MOVEMENT...LOL(kansas city)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 31, 2005
THIS IS NOT DIRECTED AT ANYONE IN PARTICULAR...IF IT OFFENDS YOU I APOLOGIZE.....................................

move·ment(mvmnt)
noun.
1. The act or an instance of moving; a change in place or position.

2. A series of actions and events taking place over a period of time and working to foster a principle or policy

3. An organized effort by supporters of a common goal

4. A tendency or trend

***************5. An evacuation of the bowels.

HAD TO POST THIS TO SEE WHUT MOVEMENTS WAS POPPIN IN K.C.....
I SEE ALOT OF CATS USIN THIS WORD....
I DONE HAD AT LEAST 5 PEOPLE SAY SOMETHIN TO ME BOUT A MOVEMENT...
I ALSO USE THIS TERM WHEN I SAY "MONSTA MOVEMENT" WHICH HAS IT'S OWN MEANING TO ME AND THA PEOPLE THATS RIDIN TIL THA WHEELS FALL OFF...
PEOPLE MENTION "MOVEMENT" AND I DON'T SEE A DAMN THING MOVIN...DROP A ALBUM, MIXTAPE, OR WHUTEVA AND THA SHIT LAST FOR A WEEK(IF THAT) AND IT'S INVISIBLE...
THIS MUSIC SHIT HAS CHANGED SO MUCH IN THA LAST FEW YEARS AND PEOPLE TAKIN THA WRONG APPROACH. DROP A ALBUM SELL 50-250 IF YOUR LUCKY OUTTA 7TH HEAVEN AND MOVE 3,192 OUTTA YA TRUNK(YEAH RIGHT...)

I WANNA SEE PEOPLE IN THE TOWN WIN AND I DON'T SEE THE EFFORT BEIN PUT IN...I GUESS IF YOU DON'T KNOW YOU DON'T KNOW.

THERE'S ONLY 2 RAPPERS I SEE THAT GOT A MOVEMENT POPPIN AND I'VE NEVER SEEN THEM POP SHIT BOUT THEY MOVEMENT...THEY EATIN OFF THIS SHIT, DOIN THEM AND USIN THA FORMULA THAT WORKS FOR THEM.

A MOVEMENT IS NOT ONE MAN OR ONE PROJECT ALSO. PEOPLE USIN THA WORD WITH NO OTHA WORD ATTACHED LET'S ME KNOW THEY A JOKE...I ATTACH MONSTA TO MINES PERSONALLY...

IF YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THIS IT'S PROBABLY BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE A MOVEMENT POPPIN AND USE THIS TERM...

SPEAK UP IF YOU GOT A MOVEMENT POPPIN OR LIKE TO THROW THAT WORD AROUND...

WE ALL IN THA SAME BOAT AND HOLDIN DOWN K.C., LET'S GET IT POPPIN!

******************I SEE ALOT OF # 5'S POPPIN THO, SINCE MOST OF YALL JUST POPPIN SHIT....

Apr 30, 2005
I was blessed to be part of a compalation called "THE MOVEMENT" a couple years back which unfortunatly I was the only KC/Chi-town cat on it. It featured artist from San Diego to D.C such as Cricet, Bay Loc, Steve Vicious (S.D) Shahid Mustafa (Chicago/ D.C) and myself Bilal of Coterie. Be it Folks, People, Crip, or Blood, "The Movement" represented a common ground of our youth in AmeriKKKA...real talk. Check out some of the tracks on http://www.myspace.com/shahidmustafa1

Nov 1, 2005
Why a street rapper from Kansas City will never have large scale commercial success:

1. In order to get signed by a major record label, an artist such as "Rich the Factor" (we will use Rich as an example because he's the 'King of the Town') would have to move a significant number of units independently. Problem: the urban population of KC and the surrounding metro is not large enough to produce the numbers required without significant sales in other areas.

This leaves 2 possibilities: 1, a street artist such as "Rich the Factor" would have to secure an independent distribution deal that would give him a retail presence in other markets (IE, California). Problem - even with said retail presence, without a physical presence doing promotions / touring / shows very few additional units will be sold. To back up the retail presence, money is needed for promotions / travel / there must be a demand for shows. Which comes first, the chicken or the egg? Problem 2 - it's very easy for an artist with large local success to be happy with that, and not risk financial security for larger gain.

