My Review of Turf Talk - Street Novelist

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
www.2siccaudio.com
Turf Talk - Street Novelist

1) "Bitch I'm Platinum"
Produced by: Super Dave West
An alright beat by Super Dave West to start the album off with, not really feeling some of the bleeps he put in the background. Turf Talk comes off ok on the mic, he doesn't have that great of a voice, but he does present pretty much the same kind of flow you would expect to hear on the radio. An alright song to start the album with.

2) "It's ah Slumper" ft. E-40, Stress of the Federation
Produced by: Rick Rock
The single to the album is one of the best songs on the album. Rick Rock lays down a tight ass beat to get things started. Turf Talk has the first verse and spits a coo one. E-40 comes next and spits the best verse of the three. Turf Talk has the last verse as Stress from the Federation collabs with 40 to handle the hook nicely. A tight song overall, probably the best or one of the best songs on the album, definately one to make the trunk rattle.

3) "24 Feelin' Way C.G." ft. E-40, Goldie of The Federation
Produced by: Chuck Taylor
More of a laid back feel to this track. A coo beat by Chuck T to start it with. Turf Talk hits the mic first for a solid flow, I like his flow here with that slower pace to it. Turf Talk holds it down though, I like this slower paced flow from him. Both 40 and Goldie are only in the background vocals on the hook, so this is more of a solo track. A coo song overall, I like it.

4) "Don't do It" ft. Droop-E, B-Slimm of the Kabinet
Not feeling this beat from Rick Rock as much as the first one, but it sounds good during the chorus. Turf Talk comes with a solid spit, but takes second as Droop-E and B-Slimm rip the mic on their verses. A solid song, although I like it better on the hook because the beat sounds a little better during that part of the song.

5) "Hubba Rock" ft. San Quinn, Mac Dre
Produced by: Sean Dre
Everything is tight on this song, except for E-40 voice saying hubba rock over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. San Quinn and Mac Dre make for a couple good features and Turf Talk holds his own on the mic. I just wish they would have taken out 40's voice it gets really annoying midway through the song. Besides that it's a tight song though, I'm feeling it.

6) "Sav Out" ft. Ya Boy, Bailey of Fully Loaded
Produced by: Droop-E
Droop-E laces 'em up with a tight ass beat. You hear E-40's voice in the background as Turf hits the mic for a solid first verse. I like the hook to this song a lot, another song that is destined for the radio. Ya Boy is second on the mic and spits a solid flow. Bailey from Fully Loaded and Done Deal is on the third verse and rips a solid flow. A tight song overall, I'm feeling it.

7) "Celebrate" ft. E-40, Rankin Scroo, Mike Marshall
A slower paced beat this time by Droop-E, more of a laid back and reflect sound to it. Mike Marshall comes on the hook with his R&B singing. E-40 starts it off with the first verse, a coo verse overall. Turf is next, but this slower beat doesn't fit his style very well. Rankin Scroo comes next with his reggea style, don't really see how he fits into this song, but oh well. It's a coo song if you like more R&B music, not really into personally, but it's alright.

8) "Club House"
Produced by: Super Dave West
An alright beat done by Super Dave West. Turf comes ok, talking about hitting a club. Talking about girls, clothes and the club scene. Not really diggin this one too much. The hook is probably the best part of the song. One of the weaker songs on the album.

9) "The Soil" ft. E-40
This is one of my favorite tracks right here. Rick Rock laces 'em up with a tight ass beat and both Turf and 40 rip it up on the mic. Another song that I'm sure you'll be hearing on the radio, it has that radio sound to it. Both a mainstream sounding song and a hard gangsta type of song talking about grinding on the soil. A tight song overall, I'm feeling it to the fullest.

10) "Do the Robot" ft. Young Mugzi, Kaveo of the Mossie
A coo beat by Droop-E to get this one started, a little different sound to it. E-40 handles the vocals on the chorus. Turf hits the mic first for a solid verse. Young Mugzi is next with a tight flow. Kaveo spits a solid flow too. Another good song right here, another song that could be easily adapted to radio play.

11) "Bundle Bush"
Produced by: Stereo Types
The beat for this song is coo, done by Stereo Types. Turf Talk comes solid on the mic, talking about pushing some dope. A little different type of track right here, definately not a song that you would hear on the radio. I'm feeling it, more of a gangsta type of song.

12) "Head Bust Shit" ft. E-40, Goldie of the Federation
Produced by: Daku Knox Productions
Goldie from the Federation starts this track off with a hard verse. A coo beat plays in the background done by Daku Knox Productions, I like the sound of it, a little darker feel to it. Turf is on the second verse and spits an alright verse. 40 Wata finishes off the song with a solid verse. Really I'm feeling Goldie the most of the three verses. Still a solid song overall, more of that gangsta sound to this track.

13) "Love" ft. Levitti, Passion
Produced by: Jake 1
A slow beat with a piano playing. An R&B song to the fullest. Levitti and Passion do a lot of singing. Turf does some vocals, but I'm not feeling this song at all, not really into that R&B sound like this.

14) "Good Game"
Produced by: Smash
A solid beat by Smash to get this song started. Turf comes hard on the mic with some tight flows. Passion is back to sing a good chorus. I'm feeling this song, this is more of that Bay Area hip-hop I'm used to hearing.

15) "In the Heart of the Ghetto
Another tight beat done by Droop-E for this song. Turf hits the mic first, ripping up a solid verse, spitting some gangsta flows. E-40 has some background vocals on the hook too. Turf finishes off the album with a tight song, I'm feeling it to the fullest.

Overall this was good debut release for Turf Talk. I think some people might be quick to criticize this album and say that he was trying to be too mainstream, but I say that's not true at all. This is definately an album put together to appeal to both mainstream and underground audiences. It has songs that are strait club beats and simple lyrics, while other songs have harder beats, more of a gangsta feel to them with harder lyrics. Turf brings the heat on the mic throughout the album, only one or two songs where I didn't like what he brought to the microphone. The production was no doubt tight from start to finish, both Rick Rock and Droop-E laid down some clean sounding slapers. E-40 made a lot of guest appearances, but there were plenty other heated artists thrown on for a few verses. Really a well put together release, hopefully a step forward for Bay Area hip-hop. Pick up yourself a copy, I'm feeling this one to the fullest.

Overall Rating = 5/5

Apr 25, 2002
Blutarski said:
6) "Sav Out" ft. Ya Boy, Bailey of Fully Loaded
Droop-E laces 'em up with a tight ass beat. You hear E-40's voice in the background as Turf hits the mic for a solid first verse. I like the hook to this song a lot, another song that is destined for the radio. Ya Boy is second on the mic and spits a solid flow. Bailey from Fully Loaded and Done Deal is on the third verse and rips a solid flow. A tight song overall, I'm feeling it.

That beat is crazy!

Apr 25, 2002
That Turf Talk is a good cd. He got plenty of Rick Roc on the beats so you cant blame em, also Turf got a sick delivery, real nice tone, some original lyrics too, not afraid to experiment and also make some songs that sound different from whats out there like Do the Robot. I was dissapointed with "Savd Out" the first version of the song with just Turf Talk was better than 3/4 of this album, i couldnt believe they changed the beat and added Bailey and Ya Boy. I wasnt impressed with some of the features like some of the dudes from the Mossie and I think a couple songs dont really flow with the album. My favorite on there has to be Hubba Rock but im also a big fan of Do the Robot. Overall a good effort by Turf Talk but nothin that is goin to put him on the front cover of the source. \
3/5