MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Rothwell Agrees to Fight Velasquez

With original opponent Shane Carwin receiving a recent upgrade to title-bout status, heavyweight prospect Cain Velasquez (6-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) will now face Ben Rothwell (30-6 MMA, 0-0 UFC) at UFC 104.

AOL FanHouse was the first to report the new bout, and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has been able to confirm the switch with sources close to the contest.

Featuring a light heavyweight title fight between current champion Lyoto Machida and challenger Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, UFC 104 takes place Oct. 24 in Los Angeles.

The undefeated Velasquez has earned four-straight wins in the UFC, including an impressive performance in June in a one-sided unanimous-decision win over Cheick Kongo. The UFC 99 bout was the first time the American Kickboxing trained fighter has been forced to a decision, having earned his previous five wins by TKO.

An eight-year veteran of the sport, Rothwell was slated to fight Chase Gormley at the recently canceled "Affliction: Trilogy" event. The 27-year-old has won 14 of his past 15 bouts, including two wins over UFC light heavyweight Krzysztof Soszynski, as well as wins over notables Ricco Rodriguez, Travis Fulton and Roy Nelson.

Velasquez was originally expected to met Carwin in the evening's co-main event. That fight was scratched in favor of Carwin taking on heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar at UFC 106 in November.

Feb 7, 2006
Zak Cummings steps in to face Tim Kennedy in Sept. 25 "Strikeforce Challengers" main event

With the loss of Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos to a training injury, rising prospect Zak Cummings (10-0) has agreed to step up to main event status.

Cummings has agreed to face Tim Kennedy (10-2) in the featured contest of Strikeforce's Sept. 25 "Challengers Series" event in Bixby, Okla.

Sherdog.com was the first to report the possibility of the contest, and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the event that both fighters have agreed to the contest and an announcement is expected to come from the organization in the next few days.

Cummings first gained some national exposure with a split-decision win over Terry Martin at February's "XCF: Rumble in Racetown." The undefeated prospect followed that win with a TKO over Dominic Brown at an FM Productions event in May.

Kennedy will be looking for his third-straight win after earning an impressive submission-by-strikes victory over veteran Nick Thompson at a "Strikeforce Challengers" event in June. The appearance was Kennedy's first for Strikeforce.

Feb 7, 2006
ROLI DELGADO VS. ANDRE WINNER AT UFC 105

A lightweight bout has been added to the UFC's upcoming return to England on Nov. 14 as "Ultimate Fighter" season 9 runner-up Andre Winner returns to action for the first time since the show's finale to take on "Ultimate Fighter" season 8 fighter Roli Delgado.

The news was confirmed to MMAWeekly.com on Thursday by sources close to the fight.

Winner steps back into the Octagon after dropping a unanimous decision to fellow British fighter Ross Pearson in the lightweight finals for the show.

Spending the majority of his career fighting in England, Winner will no doubt be the crowd favorite heading into the bout, but that also puts the pressure on the TUF 9 veteran to impress the hometown fans.

Delgado makes his first appearance in the Octagon since early June when he lost a decision to another British fighter in Paul Kelly during the UFC's first show in Germany.

A Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt, Delgado has shown mental and physical toughness in all of his previous bouts, but obviously a win in this fight seems like a must in the crowded 155-pound weight class.

No official word about from the UFC about the bout, but it will likely end up on the preliminary untelevised portion of the card.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC Quick Quote: Chris Leben is ready to play by the rules

“Everybody wants to be bigger, faster, stronger. I’m no expert on the subject. I had taken something several months before the fight and I didn’t realize that it stayed in your system for up to eight months. I mean everybody has the desire to win and everybody’s going to do what they can to win. The rules are the rules and you’ve got to follow them. You’ve got to be fair, you’ve got to play within the guidelines and I didn’t do that and obviously I paid the price. [Rosholt is] a fantastic wrestler, world-class, I mean a four-time all-American, he’s a national champ. Obviously you have to respect those skills, which I do. At the same time, there’s definitely some other people out there in the weight class I would have picked first.”