Option 2 - a street rapper such as "Rich the Factor" would have to build a large suburban fan base in the KC metro, while not alienating his core urban fans. Tech N9ne is a perfect example of attaining these suburban fans, however some of his "street status" was lost. This in reality is quite silly - in the Bay area, artists such as Messy Marv, Mistah FAB, and Turf Talk have significant "street" fanbases and large amounts of suburban fans as well. They do shows in the 'burbs AND in the hood, parlaying this dual local and national fanbase into impressive independent record sales.

In short, there is no KC movement until a rapper like Rich starts crossing over to the JoCo / Lawrence / KCMO suburban kids to beef up his numbers. I just don't see it happening.

Nov 1, 2005
Oh, and on rappers with potential to make this a "movement" - it's all on degree man, that dude has what it takes to be the next "big" KC rapper to me. That "Bird in My Bottle" song, that shit should of been all over college radio. I should of been hearing that shit at frat parties in Lawrence, KC needs a rapper than can take a song like that and get it played in the streets and then flip it and get love on both sides of the state and county lines.

Aug 31, 2005
COUPLE GOOD RESPONSES HOMIE...THIS LOOKS LIKE IT MIGHT TURN INTO A GOOD THREAD...
AS FAR AS ANY STREET RAPPER GETTIN A MAJOR DEAL...FOR WHUT??? I DON'T KNOW WHY ANY RAPPER WOULD WANT A MAJOR DEAL RIGHT ABOUT NOW.....THEM MAJORS IS STRUGGLIN LIKE CRAZY. ALL THAT GLITTERS NOT GOLD. THIS WHOLE INDUSTRY IS COMIN BACK TO THA STREETS WHERE SHIT BELONGS.

RICH ACTUALLY GOT #'S TO GET ATTENTION FROM SOME MAJORS BUT HE DOES HIM AND I DON'T THINK HE'S WORRIED ABOUT ALL THE OTHA ASPECTS OF MAKIN A FULL PROJECT POP....I.E.RADIO SONGZ, PROMOTIONS, BOOKING SHOWS, MARKETING TO SURBURBIA... HE DOES HIS THING FOR HIS CORE AUDIENCE, WHICH IS THE STREETS.
I DON'T KNOW ANY KC RAPPERS THAT MARKET TO JOHNSON COUNTY AND THE BURBS BESIDES TECH...IT WORKS FOR HIM AND HE'S VERY SUCCESSFUL WIT IT...HALF THESE CATS DON'T LEAVE THE METRO AREA...
THESE ARE THE 2 RAPPERS I SAID THAT HAVE A MOVEMENT POPPIN IN THE TOWN...THEY GOT LOYAL FOLLOWERS AND ARE A BIG INFLUENCE ON ALOT OF PEOPLE IN K.C. WHETHER THEY USE THEIR POWER TO MAKE THEIR MOVEMENT BIGGER IS ON THEM...

OH YEAH THIS "MONSTA MOVEMENT" IS POPPIN TOO...IF YOUR NOT HEARIN, JUST KEEP YOUR EARS OPEN ITS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME...

ON ANOTHA NOTE TECH/RICH AND THEIR CAMPS IS THE ONLY PEOPLE I THINK THAT SHOULD RELEASE ALBUMS IN THE TOWN...

THE REST BETTER GET THEY MARKETING AND PROMO GAME IN FULL EFFECT, BUILD A FANBASE AND POUND THA STREETZ.
99% OF THEM ALBUMS COME AND GO IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE... TO ME IT'S A WASTE OF $$$ NOWADAYS. LIKE I SAID THE GAME HAS CHANGED, MAJORS CAN'T EVEN SELL RECORDS WITH MILLIONS OF DOLLARS FOR MARKETING/PROMO, WHUT MAKES YOU THINK A LOCAL CAN???

Nov 1, 2005
SOUL MUTT said:
COUPLE GOOD RESPONSES HOMIE...THIS LOOKS LIKE IT MIGHT TURN INTO A GOOD THREAD...
AS FAR AS ANY STREET RAPPER GETTIN A MAJOR DEAL...FOR WHUT??? I DON'T KNOW WHY ANY RAPPER WOULD WANT A MAJOR DEAL RIGHT ABOUT NOW.....THEM MAJORS IS STRUGGLIN LIKE CRAZY. ALL THAT GLITTERS NOT GOLD. THIS WHOLE INDUSTRY IS COMIN BACK TO THA STREETS WHERE SHIT BELONGS.

