MTV Music Generator for PlayStation

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 29, 2006
925 Deep East Bay
Ya'll remember this little program for the PS? Who had it and used to make beats with it? :cool:

I still have mine, with about five memory cards full of beats that I made over the years (I put a few of them on CDR). I still mess with it from time to time, since I don't have any real equipment right now. But you'd be suprised at all the shit you can do on it. It's pretty fun (and easy) to play around with when you're bored, but you waste time hella fast.

Anyone else still have it and still mess with it?

Apr 26, 2006
I still have this game. It's in mint condition because I probably only used it like 5 times. There's a PC version as well. But I have the original one for the PS1. It's aight, but boring IMO. Too limited. It's a knock off of Fruity Loops.

Jul 2, 2008
myspace.com
yeah entertainment....as in "i think we should play 'pretend to be a producer tonight' itll be loads of fun "....

if you take mtv music generator serious and think your a producer its kinda like playing monopoly and believing your a highly successful real estate broker or something haha....

Mar 17, 2006
you guys that are knockin this game are trippin. maybe it's not a super advanced daw but it was easy to use and came loaded with a lot of dope samples and riffs. and, surprisingly, it had a piano roll and a bunch of other editing features. you could even load your own samples.

I have some questions:

What is the best version to look for (PS/PS2)?

How do you get samples into it?
(The only possibility I can think of is that it can either rip audio off cd's or there's some kind of 'usb to memory card' adaptor...)

Sounds like fun, I'll pick it up when you guys tell me which one to get, assuming I can find it.

I had something on PS called 'Music Maker' I think, but it was incredibly hard to use, had a higher learning curve than ProTools, lol

STRATEGY

Nov 14, 2002
you got rhythm,you could make tight beats with stuff sittin around the house!people still think you need a 3,000 keyboard to make good beats...lol...depends on the person skill not what they got.

Apr 26, 2006
you got rhythm,you could make tight beats with stuff sittin around the house!people still think you need a 3,000 keyboard to make good beats...lol...depends on the person skill not what they got.
Well, according to many of the people here in the Studio section of this forum, they think Fruity Loops is cheap. They knock on anything if it ain't Pro-Tools, Cubase, Logic, Reason, MPC or other hardware. So skill doesn't matter to some of these heads, unless you using what I mentioned. :ermm:

Nov 14, 2002
Well, according to many of the people here in the Studio section of this forum, they think Fruity Loops is cheap. They knock on anything if it ain't Pro-Tools, Cubase, Logic, Reason, MPC or other hardware. So skill doesn't matter to some of these heads, unless you using what I mentioned. :ermm:
i would rather listen to a dusty album with the melodies on point in a tape deck than some off key shitty ass music on a cd player.

Mar 29, 2006
925 Deep East Bay
I took samples from some of my CDs before (mostly from movie soundtracks and other non-rap CDs) and used them in beats that I've made. I did a Scarface beat once that didn't turn out that bad.

I used to have the Music Maker for PS2, but I found the PS MTV MG much better and easier to use. But I'll admit that the PS2 game had some better-sounding riffs, but still not as much as the PS game.

But all bullshittin aside, I'd much rather make beats on a nice workstation. That'd be my first choice. This game is something I just mess with in my leisure time. I don't take it seriously, nor do I even pretend like I'm a producer. lol That's just some square shit right there. lol So don't get it twisted. It's...just...for...fun. Even back in the day, when I put some beats on a tape then transfered them to a CDR, and had my boys flow on them, it was all in good fun. Good times.

I made this thread strickly for nostlagic purposes. And to hear about other people's experiences with it. That's all.

And by the way, ya'll do know that a certan group made an entire album with this game, right? I bet ya'll can't guess who it was. :D

Jan 6, 2003
www.midwestinvasion.com
Every body just ups there preference... Ive heard some knocc fl studio.... you defend.it....... then theres some that knocc the motif and i defend it.... then there some that knocc ps1 games..... fucc it. its just about preference bra....... what ever you are comfortable working with should work for ya......

Apr 26, 2006
Every body just ups there preference... Ive heard some knocc fl studio.... you defend.it....... then theres some that knocc the motif and i defend it.... then there some that knocc ps1 games..... fucc it. its just about preference bra....... what ever you are comfortable working with should work for ya......
Yeah, but some people just don't get that concept. Like you said, use whatever you are comfotable with.

Aug 27, 2007
I always thought the MG 1 was coo to use at the time. Never got a chance to use the MG 2 though. But I thought it was pretty tight for what it was. It had a lot of stuff in it. Tight sounds too. The only thing I found annoying about it is when I use to have to unplug the plug out my TV and into my external CD player to record a beat onto CD-R after voluming it lol.