MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Fighting with Fever, Kingsbury Thankful He Finished Romero Quickly

The night before he fought Ricardo Romero at UFC 126, Kyle Kingsbury soaked his bed with sweat. He had a fever. His throat was tickling too.

“I can’t even imagine how many pounds I lost in my sleep,” Kingsbury (Pictured) said recently on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show.

Turns out he had spent too much time in the steam room working his weight down, resulting in some fluid in his lungs that brought on the other symptoms. Kingsbury fought anyway. He won too, stopping Romero just 21 seconds into the first round.

“It was pretty bad, but I just put it in the back of my head and really didn’t give it too much attention,” Kingsbury said. “I didn’t even tell my coaches until after the fight. Thankfully it didn’t end up going three rounds because I would have been hurting in the third round there for sure.”

After the fight Kingsbury needed an IV and drank an additional gallon of fluids. Despite his dehydrated state, he looked to be in tremendous shape.

“I try to come in as lean as I can,” Kingsbury said. “That way I know that whatever I’m walking around at, it’s all muscle and bones. You look at other guys that maybe don’t do that, and it’s kind of mindboggling to me why if you’re in any weight class other than heavyweight, how you would carry extra fat knowing that you’re really at a disadvantage.”

Kingsbury has his regimen down to a science. It includes a strict diet that begins 10 weeks before the fight as well as blood tests every three to four weeks that let him keep a close eye on his body’s state.

With that said, it may sound strange that Kingsbury ended up so ill the night before his bout.

“By fight day, if all goes well, you feel like you’re invincible. You’re indestructible. Nothing’s going to get to you,” Kingsbury said. “That’s on one hand. On the other hand, you really can’t make any changes to whatever normal routine you’ve become accustomed to. Because you’ve eliminated all of these bad things from your body, you’re almost like a baby. You can’t take any new things into you. For instance, the steam room, which I wasn’t accustomed to, I wound up having an adverse reaction. … I didn’t really think about how fragile everything is at that point in my body. Going into that steam room didn’t seem like it hurt me and then I spent a little too much time in there.”

Of course, Kingsbury came out on top anyway and has now won three straight in the UFC. He credits his teammates at American Kickboxing Academy and Power MMA for his improvement.

“That’s really what it is,” Kingsbury said. “I’ve been working with a lot of great guys at AKA. I’ve also been working with a lot of great guys at Power MMA, with Ryan Bader, C.B. Dollaway, Aaron Simpson, those guys. I’ve got the best of both worlds, training in Arizona as well as California. The sky’s the limit when you surround yourself with guys that are better than you.”

Feb 7, 2006
Sandro Inks Bellator Deal, Debuts in Upcoming Season

Although the eight-man field for Bellator Fighting Championships’ fourth-season featherweight tournament has already been established, the company has added another high-profile name to its 145-pound roster.

Bellator today announced that it has signed former Sengoku champion and current featherweight “King of Pancrase” Marlon Sandro to a deal, the terms of which were not disclosed. The world-ranked Brazilian will make his debut in a non-tournament bout during the promotion’s upcoming season, which begins March 5 and airs live on MTV2.

“Marlon Sandro is a phenomenal talent at 145,” Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney stated in a release. “Our featherweight division is absolutely stacked and Sandro pushes that talent pool to an even higher level. I’m thrilled to have him on board.”

A product of Rio de Janeiro’s famed Nova Uniao academy and training partner of UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo, Sandro (17-2) has spent the last three years of his career fighting in Japan. There, the 33-year-old captured gold in Pancrase before moving to the larger stage of Sengoku’s 2009 featherweight grand prix. After running off 14 straight wins to begin his career, Sandro was dealt his first loss in a highly controversial split decision with current UFC signee Michihiro Omigawa in the tournament semifinals.

Following his bout with Omigawa, Sandro embarked on a reign of terror, dispatching of Yuji Hoshino and Tomonari Kanomata with brutal first-round knockouts before vying for Sengoku’s featherweight belt against Masanori Kanehara. Sandro needed just 38 seconds to flatten Kanehara and take his title in their June 2010 meeting.

In his last outing, Sandro tasted defeat for the second time and lost his Sengoku strap, as he was outworked over five rounds and nearly finished by Shooto 143-pound champion Hatsu Hioki at “Soul of Fight” on Dec. 30.

