need some help

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 11, 2004
does anyone know how to convert sample format of "MPEG layer 3" into something useable? they wont read in anything and they wont convert using chicken translator and im stuck, they dont open in sound forge either. any help is appreciated.

Mar 11, 2004
i came up with the mp3 factor with all my searches but it isnt a .mp3 file, its a .WAV file, i know how to convert formats. like i said its a .WAV but when you go into the properties and the advanced it says mpeg layer 3. i dont know, its a whole dvd worth of good samples but i they must be corrupt or something.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
On my internet computer I use VLC to play ALL files, mp3,mpeg1,2,4, wav,aif etc etc etc.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Another reason you MIGHT not be able to open the files is because the disk is an ISO. If so you'll have to burn the image again but thats a shot in the dark. That might not be your problem.

Anyway try to open it with VLC. If that doesnt work try to open the files in ACID.

Mar 11, 2004
I sure havent!!!! i completely spaced. ill try that, i can play them in windows media player but when i try to import them into anything like battery, acid, sound forge or any music type program it doesnt read them, and i have placed many mp3's in there for other things. im thinking the files must be corrupt or something, but last night i went through the whole dvd and resampled everything i liked into .wav that actually worked, needless to say it was a long night lol.

mo-x

Sicc OG
May 4, 2002
www.unknownterritoryrecords.com
BaneTheTerrible said:
I sure havent!!!! i completely spaced. ill try that, i can play them in windows media player but when i try to import them into anything like battery, acid, sound forge or any music type program it doesnt read them
somewhere along the line some idiot named the file extensions of these mp3 files wrong calling them .wav files instead of .mp3 files... and the makers of battery, acid, sound forge, are all weak ass computer programmers and forgot that they were taught in computer science 101 to ignore extensions. in determing the file type these programs are relying on the extension instead of the header inside the file. they see .wav, pass it on to a .wav routine which fucks up because the header doesn't match that of a wave file. instead of iterating through all the file type handlers until a suitable routine is found (like how media player does it) they just bow out and expect you to change the extension to .mp3... So now you've got hella samples that are .mp3's and nothing will play them except media player. Have fun renaming all of that. If you would like I can write you a program to rename all the file extensions.

mo-x

Sicc OG
May 4, 2002
http://s28.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0ZLP4ATXVAFNB1BBD5GVOJFZ0X

Well I got bored so I wrote a utility that will rename all the file extensions in a directory from one thing to another. So download that utility, slap that bitch on your desktop... Take all those files/directories off the CD/DVD/WHATEVER and put them in a folder on your desktop. Run the utility, set the from/to extensions and hit the rename button select the folder you just put all them files/directories into and let it do its thang.

mo-x

Sicc OG
May 4, 2002
^ it's nothin bane, you my brother from another mother!!! lol, good lookin out, both of you... oh yeah in case you're wondering how to close the program since I forgot to add menu support and standard minimize/maximize/close buttons, just press ALT+F4 and it will close... my bad!