MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
UFC EXPANSION PROMISES CANADIAN TAKEOVER

The Ultimate Fighting Championship on Tuesday proclaimed “Oh, Canada!” in a big way.

The promotion held a special press conference at the Rogers Centre in Toronto where the company’s top two executives – UFC president Dana White and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta – revealed plans for a Canadian office in Toronto. They also announced that former Canadian Football League commissioner Tom Wright would be the Dana White of the Great White North, heading up the Canadian office.

Opening up a headquarters in Canada doesn’t carry the glitz of announcing the promotion’s first live event in Toronto (where sanctioning has yet to be achieved) or a Team Canada vs. Team USA themed “Ultimate Fighter” for the country’s MMA fans. Fertitta’s full-time move to the UFC a couple of years ago didn’t carry that “Wow!” factor for fans either, but this is a move that, like Fertitta, will likely slip under the radar, but do the backbone work for the flashy moves that fans can latch onto.

“Now that we look back, it actually was a big deal,” White said of Fertitta’s focus on the UFC. “There’s only so much one guy can do. Now that Lorenzo’s here, he took on the initiative to go global.”

In the time that Fertitta came on board full-time: UFC 100 was beamed live into 75 countries across the globe; the promotion debuted live events in Germany, Australia, and Abu Dhabi; sold a 10-percent stake to an Abu Dhabi company to help facilitate quicker expansion into difficult markets; and secured numerous television deals across the globe, perhaps most importantly in China.

In short, the move paid off in spades.

The UFC has delegated much of its European and international responsibilities to Marshall Zelaznik, who recently made the move from UFC U.K. President to Managing Director of International Development.

Where Zelaznik heads much of the European and international efforts to expand the sport and the UFC brand into new markets, Wright will do much of the same in Canada, breaking down barriers in provinces where sanctioning still lags. But there’s much more to it than sanctioning according to Fertitta.

“The UFC is not just about throwing a live event,” said the UFC CEO. “Canada represents about 17 percent of our overall business as a company now. So we look to grow that.

“In addition to that, we have initiatives in new media, Video-On-Demand, video games, a thriving merchandise business. We’re in the process of rolling out UFC gyms in the market. The list really goes on and on and on.

“There is a whole business that needs to be run up here, PR, marketing, the whole gamut, so that’s what Tom will be doing.”

The UFC feels that Wright is the right man for the job.

“He brings a unique blend of business experience and sports experience,” said Fertitta. “He ran Adidas Canada for 11 years, he ran Solomon North America for two years, and was also the commissioner for the Canadian Football League for four years.”

Wright works and lives in Toronto, proclaiming deep ties with his community both personally and professionally. He’s worked with the Special Olympics in Canada, and feels that he has something special to offer with the UFC’s expansion efforts.

“After my family, my passions are sports and my country,” stated Wright, beaming with enthusiasm. “I think I bring a unique perspective and a different blend to build the UFC operations here in Canada. I can’t tell you how excited I am about this.”

Feb 7, 2006
BOWLING TALKS EYE POKE, STRIKEFORCE FUTURE

Things couldn’t have been going better for Roger Bowling in his Strikeforce debut.

Throughout the first two rounds of his Challengers Series fight this past Friday, Bowling appeared to get the better of Bobby Voelker, with no signs of change going into the third.

Things quickly soured though when what was a routine separation of the two fighters from the side of the cage by the referee turned into a freak accident as Bowling’s eye caught part of Voelker’s glove.

Bowling was unable to see, the fight was stopped, and he was given the victory via technical decision, ending his debut in a way nobody wanted.

“I was a little upset about that,” said Bowling to MMAWeekly.com. “I felt like it ruined the first couple rounds that I worked really hard for. I hated to see the fight turn out that way.”

According to Bowling, he wanted to continue, but was unable to act in accordance with doctor’s instructions, ending the fight.

“The doctors were telling me, ‘You’ve got to open your eye if you want to fight,’ but when you get poked in the eye, you can’t open it, especially as bright as the lights are in the cage,” stated Bowling. “My eye would not come open.

“I was repeatedly asking them if I could flush it out and telling them that I was okay to continue. It’s nothing more than if your eye swells shut, you can still fight, but obviously they wouldn’t let me continue. It was real unfortunate that the fight ended that way.”

While there was some initial concern of damage to the eye, Bowling says things are fine now.

“Six hours after the fight I flushed it out and was able to open it,” he said. “I was seeing double, and kind of had blurred vision for the night. The next day things were better, and the following day it was pretty much back to normal.”

