My Apt raises rent

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 16, 2004
I've been living in my apartment for about 5 months on a month to month lease paying $825 a month. I just get this notice on my door today March 14th that says my lease expires March 31st. I did not know my "lease" expires at the end of this month and that a new rate of $950 will take place at the end of my lease. My manager didn't notify me shit, and it says on the notice if I'd like to leave I have to give a 30 day notice before my lease expires, how the fuck am I suppose to do that when I just received it today? What kinda bullshit is this.

Nov 16, 2004
Oh yeah and I live in a 500 sq ft. studio that was built in the 70's, crappy as shit. $950 for a fucking studio, motherfockas is trippin.

Jun 15, 2005
Twice you have said you live on a "month to month" lease.

How do you not see what that means?

It means your lease starts at the beginning of each month and ends at the end of each month.

Nov 16, 2004
enserio said:

It means your lease starts at the beginning of each month and ends at the end of each month.
Okay now it makes sense lol, but that's not my concern. It's just that they sent me a notice of the new rates 2 weeks before it goes into effect, that's some BS.

Feb 5, 2006
enserio said:

HAHAHAHA THATS WUT IM SAYIN. DO U NOT UNDERSTAND THAT?

Jun 15, 2005
This is why people sign leases for 6 months or a year.

Lesson learned.

And, for when I was paying rent, that sounds like a normal sized raise.

Not saying it ain't worth complaining about, but it's relatively normal.

Nov 16, 2004
enserio said:
This is why people sign leases for 6 months or a year.

Lesson learned.

And, for when I was paying rent, that sounds like a normal sized raise.

Not saying it ain't worth complaining about, but it's relatively normal.
They don't have that option, it's a month to month lease for this apartment complex. I understand a rent raise each year, but damn a 2 week notice? And a 15% raise is kinda high for this shitty old apartment. I was going to move in 2 months anyway. Fuckers.

Apr 25, 2002
find out what rent control is in your city, if any at all. in oakland, they can only raise it 3.3% max, once in a 12 month period. also it is california law that they must notify you of the increase 30 days in advance.

Nov 16, 2004
RevoL said:
find out what rent control is in your city, if any at all. in oakland, they can only raise it 3.3% max, once in a 12 month period. also it is california law that they must notify you of the increase 30 days in advance.
Thank you, this was what I was looking for. I will bring up the 30 day law when I have a word with my apt manager.