More Americans Vote for American Idol than for ANY past President

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 17, 2004
American Idol outvotes the president

Mark Sweney and agencies in Los Angeles
Friday May 26, 2006
The Guardian

A prematurely grey soul singer from Alabama who was once likened to a drunken dad at a wedding triumphed in the American Idol finale, which drew more votes than have ever been cast for a president in a US election.

Taylor Hicks, 29, emerged as the winner in the finale of the TV show on Wednesday night in which 63m votes were cast. It is the biggest single voting night in the five-season history of the show. In the 1984 US presidential election, 54.5 million voters backed Ronald Reagan - the most votes obtained by a president. British viewers can watch the show tonight on ITV2.

Article continues
Hicks had been dismissed by the British judge Simon Cowell as a no-hoper; at one point, Cowell compared his stage-stomping to the antics of a drunken father taking an ill-advised turn on the dancefloor.

"Thank you, America, I'm living the American Dream," he said after beating fellow finalist Katharine McPhee: "I'm heading to the studio as quickly as I can. But I'll take a few days off to clear my head." Hicks, the latest in a string of southern and midwestern contestants to win the contest, is rewarded with a recording contract and a new car.

The show's fifth and best-rated edition yet took a leap in stature when Prince, Mary J Blige and other big names performed during the finale. The series has given big boosts to the album sales of pop stars who have appeared on it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1783339,00.html

Apr 25, 2002
they should let 9 yr.olds vote for the new president via cell phone.. NO... i'm sure people voted more than once... that doesn't work in the government. unless your a bush.. fuck congress.. pussy dumbfuck bitches.

Jul 22, 2006
Voting takes more work than american idol.

Presidential candidates aren't exposed nearly to the same level of public scrutiny during their debates as American idol contestants.

Elections aren’t promoted in any kind of attractive way to people.

American idol is done on people’s free time, voting is often hampered by work and family obligations.

Voting isn’t rational behavior anyway.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
FunK-3-FivE said:
I know this is old news, but I'm amazed, this reveals what really matters most to Americans. eeek :/
That's because most Americans are worthless pieces of shit. I hate that fucking show. I won't even watch it for "entertainment" to laugh at the people. It's just fucking stupid.

Feb 8, 2006
Probably because most American's fall under the catergory that Ignorance is bliss. They think the economy, the war, our government is all ok, they're in for a real suprise soon.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
They'll still think our gov't is great even when the gov't starts fucking us even more than they already do....

fucking taxes and all this bullshit...fuck that.