Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Not this year in regards to the Niner pass rush... I think the Niners have been bringing heat... Number 98 (I think his name is Harsolson or something like that) in particular is always bringing heat. Clements has just been getting burned....

Jul 25, 2007
crabtree and morgan should be the starters tho. bruce is slowing down and has dropped a few.

brandon jones should probably be number 3. seems like he'd be nice in the slot.

not sure about morgan on kicks and punts, i know he can make the plays but he never had a return in college for a td. but if he can hold on to the damn ball, its a good start.

i'm curious what coffee could do on returns too.
all this dont mean shit with our weak o-line and our noodle arm QB.

Quick

May 6, 2002
Yay Area, CA
Not this year in regards to the Niner pass rush... I think the Niners have been bringing heat... Number 98 (I think his name is Harsolson or something like that) in particular is always bringing heat. Clements has just been getting burned....
Parys Haralson and Ray McDonald are the ones responsible for the improved Niners pass rush this year.

VanD

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2004
Parys Haralson and Ray McDonald are the ones responsible for the improved Niners pass rush this year.
justin smith draws most of the o-line coverage

manny lawson has been bringing heat too

clements did get up by roddy white but he was solid before that game this year. he would be a dope safety but then who do we have on coverage?

we need secondary help. we need speed back there.

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
why would oakland trade away there best player? you could have 2 first round picks, and not get half the player he is, but truth is, Willis needs his Woodson, Ed Reed type player for our defense to reach the next level.

VanD

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2004
why would oakland trade away there best player? you could have 2 first round picks, and not get half the player he is, but truth is, Willis needs his Woodson, Ed Reed type player for our defense to reach the next level.
there was a story saying oakland would consider offers for nnamdi; why would they do it? ask mr d.

goldson is on his way to being a factor, he's a ballhawk right now.

so was tim rattay, ken dorsey, cody pickett,etc,etc... if nate Davis was the guy you guys make him out to be he should be starting right now. lets let the kid take a few snaps in the nfl before we induct him in the hall of fame.
apparently when i said expect him to be the starter next year you misconstrued it into something insane. calm down and read a little slower to help comprehend complete sentences.

why isnt he starting now? because the team is leading their division and before last game, shaun hill was in the top 5 qb rating in the nfl with only 1 turnover, now shaun hill has 2.

they didnt draft nate davis to start or play much at all this year. there was a qb battle between smith and hill in training camp which left nate davis out in the cold. he only knew a basic version of the playbook during preseason but was extremely effective and had a presence/awareness beyond most rookies and even 2nd and 3rd year players.

dont worry, nate davis will get his chance.... probably next year unless an extreme circumstance occurs.

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
1. i never said that
2. we dont need ed reed

we just need a couple quality guys in the secondary that can stay healthy
LOL@ not needing Ed Reed, a pro bowl Safety is so important, and your realize the 49ers have never won a super bowl with out a pro bowl safety?

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Receiver Jones is without a catch
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/22/SPD21A90QE.DTL

When wide receiver Brandon Jones signed with the 49ers as an unrestricted free agent Feb. 28, he seemed to be coming to a team in need of his talents after spending the first four years of his career with the Tennessee Titans.

But through five games, Jones has hardly seen the field and has no receptions. In fact, only three 49ers wide receivers have caught passes this season.

"I thought I was going to have a bigger role back in March when I signed here," Jones said. "Definitely in training camp, you're out there thinking you're going to have a role. Things happen. I ended up injured."

Through the first week of training camp, Jones looked like the best receiver on the team. Then he fractured his shoulder blade and was out six weeks. During that time, three things conspired against him: an offense insistent on running the ball; the emergence of tight end Vernon Davis as the leading receiver; and the signing of No. 1 draft pick Michael Crabtree.

As to why he's not playing more, Jones said, "I've tried to seek answers."

None has been forthcoming, however. Jones said he gets along with receivers coach Jerry Sullivan and speaks occasionally to the man in charge, Mike Singletary.

To no avail, apparently.

No 'American Idol' for him: Crabtree might have good hands, but his vocal cords leave something to be desired, apparently. In a mild form of rookie hazing, the players made Crabtree sing "Happy Birthday" to their head coach when he turned 51 on Oct. 9.

