Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 14, 2004
I just want to apologize for talking negative about SF earlier in this thread. It's just that I got real offended by the poster talking negative towards the city where my team is from, and I just wanted to stick up for my team's city. I probably could have took a different approach, but I was heated in the moment, and couldn't help my self but try to dis back. I know SF has a great history in the NFL, and Seattle does not, not as great as theirs anyways. But yeah, sorry that I offended any of you, and I'll keep it nothing but football talk if I ever post in here again.

Carry on...

Aug 9, 2006
lmao at 9er fans being happy about the UDFA signing of blount until he shunned you for de titans...im not sure steffon johnson will be better then blount but behind our good run blocking o-line, which ever 1 makes the squad i hope they can pick up the slack left behind by the lendale trade, and more...

Javon Ringer should be chris johnsons back up, but he isnt a short yard/bruiser back like lendale/lagerrete and steffon are

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Another undrafted FA: Alonzo Durham
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/04/another-undrafted-fa-alonzo-durham.html
Just heard about another undrafted free agent expected to be in Santa Clara this weekend. It's Nevada's Alonzo Durham, a 6-4, 286-pound offensive tackle who grew up in the Sacramento area and was a three-year starter for the Wolf Pack. His absence from the team's official list of free agents probably means he's coming to town on a tryout basis.

Apr 23, 2010
Another undrafted FA: Alonzo Durham
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/04/another-undrafted-fa-alonzo-durham.html
Just heard about another undrafted free agent expected to be in Santa Clara this weekend. It's Nevada's Alonzo Durham, a 6-4, 286-pound offensive tackle who grew up in the Sacramento area and was a three-year starter for the Wolf Pack. His absence from the team's official list of free agents probably means he's coming to town on a tryout basis.
nice pick up

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Q&A With 49ers' Rookie Safety Taylor Mays
http://www.csnbayarea.com/04/26/11/...obile_landing.html?blockID=223608&feedID=2539
Hall of Famer Ronnie Lott told Mays: "you're in the right spot."

Head Coach Mike Singletary Opening Comments:
“Taylor Mays in the second round. I feel very fortunate to get him at that place. I’m excited about him coming here and being a part of our defense. We know that he will continue to bring the physicality and be the playmaker that we have on the defense to get to the next level. I’m very excited to have a player of his caliber here, so with no further ado, Taylor Mays.” *

Taylor Mays opening comments: “I’m very excited to be here. I feel very fortunate. This is where I wanted to go and if there are any questions I will definitely field them.” *

On his new number: “It’s good. I’ve always had a two on my jersey, but the 2-3, it’s good. I’m going to make it happen.” *

On how much time he spent talking with the 49ers before getting selected yesterday: “I had a trip down here. I had talked to them at the combine. I had taken a trip down here and I felt like I vibed very well with Coach Singletary and the rest of the staff and not just the football coaches, but the people in the lunch room, the people at the front desk, everybody. I got a great vibe, great feeling from them. I felt good about that whole process that I engaged with them.” *

On whether he was thinking he might land with San Francisco at No. 49 overall: “I was hoping that my phone would ring. I knew if I ended up on this team, regardless of what happened in my career, it would be a team that would push me to the limit, that would push me to maximize my potential every day, and really, that’s all I could ask of myself, being in a situation where I’m going to get the most out of my ability.” *

On where he fits in the team’s physical identity: “Every day, bringing it. That’s the best attribute that I have. Being physical and bringing it on an everyday basis. I watched film of [LB] Patrick Willis, [LB] Takeo Spikes and Dashon Goldson, they bring it. I think I bring it at the same time. I’m just going to try and give it up for those guys, give it up for the coaches and all the effort that we put into this, and really just put my body on the line, sacrifice for the style of defense that we play.” *

On whether he sees anything here today that personifies the physical nature of the team: “Not necessarily anything today. You see the facilities. You see the locker room. You see how everybody handles themselves, and it’s very business-like. Very classy. It’s very professional, and I think that kind of adds to the attitude of it’s a serious, physical, tough, classy football organization.” *

On whether he has spoken to Ronnie Lott: “Yes, I talked to him after that press conference, or after that radio interview. I talked to him this morning also. He told me great words of wisdom like he always does. I always listen to everything that he says and try to apply it to my life. He’s been a great role model and mentor for me. And, when he says it to me it means a lot, versus when a sports writer says it. I definitely take it with me.” *