Feb 7, 2006
Wanderlei Silva Recovering From Nose Surgery

The hope for a previously rumored bout between Wanderlei Silva and Michael Bisping for UFC 105 was abandoned earlier this week after Bisping reported through his official website that Silva was recovering from facial surgery, and would possibly be out until 2010.

While it now appears as though “The Axe Murderer” is in fact recovering from facial surgery, to be more specific, GRACIEMAG.com was able to dig up information confirming that Silva is currently recovering from an operation on his septum.

“The procedure will help Wanderlei breathe better,” explained Silva’s physical conditioning coach, Rafael Alejarra. “It will improve not just his quality as an athlete but also his daily life. It’s a region that has been badly punished and was recuperated for him to perform better.”

UFC heavyweight Shane Carwin recently underwent a similar procedure following his knockout victory over Gabriel Gonzaga. The recovery can be extensive and painful, but Silva should be better than ever cardio-wise when he comes back.

There is no word on when Wanderlei Silva will be able to return to action at this time.

Feb 7, 2006
Wanderlei Silva Recovering From Nose Surgery

The hope for a previously rumored bout between Wanderlei Silva and Michael Bisping for UFC 105 was abandoned earlier this week after Bisping reported through his official website that Silva was recovering from facial surgery, and would possibly be out until 2010.

While it now appears as though “The Axe Murderer” is in fact recovering from facial surgery, to be more specific, GRACIEMAG.com was able to dig up information confirming that Silva is currently recovering from an operation on his septum.

“The procedure will help Wanderlei breathe better,” explained Silva’s physical conditioning coach, Rafael Alejarra. “It will improve not just his quality as an athlete but also his daily life. It’s a region that has been badly punished and was recuperated for him to perform better.”

UFC heavyweight Shane Carwin recently underwent a similar procedure following his knockout victory over Gabriel Gonzaga. The recovery can be extensive and painful, but Silva should be better than ever cardio-wise when he comes back.

There is no word on when Wanderlei Silva will be able to return to action at this time.

Feb 7, 2006
Paulo Filho Calls Out Gegard Mousasi

wanna fight Mousasi and show that with against me is a whole different thing… He doesn’t have my strength, he doesn’t have my level on the ground. He can be a better striker, but he doesn’t have my strength and he’ll go down once and be submitted. He’s well trained, but I don’t think he’s healthy enough to beat me.

If he wins, I don’t even want my salary. But I guarantee he’ll be beaten more than he was against (Akihiro) Gono"

Feb 7, 2006
WAMMA Announces Strategic Partnership with Brand Asset Digital

MMAPayout received news this morning that WAMMA is alive and well.

The following is a WAMMA press release announcing a new strategic partnership with Brand Asset Digital:

NEW YORK (August 20th, 2009) –The World Alliance of Mixed Martial Arts (WAMMA) today announces a new strategic partnership with Brand Asset Digital, the distributed technologies company. The association between the two groups will help WAMMA incorporate new sponsorships into traditional and electronic platforms.

“We believe our combined efforts will help bring new sponsors into the MMA arena,” says WAMMA CEO Dave Szady. “I will also help advance WAMMA’s mission of promoting the integrity, legitimacy and prosperity of MMA.”

"Brand Asset Digital will provide WAMMA with unparalleled access to P2Plive streaming technology and our social networking platform providing them with the ultimate online experience," says Brand Asset Digital CEO Tim Hogan. "We are on the cutting edge of changing the LIVE experience on the internet and the future of online programming with P2PLive Streaming. We are looking forward to applying that technology to mixed martial arts."

WAMMA also congratulations Strikeforce on signing WAMMA Heavyweight Champion Fedor Emelianenko, and congratulates M-1 and Dream on their partnership with Strikeforce.

“All three of these organizations have been friends of WAMMA and these developments and plans to co-promote move the sport of MMA forward on a global scale,” said Szady. “The three of these organizations have a tremendous talent pool from which to draw and WAMMA looks forward to future Championship fights.”

Additionally, Szady addressed rumors of WAMMA’s demise, including blogosphere photos of vacant WAMMA offices.

“Clearly WAMMA is alive and well, and growing,” says Szady. “We are in the process of relocating to new office space in Pensacola and will resume our rankings this month. WAMMA has been actively seeking a new rankings committee chair. We plan to finalize a new Rankings Committee Chairperson and make that announcement shortly.”

