MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Donald Cerrone vs. Rafael dos Anjos co-headlines UFC on FOX Sports 1 2 in Indy

Two highly ranked lightweights will clash in the co-main event of UFC on FOX Sports 1 2 in Indianapolis.

UFC officials today announced Donald Cerrone (20-5 MMA, 7-2 UFC) will meet fellow contender Rafael dos Anjos (19-6 MMA, 8-4 UFC) at the event. The announcement came via the Indianapolis Star.

UFC on FOX Sports 1 2 takes place Aug. 28. at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. The event's main card airs on the soon-to-debut FOX Sports 1. Broadcast plans for the preliminary card haven't been announced.

Cerrone is currently ranked No. 11 and dos Anjos No. 14 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA lightweight rankings.

Cerrone recently scored a dominant and bloody unanimous-decision victory over K.J. Noons at UFC 160 to move to 3-1 in his past four fights. The other victories came over Melvin Guillard and Jeremy Stephens. The former WEC title challenger and well-rounded Greg Jackson protege has been one of Zuffa's biggest bonus collectors during his six years with the company. His 11 WEC and UFC fight-night awards have resulted in $410,000 in extra pay.

He now meets dos Anjos, a veteran who's finally emerged as a legit contender following a four-fight win streak. He picked up perhaps his most important win to date when he recently edged Evan Dunham at UFC on FX 8, though nearly every major media outlet scored it for Dunham. Still, the Brazilian has proven a top-level lightweight following wins over the likes of Mark Bocek, George Sotiropoulos and Terry Etim in recent years.

The latest UFC on FOX Sports 1 2 card includes: Carlos Condit vs. Martin Kampmann
Carlos Condit vs. Martin Kampmann
Donald Cerrone vs. Rafael dos Anjos
James Head vs. Bobby Voelker
Sarah Kaufman vs. Sara McMann
Kelvin Gastelum vs. Paulo Thiago
Robert McDaniel vs. Brad Tavares

side note: would've love to see cerrone n thompson instead, from what he did to nate diaz in his last fight and how cerrone struggled against diaz

Last edited:

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Former UFC champ B.J. Penn could return – as a lightweight

Although UFC President Dana White has pressed hard for the fighter's retirement, B.J. Penn apparently is looking for another fight, and it'd likely come at lightweight.

"UFC Tonight," the UFC's weekly news program on FUEL TV, reported the possibility on Tuesday.

Penn (16-9-2 MMA, 12-8-2 UFC), a former lightweight and welterweight champion in the UFC, hasn't fought since a bloody UFC on FOX 5 loss to 170-pound contender Rory MacDonald in December. The defeat moved the 34-year-old "Prodigy" to just 1-4-1 in his past six fights.

Before the defeat, the future hall of famer was on a 5-1 run that included a successful stint as the organization's 155-pound champion. The lone defeat came to Georges St-Pierre as Penn tried to recapture the welterweight championship and become the first UFC fighter to simultaneously hold two titles.

As MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps*–*MMAjunkie.com) reported this past month, White, though, is pushing for Penn to hang it up.

"I want B.J. Penn to retire," he said. " ... B.J. is too tough for his own good.

"B.J. might not be knocked out, but the shots B.J. took would've knocked out a normal human being. He's had his head bounced off the canvas like a basketball by Matt Hughes, by Georges St-Pierre and then Rory just did it to him. B.J. Penn has left that octagon looking like a f---ing alien. He's too tough for his own good. You don't knock out B.J. Penn. B.J. Penn absorbs every amount of punishment you give him. It doesn't mean he hasn't been taking damage. He's taken a lot of damage, and I don't want to see him take anymore."

While Penn's legendary career has the fighter set for life, White, who's dealt with the recent retirements of fellow notables such as Chuck Liddell and Forrest Griffin, said he understands their desire to fight on.

"Dude, you've won belts in two different weight classes," he said. "You're one of the greatest ever. You became a huge superstar. You have money. You have a beautiful family. But it's hard, man. It's hard to walk out of that. The arena's packed, everybody's screaming your name, and you're making tons of money. It's hard to walk away from that – really hard to walk away from that."

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
How a drunken tradition led UFC on FUEL TV 10's Ronny Markes to wrong birth name

lol

Here's something you might not know about UFC on FUEL TV 10 fighter Ronny Markes: His actual name is Ronny Marki (or Ronny Marki Sales da Silva, to be specific).