On what Lott’s words of wisdom were: “He just told me, in terms of the ability, that I’m in the right spot. I need to be a student of the game. I need to listen. I need to learn and I need to be dedicated all the time. If I do that, and if I keep my head down, keep grinding every day, then I’ll look up at the end of this thing and be happy with where I’m at.” *

On whether the 49ers have told him to play like he did at USC or have they asked for adjustments: “Well, you’ve definitely got to make adjustments when you’re on a different team, and I’m sure that’s stuff that we are going to go over, but there’s a lot of things in my game that I’m going to have to change and those are things that I’m going to work on, I need to address and fix. I know that the coaches decided to draft me because they are willing to work on those things with me and are willing to believe that I can fix those things.” *

On what the things he needs to work on:
“Just in terms of playing with better technique in coverage, being more aware of the ball when it’s in the air and working on catching the ball and obviously things with technique. Those are things that I need to work on and I can’t do exactly what I did at USC because I’m not going to get away with that now. I understand what they are telling me, so I’m going to change it.” *

On whether he sees himself in the box more as a 49er: “I don’t know. I know that they move their safeties close to the line and deep. You have to be able to do both. I think a good attribute that I have is that I can play deep. I can play in the box. I can almost be the quarterback of the defense in terms of understanding what I need to do at both positions. Anything they tell me to do, I’ll do and I’ll do it better than anybody else has ever done it.” *

On whether playing in the box would be a big adjustment for him from what he did at USC: “I played deep a lot. I studied so much of our defense, especially when Troy Polamalu was there. He played deep and back and I understand how to play close to the ball. I understand how to play deep. I understand how to play both sides of how to play safety. Even though I play deep a lot, I understand what I need to do when I play in the box. Obviously, I’m going to be willing and very open to learning what the new coaches tell me about playing deep and playing close.” *

On whether being a first round snub will fuel him throughout his career similar to Coach Singletary: “A little bit. That was tough, but I feel like everything happens for a reason in God’s plan and I can handle it. I’d rather be here than anywhere else and be in this situation. Everything happens for a reason. I just feel this gives me the best opportunity to be on the best team possible and the best quality career possible. You go in here with a chip on your shoulder, definitely, but you have to able to channel that. You can’t let it go take you into the wrong direction because that is when you are playing to prove somebody wrong and you may be taking you out of your preparation. It’s not personal at all.” *

On whether he’s talked to G Chilo Rachal at all: “Yes, I talked to him last time I was here in San Francisco and I’m definitely going to talk to him, if not today, I’m sure I’ll talk to him in the next couple days, next couple hours or somebody else close that went to SC and definitely get acclimated to being out here.” *

On his comments about Seahawks Head Coach Pete Carroll and whether he’s talked to him since: “No, I knew you were going to ask me about that. I respect that. You are all doing your job, obviously. What I said yesterday, it was kind of a spur of the moment thing and I wasn’t trying to take shot or disrespect anybody. I said it and right when I said it, I thought it was done. It was what it was. It had nothing to do with changing our relationship, what we’ve built over the last couple of years. I’ve moved on from that, but I feel like he’s definitely moved on from that. He’s never said there were any bad intentions between me and him. I’m just here to be a 49er. I’m just happy about that.” *

On whether he fits the bill of being a physical player with this draft class: “Yes, definitely. I think that just shows the style of player that they want on this football team, the character of the player they want on this football team, and it definitely shows up because that’s what all the players are.”

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Two local players to take part in 49ers minicamp
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/04/two-local-playe.html

The 49ers have not yet announced the schedule and format for their upcoming minicamp, but it looks like established veterans will be given the weekend off. Two San Jose State players, Matt Wigley and Phil Zavala, will be on hand on a tryout basis, the school confirmed today. Wigley is a 230-pound longsnapper and Zavala is a punter, a signal that Brian Jennings and Andy Lee won't be taking part.

Mike Singletary said last week he thought the minicamp mainly would be for the rookies. The team drafted eight players and added another 10 who went undrafted. Others, like Wigley and Zavala, will be on hand on a tryout basis. The camp also is likely to include young veterans, such as tackle Alex Boone and DL/OL Khalif Mitchell. West Virginia quarterback Jarrett Brown will take part. It's not yet known whether Nate Davis will be there as well. (I'm guessing he will). Most of the veterans already had a spring practice when they assembled for a late-March OTA.