No opponent or date was specified for Sandro’s forthcoming Bellator debut, which will also mark his first time fighting in the United States.

Feb 7, 2006
Marshall Steps in for Vemola, Faces Cane at UFC 128

Grudge Training Center product Eliot Marshall will likely return to the Octagon against Luis “Banha” Cane at UFC 128. Cane was left without an opponent for the event when Karlos Vemola withdrew from their bout with a mouth infection earlier this week.

Sherdog.com has confirmed the 205-pound matchup with a source close to the bout; Tatame.com originally reported the news on Wednesday morning. Bout agreements have reportedly been distributed, though the fight has not yet been finalized.

UFC 128, which will be headlined by a light heavyweight title clash between champion Mauricio “Shogun” Rua and challenger Jon Jones, will go down March 19 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

A cast member of “The Ultimate Fighter 8,” Marshall was eliminated from the show by powerful wrestler and eventual season winner Ryan Bader. Following his stint on “TUF,” Marshall earned three consecutive wins inside the Octagon, besting Jules Bruchez, Vinny Magalhaes and Jason Brilz before dropping a split nod to former International Fight League 205-pound champ Vladimir Matyushenko. Following the defeat, Marshall was cut from the promotion’s highly-competitive light heavyweight ranks. Since losing his spot in the UFC, “The Fire” has earned three straight wins, most recently submitting Chris McNally in December.

Cane looks to rebound from consecutive losses for the first time in his five-year pro career. After being disqualified in his 2007 UFC debut against James Irvin, the Brazilian rattled off three straight wins, knocking off Jason Lambert, Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou and former WEC light heavyweight champion Steve Cantwell. Recently, however, Cane has found himself on the wrong end of two knockouts, as he fell to Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Cyrille Diabate at UFC 106 and UFC 114, respectively.

Feb 7, 2006
Report: Cummins, Bradley Sentenced to County Jail

According to the Centre Daily Times, former Penn State University wrestling standouts Patrick Cummins and Eric Bradley have been sentenced to one to two years in county jail and five years probation on felony burglary charges.

Cummins, 30, and Bradley, 29, were originally to be sentenced on Feb. 15 at the Centre County Courthouse in Bellefonte, Penn., but the men reportedly failed to appear.

The men were convicted of burglarizing several PSU fraternities from December 2007 to May 2008. According to the Centre Daily Times report, the pair was sentenced to one to two years in jail for burglarizing one fraternity while the residents slept.

The five years of probation, which will begin after the men serve their jail sentence, was reportedly handed down for seven other felony counts of breaking into fraternities while no one was home.

Cummins and Bradley were arrested on May 30, 2008, and reportedly plead guilty to the charges, striking a verbal agreement that they would receive probation for their cooperation. The case's prosecutor changed, however, and the plea bargain was reportedly not upheld. Items allegedly stolen from the fraternities included digital cameras, television, computers and cash, among other valuables.

Sherdog.com could not reach Cummins for comment, and Bradley's contact information was not readily available at the time of publishing. Cummins' manager, Ryan Parsons, issued this comment:

“Patrick is looking forward to putting this behind him and picking up his MMA career where he left off. He has a bright future in this sport, and I expect him to go far.”

Feb 7, 2006
Bellator Adds Rage in the Cage Champion to 205-Pound Tourney

Five participants are now confirmed for Bellator Fighting Championships’ rapidly approaching light heavyweight tournament, as the promotion announced Wednesday the addition of Arizona-based prospect Richard "Rare Breed" Hale to the eight-man bracket.

Hale joins Tim Carpenter, Chris Davis, Nik Fekete and D.J. Linderman on the roster of official competitors for the tourney, which will crown Bellator’s inaugural 205-pound champion. Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt Daniel Gracie and Raphael Davis are also rumored to join the field. While not officially announced by the promotion, the 205-pound tournament quarterfinals are expected to take place March 26 at Bellator 38.

The 25-year-old Hale, 15-3-1 in his MMA campaign, has spent the bulk of his career competing for Arizona’s long-running Rage in the Cage promotion, where he has gone 13-1 and held titles at light heavyweight, heavyweight and super heavyweight. However, the 6-foot-4 Ohio native says the weight at which he will compete for Bellator suits him best.

