My THOUGHTS: Self-Reflection...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 6, 2006
Let's all take a moment to reflect on the current handicapped (no offense) status of the Northwess. Okay, you there? Now think about what the Northwess is doing nationally. Come up with somethin other than Starbucks and Microsoft?

Aiight, now let me ask you this: WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO PROMOTE THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE REGION???

I was thinkin about this. I know Ive touched on it briefly in a previous post but its somethin to think about. Whether just supporting other Northwess artist or promotin Northwess music OUT of the region. Hell, maybe you even called Kube 93 and requested a Northwess artists song. What part can you say that you played when we're out of the recession?

I'll return with my own answer...

Apr 9, 2006
i havent dont shit..lol. I never knew it was so many MCs in the Ndub for real, for real. Man i never seen an area that didnt support their own local artists. I dont call Kube cause they are bama. i wonder if 104.5 would play more local rappers. i stream it on my computer. They are kind of underground.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
I think most people on here besides some of the actual artists and label runners or promoters or whatever haven't really done anything on that big of scale where it's actually worth mentioning. I mean, sure I own a lot of NW cd's and I support artists who make good sounding music. Sure I've introduced some people in my area to artists who reside in Seattle and surrounding areas. But nothing worth mentioning. I don't have the time or effort to spend promoting someone else, that's not my business, that's not my goal. And that's just the truth. If you are affiliated with me and we are family, I'll support you, I'll carry you on my back if I have to. But you have to do your part too. But if your just another artist in the same position as myself, or worse or better, there's not much I can do for you that you can't do for yourself. I'm not a promoter, manager or whatever. I'm just an artist myself trying my best to continue to make good quality music and get recognised. I'm 19 so I'm just getting started with this.

So if there will be a day when I promote the advancement of the Northwest and Northwest Hiphop like in a real big way, it will be with my own music and my own movement.

Peace.

Apr 6, 2006
Thats somethin that I didnt want to happen tho, Samos. I wanted people to take their own personal inventory and see what they've done. I cant say what the next man or woman is doing, so it makes a staple. And thats not good. Cause its basically where the fingers start pointing and nobody's doin the checks and balances for themselves.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
When you say nationally your talking about who is running the frontline of Northwest Hiphop on a scale so large that mother fuckers in Memphis be talking about it? Or someone down in Detroit be talking? Or someone over in Europe? I ask people around here if they know about Cool Nutz or Jus Family and they look at me like who? And those are established hard working ass artists behind that label. So it's very clear or apparent that this region hasn't yet reached that level of recognition. And to be honest with you this region really isn't ready for that right now. It's still young. The serious artists here that are really doing something, could be doing so much more to expose themselves. We don't have a movement right now that's big enough. It takes a piece of contribution from everybody to blow an area up. A big piece. When I talk about my own movement and my own music, I'm talking about my contribution. That's how the South blew up, it takes a long time and a lot of quality contribution on global scales with big sales.

But hey that's the best answer your going to get from me.

Apr 6, 2006
Mr. Samos said:
When you say nationally your talking about who is running the frontline of Northwest Hiphop on a scale so large that mother fuckers in Memphis be talking about it? Or someone down in Detroit be talking? Or someone over in Europe? I ask people around here if they know about Cool Nutz or Jus Family and they look at me like who? And those are established hard working ass artists behind that label. So it's very clear or apparent that this region hasn't yet reached that level of recognition. And to be honest with you this region really isn't ready for that right now. It's still young. The serious artists here that are really doing something, could be doing so much more to expose themselves. We don't have a movement right now that's big enough. It takes a piece of contribution from everybody to blow an area up. A big piece. When I talk about my own movement and my own music, I'm talking about my contribution. That's how the South blew up, it takes a long time and a lot of quality contribution on global scales with big sales.

But hey that's the best answer your going to get from me.

Probly one of the best answer to get from anybody, duke. Real talk.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
Any time I have a chance to say something, or promote NW rap and the artists I listen to, I take that opportunity. I burn people cd's sometimes so they will go play them at parties and shit...I don't promote on a national level, but for a "fan" of NW music I do a lot more than some of the so called "promoters" do...The only label I really put effort towards is Gettin Greedy..

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
It's really sad when you see artists and labels not getting the recognition they diserve. But at the same time I hope discussions like this and the realization of the situation motivates those artists or labels to push harder, instead of folding or slowing down or becoming less motivated or less in touch with their original goals or business plans.

Local love and support is essential, this is stating the obvious. And lack of support is sad, you know. It's like a lot of people don't have faith in the local scene. This could have a lot to do with the fact that it is very unknown outside of it's boundary. It seems small. Almost foreign outside of the region. So, not everybody wants to embrace that. But say it blows up, then people will want to embrace it, it will force fans and hiphop heads to make a decision. Just like how people embraced the Southern movement, or the hyphy movement in the Bay. It takes growth and it takes a lot of time, effort and money.

If you own a record label and your not growing everyday then you need to change your career direction or work harder. Your not going to have a chance to gain that kind of exposure if your not growing and if your not in demand.

If your not seeing growth what do you think everybody else is seeing? You can't release album after album with around the same sales and the same marketing techniques and the same investments. You won't grow, you'll be an established local artist and that's all. You might as well retire after your debut album.

I'm just rambling now, I'll stop before I get too ahead of myself.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
But hey atleast we know that we have the talent here and we have the music. Some of the best hiphop music I've ever heard has come from here, some of the best producers, so that's something to be real proud of right now. We have a lot of artists who are passionate about making quality sound.

We just need that extra push to establish more of these great things.

Premo

Face Scrunched Lookn Rude
Aug 1, 2004
NASWIPP. A subdivision of IKSRTFO
man i was just out there last summer and the scene is flourishing

theres hella spots and shows all week every week

major heat out the northwest u just gotta kno where to look

things are on the uprise imo

seattle and san diego are next up imo

i love the scene up there

and dont forget to tune in to 90.3 kexp every sunday at 6-8 street sounds is still on the air right

support dat

go to all the club nights and shows u wont find a shortage of fresh artist

yea theres hella garbage rappers too but dont let it fool u