New Jay Rock Interview (Pt. 2 By BallerStatus)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 8, 2008
On The Road With Jay Rock (Pt. 2): His Start, Strange Music & Stereotypes
By Niki Gatewood (@THENikiG), Published 12/10/2010

During his time on Tech N9ne's "Independent Grind Tour," BallerStatus.com caught up with Jay Rock in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In this exclusive interview, the emerging MC talks about the past, the present, and the future. Earlier this week, you read part one, where we walked you through a typical day with the rapper in his neighborhood, and now read on for the conclusion of our sitdown with Jay Rock...

BallerStatus.com: What are some of the welcomed differences you've encountered going from a major label to an indie one?

Jay Rock: It's always something with the major labels. Say you have an album coming up, but that's always subject to change, you feel me? But, if you're going independent you can make your own release [dates]. I can say, "Tomorrow I want my album to come out," and it's going to come out. At an independent you do what you want to do, instead of having to wait for them to tell you what to do. This is my music, this is my heart, blood, sweat and tears, so, how are you trying to tell me how to run what I got?

BallerStatus.com: Do you enjoy the greater responsibility that you have at Strange?

Jay Rock: Yes! I appreciate everything. It's been all love. I appreciate my responsibility, because right off the bat, I'm on tour right now. I never thought I'd be on tour again -- and it happened that fast. I'm on tour right now connecting with my fans. I'm meeting new people and gaining new fans. Just being out there with them, that's a wonderful feeling. From hitting the stage and hearing them tell you, "Man, I love your music. You rocked it. Man, you got some good music!" Basically, I think that's what brought us together, anyway. Deep down inside my heart, I feel that the music is what brought us together, straight up.

BallerStatus.com: In terms of your debut, Follow Me Home, how important is it to get the lyrics right, get the production right, get the sequencing right, and get the mastering right, to create that cohesive package that will effectively represent yourself?

Jay Rock: That is very important; quality is everything. Good quality sounding music is everything! Everything from the beats, the lyrics -- it gotta be right. It got to be right before I release anything. I want it to be like a movie. Like I said, this is my life right here. This is what I'm giving to the people; it's my life. I'm showing everybody a walk-through of my life, the trials and tribulations of my life, and just growing up in the ghetto. I'm quite sure everybody in the world is going to feel it. Trust and believe that. I really believe that 112%, that when you hear this album people are going to love it. Straight up.

BallerStatus.com: In your opinion, should there be requirement to be an MC or a rapper? Has gaining entrance into hip-hop come to easily?

Jay Rock: I mean, yes. Everybody want to rap now.

BallerStatus.com: My mama just got a deal.

Jay Rock: (laughs) my uncle did too. But nah, for real though, everybody want to be a rapper now. It's just so easy and the internet is so big right now. I saw some stuff on the Internet just the other day, dude wanted to be a rapper. He just made his own video holding his camera himself. He was just rapping. It was sounding bad, but he just thought he had it. A lot of people want to be a rapper, but a lot of people got to realize it takes a lot. You got to have the right lyrics, there's the appearance, your show and stage presence, all that matters. You got to have the right team behind you for it to work. Straight up.

BallerStatus.com: As an MC, do you feel as though you possess the creative quality to show that the idea of artistry is still alive?

Jay Rock: Well, yeah, of course!

BallerStatus.com: As a black man, how are you using hip-hop to help dispel or contradict misconstrued ideas of the black man's role in our society?

Jay Rock: What do you mean by that? That's a real technical question, to me.

BallerStatus.com: Sometimes folks who are outside of our culture will use stereotypical images they get from the media, say from watching videos, or being scared by the local news. Using that disinformation they formulate the role of the black man. They focus on the negative and that perspective becomes their reality. With you using hip-hop as your muse, are you able to show a different side of the black man that some folks would not have access to, if not for your music?

Jay Rock: Yes, of course! It's like I never judge a book by its cover. You can never really judge someone until you get to know that person. That's what I say. I really can't speak for other people like that, but I can speak for myself and I'm a man before anything. That's how I carry myself. I don't never disrespect nobody unless you disrespect me. That's how I was brought up, you feel me? That's the way it's going to be.

BallerStatus.com: (laughs) Now, I'm going to try to be professional with this question. "Army All By Myself" boasts a verse from Tupac. Did the track live up to your expectations? Nipsey is raw, you're talented, but, were y'all ready to be with 'Pac?

Jay Rock: I mean, yeah! When I first heard that track, I was like "This is a crazy track." When I heard his sample is when I knew I had to do it. That's been my dream to try to do a song with 'Pac, you know what I'm saying? To do a track with his voice on there, I was thinking, "Man, I gotta do it." I felt like I had to go hard with it. I had to get on there and just speak from the heart. So, me personally, I think it did live up the expectations. Straight up.

BallerStatus.com: Do you think you were on par with 'Pac, or did he rip you?

Jay Rock: Who, 'Pac? You know 'Pac did his thing. Man, I ain't even gonna lie. (laughs) I ain't even gonna lie about that. 'Pac did his thing. 'Pac was doing 'Pac, and Jay Rock was doing Jay Rock.

BallerStatus.com: I respect you, and I respect Nipsey for even getting on a track with Tupac, but I was like, "No playing, y'all better come with it."

Jay Rock: I had to come with it, though. Nipsey, he did his thing, too. Like I said, we just all did us. We weren't trying to be 'Pac or anything like that. We just was doing us. You know, Nip was doing Nipsey, Jay Rock was doing Jay Rock, and 'Pac was doing 'Pac, like he always is. Straight up!

BallerStatus.com: Do you have a definitive release date for Follow Me Home?

Jay Rock: We're looking at February or March of next year. Follow Me Home is coming! I know a lot of my fans are like, "When is it coming? We need that album!" February, or March, man, just be on the lookout. Follow Me Home, it's coming, it's coming, it's coming! (chuckles)

BallerStatus.com: To your loyal supporters who've been there since day one, what do you want to say to them?

Jay Rock: Since day one, man, I appreciate the support. I swear to God, on my mama, I appreciate y'all. I love y'all. All my fans out there who have been supporting me, [and] Top Dawg Entertainment, since day one, I love you, man! Straight up, don't let nobody tell y'all no different.

Follow Jay Rock on Twitter @JayRock, and make sure to download his latest release: a new mixtape titled "Black Friday," boasting 13 new tracks. Download it now, via TopDawgMusic.com.

SOURCE: http://www.ballerstatus.com/2010/12...ock-pt-2-his-start-strange-music-stereotypes/