With there being no evidence that Voelker’s camp will issue an appeal in regards to the fight’s technical decision, both Strikeforce and Bowling are eager to continue their working relationship.

“They just texted me and told me they’d like to have me back as soon as possible,” announced Bowling. “I’m looking forward to fighting for them again soon.

“Whatever Strikeforce wants me to do right now, I’m their fighter. I’m still learning every day and I’m just excited to be fighting for an organization such as them. They’re taking care or me, so whatever they want, I’ll do it.”

Even though his debut didn’t end the way it started, Bowling still impressed with his showing last Friday and can make an immediate impact should he remain healthy the rest of the year.

“Thanks to my team, Vision MMA; and my strength and conditioning coach, Matt,” he concluded. “Thanks to my sponsors: Full Tilt Poker, Beacon Orthopedics, Bangtown Fightwear, Misfit Clothing and Intimidation Clothing.

“The fans should keep your eyes out for me and thanks for all your support.”

Feb 7, 2006
RAMPAGE'S MISSION: SEEK AND DESTROY RASHAD

There are a lot of important days ahead for former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson. The debut of the "A-Team" movie starring Jackson hits theaters this summer, but more importantly the Memphis native looks to get back to his first love, fighting, on May 29 when he faces rival Rashad Evans at UFC 114.

From day one, the outspoken former champion has been proud that he was picked for the role on the "A-Team" made famous by 80's icon Mr. T. Make no mistake about it though, for all the pride Jackson showed in the past for his movie career, now his attention is on one thing and one thing only.

Destroying Rashad Evans.

"I all ready forgot I did a damn movie. It got nothing to do with this fight you know what I’m saying?" said Jackson recently "A fight is different from a movie. To me it’s all work. It’s all how I make a living; you know what I’m saying? So the movie’s been done with a long time ago and I’ve been training ever since I got off the damn set. I don’t even think about the movie no more. I’m thinking about this fight."

The fight has saturated Jackson's mind for months and his dislike of Evans shows in everything he says about the former "Ultimate Fighter" competitor. Jackson has no problem taking a shot at Evans, and believes that the former champion will actually be his tune-up fight before taking on Mauricio "Shogun" Rua for the 205-pound title later this year.

"This is a tune-up fight," Jackson exclaimed. "What the hell are you talking (about)?"

Looking at Evans, Jackson sees a flawed fighter who didn't defend his title belt after winning it, and says the former Michigan State wrestler shouldn't even be in this fight, but extreme dislike has made him step up to face the challenge.

"Rashad, he has no title. He couldn’t even hold on to the belt after one fight. So it’s like why am I even fighting this guy; you know what I’m saying?" questioned Jackson.

"Then after I did ‘The Ultimate Fighter,’ now I know why I’m fighting this guy, because I want to teach guys like this a lesson to keep his mouth shut when you ain’t on the same level as the next man. So that’s why – that’s the motivation for this fight and it’s like a (moral) victory. It’s not up there with a title shot or no big accomplishment."

The trash talk between Jackson and Evans may end up going down as the most epic in the history of the sport. Rampage believes that Evans is talking now because the fight will be a different story come Saturday night.

"Rashad don’t want to fight, he’s just acting. That’s just him putting up an act. He’s going to run. He’s going to try to do his little weak ass takedowns," Jackson stated. "That boy don’t want to fight. That boy do not want to fight, I guarantee you. All of this talking he’s doing it ain’t going to pay off. I guarantee you."

The pay off though is big for both fighters.

Beyond bragging rights, a shot at the UFC light heavyweight title also hangs in the balance for the winner. That's the prize that both of them want when this is all over.

Despite all the hype and trash talk, Jackson still takes Evans very seriously and title shot or no title shot, this is the fight that Rampage has been waiting for.

"Well the title shot is kind of weird... because I’ve been training for this fight like it was the title shot,” said Jackson. "I’ve been training five rounds, so I still feel like I’m champion in my mind. So for it to be a title shot next just makes it sweet. I’ll just go right into it and keep training those five rounds and get my belt back, get back on the right track of being one of the best fighters in the world."

Feb 7, 2006
SAFFIEDINE BUILDING TOWARDS STRIKEFORCE TITLE

Nobody likes to end his time with a promotion with a loss, especially if you had been on a multi-fight winning streak prior. That is the situation Team Quest welterweight Tarec Saffiedine found himself in last October.

Having entered Dream with the hopes of becoming a title contender, Saffiedine’s loss to enigmatic Dong Sik Yoon in his second fight for the promotion derailed those hopes.

