Nickelodeon to air special on gay parents despite protests

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 21, 2002
Sacramento, CA
NEW YORK (AP) --Despite a staggering 100,000 e-mails and phone calls in protest, Nickelodeon will telecast a special for children about same-sex parents on Tuesday night.

The half-hour report, produced by Linda Ellerbee and featuring Rosie O'Donnell, includes comments from the Rev. Jerry Falwell -- who later joined conservative activists in urging Nickelodeon not to air it.

The Washington-based Traditional Values Coalition has spearheaded the campaign against "Nick News Special Edition: My Family is Different," sight unseen. There were so many e-mails Nickelodeon had to set up a separate address to avoid a computer crash.

"It is a cover for promoting homosexuality for kids," said Andrea Lafferty, the coalition's executive director.

Nickelodeon said that's not so. Ellerbee, in the show's introduction, says, "The following program is about tolerance ... It is not about sex. It does not tell you what to think."

Ellerbee, who won a Peabody Award for a Nickelodeon special that delicately dissected the Monica Lewinsky scandal for children, said she conceived of this show upon reading that the word "fag" had become the most common schoolyard epithet.

O'Donnell's public acknowledgement that she is a lesbian put the subject in the news, Ellerbee said.

The program, which airs at 9 p.m. EDT, is largely a discussion. Although it also features a gay school principal and a gay New York City firefighter who is a father of three, children are the focus.

Some children with gay parents talk about feeling uncomfortable about what other kids say in school. Other children discuss their objection to homosexuality.

"It is never a wrong time to talk about hate," Ellerbee said. "It's just not. That's all our show is about. It is not in any way about the homosexual lifestyle. It's not even introducing the subject to most kids. They know. But quite frankly, many of them know it from a hate standpoint without even knowing what they're talking about."

But Lafferty said, "They keep saying it is not about sexuality. It is about sexuality."

Parents are upset because many thought they never had to worry about Nickelodeon's content, she said.

"They have been led to believe that Nick is a safe harbor," she said. "Now they've been exposed. The skirt has been lifted and Nick has been exposed."

Lafferty was asked by Nickelodeon if the Traditional Values Coalition would recommend children to be included in the special. She refused.

Falwell agreed to be interviewed, however, and is quoted expressing his opposition to homosexuality on Christian grounds. He also said it's important to respect other points of view and not react with violence.

He said later, in an interview with The Associated Press, that he is sorry Nickelodeon feels the need to "indoctrinate" children on homosexuality.

"Nickelodeon should stay away from endorsing lifestyles that are generally not accepted by the American public," Falwell said. "It turns a children's network into something parents feel a responsibility to edit and carefully filter."

Asked how he reconciled his participation in the show with a call not to air it, Falwell said, "I've often said I would preach in hell if they promised to let me out."

Ellerbee said she was disappointed by Falwell's later comments.

Most of Ellerbee's Nick News programs air at 8:30 p.m. This show has been pushed back a half hour -- to a time when the network usually runs old sitcoms -- because of its sensitivity, said Herb Scannell, Nickelodeon's chief executive.

Lafferty claimed advertisers wouldn't touch the show; Scannell said the plan was always to be commercial-free. Some other Ellerbee shows, including the Clinton discussion and one about AIDS, also contained no ads.

Scannell said he had no hesitation about airing the special.

"I thought it was in a territory that we've been before, in terms of looking at the world from a kid's point of view," he said. "The whole philosophy of Nick is that it's tough to be a kid in an adult world."

May 12, 2002
GoProGraphics.com
Hmmm, i was all about not wanting them to air it until i read the last paragraph. Its pretty odd to have to show kids this tho.

Lol @ a gay firefighter.

I think its up to paernets to teach their kids tolerance but than again a lot of parents wouldnt dare talk to their kids about "2 daddy" babies. Maybe it is a good idea to show it, as long as its strictly informational.

May 9, 2002
I DONT CARE ABOUT NO MUFUKIN OPINION WHEN IT COMES TO THIS
HOMOSEXUALITY IS A DAMN DISEASE WITHOUT A CURE , sorta like
Cancer and unfortunately it seems to be spreading just as fast!!!

Now why would u wanna present the kids that watch TV that it's ''Cool'' to have two SICK Parents

Man,
showin em how family-life with BOTH Parents could be is unusual enough nowadays

Damn ....Fagalization of this society, next thing you know we'll have a new popular Music Genre named Gaysta-Rap

FUK THE WORLD, bein gay aint no Trend!!!

May 5, 2002
you fools better no be in other threads asking for equality of blacks cuz your acting ignorant as fuck in here. People don't do that shit cuz they think its "cool" they do it because they were born that way...