RICH ACTUALLY GOT #'S TO GET ATTENTION FROM SOME MAJORS BUT HE DOES HIM AND I DON'T THINK HE'S WORRIED ABOUT ALL THE OTHA ASPECTS OF MAKIN A FULL PROJECT POP....I.E.RADIO SONGZ, PROMOTIONS, BOOKING SHOWS, MARKETING TO SURBURBIA... HE DOES HIS THING FOR HIS CORE AUDIENCE, WHICH IS THE STREETS.
I DON'T KNOW ANY KC RAPPERS THAT MARKET TO JOHNSON COUNTY AND THE BURBS BESIDES TECH...IT WORKS FOR HIM AND HE'S VERY SUCCESSFUL WIT IT...HALF THESE CATS DON'T LEAVE THE METRO AREA...
THESE ARE THE 2 RAPPERS I SAID THAT HAVE A MOVEMENT POPPIN IN THE TOWN...THEY GOT LOYAL FOLLOWERS AND ARE A BIG INFLUENCE ON ALOT OF PEOPLE IN K.C. WHETHER THEY USE THEIR POWER TO MAKE THEIR MOVEMENT BIGGER IS ON THEM...

OH YEAH THIS "MONSTA MOVEMENT" IS POPPIN TOO...IF YOUR NOT HEARIN, JUST KEEP YOUR EARS OPEN ITS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME...

ON ANOTHA NOTE TECH/RICH AND THEIR CAMPS IS THE ONLY PEOPLE I THINK THAT SHOULD RELEASE ALBUMS IN THE TOWN...

THE REST BETTER GET THEY MARKETING AND PROMO GAME IN FULL EFFECT, BUILD A FANBASE AND POUND THA STREETZ.
99% OF THEM ALBUMS COME AND GO IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE... TO ME IT'S A WASTE OF $$$ NOWADAYS. LIKE I SAID THE GAME HAS CHANGED, MAJORS CAN'T EVEN SELL RECORDS WITH MILLIONS OF DOLLARS FOR MARKETING/PROMO, WHUT MAKES YOU THINK A LOCAL CAN???
Here's the thing... Rich might have the numbers, but dude don't even got a real website. Dude don't even got barcodes for soundscan, you can't even buy his albums on Amazon. YOu want a new rich album, you gotta go to Wax Factory or 7th HEaven or try to order it off a RapBay. It's like, why doesn't the man sign up with SMC or whatever to get his product out there? It's like some of these cats just WANNA stay selling 2,000 copies a release.

Aug 31, 2005
^^^
"I DON'T THINK HE'S WORRIED ABOUT ALL THE OTHA ASPECTS OF MAKIN A FULL PROJECT POP....I.E.RADIO SONGZ, PROMOTIONS, BOOKING SHOWS, MARKETING TO SURBURBIA... HE DOES HIS THING FOR HIS CORE AUDIENCE, WHICH IS THE STREETS."

DID'NT U READ THIS PART FROM MY POST???PRETTY MUCH THE SAME THING U SAID...

Nov 1, 2005
Thas cool and all, but seriously, it's like Rich I have people in california that wana buy your projects man but you can't get that shit on CD universe, they gotta deal with janky ass rapbay and hope they have it in stock. Don't understand why a guy like that doesn't get a decent indy distro deal, barcode that shit and do some soundscan numbers. Maybe he's happy with just being local, but come on, do it for the city... Build up the image.

Mar 12, 2003
70mile.com
Me and Slush was in the lab eariler this week and we were talking about this shit. We are starting to see a formation of niggas thats trying to get it and they are actually good artist.

Mutt I dig what you and the Street Monstaz are doing. I for real feel like yall got the best movement going, and on some real shit im one nigga whos wit you niggas. I plan on working wit yall. Slush and me(yea Slush and me nigga lol) are starting a 3 album series just to show muthafuckas it aint a game to us, we got shit to say in a slick way...

Nov 1, 2005
3rd_degree said:
Me and Slush was in the lab eariler this week and we were talking about this shit. We are starting to see a formation of niggas thats trying to get it and they are actually good artist.

