New Slo-O interview (Discusses New Album, Obama, Current State of Hip-Hop)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
(Questions contributed by Priceless Swagg Magazine & FFAMD Online Magazine)

In five words describe your music?
Soulful, real, spiritual, pain, struggle

What is the name of your album and why was that your choice?
Devil On My Back! The name explains it all, if you ever went to church at least one time you always hear the preacher talking about good and evil, god and the devil. There's a war going on not only on earth but inside us all, no ones perfect but its on you to decide what side of the fence you want to be on when its said and done. The devil is always lingering waiting for you to step in when your at your weakest and that's basically why I choose that title "Devil On My Back "cause that's how I feel everyday living around here.

What should we expect in this album?
Music from the soul! But I got something for everyone on this album. This album is a classic!!! No lie I can guarantee you'll like 75% of the album, this is music from another point of view of the streets, I speak about the mental strain the blocks put on you being out there every day, I speak on every aspect of the hood. If you are going threw any type of struggle rich or poor you can relate to the album. Expects a emotional rush when you listen to the album.

What day is the album released or was released?
It was released Aug.12!!!!!!

How can everybody get a copy? what do we have to do?
Itunes, amazon, emusic, napster or any other online stores. Be sure to leave comments especially on Itunes store. My song "Soul on Ice" is currently "single of the week" in Itunes. the album is rated 4 & 1/2 stars by fans so show some support.

What is your favorite song on it and why?
No. like I said it's a classic you can just let it play

Are there any songs written for or dedicated to anyone special?
Phone call was dedicated to my moms. She doing life so I had to acknowledge that situation or I wouldn't had felt right feel me.

Do you write your own songs? if so what inspires you to write?
Yeah I write every word, life has a funny way of inspiring people and I'm no different what I see everyday inspires me. If I couldn't right all this stuff down on paper I would've been went crazy forreal.

On a more personal note ... describe your dating life. Is it hard to work as hard as you do and have time to date?
Its cool. i always make time to do it.

When you were a little kid did you always dream of being an artist?
Always! when i was six i knew i wanted to be a rap artist.

What is your advice to others who are trying to follow your footsteps?
Never give up. believe in god and anything you put your mind to can happen.

How did you come up with your stage name? Is it a trademark?
Its just a nickname I got from the hood nothing special. When I was younger me and my folks use to run in packs me being in the back all the time they start calling me Slo-O also because I so laid back you know a real smooth dude feel me, most of the people who call me the name don't even know why they just call me that because they hear other people call me the name.

Who are your musical influences?
The people who where influential in my sound where Rakim, Tupac, Nas, Nwa, Jay-Z, Snoop its a lot of people who influenced my style I can't think of them now but I do remember the one video that made me want to be a rapper it was KRS -1 "my philosophy" I sat down and watched that video like man that's what I want to do seeing that video was a heavy influence on me forreal.

What inspires you to do what you do?
Me being a better artist inspires me. I just love to make songs not to sound corny but I love hip hop to death since 6 this the only thing I know, seeing my people out there on them blocks inspire me every day's a constant reminder that what I'm writing down in these notebooks could eventually get me out the hood.

How do you describe your music to people?
I think its soul music. What I talk about anybody can relate to it if you got a soul, I'm not going to lie and say I don't have the typical shit on there cause the point of the matter is that I'm from the hood and I do hood shit- so I write about hood shit. But the reason why I call it soul music is because I speak about the mental war going on in ourselves, when you listen to the songs Heaven Ain't Close, Soul on Ice or Block Roller Coaster it talks about the mental struggles niggas go threw on those blocks out there. It's a war going on inside yourself and I'm just trying to let my niggas know, that's why I say its soul music you don't necessarily got to be on the block to feel my music, everybody goes threw this it don't matter if you rich, poor, black or white, good and evil lives inside all of us its your choice what side you choose.