So how has that middle name – the one that he now uses as his last name when fighting in the world's biggest MMA promotion – been wrong for the past 25 years?

Alcohol, the fighter said with a laugh.

"It's a curious thing," the Brazilian fighter told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps*–*MMAjunkie.com). "Here in Brazil, people like to commemorate the birth of a new child with lots of alcohol. So when [my father] registered my birth, he wrote my middle name as 'Marki' even though it was supposed to be 'Markes.'"

In other words, don't drink, kids. (And don't drink when you have kids, kids.)

Markes (14-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC) looks for his fourth straight UFC win when he meets fellow middleweight Derek Brunson (10-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) at Saturday's UFC on FUEL TV 10 event. Their preliminary-card bout streams on Facebook prior to the FUEL TV-televised main card from Paulo Sarasate Arena in Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil.

Even though his birth certificate says otherwise, Markes has been using the current spelling for as long as he can remember. But after Saturday's bout, where he fights in his home country, he plans to get it formally corrected.

"My mother always told me it was 'Markes,' and I always liked that better since I was a child, especially since that was supposed to be my name to begin with," he said. "So when I get back home from this fight, I'm taking care of that."

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
UFC 162 fight card finalized, Mark Munoz vs. Tim Boetsch in featured prelim by MMAjun

The fight card for next month's UFC 162 event is set with the official lineups for the FX and Facebook portions of the preliminary card.

UFC 162 takes place July 6 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main card, including a middleweight title fight between champion Anderson Silva (33-4 MMA, 16-0 UFC) and challenger Chris Weidman (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC), airs on pay-per-view.

Prior to the five-bout PPV lineup, seven fights take place on the prelims.

The featured prelim includes two middleweight contenders: Tim Boetsch (15-6 MMA, 7-4 UFC) vs. Mark Munoz (12-3 MMA, 7-3 UFC).
Munoz fights for the first time in a year following a July 2012 knockout loss to Chris Weidman, which spoiled his title hopes and a four-fight win streak. Boetsch, meanwhile, had a four-fight win streak of his own snapped in December when he suffered a TKO loss to Constantinos Philippou. Both look to get back in the title picture with a win at UFC 162.

The full UFC 162 card includes:

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)

Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman - for middleweight title
Frankie Edgar vs. Charles Oliveira
Roger Gracie vs. Tim Kennedy
Chan Sung Jung vs. Ricardo Lamas
Dennis Siver vs. Cub Swanson

PRELIMINARY CARD (FX, 8 p.m. ET)

Tim Boetsch vs. Mark Munoz
Andrew Craig vs. Chris Leben
Norman Parke vs. Kazuki Tokudome
Edson Barboza vs. Rafaello Oliveira

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 6:30 p.m. ET)

Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Dave Herman
Seth Baczynski vs. Brian Melancon
David Mitchell vs. Mike Pierce

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
UFC's Khabib Nurmagomedov, Evan Dunham want possible B.J. Penn matchup

If B.J. Penn does extend his career and make a potential return to the UFC lightweight division, two notable 155-pounders have offered their services for a fight.

Following Tuesday's report on FUEL TV's "UFC Tonight" that Penn is considering another fight, likely at lightweight, both Khabib Nurmagomedov and Evan Dunham expressed their desire for the matchup.

As Nurmagomedov tweeted: "I heard that the legend returns .. I will be glad to meet him. He is the best lightweight fighter in the history, I'm his fan since childhood, I deserve this fight."

Dunham echoed those sentiments: "With all respect if BJ Penn needs an opponent when he returns I am more than will. Would be an honor to fight him."

Penn (16-9-2 MMA, 12-8-2 UFC), a former UFC lightweight and welterweight champion, hasn't fought since a bloody UFC on FOX 5 loss to 170-pound contender Rory MacDonald in December. The defeat moved the 34-year-old "Prodigy" to just 1-4-1 in his past six fights.

But his legendary career has made him one of the most recognizable names in the sport. And for a younger fighter, it's a great opportunity to notch a signature win in a high-profile bout.

Currently, Nurmagomedov (20-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) is ranked No. 15 and Dunham (14-4 MMA, 7-4 UFC) is an honorable mention in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA lightweight rankings. Nurmagomedov is undefeated with four consecutive UFC victories, which included a pair over veterans Gleison Tibau and Thiago Tavares. Dunham, meanwhile, recently suffered a controversial decision loss to Rafael dos Anjos. Prior to the May loss, he was on a 3-1 run that included two "Fight of the Night" awards.

