New Restaurant Bears Hitler's Name

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 11, 2002

Customers leave after visiting 'Hitler's Cross' a restaurant at Kharghar, New Bombay, about 50 kilometers (30 miles) north of Bombay, India, Wednesday, Aug. 23, 2006. Hitler's Cross, a four-day old restaurant has riled the small Jewish community in India's financial capital, but its owner has no plans to make amends. (AP Photo/Gautam Singh)

New Restaurant Bears Hitler's Name
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 9:51 AM EDT
The Associated Press
By AIJAZ ANSARI

BOMBAY, India (AP) — When Hitler's Cross restaurant opened four days ago in a Bombay suburb, local politicians and movie industry types were on hand to celebrate beneath the posters of the Nazi leader and swastikas.

The owner insisted then — and still does — that the name and theme of his new eatery is only meant to attract attention, even if it has outraged Bombay's Jewish community.

"It's really made people very upset that a person responsible for the massacre of 6 million Jews can be glorified," Elijah Jacob, one of the community's leaders, told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

But owner Puneet Sablok has refused to back down, and apart from Bombay's 4,500 Jews, there's been little controversy in India, where Holocaust awareness is limited, Hitler is regarded as just another historical figure and swastikas are an ancient Hindu symbol, displayed all over to bring luck. There are just 5,500 Jews in all of India.

"It's just to attract people. There is no intention to hurt anyone," said Sablok about his spacious restaurant, which serves pastries, pizza and salad in Navi Mumbai, a northern suburb of Bombay, which is also known as Mumbai.

Those objecting to the restaurant plan to ask the local government to force a name change, said Daniel Zonshine, Israel's consul general in Bombay.

"Instead of Hitler's name being an example of extreme evil, this is like giving legitimacy to Hitler. It's not right to advertise his name in public," Zonshine said.

But while India is ordinarily sensitive to causing religious offense — recently taking action to bar "The Da Vinci Code" movie and cartoon drawings of the prophet Muhammad — at least one local leader said the name Hitler didn't bother him.

"People are unnecessarily making this into an issue," said Sudhir Jadhav, a local ruling party leader. "We have no plans to protest outside the restaurant or ask him to change the name."

Diners were also quite happy eating in Hitler's Cross.

"Hitler was a bad man, but what's wrong with having food here?" said Ashwini Phadnis, 22, a microbiology student as she tucked away a piece of chocolate cake.

Engineering student Anand Dhillon sat with friends, sipping soft drinks. "I think the name is quite interesting. Tomorrow if someone keeps a name like Saddam Mutton Shop or George Bush Footwear, there's nothing wrong with that, is there?" he shrugged.

WXS STOMP3R

SENIOR GANG MEMBER
Feb 27, 2006
I GUESS AS LONG AS NO ONE IS GOOSE STEPPING WHEN THEY WALK OUT THE JOINT. WHAT CAN PEOPLE SAY? BY THE WAY I WAS WATCHING A KUNG-FU MOVIE THE OTHER DAY AND "THE MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE" HAD A SWASTIKA ON HIS KUNG-FU OUTFIT. I DIDNT KNOW THE SWASTIKA WAS SO WIDELY USED IN OTHER CULTURES.

Aug 7, 2006
I GUESS AS LONG AS NO ONE IS GOOSE STEPPING WHEN THEY WALK OUT THE JOINT. WHAT CAN PEOPLE SAY? BY THE WAY I WAS WATCHING A KUNG-FU MOVIE THE OTHER DAY AND "THE MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE" HAD A SWASTIKA ON HIS KUNG-FU OUTFIT. I DIDNT KNOW THE SWASTIKA WAS SO WIDELY USED IN OTHER CULTURES
^^I THINK THAT ONE MIGHT BE A LITTLE DIFFERENT..WHEN ONE OF THE BARS OF THAT CROSS IS FACING THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION ITS SUPPOSED TO MEAN SOMETHING ELSE.

Mar 26, 2006
he should be allowed to call the shop anything he wants, unless it's abusive like "Fuck palace" or "cunt lickin' good" ect..

but HITLER should not be an offensive word, like BUSH or SHARON or KHAN ect..

they should keep it up to piss off the whinging jews, let them know in that part of the world they have no control.

WXS STOMP3R

SENIOR GANG MEMBER
Feb 27, 2006
I CHECKED OUT THAT LINK. DAMN THE SWASTIKA WAS IN ALMOST EVERY CULTURE. THE NAZI'S MADE EVERYONE DROP THAT SHIT LIKE A NICKEL BAG WHORE.

May 1, 2003
WXS STOMP3R said:
I GUESS AS LONG AS NO ONE IS GOOSE STEPPING WHEN THEY WALK OUT THE JOINT. WHAT CAN PEOPLE SAY? BY THE WAY I WAS WATCHING A KUNG-FU MOVIE THE OTHER DAY AND "THE MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE" HAD A SWASTIKA ON HIS KUNG-FU OUTFIT. I DIDNT KNOW THE SWASTIKA WAS SO WIDELY USED IN OTHER CULTURES.
Man that flick so OG wit it. I could never find anyone else who seen it.

May 27, 2002
www.google.com
Syko Sniper said:
he should be allowed to call the shop anything he wants, unless it's abusive like "Fuck palace" or "cunt lickin' good" ect..

but HITLER should not be an offensive word, like BUSH or SHARON or KHAN ect..

they should keep it up to piss off the whinging jews, let them know in that part of the world they have no control.
So you wouldn't mind eating at a restaurant called "Slavery Rocks" or "Down with Blacks" after all black is just another color like yellow, red, blue, and green right?

WXS STOMP3R

SENIOR GANG MEMBER
Feb 27, 2006
Doberman said:
Man that flick so OG wit it. I could never find anyone else who seen it.
YEAH THAT SHITS DOPE, I LIKE WHEN THAT FOOL AT THE END KICKS HIM SO HARD HE FLY'S THRU THE ROOF THEN ROLLS ALL THE WAY OFF AND FALLS IN A COFFIN. MAN THEY DONT MAKE MARTIAL ARTS MOVIES LIKE THAT NO MORE.