If there were one thing you could change about yourself, what would it be?
Nothing I'm pretty comfortable about myself and what I'm doing right now in my life.

What lead you to Hip Hop and made you want to be a rapper?
I used to hear my brother listening to rap in his room all the time. Me being so young I couldn't buy my own records so I would go in his room and listen all day, he listen to old school music like Rakim, EPMD, Big Daddy Kane, Mc San dudes like that but that was a blessing in a way because it made me focus on lyrics more. What made me want to be a rapper? Hands down was when I saw KRS-1 video "MY Philosophy" that change my life.

From your perspective what is the difference between Hip Hop and Rap?
It's not a difference to me. People just have different way to express their selves for instance back in the days you had Rakim, then you had a group like Kid n Play, two totally different acts but you didn't hear about nobody dissecting the hip hop form back then you feel me. People just need to let people do what they do if you don't like it don't listen to it.

How do you keep yourself original in this business?
I think originality comes from with in if you been a follower before the rap thing then guess what? You going to be the same follower when you get in the rap game. Things don't change I stay original because that's just the person I am. I don't care about what people think I just do me.

Give our readers a history of where you grew up and what life was like for and how you made it to this point?
I grew up most of my life in San Francisco but I was back and forth a lot of places in between went to a couple of Borden schools, lived all around the bay area. How I got to this point is seeing all my folks go to jail or just die for petty shit that goes on in the hood. That's my inspiration to tell the truth, That's what drives me to write and make moves to better my position in life..

Gangsta rap or Conscious Hip Hop?
Both!!! Why I say that is because I think I'm a mixer of both of those genders has had a influence on me.

I'm dissatisfied with what I hear on the radio and see on TV in regards to hip hop?
I don't listen to the radio at all anymore. My primary music sources are coming from the Internet and word of mouth.

With that said...Is Hop Hop dead, alive or on life support? And why?
Hip Hop dead naw!! Not at all to me . Hip hop is a state of mind, its how I live everyday from what I where to the way I talk. I the people think hip op is dead its because they gave up on hip hop stop depending on the radio to give you what you want to hear. This music been underground way longer then commercial. If you want to hear the music you want to hear go find it and stop complaining, back in the days people didn't dissect music you had artist like Rakim and Big Daddy Kane, then you had artists like Kid- N -Play a lot of artist like Kid -N- Play and people was hollering hip hop is dead. Bottom line is if you don't like what's on the radio and TV don't turn it on, but people express themselves in different ways don't knock it just don't listen to it.

Why would someone want you to buy your CD or download your music? What separates you from the rest?
If you like soul music you'll like my music. Its something you feel not just listen to, I give you a visual of what I been threw every lyric is from the heart I bleed my soul onto the paper on some of these songs if you got a heart you will fell this album, if you don't you'll still feel the album. That's what's separates me from the rest of the people the pain I put on records.

Where do you see yourself going with this?
Hopefully to another level of the game. I just want a all my albums to be classics! hopefully this is the beginning of that.

Okay this year we have a black man who just might turn the White House black or into the Presidential House. There has been debate amongst people especially in the African American community as to if Obama is black enough or not. Is there really such a thing as 'acting white' or do you think that is some bullshit...Your thoughts?
Bullshit!!! he's a stand up brother. I think he realizes it don't matter how you act at the end of the day you still black, and the same racial prejudices are there no matter what.

Do you think the African American community is moving toward direction of the "haves" and the "have nots" or is racism still the predominate issue?
No matter what we do we will continue to be the have "nots" until we understand that for us to be the "haves" we got to rebuild our own communities with are own money and not wait for these politicians to do it for us. I think revolution is very much necessary right now for us in America we need to come to gather and figure out a plan soon because sooner or later regardless of who's in the white house. I don't know if it going to take another Rodney King beating or a police shooting but something going to have to happen for us to figure out we need to look out for our self's and communities.

Finally plug your music all artist do
Cop the album!!!!!