Feb 10, 2006
UFC, WEC veteran Diego Nunes signs with Bellator MMA

UFC and WEC veteran Diego Nunes (18-4) will take the next step in his career with Bellator MMA.

Sources close to the promotion on Monday confirmed the featherweight's signing, which is expected to be made official soon. Brazilian outlet Ataque Total first reported the news.

Nunes was released from the UFC this past winter following a unanimous decision loss to Nik Lentz at UFC on FX 7 in Brazil. That loss gave him two decision setbacks in three fights.

Overall, Nunes, from Brazil, went 3-3 in his stint with the UFC, but his most recent win streak came in 2010-11, when he had a three-fight run with victories over Raphael Assuncao and Tyler Toner in the WEC and a split-decision win over Mike Brown in his UFC debut..

Nunes started his pro MMA career 11-0, all in his home country. He then signed with the WEC, where he went 4-1 before the merger with the UFC.

Although his first 11 wins all came by stoppage, he went 7-4 under the Zuffa banner with all 11 fights going the distance. At UFC 131, after his three-fight streak, he met Kenny Florian in an unofficial title eliminator. He lost a unanimous decision in a competitive fight, and Florian went on to a title shot against champion Jose Aldo.

The highlight of Nunes' Zuffa tenure may have been a "Fight of the Night" performance against Bart Palaszewski at UFC on FX 5 this past October.

Bellator begins its ninth season in September on Spike TV. Current featherweight champion Pat Curran is waiting on a title fight against Daniel Straus, then Magomedrasul Khasbulaev.

The next featherweight tournament could feature Nunes, and three wins there would have him in line for a shot at the 145-pound belt.

Feb 10, 2006
Greg Jackson applauds Chael Sonnen's 'tactical brilliance' if Jones claim true

So Chael Sonnen fooled the world into thinking he didn't know whether Dan Henderson was injured leading up to UFC 151, or he fooled the world into thinking he did.

Either way, Greg Jackson can't hate.

"I don't know if that's true, but I'd like to think it is," the trainer today told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps*–*MMAjunkie.com) in response to Sonnen's recent claim he had advance notice of his former Team Quest teammate's knee injury and "set up" Jackson's pupil, light-heavyweight champ Jon Jones.

"I think Chael is very smart, and that would be another testament to that fact," Jackson said. "I love the guy, and if he did indeed control the situation like that, it shows real tactical brilliance.

"He could also just be messing around, which is funny as hell. Who knows? Either way, I wish him the best."

Given Sonnen's penchant for outrageous claims, it would be ill-advised to take at face value his recent statement, which he gave during a Sunday edition of "UFC Tonight: Fight Edition." Henderson couldn't be reached for comment.

During his appearance, Sonnen (27-13-1 MMA, 6-6 UFC) changed his tune on a previous declaration that he was unaware of Henderson's condition while talking about his upcoming fight with Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (21-7 MMA, 5-5 UFC) at UFC on FOX Sports 1 1, which takes place Aug. 17 in Boston.

Sonnen was slotted to face Rua when Antonio Rogerio Nogueira bowed out due to injury. The two were expected to potentially meet at this week's UFC 161 card, but visa issues kept Sonnen from getting into Canada for the fight and they instead were booked for August.

"It really got put together through [Nogueira's] cowardice," he said. "I've been training for 'Shogun' for a while. I knew this was going to happen. This kind of reminds me of the time me and Dan Henderson set up Jon Jones on eight days' notice."

If true, the statement would cast a slightly different light on an infamous event in MMA history. The UFC canceled UFC 151, which was scheduled to take place Sept. 1 in Las Vegas, after it was confirmed that Henderson had been injured and Jones had declined to fight Sonnen on short notice.

Sonnen then claimed he had no advance notice of Henderson's woe and took Jones to task for turning down the fight. UFC President Dana White, meanwhile, blasted Jackson for advising Jones not to take the short-notice opponent.

Later, Jackson claimed that Sonnen and Henderson were in cahoots and that Sonnen had been training for the bout. Henderson denied that claim in an interview with MMAFighting.com.

Jones and Sonnen eventually met at UFC 159, where Jones (18-1 MMA, 12-1 UFC) won a lopsided first-round TKO and injured his toe in the process. He is expected to return later this year to defend his title against Alexander Gustafsson (15-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC).