“I absolutely feel like I’m more powerful and explosive at 205 pounds,” Hale stated in a release. “My strength and my stamina is better, and just everything all around. With the weight cut and everything, it pushes me to be a better athlete.”

Hale has lost just once in his last 13 outings -- a September 2009 majority decision defeat to Strikeforce fighter Antwain Britt -- and has finished 13 of his 15 career wins.

Feb 7, 2006
Spencer Fisher, Ross Pearson say strategy no secret in UFC 127 matchup

When Spencer Fisher (24-6 MMA, 9-5 UFC) and Ross Pearson (11-4 MMA, 3-1 UFC) clash at in the octagon at this weekend's UFC 127 event, there's little doubt how the fight will likely play out.

With a history of entertaining slugfests dotting both fighters' records, the two UFC lightweight contenders are expected to go toe-to-toe until one of them drops.

"I don't think it's a surprise what either one of us plans on doing," Fisher said. "I think we're going to go out there and throw down, and I think the guy that can stick to his gameplan is going to win this fight."

Fisher and Pearson clash on the preliminary card of UFC 127, which takes place Sunday at Sydney, Australia's Acer Arena. Due to the time change, the bout airs live in the U.S. on ION Television Saturday night prior to the evening's pay-per-view broadcast.

Pearson, who recently saw a four-fight win streak snapped in a submission loss to Cole Miller, said the matchup is one he's been anticipating for quite some time.

"Spencer Fisher has always been a name that's popped up in my mind," Pearson said. "I'd think, 'They've got to put me and Spencer together sometime.' Here's the time."

For the scrappy Brit, Fisher provides just the type of opponent he prefers to face.

"It's the type of fight I like to fight," Pearson said. "He puts everything on the line. He's a good all-around fighter – exciting, comes forward, aggressive. He knocks guys out, submits guys, and fans love to see that."

Indeed, they do. Fisher has provided numerous memorably moments during his five-plus year run in the octagon. And while Fisher is just 1-2 in his past three fights, he believes the skills he's developed during 14 UFC appearances will carry him to victory over Pearson.

"He's never faced somebody with the speed that I have, the tenacity that I have and bring to the cage every time," Spencer said.

Oddsmakers have installed Pearson as a near two-to-one favorite in the matchup, but Fisher is unquestionably a live underdog. The only safe bet is that the two won't be engaging in any of UFC president Dana White's dreaded Ultimate Staring Competition matchups.

"You know how he is, and you know how I am," Fisher said. "We're coming to fight, and I don't think there will be anybody sitting on their butt during this fight."

Pearson shares the sentiment.

"It's going to be an exciting fight," Pearson said. "I have no doubt he's going to come rushing at me.

"We're going to meet in the middle. We're just going to collide. It's going to be great. It's going to be good fun."

Feb 7, 2006
Strikeforce Challengers 14 ratings peak with nearly a quarter-million viewers

This past weekend's Strikeforce Challengers 14 event peaked with 244,000 viewers and averaged nearly 200,000 overall for the night's Showtime broadcast.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed the figures with an industry source.

Strikeforce Challengers 14 initially took place this past Friday, Feb. 18, at Cedar Park Center in Texas near Austin. Lightweights Pat Healy and Lyle Beerbohm headlined the show.

Ratings remained consistent throughout the two-hour broadcast, which also included Carlo Prater vs. Bryan Travers. Ryan Couture (son of UFC legend Randy Couture) made his second pro appearance when he took on Lee Higgins in a lightweight bout.

The Strikeforce Challengers series is geared toward showcasing up-and-coming fighters and competitors looking to get back to the organization's "Arena Series" shows. Notables such as Miesha Tate, Tyron Woodley, Shane Del Rosario, Sarah Kaufman and others all have Challengers experience.

The average audience size for Strikeforce Challengers shows since 2010 include:

* Strikeforce Challengers 7: 316,000 viewers*
* Strikeforce Challengers 8: 249,000
* Strikeforce Challengers 10: 237,000
* Strikeforce Challengers 13: 223,000*
* Strikeforce Challengers 12: 210,000
* Strikeforce Challengers 14: 200,000
* Strikeforce Challengers 9: 197,000
* Strikeforce Challengers 6: 189,000
* Strikeforce Challengers 11: 178,000

* - Showtime "free preview" weekend

Replays of the event are available on Showtime On Demand today through March 6.