With his six-fight winning streak snapped, Saffiedine was in need of a change and has found it in Strikeforce.

A win over highly regarded up and comer James Terry in February was followed by his first ever knockout victory when he KO’d Nate Moore this past Friday, putting Saffiedine back on track towards title contention.

“That first round I was testing the water,” Saffiedine told MMAWeekly.com. “I did not know about him, so I was just trying to see what he had.

“Then in the second round I tried to put more pressure and ended up knocking him out. The fight went the way I wanted.”

According to Saffiedine, he wanted to make a statement after recent performances didn’t go to his liking.

“My last couple fights ended in decision; for sure I really want to keep trying to work on (finishing) for my next couple fights,” he said.

“When I lost, I made a lot of mistakes, especially in camp and techniques leading up to the fight. I learned a lot from this fight and came out a better fighter.”

Two wins over young prospects have put Saffiedine on top of Strikeforce’s Challengers Series, but he feels that sooner than later he’ll have an opportunity that will really put him on the title contender’s map.

“I haven’t talked to Strikeforce, my manager hasn’t told me anything yet, but I believe that my next fight will be really tough,” he stated.

“I don’t really look for somebody, especially because there’s a ton of good guys, but whoever Strikeforce wants me to fight, I’ll fight.”

Having gotten himself back on track in impressive fashion in Strikeforce, Saffiedine could become a major player in the company’s welterweight division when the situation arises.

“Thank you for this interview; and of course, thank you to my family, friends, my fiancé, my sponsor Clinch Gear and all my teammates from Team Quest,” he said in closing.

“I want to say a big thanks to the people that support me: the fans and everybody who watched my fight on Friday. Keep your eyes on me and I promise an exciting a next fight for the people watching me.”

Feb 7, 2006
MILLER VS TIBAU SEPT. 15, TUF 12 DEBUT EXPECTED

While his brother Dan prepares for a co-main event fight against Michael Bisping at UFC 114 this weekend, Jim Miller will be prepping for a fight of his own against Gleison Tibau on Sept. 15 at UFC Fight Night 22. No venue or location for the bout has been determined yet.

Rumors had circled that Miller and Tibau would meet at UFC on Versus 2 in Salt Lake City on Aug. 1, but sources close to the negotiations confirmed to MMAWeekly.com on Monday that the bout was currently expected set for Sept. 15.

While the UFC has yet to announce any events for September, UFC Fight Night 22 will serve as the lead-in to “The Ultimate Fighter Season 12” when it premiers on Spike TV. Featuring coaches Georges St-Pierre and Josh Koscheck, Season 12 of the reality show is currently set to start filming in June.

Miller vs. Tibau is expected to be a featured bout on the UFC Fight Night main card. It is currently the only fight rumored for the September show.

MMAWeekly.com will have more information on the September 15 UFC Fight Night card as it becomes available.

Feb 7, 2006
Yoshida Dojo X DREAM?! Under Negotiation

According to a ZAKZAK article Yoshida Dojo are currently negotiating with the people behind DREAM to have their fighters fight at DREAM events. If they come to a deal all Yoshida Dojo fighters could fight in DREAM this summer. However, Michihiro Omigawa is looking at entering an American promotion as well.

Feb 7, 2006
FINAL16 X FINAL?! One Event, Two Tournaments

On July 5th the event called “K-1 WORLD MAX 2010 -70kg World Championship Tournament FINAL16 / -63kg Japan Tournament FINAL” will take place at the national Yoyogi Stadium 1st Gymnasium. At this time Yoshihiro Sato, Albert Kraus, and Yuichiro “Jienotsu” Nagashima are planned participants for the -70kg FINAL16.

Feb 7, 2006
Five Applicants Selected! Support From Other Promotions

SRC have announced the first 5 names for their Bantamweight Asia GP starting at an event titled “SRC Asia vol.1″ on July 4th.

Takuya Eizumi from Pancrase will move up a weight class to participate. He fought the two best Flyweights in Pancrase and defeated Yuichiro Yajima by TKO in his last fight.

Wataru Takahashi
from Sakuraba’s Laughter7 gym will be moving down a weight class. He has had some decent results at FW and LW since 2008 with a victory over Yukio Sakaguchi and a draw with Daisuke Hanazawa. He should be quite big at Bantamweight.

ZST fighter Wataru Inatsu will also drop some weight to enter the GP. He has fought fighters such as Hideo Tokoro, Remigijus Morkevicius, Hiroshi “Iron” Nakamura, and ZST champion Keisuke Fujiwara in his career.

