Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Singletary's Notebook: May 18
http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=5305
Opening statement:
“Hello. Very excited to have our guys in, most of our guys anyways. Practice today, not where it needs to be, but we’ll get better. We know we have to get better going forward. Any questions?”

On the importance of OTAs for the younger players:
“OTAs are important for everybody: coaches, young players, veteran players. Obviously, the younger players for the first time they get a first chance to make an impression. It means a little bit more to them, simply because they need to let us know who they are. For the veterans as well, ‘Where are you? How you feeling? How are you doing? What have you remembered from last year? Coaches, ‘Hey, this is my style.’ So, it’s just a combination of a lot of little things, but a lot of good stuff.”

On establishing a tone as a head coach:
“You know what? I’m going to be me. It’s just a matter of coming out here, and I think the players know me well enough to know it’s all about getting better every day. And, if we’re not getting better, then that means we’re going backwards, and we can’t do that. So, that’s where that’s at.”

On what was lacking about today’s practice:
“Everything. Everything. I don’t even want to get started because I don’t have that much time. But, everything. It was not good. It is not the 49ers, where we’re planning to go, the things that we have in mind, this is not it. We cannot come out here, even though it’s not the regular season, even though it’s not training camp, but at the same time, it is an opportunity. And we didn’t do that. We lost a day today.”

On if anybody was an exception to that:
“No. To me, it’s just, and I’m speaking to one part of the team, then I’m speaking to everybody, including myself. We just have to continue to get better as a team.”

On if it accounted for the lengthy address with the team after practice:
“I don’t know. I really don’t know. I’m sure I would have said some positives. Hey, there were some positives things today. I don’t want to say the whole day was awful, because it wasn’t. But, it just wasn’t what it needed to be. And that’s really the bottom line.”

On determining a starting quarterback:
“I will say this: Jim [Raye], Mike [Johnson], all three of us, Jimmy Raye, we’re all communicating, continuing to communicate on the quarterback. And, they’re going to tell us when that decision needs to be made. I don’t think, you just, ‘OK, it’s that guy.’ They’re going to come out here and they’re going to compete, and at the end of the day, we’ll know when that decision needs to be made. And that’s when we’ll do it. Hopefully sooner than later.”

On if Alex look healthy again:
“Yes, he does. He looks healthy. He’s making some good throws. Obviously, a little rusty, but at the same time, I think he and Shaun [Hill], they just have to continue to compete. But, at the same time, not so much against each other, but against the best quarterbacks in the league, because that’s what it’s going to take for us to win.”

On if the quarterback will have a short or long leash when given the job:
“You know what? I really think we continue to decide, basically, the quarterback continues to go forward. Obviously, when you give a guy, you say, ‘This is your job.’ You don’t want to, ‘If you don’t play well, now, I’m going to take you out.’ You’re saying that, ‘I believe that you’re the guy.’ So, you’re going to give him time to go ahead and make the throws and do the things that he needs to do and give him time to take ownership of this team. So, it’ll work itself out. And, once again, I think it will show.”

On if drafting Michael Crabtree has ignited the young receivers:
“I think it’s a very natural thing. You drafted a guy at this position, but I think, not only that, but it adds some excitement. They are excited about, ‘Hopefully we are going to make some plays out here. So let’s get on the ball.’ But, Jerry Sullivan is not going to let those guys rest. So, we’re just going to continue to develop those guys, and, at the end of the day, it will all work itself out.”

On if he’s seen anything different from them:
“I think there is a sense of urgency in some of the guys. Jerry [Sullivan] and I talk on a continuing basis, of course I’m talking to all the coaches all the time. Jerry is pleased with what he has seen from some of the younger guys and they’re just continuing to develop.”

On his decision to release Jimmy Williams:
“Right now, we just felt it was the best thing to do. It is a numbers game. We feel good about the guys that we have and wanted to give it a look and see how it would work out, and just felt like, ‘You know what, right now is the best time to make that decision.’”

On if that means Reggie Smith is going to be permanently at safety:
“It means that’s a strong possibility.”

