package. Smith saw his standard time with the first unit, but really didn't provide any notable moments during the 11-on-11 drills in the offseason.
95-Ricky Jean-Francois: He benefitted greatly from Franklin's absence, as he got more work than anyone on the team. He saw about 80 percent of the reps at nose tackle. His technique and understanding of the defense grew dramatically. But we'll see how well he holds up once the pads go on. He impressed his teammates with his weight-room strength, too. He performed a squat of 605 pounds in the team's weight room. He might not have prototypical size for a 3-4 nose tackle, but nobody questions his strength and power.
96-Kentwan Balmer: He underwent surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder on Dec. 9. Right on schedule, he returned to practice Thursday on the first day of minicamp after a six-month rehabilitation. Balmer saw action at both defensive end spots. He showed good energy on the practice field. Balmer should be ready for unlimited work during training camp, and that is on-field preparation he needs to take a significant step and make an impact as a rotation player.

Linebackers
45-Keaton Kristick: He was a late arrival into the 49ers' offseason program because of the rules that state a rookie can't join an NFL team on a full-time basis until his school graduates. Kristick of Oregon State arrived on the Santa Clara practice field on June 10. He plays inside linebacker. On the final day of work, Kristick picked up an interception of a Nate Davis pass after safety Curtis Taylor got his hand in to tip a throw intended for Bakari Grant.
48-Mike Balogun: Saw action with the third team at inside linebacker. The undrafted rookie from Oklahoma recorded an interception of Nate Davis in the final week.
49-Brandon Long: He was waived Friday, on the final day of minicamp. He had been working at right outside linebacker.
50-Diyral Briggs: Worked at left outside linebacker behind Ahmad Brooks. When Manny Lawson showed up for minicamp, Briggs was pushed down the depth chart a bit. It was a strong offseason for Briggs, who could be a candidate for the most-improved list. He looks stronger and quicker. He made his mark late in the final practice when he batted down an Alex Smith pass in his face. He had good coverage to tip away pass for Delanie Walker in two-minute drill that Taylor Mays was able to gather in for the interception.
51-Takeo Spikes: The veteran got more reps than expected in the base defense at left inside linebacker. He also made some plays in the nickel package with a couple nice pass breakups. One of the highlights was during a 7-on-7 session when he broke up a pass to Glen Coffee in a red-zone situation and broke into a celebratory dance in the end zone, much to the delight of his defensive teammates.
52-Patrick Willis: He returned to 11-on-11 work for the final week after being held out from all but individual drills after undergoing offseason surgery to remove a bursa sac from his right knee. He's a tackling machine, obviously, who was not allowed to tackle in the offseason work. But he showed up in other areas. His pass defense was good, and he came untouched up middle on blitz that resulted in an interception.
53-Navorro Bowman: It was a rough couple weeks for him, as Bowman's quickness and instinctive nature were not always apparent as he was preoccupied with just learning the defense. He did not play fast, as he was thinking about his responsibilities. He gave up a lot of plays in coverage in those early weeks. But he seemed to get more of a handle on things as he learned the plays and the adjustments that had to be made on every call. He finished strong with an interception on final day.
54-Travis LaBoy: The 49ers took it easy with him, as he attempts a comeback from missing 2009 with torn ligaments in his foot. LaBoy showed some pass-rush ability, to be sure. Did not see much of him dropping into coverage. His best fit with the 49ers is likely as a nickel pass rusher, where he'll try to work his way into the mix with the likes of Parys Haralson, Manny Lawson, Ahmad Brooks and Diyral Briggs seeking the same role.
55-Ahmad Brooks: He benefited greatly from the absence of Lawson. Brooks is still learning the nuances of rushing the passer from the outside. There were times when he beat rookie Anthony Davis around the corner, and, then, having him set up there, got straight to the QB with an inside move. But where he needs his most growth is on first and second downs with the diagnosis of run/pass and dropping into coverage. The work he got with Lawson out was valuable. Brooks still has a ways to go before he can legitimately contend with Lawson on early downs, but he did make some noticeable strides from the beginning of the offseason.
56-Scott McKillop: He lined up with the second-team defense and made significant improvements in many areas. He saved his best play for the final day when he leaped high near the goal line to tip an Alex Smith pass to himself for the interception. On the very next play, he dropped into coverage to make a nearly identical play against David Carr. This time, he settled for the pass-breakup. McKillop showed a lot in pass coverage throughout the OTAs and minicamp. He probably won't want to remember the ending of one practice when fullback Moran Norris ran him over at the goal line. He is also considered one of the team's core special-teams players.
57-Matt Wilhelm: He has experience with the defense, so there are not many concerns about his knowledge of the system and fulfilling his assignment. When Willis was not working in 11-on-11 drills, Wilhelm ran with the first defense. Wilhelm seems to be a given. The coaches know what he offers on defense and special teams. His fate with the club will likely be determined by whether McKillop and Bowman can earn the trust of the coaches as Wilhelm as done.
58-Martail Burnett: Well, we certainly know defensive coordinator Greg Manusky is familiar with him. That's because Manusky was often seen (and loudly heard) getting on Burnett about blown assignments and poor alignments. Burnett showed some pass-rush ability, but this offseason period showed that he must spend a lot of time studying and cut down on the mental mistakes when training camp opens.
98-Parys Haralson: He got plenty of work at right outside linebacker, and dropped down to defensive end when the 49ers went to a four-man line in pass-rush situations. It was a good offseason for Haralson, who helped set the tone for the defense with his daily attendance in the offseason program. On the field, his pass rush looked good. One of his most notable plays was when he dropped into coverage to breakup a pass intended for Glen Coffee.
99-Manny Lawson: If appearance means anything, Lawson is ready for a big season in his contract year. While he seeks a contract extension, Lawson spent the bulk of the offseason working out in Arizona in hopes of increasing his explosion, coverage skills and strength. He said he is much stronger than he was a year ago, and based on looking at his upper body, it's easy to believe. Lawson took part in just three offseason practices. He intercepted Nate Davis on Friday when he quickly dropped into coverage from the left side into the middle of the field.

