Must Read : Rules of Being a College Football Fan (Many Violators on this Board!)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
Read this and then look in the mirror everybody...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/dannyoneil/2009983183_oneil02.html

By Danny O'Neil

Seattle Times NFL reporter

Rule No. 1: No bigamy. You have one school that you get to be passionate about: The one you attended.

Exception 1: If you attended a school from a lower division or one that did not field a football team. Then you get to root for the team you cheered for as a kid or the team in a city where you have lived for more than 10 years.

Exception 2: If you did not go to college, you generally get three choices. 1) You can root for the school with a direct family link, preferably a parent, and cousins don't count. 2) A school with a clear geographic link to where you live. 3) You attended a game involving that team that resulted in a life-changing experience (You were moved to tears, you found love, etc.).

Rule No. 2: You can like teams in other conferences. These are like harmless little crushes and can be based on anything from a preference for a certain player, style of play or uniform colors. You can even own a T-shirt if you want, but the outcomes of these games should never affect your mood or prompt you to curse.

There are two restrictions with regard to these little flings.

Restriction 1: There can be no ambiguity who you cheer for when the schools meet.

Restriction 2: They must be from other conferences. When it comes to teams in your school's conference, you are required to root only for the outcome that best helps your school.

Corollary to Restriction 2: You should generally root for a team from your school's conference when it plays outside the conference. The only exceptions are when that team is part of your school's axis of evil (cough, cough, Oregon, cough, cough) and then by all means you are entitled to root against them at will.

Rule No. 3: For individuals possessing multiple degrees, the institution of undergraduate study holds a position of preeminence. You are encouraged to follow institutions of postgraduate work and allowed to own T-shirts and hats and even express disappointment when those teams lose. It's a secondary affiliation, though, and unless the undergraduate institution played a lower level of football, it still holds sway.

Danny O'Neil

Pity spurred me to really root for Notre Dame.

Well, pity and the ethnic O'vertones of me last name.

It was 1985, and Gerry Faust was coaching his final game at Notre Dame when Jimmy Johnson's Miami Hurricanes punched his ticket out of town with a 58-7 blowout that was about as classy as a lower-back tattoo. Miami scored on each of its possessions except when it ran out of time at the end of the two halves.

I was living half a country away in the logging outpost of Klamath Falls, Ore., but I had an Irish last name, attended a Catholic school and was compelled by the sight of a victimized underdog that has been an Irish passion since at least the arrival of Oliver Cromwell.

I also remember the exact point at which I stopped being a Notre Dame fan. I was in the stands at Husky Stadium, a freshman at Washington in my first quarter on campus.

It was the first Apple Cup I attended, and I was in the stands when I heard Boston College had beaten top-ranked Notre Dame and I felt absolutely nothing. I was more worried whether Napoleon Kaufman would stay another year at Washington. (He did.)

It seems a little odd in retrospect. From ages 10 to 18, Notre Dame was the most important sporting enterprise in my personal pantheon, and then it ceased. The Grotto and the Gipper were meaningless, along with the multiple Heismans Ron Powlus failed to win.

In retrospect, it's clear that I followed the cardinal rule of college fandom: Thou shalt not covet another college's program. You don't get multiple favorites, and if you enroll at college, the team you grew up rooting for gets trumped by the one whose college you attended. There are limited exceptions to this rule, of course. Very limited.

This isn't professional sports, where the players and coaches are recycled and, as comedian Jerry Seinfeld once observed, fans essentially cheer for laundry (and for the Seahawks on Sunday, it was particularly gaudy laundry).

College is different. It's more visceral. You are entitled to crow or complain as loud as you like, avowing that the current coach either embodies everything that is good and unique about your esteemed institution or he is guilty of murdering a fall's worth of Saturday afternoons.

I arrived at Washington to a football team freshly placed on probation, with an iconic coach who'd quit and no idea that it was only going to get worse. Two years later came the abomination of the purple helmets in which the Huskies looked like participants in a Fruit of the Loom ad.

Even then, I loved it. Shared suffering is what defines a fan base, whether it's the color of helmets, Rick Neuheisel's flexible ethics or Tyrone Willingham's final year, which is the closest thing I've ever experienced to a hostage situation.

Attending Washington was the first time I didn't have to explain my affection for the program. I was in the stadium and in the student body. Until age 15, I lived in a part of Southern Oregon remote enough it once was part of a secession attempt. The state had no professional football or baseball franchises, so I missed out on some of the geographical bonds that draw natural connections between fan base and franchise.