Feb 10, 2006
UFC's Teixeira: Yes to Jones, Bader, Henderson, Evans – no to Machida, Sonnen

Glover Teixeira likes his odds against UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones. (In fact, you may be surprised just how heavily he favors himself if they were to fight.) But knowing the champ is likely to fight Alexander Gustafsson next, Teixeira discussed what other matchups pique his interest.

Teixeira, who's won 19 consecutive fights overall and four straight since joining the UFC, awaits his next challenge following a first-round submission victory over James Te Huna this past month at UFC 160.

Teixeira (21-2 MMA, 4-0 UFC), who's ranked No. 7 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA light-heavyweight rankings, knows he probably needs another win or two to get a crack at the belt, but if a Jones fight actually materialized?

"I am very confident," he said this past weekend in Brazil. "If my next fight was against Jones, for sure I would go in to win. I give myself a 99 percent chance (of winning)."

But with fellow contender Gustafsson all but assured the bout, Teixeira is focusing elsewhere. One fight he'll be watching closely? Saturday's UFC 161 headliner between former big-show champs Dan Henderson and Rashad Evans. But Teixeira also still has his eye on Ryan Bader, who was scheduled to fight the Brazilian at UFC 160 before an injury forced Bader off the card.

Just don't expect Teixeira to fight ex-champ Lyoto Machida.

"One of the top fighters is Ryan Bader," Teixeira said. "I was going to face him, but he got hurt. It could still be my next fight.

"But there's also the winner of Rashad vs. Dan Henderson. I hope it's one of those guys. I would not fight against Lyoto. He's a great friend. I wouldn't even think about it. And Gustafsson‎ is further ahead. I think he's next in line. So I think it's those three (Bader, Evans or Henderson). Whatever comes our way, we're feeling confident."

In addition to Machida, Teixeira said there's another 205-pounder he has no interest in fighting – but for very different reasons.

As Teixeira sees it, Chael Sonnen is a nice enough guy. He just doesn't see the former UFC middleweight and light-heavyweight title challenger as being anywhere near the top of the division. Granted, Sonnen recently was booked for an August headliner with Mauricio Rua at UFC on FOX Sports 1 1 in Boston. But even if he were available, Teixeira said there's little upside in fighting him.

"Chael Sonnen, in reality, I know him a bit," he said. "He's not that arrogant. He actually seems like a cool guy. I can't say much because I don't know him that well. But when I run into him at events, he's very cool.

"He likes to talk a lot to sell his fights. I think he's doing the right thing since he doesn't fight so well. I do think he has good wrestling, but lately he hasn't been fighting so well. And he had two shots at a belt because he talks a lot. I don't think he's a bad guy. If I fought him, he'd be tough to beat. But, right now, since he's coming off two losses, I have zero interest in fighting him."

Feb 10, 2006
Cole Miller vs. Manny Gamburyan slated for UFC on FOX Sports 1 1

A featherweight bout between Cole Miller (19-7 MMA, 8-5 UFC) and Many Gamburyan (12-7 MMA, 3-5 UFC) is the 13th, and likely final, addition to August's stacked UFC on FOX Sports 1 1 lineup.

Officials today announced the bout.

UFC on FOX Sports 1 1 takes place Aug. 17 at TD Garden in Boston. It's the promotion's debut show on the new cable network, which launches the same day.

Miller vs. Gamburyan likely will be part of the Facebook-streamed prelims.

Miller recently recently earned a slick first-round submission victory over Bart Palaszewski at The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale. "The Ultimate Fighter 15" cast member halted a two-fight losing streak and a 1-3 skid with the much-needed victory, which marked his 14th submission in 19 career wins.

Gamburyan, meanwhile, halted a three-fight losing streak with a decision victory over Michihiro Omigawa. However, the oft-injured fighter and former WEC title challenger hasn't been in action since that August victory after planned matchups with Chad Mendes and Hacran Dias didn't materialize due to various ailments.

