MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Healy Pins First Loss on ‘Fancy Pants’

Size, experience and rugged determination carried Pat Healy.

A 27-year-old UFC veteran, Healy banked a unanimous decision against the previously unbeaten Lyle Beerbohm in the Strikeforce “Challengers 14” main event on Friday at the Cedar Park Center in Cedar Park, Texas. All three cage-side judges scored it 29-28 for Healy, a Team Quest representative who has won four of his last five fights.

Beerbohm controlled the pace for much of the bout, relentless in pressing and smothering his seasoned opponent against the cage. However, he ran out of steam against Healy, a former welterweight, as the two men dug in their heels against one another. Healy delivered the more effective strikes standing, weathered Beerbohm’s scramble-heavy onslaught and nearly secured submissions in the second and third rounds.

“I think I outworked him, outhustled him and won the exchanges on the feet,” Healy said. “That’s where I took it.”

In defeat, Beerbohm did nothing to lower his stock in the 155-pound division. Undefeated in his first 15 professional appearances, he stayed in Healy’s face in the clinch and on the ground throughout their entertaining 15-minute encounter. Healy closed strong, as he scored with a takedown, seized partial back control, trapped Beerbohm’s arm and threatened with a rear-naked choke in the third round. Beerbohm escaped but appeared visibly winded when the two lightweights returned to an upright position. There, Healy scored with punches and stuffed a late takedown attempt, perhaps swaying the verdict in his favor.

The well-traveled Healy positioned himself nicely to face the winner of the March 5 encounter between Billy Evangelista and Jorge Masvidal.

“I’d really like that fight,” he said. “They both beat my brother. Being a proud Irishman, I want that revenge for the family.”

Prater Stops Travers in 38 Seconds

World Extreme Cagefighting veteran Carlo Prater put away Bryan Travers with a modified anaconda choke 38 seconds into their co-main event. The hold left Travers reddened and unconscious.

After a brief standing exchange, Prater put Travers on his back with a nifty inside trip. He locked on the choke during the ensuing scramble, tied up Travers’ leg and waited for the American Kickboxing Academy product to black out. A little more than half a minute after it began, their encounter was over.

The victory snapped a two-fight losing streak for Prater, who shed tears afterward. “No one likes to lose, and my record alone says I’m not a perfect fighter,” he said. “We’re up. We’re down. We lose our job. We’ve got to get up and look for another one. It’s been a hard couple of years. I don’t know what tomorrow brings for me.”

Couture Scores Late Submission

Dave Mandel

Couture put Higgins away.
Lee Higgins made Ryan Couture earn it.

Couture, the son of UFC hall of famer Randy Couture, took a third-round submission from the game but overmatched Higgins in a featured lightweight duel. A rear-naked choke brought it to a close with only 19 seconds remaining in the third round.

The 28-year-old Couture controlled the fight in all phases with superior technique, as he switched between orthodox and southpaw stances and scored effectively with jabs, counter right hands and kicks to the body and legs. Couture nearly stopped Higgins in the waning moments of round one, first with a guillotine and then a brabo choke. Higgins survived, only to be punished further in the second round,
where Couture floored him with a crisp right hand.

Couture struck with a trip takedown with roughly two minutes to go in round three, moved to back control and went to work on the rear-naked choke. Higgins fought until the end, forcing Couture to readjust the hold several times. Ultimately, Couture found the right combination and coaxed the tapout.

“He was hand-fighting me like crazy,” he said. “He wore out both my forearms.”

Anchored at his father’s renowned Las Vegas gym, Couture has won each of his first two professional bouts by submission.

“I just want to continue to get more comfortable out there,” he said. “Getting almost 15 minutes in here was a big help.”

Larson Dominates, Finishes Apple

King of Kombat alum Ryan Larson dazzled in his promotional debut, as he submitted Erik Apple with a second-round triangle choke in a one-sided welterweight showcase. Apple tapped out 3:14 into round two.

Larson delivered takedowns in both rounds and ran a grappling clinic on Apple once the fight hit the ground. He held a topside crucifix position for much of the first round, twice threatening with kimuras from the top. Apple’s luck did not improve in the second. After another takedown, Larson moved to mount, forced his foe to surrender his back and locked in a body triangle. Heavy blows fell on Apple, as Larson deftly locked in the triangle from the top and took the submission.

Douglas Chokes Out ‘The Ghost’

Surging Cesar Gracie protégé David Douglas needed a little more than a minute to post his sixth victory in seven appearances, as he choked Nick Gonzalez unconscious with a first-round rear-naked choke in their featured catchweight match at 150 pounds. The finish came 65 seconds into round one.

Entering the cage with an enormous height, reach and strength advantage, Douglas swarmed his foe at the start and sent him to the canvas with an overhand right. Ground-and-pound followed, and Gonzalez ultimately surrendered his back. The choke came next, as Douglas snaked his muscular arms around the neck. Soon after, Gonzalez went limp.

“I’m ready to take on anybody,” Douglas said. “They know what’s coming. When I’m healthy and everything, nobody can beat me.”

Feb 7, 2006
125 Proof: Montague Mauls Gomez, McCall Upsets 'Formiga' at TPF 8

LEMOORE, Calif. -- Friday night, it was high stakes for flyweights at Tachi Palace Fights 8, and it was two underdogs who had their hands raised.

23-year-old Darrell Montague dismantled Ulysses Gomez over five rounds to take the Tachi Palace Fights flyweight crown. The Chino, Calif. native utilized superior striking and incredible takedown defense to earn a clean sweep, 50-45 on all three judges' scorecards.

Montague's superior footwork and head movement revealed a depth of striking ability that Gomez couldn't keep up with. The challenger effortlessly danced around the cage, switching stances and peppering the champ from the outside, lunging in with powerful body shots followed by combinations upstairs.

The grappling-minded Gomez stood flat-footed and circled away, looking for a chance to get the fight to the ground. However, "Useless" couldn't get his hands on Montague long enough to put him on the floor consistently. As the fight went on, the Millenia MMA product's crushing kicks to the legs and body of Gomez took away all of the strength that could've aided him in getting a takedown.

By the fifth round, “Useless” was barely a humorous nickname. Badly cut around his left eye, with severe bruising on his midsection and legs from Montague’s savage striking, Gomez simply circled aimlessly, while Montague, well ahead on the scorecards, danced around showboating.

So one-sided was the fight that when the 10-second clap sounded in the fifth round, "The Mongoose" thrust his hands up in victory, celebrating his title win well before the bout had ended. It was Montague's sixth straight win, as he moved to 9-1.

While Montague took the gold, spoils also went to WEC vet Ian McCall, who upset consensus top-ranked flyweight Jussier da Silva on points, handing the Brazilian his first career loss in exciting fashion.