Feb 7, 2006
Showtime hosts "M-1 Challenge: Damkovsky vs. Figueroa" on March 25

Strikeforce won't be the only MMA action featured on premium cable channel Showtime.

Showtime officials today announced that the channel will broadcast a March 25 event hosted by Strikeforce's business partners M-1 Global.

The Russian-based organization heads to Virginia's Constant Center for "M-1 Challenge: Damkovsky vs. Figueroa," which sees Artiom Damkovsky (8-4) defend his M-1 Challenge lightweight title against Jose Figueroa (9-4) in the evening's main event.

"I am extremely happy about the venture between M-1 Global and Showtime," M-1 Global co-founder Vadim Finkelchtein stated in today's release. "There is no better TV network for M-1 than Showtime – and no better market to seriously compete in than the U.S."

Veteran broadcasters Mauro Ranallo and Pat Miletich, who also team together for the channel's Strikeforce coverage, will call the action.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from multiple sources close to the network that the event is expected to serve as the first of multiple M-1 Global events to air on Showtime this year. However, terms of the deal were not revealed, and the channel has not publicly committed to any events past the March 25 date.

"Our ability to televise quality boxing and MMA fights at the highest level has been aided tremendously by our commitment to showcasing prospects and lesser known international stars on our feeder series like 'ShoBox: The New Generation' and Strikeforce Challengers," Showtime sports executive Ken Hershman stated. "M-1 Challenge events fit perfectly into that mold and will enhance our mixed martial arts offerings even further."

Similar to Showtime's current MMA programming, the M-1 Challenge event airs live at 11 p.m. ET and is tape-delayed to the West Coast.

In addition to the evening's main event, "M-1 Challenge: Damkovsky vs. Figueroa" features Tyson Jeffries (7-4) and Magomed Sultanakhmedov (14-5) meeting with the vacant M-1 Challenge middleweight title on the line. Two-time UFC veteran Vinny Magalhaes (6-5) also faces an opponent still to be determined, while lightweights Alexander Sarnavskiy (12-0) and Josh Bacallao (6-2) round-out the main card.

While M-1 Global is best known as the management group of Fedor Emelianenko, the organization has hosted events around the world since 1997.

Feb 7, 2006
Tavares ready for Shane Roller: “It will be crazy"

After almost six months without stepping on the octagon, the lightweight of UFC Thiago Tavares returns to Ultimate against the American Shane Roller, one of the lightweights who came from WEC to UFC. On an exclusive chat with TATAME, the Brazilian talked about his team, his last fight and reveals he’s ready for the bout with Shane Roller. “When Thiago’s fighting you know what to expect, right? I can’t guarantee a win, but you can bet on me because it’ll be crazy”, guarantees Thiago.

You’re almost six months without fighting… How badly do you want to fight now?

Man, I thought I was going to fight in December, but it was postponed and we kept negotiating it, especially with the fusion of UFC and WEC on this weight class, that now is full. My fight will only happen in March, but I’m ready, I’m training, I’m on a good sequence, and my project since

September was to keep this training on… So I’m trained. The fight will be in a few weeks, but I’m ready for it.

Your next opponent, Shane Roller, has a good grappling game. Six of the nine wins he got were by submissions. Are you taking some extra time to prepare yourself in case the fight develops on the ground?

Yeah, exactly. He’s a grappler, he’s a Wrestling base, right? But he’s also a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black-belt. He beat up a guy using a guillotine choke and two were beaten by rear naked chokes, but I’ve got it all planed. I know even the arm he uses, so it’s all ready.

On your last fight you’ve confronted Pat Audinwood, who’s much taller than you, and it was impossible for you to strike with him. Shane is shorter than Audinwood, but still has an advantage when it comes to his reach…

I thought I’d be able to trade punches with Pat, but at the weighting I looked at his chin and it was too tall, and I thought “damn, I’ll have to jump to hit this guy”. Shanne Roller is 5’10’’, which is the height of Ivan Batman and Ricardo Tirloni, who train with me, and I didn’t have any problems finding sparrings, it was perfect.

So you intend to trade punches with him, something you didn’t do on your last bout, right?

