MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 29, 2005
PHX
who the fucks at Elevation? Alpha is top notch for ground/wrestling. that Ludwig shits a good move tho.

They got a good squad there. They got Matt Brown, Clay Guida, Neil Magny, Brandon Thatch and a bunch of others.

Just read an article that Dillashaw is actually being paid by MusclePharm to train there. That shit is win/win. No gym fee percentage and an extra pay check.

He wasn't even at Alpha Male for his last camp for the second Barao fight, he spent the whole camp with Ludwig and he never looked better.

I think this is an overall good move.

Apr 25, 2002
i assume these tweets are about TJ/Faber.

Conor McGregor T @theNO toriousMMA 20h

• I predict these things.
  • I just turned two Duds into two draws.
  • I just know it's red panty night over at Zuffa right now! #GrudgeMatchOnMeBoys
  • Offspring numbers. On the house.
  • I love the business. I am the business.

TJ explains his move @ 16:50. Justin Buchholz is super Alpha Male and he's right there just understanding. sounds like he wants to keep teaching kickboxing at TAM but a couple Alpha Males are #HATTEN. wonder if the ones trippin are bantams.

Apr 25, 2002
Urijah speaking on TJ. sucks for TJ. TJ beats Cruz (if he don't get hurt) then defends the belt against Urijah. Urijah talkin about No Love going against TJ for the belt (if he makes it up the rankings obviously.)

TJ is sacrificing a lot. sacrificing Alpha Male is like sacrificing Bang. Elevation is the one that ain't needed. Thatch is good but his last 2 losses were by the Alpha Male specialty. Clay Guida's good but he trained with Alpha after he lost to Chad. i know they're paying him but the deciding factor was training with Bang.

@1:14

Feb 10, 2006
Tyrone Spong meets Jake Heun in return at WSOF 26 in Las Vegas in December

For the first time in more than two years, Tyrone Spong will return to the MMA cage in December.

Now he has his opponent. Elite-level kickboxer Spong (2-0) had been penciled in for a spot at WSOF 26, but a light heavyweight foe hadn’t been announced until now. He’ll face Jake Heun (8-4) on the card in Las Vegas. A WSOF official confirmed Spong’s opponent to MMAjunkie.

WSOF 26 takes place Dec. 18 at The Chelsea at The Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas. The main card will air on NBCSN following prelims on MMAjunkie. Tickets for WSOF 26 go on sale Friday through Ticketmaster and the venue box office. In the main event, featherweight champion Lance Palmer (10-1) is expected to defend his title against the winner of Saturday’s WSOF 24 fight between Alexandre Almeida (16-5) and Saul Almeida (18-5).

Spong has not had an MMA fight since WSOF 4 in August 2013. He’s spent much of the past year on the sidelines after he suffered a broken leg throwing a kick in a GLORY kickboxing match in August 2014.

The Blackzilians-trained fighter made his MMA debut at WSOF 1 and scored a first-round knockout of Travis Bartlett in November 2012. He returned in August 2013 for a decision victory over Angel DeAnda at WSOF 4.

Heun, from Alaska, has six stoppages in his eight career wins. He has victories in three of his last four fights and six of his past eight, and he’s 2-1 under the WSOF banner – including a submission of Davin Clark at WSOF 22 in August. That got him back in the win column after a submission loss to Clifford Starks at WSOF 19 in March.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
LMAO @ Mighty Mouse, first time ever there were more comped tickets than paid tickets. Especially bad considering it was Vegas.

From Dave Meltzer's news letter...

According to the Nevada State Athletic Commission, the 9/5 UFC 191 show (Demetrious Johnson vs. John Dodson for the flyweight title main event) did far less than what was announced that night as far as the gate went. After the show, UFC announced the crowd as 10,873 and the gate as $1,362,700. The commission records stated that paid attendance was 4,982, although total in the building was 10,768 with 5,786 comps, in a building set up for 15,529, and the gate was $1,018,573. It would be the lowest paid attendance ever for a PPV show in Las Vegas and one of the lowest since Zuffa bought the company. It would be the first time ever for a Las Vegas PPV that comps outnumbered paid tickets. As far as paid attendance, you may have to go back as far as UFC 30, on February 23, 2001, headlined by Tito Ortiz vs. Evan Tanner in Atlantic City for a lower paid crowd. There has never been a lower paid crowd for a PPV show in Las Vegas, although many TUF finals did significantly less than that paid in smaller buildings. The last time Las Vegas drew a lower gate for a PPV show was March 22, 2002, for UFC 36, headlined by Josh Barnett vs. Randy Couture, but that’s when ticket prices were half what they were for UFC 191.