Da Silva owned the first round with his trademark back control. The Brazilian spent almost the whole round riding “Uncle Creepy’s” back with a tight body triangle locked in. However, after a tough start, the bout belonged to the Dana Point, Calif. fighter.

cCall, 26, used good clinch work and takedown defense to keep the fight standing, battering the Brazilian inside. When da Silva began to slow in the third, McCall turned it on, dancing in and out, landing punches to the head and body. The fatigued "Formiga" just couldn't keep up with McCall, who took 29-28 scorecards from judges Abe Belardo, Jackie Denkin and Jason McCoy. It's the first lost of Formiga's career, while McCall moves his pro mark to 9-2 with the W.

“I think I put on a show and deserve a title shot,” McCall told Sherdog.com after his upset of Formiga. “If they don’t give me one, whatever. I am number one.”

Tachi Palace entertainment coordinator Jeremy Luchau told Sherdog after the bout that Montague would likely defend his title at Tachi Palace Fights 10 in August. McCall is a likely challenger, though May 5's bout between Shooto star Mamoru Yamaguchi and Greg Jackson charge John Dodson may factor into the Tachi title equation.

‘The Crow' Cuts Serao, Claims Tachi Palace Gold

Former UFC middleweight title challenger David Loiseau took the TPF strap off of Brazilian Leopoldo Serao, but couldn't exactly keep the fans in their seats during the evening's finale.

For four rounds, Loiseau-Serao was a dry affair, as Loiseau continously looked for a head kick on the feet with little success, while Serao would repeatedly shoot for a takedown, get stuffed, then pull guard. From there, Serao stunted any Loiseau offense by constantly going to rubber guard, controlling the Canadian's posture and not letting him get any ground-and-pound in. The lethargic pace of the fight led many at the Tachi to walk out before the bout's conclusion.

As the fifth and final round began, a cut appeared on the hairline of Serao. Loiseau saw blood and pounced.

"The Crow" quickly ripped into the champion with punches and elbows up against the fence that ripped the cut open, pouring blood all over Serao's face and chest. Referee John McCarthy quickly called for a cut check, and the cageside physician immediately waved off the fight, giving Loiseau the win and the TPF middleweight crown. It was the first win for the 31-year-old Montrealer since his thrashing at the hands of Mario Miranda at UFC 115 last June in Vancouver, British Columbia.

‘Fallen Angel’ Fells Gunderson; UFC Vets Camoes, Garcia Win Quick

Oakland’s Dominique Robinson had the performance of his career, as the lightweight dominated three-time UFC veteran John Gunderson en route to a third-round stoppage.

Robinson, 28, was superior everywhere to the sluggish Gunderson. On the feet, Robinson used his powerful right hand while shutting down Gunderson's repeated shot attempts. Robinson allowed his defensive wrestling to set up takedowns of his own on Gunderson, who he smashed with punches and elbows on top. The "Fallen Angel" even flexed his submission skills, threatening with an armbar late in the second round.

As the third round began, Gunderson was a spent force. He shot once more, but Robinson easily shut him down, quickly took full mount and blasting away until John McCarthy stepped in for the save 41 ticks into the third round.

The night was much kinder to two other UFC veterans, however. Brazilian Fabricio Camoes blew away fellow Octagon vet Steve Lopez in just 23 seconds, dismantling him with a right head kick and follow-up onslaught. The emphatic win earns Camoes a shot against "The Ultimate Fighter" Season 8 winner Efrain Escudero at Tachi Palace Fights 9 on May 5.

Elsewhere, welterweight Edgar Garcia looked for a guillotine early against Mike Moreno. The Yuma, Ariz., native did not find success initially, but as Moreno drove another double-leg attempt, Garcia locked up another choke and pulled guard, forcing the tap at just 1:47 of the first round.

Standing just 4-foot-11, featherweight Tyler Freeland outwrestled Diego Melendez for three three-minute rounds to win a unanimous decision in his pro debut. Freeland, who was born with hypochondroplasia, a form of short-limbed dwarfism, used superior strength and wrestling to put Melendez on the mat en route to unanimous verdict (30-27, 29-29, 29-29).

Doug Hunt punched out Andrew Martinez at 4:27 of the first round in their welterweight affair, battering the popular local from the turtle position until McCarthy intervened.

Middleweight Collin Hart needed just 92 seconds to take down Mike Arellano and tap him with a rear-naked choke, while Andy Miranda choked foe Ryan Burton out cold with a triangle just 66 seconds into their lightweight affair.

In the evening's welterweight opener, Kyle Griffin shot right into an Alan Jouban knee that knocked him out just 15 seconds into the fight.

Feb 7, 2006
Florian-Nunes Targeted for UFC 131

Former lightweight title contender Kenny Florian (Pictured) will make his debut at 145 pounds against world-ranked featherweight Diego Nunes at UFC 131 on June 11 at the Rogers Arena in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Florian announced the news during Saturday’s broadcast of MMA Live on ESPN. A heavyweight tilt between former champion Brock Lesnar and heavy-handed Brazilian Junior dos Santos is also rumored for UFC 131.

A staple of the UFC’s lightweight division since 2006, Florian originally competed in the UFC as a middleweight, losing in the final of the original “Ultimate Fighter” competition to Diego Sanchez. Since making the move to 155 pounds, Florian has contended for the division’s richest prize twice, losing his first title bid to Sean Sherk at UFC 64. Following six straight wins inside the Octagon, “KenFlo” got his second shot at the belt and was choked out by B.J. Penn at UFC 101. After rebounding with back-to-back wins over Clay Guida and Takanori Gomi, the 34-year-old lost to Gray Maynard in a bout to decide the No. 1 contender for new champion Frankie Edgar’s title.

Nunes comes fresh off the biggest win of his career in his UFC debut, as the Brazilian earned a hard-fought split decision victory over former WEC featherweight king Mike Thomas Brown. Prior to that win, the Nova Uniao product earned a 4-1 record inside the WEC, notching victories over Cole Province, Rafael Dias, Raphael Assuncao and Tyler Toner. The 28-year-old’s only loss in the WEC came to current Titan Fighting Championship talent L.C. Davis at WEC 44 in 2009.

Feb 7, 2006
Strikeforce's Tim Kennedy rolling with the punches against Melvin Manhoef

Tim Kennedy (12-3 MMA, 3-1 SF) is OK with curve balls.

A couple of months ago, he had rallied his troops around a fight against Jason "Mayhem" Miller at "Strikeforce: Feijao vs. Henderson." He had brought in a bunch of tall, long guys and he was firing on all cylinders in the gym. He logged time alongside UFC vets Jon Jones, Rashad Evans, Keith Jardine and the rest of the beasts at trainer Greg Jackson's school in Albuquerque, N.M.

