Music Books?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 1, 2003
where is the best place to get music books if you are trying to know everything about music, mixing,mastering, producing basically anything i need to know about music?...and what is the best books?

May 1, 2003
Barnes & Noble. They got what you need. What I did was go to the B&N looked at what titles they had to offer and on what subject. Then I got on Google and did a search on those titles to see what other people had to say. This process also lead to other resources on the net. If you look really hard, you can find alot of what you need on the net in PDF format. Unless you need a book on the go. As far as the best books , it all depends on you and your level of comprehension. Do you need diagrams, plain text, a book with a companion CD with help files on it. I really suggest you stick to the net first. You can find all the help you need for free.

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Doberman said:
Barnes & Noble. They got what you need. What I did was go to the B&N looked at what titles they had to offer and on what subject. Then I got on Google and did a search on those titles to see what other people had to say. This process also lead to other resources on the net. If you look really hard, you can find alot of what you need on the net in PDF format. Unless you need a book on the go. As far as the best books , it all depends on you and your level of comprehension. Do you need diagrams, plain text, a book with a companion CD with help files on it. I really suggest you stick to the net first. You can find all the help you need for free.
so after all your studies can you mix down to a studer 2 inch tape machine?

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
HERESY said:
I envy you..its gonna be a lost art Im afraid of..the studio i go to they still have a few tape machines.....being we usually are just two tracking the beats..I dont have it mixed down that way..I usually have them mix it down with the mx2424

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Doberman said:
A what? sorry gramps! j/k
yeah I feel a lil old...but I think analog is a great sound..efficient..no but you can find good deals on the tape machines on ebay..but I dont know how to maintain or run them....but i think one day If i have a few extra dollars i might get one to play with

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
50cal said:
I envy you..its gonna be a lost art Im afraid of..the studio i go to they still have a few tape machines.....being we usually are just two tracking the beats..I dont have it mixed down that way..I usually have them mix it down with the mx2424
Yeah, it does seem that way, and with the largest tape manufacturer in america shutting down it doesn't look good. I suggest you buy some tape or purchase it in bulk while you still may have the chance. What I often suggest people do (if they have the cash) is to mix in whatever daw you have access to (along with whatever console you have access to) and after that dump the tracks to 2 track tape (one with buss compression, one without.) After that fly both takes back in the daw and master from that instead of mastering from the tape. Yes, it is going to double your costs for tape, but you have two versions. One without the boards buss compression (a good board will have this) and with the buss compression. This will make it easier for mastering/editing, you won't degrade your tapes quality and you won't have to pay for additional head rental fees because you aren't mastering for tape.

An alternative? Find GOOD tape plugins, use a low jitter clock and make sure the converters are on point.

EDIT: and these are good also.

http://www.alesis.com/products/ml9600/

It's always good to dump to these at the same time you are dumping to tape. You can dump to these uncompressed and uncompressed. That way when its all finished you have multiple versions you have to choose from, but each is going to sound different. This is easy to dump to because all you have to do is use the other outputs on the board you are using.

May 1, 2003
50cal said:
yeah I feel a lil old...but I think analog is a great sound..efficient..no but you can find good deals on the tape machines on ebay..but I dont know how to maintain or run them....but i think one day If i have a few extra dollars i might get one to play with
just clownin mayne. the BIG 4-0 is right around the corner for me.