Feb 10, 2006
After Miocic withdrawal, Ben Rothwell really, really wants to fight Junior Dos Santos

UFC heavyweight Ben Rothwell had an outline for his post-fight speech in the event he beat Stipe Miocic at UFC Fight Night 76.

He did not plan to laugh maniacally, as he did in his previous fight. That stuff is of the moment.

Rothwell (35-9 MMA, 5-3 UFC), however, planned to call for a fight with ex-champ Junior dos Santos (17-3 MMA, 11-2 UFC), the opponent he believes is the gateway to a title shot.

“Beating Stipe, I still know I’m questionable as the No. 1 contender, and how am I going to convince everybody? I have to beat Junior Dos Santos,” Rothwell today told MMAjunkie Radio. “That was the message. It would probably make it happen.”

But alas, Rothwell is now left to ponder his future after Miocic withdrew this week from the UFC Fight Pass-streamed card on Oct. 24 at 3Arena in Dublin. After the UFC failed to find a replacement opponent, the only thing he’ll be fighting is the crowds from the sold-out event.

Miocic (13-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) said he was “gutted” to pull out of the event, but couldn’t put his shoes on due to his injury. His manager, meanwhile, told MMAjunkie the injury wasn’t serious enough to keep him from fighting before the end of the year.

Rothwell said he had no animosity toward Miocic about the withdrawal despite his frustration over the shift, which leaves his future uncertain. He said the bulk of his potential opposition is already booked and unless he gets an injury-replacement slot, he might not be able to fight until February or March of 2016.

His desired opponent, Dos Santos, is one of those heavyweights that already has a fight. The ex-champ meets up with ex-Strikeforce champ Alistair Overeem in a long-delayed grudge match on Dec. 19 at UFC on FOX 17.

“I already put my name out there and said if somebody falls out in the Overeem or Dos Santos fight, I’ll be there,” Rothwell said. “I don’t wish anything bad to happen, but I really want to fight Junior Dos Santos. The whole thing would make sense if that happens.”

Rothwell’s previous opponent, Matt Mitrione, certainly made his voice heard online as he campaigned for a rematch. He claimed the UFC offered him the bout, which Rothwell disputes.

In any event, the veteran of “The Ultimate Fighter 10” is yet another heavyweight who is already booked for a fight, scheduled to face Travis Browne on Jan. 17 at UFC Fight Night 81. It’s for this reason, Rothwell said, that a rematch is off the table.

“Matt Mitrione was really campaigning for this thing, but he also knows that legally, he’s signed,” he said. “If he did fight and he got hurt, there’s legal issues right there. The whole thing is stupid.”

Mitrione claimed the UFC was willing to make a concession to put the bout together, inking a one-fight addendum to his contract, which had one fight remaining. Rothwell, however, said that’s not possible.

Furthermore, he indicated that a fight with with an opponent “behind me” isn’t worthwhile.

“It’s just being me before I was in the UFC,” he said. “It’s just another fight. These fights have to mean something.”

And to Rothwell, there’s only a few opponents that meet that criteria. There’s Andrei Arlovski, who enjoys a four-fight win streak and handed him a knockout loss in 2008, and there’s Junior Dos Santos.

Rothwell would like to announced to the UFC and fans that he can beat champions so they’ll let him fight one.

“I asked to fight a No. 1 contender,” he said. “Junior Dos Santos is a guy that beat Stipe; he is a guy that knocked out Cain Velasquez. That’s the fight that I need. It says everything with my actions. I let the world know who I am.”