As a member of the cable-television generation, I developed some counterintuitive allegiances. Georgetown basketball, New York Mets baseball and then Notre Dame football.

Notre Dame is as close as any college comes to a national following. Its games used to be boiled down and broadcast on Sundays, and even now the Irish have their own TV contract with the station that broadcasts the Olympics.

Cheering for Notre Dame seems so generic in retrospect. A couple of my cousins went there, and I have the ethnic affinity that so many Americans feel toward Ireland. It's why we have green beer on St. Patrick's Day and why I ended up in a modern Irish history class at Washington with pretty much every other O'McPaddy on campus.

But I never felt the same about Notre Dame after I arrived at Washington, and now it's the Huskies who are the underdogs. They've lost all seven games they've ever played against Notre Dame. Six of those defeats have been by at least 19 points.

The closest Washington has ever come was 1995, my junior year. The Huskies blew a late lead in that game. First, punter John Wales dropped a snap that hit him right in his hands and then the defense forgot to defend Derrick Mayes, who was only Notre Dame's best wideout, on the two-point conversion that gave the Irish a fourth-quarter lead. An interception returned for a touchdown capped Notre Dame's afternoon.

Four years earlier, I would have celebrated Notre Dame's victory. Now, it makes me mad remembering what happened, even though it was more than 10 years ago.

There is no gray area when it comes to the colleges you cheer for. You don't get two favorites, and now Notre Dame feels like a shamefully populist case of puppy love.

On the positive side, I still get to root against USC.

Danny O'Neil: 206-464-2364 or [email protected]

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
I go to college, but my school is lower division, and does not have a football team

I root for Cal, but I'm not a huge Cal fan or anything... it's nothing like the way I'm a Raiders fan

I'm not even a huge college football fan

Jul 6, 2008

i like all of college football, just the game itself. it dont matter if its bumblefuck university vs hillbilly college, as long as its on tv and i got a brewski, im watchin it. i needs no affiliation to any school, just the purity of the game shining thru every saturday.

Feb 14, 2004
The college I went to back in the day didn't even have a football team. It was just a community college in Spokane. The closest team was Eastern Washington Eagles. But I never rooted for them. I've always rooted for the Huskies. Never been to a Huskies game before. But I have been to a Cougars game, the college I was at took me. The Native American club I was with got the whole club tickets. But like Meta said, not a big fan of NCAAF like I am NFL. NFL is always first.

Rossibreath

triple og from the sbp
Sep 1, 2005
Menasha
Im a badger fan but it duznt ruin my life when they lose like when the packers lose. i was at the game when ron dayne broke the ncaa rushing record, that was dope.

Mar 18, 2003
Shit is easy for me. Born and raised in Fresno and I'm a die-hard Fresno State fan of every sport. When they do not succeed I usually root for other teams in the conference because when they do good it helps to legitimize the otherwise poor conference that they play in. So I'm going for Boise State in their hail mary attempt at breaking into the national championship. That Cal-Oregon game helped a great deal!

Jazzo

Master of Debauchery
Aug 18, 2003
Off the Grid
I am an Oregon State Beavers fan, because I grew up in Portland with no other team in the area (including the NFL). I have really became a fan of The Navy squad too, because I like the Offenses they run! I love the Wishbone, Double Wing, etc. with the Triple Option. I am also a huge fan of The Offensive Line Blocking Schemes in general and Navy lives by that. The Beavs always come first though...

Dec 2, 2006
Reno,Nv
Nevada Wolfpack Baby! Win Or Lose FUCK UNLV! We Bootin That Ass Today!

On That Note I Love Going To College Games More Then Pro Games These Dudes Give it all 100% Unlike Pro's They Fight For Every Yard And Dont give Up

Jazzo

Master of Debauchery
Aug 18, 2003
Off the Grid
Nevada Wolfpack Baby! Win Or Lose FUCK UNLV! We Bootin That Ass Today!

On That Note I Love Going To College Games More Then Pro Games These Dudes Give it all 100% Unlike Pro's They Fight For Every Yard And Dont give Up
I agree on attending College over pro! The atmosphere is so much better in college...

Apr 20, 2003
LOL...you think anyone gives a shit what some beat writer has to say? If you do, then you're a sucka straight up.

Root who you root for...fuck anyone who says otherwise.
Exactly! Well stated Pukokeki..... AND yes I'm San Jose State fan which put up some stinkers in both basketball n football but love watching them regardless, so the article don't really concern me. Choose who u like and stick with them if your a true fan of the squad!