I can and I will do that. Of course I want to put his back against the floor and pressure him, but I’ll try to strike, I’ll fight. With guys of 5’10’’ I still can fight standing (laughs).

While he’s got an advantage because of his height, you have the experience factor at your side. When your opponent debuted on the sport you were doing your third fight on UFC, on the same week. How will you use it in your favor?

That’s truth, I fought more than him. Sometimes he’s hasty on his fights, so let’s see… It’s the first time he’s fighting on UFC, and I fought 9 times for the organization, it’ll be my tenth, so let’s see how he’ll behave. Many people think it’s the same thing fighting on UFC, that they’ll get that and it’ll just happen, but I’m there for a long time and I know how things work. Let’s see how he’ll be hosted on UFC.

Tell us a little about your team, which has fighters like Ricardo Tirloni, Ivan Batman, Fabio Maldonado and Nazareno Malegarie, who’s recently signed a contract with Bellator.

I can’t say much about Ricardo Tirloni, he’s beaten Brian Cobb, who’s a former UFC fighter and now is on Sengoku. On this fight, Tirloni knocked him down and submitted him with a rear naked choke. Ivan Batman has jest beaten up Marcio Jacare at Nitrix 6, and he’s also a great athlete, a great shroud. There’s also Nazareno, Maldonado… Well, the team is very tight, and the trainings are great and we’re only getting good results.

Would you like to leave a message for the fans?

Guys, I’ll fight on March 3rd, so cheer for me. When Thiago is fighting you know what to expect, right? I can’t guarantee a win, but you can bet on me because it’ll be crazy.

Feb 7, 2006
Coach: “(Jussier) Formiga lost, but he wasn’t defeated"

Jussier Formiga occupied the number one spot among the flyweights, but he suffered the first loss of his MMA career last Friday, at Tachi Palace. Back to Brazil, his coach Jair Lourenco regrets the bad result, but guarantees it’ll make the athlete evolve even more.

“Jussier lost the fight, but a loss is really only a loss when you don’t learn anything from it, and on that fight we’ve learned a lot. When the bout was finished, the first thing we did was to talk and see what he did right and wrong, and if he’d won we wouldn’t have change anything on his training”, tells Jair to TATAME, confirming that changes will come along. “For his next bout, he’ll come heavier and better conditioned and on a good state of mind, and we won’t accept to get to the US right before the weight-ins, like we did this time, because the jet leg is terrible”, concluded.

Feb 7, 2006
José Aldo training with K-1 star Andy Souwer in Netherlands

José Aldo and Johnny Eduardo, champions of UFC and Shooto Brazil, respectively, are always looking for better trainings. Besides the traditional hard trainings they have in Rio de Janeiro, the tough guys launched to Holland to sharpen their strike with Andy Souwer, two-time champion of K-1, who conquered 86 of his 137 wins with knockouts.

“Andy Souwer didn’t become three-time champion of K-1 joking. He’s really good, he’s teaching the both of us many new things”, told the fighters, who chatted with TATAME via internet this morning. “We’re training so we improve our Muay Thai skills”.

In April, Aldo will have his debut on UFC against Mark Hominick, while Johnny puts his Shooto belt at risk. The trainings with Souwer couldn’t have come at a better moment. “The guy is fucking good, he’s helping us a lot not only on the trainings. He’s an extraordinary human being and he’s been pretty patience with us. We’re improving a lot, but our trains in Brazil are not any worst than any other practice we do”, concluded.

Feb 7, 2006
Anderson Silva on St. Pierre fight: “I want to fight the bests”

UFC middleweight champion, Anderson Silva dominated his weight class for a long time, and Dana White guys are already considering a challenge on which he’d fight with the champion of a lighter division, Georges St. Pierre.

On an interview conceded to the show UFC Sem Limites, on RedeTV, Anderson commented the possibility of facing the Canadian, and talked about the weight gap. “For the fans it’d be a good thing, but the only problem is the weight, find a way to make it good for him and for me. I want to fight the bests… I’m fine on my weight division and I intend to retire on it”, said the champion, saying that there’s a possibility of this fight with GSP happens on an intermediate weight division.

“Spider” also talked about the kick that knocked Vitor Belfort out at UFC 126, confessing he didn’t learn it with Steven Seagal. “He gave me a little tip about how I could improve that kick, but it wasn’t like ‘Anderson couldn’t get that kick right before that’. That’s something thing you learn when you start fight standing. It’s a traditional kick of stand-up martial arts”, said.