Feb 10, 2006
Jason 'Mayhem' Miller back in jail after another alleged assault on police officer

SMH

Former UFC middleweight Jason Miller was arrested – again – today at his Southern California home after police responded to a disturbance call.

Police say “Mayhem” was arrested on a charge of assaulting a police officer with a deadly weapon. He is being held on $50,000 bail at the Orange County (Calif.) jail, according to a release from the Orange County Sheriff’s Department and booking records.

A press release from OCSD said officers heard a female screaming inside Miller’s house when they arrived. They then encountered an aggressive Miller, who reportedly threw a large ceramic tile at them and brandished a large fire extinguisher and metal pole before retreating to his backyard.

Officers shot Miller with a Taser, but the fight continued for eight minutes before he was subdued.

“Subsequent investigation determined an altercation had occurred between Miller and two females inside the house,” read the OCSD’s release. “Both females were interviewed and uncooperative with the investigation.”

It’s not by far Miller’s first brush with the law. The Strikeforce, DREAM and UFC vet, who once coached “The Ultimate Fighter 14” opposite Michael Bisping, has been arrested multiple times for confrontations with police.

In March, he was charged with resisting an officer by using violence, battery on the officers and resisting arrest after fighting with four officers at a restaurant where, police say, he broke a glass and walked off.

Then, one year ago, he live tweeted a police standoff that ended with SWAT team officers raiding his home and arresting him. He pled not guilty.

In 2012, cops found Miller sleeping naked inside a church that had been vandalized and arrested him after he reportedly resisted.

Earlier this year, Miller, 34, was featured on HBO’s “Real Sports” in a special on domestic violence in MMA. He gave a bizarre interview in which he smoked pot on camera and talked about the lack of background checks performed on fighters.

“Dude, your cuffed jeans are awesome,” he told the interviewer, “but I beat men up.”

Miller (28-9) hasn’t fought since 2012 at UFC 146, where he lost a unanimous decision to C.B. Dollaway.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
UFC is cleaning house. 23 fighters cut today with rumors of more coming.

Ivan Jorge
Francisco Trevino
Pawel Pawlak
Hernani Perpetuo
Vagner Rocha
David Michaud
Naoyuki Kotani
Amir Sadollah
Roger Narvaez
Chris Clements
Luke Zachrich
Soa Palelei
TJ Waldburger
William Macario
Eddie Gordon
Matt Van Buren
Leonardo Mafra
Christos Giagos
Ron Stallings
Roger Zapata
Joe Merritt
Lewis Gonzalez
Marcus Brimage

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
LMAO UFC Dublin is about to have the weakest Main Event in UFC History. First they lost Miocic vs. Rothwell, now they lose the main event 3 days before the event.

LMAO @ Paddy Holohan vs. Louis Smolka main eventing a UFC show. I don't even think that's a RFA worthy main event lol

UFC Statement on Joe Duffy | UFC &reg - News

"Due to a medical issue involving UFC lightweight Joe Duffy, the new main event of UFC FIGHT NIGHT in Ireland on Saturday will be a three-round bout featuring hometown hero Paddy Holohan vs. Louis Smolka.

"Having learned that Duffy received a strike to the head during training earlier this week, UFC sent him for medical tests in Ireland for precautionary purposes. The results determined that Duffy suffered a mild concussion and due to the proximity of the fight this Saturday UFC will not permit him to compete. The health and safety of UFC athletes will continue to be the top priority for the organization. As such, UFC has respected standard athletic commission regulations, which recommend a medical suspension from competition as a result of the concussion.

“Duffy’s original opponent, Dustin Poirier, will be rescheduled for another event. Fans seeking ticket refunds as a result of the main event changes can do so through Ticketmaster at the point of purchase.”

Apr 25, 2002
Dr. Ben Carson ‏@ RealBenCarson · 4h4 hours ago
A little pre-debate prep with former #UFC Light Heavyweight Champ @ vitorbelfort and team. Great sparring partner!

ABC News Politics ‏@ ABCPolitics · 4h4 hours ago
.@ RealBenCarson receives an endorsement from former UFC fighter @ vitorbelfort