About WAMMA

WAMMA is the only universally accepted global governing body in the sport of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA).

WAMMA is dedicated to leading the sport of Mixed Martial Arts to unprecedented levels of integrity, legitimacy and prosperity. With the help of forward-looking MMA promotions, WAMMA has created an environment where fighters from all organizations have the opportunity to openly compete to be the one true, undisputed champion in their respective weight classes based on WAMMA’s objective MMA Rankings.

About Brand Asset Digital

Brand Asset Digital is a distributed technologies company with a core focus on P2P Search Marketing and Optimization, delivering efficient, high-quality, live streaming technology, and video centric social networking platforms. Our mission is to provide cutting edge products and services that enable and empower Advertisers and Content Owners to easily leverage these technologies within a robust, scalable architecture. We promote and build brands amid a vast, untapped audience. We are the P2P Solutions Company.

Payout Perspective:

Many thought WAMMA was dead when Pat Miletich and Sam Caplan left the organization - apparently they thought wrong.

This new partnership has been formed ostensibly to help develop and promote new sponsored MMA promotions, so I’d expect further partnership announcements to come. (Note: WAMMA went out of its way to acknowledge Strikeforce, Dream, and M-1)

WAMMA started out with noble intentions: trying to unify the sport under one set of worldwide rankings in search of even greater legitimacy. It didn’t happen the first time around, so it’ll be interesting to see what their new approach is.

I’m getting word that there’s been a significant shake-up not only within management, but also in philosophy. However, the overall goal still remains to "help improve the integrity, legitimacy, and prosperity" of the sport through a worldwide governing body.

I am most interested to see how WAMMA plans to tackle the issue of the UFC’s co-operation, or lack thereof. You can’t have legitimacy without the world’s premier MMA organization; or more to the point, without the UFC’s roster which accounts for 80% of the top 15 fighters every division.

Feb 7, 2006
Pedro Rizzo ready for Jeff Monson

Scheduled to face Jeff Monson at Bitetti Combat 4, which will take place at Rio de Janeiro in September 12, Pedro Rizzo is training hard for the rematch against the “Snowman”, that he already knocked out at Art of War. After the trainings with Glover Teixeira, Sérgio Babu and other tough sparrings, Rizzo said he wants to get a win to start his way back to the tops.

“In six years I just did six fights, so I didn’t had a good sequence. I’m very excited to get this victory, sign one more fight until the end of the year and get back the fight rhythm and the winner confidence…I think I still can fight the best and I’m working hard for that. But I’ll take fight by fight. Now, I just think in Monson. After this fight, we’ll see what’s gonna happen”, finished the former UFC title contender.

Feb 7, 2006
XTREME COUTURE'S HEAD OF BJJ NEIL MELANSON

When dealing with the best of the best at a gym like Xtreme Couture, you have to be strong and not one to back down from challenges.

Head jiu-jitsu instructor Neil Melanson is such an individual.

Upon graduating high school, Melanson spent seven years in the Navy, followed by five years as a Federal Air Marshal, before giving it all up to move to Los Angeles from Cincinnati to pursue martial arts under legendary teacher Gokor Chivichyan and UFC welterweight star Karo “The Heat” Parisyan.

It was during this time that Melanson was faced with the biggest challenge of his career, Behcet’s Syndrome, an ailment he was born with, but triggered during flying days, which temporarily rendered him blind in both eyes.

With the help of doctors, Melanson was able to regain sight in his right eye, and undeterred, continued to pursue his love of the ground game, which lead him to former UFC champion Randy Couture’s gym in November. And he hasn’t looked back.

MMAWeekly.com caught up with Melanson recently to discuss working with the sport’s elite at Xtreme Couture, as well as his upcoming series of books he hopes will invigorate a stagnating grappling scene.

“I was contacted by Eric Krauss at Victory Belt Publishing with my technique, style and knowledge of the sport,” said Melanson. He started doing book deals with me, and the first book coming out is (on) triangles from the guard.