On not having some of the top-tier wide receivers here and if it affects the team:
“This week is, once again, it’s a voluntary thing. For those guys that aren’t here, I trust that they’re doing the things that they need to do to get better: talking, communicating with their coaches. So, the bottom line is, we’ll see when we have out next mini-camp what they look like and we’ll talk about some things.”

On if there is room for Mark Roman on the roster:
“There has always been room for Mark Roman on the roster. We’ve talked to Mark and let him know he’s important to what we’re trying to do. There was never a time that we said, ‘We don’t want Mark. He doesn’t matter to us.’ We want him and we’re very interested in keeping him. And, that’s not something that’s a secret to him.”

On if the hill is serving the purpose that Coach created it for:
“We’ll find out as the season gets underway. I think they’ll see a difference once the season gets underway, but it’s definitely given Duane Carlisle, strength and conditioning coach, some flexibility and some alternatives instead of just running straight ahead all the time, and he appreciates that. So, it’s meeting a need.”

On the pension plan for coaches and if it could be a deterrent to putting a future staff together:
“There is so much to that, that whole thing. Who’s doing the pension plan? Who’s not doing the pension plan? To what degree are they doing the pension plan? I think we’re just going to let all of that stuff work out. I think we talked about it as coaches. The most important thing we have to do is to focus on these players out here and get them ready to play and all that other stuff will work itself out.”

On if the assistant coaches expressed anything about the way things are heading:
“We’ve talked about it as a staff. Certainly, there are teams around the league that respond one way or another. Any time you’ve got 20 coaches, you’re never going to have everybody saying, ‘Hey. Way to go. Great.’ Everybody has their opinion, but at the same time, it’s all about winning. And we do have a pension in place, it’s just a little bit different than what we had before. So, we’ll just go forward with that.”

On his expectations for the offensive line to improve:
“Have to be. Have to be. If we’re going to be successful, our offensive line definitely has to respond. They know that. That’s no secret. I’m very excited about our offensive line and the possibilities of what they’re going to bring this year. The continuity and all of those other things, very excited about that.”

On talking with Frank Gore about not taking as many carries this year as he has in the past:
“Frank is smart enough to know that taking every snap, getting injured in the last couple of years – a little nick here, a little nick there – it helps to have somebody in there who can give him a break, share some of that load. So, he’s smart enough to know that that’s going to help him as well.”

On if Mark Roman was asked to stay away or if not attending was his decision:
“No, not at all. He’s welcome. He’s continuing to come. He’s with the coaches and gets his treatment and things like that. But, he can’t do much anyways. He’s still a little bit injured. He still has the pin in his ankle. Bone spurs and things like that. He’s working on getting healthy. Roman’s a professional and he’ll deal with it the right way.”
4rm yesterday!!!!

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Defense Looks Sharp at OTAs
http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=5311&section=PR News
The 49ers were told by head coach Mike Singletary to pick up their intensity level mid-way through the first day of OTAs.

But on the second day of the voluntary workout, there was no need for a reminder, as both sides of the ball raised their level of play in an up-tempo workout that featured several highlight-worthy catches.

Two of the plays came from the 49ers defense, which came up with interceptions from rookie linebacker Scott McKillop and starting free safety Dashon Goldson.

“I thought yesterday we started off slow and picked up towards the end and today we came out and competed on both sides of the ball,” Goldson said after practice. “I think we put it all together today and got a couple of turnovers.”

After seeing the offense complete a flea flicker pass a few plays prior, Goldson recognized that the same play was being ran by quarterback Alex Smith and rookie running back Glen Coffee.

Goldson wasn’t fooled by what was happening in the backfield and was able to make an impressive leaping interception down the right sideline in front of the waiting arms of wide receiver Josh Morgan.

“The running back didn’t really sell the fake when he got the ball, he immediately gave it back to the quarterback,” Goldson said. “I saw the receiver pushing up the field and normally he’s supposed to block me. He released up like he was running up the field and I just had a good read on the play.”

Not only was it a good read, the interception took tremendous focus and concentration as Goldson out-jumped Morgan, caught the ball at its highest point and proceeded to get both of his feet inbounds.

“Knowing us, we’re always about competition,” Goldson said. “We have great guys, great cornerbacks and great wide receivers, so there’s always a great competition out here. That’s what we have to do on defense – get turnovers – that’s what we have to live by.”

