MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 30, 2003
that's the best interview I've ever seen. Sonnen's my favorite fighter now.

"Wanderlei, you're an immigrant from Brazil, I am a gangster from America. Are you sure you want to play that game with me? Listen Wanderlei, I will pull a home invasion on you. I will cut the power to your house and the next thing you hear will be me climbing up your stairs in a pair of night vision goggles I bought in the back of Soldier of Fortune magazine. I'll pick the lock to the master bedroom door, *CH-CH* take a picture of you in bed with the Nogueira brothers working on your "jiu jitsu". I'll take said photograph, post it at www.dorksfrombrazil.com- Password: not required. Username: not required. That, Wanderlei, is how you threaten somebody. Dummy."
LOL!!!

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Kim Couture got scissor choked and started convulsing pretty bad

Falcao got a 50 second KO in his first fight since being cut the UFC for legal troubles

Middleeasy.com's Sunday Morning Rumor Mill
- A highly decorated jiu-jitsu player is a few days away from putting the absolute beatdown on someone from The Underground. News will most likely surface later this week.
- On Monday we'll know a little bit more on Nate Marquardt's career, but it's heavily rumored that Bjorn Rebney has been talking with Marquardt about fighting in the organization and granting him an instant fight with Hector Lombard.
- Howard Stern fans are going to love this. Last Friday I was told that Scott Ferrall is being targeted as a commentator or announcer for a new MMA promotion that will have their first event at some point in 2011.
- A new in-house UFC production team will be hired to create the UFC 137: Diaz vs. GSP promos leading up to the event.
- Another heavy rumor, but there may be some sort of M-1 Global co-promotion with ProElite in the near future. If not a co-promotion, the company may be a 'partner' of ProElite.
- Mark Pavelich's offer of selling MFC for $3.2 million still stands. It wasn't a publicity stunt.

Jan 7, 2004
Yeah that ref is being investigated for that BS. I don't think the ref even realized it was a submission, it was held around 15 seconds after she went limp. This is why it is important for judges to be educated.

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
Carlos Condit vs. B.J. Penn in the works for fall UFC event

A welterweight matchup between Carlos Condit (27-5 MMA, 4-1 UFC) and B.J. Penn (16-7-2 MMA, 12-6-2 UFC) is in the works for a fall UFC event.

And if you believe everything you read on Twitter, it's practically a done deal.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has confirmed with multiple sources close to the promotion that preliminary offers have been made to the fighters, but at least one party has yet to formally agree to the matchup. Nevertheless, on Twitter both combatants seem to think it's a go.

"The people have spoken," Condit wrote on his Twitter account. "They want to see us scrap. Let's give 'em what they asked for."

"Yup," Penn's reply read. "Let's do it!"

Penn's Twitter account suggested the fight would take place at UFC 137, which is scheduled for Oct. 29 in Las Vegas. Sources indicated that fight was not yet a certainty, even if both fighters agree to the contest.

Penn was initially rumored to take part in a rematch with Jon Fitch (23-3-1 MMA, 13-1-1 UFC). However, Penn's Twitter account today suggested UFC brass isn't interested in the contest.

"Tried to make it happen, but Joe Silva said, 'The fans don't want it, and I'm not interested," Penn's stated. "Not much more I can do on my end."

Fitch and Penn each fought most recently at this past February's UFC 127 event, where they fought to a majority draw. A rematch was planned for UFC 132, which took place earlier this month, but an injury forced Fitch's withdrawal. Penn elected to withdraw from the card, as well, rather than seek a new opponent.

Meanwhile, Condit, a former WEC welterweight champion, has made a quick climb up the UFC's 170-pound rankings with four-straight victories, including three-consecutive knockout wins. The past two, first-round stoppages of Dong Hyun Kim and Dan Hardy, each scored Condit the evening's "Knockout of the Night."

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic vs. Roy Nelson targeted for UFC 137

It could be a "loser leaves town" match.

On the heels of multiple setbacks, heavyweights Roy Nelson (15-6 MMA, 2-2 UFC) and Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (27-9-2 MMA, 3-3 UFC) are expected to fight at UFC 137, which takes place Oct. 29 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

Filipovic today broke the news in an interview with Croatian sports show "Gol," and sources close to the event today confirmed the matchup with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Nelson is back in business after back-to-back losses against Junior Dos Santos at UFC 117 and former UFC heavyweight champ Frank Mir at UFC 130, the latter of which put his career in the big-man division in question. Appearing exhausted after the first round of the fight, which Mir took in a lopsided unanimous decision, Nelson was openly criticized by UFC president Dana White.