Feb 7, 2006
Diego Sanchez: “I hit rock bottom after the Penn fight, I really did…”

Original TUF champ Diego Sanchez has been viewed as a fairly enigmatic individual since bursting onto the UFC scene six years ago with a raw intensity only matched by his at times curious behavior. Matured by both the battles he’s faced in his personal and professional life, the 29-year old now seems to have found some clarity in his life after returning home to train with Greg Jackson in preparation for his UFC 121 bout with Paulo Thiago.

Sanchez spoke about his journey back to Albuquerque earlier today in a conference call with media where he discussed his newfound love of training, the reason he’s shedding his long-time nickname, and how far down he’d actually sunk after losing in such a clear-cut fashion to B.J. Penn at UFC 107.

“I went through a really rough situation in San Diego that brought me into a lot of emotional depression and that weighed hard on me, and the Penn fight was really hard for me the way I lost – getting cut up, getting hands put on me the way I did,” Sanchez explained of his motivation in moving back to New Mexico. “That never happened to me in my career. So, I had to deal with that and when I came home I moved out of the city and I moved into the mountains and that was the best thing I ever did.”

“I hit rock bottom after the Penn fight, I really did. I blew through all my money. I made bad decisions. Scam artists scammed me real bad. I was in debt over $175,000. I had to come back home. I needed my family’s love. I was humbled 100% back down to zero. I have no ego.”

In reference to his loss to John Hathaway, Sanchez replied he was still in a funk even drinking beer after training and didn’t take the Brit seriously at all. Crediting the isolation with restoring his focus on the sport rather than its trappings, Sanchez also made it clear he’s done cutting down to compete as a lightweight.

“The options are closed for me to ever go down to 155 again,” the 22-4 fighter began on the topic. “I brought in an Olympic wrestler and he’s a big 185 pounder and about an inch taller than me. He’s real big on lifting weights and so we go and we lift weights every day after practice. And we hit it hard…I’m doing power lifts, I’m doing squats, I’m doing kettle lifts…and that’s on top our (regular) training.

“It’s really motivated me to be strong,” Sanchez continued. “In my last fight I was really prepared, I worked hard, but I wasn’t physically strong and that’s something you’ve got to have being a welterweight. That’s something I’ve really worked on and I think fans are going to be surprised when they see the way I look, the way I feel…and the way I’m able to (assert) my will with my physical strength.”

Due to his newfound approach to life and interest in putting the past behind him Sanchez also explained his decision to drop “Nightmare” as his nickname, saying in retrospect he was his own “nightmare”.

“I don’t want to represent that. I want to represent positivity and good…the nightmare was myself. All of the times I fell off track and got into drinking and into smoking weed…the things that brought me down, the partying. That was my nightmare, I was my own nightmare, so you know I said, ‘I’m growing up. I’m gonna let that name go and I just want to be Diego Sanchez. I’m me and that’s it.”

On top of the popular Ultimate Fighter winner’s clash with well-rounded XTreme Couture competitor Kampmann, fans can also catch decorated amateur wrestlers C.B. Dollaway and Mark Munoz mix it up in main card action at “UFC on Versus: Sanchez vs. Kampmann”. The show will go live on Versus at 8:00 PM EST.

Feb 7, 2006
Strikeforce's Dan Henderson sees no sunset for now in MMA

Dan Henderson is going to fight as long as he can.

The former two-division PRIDE champion today dispelled talk that his 40 years of age put him on the cusp of retirement.

"I have no plans to stop fighting," Henderson said today. "My body is feeling pretty good, and as long as I can still compete with the top guys, I'm going to stay in the sport."

Henderson (26-8 MMA, 1-1 SF) makes his fourth attempt since PRIDE's end at a major promotional title when he meets Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante (10-2 MMA, 3-1 SF) next Saturday at "Strikeforce: Feijao vs. Henderson." The event takes place at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio, and airs live on Showtime.

It wasn't long ago – but decades in fight time – that "Hendo" held 40 extra pounds of silver as the PRIDE welterweight and middleweight champion. But since the death of the Japanese promotion, he's struggled to regain that career stature.

