Nas: 'I Think Kanye West Saved Rap'

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 11, 2006
Nas is the rapper who said Hip Hop Is Dead a couple years back, but according to him, someone has saved it.

In a recent interview with Complex, the Queensbridge rapper said he thinks Kanye West has saved the genre.

"I think Kanye West saved rap. I think Lil Wayne is showing there is a future for all kinds of artists to continue doing this. You know, I love it," Nas said.

So if the genre is no longer dead, who still gets Nas excited when he hears them? Kanye, Outkast, and Eminem.

He later touched on the issue with his the controversial title he chose for his upcoming album -- which was later changed from Nigger to Untitled -- and said if had had it to do over, he wouldn't.

"I think the Hip Hop Is Dead and the Nigger album, they were for that time. ... People may think it's a controversial title, but it's really what I'm feeling," he told the mag. "I'm not going to make the title less controversial because it's going to offend people."

The interview took place during a Kanye-esque photoshoot for the magazine, and while it's not usually Nas' style, he had fun with it.

"That's not how I dress, but for a magazine spread, it's out there to be fun," explained Nas. "... I always do what I do, so I just wanted to change it up a little bit. Get people talking shit, so it's cool."

Nas' upcoming untitled album hits stores July 15.

SOURCE:
http://www.ballerstatus.com/article/news/2008/07/5061/

Jun 4, 2004
If hip hop should die before I wake
I'll put an extended clip inside of my AK
Roll to every station, murder the DJ
Roll to every station, murder the DJ

How could Kanye save it when the Record Labels and Radio DJ's are still killing it......

"Paying to play records on radio -- payola -- seems as old as the recording industry itself, but this time it's not low-level promoters under investigation; it's the record companies and the conglomerates that own thousands of the nation's radio stations." - ABC News

The Payola Education Guide