The second turnover came when McKillop intercepted a Smith pass intended for Frank Gore and returned it 20-yards for a would-be touchdown.

“It was a new coverage we put in today and I dropped off on the route in front of me and I was in the right place at the right time,” McKillop said modestly. “It felt pretty good. With the reps that I do have, I’d like to capitalize and make the best of them and I was glad that I did that today.”

Middle linebacker Justin Roland also recovered a Thomas Clayton fumble and returned it 10 yards down the left sideline, which was the third and final turnover of the day.

“So far we’ve been looking good,” Goldson explained. “We are a little ahead of the offense, because they have a new coordinator and a lot of us have been playing together and we have the same coordinator on defense. But we’re still making progress (on defense), we still have more things to iron out for us to be that great defense that we’re trying to be.”

On the other side of the ball, the offense made several impressive plays of their own during the team portion of practice.

Many of them involved Gore, who has looked completely healthy after suffering an ankle injury that hampered him for the final three-and-a-half games of last season.

“Today went much better,” Gore said. “Everybody was flying around. We looked like a better team today. We took a step forward, now we just have to keep moving and try to get better.”

Gore has been training with his personal trainer in his hometown of Miami and has come into the organized team activities looking much leaner.

“I know the coaches have been telling me that I have to be in tip-top shape and I have to be ready to take the load, and that’s what I’m going to do,” he said.

Even some of his teammates complimented Gore during practice on how he was looking, “lean and mean.”

Gore was specifically asked if he is a fan of the 49ers new offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye and his brand of football.

“I like it so far,” he said. “We’re running the ball a lot. We’re doing a lot of downhill runs, and that’s my type of running style. My style is I like to have my shoulders square. A lot of runs and a lot of running plays are going straight downhill, (where you) just pick your hole and go.”

Gore said he feels encouraged about the new offense, because of the similarities it has to the one the 49ers ran in 2006 under Norv Turner. That year, Gore set franchise records rushing for 1,695 yards on 312 carries and earned his first Pro Bowl selection.

Gore also complimented his new backup in the backfield in Coffee and said he’s willing to share the ball with the rookie.

“I feel like the more I’m in the game, the more I touch the ball, the better player I am,” Gore said. “The back (Coffee) they’ve got here is a pretty good back. He’s working very hard and he’s learning the offense. I like him. Whenever they feel that they want to put him in, I feel that he’ll be alright to get in the game.”

Sights and Sounds

During team stretches, Nate Clements and Shaun Hill continued their light-hearted trash talking battle from the previous day. Clements wondered if he was worthy of a big “X” after his interception on Monday.

Hill replied, “Maybe I’ll put a little star by your X.”

Nate quickly chirped back, “You can put an LD next to it – for lock down.”

While participating in tight end drills in the individual portion of practice, tight end Brian Jennings caught a pass and proceeded to put his finger in the air and said, “Touchdown!” while dragging his feet on the grass as if he were Deion Sanders. But Jennings didn’t forget his post-touchdown responsibility, the team’s long snapper said, “Touchdown on the ball,” as if he had to go snap the point after.

As for some of the best sights on Tuesday, the second play of 11-on-11 work saw Hill connect with a wide-open Gore out of the backfield on a seam route for a 25-yard gain.

A few plays later, outside linebacker Manny Lawson flashed some athleticism by quickly getting in the backfield and batting down a pass from Hill intended for running back Thomas Clayton in the right flat.

The best play of the day by the offense went to Morgan, who earned the honor by catching a 30-yard pass from Hill over the middle. What made the play impressive was how he came down with the ball despite being tightly covered by undrafted free agent cornerback Carlos Thomas on his post pattern. Morgan snared the ball away from Thomas and afterwards, the two got tangled up and fell to the ground. After the dust had settled on the play, Morgan had the ball in his hands and one shoe on his feet. The other had come off as the two hit the ground.

A close second to Morgan’s catch happened on the first flea flicker of practice when Gore flipped the ball back to Hill, who then found an open wideout in Dominique Zeigler. Despite being covered closely by veteran cornerback Walt Harris, Zeigler was able to use his lanky 6-foot-3 body to pull the ball down, before getting both feet in bounds.