“It’s a massive undertaking with tons of techniques from every guard system that’s out there that’s practical. I set it up in a manner that it’s based off the body position of your opponent in your guard and how your opponent moves inside your guard in a match; how he moves his hips will cause you to now adjust to a different guard system that’s constantly threatening with a triangle.”

Melanson contributing to Victory Belt’s line is nothing new. As part of a group of MMA personalities including Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Anderson Silva and Forrest Griffin, he personally contributed over 70 techniques to their Ultimate Mixed Martial Artist book. And it doesn’t stop there.

“We have another book deal that I’ve already signed called Advanced Guard Systems,” he announced. “It’s going to be a modern approach to the guard based off how your opponent is playing you, the highest percentage (techniques) and how they flow from one system to another.

“I hope that book changes how people do no-gi (grappling) forever. After that we’re going to do a guillotine book, and possibly a figure-four system book and a turtle book. There’s a lot of books in the works right now, and we’re just working them out one at a time.”

Melanson knows what works by dealing with some of the best athletes MMA has to offer at the Xtreme Couture gym.

When asked how he deals with the stars of the sport and how he gets them to perform his way, he replied unapologetically, “Basically what I do is: I don’t give a rat’s ass who they are.

“That’s pretty much the best way I can say it. All I care about is the product I produce, so if I have to do what I have to do to get a fighter to fight the way they should be fighting, then I do it. If I need them to go harder, I’ll slap them in the face and get them pissed until they land what they’re supposed to, to protect themselves.”

Among the athletes Melanson has been most impressed by in his time at the gym is Couture himself, returning UFC fighter Vitor Belfort, and accomplished women’s fighter Erin Toughill. Combined with up-and-comers like Mike Dizak and Patrick Begin, Melanson feels he’s got the type of talent that makes his teaching truly worthwhile.

“I love to see these guys learn from me and succeed,” exclaimed Melanson. “I love my life and I couldn’t be happier.

“Things went up and down a lot for me; I had a lot of hopes and dreams of doing things with my life and find my niche. When I got into this sport, I never thought it would take me anywhere, but it has and I’m absolutely in love with my work.”

Whether it’s fending off an opponent on the ground, overcoming a vision-threatening condition or banging heads with the biggest stars in the sport, Neil Melanson takes on all challenges and is willing to put in the hard work to succeed.

“You can always find out what’s going on with me at neilmelanson.com,” he concluded. “I’ll have updates when the books are going to be released.

“Hopefully these books will change things. If I can contribute something to this sport that’s not forgotten, I’ll die a happy man.”

Feb 7, 2006
Thiago Alves vs. Paulo Thiago in the works for December's UFC 107 in Tennessee

While the main focus of the day has been on the UFC's card-shuffling of heavyweight contenders, the organization is also staying busy with additional plans.

In a bout sure to cause some commentating confusion, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the event that a fight between Paulo Thiago (11-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) and Thiago Alves (16-5 MMA, 9-3 UFC) is currently in the works, and at least one of the fighters has been approached about the contest.

American Top Team representatives declined to comment on the likelihood of the fight, and bout agreements for the contest have yet to be distributed.

Thiago looks to bounce back from his first career defeat, a unanimous-decision loss to Jon Fitch at July's UFC 100. The one-sided affair was Thiago's second UFC contest and followed a surprising TKO of contender Josh Koscheck in February.

Meanwhile, Alves will be looking to bounce back from a UFC 100 loss of his own, dropping a unanimous-decision to UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre at the July event. The loss was Alves' first since a June 2006 TKO at the hands of Fitch.

Though not yet officially announced, UFC 107 is set to take place on Dec. 12 at FedExForum in Memphis, Tenn. Headlined by a light heavyweight matchup between former champions Rashad Evans and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, the main card will air live on pay per view.

Dec 30, 2003
Thiago Alves vs. Paulo Thiago in the works for December's UFC 107 in Tennessee

While the main focus of the day has been on the UFC's card-shuffling of heavyweight contenders, the organization is also staying busy with additional plans.

In a bout sure to cause some commentating confusion, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the event that a fight between Paulo Thiago (11-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) and Thiago Alves (16-5 MMA, 9-3 UFC) is currently in the works, and at least one of the fighters has been approached about the contest.

