Negotiating The Selling Price With a car sales person.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 21, 2003
I was wondering if any of you would like to share their experiences when they had to deal with a car sales representative in a business level. negotiating a price on a used car. i was looking at this honda civic 05. 22 miles black good interior cd player everything. the interest was high forgot how much. 17,000 was the sellin priced knocked it down to 13, and some. but they wanted 300 monthly i wanted them to lower to 235 they didn't after a whole bunch of back and forth stuff. i walked away afterwards. i was just thinkin if you guys had any experiences with such situations. and any secrets??? experiences you had before buyin a car. i had a few things up my sleeve but they didn't seem to work this time.

Dec 23, 2005
yeah mannn they like to do tricky shyt got me for $350 a month after we negociated $300 a month. but most of the extra $50 is just intrest since i had no credit i had like %9 intrest

Apr 7, 2005
lyagraphics.weebly.com
I used to be a car salesman.And everyone gets bent over its just if your a grinder(tight ass) the salesman might use lube.If your looking for a car hit up my Uncle hes a manager at Antioch Dodge his name is George hit him up and say Aaron sent you.

Apr 25, 2002
my dad been in the car buiness since the 80s ,if imma buy a car from a dealer or some body off the street i bring him . i thought about sellin cars for a while cuz my dad made alot of money in the 80s and early 90s but he said it aint like it used to be

Jan 7, 2004
something that works pretty good is take a REAL GOOD LOOK at the car 9 out of 10 times you can find something wrong with a brand new car even if its a small one like paint errors drips of some sort if you can find something thats a huge factor to knock down the price.
Another thing is I talked to some dealerships that try to sell there test drive cars as new cars when they have 20 to 60 or even more miles on them a guy tried to tell me that and I told him the car is used he says well no it was just a test drive car I said yeah many people have drove it and it has miles its no longer new right then he knocked $4000 off and if I actually wanted the car I probaly could have gotten a even better deal and by the way I had this conversation from inside my car I didnt even have to get out of my car to knock the price down.

Sep 23, 2004
i sold cars for a long time if you really wanna not get fucked in the ass its gonna take a little work 1st...85% of cars sold from dealerships are bought on impulse, dont be one of these idiots... go out test drive all the cars you want, and test drive the shit outta them, pick the one you think you would like the best and go home and do some research....... heres a few things that you NEED to take into consideration ....If you are buying from a dealership, BUY FROM A REPUTABLE DEALERSHIP, do not buy from "johnny jackoffs" little used car lot with a fucking mobile home as an office. if its a used car(over 200-600 miles, depending on the state) there is usually 4-8 g's mark-up. New cars, do your research on the net for rebates, because 9/10 times when they are "knocking off" a couple G's they are using the rebates that you were entitled to anyways. Also do your research online for what the dealership pays for the car. They will almost always sell a car for $500-1000 profit(which is totally fair), unless it's a brand new hot model(like a 300c when they first came out) Try to arrange your own financing through your own bank(a credit union is better) FIRST! This will save you a ton in interest. When a dealership offers 0% financing it is for people with "a" tier credit, if you dont know what it is you prolly aint got it. and also most of the time you get an option of either the rebates or the low interest rate. 99.99999% of the time a dealership cannot beat a credit unions rate, if you dont arrange financing first, be sure to get a "3 day option" to get your own financing. DO NOT NEGOTIATE PAYMENT...DO NEGOTIATE PRICE AND INTEREST RATE....the interest rate isnt super negotiable but they wont even attempt to lower it if you dont ask and they will burn you by selling back the interest rate points. the payment will work itself out accordingly. dont be affraid to bring a calculator, salespeople hate it! DO NOT TRADE IN YOUR CAR IF IT IS PAID OFF!!! they will burn you on it. Even if they say "we'll give you 7000$ for your 86 civic with a blown head gasket" Its all a numbers game and they have the advantage. sell it to a private party and you will be a lot better off. The whole back-and-forth game is b.s. When the salesman says something like, "I'm gonna do my best, let me go ask my boss" what he is really doing is telling the desk managers how you are objecting and in turn the desk manager is coaching him/her on how to get more money outta you... do your research and stick to your guns. Now after everything is aggreed on as far as price goes you get to talk to a finance manager, this guy will try and sell you warranties, security packages, gap insurance, and every other fuckin thing to rip you off. i reccomend only getting gap insurance. the new car factory warranties are pretty strong, except dodge/chrysler/jeep, so i wouldnt reccomend buy any extra bullshit warranties, no matter how good they may sound... another thing, dont forget that you have to pay for insurance, get a few quotes on policies before you decide how much you can afford monthly because insurance is fucking expensive! if you think you can afford a $350 a month car payment, dont forget the extra $150 that you will be spending on insurance, cuz now you are paying 500 a month. if you are buying a used car, PLEASE look it up at kbb.com and see how much its really worth before you trust the price that they slapped on it. Remember dealerships get they're used cars at auctions and from trade ins, at a huge discount. if you buy a new car, when they present the car to you and ask you to inspect it to make sure everything is perfect, go over that muthafucka with a fine tooth comb and make them fix every little fucking detail, this inspection should take no less than 15 minutes. All salespeople are fucking liars, they are trained in a psychological process to fuck you out of every penny they can! it's so funny, everyone walks into a dealership think that they know how to buy a car, when in fact 99% of people dont know shit. dont let your ego get in the way this time.
if you do all the shit i just typed you will be an absolute nightmare to a dealership, and you will save a shitload of money

this shit that i just typed will save all you fuckers thousands of dollars, if you wanna give a donation pm me....