Injury Update

While closely guarding Zeigler on the first flea flicker of practice, Harris fell to the ground and sat out the rest of practice with a knee sprain and will be evaluated by team doctors.

Later in the 11-on-11 portion of practice, Zeigler also was injured when he inadvertently collided with Goldson. Zeigler was banged up on the play and will also be evaluated.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Santa Clara, 49ers reach deal on new stadium
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/05/20/BAQN17NENR.DTL

Santa Clara officials late Tuesday signed off, in a closed session, on the parameters of a deal with the San Francisco 49ers to build a 68,500-seat stadium in the South Bay, city officials said.

Agreement on the deal, after more than a year of talks, marked a major milestone in the 49ers' effort to move the football team from San Francisco, where the team has played since 1946.

"This was the most difficult part of the entire process," Santa Clara City Councilman Jamie Matthews said of the negotiations. "Ultimately, the authority lies with the public. They're going to be the ones who decide on whether it's built or not."

Santa Clara residents will go to the ballot box to decide whether to back the deal their city leaders hashed out with the team. That vote will likely come in March, after an environmental-impact study is completed.

City officials declined late Tuesday to make public details of the final proposal, saying those would be released May 29 in advance of a June 2 City Council meeting to discuss the proposal and potentially have the council vote on whether to back it.

The 49ers announced more than two years ago they wanted to move to Santa Clara, site of the team's headquarters. They hope to have a new stadium built in time for the 2014 football season.

Mayor Patricia Mahan has said the proposal calls for Santa Clara to contribute less than $90 million toward the $854 million stadium, money that will come from redevelopment funds and a tax on hotel customers.

The city would own the stadium and charge the team rent, Mahan said. The proposed lease terms were not disclosed.

The city also would cover the $62 million cost of moving an electricity substation and building a new parking garage at the site, Mahan has said. The city has already allocated funds for the garage, which had been planned to serve the Santa Clara Convention Center across the street.

Those figures mark a reduction of at least $70 million from what the team had sought in public funding.

Even so, it remains to be seen whether Santa Clara residents will support the deal.

If they do, other stumbling blocks remain, said former 49ers President Carmen Policy, who is shepherding Mayor Gavin Newsom's efforts to keep the team in San Francisco.

The 49ers are anticipating NFL funding help with a stadium, but Commissioner Roger Goodell said in December that a league fund for stadiums had been depleted and there were no plans to replenish it given the recession.

Securing market financing and league help in the current economic climate, then keeping costs under control, were "not mere speed bumps," Policy said.

"We're talking about major depressions in the road ahead that involve kicking in the four-wheel drive," Policy said.

Jan 23, 2006
Updated: May 20, 2009, 4:18 PM ET
Injured Niner Harris faces ACL surgeryComment Email Print Share Associated Press

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- San Francisco 49ers cornerback Walt Harris could miss the upcoming season after tearing a ligament in his right knee.

NFC West blog

ESPN.com's Mike Sando writes about all things NFC West in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Harris, 34 and a 13-year pro entering his fourth year with the 49ers, was injured during Tuesday's practice in a collision with receiver Dominique Zeigler. Harris will need surgery on his anterior cruciate ligament, which is at least partially torn.

Harris, who has 35 career interceptions and four touchdowns, also played for Chicago, Indianapolis and Washington. He was chosen for the Pro Bowl during his first season with San Francisco in 2006.

Tarell Brown probably will take Harris' place atop the 49ers' depth chart opposite fellow cornerback Nate Clements.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

caff

Sicc OG
May 10, 2002
The niners are shaping up to be a decent squad defensively. Singeltary is a good coach, very intense. Harris was their best CB, Clements was a bust. Their Safeties aren't that strong either. Bad news for the niners

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
OTA observations; options at cornerback
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/022466.html?mi_rss=49ers Blog and Q&A

Obviously the big news on Day Three of OTAs was Walt Harris' ACL tear, which will probably knock him out for the 2009 season. The 49ers seem content right now to allow Tarell Brown and Shawntae Spencer to move up in the pecking order but they also likely will bring in a few free-agent cornerbacks for workouts in coming weeks. One of the best of the bunch available is Roderick Hood, who is a six-year veteran of the Eagles and Cardinals. The 49ers have not yet inquired about Hood, according to Hood's agent.