American Top Team representatives declined to comment on the likelihood of the fight, and bout agreements for the contest have yet to be distributed.

Thiago looks to bounce back from his first career defeat, a unanimous-decision loss to Jon Fitch at July's UFC 100. The one-sided affair was Thiago's second UFC contest and followed a surprising TKO of contender Josh Koscheck in February.

Meanwhile, Alves will be looking to bounce back from a UFC 100 loss of his own, dropping a unanimous-decision to UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre at the July event. The loss was Alves' first since a June 2006 TKO at the hands of Fitch.

Though not yet officially announced, UFC 107 is set to take place on Dec. 12 at FedExForum in Memphis, Tenn. Headlined by a light heavyweight matchup between former champions Rashad Evans and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, the main card will air live on pay per view.
in what way does paulo thiago deserve that fight? besides a lucky KO of koscheck........ and a poor performance against jon fitch... there is way more guys in that division that should be gettin better fights but... paulo thiago? cmon now.

Feb 7, 2006
Arona, Filho, Rizzo Return to Brazilian Roots for Bitetti Combat

For years, Brazilian fans and fighters have dreamed that MMA would someday garner support from the country’s government. That dream was realized on Aug. 3, when Rio de Janeiro Governor Sérgio Cabral hosted a special ceremony to announce Bitetti Combat 4.

Promoted by Brazilian jiu-jitsu legend and UFC veteran Amaury Bitetti, Bitetti Combat 4 will take place Sept. 12 in Maracanãzinho, Rio de Janeiro. Brazilian standouts Ricardo Arona, Paulo Filho and Pedro Rizzo will headline the event, none of which have fought in their homeland in years, if at all.

“It brings some hope,” Rizzo said. “When the UFC came to Brazil in 1998, we thought it was the beginning of a new era for MMA here, but it never happened. We had some nice events, but not a top one like the UFC. The proposal of Bitetti Combat is to put on a great show with some of the greatest Brazilian fighters inside the Octagon. So this event brings back the hope of having MMA growing in Brazil like it is in the U.S.A. and other countries."

Governor Cabral, who was presented an MMA glove by Bitetti inside a cage constructed in the gardens of governor’s palace, has guaranteed his support and launched a historical partnership with MMA.

“Rio already produced the Pan American Games last year. We were already chosen as the location for the next World Cup and we are in the running to get the next Olympic Games,” said Cabral. “It’s going to be a pleasure for us to bring our biggest martial arts idols here to perform at home.

“We already expelled drug dealers from four important slums (pacified communities), but to expel is not enough,” continued Cabral. “We have to provide citizenship to the local population and martial arts are one of our ways to make it happen. With the support of all the martial arts teachers and fighting idols, besides producing champions, we will be able to keep children from entering into the criminal life.”

Following the speech, Cabral’s 14-year-old son, Marco Antonio, who trains jiu-jitsu with the Brazilian Top Team, performed an MMA exhibition with Milton Vieira. Arona and Filho followed with another exhibition, where Filho submitted Arona with an armlock and Arona caught Filho in a choke.

Tom Huggins, a former producer of Extreme Combat, will assist Bitetti with the promotion. Renzo Gracie and “Big” John McCarthy have been asked to referee the event as well. Bitetti said that in addition to gaining financial support from the governor, the event would air live on Rede TV to the entire country on free television.

Arona, who has been absent from the ring for two years, said he’s anxious to make his return. He will face UFC veteran Marvin Eastman.

“I’ve just found out about my opponent and I haven’t seen any of his fights, but I already know that he is tough and has won against a couple of top guys and that just makes me more excited to train and make a nice presentation to my fans,” said Arona.

Scheduled to face “The Ultimate Fighter” alumnus and Sérgio Penha student Alex Schoenauer, Filho spoke of his opponent and the opportunity to fight in Brazil.

“I don’t think that he can be better than I am on the ground,” said the Carlson Gracie black belt. “Now I have to start studying him together with my trainers.

“We have some the best fighters in the world in this sport, but we don’t have recognition in our own country,” continued Filho. “I hope this event starts a new era in Brazilian MMA.”

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira had also been announced for the event, though his participation is now doubtful as he eyes a move to the UFC.