Then, Miller fell out of the picture for reasons not completely clear to him. A few weeks later, he was given another opponent: Luke Rockhold. So he shifted gears and focused on Rockhold, though the American Kickboxing Academy had a lot in common with Miller in that he was tall, lanky and a good submission artist.

Then, Rockhold fell out of the picture with an injury three weeks prior to the March 5 event, and he probably wouldn't have guessed who Strikeforce would slot as the third and hopefully final replacement: Melvin Manhoef (24-8-1 MMA, 0-1 SF).

They couldn't have picked a fighter with a more contrasting style.

"I had Mike Tyson come out for a little bit," Kennedy joked to MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "He has short hooks and uppercuts similar to Melvin's. His ground game is about as good."

But despite Manhoef's shortcomings in the grappling department, it's a matchup that many would say is more dangerous for Kennedy because under the dictionary entry for "dangerous kickboxer," there's a picture for the Dutch fighter. All but one of his 23 professional wins come by way of knockout or TKO, and in an 16-year MMA career punctuated by breaks for professional kickboxing, Manhoef has gone past the first round only twice. And those weren't even in three-round fights.

Did Kennedy get the short end of the stick?

"(Mauricio) 'Shogun' (Rua) said it really well: I'm a fighter; I'm supposed to fight," Kennedy said. "So yeah, it's great to take fights that are great for your career, and I think a win over Jason Miller would have put me right back into title contention.

"But Melvin and I can put on a really exciting fight. My last fight was 24 minutes of stalking somebody trying to knock them out. So Melvin comes to play, and this could be 'Fight of the Night.'"

A performance bonus would certainly be nice after he faces an inevitable firestorm of punches in the first round. Most coaches and observers would offer an easy way out: take 'em down and grind 'em out. But Kennedy said that tact isn't in the spirit of mixed martial arts.

The spirit, he said, is to take whatever is available when the fight happens and do whatever makes the fans happy.

"By no means do I have an aversion to stepping in and punching with [Melvin]," Kennedy said. "But on the flip side, if the opportunity is there for me to pick him up and slam him, I'm going to do that, too. But I'm definitely coming to put on a show, and I want to knock him out."

After a disappointing decision loss to now-middleweight champion Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza this past August at "Strikeforce: Houston," it doesn't matter to Kennedy that the road back to the title is bumpy, as long he eventually gets another shot to prove he can be champion.

"I know I lost a really close decision to [Souza], which I'm mad about, of course," he said. "I thought I won the fight. So the 'Jacare' fight is in the past. I don't care. Now I'm looking forward to destroying Melvin and knocking him out.

"Whatever gets me back in the ring for a five-round title fight, so I can really be in the position I want to be, which is with the title around my waist."

Feb 7, 2006
"UFC 127: Penn vs. Fitch" weigh-ins set for Feb. 26 in Australia

Official fighter weigh-ins for this month's "UFC 127: Penn vs. Fitch" event are set for Saturday, Feb. 26.

Sydney, Australia's Acer Arena, which also hosts the following day's pay-per-view event and Jon Fitch vs. B.J. Penn headliner, plays host.

Doors open to the general public at 1 p.m. AEST local time, and the first fighter hits the scale at 2 p.m. AEST. Due to the time difference, the activities stream live to the U.S. on Friday, Feb. 25, at 10 p.m. ET.

As always, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) will be providing a live video stream of the festivities courtesy of the UFC.

In addition to the weigh-ins, members of the UFC's official fan club, the UFC Fight Club, are invited to a Q&A session with Kenny Florian later that begins at 2 p.m. AEST. An autograph session with Ryan Bader and Josh Koscheck is open to all fans and kicks off the afternoon at 10 a.m. AEST.

The official "UFC 127: Penn vs. Fitch" card includes:

MAIN CARD

* Jon Fitch vs. B.J. Penn
* Michael Bisping vs. Jorge Rivera
* Dennis Siver vs. George Sotiropoulos
* Chris Lytle vs. Brian Ebersole
* Chris Camozzi vs. Kyle Noke

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Spencer Fisher vs. Ross Pearson
* Alexander Gustafsson vs. James Te Huna
* Riki Fukuda vs. Nick Ring
* Mark Hunt vs. Chris Tuchscherer
* Maciej Jewtuszko vs. Curt Warburton
* Tom Blackledge vs. Anthony Perosh
* Jason Reinhardt vs. Tiequan Zhang

Feb 7, 2006
UFC boss: George Sotiropoulos "in the line" for title shot with UFC 127 win

Main-event competitors B.J. Penn and Jon Fitch aren't the only ones with something on the line at UFC 127.

Australian lightweight George Sotiropoulos (14-2 MMA, 7-0 UFC) might also earn a title shot with a win over German striker Dennis Siver (17-7 MMA, 6-4 UFC).

UFC president Dana White revealed on a recent conference call promoting the Feb. 27 event that Sotiropoulos might earn a shot at the belt with his eighth-straight octagon victory.

"If he can win and pull this fight out, he's in the line for the title shot," White said. "There's no doubt about it."

UFC 127 takes place Feb. 27 at Acer Arena in Sydney, Australia. The night's main card airs live on pay-per-view (on Feb. 26 in the U.S. due to the time difference).

Of course, the lightweight title line isn't short at the moment. Current champion Frankie Edgar and top contender Gray Maynard are due for a May rematch at UFC 130, and the WEC's final champion, Anthony Pettis, retains his spot in the rotation with a June win in an expected meeting with Clay Guida at The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale. Jim Miller's six-fight win streak and impressive career record also deserve a look.

That said, with two "Fight of the Night" wins in his past three outings, Sotiropoulos has carved out his own spot in the UFC's 155-pound division, according to White.

"This kid has been on a tear," White said. "He's so incredibly exciting to watch. You know, a lot of people talk about standup wars. Well, I love jiu-jitsu wars, too, and this guy has been in a ton of them.

"He's very exciting, very fun to watch and incredibly talented. And if he wins, he's on his way."

Sotiropoulos made his UFC debut as a cast member of "The Ultimate Fighter 6," where he was eliminated in the season's semifinals by Tommy Speer. Since that time, the grappling ace has reeled off wins over Joe Lauzon, Kurt Pellegrino, Joe Stevenson, Jason Dent, George Roop, Roman Mitichyan and Billy Miles.

From humble beginnings on the Spike TV-broadcast reality series, Sotiropoulos soon could bid to become the fourth former cast member of "The Ultimate Fighter" to hold UFC gold. With the series primed for worldwide expansion, White said Sotiropoulos is the perfect example of why the series remains successful.

"You know, we created 'TUF' to find the new up-and-coming talent guys who hopefully can become world champion someday," White said. "You never know when you're there watching them on the show, but you only hope."

Feb 7, 2006
Rampage vs. Hamill, Alves vs. Story official for UFC 130 in May

While the main card for May's UFC 130 event has been a bit uncertain as of late, the promotion is starting to firm up the plans.

