Movie Sequels Better than the Original

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 3, 2008
I know it is very rare but it does happen every once and a while

'The Godfather, Part II'
Not only was it a Best Picture winner, but “Godfather 2” takes us further inside the Corleone family, providing back story for Vito Corleone while continuing the tale of Michael’s rise to power.

'The Silence of the Lambs'
“Silence of the Lambs” is an unforgettable adaptation of Thomas Harris’ novel, the story and imagery has been referenced in more movies than I can count, and it won five Academy Awards. Who even remembers its precursor “Manhunter?”

'The Empire Strikes Back'
In my (not so humble) opinion this is the crowning achievement of George Lucas’ franchise. Maybe it was because Lucas stepped out of the director’s chair? Whatever the reason, “Empire” delivers an epic story, gut-wrenching battle scenes, and the planet Hoth.

'Terminator 2'

'Die Hard 2: Die Harder'
How can you “die harder?” Just ask John McClane who manages to destroy a plane by dropping from a helicopter onto the wing and lighting it on fire.

'The Dark Knight'
I enjoyed "Batman Begins" for the Nolans' grittier portrayal of Batman, but it is nothing compared to the Fanboy dream that is "The Dark Night."

'2 Fast 2 Furious'
The title speaks for itself. Faster and furious-er

Jan 18, 2006
dark knight ain't a sequel in my eyes but other then that pretty good choices. saw 2 was better imo

Mar 18, 2003
I thought Young Guns 2 was better than the first. Both are great movies, though. I'm also tempted to say Back to the Future 2, but the original was just too good.

Lol @ 2 Fast 2 Furious

Nov 17, 2002
www.facebook.com
I know it's all just opinions, but I gotta say...

2 Fast and 2 Furious is definitely not better than the first movie. Although I am not in love with the first, all the sequels pretty much went downhill from there.

Saw was done after the first one. The second movie might be better than part 16 (or whatever the last one was) but it wasn't even close to the original.

I'll agree with TDK and T2, but not by much. The first of those series are so awesome that they are nearly equals to their sequels.

I'll offer a lesser known: Dead Or Alive 2. And I'm not talking about some shitty movie based on a shittier video game. I'm talking Miike Takashi's wild trilogy. Although I love the first DOA, and although the tone of the sequel is much different than the first, I think part 2 makes it as my favorite.

Apr 25, 2002
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (i'm not a star trek fan, but this is obvious)

Godfather 2 gets jocked because everyone is on de niro's tip so hard. In my opinion the movie would be better without his portion. 1 was waaaay better.

Kill Bill 2 was better than 1, but I consider them one movie so it doesn't count.

I liked Gremlins 2, Aliens, and T2 more than the originals, but the firsts were so influential that it is hard for me to say the sequels were "better". But the sequels were also quite different styles from the og's so they were very much different movies.

Agree that Empire is better than New Hope.

Apr 25, 2002
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (i'm not a star trek fan, but this is obvious)

Godfather 2 gets jocked because everyone is on de niro's tip so hard. In my opinion the movie would be better without his portion. 1 was waaaay better.

Kill Bill 2 was better than 1, but I consider them one movie so it doesn't count.

I liked Gremlins 2, Aliens, and T2 more than the originals, but the firsts were so influential that it is hard for me to say the sequels were "better". But the sequels were also quite different styles from the og's so they were very much different movies.

Agree that Empire is better than New Hope.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Manhunter is fucking dope, i dont care what that person says. Silence of the Lambs is awesome too, but it's because of Anthony Hopkins performance.

oh and Mighty Ducks 2 shits on Mighty Ducks 1.

Jan 18, 2006
Yeah i liked Batman Begins a lot more too, Joker sounded like a fucken retard to me but thats just me. Transformers 2 was terrible in my eyes and apparently most peoples, it got no hype like the first and Comcast gave it 1 star and usually there 3 star movies mean it is a good movie to watch, best is 4 of course and those are absolute classics. Devil Rejects is the shit, definitely a lot better then the first one.

L.D.S.

The Bakersman
Aug 14, 2006
Mizzourah
Lol @ 2 fast 2 furious. I wouldn't put that on the list.
Or Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Terrible flick. You know it sucks when the main actor apologizes months later for its maximum suckage.

Blade 2 and Hellboy 2: The Golden Army were better than the originals. Both being directed by Guillermo del Toro helped.