He's since been on a mission to get another belt around his waist.

Henderson signed with the UFC in late 2007 and dove headlong into a title shot against light heavyweight champion Quinton Jackson. He put up a hard fight but lost via decision. Then he took a crack at middleweight champion Anderson Silva's belt. The Brazilian choked him out.

After becoming a free agent in late 2009, he joined Strikeforce's ranks and immediately challenged then-middleweight champion Jake Shields this past April for the belt in a fight broadcast live on CBS. That, too, ended in disappointment with a decision loss to the standout grappler.

But despite those multiple setbacks, Henderson today said he isn't thinking too much about the possibility of winning a title for the first time in four years.

"When I approach a fight, it's definitely about who I'm fighting," he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "The outcome will take care of itself if you take care of who you're fighting.

"[The belt is] just icing on the cake once the job's done. But you've got to get the job done first, so no point in worrying about that now."

Henderson got back on his feet in a big way with his most recent performance, a stunning first-round knockout of former light heavyweight champion Renato "Babalu" Sobral this past December. So the machine still works.

Will it against "Feijao"? Henderson thinks so, and he's for now focused on doing damage at light heavyweight and not bouncing between classes as before.

"I don't feel small or weak at 205, so what's the point in cutting weight?" Henderson said.

And just as there are no plans to make a career change any time soon, there is no change his heavy-handed approach to fighting.

"I definitely plan on trying to knock [Cavalcante] silly and pressure him the whole fight," he said.

Feb 7, 2006
Tate out at "Strikeforce: Feijao vs. Henderson," Carmouche challenges Coenen for belt

Strikeforce female contender Miesha Tate has been forced to withdraw from March's "Strikeforce: Feijao vs. Henderson" event.

Strikeforce officials today announced that a Tate suffered a knee injury in training and will be replaced by fellow contender Liz Carmouche (5-0 MMA, 2-0 SF).

"Girl-Rilla" now challenges Strikeforce women's welterweight champion Marloes Coenen (18-4 MMA, 2-1 SF) at the March 5 event.

Featuring a light heavyweight title fight between Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante and Dan Henderson, "Strikeforce: Feijao vs. Henderson" takes place at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio, and airs on Showtime.

Carmouche fought most recently at Strikeforce Challengers 12 this past November, where she registered a third-round TKO victory over Jan Finney.

The undefeated Carmouch made her Strikeforce debut this past August with a unanimous-decision win over Colleen Schneider.

Meanwhile, Coenen looks for her first successful defense of the title she earned with a third-round submission over the previously undefeated Sarah Kaufman this past October.

Tate was named No. 1 contender following an August win at Strikeforce's first-ever one-night 135-pound tournament. A timetable for Tate's return has yet to be established.

With the change, the full card for "Strikeforce: Feijao vs. Henderson" now includes:

MAIN CARD

* Champ Rafael Cavalcante vs. Dan Henderson (for light-heavyweight title)
* Champ Marloes Coenen vs. Liz Carmouche (for women's welterweight title)
* Tim Kennedy vs. Melvin Manhoef
* Billy Evangelista vs. Jorge Masvidal

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Roger Bowling vs. Josh Thornburg
* Tyler Combs vs. Jorge Gurgel
* Jason "Jay" Freeman vs. Jason Riley
* Mojo Horne vs. Brian Rogers
* Marc Cofer vs. Mitch Whitesel
* J.P. Felty vs. John Kuhner

Feb 7, 2006
Nick Ring vs. Riki Fukuda Also Part of The ION Brodcast

PRELIMINARY CARD (ION Television)
•Spencer Fisher vs. Ross Pearson
•Alexander Gustafsson vs. James Te Huna
•Riki Fukuda vs. Nick Ri

Feb 7, 2006
Sergei Karitonov: "I will compete 2 or 3 times before my semi-final in Srikeforce"

Training and preparation for the fight:

- I am in very good shape, already returned to training with my team Golden Glory, getting ready for the semi-final. Alistair will be coming to train with us in the next several weeks, he is not here yet,

- I have two training sessions a day, 2-hours in the morning and 2-hours in the evening. In the morning, I usually train grappling, and at night, its striking.

