new tool

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Here is what I just PM'd Cranky (I don't feel like typing it out again lol)

So far I have kind of a mixed view on the album (which I did with Lateralus at first too.) I personally really like Jambi, The Pot and Right in Two alot.

I totally agree with you about the absense of Maynard. I mean he is there and all but it's not alot of his "usual" style of singing. But then they are a "progressive" group so you have to expect the unexpected.

Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days sound really dope but right now I have to peep the album with headphones because others in my house are asleep. So I can't get the full blast effect lol.

I don't know though I am going to give it atleast 3-4 days to soak before I give my final verdict. Until then the jury is out to lunch.

Nuttkace

Apr 25, 2002
My big question right now is has Maynard found God? It almost seems like his lyrics are suggesting that he is apologizing for not believing......It's so hard to tell at this point.......

Psilo707

Complete O.G.
Jun 25, 2002
Gimcheon, South Korea
www.seoulhunter.com
I dont think Maynard has found "God" in the traditional Christian/western religion sense, I think hes more referring to a generalized "place" or "creator" where he can speak about his Mom finally being able to rest at. Hes not denying the possibility that there is life after death, I think.. heres what Wings Pt 2 says at the end:

Daylight dims leaving cold fluorescence
Difficult to see you in this light
Please forgive this bold suggestion
Should you see your maker's face tonight
Look him in the eye
Look him in the eye, and tell him:
"I never lived a lie
Never took a life
But surely saved one.
Hallelujah, its time for you to bring me home"

I think hes still cynical and semi-pissed at the whole concept, but I need to listen way more..

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
I just listen to Wings for Marie/10,000 Days blasting because no one is home. I'll I got to say is that those songs are fucking amazing. I have expensive headphones I was listening to last night and they did the song no justice. You have to listen to it through speakers...and loud as possiable lol.

Thoughts today Cranky or Psilo?

Nuttkace

Apr 25, 2002
I've been listening to the CD on and off through the morning, and I still need to go drive around blasting it. I fuckin' swear that while I slept all night I could hear Jambi in my head and I woke up still hearing it. I like the CD more and more each time I hear it fa sholy, but the jury is still out........

EDIT: Last night I was listening to Lost Keys with head phones on and it was trippin' me the fuck OUT. I kept thinking I was hearing my phone ringing at 3:00AM. There is something in the background that resembles my phone ringing.......

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Fuck it...my verdict is already in. I have been listening to the cd nonstop today besides while in class. Shit is dope as fuck...it almost has a Pink Floyd vibe to some of it. Right in Two is just hands down a piece of musical perfection IMO. That song is one of the best I think I have ever heard from Tool. Wings for Marie/10,000 Days is numbing...but in a good way. You can tell it took alot out of Maynard to make the song(s). Danny's druming is top notch on the album.

I'm sure this album is going to grow on me even more. Lateralus took awhile to totally sink in all the way for me. Aenima IMO is still their best work...but fuck...this album is great.

I hope you guys find it as enjoyable as I am now.

Nuttkace

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Allmusic.com 10,000 Days review.

They gave it four out of fiver stars.

In an age where major labels dictate that new releases from bands appear on record store shelves every 18 months or so, rare is the artist given freedom and ability to reflect and stretch out to explore creative evolution and release music as an artist, rather than the prepackaged predictability of an entertainer. Thankfully, Tool has somehow managed to circumvent these rituals, releasing a record every four to five years as they so feel the need. This ability to patiently craft their musical direction has paid off for not only the band, but for listeners, as they've been able to expand their musical vocabulary from album to album with great precision, all the while remaining true to the foundations that built such a loyal, if not cult-like, following. But with this absence comes changes to the popular music landscape, as new bands and sounds (as well as a new generation of heavy metal fans to entertain) replace and stimulate the charts. Namely: a lot can happen in five years, especially with a fickle rock audience that is overinundated with constant new bands' songs. The group defied expectations (and even got radio airplay) with Lateralus, but would fans stick with them during the hiatus? There were moments when Maynard James Keenan would emerge courtesy of A Perfect Circle, and there were also several stunning video DVDs to pacify while 10,000 Days was being written, along with cryptic messages via their website, but that was about it.