"I thought Roy looked terrible tonight," White told MMAjunkie.com following UFC 130. "I thought it was terrible. I thought it was embarrassing.

"I don't know (what Nelson's future holds). I have a meeting with him on Friday, and we'll see what happens."

White indicated that things had been smoothed over after the meeting. But Nelson's path was unknown until today.

Of course, Nelson contends that his exhaustion was the result of walking pneumonia he contracted in the buildup to UFC 130, and his loss to Dos Santos was directly attributable to a knee injury he suffered early in the fight.

Nevertheless, a win over Filipovic is critical. And so it is for "Cro Cop," who was knocked out cold a second consecutive time in his most recent appearance at UFC 128 against Brendan Schaub. Following that scary scene, which followed a last-second knockout against Frank Mir at UFC 119, White went as far as to say Filipovic's fighting career was done.

However, White softened that stance in recent interviews, stating that he owed the former PRIDE open-weight champion another fight on his current contract and that would fulfill the terms of the deal.

But without an impressive win, the fall fight is undoubtedly Filipovic's last time to shine.

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
Cheick Kongo vs. Matt Mitrione targeted for UFC 137 in Las Vegas

Heavyweights Cheick Kongo (16-6-2 MMA, 9-4-1 UFC) and Matt Mitrione (5-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) have agreed to meet at UFC 137 in October.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed the bout with event sources, who said a Mitrione vs. Dave Herman bout also was considered. ESPN.com first reported the Kongo-Mitrione matchup.

UFC 137 takes place Oct. 29 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

The night's main card, including a Georges St-Pierre vs. Nick Diaz welterweight-championship headliner, airs on pay-per-view. Kongo vs. Mitrione likely will be part of the broadcast.

Kongo fights for the first time his stunning victory over Mitrione's teammate, Pat Barry, at UFC on Versus 4 back in June. Barry battered Kongo and nearly forced a TKO stoppage on multiple occasions, but the still-dazed Frenchman somehow connected with two stiff rights that dropped Barry and forced a first-round stoppage.

Since back-to-back losses to now-champ Cain Velasquez and ex-titleholder Frank Mir in 2009, Kongo is undefeated in his past three fights with an additional submission victory (due to strikes) over Paul Buentello and a draw with Travis Browne.

Mitrione, meanwhile, looks to continue his momentum since his semifinal finish on "The Ultimate Fighter 10." The Duke Roufus-trained fighter and NFL vet recently scored a vicious second-round knockout of hard-hitting Christian Morecraft at UFC on Versus 4 for his fifth victory in five fights, all of which have come in the UFC. Only one of the fights ended in a manner other than knockout.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
they announced a bunch of good fights today.

UFC 136: Edgar vs. Maynard, Aldo vs. Florian, Guillard vs. Lauzon, Maia vs Santiago, Pee Wee vs. Russow, Grispi vs. Grice
UFC 137: BJ vs Condit
Strikeforce 9/10: Bigfoot vs Reem & Barnett vs Sergei. Plus they already have Jacare vs Rockhold, Mousasi vs Kyle, King Mo vs Roger Gracie and Maxi vs Thomson. Insane card.

Feb 10, 2006
The way I see it tho is how come they don't have a ufc supercard? Meaning they're all close in months why not put a bj n condit fight with the gsp n diaz fight? Or jds n cain fight? Rampage n jones is just a month b4 the 136 card anywayz, u know? They would get the highest ratings ever imo...if not close to the ufc 100 shyt.

Jan 7, 2004
The way I see it tho is how come they don't have a ufc supercard? Meaning they're all close in months why not put a bj n condit fight with the gsp n diaz fight? Or jds n cain fight? Rampage n jones is just a month b4 the 136 card anywayz, u know? They would get the highest ratings ever imo...if not close to the ufc 100 shyt.
This one is suppose to be on the same card and I am suppse to be going, hell yeah!!!!

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
yeah UFC 137 is GSP vs Diaz, BJ vs Condit, Hatsu Hioki's (#2 Featherweight) UFC debut vs Roop, Cro Cop vs Big Country, Kongo vs Meathead & Siver vs Stout right now.

They like to spread out title fights on different cards, there's more money made that way. Also they'll never have GSP or Brock on the same card as any other big names (100 and BJ notwithstanding). They're the two biggest PPV draws they have so why stack a card when one of them fighting guarantees close to a million buys automatically. Right now I think it goes Brock, GSP, Anderson, BJ, everyone else as far as selling PPVs. Historically the super bowl, 4th of july and end of the year cards are stacked.