- We have a lot of great trainers and sparring partners here.. John Olav, world champion in BJJ coaches the ground game. As of strikers, we have a lot of great fighters, Gokhan Saki, Semmy Schilt, Eroll Zimernam, There are new guys coming all the time, we have no shortage of sparring partners here.

Thoughts about next opponent in Strikeforce:

- I think Josh Barnett is more dangerous as an opponent. We were suppose to have a fight back in PRIDE days, but for various reasons, it never materialized. Either he was injured, or I was injured or our managers didn’t reach the agreement. Rogers is younger, more hunger and wants to prove a lot. I will be ready for either one of them

- I am planning to have 2-3 fights before my semi-final bout. I can’t get any ring-rust. You can train as hard as you want, but if you don’t compete, that won’t do you any good. Its lawys better to train and fight periodically. I had 4 fights in last few months, and very happy with this fact. I am always in shape, I am ready physically and morally. I wish the same for Fedor Emelianenko. I think that he lacks of competition. He needs to fight more in order to become great again.

Answering our question about reasons for the Fedor’s lost:

- I can’t judge. I think the fact that Fedor hasn’t had a fight in a long time was the main reason. I had losses myself, when it seemed like I was ready physically but not mentally, because I had long breaks between the fights. It’s not easy mentally to prepare for the fight after a long delay. I wish Fedor will fight more often. I heard will compete in Sambo tournament. He is our champion, but it’s up to him if he will listen to me or not. For example, I competed recently in K-1. I also want to do some Sambo as well, maybe even Jiu-Jitsu. The more we fight, the stronger we are mentally.

- I know Fedor so well. We trained so much together. He is a hard-worker. We woke-up together, trained together, ran together, we trained twice a day, side-by-side; we trained 2.5 hours straight, without a single break. He is very talented individual. He is a very good painter; he has many other positive attributes. Also, he has so much pressure; the entire Russia is looking up to him, that also plays a role.

Talking about his game plan for the Arlovski fight

- I and my trainer were planning to finish the fight somewhere around second round. I knew that he will be very aggressive in the opening minutes and will spent a lot of energy. Possibly, I took a few too many shots. Our tactic was to exhaust him and then take him down in the second round, but we also said, if I hit him good, go for the finish, don’t give him any chances. I did land good shot in the first round and decided not to delay the finish.

In regards to common opinion about Arlovski’s "Glass Chin"

- Take a very simple example, his fight with Antonio Silva, he is a dangerous opponent, with a good, knockout strikes, but he couldn’t knockout Andrei. Everybody can lose with a knockout. Andrei ahs a normal chin and strong head. This is a heavyweight; every blow can be a good night. He doesn’t have a glass chin; he just fights very openly, very extremely. People like his style, but there is no doubt in my mind, his chin is not made out of glass. I think he will continue training; he is in good age to continue.

Answering the question about best heavyweights in the world, Strikeforce vs. UFC:

- It’s hard to say, both organizations have good fighters. Cain Velasquez is a very good fighter. But the, the 8-man Gran-Prix has the very best heavyweights in the world. Thank you to Scott Coker. We have fighters from all the disciplines, BJJ, Sambo, Boxing. Very good tournament. I think that today, this is the best tournament in all MMA. We have stars, such as Alistair Overeem, who currently holds three belts, Fedor, Silva, Werdum. All the guys are very good fighters.

Whose ideas was it to record those short video-clips, such as "I will break you!" Will you do something like this for the next fight?

- Pretty sure there will be. It’s ok, its professional sport. We have our won emotions, it’s the way to express them, let them out and get ready for the fight mentally. We are professionals, nothing personal, but its also marketing. I am sure I will continue doing this in the future.

In regards to Fedor’s striking coach Michkov saying that everyone but Fedor will fail the Olympic style steroid testing:
- (Little irritated in his voice). Everybody has its own excuses. These words are based on nothing, you can come up with whatever. I don’t want to comment this in any way. If anybody has problems with illegal substances, they are easily found…but if there are no positive results found, then other people start making stuff up.
- We get tested before every fight. Its very very strict. I am all for the testing, I believe that every sportsman needs to take these tests.

Final words from Sergei to the fans:
- In the final words I want to say big THANKS to all my fans. I feel your support all the way. I am getting better every day. I have new trainers, I am working with very good specialists. I want to win this Gran-Prix very much, and if you will support me morally, I will do it!