Thankfully, 10,000 Days was worth the labor pains and wait to deliver. It's not only a step forward for the band, but a re-embracing of the epic-length rock songs found at the roots of early heavy metal. The album starts out with "Vicarious," which features some of Maynard's most straightforward lyrics since Ænema's "Hooker with a Penis." Essentially a biting commentary on reality television, information stimulus overload, and living through others' experiences, it's only a brief glimpse of what's to come, as 10,000 Days also offers some of Keenan's most confessional lyrics. The 17-minute epic "Wings for Marie/10,000 Days" is an ode to his mother, who passed away during the band's hiatus after dealing with paralysis from a stroke for 27 years. In a way, it's voyeuristic to listen to someone working out family issues on disc, but Keenan does it in a way that's sensitive and honest without ever treading the careful line between melodrama and sincerity. Most of the songs are a bit long in the tooth when compared to most metal songs these days, but then again, Tool isn't exactly just another band, either. With most songs clocking in over six minutes, the exercises in songwriting wouldn't work as well with any other band. But when you have such high-caliber musicianship as Danny Carey and Adam Jones anchoring drums and guitar, respectively, it's hard to make a wrong turn. The anger that served as fuel for some of their greatest works has been replaced with calmer and more introspective moments as they patiently work out rhythm and melodic passages from one theme to the next. That's not to say the anger isn't still there; it does check in from song to song, but like most of Tool's fan base that has stuck with them through their first recordings, the group has evolved beyond that stage and has moved on to new concepts to explore. So depending upon which Tool you are looking for, you're either going to love or hate 10,000 Days. If it's the hard-driving band with an intellectually driven existential anger and fits of Hot Topic-laden angst, they've fled for other pastures (probably to Arizona Bay). But if you're looking for the Tool whose passion and introspection is complemented by intense emotion, brutal honesty, and musical maturity, you'll be hard-pressed to find a better metal album in 2006.

Apr 25, 2002
Nutt: I had the same problem with Toolnavy.com when I first tried to register with a yahoo address. They apparently don't like people using those free addresses. Maybe that was the problem? When I used my school addy the registration worked just fine.......

I'm still soakin' the CD....still don't know what the fuck to think of the CD. This shit needs A LOT of digestion..........

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Well I'm not getting into Toolnavy.com then because I'm not paying for a email address lol.

Personally I'm loving the cd...I think I just listned to Wings/10,000 Days about 5 times in a row while writting this paper for school lol.

Nuttkace

Apr 25, 2002
I think I'm going to put the CD away for a while and revisit it later.......Hopefully when I return to it I like it better..........

I need to find a good place to put the sticker that came on the outside plastic wrapper......Did you guys keep that sticker?

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Really didn't like it that much I'm taking it then Cranky? Right now I'm really digging it a lot. It is way different then anything they have done before...but so is every one of their releases.

Curious though as of right now what are your overall feeling. What songs do/don't you like?

Oh yeah and to quote from my other post:
Oh did I mention that right now Tool is putting on what I am positive is an amazing show about 6 or so blocks from where I live:mad:

Apr 25, 2002
That is fuckin' weak that you couldn't get tickets to that show. It would have been amazing to see these songs live....

As far as the CD.....I "like" most of the songs, but they just don't kick ass like songs on their previous albums. The songs sound way too subdued, and I fuckin' hate that Maynard doesn't belt out the vocals on this album. The songs don't seem to build up like they did on the older albums. They just sort of take you on a long journey with no destination. I don't know I'm hoping the more I listen and the more I become accustomed to the music it will get better. I'm going to quit listening to it for a while though because sometimes albums hit me after I come back to them.......

EDIT: By the way, I've probably listened to this CD about 10 times all the way through from start to finish.......