MMA Training

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Which do you train in, have trained in, or plan to train in?

• Brazilian/Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Judo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Karate

• Muay Thai/Kickboxing

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Kung Fu

• Boxing

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Other?

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • None....fuck Martial Arts

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
Which of these have you done? Do you compete? Spar at all?

I mess with Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, only know a handfull of moves. My joint locks are weak as shit, I usually just wear people all the way down, then choke them out.

I'm trying to get into Judo and Muay Thai next year, we'll see. Wing Tsun (Kung Fu) would be the shit, but for now it doesn't fit my schedule.

I'm going to look into a few competitions next year. I need to cut down another 20lbs or so. Not MMA yet, just some GJJ/Grappling.

WXS STOMP3R

SENIOR GANG MEMBER
Feb 27, 2006
LEARN TO BOX,WRESTLE, LEARN THE KICKS FROM MUAY THAI AND THE GUARD FROM JIU JITSU. AND YOU SHOULD BE PRETTY WELL ROUNDED.
WING CHUN AND THE REST OF TMA'S ONLY SHOULD BE A SIDE SSTUDY.

May 12, 2002
My Pops was a Boxer in the Coast Guard back in the day so he taught me that from the jump. Did Judo when I was young for a couple months, at the time I wanted to do TKD or some Ninja shit so Judo was boring, its one of my life regrets. Wrestled a little in High School then practiced BJJ after HS and in to my early 20's. Did a little Kickboxing in between. Since then I have sparred with a lot of MMA fighters to help them. I am getting back into shape now so I can start training full time. Still at 295 so its hard to do full classes for an hour, but I will get there soon. For me on the streets I think Boxing is the best thing to learn. Difference is you can learn to become a striker much quicker than you can learn to become a grappler.

May 2, 2002
Karate when I was young for a couple years...and wrestling in high school for a couple years too.

I'm glad I wrestled though...cause 99% of the fights I've been in have ended up on the ground.

But then again...just about every fight I've seen has ended up on the ground.

WXS STOMP3R

SENIOR GANG MEMBER
Feb 27, 2006
BigE916WRM said:
My Pops was a Boxer in the Coast Guard back in the day so he taught me that from the jump. Did Judo when I was young for a couple months, at the time I wanted to do TKD or some Ninja shit so Judo was boring, its one of my life regrets. Wrestled a little in High School then practiced BJJ after HS and in to my early 20's. Did a little Kickboxing in between. Since then I have sparred with a lot of MMA fighters to help them. I am getting back into shape now so I can start training full time. Still at 295 so its hard to do full classes for an hour, but I will get there soon. For me on the streets I think Boxing is the best thing to learn. Difference is you can learn to become a striker much quicker than you can learn to become a grappler.

I AGREE BOXING WOULD BE THE BEST BET. AND WRETLING TO KEEP IT FROM GOING TO THE GROUND. DAMN BIG E YOU'S A BIG DUDE. AND I THOUGH I WOULD GET WINDED AT 260.

Feb 10, 2006
Wrestling & Boxing are the only two I learned.

Well thoses are also the only two that are sports at the high school I went too.

But I need to learn how to throw some nice kicks. Besides for knees my legs don't do shit.

May 14, 2002
When I was a kid I did some Judo then I started with Yin&Yang Kempo (I don't think it's big or it exists at all in the US) I stopped and did some thai boxing now I'm back to practicing Kempo again

This was the first demonstration I gave with tonfas and a chinese sword
(It was filmed too but these pictures are all I got at the moment)

Nov 16, 2006
i used to box, and i would always spar a lot. Ive just been lifting weights for the past year though, i need to get my cardio up so i can compete. anyone know of any good boxing gyms in the bay area besides Kings gym or 3rd street gym in frisco? im looking for something around the richmond area because the nearest boxing gym has closed.

May 5, 2002
I do some Muay Thai bag training on my own. Soon as I stop smokin cigs and get my cardio up I'm gonna get into it more and train at a school. Muay Thai is A LOT more complex than most people think. Its the most complete form of standup fighting in the world (and the most effective).

I'd also like to add in Judo and BJJ. Completeness is key...

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
when I was younger I used to do Kajukenbo. its a mix of 5 different martial arts; Karate, Judo, Jujitsu, Kenpo, & Chinese Boxing. shit was coo cuz we did a mix of everything....

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
and I don't understand why any grown individual would wanna fuck with Muay Thai....if you're gonna do it traditional, they're gonna beat the shit out of your legs & arms until you have no feeling in them.....my potna in high school was black & thai, like 6'5 or something, and not buff, but well built....this foo was pissed off one day as we're leaving school and he kicks the shit out of a No Parking street sign.......the metal pole.....kicks that shit hella fucking hard and keeps walking like its nothing.....I'm like "that didn't hurt?" "nah, I can't feel shit in my legs" needless to say I never got on his bad side....he trained in thailand tho and said they used to hit him on the legs & arms with sticks constantly untill he could no longer feel it....so just know what you're getting into before you jump into it

May 14, 2002
^

your friend will have big problems when he reaches the age of 40 to 50 because it's not good on your bones if you train this way. He won't notice anything now but he will when he gets older

May 5, 2002
Defy said:
and I don't understand why any grown individual would wanna fuck with Muay Thai....if you're gonna do it traditional, they're gonna beat the shit out of your legs & arms until you have no feeling in them.....my potna in high school was black & thai, like 6'5 or something, and not buff, but well built....this foo was pissed off one day as we're leaving school and he kicks the shit out of a No Parking street sign.......the metal pole.....kicks that shit hella fucking hard and keeps walking like its nothing.....I'm like "that didn't hurt?" "nah, I can't feel shit in my legs" needless to say I never got on his bad side....he trained in thailand tho and said they used to hit him on the legs & arms with sticks constantly untill he could no longer feel it....so just know what you're getting into before you jump into it
MOST training in thailand consists of running, bag training, pad training, and light sparring. Even just doing bag training will condition your legs to where its not painfull to kick, I know me personally I've noticed a difference from when I started to were I'm in now. What you talk about is not standard practice in muay thai because in thailand most people train muay thai so that they can fight and make money to feed their family. If they risk critically injuring themselves in training, they cant fight, and as a result cannot feed their family...