Maybe it was because his idol - Jerry Rice - was watching from the sideline or maybe it was because he's one of the last receivers still practicing, but Josh Morgan had another prolific afternoon today. In fact, you might say that Morgan has been the offensive star of the team's OTAs this week. He caught deep passes on Monday and Tuesday, and today showed that he could catch a ball in traffic when he outwrestled inside linebacker Mark Washington for a short pass over the middle. Rice, in town to shoot an ESPN show called "Homecoming," spoke to Morgan and his teammates for 12 minutes after practice.

Another receiver who looked good today was tight end Vernon Davis, who seems to be a bit slimmer (read: less muscle-bound) this season. On three occasions, Davis leapt with his arms stretched high to bring down a pass. On one of those catches, Davis was inadvertently knocked down from behind by Washington. This is supposed to be a non-contact practice (tell that to Dominique Zeigler) and the collision was one that Davis, no stranger to practice fisticuffs, might have taken exception to in the past. This time, Davis merely popped back up and continued running down the field with the ball.

Two of those high passes to Davis were thrown by Alex Smith. He has noticeably more zip on his throws than in previous sessions, but a lot of them have been sailing a bit. No doubt this is one of the side effects of regaining your arm strength. All in all, this has to be considered a positive OTA session for a guy who has had two shoulder surgeries in the last two years.

Perhaps the prettiest throw of the day came from Shaun Hill, who launched a perfect touch-pass rainbow down the right sideline to Michael Robinson, who caught it in stride. Hill celebrated the pass with a huge fist pump.

Davis out leaped Dashon Goldson for one of his receptions. On the next play, however, Goldson stepped in front of the receiver for his second INT in as many days. Again, this is precisely what the 49ers, who had ZERO interceptions from their safeties a year ago, are hoping for from Goldson in the regular season. ... Goldson also appears to be one of three defenders who could wear the radio receiver for the 49ers this season. The other candidates are Michael Lewis and Patrick Willis. So far this spring none of those guys have experimented with the receiver although all three had a chance to wear it last offseason.

Jeff Ulbrich was excused from today's session. He was replaced by rookie Scott McKillop and first-year linebacker Justin Roland.... Zeigler, Lewis, Arnaz Battle (foot), Michael Crabtree (foot), Jason Hill (ankle) and Kentwan Balmer (knee) observed today's practice. Zeigler suffered a concussion in yesterday's non-contact practice. None of those guys will practice in tomorrow's OTA finale ... Crabtree says he is able to do everything that his teammates are doing as far as the weight-room regimen. The only thing he is not doing is running. He said he plans to be running again by the start of training camp, which likely will be July 30, although the date has not yet been settled.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
The 49ers are wasting no time in targeting a replacement for injured Walt Harris, as the club is scheduled to meet Thursday with veteran free-agent cornerback Dre' Bly, a league source said.

The 49ers had no immediate comment on their interest in Bly.

Harris is likely to miss the season after sustaining a torn anterior-cruciate ligament in his right knee during organized team activities on Tuesday. The club announced today Harris would require surgery.

Bly, 32, a 10-year NFL veteran, played 2007 and '08 with the Broncos. The club released him in February during a purge of the defense after the arrivals of new coach Josh McDaniels and defensive coordinator Mike Nolan.

Prior to joining the Broncos in a trade, Bly played four seasons with the Lions. He has been one of the highest-paid cornerbacks in the league ($6.5 million average salary the past six seasons) after leaving the Rams as a free agent in 2003. Bly entered the league as a second-round pick of the Rams in 1999.

Bly has played every game -- and 97 percent of his teams' defensive snaps -- the past three seasons. In his career, he has been selected to two Pro Bowls while recording 40 interceptions and forcing 17 fumbles.

If the 49ers sign Bly, he would be expected to compete against Tarell Brown and Shawntae Spencer for the starting job opposite Nate Clements.