UFC executives today announced a pair of previously reported contests for UFC 130, as Matt Hamill meets Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, and Thiago Alves faces Rick Story.

Featuring a lightweight title rematch between champ Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard, UFC 130 takes place May 30 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Jackson (31-8 MMA, 6-2 UFC) had been expected to face Thiago Silva at the event, but the Brazilian's status became an issue when the Nevada State Athletic Commission revealed the fighter's UFC 125 drug screen was still under investigation. While the NSAC has yet to file a formal complaint against Silva, the promotion has chosen to err on the side of caution.

Hamill (10-2 MMA, 9-2 UFC) enters the matchup on a five-fight win streak, albeit a bit of a dubious run with the inclusion of a disqualification victory over Jon Jones in December 2009. Nevertheless, "The Hammer" also counts wins over Tito Ortiz, Keith Jardine, Mark Munoz and Reese Andy during the run.

Meanwhile, Jackson is 3-1 in his past four bouts with wins over Lyoto Machida, Jardine and Wanderlei Silva and a lone decision loss to Rashad Evans.

Alves (18-7 MMA, 10-4 UFC) enters the fight on the strength of a unanimous decision win over John Howard at UFC 124. The victory was a much-needed result for the Brazilian striker who had struggled in back-to-back losses to UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre and Jon Fitch.

Meanwhile, Story (12-3 MMA, 5-1 UFC) looks to step up to the upper echelon of the 170-pound division after racking up five consecutive wins over the likes of Johny Hendricks, Dustin Hazalett, Nick Osipczak, Jesse Lennox and Brian Foster. Including his pre-UFC efforts, Story has earned victories in 11 of his past 12 outings.

Feb 7, 2006
Paul Daley to Nick Diaz, “Standing Toe-To-Toe With Me, Stupidest Game Plan Ever”

Now that Paul Daley has been named as the No. 1 contender for Nick Diaz’s Strikeforce welterweight belt, the British bomber is wasting no time getting ready for the eventual showdown.

While some call his upcoming fight against DEEP champion Yuya Shirai a risky proposition, knowing if he loses he won’t get the chance to even fight Diaz, Daley looks at it as a chance to leave his home in England with one belt before going to American to claim another.

“Not really,” Daley told MMAWeekly Radio when asked if there’s more pressure on him to win now in England. “If anything, it’s more of a motivation. It’s two belts for me in one fight. If I beat Shirai and then I beat Diaz. I see no problem with either of the opponents, so for me it’s two belts. Beating Shirai means Diaz is already dead. His expiry date is up as soon as Shirai is out of the way.”

Daley watched Diaz’s last title defense with great interest because he knew he’d more than likely face the winner. Now that Strikeforce has decreed him the new top dog in the welterweight contender’s race, he’s happy to critique his potential next opponent.

“Diaz does that and I think his boxing’s underrated,” Daley said about the Strikeforce welterweight champion’s willingness to stand with opponents. “I think his boxing is phenomenal. He’s a great striker and he’s a guy that comes to fight. It was a great display of that in that fight. He was fighting with Cyborg standing up, Cyborg took him down, and he carried on fighting and submitted him. As a fighter, Nick Diaz is phenomenal.”

Compliments aside, Daley does respect Diaz as a fighter, but knows in his heart of hearts that like many fighters before him, saying you’ll stand with Paul Daley is much different than actually standing and trading with Paul Daley.

“Although he’s fought a lot of guys standing up, he’s not fought me,” said Daley. “I don’t mean to be arrogant and I don’t mean to continue piping on about it, but I’m a whole different animal when it comes to the stand-up game and I’ve continued to get better.

“I highly doubt there’s anyone in the welterweight division in MMA at the moment that’s on the scene, that’s getting press, that hits as hard as me. I don’t believe there’s a middleweight fighter that can get hit by me and not be in serious trouble.”

Daley watches Diaz play to his opponent’s strengths in many past fights to make the contest more exciting if that’s what the fans want to see. The British fighter likes Diaz’s style for that very reason, but he’s still convinced that once they’re in the cage together, someone’s going to be diving for takedowns and it won’t be Daley.

He even has a message for Strikeforce’s top welterweight.

“Nick Diaz isn’t going to go toe to toe with me. More like my fist and his head landing at my toe, none of this toe to toe business,” Daley said.

“Diaz, everybody knows if you come stand toe to toe with me, that would be the most stupidest game plan he could ever have. I don’t care who you’ve fought, you’ve never fought me, you’ve never been hit by me.”

Daley has a way with words and he welcomes a verbal exchange with Diaz if that’s what the champion wants, because he knows at the end of the day it’s only going to help build the fight to an even bigger status.

“I don’t do it for publicity when I say his expiry date’s going to be up, that’s genuinely how I feel,” said Daley. “I think the build-up could be interesting. I think if Diaz lets his mouth flow away with him, I think it could be quite entertaining.”

Before Daley gets a chance to engage in too much trash talking with Diaz he must first beat Yuya Shirai at BAMMA 5 next week, and then he hopes to fight for the Strikeforce welterweight title sometime around mid to late April.

Feb 7, 2006
Roger Huerta Healing Up, Dispels Rumors of Retirement

Roger Huerta at one point in time was the hottest prospect in the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s lightweight division.

He ran his record to 20-1, racking up wins over fighters like Clay Guida, Alberto Crane, and Leonard Garcia. Huerta even became the first mixed martial artist to grace the cover of Sports Illustrated following his battle with Garcia.

His career then took a drastic turn. Mired in a very public squabble over his UFC contract, Huerta dropped his next two UFC bouts, to Kenny Florian and Gray Maynard, both of which are now Top 10 ranked fighters. His contract fulfilled, he then left the UFC.

Several months later, he emerged as a marquee signing for the fledgling Bellator Fighting Championships. He won his first bout, but then dropped back-to-back fights to Pat Curran and Bellator champion Eddie Alvarez.

That last loss, to Alvarez, was about four months ago, so the obligatory rumors of his pending retirement, especially considering his penchant for acting, started to flair up recently.

Like many athletes these days, Huerta took to his Twitter account to dispel the rumors on Saturday.

“Nah man all good. Just healing up and will be back at it in no time,” he wrote in response when asked if he was retiring.

He added that he currently doesn’t have any fights in the works, although MMAWeekly.com confirmed that he is still under contract with Bellator.

Feb 7, 2006
Strikeforce's Chad Griggs Ready To Be Taken Seriously

Heavyweight Chad Griggs has been the heavy underdog in both his Strikeforce fights.

Both times, he's shocked the MMA world. In August, Griggs beat Bobby Lashley after Lashley could not continue following the second round and then last Saturday, Griggs stopped prospect Gian Villante with strikes in the first round at "Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva." Despite the recent success, the man dubbed "The Mutton Chop Zombie" is keeping a level head.