Mutt I dig what you and the Street Monstaz got going, I for real feel like yall got the best movement going, and on some real shit im one nigga whos wit you niggas. I plan on working wit yall. Slush and me(yea Slush and me nigga lol) are starting a 3 album series just to show muthafuckas it aint a game to us, we got shit to say in a slick way...
exactly my man we need real artists who want to make this shit pop on a national level. being local is cool and all, but people need to get out the binoculars and try to see outside of kcmo. quality projects is the first step, not half assed "Street album mixtapes" that are just huge fucking money grabs. step 2 to me though is getting this local music in as many stores as possible, best buy, circuit city, whatever, gotta get that shit on the shelves

Mar 12, 2003
70mile.com
I hear you fam but its not as easy as you think to get shit in those stores. Me and Matt are fucking around wit some shit thats supposed to get us there so we will see what happens. Ur right Mutt slush does have a real good buzz going in the streets, I like how yall are keepin shit in peoples faces. If you keep it poppin people have no choice but to fuck wit you. And thats what were on right now. To be honest wit you im on pace to drop about 5 or six projects this year. Shit im tired of sitting around hearing people talk shit..

Aug 31, 2005
THA "MONSTA MOVEMENT" AIN'T ABOUT ME, ROB OR THA STREETMONSTAZ...
WE JUST BRANDIN A BUNCH OF SHIT WIT THIS WHOLE "MONSTA, STREETMONSTAZ" SITUATION TO MAXIMIZE WHUT WE CAN ACCOMPLISH FOR THA TOWN AND THA MIDWEST. TRUST ME WE WANNA SEE KC WIN.
IT'S A "NEW KC" POPPIN UP AND WE AT THA FOREFRONT ALONG WIT SLUSH, VAN BRUNT ENT., AND SEVERAL ARTIST THAT WE WORK WITH IN THA TOWN...THA MONSTA MOVEMENT IS NOT LOCAL EITHER...
ALOT OF PEOPLE TELLIN FOLKS TO HOP ON THEY BACK AND CAN'T SUPPORT NOTHIN... WE HERE FOR THA CITY AND ANYONE THAT WANTS TO WIN WITH US.
BETWEEN ME AND ROB WE GOT OVER 30 YEARS IN THIS RAP SHIT AND OUR GRIND/KNOWLEDGE IS VERY VALUABLE...WE GOTTA EAT!!!LOL

Aug 31, 2005
DAMN "STREET ALBUM MIXTAPES"... I TAKE OFFENSE TO THAT, BUT YOU PROLLY DON'T KNOW NO BETTER. IT'S ALL GOOD...
GETTIN IN ALL THEM STORES USUALLY TAKES SOME DISTRO. DEAL OR ALOT OF OUT YOUR OWN POCKET FUNDING. CD SALES AIN'T THA TICKET NO MORE EITHER...HAVING SHIT IN BEST BUY AIN'T THA TICKET...
"MONEY GRABS" LOL WHEN WE GIVE AWAY 5000 "STREETALBUMS/MIXTAPES" WE SPENDIN MORE THAN WE MAKIN...
THA BUZZ THAT SLUSH HAS IS A DIRECT LINK TO THESE "STREETALBUM/MIXTAPES" & HARDWORK,TRUST ME...

"HALF ASSED" LOL... OUR JOINTZ IS KILL'EM ALMOST ALL THESE BULLSHIT ALBUM/COMPS. OR WHUTEVA OTHA RELEASES IN THA TOWN...

OH YEAH, ALOT OF PEOPLE GOT "QUALITY PROJECTS"...BANGIN BEATS, NICE BARS, GOOD HOOKS AND STILL DON'T DO SHIT...ALBUMS IS PRETTY MUCH USELESS IN MY BOOK NOWADAYS, UNTIL YOU HAVE THAT CRAZY BUZZ AND DEMAND

MARKETING/PROMOTION IS THA KEY!

Aug 31, 2005
Law said:
there is something going on right now... but then again there hasnt been a whole lot going on in while...

it will be an interesting year
THERE'S A SHIFT GOIN ON RIGHT NOW & IT'S FOR THA BETTER.

I THINK GUYS LIKE MIDDLEOFTHEMAP.COM, CHAUNCEY CLYDE, SLUSH, PAUL MUSSAN, VAN BRUNT ENT., K-T.U.F. THA STREETMONSTAZ, 3RD & MATT, RAWBEATZZ, ELMO, DON JUAN AND A FEW MORE PEOPLE ARE ALL DOIN GOOD THINGS FOR THA TOWN...

THESE NEXT COUPLE YEARS GON BE REAL CRUCIAL.