"Awful," was Singletary's assessment of Crabtree's pipes.

Shifting positions: Adam Snyder thought he'd found his spot at right tackle after spending his first four years with the 49ers spot-starting along the line. Now it's on to right guard, where he'll alternate with Chilo Rachal. Snyder has played every offensive-line position except center and has four career starts at right guard.

"It's not a big change. I'm excited about the opportunity," Snyder said. "I would like to stay at one position but that's the role I've stepped into on this team. It's versatility. I'd like to play tackle. That's where I feel most comfortable."

Rachal, in his second year, is not taking the move as a demotion or a comment on his ability. Instead, he said, "We're doing whatever's best for the team. It's a learning experience. Adam's a real experienced player. I can learn from Adam."

Briefly: The 49ers signed Keon Lattimore to their practice squad. He's a 5-foot-11, 225-pound running back from Maryland who signed with Dallas as a free agent in 2008. He spent the last part of '08 on Jacksonville's practice squad. Lattimore is a younger brother of Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis. ... Singletary said strong safety Michael Lewis is "day to day" as he recovers from his most recent concussion. His status for Sunday's game has not been determined. "He seems to be fine," Singletary said. ... Lewis was limited in practice, as were cornerback Tarell Brown (illness) and defensive end Ray McDonald (ankle).

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/22/SPD21A90QE.DTL#ixzz09UAwyOUK

With Crabtree ready, what happens to Jones?
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20091021/sports/910219872

SANTA CLARA — The 49ers' top-two paid wide receivers are finally ready to contribute.

Rookie receiver Michael Crabtree might be in the starting lineup when he makes his NFL debut. At the very least, he will get a lot of playing time Sunday against the Houston Texans.

Meanwhile, the team's big free-agent acquisition, Brandon Jones, has been healthy for more than a month. Yet, there are no assurances that he will be in uniform for the game.

When Jones signed a five-year, $16.5 million contract that included $5.4 million in guaranteed money in March, he figured to be a major contributor. Shortly thereafter, Sports Illustrated reported Jones did not get “high marks” from the coaching staff when he was evaluated as a free agent.

Jones appeared to get off to a good start in training camp. But he sustained a broken right shoulder blade while diving for a pass in the end zone on Aug. 6. He returned to practice after the first regular season game, but was inactive for the next two games.

Jones made his debut Oct. 4 against the St. Louis Rams. He has played the past two games but has yet to catch a pass. Now, he is trying to find playing time on special teams after Crabtree leap-frogged him on the depth chart.

“I really haven't been told anything about getting more playing time, besides helping out on special teams to get on the field, and things like that,” Jones said.

Jones played his first four NFL seasons with the Tennessee Titans. Last year, he started seven games and caught 41 passes for 449 yards and one touchdown.

“I thought I was going to have a big role back in March when I signed here, but definitely in training camp,” Jones said. “You're out there playing, thinking you'd have a role. Things happened, and I ended up injured.”
GORE PRACTICES

Running back Frank Gore, who missed the past two games with a bum right ankle, went through a full practice Wednesday and is expected to be in the starting lineup Sunday.

The 49ers announced that safety Reggie Smith will not play this week. He sustained a severe groin strain Sept. 27 against the Vikings. Also, safety Michael Lewis was limited in work because of the concussion he sustained Oct. 11 against the Falcons. Veteran Mark Roman is the first safety off the sideline, so he would start if Lewis is unavailable.

Defensive end Ray McDonald (ankle) and cornerback Tarell Brown (illness) were limited in practice.
ROOKIE INITIATION

Coach Mike Singletary said Crabtree has received a fair share of ribbing since reporting to the team. His new teammates demanded Crabtree sing “Happy Birthday” to Singletary last week.

And how is Crabtree's singing?

“Awful,” Singletary said.

“But not one time did he complain. Not one time did he show any body language of ‘I'm above this.' He's been a team guy since he's been here,” Singletary said.
EXTRA POINTS

The 49ers signed running back Keon Lattimore to the practice squad to fill the spot vacated when the Miami Dolphins signed Kory Sheets to their 53-man roster. Lattimore has spent the past two training camps with the Cowboys. He is a younger brother of Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis.