"The ball's definitely rolling in my favor right now," Griggs told Bloody Elbow Radio on Thursday.

"(There's) a lot of support around here. It seems this (win) is really gaining me a good fan base now. People are starting to go, 'Hey, who is this guy? He might be the real deal, looks like he wants to get out and bang.'"

More than anything, Griggs is becoming known for his now-famous mutton chops. They've taken off to the point that even Villante wore a mock pair during the weigh-in before their fight.

"I definitely like my chops," Griggs said. "I tell everyone that's where my power comes from. ... I gotta have the chops. They've done me good so far, so I'm going to keep 'em."

Griggs used the power of the chops to punish Villante from bell-to-bell, never letting him breathe and rocking him with hard punches several times. Villante might've been the victim of public perception. Griggs said people saying his win over Lashley could've been a fluke pushed him to train even harder for his fight with Villante.

"I wanted to get out there in this one and go full throttle and say, 'Here I am,'" Griggs said. "I trained real hard on my conditioning. I knew this guy's conditioning was supposed to be real good, so I felt comfortable opening it up and throwing some big punches right off the bat. I felt like he was doing the same thing. As long as I had a little more energy than him, I was OK."

Now, though, with two straight finishes, both the fans and Strikeforce are starting to take the 10-1 Griggs seriously.

"I've definitely felt the change in attitude of Strikeforce (with) the way they're looking at me," Griggs said. "I think they're willing to start promoting me a little bit now instead of, 'Well, here he is, let's see how he does.' and building the other guys. It all comes down to excitement and what the fans want to see and I think the fans were happy with me and my performance in this one. I think (Strikeforce) sees that and wants to get me back out there."

Even though Strikeforce and the public have been slow to get aboard, his supporters have taken him seriously, some even making a bit of coin off Griggs' two big wins, as he came into both as the underdog.

"I've had a few people tell me they've made pretty good money on me now. I just tell them I don't want to know about it," he said, laughing. "I don't want to know about them betting and have that added pressure. If they want to do it, that's great, then afterwards, yeah, they let me know and I tell them they owe me a Gatorade."

Griggs' success is even more notable because he isn't even training full-time. In addition to being a fighter, Griggs also is a full-time firefighter. He says he gets in a workout or two a day when he is on duty and then can get in more when he's off.

"I'm still doing it and I'm going to have to until three or four more fights when they decide they really want to start paying me well," Griggs said, laughing.

The win over Villante could potentially secure Griggs a replacement bid in the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix Tournament if many things fall into place. Griggs says he is unsure if Strikeforce even knows what they're going to do if someone gets hurt, but he says he doesn't want to wait around.

"I'd like to have an idea of what I have coming," Griggs said. "So we'll see. There's been some talks of me and Shane (del Rosario) fighting, so I really don't know. I just hope I get another good opponent and have a chance to build my ranking and my credentials and have a good show."

Feb 7, 2006
Stephen Quadros Talks PRIDE, Fedor Emelianenko, and Social Distortion

Matthew: Stephen, you’ve been an announcer for quite some time. You’ve announced for PRIDE and now Strikeforce. Is it hard for you to still be a fan of the sport or is it now just a job for you?

Stephen: You know, it’s funny, I asked some of my friends over at Sherdog because there’s so much programing now with Strikeforce, UFC, Bellator, DREAM, Sengoku...so many fights that now we have to watch a lot of fights where as before it was such a small universe we watched because we were such rabid fans. But yes, I am still a big fan. I’m a huge fan and I think that it comes through in the work when you’re a huge fan.

Matthew: You’ve worked in Japan, how is the atmosphere different for a big MMA show in Japan like PRIDE than in Strikeforce?

Stephen: PRIDE, back while I was there between 2000 and 2003, there was a lot of respect for the grappling game. People didn’t boo when it went to the floor or scream or anything like that. And sometimes that happens here in the States. But there has been more education in the United States. The difference was back then, the PRIDE shows, they treated the fighters like rock stars. The fans did, the promotion did. They were really well taken care of. It was almost a too good to be true scenario because PRIDE did go out of business. I think that maybe there should have been a more frugal game plan for Pride but I’m not going to get into the nit picking of why it went out of business. But right now, with the in roads of Strikeforce and the UFC, the perception of the ground game as well as the whole "mixed" element of Mixed Martial Arts is giving it an appreciation to people that don’t want anything more than just a "bar room brawl."

For Quadros on the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix, the rise of Fedor, and his cameo in a Social Distortion music video, keep reading after the jump.

Matthew: Right now, Strikeforce is working on putting together a heavyweight tournament, which is the best tournament since the Pride days. How do you think it will play out? There has been some controversy with Fedor’s management and it’s hard to get eight different camps to come together. Was it similar in Pride or do you think there’s gonna be some hiccups for Strikeforce management?

Stephen: Well, you’ve got to understand, you mentioned Fedor’s camp and the difficulty...the first PRIDE Grand Prix, Royce Gracie demanded special rules. So that was a situation where that was a tournament, where everybody else fought by one set of rules and Royce fought by his own rules. It ended up working out because Kazushi Sakuraba in fact defeated Royce Gracie in that 90 minute fight. Fast forward to now, almost 11 years later, actually it is 11 years later, and we’ve got the Heavyweight Grand Prix for Strikeforce. I think it’s just a phenomenal situation where you’ve got guys, like a wrecking machine like Kharitonov. Antonio Silva beating Emelianenko the way he did, dominating him in the second round, really smashing him up. And of course you’ve got those two big fights coming up with Brett Rogers and Josh Barnett. On the other side is the rematch, the grudge match, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu versus Dutch Muay Thai. Alistair Overeem, the K-1 World Grand Prix Champion, going against the newly black belted Muay Thai fighter, who is a former World Champion in Jiu Jitsu in Fabricio Werdum. These are insane matches. Nobody thought this could happen. In fact, some people were telling me "I hear from some inside source on the internet that it’s not gonna happen". And my response was "Oooohhh if you heard it on the internet then for suuuuuree..." you fill in the blank from there.

Matthew: You have been doing this for quite some time, what was your favorite moment?