Apr 25, 2002
I WOULDN'T LET MY DAUGHTER WATCH IT......IT'S UP TO PARENTS TO DECIDE WHAT THEIR KIDS LEARN ABOUT FAGS....FUCK A TV SHOW....I BELIEVE THEY ARE TRYING TO BRAINWASH KIDS INTO BELIEVING BEING A FUDGEPACKER IS OK.....IT'S NOT NATURAL AND IS WRONG IN THE EYES OF GOD......ROSIE O'DONNELL SHOULD DIE....

May 21, 2002
Sacramento, CA
Whoa.

I find the lifestyle strange but, I don't "hate" homosexuals. Hell, my best friend is gay as can be (though he wasn't always so). My personal opinion is that there are basically three types:

1) The ones that were "born that way" suffer from some genetic defect beyond their control. Not their fault, just a glitch in the DNA string. If being gay were truley "natural" then we'd all be gay and the human race would die off in a single generation unable to reproduce.

2) The "chosen ones" are those that chose to lead this new life for various reasons be it a horrible string of bad heterosexual relationships, a sexually abusive childhood, a temporary chemical imbalance (somewhere during pueberty), or plain old shock value.

3) The "sometimies". These folks are basically "bi". They swing both ways and basically do what the fuck they want, what they want, and who they want. They can switch up with the seasons, but usually settle down on one side of the fence or another as they get older. If asked "how?" You'll usually find they got a "lil too freaky" one nite and liked it or simply were turned out in a moment of vulnerbility.

My best friend falls somewhere between #2 and 3.

May 21, 2002
Sacramento, CA
BTW, I feel same sex marriage is no business of mine but, welcoming kids into the mix is irresponsible and a bit selfish. You got to look at the big picture. You're setting up these children for some pretty horrific experiences.

May 9, 2002
for real

Apart from my personal dislike of these ''imbalanced'' people

I think no kid deserves to grow up wit two homosexuals as his ''authorities''

Havin one healthy single-parent might also have some negative consequences but two homosexuals? I dont know how such a child can grow up and naturally find its place in society, maybe it'll be raised to be Gay

letting Gay people raise children as their parents goes too far in my opinion

These people might have a right to be tolerated , but raising children is in a way influencing/ a contribution to tomorrow's society....and I dont want Gay people (Especially those that ''Decided'' to change their sexual interets) to become a majority

PLOT

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
SHEA said:

DAMN DUDE....MY EVERY POST....YOU ARE ON IT...& I'M THE ONE THATS GIRLIE?
NAH. SAVAGE IS MORE LIKE IT....CAUSE I LIKE MY HANDS TO LOOK PROPER, I'M GIRLIE?
FUCK THAT. YOUR TRIPPIN FOLKS.

WHEN IT COMES TO FAG SHIT....I JUST LOOK AT THEM AS THE PLAUGE OF THE WORLD...I WAS RIASED PROPER.

SHEA
Damn I dont go that far. My bottom line is, do what you do, it's your buisness, but dont expect me to embrace and accept it, because I dont have to or want to. You force feed your pervertedness on someone else. Heterosexual pride on mine!

PLOT

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
You guys probablyhavnt heard, there will soon be a fruitcake cable channel of assorted fruits ONLY. Like the fag BET. Nothing but fruity soap operas, fruity commercials, and fruits with hella diseases.:angry:

Apr 25, 2002
Snubnoze said:
whole lotta ignorance goin on here.....
WHY DO PEOPLE CALL IT IGNORANCE WHEN YOU DON'T WANT THE MEDIA TO BRAINWASH CHILDREN INTO THINKING THAT BEING GAY IS OK?
IT IS NOT OK,IT IS WRONG........AND NOW A COUPLE OF QUOTES FROM A QUALIFIED SOURCE ON SEXUAL CULTURE,,,

SILLY FAGGOT,DICKS ARE FOR CHICKS/.....DICE CLAY

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS BI-SEXUAL-EITHER YOU SUCK DICK OR YOU DON'T SUCK DICK-THERE IS NO IN BETWEEN/......DICE CLAY

May 17, 2002
www.xianex.com
homosexuality being exposed to kids on a network that reaches MILLIONS of children is just SICC. I think its totally disgusting.
kids should be watchin cartoons! they shouldnt be learning about how to be mind fucced. thats just ridiculous. I dont have any kids of my own but if i ever do i wont be exposing them to the aberrant behavior of sexual deviants on a cartoon network.

homosexuality is a siccness that some choose willingly to participate in. to me its the equivlent of smoking cracc. if you smoke cracc and like it fine. but dont offer a pipe to innocent kids who dont understand what drugs will do to them.

nickleodeon is just fuccing STOOPID