Defensive backs
20-Keith Smith: He was released Friday, on the final day of minicamp.
22-Nate Clements: He showed up Thursday for the mandatory minicamp and appeared to be in top-notch physical condition. Clements forfeited a $500,000 workout bonus to take part in a workout program in Arizona. He looked good after immediately returning to his starting job at left cornerback. Early in his first practice, Clements made one of his trademark plays when he stripped receiver Josh Morgan of the ball after a short completion. There weren't many passes, and none of significance, completed against him in coverage.
23-Taylor Mays: It was telling when Mays stationed himself next to coach Johnnie Lynn deep in the secondary during periods in which he was not on the field as a defender. But it wasn't the 49ers coaches forcing the issue. It was Mays taking it upon himself to learn all he could about the 49ers' defense. He has spent a lot of time working on technique, something he said he never did in the past. He backpedal looks good and he's moving well from side to side. One of his shortcomings at USC was that he looked for the big hit instead of playing the ball. There was a play late in that final practice when his eyes were on tight end Joe Jon Finley and not on the ball in the air. All things considered, Mays has set himself up nicely for the beginning of training camp, as he began getting rotated in with the No. 2 safeties, Curtis Taylor and Reggie Smith. He finished on a strong note with two interceptions on the final day of minicamp.
25-Tarell Brown: Without Clements and Shawntae Spencer around, Brown worked at starting left cornerback. He was moved to the second team after the presumptive starers showed up. Brown also worked as the first nickel back off the sideline. He saw a lot of action during the offseason program, and generally held up well. He provided a couple scares with a couple apparent injuries, but he did not remain out of action long. He intercepted an Alex Smith pass in a two-minute drill on the next-to-last day of practice.
26-Tramaine Brock: The undrafted rookie saw action with the third-team defense at cornerback. There were a some instances in which Brock was beaten deep -- at least twice by Kyle Williams. In the final two-minute drill, he allowed Williams to get behind him by 7 yards. But no-harm, no-foul, the pass was overthrown. Surrendered a touchdown to Vernon Davis in 7-on-7 on the final day.
27-Patrick Stoudamire: Worked with third-team defense. Gave up a touchdown pass to Kyle Williams from David Carr during one 11-on-11 session. Later that same day, he broke up an Alex Smith pass for Delanie Walker. Gave up touchdown from Nate Davis to Dominique Zeigler. Had decent coverage but couldn't prevent a Crabtree fingertip touchdown grab in final practice.
28-Curtis Taylor: He's no longer a rookie, and he and his coaches expect more of him. He definitely had some teaching moments, in which a coach would pull him aside after a play to explain what he could've done better. And Taylor seemed to respond with a lot of very good plays over the past couple weeks. He had a pick in the two-minute drill on the first day of mandatory minicamp. He broke up a Davis pass that deflected to Kristick for interception on final day.
30-Reggie Smith: He was the free safety with the second team, alongside Taylor, for most of the offseason. At the end, Mays began working in and there were essentially three safeties on the second team. This is Smith's third season. He did not show much in his first two years (one year at cornerback; one year at safety). He made more plays in the offseason program than his first two years on the practice field combined. He intercepted an Alex Smith pass for Josh Morgan in the end zone of a 7-on-7 drill. He made diving breakup of a pass on the sideline intended for Jason Hill.
31-William James: Signed in early May, we'll have to wait until the opening of training camp for the unveiling of the veteran cornerback. He did not take part in any 11-on-11 work, as he recovers from a hairline fracture of his pubic bone.