Stephen: That question is so unfair but since you asked it I’ll answer it. My favorite moment and this makes me look like a total nostalgac..."back when this happened"...the 90 minute fight, Royce Gracie versus Sakuraba, c’mon. When that fight ended, the reaction, from the usually quiet and subdued, relative to the North American crowds, the crowd erupted and it was pretty insane. Not only was it a national thing, the Japanese fighter beat the Brazilian fighter, but it was the Pro-Wrestler beat the serious Martial Artist, so the repercussions were heard around the world at the time. But there’s been so many other great moments. Working here at Strikeforce and Strikeforce Challengers, I’ve commentated on that one fight and this is just a random fight I’m pulling out of the air. When Robbie Lawler was getting his legs thrashed by Melvin Manhoef and it looked like he was gonna be walking around on crutches for a month or two and then he drops the bomb, that was pretty crazy. One time in Cage Rage, when Melvin Manhoef, he’s a crazy guy, he fought Cyborg and they were swinging so hard that they dropped their hands because they were so tired they couldn’t hold them up anymore. They were so tired they were about to teeter over and fall over. These are just random moments. Obviously, when Emelianenko won the title, see you ask for one and I give you twelve. When Emelianenko first came to PRIDE they thought, "What are we going to do with this pot-bellied guy, he’s losing his hair...ooooh put him in with Semmy Schilt". He beat Semmy Schilt, he beat Heath Herring in his next fight, and his next fight he’s against Rodrigo Nogueria who at the time was the fighter of the year. And everybody said "stay out of his guard, stay out of his guard" and what does he do? He jumps into Nogueria’s guard and beats the hell out of him and takes the title, that was another great moment.

Matthew: Going along with that, is it tough for you to remove your fan hat and call the fights straight in the booth?

Stephen: I think that I’m pretty good and it’s pretty natural for me to call it straight. It’s funny because I remember back in the day, there was a really famous kick boxer who said when he gets inside the ring he doesn’t have any friends. A lot of the times, I’m friendly with a lot of camps and I have a really good relationship with most of them and when I work...I try to be truthful and call the action as it is. I don’t play a bias. Other people might do that and I don’t criticize them for it but my style is to be as objective as I possibly can.

Matthew: Changing the subject for a little bit from MMA, you were recently in a Social Distortion music video shoot. How’d that come about and how was that experience?

Stephen: The director of the project was a film director named Jeremy Arthurs, he gets his films produced by David Lynch. But this particular thing is he’s done a lot of music videos. He did New Found Glory’s last one, I actually couldn’t work on that one; Bas worked on that one which was amazing, I wish I could have been there. But this particular one came up when Jeremy called me up and said "Hey, want to be in this music video?" I said, "Well, talk to me". He said "Social Distortion" and I said "I’m in!" They’re a great band. They date back to the late 70s, early 80s when I was on the scene with a band named Snow on the opposite side of the island because Social Distortion was a punk band and we were a long-haired hard rock band. Back then, the two didn’t quite mix too well. Now, it’s anybody’s game, it doesn’t matter if you got short hair or long hair. Mike Ness and the crew, aw man. Mike Ness has been training with a boxing coach and he told me "Stephen, I want to come down and train with you. You do privates?" And I said "yeah, please come down, take my class. We’ll work on this or whatever." Great guys and this song "Machine Gun Blues", the motif was 1940s. A bank robbery, they were totally gangster with fedoras and three piece suits and tommy guns. It was awesome!

Matthew: Continuing on music, I know you’re a drummer. I’ve seen you play drums at the Tap Out offices on Ryan Loco’s film series "The Loco Life". What do you think needs to happen with the music in MMA to get it away from the "Jock-Bro: I have really bad tattoos and awful t-shirts" to a more musical appreciation?

Stephen: One of the first fighters to take a stand was Matt Hughes with "A Country Boy Can Survive" and I think that a number of people are starting to move away from the stereotypical hardcore gangster rap and hardcore death metal. I like Hip Hop and I like Metal as well but the thing is that when people come out like Tom Lawlor and take chances. Sometimes he wins and sometimes he loses but he’s a showman and I really appreciate the fact that he’ll come out to some crazy music. I’m waiting for someone to come out to "They’re Coming to Take Me Away" by Napoleon way back in the 60’s.

Matthew: Thank you for your time Stephen.

Feb 7, 2006
Minotauro: “(GSP) won’t keep Anderson on the ground"

Former Pride and UFC heavyweight champion, Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira spoke with TATAME and celebrated his friend Anderson Silva’s victory over Vitor Belfort, the possibility of Anderson fighting Georges St. Pierre, and also commented Maurício Shogun’s title fight against Jon Jones, at UFC 128:

What did you think of Anderson’s fight?

It was huge, it was a great fight. Once again Brazil got another title fight on the same weight class with Brazilians. There was Thales, than Demian Maia, Vitor Belfort… Everybody’s trying to stop the “Spider”, right? The Brazilian got the call to stop the Spider and none could do it. Anderson has proven why he’s the best of the world. They matched up a fight between two of the best strikers in Brazil, and you could see what happened. Everybody knew this fight would end with a knockout, and Anderson Silva showed an unorthodox kick, something Vitor wasn’t expecting, so he really surprised Vitor Belfort, who was the best challenger Anderson confronted lately. Everybody was expecting it to be tied until the end, but Anderson showed why he’s the best.

Vitor trained with you at BTT, at Team Nogueira, you were friends… How was it for you?

We still are friends, but today the team was Vitor Belfort’s opponent. We’re friends, I like Vitor, I know his entire family, I’ve met everybody. Vitor trained at my house and I’ve trained at his, but unfortunately he wanted to fight Anderson Silva, he wanted a shot to become a world champion and, like always, the team got together and we did our best to help Anderson. Unfortunately I couldn’t help Anderson like I wanted to because I’m coming from injuries, two surgeries… But I’m here today, I came here and got here on the day of the fight, I hung out with Anderson, talked with him a little about his game plan, and he did everything right, walked for his right and left sides, waited for Vitor to stand in front of him, you can notice that he moved left or right, and never stopped, and then when Vitor stopped, he hit him with a coup right on the middle of his face and finished the fight. It’s a coup he’s done several times, he hit me like that twice and it made me dizzy, I’ve seen Rogerio going down with it, Feijão too, so it’s not something he created out of nowhere. Everybody that trains with him know it’s lethal.

How it’ll be now? Will he fight Georges St. Pierre? How do you think it’ll be like? GSP has a complete game too…

Yes, indeed. A guy is a good wrestler. He might stop Anderson Silva with his Wrestling skills, but he won’t keep Anderson on the ground. Our champion is a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt, he’s really good, he’s improving… Vitor Belfort, who’s a Carlson Gracie’s black belt, couldn’t keep him on the ground, and it’s not Georges St. Pierre the one who’ll keep him down. Anderson’s reach is bigger, Anderson’s stronger. I’d like this fight to be in Brazil. It’ll be awesome.

What do you expect from Shogun vs Jones?

Jones will be a tough opponent for Shogun, he’s doing just fine on Wrestling, he’s excited. The guy’s coming of a good sequence of wins, but Shogun is one of our most experienced fighters, his catch is very strong, he’s much experience while standing, he’s a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt, he has a great half guard, and I think he’ll beat the guy on his half guard… If he starts to strike, Jon Jones doesn’t have a tough chin to handle Shogun (laughs).