-- Matt Barrows

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Cal WR Boateng to take part in weekend minicamp
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/04/cal-wr-boateng.html
Add WR Nyan Boateng to the list of local college players getting a tryout at the 49ers' weekend minicamp, which begins Friday, according to the university. Boateng led the Bears in receiving as a junior, catching 29 passes for 439 yards for five touchdowns. Boateng dealt with a broken foot as a senior. "Nyan was sidelined for much of his career at Cal with injuries and is still developing as a football player," Cal head coach Jeff Tedford said in a release. "He will surprise some people with his athleticism and abilities as he continues to learn the game." San Jose State punter Phil Zavala and San Jose State longsnapper Matt Wigley also will be given tryouts for the minicamp.

The tryout ought to give Boateng a chance to reunite with former USC safety Taylor Mays. (see below

Director of Player Personnel (I call him "acting GM") Trent Baalke will sit down with members of the media tomorrow afternoon for a video session in which Baalke will talk about the team's recent draft picks. Dennis Erickson's assistant coaches used to do something similar, and I'm glad the 49ers are bringing it back. It ought to give reporters -- and by extension, the fans -- a better understanding of the 49ers' rookie class and where it fits in on the field. I'm especially looking forward to hearing what Baalke has to say about Mays and Penn State linebacker Navorro Bowman.

-- Matt Barrows

Oct 23, 2009
Post-draft depth chart: Defense

Nineteen players were added to the 49ers' roster in the last week. Here is my best guess as to where they fit on the depth chart. Today: Defense.

NT: Aubrayo Franklin, Isaac Sopoaga, Ricky Jean-Francois, Khalif Mitchell
Comment: With Franklin likely to play on a one-year contract, this position is a big -- HUGE -- question mark for next year. Sopoaga has size and strength, but he's on the record as saying he'd rather play defensive end. The team is giving Jean-Francois an extended look at NT, but the jury is still out. Mitchell shows flashes, but lacks consistency and tenacity, and the team is considering him as an offensive lineman.

LDE: Sopoaga, Kentwan Balmer, Mitchell, Demetric Evans.
Comment: This depth chart is assuming Balmer is back for training camp after having shoulder surgery this offseason. Evans usually plays on the right side, but could move to the left in a pinch.

RDE: Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Evans, Derek Walker.
Comment: The relentless Smith finally was rewarded with a Pro Bowl appearance this past season. He's the team's best defensive lineman, although it's noteworthy that he turns 31 this season. McDonald is more than a year removed from ACL surgery, and he should have more burst than a year ago. Walker is a project. He's listed as 6-4, 271 pounds, but is probably bigger than that. Still, the 49ers would like him to get bigger.

MILB: Patrick Willis, Matt Wilhelm, Scott McKillop, Navorro Bowman, Keaton Kristick
Comment: The key figure here is McKillop. The 49ers want to see the progress that was lacking last year, and he will be one of the most scrutinized young players on defense. If he wins the coaches' confidence, the team will have no need for Wilhelm. Bowman will see time at both "Mike" and "Ted," and Kristick also might be moved around.

TILB: Takeo Spikes, Wilhelm, McKillop, Bowman
Comment: The 49ers are looking for an heir to Spikes, who is in the final year of his contract. Spikes is afforded a lot of "veteran courtesy" time - time off - in practice, which means Bowman probably will see most of his time at "Ted." Again, progress by McKillop and/or Bowman could make Wilhelm expendable.

WOLB: Parys Haralson, Ahmad Brooks, Diyral Briggs, Martail Burnett
Comment: Brooks will see more action this year than last, but like last year it'll mostly come on passing downs. Briggs is well on his way to getting up to 250 pounds. The objective now for the former defensive end is to learn how to play linebacker.

SOLB: Manny Lawson, Travis LaBoy, Briggs
Comment: Lawson is playing in his contract year. He wants an extension, but the 49ers have to ask themselves this: Do they pay now for a player who has mostly underachieved to this point or do they risk Lawson having a break-out season and seeing his asking price shoot up? My guess is that they go with the latter. LaBoy has a lot of talent but a long injury history.

FS: Dashon Goldson, Reggie Smith, Chris Maragos
Comment: The 49ers are very excited about Goldson, who took a desired step forward last year in his first season. He is exactly what they want at the position - a rangy ball hawk who is not shy about thumping ball carriers. Perhaps his greatest achievement last year could have been remaining healthy for 16 games. Smith (part of the '08 class) seems to have a lot of talent but has yet to make an impact. The 49ers would love to see him take over for Mark Roman, who has not been re-signed. Smith will be pushed by Maragos, a classic overachiever who reminds people of ex Raven and current Jet Jim Leonhard. (Leonhard is 5-8, 186; Maragos is 5-10 1/2, 200)

SS: Michael Lewis, Taylor Mays, Curtis Taylor
Comment: Lewis has been perhaps the team's most underrated player since he arrived in 2007. He's a true warrior - a guy who plays hurt and who has been a Top 3 tackler every season since he arrived. But Lewis' base salary jumps this year, and it's hard to see him holding off Mays all season. Taylor's progress also could factor into Lewis' tenure.