32-Michael Lewis: He is not backing down from the competition, as Smith, Taylor and Mays all showed plenty of nice attributes. Lewis' appeared quite determined in the passing game, which is considered the weakness of his game. There were several plays involving Lewis that had inadvertent collisions with receivers, as he clearly wanted to make some plays and fend off the competition. He had an interception on a pass Karl Paymah tipped. He was victimized by one of Smith's nicest passes of the weeks, a 25-yarder at the sideline to Walker that was lobbed just beyond Lewis' reach. On one of his better plays, Lewis ripped the ball loose from Dominique Zeigler's grasp at the goal line for an incompletion.
33-LeRoy Vann: His playing time at cornerback decreased with the arrivals of Clements and Shawntae Spencer. It's clear that Vann's ticket for the 53-man roster (or the practice squad, for that matter) is the return game. But Vann did not look good in trying to field punts from the first day of offseason work. He was the least-secure of any of the 49ers players working on punt returns. At one point, after a particularly rough stretch that featured muffed punt after muffed punt, one veteran blurted out loudly, "You're fired!" Vann plans to stick around Santa Clara until the start of training camp. He must get more confident in this area to give himself any chance at sticking around.
35-Phillip Adams: Consider it a good thing that the rookie did nothing glaring to attract attention during the practices in the 49ers' offseason program. He worked with the second team at left cornerback while Clements and Spencer were out. It looked as if he generally handled his responsibilities. His best play was a pass breakup against rookie tight end Nate Byham in zone coverage during an 11-on-11 session.
36-Shawntae Spencer: Spencer proved in just three practices why he is a starter in the 49ers' defense. It's a stark difference from a year ago, when he seemed to be No. 3 in the competition behind Dre' Bly and Tarell Brown to join Clements in the starting lineup through the offseason and most of training camp. He made a couple nice plays in 7-on-7 during his first day. He instinctively shoved Michael Crabtree out of bounds to prevent a completion. On next play, he broke up a pass for Delanie Walker. He sniffed out a short pass for Tony Curtis and was in position for a big hit, which warranted, plaudits from Johnnie Lynn, "Good blowup, 36."
38-Dashon Goldson: Generally, a big-time playmaker on the practice field, Goldson did not get his hands on many passes during the 49ers' offseason program. In fact, he surrendered a few plays down the field to tight end Vernon Davis on the seam route that Smith and Davis worked so well at times last season. On the final day of practice, Goldson allowed Crabtree to get behind him for what would've been a 60-yard touchdown (with 30 of it coming in the air). Although a former cornerback in college, shorts and shirts do not highlight Goldson's best qualities of physical play.
40-Chris Maragos: He lined up with the third team defense at safety alongside Taylor Mays, who gets all the attention. It's probably not the best situation for an undrafted safety to come to a team with backups at his position consisting of three recent draft picks. The offseason was a definitely feeling-out process for Maragos, who did not provide any notable negative or positive moments on the practice field.
41-Karl Paymah: Coach Mike Singletary referred to him as a player with great potential. Singletary wanted to see him be more physical in bump-and-run coverage. Paymah had a bunch of down moments. There were several times in which Paymah blew assignments. On the same day an assistant coach advised him, "Get in your (play)book, Karl," he messed up a coverage that left tight end Delanie Walker all alone for a 30-yard touchdown pass to cap a two-minute drill. But, at least, Paymah ended it in a good way. He broke up an Alex Smith fourth-down pass attempt to Ted Ginn on the final play of the final practice.