WXS STOMP3R

SENIOR GANG MEMBER
Feb 27, 2006

What do you expect from Shogun vs Jones?

Jones will be a tough opponent for Shogun, he’s doing just fine on Wrestling, he’s excited. The guy’s coming of a good sequence of wins, but Shogun is one of our most experienced fighters, his catch is very strong, he’s much experience while standing, he’s a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt, he has a great half guard, and I think he’ll beat the guy on his half guard… If he starts to strike, Jon Jones doesn’t have a tough chin to handle Shogun (laughs).

RIGHT NOW SHOGUN IS THE DOG ON ALL THE MMA LINES...I DROPPED A FEW BILLS ON SHOGUN...JONES LOOKED DECENT AGAINST BADER BUT HIS STRIKING STILL ISNT ALL THAT GREAT...FOR ALL HIS REACH HE DOESNT UTILIZE A JAB AT ALL...AND AGAINST SHOGUN HES GONNA NEED IT.

May 17, 2004
RIGHT NOW SHOGUN IS THE DOG ON ALL THE MMA LINES...I DROPPED A FEW BILLS ON SHOGUN...JONES LOOKED DECENT AGAINST BADER BUT HIS STRIKING STILL ISNT ALL THAT GREAT...FOR ALL HIS REACH HE DOESNT UTILIZE A JAB AT ALL...AND AGAINST SHOGUN HES GONNA NEED IT.
the main reason im leaning towards jones is that shogun has been out injured for so long. Will he have the stamina (unlike when he fought forrest)? hes going to have some degree of ring rust too. cant really simulate a real fight with sparring? but im still pulling for shogun and might put a little money on him just because hes the underdog on the lines

Feb 7, 2006
Poirier, Yahya to Collide in UFC’s Vancouver Return

The fast-rising Dustin Poirier will lock horns with Brazilian jiu-jitsu ace Rani Yahya in a showdown between high-caliber featherweights at UFC 131 on June 11 at the Rogers Arena in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Poirier confirmed the bout via Twitter. Heavy.com was first to report the pivotal 145-pound matchup.

Based in Lafayette, La., Poirier trains under “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 7 semifinalist Tim Credeur. The 22-year-old thrust himself into the Top 10 at 145 pounds with his one-sided unanimous decision against Josh Grispi in his promotional debut at UFC 125 on New Year’s Day. A potent standup fighter, Poirier has secured eight of his nine career victories by knockout, technical knockout or submission. He will carry a two-fight winning streak into his appearance at UFC 131.

Yahya last competed at UFC “Fight for the Troops 2” in January, when he defeated former World Extreme Cagefighting featherweight king Mike Thomas Brown by unanimous decision. A respected Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt, the 26-year-old won a gold medal at the 2007 Abu Dhabi Combat Club Submission Wrestling World Championships. Yahya’s grappling skills have served him well in MMA competition, too, as he has notched 14 of his 16 wins by submission. Victories over former WEC bantamweight champion Eddie Wineland, Dream veteran Yoshihiro Maeda and top featherweight contender Mark Hominick strengthen his resume.

A heavyweight duel pairing former champion Brock Lesnar with once-beaten Brazilian standout Junior dos Santos will likely headline the event, which has not yet been made official by the promotion. In addition, two-time UFC lightweight title contender Kenny Florian expects to make his debut at 145 pounds against the world-ranked Diego Nunes.

Feb 7, 2006
‘Junior’ Settles Score with ‘Crocota,’ Constrictor Team Shines at JF 25

For the second time in two months, Edilberto “Crocota” de Oliveira and Sergio “Junior” Melo couldn’t live up to the hype.

However, Saturday night at Jungle Fight 25 in Vila Velha, Brazil, resolution in a rematch between of Brazil's most well-respected welterweights was achieved.

After their controversial draw at Jungle Fight 24 last December, which divided the Brazilian MMA community, it was Melo who prevailed in the rematch, taking a split decision after three rounds.

Both fighters started out slowly, looking hesitant to engage in exchanges. After the feeling-out process, it was Melo that started to surge ahead of de Oliveira, landing the majority of hard, clean strikes. Aside from a straight right that buckled Melo’s knees in the latter part of the opening frame, it seemed that “Crocota,” who displayed angry facial expressions throughout the fight, never seemed to do any real damage in the duel.

While every round of the fight was close, they all followed the same pattern with “Junior” winning most of the exchanges and Oliveira, unable to hurt his opponent on the feet, eventually trying to take Melo down. “Crocota” also had a point deducted in the third period after landing a punch to the face as referee Carlos Barreto intervened to restart the fight. In the end, Melo got a well-deserved decision win, even if one of the judges somehow saw the fight in favor of “Crocota.” As is common in Brazil, no official judges or scores were announced.

“I wasn’t able to use combinations against him,”said an emotional Melo after the bout. “Tonight, I wasn’t able to use my combinations, but the important thing is that I managed show that I have heart and got the win.”

Melo is undefeated since his joining forces with Renovacao Fight Team.

It was a strong night for prospects from Constrictor Team, as the gym that produced Rani Yahya and Paulo Thiago saw two of their young stars, Renato “Moicano” Carneiro and Francisco “Massaranbuda” Drinaldo get strong wins.

Carneiro survived his first real test to snag a unanimous decision victory against super-tough Fortaleza, Brazil, native “Andrezinho” Nogueira. After starting out strong and connecting with several hard strikes to Nogueira´s face, “Moicano” got dropped by a huge right cross from Andrezinho. The Fighter Sport product pounced on “Moicano” with a barrage of punches that seemed to have him on the brink of defeat. However, the 21-year-old managed to absorb the damage and recover.

Even after enduring a brutal display of ground-and-pound, Carneiro didn’t change his approach in the second and third rounds of the fight. He still came out as the aggressor, chasing Nogueira around the ring and using his reach advantage to control the distance and outstrike his opponent.

“Moicano” showed why he is one of the best Brazilian prospects by overcoming a terrible first round en route to winning stages two and three and rightfully getting a unanimous decision win to advance to 4-0 in his young career.

“I know I lost the first round; I don’t have to ask anyone about that,” proclaimed Carneiro after the fight. “I was hit in the face like I’ve never been hit before, but I wasn’t about to give up.”

Carneiro’s teammate Drinaldo put on a beating on tough Hikari fighter Joao Paulo, who took the bout on short notice after Rodrigo Damm pulled out of the contest

Looking much smaller than his opponent, Paulo couldn’t put any offense together against “Massaranduba,” who’s on the comeback trail after losing in the Jungle Fight lightweight grand prix to UFC lightweight Yuri “Marajo” Alcantara last September.

Using his size advantage to bully Paulo, Massaranduba’s game plan consisted of getting his opponent to the ground and brutalizing him with punches. Drinaldo spent all three rounds on top of his prey and punishing with hard punches en route to the decision win.