LCB: Nate Clements, Karl Paymah, Phillip Adams, Patrick Stoudamire
Comment: Yes, Clements salary jumps to $6 million in base this year. But the 49ers did not spend a high draft pick on a cornerback, and because of that it's difficult to see Clements leaving. My guess is that all the negative talk about Clements will serve as fuel for a very strong 2010 season. Paymah is similar to former 49er Donald Strickland and likely will be in on a lot nickel packages. Adams and Stoudamire are projects. Stoudamire could play safety.

RCB: Shawntae Spencer, Tarell Brown, Keith Smith, Tramaine Brock
Comment: Spencer played remarkably well in 2010, especially considering he had an ACL injury the year prior. Like a lot of young players on the 49ers, Brown lost his starting opportunity to a veteran, Dre Bly. If there are injuries or if players underachieve, both Bly and Walt Harris are waiting for phone calls.

-- Matt Barrows

Mar 12, 2010
Nineteen players were added to the 49ers' roster in the last week. Here is my best guess as to where they fit on the depth chart. Today: Defense.

NT: Aubrayo Franklin, Isaac Sopoaga, Ricky Jean-Francois, Khalif Mitchell
Comment: With Franklin likely to play on a one-year contract, this position is a big -- HUGE -- question mark for next year. Sopoaga has size and strength, but he's on the record as saying he'd rather play defensive end. The team is giving Jean-Francois an extended look at NT, but the jury is still out. Mitchell shows flashes, but lacks consistency and tenacity, and the team is considering him as an offensive lineman.

LDE: Sopoaga, Kentwan Balmer, Mitchell, Demetric Evans.
Comment: This depth chart is assuming Balmer is back for training camp after having shoulder surgery this offseason. Evans usually plays on the right side, but could move to the left in a pinch.

RDE: Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Evans, Derek Walker.
Comment: The relentless Smith finally was rewarded with a Pro Bowl appearance this past season. He's the team's best defensive lineman, although it's noteworthy that he turns 31 this season. McDonald is more than a year removed from ACL surgery, and he should have more burst than a year ago. Walker is a project. He's listed as 6-4, 271 pounds, but is probably bigger than that. Still, the 49ers would like him to get bigger.

MILB: Patrick Willis, Matt Wilhelm, Scott McKillop, Navorro Bowman, Keaton Kristick
Comment: The key figure here is McKillop. The 49ers want to see the progress that was lacking last year, and he will be one of the most scrutinized young players on defense. If he wins the coaches' confidence, the team will have no need for Wilhelm. Bowman will see time at both "Mike" and "Ted," and Kristick also might be moved around.

TILB: Takeo Spikes, Wilhelm, McKillop, Bowman
Comment: The 49ers are looking for an heir to Spikes, who is in the final year of his contract. Spikes is afforded a lot of "veteran courtesy" time - time off - in practice, which means Bowman probably will see most of his time at "Ted." Again, progress by McKillop and/or Bowman could make Wilhelm expendable.

WOLB: Parys Haralson, Ahmad Brooks, Diyral Briggs, Martail Burnett
Comment: Brooks will see more action this year than last, but like last year it'll mostly come on passing downs. Briggs is well on his way to getting up to 250 pounds. The objective now for the former defensive end is to learn how to play linebacker.

SOLB: Manny Lawson, Travis LaBoy, Briggs
Comment: Lawson is playing in his contract year. He wants an extension, but the 49ers have to ask themselves this: Do they pay now for a player who has mostly underachieved to this point or do they risk Lawson having a break-out season and seeing his asking price shoot up? My guess is that they go with the latter. LaBoy has a lot of talent but a long injury history.

FS: Dashon Goldson, Reggie Smith, Chris Maragos
Comment: The 49ers are very excited about Goldson, who took a desired step forward last year in his first season. He is exactly what they want at the position - a rangy ball hawk who is not shy about thumping ball carriers. Perhaps his greatest achievement last year could have been remaining healthy for 16 games. Smith (part of the '08 class) seems to have a lot of talent but has yet to make an impact. The 49ers would love to see him take over for Mark Roman, who has not been re-signed. Smith will be pushed by Maragos, a classic overachiever who reminds people of ex Raven and current Jet Jim Leonhard. (Leonhard is 5-8, 186; Maragos is 5-10 1/2, 200)

SS: Michael Lewis, Taylor Mays, Curtis Taylor
Comment: Lewis has been perhaps the team's most underrated player since he arrived in 2007. He's a true warrior - a guy who plays hurt and who has been a Top 3 tackler every season since he arrived. But Lewis' base salary jumps this year, and it's hard to see him holding off Mays all season. Taylor's progress also could factor into Lewis' tenure.