Offensive lineman Adam Snyder, who left the Oct. 11 game against the Falcons with a thigh contusion, said he will begin wearing thigh pads. He said he felt the pads limited his mobility. He is on the move this week after shifting from right tackle to right guard, where he said he will be doing more pulling on run plays.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
49ers Offense gets boost coming out of bye
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/22/SPD21A8VUM.DTL

Whether Michael Crabtree steps onto the field at Reliant Stadium as a starter Sunday or not, the 49ers come out of their bye week with a revitalized offense to play the Houston Texans.

Frank Gore is back, for one, and that's always good news for the 49ers, especially for an offense gone stodgy in his absence and ranked 29th in the league overall.

Coach Mike Singletary shuffled the offensive line during the bye week in an attempt to keep the hits from coming to quarterback Shaun Hill, who has been sacked 16 times in five games. Tony Pashos now has right tackle to himself, while Chilo Rachal and Adam Snyder will rotate at right guard.

"All 11 need to play well," Pashos said. "It's across the board. If any group doesn't hold up their end, it's not going to look good."

For the first time this season, Singletary called out Hill for his poor play in the Atlanta game. While insisting Hill is still the starter, Singletary also said, somewhat cryptically, "Alex Smith has never been out of the picture."

"Shaun Hill knows he has got to do a better job, and he will," Singletary said. "I have every confidence (in him). Right now, we feel Shaun Hill is the guy. This week, there should be some things coming together in terms of continuity."

Hill has taken every center snap but two this season (those went to Micheal Spurlock in the "Taser" formation) and has a lackluster passer rating of 80.7. While Hill is in the top 10 in the league in third-down passing, the 49ers are 31st on third down (20-of-71 converted), ahead of only the Raiders.

"We need to convert third downs better," Hill said. "We have to get in more third- and-manageable (situations). We've been in too many third-and-long. We need to do better on first and second down."

Having Crabtree as a receiving option should help, if early reviews on him in practice are an indication. Singletary on Wednesday was not prepared to name his No. 1 draft pick as the starter in place of Josh Morgan, but he spoke at length how important it is for Crabtree to get meaningful playing time.

"There are a number of different messages I can send," Singletary said, referring to playing Crabtree right away. "I could be a knucklehead and say, 'You know what? He wasn't here. Josh is going to start.' The most important message is we have to win. He's certainly going to play a lot."

Referring to his rookie's conditioning, the coach said, "It shows he hasn't been sitting on the couch looking at television."

The 49ers just gave Crabtree $17 million guaranteed, so time's a wasting, especially for a 3-2 team tied with Arizona for first in the NFC West.

"The team comes first," Singletary said. "The team wants to win. We're going to do all we can to make sure we have the best 11 on the field at all times. The most important thing for us is to get him out there as soon as we can and as much as we can, and see what he can and cannot do."

Wednesday marked the first time Crabtree practiced with the starting offense after spending time on the scout team since signing Oct. 6. The 49ers are limiting his media obligations early, and Crabtree was not available to answer questions Wednesday.

"It's a sense of urgency for him," Singletary said. "We need to find out what kind of playmaker he can be. We're excited to see what he has. It's going to be in our best interest to see what kind of impact he can have with our offense."

Gore's impact is a proven commodity. Helped by touchdown runs of 79 and 80 yards against Seattle, he's averaging 6.2 yards per carry. His backup, Glen Coffee, averaged 2.6 yards per carry in his stead. Gore left early in the Minnesota game Sept. 27 with injuries to his right ankle and heel.

"I think as long as everybody is on the same page, we can be as good as we want to be," Gore said. "I'm happy to be back with my teammates. I feel good. I can't wait until Sunday."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/22/SPD21A8VUM.DTL#ixzz09UA4AxRQ

VanD

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2004
LOL@ not needing Ed Reed, a pro bowl Safety is so important, and your realize the 49ers have never won a super bowl with out a pro bowl safety?
pro bowls are popularity contests. its a coincidence that we had pro bowl safeties for every super bowl, or is it? its not like we went to several different decades of super bowls.

i'm not saying safeties arent important, but the pro bowl is a stupid stat to base a players skill off of.

heres a list of great safeties that arent pro bowlers yet

tanard jackson
antrel rolle
reggie nelson
chris harris
laron landry
louis delmas

and theres lots more