The latest UFC on FOX Sports 1 1 card now includes:

MAIN CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)

•Mauricio Rua vs. Chael Sonnen
•Travis Browne vs. Alistair Overeem
•Yuri Alcantara vs. Urijah Faber
•Thiago Alves vs. Matt Brown
•Uriah Hall vs. Nick Ring
•Michael Johnson vs. Joe Lauzon
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 6 p.m. ET)

•Michael McDonald vs. Brad Pickett
•Mike Brown vs. Akira Corassani
•Conor McGregor vs. Andy Ogle
•Diego Brandao vs. Daniel Pineda
PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 4:30 p.m. ET)

•Manny Gamburyan vs. Cole Miller
•Cody Donovan vs. Ovince St. Preux
•Ramsey Nijem vs. James Vick

Feb 10, 2006
UFC boss confirms Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson up next, targeted for fall

As expected, Alexander Gustafsson (15-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) is next up for UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones (18-1 MMA, 12-1 UFC), and the fight will take place in the fall.

That's according to UFC President Dana White, who recently confirmed the long-rumored plans via Twitter.

The booking, which had been put on hold as Jones recovers from a nasty toe injury and ligament damage suffered in his April title defense over Chael Sonnen, doesn't have a specific date or event yet, though it's likely to headline a pay-per-view event.

Currently, UFC 165 is slated for Sept. 21 at Toronto's Air Canada Centre, and the event doesn't have a headliner. But it may be too soon for Jones, and the fight could take place in October instead.

Jones is ranked No. 1 and Gustafsson No. 6 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA light-heavyweight rankings. Jones is also ranked No. 2 in the pound-for-pound rankings behind middleweight champ Anderson Silva.

After winning the title from Mauricio Rua at UFC 128, Jones has successfully defended the belt against Quinton Jackson, Lyoto Machida, Rashad Evans and Vitor Belfort before making quick work of Sonnen, who was stopped with elbows and punches in the first round. Since a disqualification loss to Matt Hamill in 2009, Jones has won nine straight fights with eight stoppages. Only Evans went the distance.

White previously mentioned Jones as a candidate for a cross-division superfight for this year, but for now, any such plans appear to be on hold.

Gustafsson, meanwhile, is on a six-fight win streak since his lone career loss, which came to now-teammate Phil Davis in 2010. He claimed No. 1 contender's status with recent decision victories over Thiago Silva and ex-champ Rua. Gustafsson was slated to fight Gegard Mousasi in April's UFC on FUEL TV 9 headliner but wasn't medically cleared due to facial a cut. The Jones title fight would be the Swede's first bout of 2013.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
CSAC Bans TRT Exemptions For MMA Fighters Until Further Notice

The War on Drugs: California Ruling Strikes Down TRT Exemptions for MMA Fighters Until Further Notice | | Cagepotato

A decision made during a California State Athletic Commission meeting in Los Angeles on Monday could have a major impact on the ongoing testosterone replacement therapy debate in MMA. Among the topics covered during the eight-hour session was a new proposed rule that would standardize the process for obtaining therapeutic use exemptions for testosterone. But the rule was successfully challenged by Department of Consumer Affairs lawyer Michael Santiago. As FightOpinion reports:

“[Santiago] said that until there is a statute/regulation on the books regarding testosterone that the commission should not be using an ‘underground’ policy of approving T usage. He argued that testosterone is considered a banned substance.

The end result is that fighters like Dan Henderson, Chael Sonnen, and Frank Mir will not be allowed to use testosterone while fighting in California until a law is on the books that explicitly spells out approval for T usage…[T]he UFC will be furious about this development given how many guys they have fighting in California who love testosterone. Vitor Belfort’s sympathy plea for continued testosterone usage means he won’t be fighting in California any time soon…

Santiago’s position will now put UFC in an interesting dilemma — will they huff and bluff by backing away from running shows in California or will they accept the new reality on the ground? If UFC backs away from California, it will cost the commission’s budget big time. UFC wants to talk tough about testosterone usage now, so let’s see if they will back up their public talk by walking the walk with future California events.”

At the moment, the UFC does not have any events scheduled in the state of California through September, and you have to wonder if they’ll keep their distance for the time being, if only to save themselves the hassle. Though UFC president Dana White has come out strongly against hormone-replacement therapy among fighters in his promotion, marquee fighters like Vitor Belfort, Dan Henderson, and Chael Sonnen continue to use TRT as a prerequisite for competition.

The good news is, the California ruling could be the first real step towards a more level playing field in the sport. We’ll keep you posted.

Feb 10, 2006
Champ Cain Velasquez vs. Junior dos Santos III likely at UFC 166 in Houston

WINNIPEG – The rubber match between UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos (16-2 MMA, 10-1 UFC) and ex-titleholder Cain Velasquez (12-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) is expected to take place in October in Houston, likely at UFC 166.