Unbeaten heavyweight Edinaldo Oliveira is known as “Lula Molusco,” the Brazilian name for Spongebob Squarepants’ compatriot Squidward, but he was dead serious against Antidio Neto. It took just 63 seconds for the 6-foot-7 Baiano to launch a crushing right cross that knocked his foe out cold, and left him on the mat unconscious for two minutes. Neto eventually left the cage under his own power.

In a potent display of wrestling, middleweight up-and-comer Marcelo Guimaraes double-legged Paulo Henrique Garcia Rodrigues repeatedly for three rounds. So potent was the wrestling of “Magrao” that in the second round he actually drove Rodrigues to the mat over top of referee Fabiano Frances, who had his shoe knocked off in the display of explosiveness. Guimaraes slowed late, but took a deserved unanimous decision in the end.

In another middleweight affair, Vila Velha native Wilians Santos opened up a gash on the face of Ascir Caetano that forced a doctor stoppage in the third round, giving the popular local the TKO victory.

The evening’s opener saw Luiz Guilherme de Andrade punch out Valdir Silva at 3:40 of round one.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC: Ortiz Injured; Davis In to Face Nogueira

An injury has sidelined Tito Ortiz from his bout with Antonio Rogerio Nogueira at UFC Fight Night 24.

Ortiz will be replaced by undefeated light heavyweight contender Phil Davis of Alliance MMA. UFC President Dana White announced the injury and Davis’ substitution on his verified Twitter account Saturday afternoon.

“Tito has pulled out of fight night due to getting stitches,” stated a post on White’s Twitter account. “8-0 Phil Davis will be fighting Lil Nog now and is pumped for this fight!”

Davis, hailing from Harrisburg, Penn., is 4-0 in the UFC. The former Penn State University standout wrestler last saw action in an impressive submission of Tim Boetsch in November 2010.

Nogueira (19-4), the twin brother of MMA legend Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, is coming off a tough loss to prospect Ryan Bader at UFC 119.

UFC Fight Night 24 will go down March 26 at the Key Arena in Seattle, and will likely be headlined by the Nogueira-Davis tilt.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 127's Bisping unimpressed with Rivera's fabricated pre-fight trash talk

Middleweight Michael Bisping (20-3 MMA, 10-3 UFC) says Jorge Rivera's comedy routine is beyond offensive – it's disingenuous.

Bisping claims the jokes made at his expense in videos produced by Rivera (18-7 MMA, 8-5 UFC) and company have been coupled with peace offerings sent through an unnamed UFC intermediary. That's almost as big of an insult.

"He's sending messages to me (that say) 'Oh, nothing personal,'" Bisping told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "If you're going to talk [expletive], be a man and accept responsibility for it."

Rivera pokes ample fun at the winner of "The Ultimate Fighter 3" in two online videos that have splashed across the Web in advance of their co-main event fight at UFC 127, which takes place Feb. 27 at Acer Arena in Sydney.

The 38-year-old Rivera this past week told MMAjunkie.com Radio that the videos were created to entertain MMA fans and build interest in the fight. The jokes are all in good fun.

But Bisping is not laughing, particularly when it comes to several barbs about his heritage. He said his opponent should grow up.

"He's criticized me and ridiculed me for being English," the 31-year-old fighter said. "He's being racist – let's be honest. If he was making fun of me because I was Jewish or black, there would be an uproar. But because I'm English, that's OK. He's out of order, and I'm going to make him pay for it."

Rivera has accused Bisping of being a hit-and-run fighter and has promised to make their meeting an all-out slugfest. Bisping counters that he's earned seven finishes in 13 octagon appearances and has every intention of making his opponent eat his words.

"He's off his [expletive] head, pardon my language," Bisping said. "I try to put my opponents away. It's just that I've fought guys that are hard to finish. (Yoshihiro) Akiyama is hard to finish, Chris Leben is hard to finish; Dan Miller has never been finished. These are hard guys, and I've kicked their asses, with all due respect. They were a mess after the fight; it looked like a hand grenade exploded in their face.

"If Jorge Rivera thinks I'm going to be backpedaling the whole time and scared of him, then I want some of what he's smoking because it's obviously good [expletive]."

Bisping this past fall requested a fight with perennial middleweight contender Nate Marquardt, who had just emerged from a lackluster decision loss to Yushin Okami at UFC 122. But when Rivera called him out following a canceled fight with Alessio Sakara at the Nov. 13 event, Bisping quickly changed course and accepted the fight.

Career-wise, it's not the most linear move for Bisping. who most recently defeated Akiyama by unanimous decision at UFC 120 this past October. But he said it's always easier to get motivated for an opponent with which he has bad blood. And Rivera fits the bill.

"I felt that with the momentum I'd gained in my last few fights, I was looking to someone who was a little nearer to a title shot, and I still feel the same way," noted Bisping. "That said, he's been making these videos talking smack, insulting me (and) insulting my family; insulting my career. Of course it's made me want to make an example of him."

If all goes according to plan, will Bisping forgive and forget inside the cage afterward? Don't bet on it. The way Bisping sees it, if you pick a side, you better stick to it.

"I'm never going to see [Rivera] again," he said. "He's not on my Christmas card list, so it doesn't really matter whether or not we've squashed the feelings or not. I'm going to go out there (and) I'm going to beat him up, make a fool out of him, and that's that.

"He's acting like a child. He's 38 years old; you'd think he'd know better. I'm just getting on with my training and trying to prepare accordingly. Whereas he's selling his soul for the sake of a few YouTube hits. Ultimately, he's making a fool out of himself ... acting like a retard. Good luck to him."

Feb 7, 2006
Tim Credeur And Ed Herman Expected To Square Off At TUF 13 Finale

Tim Credeur and Ed Herman are expected to make their returns to the Octagon as part of “The Ultimate Fighter Season 13″ finale on June 4 at The Pearl at The Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas.

MMAWeekly.com sources on Saturday confirmed that the fight has been verbally agreed to. It was first reported by Heavy.com.

The TUF 13 finale will be the first bout in nearly two years for both fighters.

Credeur (12-3) last fought in a loss to Nate Quarry at UFC Fight Night 19 in September of 2009. That loss knocked him off of a six-fight winning streak. He has since been scheduled to return to the Octagon on several occasions, but has been derailed due to various injuries.

Herman (19-7) hasn’t competed since August 2009, when he lost by TKO due to a knee injury inflicted by Aaron Simpson. The loss was Herman’s third in his four most recent attempts. He is in strong need of a win over Credeur if he is to resurrect his UFC career. He is 4-5 overall in the Octagon.

In addition to the TUF 13 finals, a lightweight showdown between former WEC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis and fellow UFC title contender Clay Guida will highlight the fight card.