Specialists
4-Andy Lee: The new father returned to offseason work and provided as many problems for the return men as the Jugs machine that propelled balls high into the sky and, coupled with the wind, proved too tricky to field cleanly with much regularity. The 49ers monitored Lee's work and did not overload him with work, as he is the only punting leg on the team.
6-Joe Nedney: Worked on limited kickoffs and some field-goal tries. The 49ers don't want the veteran to have a heavy workload, thus the addition of another kicker for the offseason program.
9-Shane Andrus: Difficult to tell what kind of leg strength he has, but it doesn't appear as if he's going to be pumping kickoffs in the end zone regularly. With a stiff wind at his back, Andrus reached the end zone once in about 10 straight kickoff attempts on Friday. He might not have a great chance to make the team out of camp, but he could place himself at the front of the line if the vet Nedney can't remain healthy.
86-Brian Jennings: The 11th-year long snapper is the longest-tenured 49ers player. He made one snap during field-goal practice that appeared to be 7.38 centimeters off its intended target. Other than that, everything looked fine.

Coming Tuesday: We take a look at every offensive player on the 49ers' roster.

Oct 23, 2009
Mar 12, 2010
it looks like the niners have a bunch of studs on the o-line unlike last year where we are relying on a couple of journeyman lineman i cant wait for the season to start

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
49ers-Seahawks rivalry getting better all the time
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/06/49ers-seahawks-rivalry-getting-better-all-the-time.html
Considering that the 49ers and Seahawks have NEVER posted winning records in the same season since Seattle joined the NFC West in 2002, these two teams have enjoyed a pretty good rivalry. West Coast supremacy and all that.

Well, the temperature gauge should bounce at least 15 degrees in 2010, thanks to the influx of some new blood, mostly on the Seattle side. Ponder these additions, and what they will bring to the feud.

SCOT McCLOUGHAN (SEA): Whatever the reasons for McCloughan's sudden "mutual parting" from the 49ers about a month before the draft, you can bet there is a personal side to the rift. Now comes word, via ESPN's Mike Sando, that McCloughan is joining the Seahawks' front office in an as-yet-unreported role. He won't be able to smack anyone in the mouth on the field - well, not legally - but the maneuverings for free agents and draft picks within the division just got a lot more interesting. And you can add some bonus points if brother David, another 49ers castoff, follows Scot to Seattle.