UFC President Dana White today laid out the plans at UFC 161's open workouts in Winnipeg.

Although a date and venue weren't given for the title fight, it'll take place in an arena, not a stadium such as Cowboys Stadium. That makes Toyota Center, which hosted UFC 136 in 2011, a strong possibility.

Despite the smaller venue, the pay-per-view event is likely to be a big one for the UFC.

Velasquez is No. 1 and dos Santos No. 2 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA heavyweight rankings. Additionally, Velasquez is No. 8 and dos Santos No. 11 in the pound-for-pound rankings.

The fighters set up the trilogy this past month at UFC 160 when Velasquez stopped Antonio Silva in the headliner and dos Santos knocked out Mark Hunt in the co-headliner. The bout was considered a title eliminator for dos Santos.

Velasquez and dos Santos first met at UFC on FOX 1 in November 2011, when dos Santos stopped Velasquez in just 64 seconds. That was Velasquez's first defense of the belt after taking it from Brock Lesnar.

In their rematch at UFC 155, though, Velasquez dominated dos Santos for five rounds to win the belt back. His win over Silva marked his first successful title defense.

Feb 10, 2006
Champ Georges St-Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks targeted for November in Las Vegas

WINNIPEG – The long-awaited title fight between welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre (24-2 MMA, 18-2 UFC) and challenger Johny Hendricks (15-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) is likely to take place in November in Las Vegas, possibly as UFC 167.

UFC President Dana White today confirmed the tentative plans at UFC 161's open workouts in Winnipeg.

An exact date and venue for the pay-per-view event haven't been determined, and the event number could change depending on how the rest of the UFC's fall schedule shapes up.

St-Pierre currently is ranked No. 1 and Hendricks No. 2 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA welterweight rankings. Additionally, St-Pierre is No. 3 and Hendricks No. 10 in the pound-for-pound rankings.

Hendricks has been gunning for the title shot for nearly two years now.

The challenger beat Carlos Condit in March at UFC 158 and immediately was promised the next title shot. On the same card, St-Pierre beat Nick Diaz in the main event in his home city of Montreal. Diaz had jumped ahead of Hendricks in line for the shot at the longtime champ despite coming back from a yearlong suspension and a loss to Condit in his previous outing.

Hendricks now has won six straight bouts, which includes impressive first-round knockouts of Jon Fitch and Martin Kampmann.

St-Pierre, meanwhile, has defended his title eight consecutive times. His win over Diaz came after a long layoff due to a knee injury and subsequent surgery.

Although St-Pierre is frequently used as a headliner for Canadian cards, White said he wanted to bring the popular French-Canadian fighter to Sin City for his next bout. It appears it'll now come to fruition.

Feb 10, 2006
Josh Thomson courts more controversy with statement on gay-marriage comments

In trying to quell controversy over a series of comments on social media sites about gay marriage, UFC fighter Josh Thomson may have made things worse.

One day after expressing concern that legalizing gay marriage would lead to polygamy and adults marrying children, the veteran lightweight deleted his posts and issued a press release stating that his comments were taken out of context by members of the media.

The release said Thomson was using social media to "poll" fans on "what turned out to be a controversial and thought provoking topic."

"It was not my intention to offend or hurt anyone," he stated.

But while Thomson stated that he isn't against marriage, he continued to defend the logic presented in his initial posts, which were made on Twitter and Facebook.

"With organizations fighting for legalized polygamy and the North American Man/Boy Love Association fighting for rights of their own, the line between equality and controversy becomes very thin," the release stated. "Mr. Thomson was merely giving extreme examples of very real movements in our country but he in no way meant to isolate the gay community in a negative manner."

Asked to comment on Thomson's recent postings, the UFC deferred MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps*–*MMAjunkie.com) to his publicist, Heidi Seibert, who was unavailable for comment. Attempts to reach Thomson were unsuccessful.

It would appear Thomson's statements violate the UFC's code of conduct, which bar "inappropriate physical, verbal, or online behavior," though UFC President Dana White previously has defended fighters who were expressing personal opinions as opposed to directly insulting groups.

Thomson (20-5 MMA, 3-1 UFC), a former Strikeforce champion, returned to the UFC in April with a triumphant knockout of Nate Diaz at UFC on FOX 7, which catapulted him up to No. 7 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA lightweight rankings.