Korean Kyu Jin Choi hasn’t fought since early 2008 but will make his return in July for the GP.

The last announced fighter is a Japanese fighter who I don’t know the name of from the KINGDOM@OZ Dojo.

WVR will take applications until June 5th so it’s not too late.

The second round of the GP will take place at SRC14 in late August. The third round will take place in late October and the 4 remaining fighters will at that time be joined by 4 seeded fighters to create the GP quarterfinals. Those 4 seeded fighters will be one recommended fighter each from and by SHOOTO, Pancrase, ZST, and Cage Force.

Feb 7, 2006
Aiming At Overseas Advancement! Two Wrestlers Clash

Fights were announced for the June 19th Cage Force event live on the internet today. In two Lightweight fights, Olympic silver medalist Katsuhiko Nagata will take on former Lightweight and Welterweight King Of Pancrase Katsuya Inoue, and SENGOKU Gold Cup Japan finalist Koji Ando will make his return from losing a majority decision to the aforementioned Nagata to battle Hiroki Nagaoka.

Inoue, who will look to get back on track since losing his Lightweight KOP title to Maxi last year, was present at the press conference and said that he respects Nagata as a fellow wrestler who has won an Olympic silver medal. He knows that he would lose in a wrestling match but this is MMA and he thinks the best strategy for him against Nagata is to keep it on the feet and pressure him.

Nagata, who is on a two fight winning streak, said in his message that a former two weight-class KOP is a great opponent for him as his aim is to advance to the MMA market overseas. Nagata just opened his own gym called “The Fighting Sports Gym Wrestle Win” in April in Chofu.

Feb 7, 2006
GRABAKA Moving South! Gono To Lightweight?

Some of the GRABAKA fighters have moved down in weight lately. Sanae Kikuta to Welterweight from Middleweight and Light Heavyweight, and KEI Yamamiya to Welterweight from Light Heavyweight are two of them.

It appears that another GRABAKA fighter who’ll be moving down is Akihiro Gono. This according to a ring doctor who was a guest on an online Japanese MMA stream show. He’s supposed to make his LW debut at the SRC14 late August event.

Gono recently posted a photo of him on his blog and it appears that he’s lost some body fat. I wonder if Kazunori Yokota will follow the trend and move down to Featherweight.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Strikeforce LA: Lashley Out, Kennedy vs. Prangley In

Fans of Bobby Lashley will have to wait a little longer to see him compete again as the former WWE superstar has been forced to withdraw from his upcoming fight in June against Ron Sparks due to a knee injury. A fight between middleweights Tim Kennedy and Trevor Prangley will occupy the spot instead at the Los Angeles show.

Lashley was set to return for the first time since a TKO win over Wes Sims in January, but injuries have plagued the Colorado based fighter, and he will be sidelined once again for an undetermined amount of time.

Stepping in on just over two weeks notice to fill the slot vacated by Lashley and Sparks will be a middleweight showdown between former Army ranger Tim Kennedy and Trevor Prangley.

A winner of three fights in a row, Kennedy has now dedicated himself as a full-time fighter after a very successful start to his career when he was doubling between his active military duty and MMA. A dedicated Special Force sniper, Kennedy has been just as sharp in his fighting lately, winning in impressive fashion with three consecutive stoppages.

"I want to keep winning,'' Kennedy said about his fight. "Strikeforce has a bunch of guys in my weight class who I match up very well with. I want to fight all of these guys and put on a good show for Showtime and Strikeforce."

Opposing Kennedy will be American Kickboxing Academy fighter Trevor Prangley, who may not get the credit he deserves for being one of the toughest 185lb fighters in the sport.

Prangley was on a 5-fight win streak when he returned to Strikeforce in February, but an accidental thumb to his opponent's eye resulted in a stop to the fight, and having it declared a draw.

Wanting to leave no doubt this time, Prangley will face a very tough test in Tim Kennedy, as the two fighters both try to inch closer to contender's status in the middleweight division.

-------

would've rather seen the Prangley vs. Amoussou rematch and Kennedy vs. Rockhold, but it's better than nothing.

May 25, 2009
URIJAH FABER MOVING DOWN TO 135 POUNDS

After three losses in five fights, former WEC featherweight champion, Urijah “the California Kid” Faber, is looking for new opportunities. Although he dominated his weight class for years, Faber has since passed the torch to current phenom, Jose Aldo. Now, the 31-year-old hopes to repeat his success in the bantamweight division.

