My Review of From Autumn To Ashes "Abandon Your Friends"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 30, 2005
To start let me say that I love FATA. The first hardcore record I ever bought was Too Bad You're Beautiful. I own a bunch of diffirent FATA t-shirts as well as 2 copies of their demo. This was my favorite band for a long long time. With that being said, ...the review.

01.Where To Draw The Line 4:30

The sounds of this album starts out very similiar to the fiction we live then after 40 anticipating seconds Benjamin Perri's vocals interupt. All I can say is that they sound horribley dissapointing...on TFWL Ben tore into the After Dinner Payback like no tomorrow, here he sounds a bit babbling and just bland. Luckily it only last for 20 seconds before Fran jumps in on the chorus and revives the song to a typical TFWL type of song. Ben adds a few screams to the chorus wich help it out a bit more. Until the next verse comes and Ben starts counting about something. "1, Breath in to be free...2 blah blah blah". I mean for a normal band that kind of shit would be acceptable but this is FATA and the lack of originallity is deffiniatly not tolerable. The track goes back to chorus and Ben seems to repeat the first verse over again. Chorus again, then the counting shit. (Like I said this kind of lack of creativeness isn't what one would expect from FATA) Overall: 6/10

02.Inaprope 2:49

I'm really not sure what to make of this track. MTV kids would probably love it. It sounds like Fran has been listening to a bit too much rap in his personal life. This is him singing in ryhme fashion for almost 3 minutes about something. (although I have no clue what) The song is very catchy and would be a hit if you have never heard FATA before. If you have heard FATA before you're probably asking yourself is this the same band that made The Royal Crown -Vs- The Blue Duchess??? Overall 7/10

03.Sugar Wolf 5:39

This is another Fran solo, however this one is so much better then the previous...infact it's the exact opposite. It's not some pop song bullshit, it's a war anthem. The bass kicks nice on this and Fran sings in that semi-stressed vocal tone that only he can master. Again Ben isn't present. Just after 3 minutes into the track we are given a signature FATA breakdown (the only one on the album) Fran goes back to his calm tone. "for all this shame, should've had my head in the ground" This is musically the best performance on the album so far. With 40 seconds left Fran takes it back and delivers the chorus (a very tight one at that) one last time. Overall 10/10

04.Vicious Cockfight 4:00

This track starts out with a mysterious kind of guitar bit, it's intresting. (you don't know if you like it or hate it) Then the music kicks in and is just complete crap. It's boring, repeative, and almost annoying. BOM-BOM-BOM-BOM. Ben's shouting about something, it's such a shame that the screams he produces went over such dull music. These are some of his most powerfull screams on the entire album. Up to this point the album has been listenable to, this track isn't. The last 40 seconds changes pace in a very minor way and doesn't make any diffirence to the feel of the song. Just skip it. Overall 2/10

05.Streamline 4:42

This is another Fran solo. It kind of makes me want to just pull Fran, pull him to the side and ask "What the fuck were you thinking?" The first part of the song is about riding a bike. The second half seems to continue on the path of some stupid bullshit. The music here is just "bah" boring and falls completely out of place. Overall 2/10

06.The Funny Thing About Getting Pistol Whipped Is 2:43

Another annoying track, musically it's shit and Ben's vocals go to complete waste. The chorus on this thing is horrible. "Like history in the making...like history in the making" A bit after halfway through Fran comes in and the song changes style a bit. Ben shouts one more line on repeat (wich is the best line of his the whole song) until it fades out. It storms back in and Ben shouts a few more lines to finish the track. Overall 5/10 (This band really needs to work on the music aspect of things BAD)

07.Placentapede 5:17

I have no clue how to pronounce the title of this track, but that really doesn't matter. This is easily one of the best tracks on the album. Fran takes care of the versus and chorus with Ben shouting in the background of the chorus. The versus are done in a less melodic tone then what Fran usually does but it works out well. The chorus is unbeleivabley catchy. (you just have to hear it for youself) After 2 versus the pace of the song changes pace and Fran makes a few issues clear in a slower tone. Then the chorus comes back and plays as the song fades. Overall 10/10

08.Kansas City 90210 4:42

This track is very appropriatly titled, soon as you hear the music the first thing that pops into your head is something out of 90210. (Even if you're like me and have never seen the show.) While the music here seems just a tad lovey dovey for my taste, I really enjoy Frans lyrics. They're extremely creative. The chorus seemlessly fits into the song, and their a smoothe breakdown at the end. If you're looking for a song similiar to "No Trivia" from TFWL then this is your best bet. Again Ben is absent though. :( Overall 8.5/10

09.Short For Show 4:03

Here we go once again, Ben's vocals completely wasted on another garbage ass beat. Theres nothing really note worthy here or positive to say. The ending of this song is not completely unbearable and has some nice drumming. Overall 3/10

10.Long To Go 4:31

This song could have been called KC90210 as well. It has the same sort of feel and pace to it. Not really as lovey dovey, but more laid back. It's okay, not the best song on the album or the worst either. Around 3 minutes into the song Fran delivers some of the best vocals I've ever heard. Overall 8.5/10 (would be a 7.5 but Frans vocals pushed it up a complete point)

11.Jack & Ginger 2:52

I remember way back when they started performing this song live, people were going nuts and saying it's one of their best songs to date. Well hearing something live is a completely diffirent scenario then hearing it on cd. (because on cd it sucks) I don't know what to say about this, FATA has been listening to too much Eminem? Overall 4/10

12.Abandon Your Friends 3:56

Yet again another Fran solo, I wonder where Ben was when they were recording this album? This track is sort of FATA meets Evanescence. Fran sings slowly over a piano beat. It's pretty cool, but doesn't stir much emotion. When the guitars come in they certianly top any guitar work Evanescence has ever done. Overall 7/10

In conclusion: 6.5/10

This album is the biggest dissapointment of the year in my opinion. I think when Scott left FATA it really put an end to the band and this is the lingering final grasps of of hope left. I honestly wish that I am wrong and FATA will return with an amazing album. (this is certianly not it) While I enjoy Fran's vocals, I really wish Ben would step up and turn himself back into the moster he was on previous efforts. The biggest let down itself is the music. The new band members really need to learn how to play something good or just put down their instruments. Every song on this album has a chorus. (wich is something I don't understand at all) I read in an interview that Ben said he wanted to make this album more brutal and chaotic then Too Bad You're Beautiful. I wonder what the hell happened. This is the worst FATA release ever.