Feb 10, 2006
Diego Sanchez off UFC 164, targeted for fall bout with Gilbert Melendez

Diego Sanchez won't be fighting at UFC 164 in Milwaukee after all, but the fight lined up for him might be worth a little bit longer of a wait.

Sanchez (24-5 MMA, 13-5 UFC) in April told MMAjunkie.com Radio (MMA Radio, UFC Radio - MMAjunkie Radio*–*MMAjunkie.com) he had been penciled in for an August fight against an opponent to be determined. But with less than three months until that card and no opponent yet, Sanchez won't be heading to Wisconsin this summer.

Instead, multiple sources close to the fighters on Thursday told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps*–*MMAjunkie.com) that Sanchez is targeted for a fight against former Strikeforce champion Gilbert Melendez (21-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) this fall, likely in October or November.

UFC 164 takes place Aug. 31 at Bradley Center in Milwaukee with a lightweight title fight between Benson Henderson and T.J. Grant.

The UFC's fall schedule got a little clearer on Thursday when UFC President Dana White said the company would be heading to Houston in October, likely for UFC 166, and to Las Vegas in November. The Sanchez-Melendez fight could wind up on one of those two shows, which do not yet have dates attached to them – just headlining title fights.

Sanchez is coming off a close split-decision win over Takanori Gomi in March at UFC on FUEL TV 8 in his return to the lightweight division after a 2-2 run at welterweight. Sanchez missed weight for the fight, making it a 158-pound catchweight bout. At welterweight, he beat Paulo Thiago and Martin Kampmann, but dropped fights to John Hathaway and Jake Ellenberger.

The move back up to welterweight to begin with for the Season 1 middleweight winner of "The Ultimate Fighter" came after losing a lightweight title fight to B.J. Penn in 2009.

Melendez will be fighting for the first time since an April lightweight title fight split-decision loss to champion Benson Henderson at UFC on FOX 7. The former longtime Strikeforce 155-pound champ made his UFC debut in the fight.

Coincidentally, Sanchez told MMAjunkie.com Radio that Melendez was an opponent he'd be interested in fighting on the Milwaukee card. Now he'll get him, just a little bit later.

Props: B-Buzz
Feb 10, 2006
'Korean Zombie' replaces Anthony Pettis, meets champ Jose Aldo at UFC 163

fuccin bullshit!!!!!!!!

A knee injury has forced Anthony Pettis (16-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) out of August's UFC 163 main event, and "The Korean Zombie" Chan Sung Jung (13-3 MMA, 3-0 UFC) has stepped in as an injury replacement and will now fight UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo (22-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) for the title.

UFC President Dana White today announced the news.

UFC 163 takes place Aug. 3 at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

Jung initially was slated to fight fellow contender Ricardo Lamas at UFC 162 next month, but the bout has been scratched. Lamas said he had no comment when contacted today by MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps*–*MMAjunkie.com).

According to Pettis on Twitter: "Injuries are part of the sport. Small tear in my meniscus. I was so ready for this fight, this won't stop me!back soon."

Aldo is riding a 15-fight win streak that includes eight straight WEC/UFC title defenses. He's looked downright dominant as he's breezed through one notable challenger after another. His UFC title defenses have come over the likes of Mark Hominick, Kenny Florian, Chad Mendes and Frankie Edgar.

Jung, a former WEC contender, is undefeated since his move over to the UFC. The Korean fighter has topped Leonard Garcia, Hominick and Dustin Poirier under the UFC banner. The bout with Poirier, which earned "Fight of the Year" awards, came in May 2012 and marks his most recent appearance due to injuries.

Aldo is ranked No. 1 and Jung is No. 6 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA featherweight rankings. Lamas is actually three spots ahead of Jung at No. 3.

The full UFC 163 card includes:
Champ Jose Aldo vs. Chan Sung Jung - for featherweight title
Phil Davis vs. Lyoto Machida
Josh Koscheck vs. Demian Maia
Cezar Ferreira vs. Clint Hester
Vinny Magalhaes vs. Anthony Perosh
Sheila Gaff vs. Amanda Nunes
Neil Magny vs. Sergio Moraes
Thales Leites vs. Tom Watson
Josh Clopton vs. Rani Yahya
Robert Drysdale vs. Ednaldo Oliveira
Ian McCall vs. Iliarde Santos