I was thinking of putting an add in the paper for being a """car buying consultant, guarateed to save you a ton of money on your automobile purchase""" you think it would work??

oh yeah and...
The only dealership that is somewhat fair is SCION. not that i recommend buying one but they are different, the salespeople are on salary and only make commision on the accesories you add.

if you have any other ?'s feel free to pm me

Dec 4, 2005
ESCOBAR said:
I was thinking of putting an add in the paper for being a """car buying consultant, guarateed to save you a ton of money on your automobile purchase""" you think it would work??
Yeah i think that just might work. You appear to have a lot of helpful info. and most people don't know shit about buying cars myself included.

Governor Pimp Juice

Sicc OG / Host of The Yeah, So? Podcast
Feb 16, 2006
The Wild West
www.youtube.com
I used to sell cars for Lincoln. Always ask to see the invoice, and NEVER buy on impulse. You can call around & sometimes get a better price over the phone before you step foot on a lot. Just remember, car salesmen are PAID not to take no for an answer, so you have to be firm in all areas of the sale, of you WILL get ran through.

Ry

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • Ry

Ry

ESCOBAR said:
i sold cars for a long time if you really wanna not get fucked in the ass its gonna take a little work 1st...85% of cars sold from dealerships are bought on impulse, dont be one of these idiots... go out test drive all the cars you want, and test drive the shit outta them, pick the one you think you would like the best and go home and do some research....... heres a few things that you NEED to take into consideration ....If you are buying from a dealership, BUY FROM A REPUTABLE DEALERSHIP, do not buy from "johnny jackoffs" little used car lot with a fucking mobile home as an office. if its a used car(over 200-600 miles, depending on the state) there is usually 4-8 g's mark-up. New cars, do your research on the net for rebates, because 9/10 times when they are "knocking off" a couple G's they are using the rebates that you were entitled to anyways. Also do your research online for what the dealership pays for the car. They will almost always sell a car for $500-1000 profit(which is totally fair), unless it's a brand new hot model(like a 300c when they first came out) Try to arrange your own financing through your own bank(a credit union is better) FIRST! This will save you a ton in interest. When a dealership offers 0% financing it is for people with "a" tier credit, if you dont know what it is you prolly aint got it. and also most of the time you get an option of either the rebates or the low interest rate. 99.99999% of the time a dealership cannot beat a credit unions rate, if you dont arrange financing first, be sure to get a "3 day option" to get your own financing. DO NOT NEGOTIATE PAYMENT...DO NEGOTIATE PRICE AND INTEREST RATE....the interest rate isnt super negotiable but they wont even attempt to lower it if you dont ask and they will burn you by selling back the interest rate points. the payment will work itself out accordingly. dont be affraid to bring a calculator, salespeople hate it! DO NOT TRADE IN YOUR CAR IF IT IS PAID OFF!!! they will burn you on it. Even if they say "we'll give you 7000$ for your 86 civic with a blown head gasket" Its all a numbers game and they have the advantage. sell it to a private party and you will be a lot better off. The whole back-and-forth game is b.s. When the salesman says something like, "I'm gonna do my best, let me go ask my boss" what he is really doing is telling the desk managers how you are objecting and in turn the desk manager is coaching him/her on how to get more money outta you... do your research and stick to your guns. Now after everything is aggreed on as far as price goes you get to talk to a finance manager, this guy will try and sell you warranties, security packages, gap insurance, and every other fuckin thing to rip you off. i reccomend only getting gap insurance. the new car factory warranties are pretty strong, except dodge/chrysler/jeep, so i wouldnt reccomend buy any extra bullshit warranties, no matter how good they may sound... another thing, dont forget that you have to pay for insurance, get a few quotes on policies before you decide how much you can afford monthly because insurance is fucking expensive! if you think you can afford a $350 a month car payment, dont forget the extra $150 that you will be spending on insurance, cuz now you are paying 500 a month. if you are buying a used car, PLEASE look it up at kbb.com and see how much its really worth before you trust the price that they slapped on it. Remember dealerships get they're used cars at auctions and from trade ins, at a huge discount. if you buy a new car, when they present the car to you and ask you to inspect it to make sure everything is perfect, go over that muthafucka with a fine tooth comb and make them fix every little fucking detail, this inspection should take no less than 15 minutes. All salespeople are fucking liars, they are trained in a psychological process to fuck you out of every penny they can! it's so funny, everyone walks into a dealership think that they know how to buy a car, when in fact 99% of people dont know shit. dont let your ego get in the way this time.
if you do all the shit i just typed you will be an absolute nightmare to a dealership, and you will save a shitload of money

this shit that i just typed will save all you fuckers thousands of dollars, if you wanna give a donation pm me....

oh yeah and...
The only dealership that is somewhat fair is SCION. not that i recommend buying one but they are different, the salespeople are on salary and only make commision on the accesories you add.

if you have any other ?'s feel free to pm me

Thats really good advice. What are your thoughts on dealerships that have no haggle pricing? I bought my 4-Runner from a Toyota dealership, and they wouldnt adjust the price at all. I had a good idea of the market when I bought it because I really research a vehicle before I buy, so I know the price was comparable to what else was out there. I did knock the interest rate down though...