LCB: Nate Clements, Karl Paymah, Phillip Adams, Patrick Stoudamire
Comment: Yes, Clements salary jumps to $6 million in base this year. But the 49ers did not spend a high draft pick on a cornerback, and because of that it's difficult to see Clements leaving. My guess is that all the negative talk about Clements will serve as fuel for a very strong 2010 season. Paymah is similar to former 49er Donald Strickland and likely will be in on a lot nickel packages. Adams and Stoudamire are projects. Stoudamire could play safety.

RCB: Shawntae Spencer, Tarell Brown, Keith Smith, Tramaine Brock
Comment: Spencer played remarkably well in 2010, especially considering he had an ACL injury the year prior. Like a lot of young players on the 49ers, Brown lost his starting opportunity to a veteran, Dre Bly. If there are injuries or if players underachieve, both Bly and Walt Harris are waiting for phone calls.

-- Matt Barrows
GOOD READ I LIKE ALOT OF IT BUT SOPOAGA NEEDS TO STEP UP AND PLAY NOSE IF CALLED UPON

Oct 23, 2009
CLEMENTS IS A HUGE LIABILITY IN COVERAGE. BARROWS IS TRIPPING.

IF ANYTHING, MOVE HIM TO SS. HE BETTER PLAYING CLOSER TO THE L.O.S.
He's lost a step or two and has gotten burned by younger, faster receivers. I wish the Niners would've addressed this position earlier in the draft. I think he's gone on record saying he won't move to FS/SS because he still feels he's a lockdown DB (lol)...hopefully one of the young guys step up.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Acting GM Trent Baalke acknowledged that sixth-round RB Anthony Dixon has to learn to run like a big back at the NFL level.
Dixon showed too much "wiggle" at Mississippi State, and the Niners want to see more "one cut and go" out of the 240-pound power back. He's unlikely to eat into Frank Gore's role as a rookie, but he may have a chance to unseat Glen Coffee for backup duties.

Dominique Zeigler is a long shot to make the 49ers' roster this season.
Zeigler, a returner/slot receiver, was essentially pushed out the door when Ted Ginn came aboard.

The Niners want Michael Crabtree to learn all three wide receiver positions so defenses can't zero in on him.
Crabtree played mostly split end last year after joining the team midway through the season. With a full offseason of practice under his belt, Crabtree will be comfortable at flanker and in the slot as well. He's the obvious No. 1 receiver in San Francisco.

Beat writer Matt Barrows expects Frank Gore to be the "bell cow" for the 49ers once again.
The Niners have used draft picks on running backs (Anthony Dixon, Glen Coffee) in each of the last two years, but Barrows doesn't foresee any kind of committee. Gore will continue to be a safe bet for 20 touches per week and has missed just seven games in his five-year career.

Jun 24, 2005
www.MYSPACE.COM
It's the O-line in SF that should be concerning everyone in AZ and Sea.

Remember how crushingly dominate the Seahawks were when the whole left side of the their line went to the pro bowl? We ran what we wanted, when we wanted, to the left. And as far as getting to Hass' blindside. . . fuhget about it.

They drafted 2 stud Lineman in 1 draft. Just a few picks apart. You watch, this Iupati guy is the next Hutch. He has insane quickness for a man his size. I heard Golic (who knows a thing or two about trench war in the NFL) say, "watch him pull, get out in space, and maul people." That's every coaches dream, to have an Oline that "mauls" people.

Sure, their D is good, but how much better will they be when their O holds the ball for 35 minutes a game.

"Alex Smith sucks" you say. . . How good do you have to be when the only passes you throw are on 3rd and 2. And those passes are going to Vernon Davis and Crabtree. I think everyone was surprised at how well Crabs played at the end of last year. Now, give him a year of OTA's, a TC, and the preseason.

The best hope for this year is rookie mistakes by the new franchise LT and G in SF. Even Big Walt, and Hutch had a learning curve. But for 2011 and beyond. . . heck the 2nd half of 2010, look out.

The Cards may be the defending champs, and The Hawks may have won the offseason, but for my money, the team to beat in the NFCW is the 49ers.

:knockout: