Need some info

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

BossDogg

Narcotic... Strange...
Apr 26, 2006
Yo, anyone here have experience with akai mpd24...Like is it any good and worth to buy? As im thinkin to buy one, Been reading very good reviews and shit, but just want to know lil more.

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
I'm kind of confused why people who use software want these type of controllers. I have a mpc3000 and I love it but not because of the pads. The bads are cool but I like the mpc sequencer, its convertors that help make the samples sound good. These controllers seem like a waste, Why waste money just on some pads and some functions assigned to control midi data. I think the controllers with knobs and faders are more useful to adjust parameters in soft synths etc....I see mpc 2000 go for about $500, I bet what you are looking at is over $200...damn a few more hundred and you are in the game.

Apr 26, 2006
Yeah, I think that $hit is kind of unnecessary. I mean, just get a midi keyboard if you don't have one. Heck, all the M-Audio Axiom line of keyboard controllers have 8 Pads built-in and their pretty good, along with Sliders, Knobs & buttons if you get the 49+Key versions. I have the Axiom 49 and I don't even use the Pads to tell you the truth. I just get lazy to assign them. I just use the keys to play the drums or manually "paint" my drum samples in the pianoroll of FL, whichever I feel is faster or easier. Even 8 pads is good enough IMO. 16 is only neccessary with the MPC because of how you can slice the samples across the pads at different pitches.

Like 50Cal was saying, I think those pads are mainly unnecessary if your using them with the MPC because of it's sequencer and all the manipulations you can do with it. The pads just add that hands on experience. Now that I think about it, AKAI could have probably used piano keys instead of pads and make it more like a Workstation type of module, but I guess they chose to go with pads since it's unique, innovative, the pads represent more of a drummer feel (congos) and saves a lot of space instead of using a long horizontal piano layout. I mean their just rubber pads, Keys are velocity sensitive as well.

Apr 25, 2002
Maybe this dude just likes using pads. Nothing wrong with that at all! I'll suggest the same thing I always do, go down to your local Guitar Center or other music store and try it out!

Apr 26, 2006
Maybe this dude just likes using pads. Nothing wrong with that at all! I'll suggest the same thing I always do, go down to your local Guitar Center or other music store and try it out!
Yeah, you could be right. Maybe he's comfortable using Pads, ain't nothing wrong with that at all, their wide and easy to bang on. But this controller just doesn't seem the same as a real MPC, seems a bit tacky.

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
Guitar Center definitely (99.9%) has them hooked up, or else no one would want to buy them right? I have the Korg Kontrolpad, it's fun, like, no different from making keyboard drum sequences, no difference at all, maybe a better velocity sensitivity, but, i mean, if you don't learn how to efficiently use it, you'll just waste your money. So, bottom line, try it out.