PETE CARROLL (SEA) AND TAYLOR MAYS (SF): Carroll coached Mays at USC, and the two enjoyed a close relationship. Mays is from Seattle. So when the Seahawks hired Carroll as their head coach, and it was clear that the team was looking for a safety in the draft, Mays naturally figured he was homeward bound. Instead, Seattle went for Earl Thomas of Texas. Mays made no attempt to hide his resentment, telling the world on draft day that Carroll had misled him about the skills he should be working on to become an NFL first-rounder. When the 49ers grabbed Mays in the second round, it set up a nice little chance for payback. Mays has said recently that he bears no hard feelings toward Carroll. That's hard to believe. As former Niners RB Roger Craig said of Mays during the weekend festivities at Infineon Raceway, "I can't wait till he plays against Seattle, cause I know his horns are gonna be ready to take some heads off, man."

KEN NORTON JR. AND JEFF ULBRICH (SEA): You can bet there will be some fiery pregame words from two of the Seahawks' new assistant coaches before the season opener at Seattle on Sept. 12. Norton (7) and Ulbrich (10) spent a combined 17 seasons playing linebacker for the 49ers. Now Norton is coaching the Seattle linebackers, while the recently retired Ulbrich is assistant special-teams coach. Both may still harbor affection for their old team. Both would love nothing more than to beat that team twice a year.

MIKE SOLARI (SF): After coaching the Seahawks' offensive line for two seasons, Solari left the team early this year, reportedly after they informed the long-time tutor that he would moved to special teams. Shortly thereafter, he resurfaced in Santa Clara. And shortly after that, the 49ers gave him two first-round draft choices to work with on the line. Solari may know something about the vulnerabilities of the Seattle defensive line, having worked against that unit countless times in practice.

Yep, this rivalry is getting better all the time. I just wonder whom Mike Holmgren is rooting for.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Maiocco: More Adventures on 49ers Punt Returns?
http://www.csnbayarea.com/06/23/10/...landing_maiocco_v3&blockID=259372&feedID=5936

The 49ers had to do something to upgrade their punt returns from a year ago. Sure enough, none of the three primary return men during the offseason program was with the club last season.

The 49ers averaged just 4.4 yards per punt return last season. Worse yet, their returners had difficulty hanging onto the football. Here's the breakdown of 49ers breakdowns on punt returns last season:

--Arnaz Battle (now with Steelers): 21 returns (2.9-yard average), 10 fair catches, four muffs, two fumbles, including one that was a mishandled exchange on an ill-advised reverse call to Brandon Jones. Both fumbles resulted in turnovers that were key plays in three-point losses to Houston and Seattle.

--Nate Clements (working exclusively at cornerback): Four returns, one fair catch, one fumble.

--Reggie Smith (working exclusively at safety): three returns, no fair catches, one muff.

Coach Mike Singletary this offseason outlined what he wants to see from the 49ers' punt returners in 2010.

"I don't care how fast he is. I don't care how many guys he can make miss," Singletary said. "If he can catch the ball, that's step No. 1. Whatever comes after that, if we can get 5 yards, that's fine. But just don't drop the ball. Ball security is No. 1."

Veteran Ted Ginn was acquired a trade with the Miami Dolphins for a fifth-round pick. Kyle Williams was added in the sixth round of the draft, and undrafted LeRoy Vann signed as a free agent.

Those three players struggled mightily just to catch the ball on the sometimes-windy Santa Clara practice field. I asked Singletary at the conclusion of the offseason program whether it was a concern that his return men showed an inability to cleanly field punts consistently in practices.

"Yes, it is. It's a concern; it's not a worry," Singletary said. "I feel the guys we have will work on it and get what they have to get done. As far as the wind and all of that stuff, I hope none of them ever come up to me with that, but it's a part of the game."

Singletary has reason to be concerned, all right.

In Ginn's three seasons with the Dolphins, he returned 36 punts with the Dolphins and had 16 fair catches. But he had an alarming number of mishandles with five muffs and one fumble.