“It sounds like [the WEC] wants me to go down to 35. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for a long time, have some fights down there.”
Seemingly undersized even at 145 pounds, Faber doesn’t view the extra weight cut as an issue.

“All through college I was 133 pounds. I’m probably a natural [bantamweight], it won’t be difficult for me.”

While nothing has been confirmed, the bantamweight division offers a plethora of fresh opponents for “the California Kid.” Match ups with fighters like Brian Bowles, Miguel Torres and current champion, Dominick Cruz, could be barn burners.

“Not 100% sure when, but it’s going to be fairly soon.”

Pitting Faber against Scott Jorgensen or even Takeya Mizugaki would serve as a nice introduction to the new weight class.

May 25, 2009
KIM COUTURE ARRESTED ON DOMESTIC VIOLENCE CHARGES

Kim Couture, ex-wife of former UFC champion, Randy Couture, has been arrested on charges of domestic violence stemming from allegations that she choked her personal assistant. Sources have reported that Couture and her employee were engaged in a heated argument during the UFC Fan Expo last weekend. The confrontation apparently spilled over to the home they share.

Police arrived at the scene to find Couture choking her assistant. She was immediately arrested and booked into the Clark County Detention Center.

Couture has since posted bail and resumed training at her gym.

May 25, 2009
WEC cans Jens Pulver

Jens Pulver, 0-5 in recent outings, is a 36-year-old featherweight, which is as unforgiving a situation as you'll find in combat sports. Speed is the price of admission at that size, and Pulver no longer has it. He may or may not put together wins against under-qualified competition in smaller shows; either way, his best opportunities are probably behind a microphone.

That no longer appears to be an option, at least under the Zuffa umbrella: Pulver has been released from his WEC contract, which eliminates any potential to be a supporting broadcaster. In a statement online, Pulver suggested the UFC was punishing him because he once left the company to pursue more lucrative opportunities at a time when the promotion was treading water.

How sad. Despite sacrificing as much of his body as any of its athletes, he possesses nowhere near their level of financial security. For someone who contributed as much to WEC history as Pulver did -- including being the first UFC lightweight champion -- a nonviolent job opportunity would be the absolute least they could do.

And it would hardly be charity.

In the absence of a fighter's union, the responsibility for caring for athletes after their athletic time is done will continue to fall on the promotion. They may reject that idea, but there is a price to be paid for record profits and being an industry leader. And the price is helping to take care of the fighters who helped bring you that success.

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU

"Strikeforce: Los Angeles" lineup complete with two-fight preliminary card

Strikeforce officials have booked a pair of bouts for a one-hour preliminary card that precedes next week's "Strikeforce: Los Angeles" Showtime broadcast.

The fights include a 160-pound catchweight bout of R.J. Clifford (3-1 MMA, 0-0 SF) vs. Jeremy Umphries (4-1 MMA, 0-0 SF) and bantamweights Marcus Kowal (2-0 MMA, 0-0 SF) vs. Hugo Sandoval (1-2 MMA, 0-0 SF).

The event takes place Wednesday, June 16 at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles.

The midweek card features just six fights and coincides with the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), a popular trade show for the computer and video-game industries.

Clifford is an MMA journalist who's also won three of his four fights (two via knockout) since turning pro in 2006. The MMA Worldwide editor-in-chief and former collegiate wrestler suffered his only career loss to Mike Robles (4-1 at the time) at a 2008 KOTC event.

He meets a fellow L.A.-based fighter in Umphries, who's four-fight win streak recently came to an end with a decision loss to Sevak Magakian (8-3) at a January Called Out MMA show. He's a former wrestler with solid ground skills.

Kowal, a former member of the Swedish Special Forces, is an L.A.-based fighter who comes from a kickboxing and boxing (two-time Golden Gloves runner-up) background. The Krav Maga black belt made his pro MMA debut in 2009 and owns a pair of stoppage wins.

He now meets Sandoval, who made his pro debut in 2007 with King of the Cage. The Riverside-based fighter's lone win came via split decision over Joe Acuna at a 2009 Gladiator Challenge show.

The complete "Strikeforce: Los Angeles" card includes:

MAIN CARD

* Robbie Lawler vs. Renato "Babalu" Sobral (195-pound catchweight fight)
* Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos vs. Marius Zaramoskis
* Tim Kennedy vs. Trevor Prangley
* Conor Heun vs. K.J. Noons

PRELIMINARY CARD

* R.J. Clifford vs. Jeremy Umphries
* Marcus Kowal vs. Hugo Sandoval