My thoughts on the Pitch's 2010 rap/hip hop award nominees...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 19, 2008
www.demencha.com
B.O.A. = BUCKS OVER AWARDS
an excerpt from demencha.com

"Regarding the recently announced 2010 Pitch Music Awards nominees, I talked with a hip hop friend of mine, PL, on the phone a couple of days ago and he kind of lit a fire under me to voice what I think about the the rap/hip hop nominees. Don’t get me wrong, the Pitch Awards are a lot of fun to go to but I don’t really understand how a lot of people get caught up in accolades. On one hand, artists’ concerns are understandable because we really don’t have our own MTV Awards (or any awards show who will pay much attention to Kansas City artists), or anything of the sort and the Pitch has one of the deepest voices on music specifically, in the city.

But on the other hand, I’m screaming “B.O.A.” right now. I think Ubiquitous of Ces Cru summed it up best when I interviewed him in the fall of 2008 for Demencha Magazine when he said that if he could make what a plummer makes off his rap career, then he would be good. To me, that sounds like the perfect mix of reality and aspiration. Aware of the mountain you have to climb, but also being hopeful and focused.

In an interview I conducted this past winter with DJ Shad, he said, “There’s some Hollywood-ass DJs out there.” However, I think that this idea relates seamlessly with bands/rappers/etc. as well. Most want to be recognized for their art, but some take it a little too seriously. This Rich The Factor influenced, “B.O.A.” acronym was obvsiously drawn from a record he dropped last summer, Bucks Over Fame. I’d probably be the last person in this city to speak for Rich The Factor, but I do know that if any of my friends were to spot Rich The Factor out and about, they should probably make a wish or something. The weird thing about him is that he isn’t necessarily the most visible person in Kansas City’s music scene, but holds a shit ton of clout, sells a lot of CDs…and is nominated for a Pitch award this year for best “rap” artist.

This brings me to the odd move on the Pitch’s part this year to include a “rap” category. In years passed, there’s only been a “hip hop” category. For 2010, this new “rap” ballot is lined up with a bunch of guys who have a bit more street cred than the dudes listed..."

Click HERE to read more.

Oct 2, 2006
Who the hell made these ballots?

What a joke

Rap
Skiem Hiem
Rich the Factor
Black Walt
Donta Slusha
Young Devi
Rondoe

Hip-Hop