LeRoy Vann was an amazing weapon as a return man at Florida A&M. He set the NCAA record with a combined 11 return touchdowns during his career.

But it was difficult to ignore a couple of the touchdowns on this video of his touchdown returns. He muffed a punt at 2:20 in the clip that he turned into a touchdown return. Also, at 4:20, he bobbled a punt (hard to tell exactly what happened) before gathering it in to set off on another TD scamper.

Williams' career at Arizona State ended on a sour note when his muffed punt in the fourth quarter led directly to a loss to intrastate rival Arizona. However, I'm told that play was not indicative of Williams' reliability as a return man.

Although he had a few bobbles in the offseason, Williams looked the most steady on the practice field of the candidates to handle those duties with the 49ers this season.

Yes, it's June . . . but one thing that struck me while watching the numerous muffed punts in the spring was that punt returns might again be an adventure for the 49ers.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Rosenhaus Signs 49ers' Top Rookie
http://www.csnbayarea.com/07/01/10/...ie-Guarant/landing&blockID=264179&feedID=5936
Prominent agent Drew Rosenhaus assured 49ers fans Thursday morning they need not worry about a repeat of the contract chaos that surrounded receiver Michael Crabtree a year ago.

Rosenhaus announced on Twitter he has added rookie offensive tackle Anthony Davis to his roll sheet of clients.

"We're certainly looking forward to dealing with the 49ers," Rosenhaus told Comcast SportsNet. "You don't have to worry about this being another Crabtree situation. We've had great success working with the 49ers in the past and we expect that to continue."

Crabtree, his agent Eugene Parker and the 49ers engaged in a 71-day contract stalemate that finally ended in October when entertainer M.C. Hammer got the sides together to work out the contract details at an East Palo Alto hotel. Crabtree missed the first five games of the season.

"We haven't had a drafted player or veteran hold out of training camp in six years," Rosenhaus said. "I can't guarantee that will continue with three first-round picks, but it's something we take a lot of pride in."

Rosenhaus also represents defensive Jason Pierre-Paul, the 15th overall selection of the New York Giants, and defensive tackle Jared Odrick, the Miami Dolphins' pick at No. 28.

Davis, 20, whom the 49ers traded up two spots to select at No. 11 overall, originally signed with agent Sanat "Sunny" Shah, a relative unknown before he represented Eugene Monroe last year. Monroe was the eighth overall pick of the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2009.

"When Anthony confided to (49ers guard) Chilo Rachal that he wasn't happy with his agent, Chilo quickly recommended me," Rosenhaus said. "Those guys are building a nice rapport with each other, and it's the hope that they play together for a long, long time."

Davis becomes the ninth 49ers player for Miami Beach-based Rosenhaus Sports Representation. The list includes Rachal, running back Frank Gore, safety Dashon Goldson, receiver Jason Hill, fullback Moran Norris, defensive lineman Demetric Evans, rookie linebacker Navorro Bowman and undrafted rookie quarterback Jarrett Brown.

Rosenhaus said he and his brother, Jason, have started preliminary negotiations on Bowman's contract. Bowman was the 49ers' third-round pick. Rosenhaus declined to comment on the status of Goldson's negotiations. Goldson enters the final year of his contract.

"We're fortunate enough to represent a lot of players on the 49ers, so when you're dealing with them so often, it cuts out a lot of the b.s.," Rosenhaus said.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Ex-NFL scout Dave Razzano believes that the 49ers can not reach their full potential with Alex Smith at quarterback.
Razzano had a backup grade on Smith coming out of Utah, and doesn't believe he's been proved wrong. "I think he's exactly what I thought he'd be -- maybe a little worse," Razzano said. "I thought he'd be a decent backup. But I watch him now, he just doesn't have the winning mentality. But he's a good kid and a smart kid and he probably looks good in practice. He misses simple 7-yard outs. He's just not accurate and he doesn't have the moxie.