Bitetti Combat 4
Sept. 12
Marcanãzinho, Rio de Janeiro

Ricardo Arona vs. Marvin Eastman
Paulo Filho vs. Alex Schoenauer
Pedro Rizzo vs. Jeff Monson
Glover Teixeira vs. Leonardo Lucio Nascimento
Luciano Azevedo vs. Milton Vieira
Henrique Nogueira vs. Eduardo Pamplona
Alexandre Pulga vs. Luciano Yzzy
Vitor Miranda vs. Fabio Maldonado
Leandro Batata vs. Cassiano Tytschyo

Feb 7, 2006
Report: Chase Gormley meets Stefan Struve at UFC 104 heavyweight contest in October

One of the names lost in the UFC's recent heavyweight match shuffling was undefeated prospect Chase Gormley (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC).

The recent Affliction transfer was originally scheduled to face Ben Rothwell but was left without an opponent following the flurry of new matchups that ultimately resulted in a heavyweight title fight between champ Brock Lesnar and challenger Shane Carwin.

That's all changed now, as U.K.-based Fighters Only magazine is reporting Gormley will meet Dutch youngster Stefan Struve (17-3 MMA, 1-1 UFC) at UFC 104.

Featuring a light heavyweight title fight between current champ Lyoto Machida and challenger Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, UFC 104 takes place Oct. 24 at Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Gormley, who is making his UFC debut, will be fighting for the first time since a May 2008 unanimous-decision win over Eric Pele. Undefeated in his first six professional bouts, Gormley has earned two wins by TKO and another two by submission.

Struve is looking to build on a June win over Denis Stojnic. The blood-filled, come-from-behind victory was "Skyscraper's" first in the organization. Struve suffered a TKO loss to Junior dos Santos in his February debut for the UFC.

With the adjustment to the card, UFC 104 now includes:

* Champ Lyoto Machida vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (for light-heavyweight title)
* Ben Rothwell vs. Cain Velasquez*
* Yushin Okami vs. Chael Sonnen
* Sean Sherk vs. Gleison Tibau*
* Spencer Fisher vs. Joe Stevenson*
* Anthony Johnson vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida*
* Ryan Bader vs. Eric Schafer*
* Rob Kimmons vs. Jorge Rivera*
* Patrick Barry vs. Antoni Hardonk*
* Chase Gormley vs. Stefan Struve*
* Razak Al-Hassan vs. Kyle Kingsbury*

* - Not officially announced

Feb 7, 2006
Jim Miller to face UFC newcomer Steve Lopez on UFC 103 preliminary card

With Thiago Tavares recently bowing out of a UFC 103 preliminary card matchup due to an injury, Jim Miller (14-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) will now fight UFC newcomer Steve Lopez (12-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC).

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the event that both fighters have agreed to the contest, and bout agreements are expected to be distributed shortly.

Featuring a main event between fan-favorites Rich Franklin and Vitor Belfort, UFC 103 takes place Sept. 19 at American Airlines Center in Dallas.

Lopez will be fighting for the first time since October 2008. Prior to the layoff, Lopez had earned an 8-1 record in nine fights during a eight-and-a-half month period.

Lopez has earned eight of his 12 career wins by submission, though his past three victories have all come by decision.

Meanwhile, Miller is looking to build on his UFC 100 win over Mac Danzig in July. Prior to the Danzig win, Miller had lost a unanimous-decision to Gray Maynard in March a defeat that snapped an eight-fight winning streak.

With the change, the UFC 103 card appears re-finalized. The full event includes:

MAIN CARD

* Vitor Belfort vs. Rich Franklin
* Junior Dos Santos vs. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic
* Martin Kampmann vs. Mike Swick
* Josh Koscheck vs. Frank Trigg
* Hermes Franca vs. Tyson Griffin

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Efrain Escudero vs. Cole Miller
* Steve Lopez vs. Jim Miller
* Dan Lauzon vs. Rafaello Oliveira
* Paul Daley vs. Brian Foster
* Tomasz Drwal vs. Drew McFedries
* Jason Brilz vs. Eliot Marshall
* Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Igor Pokrajac
* Rafael dos Anjos vs. Rob Emerson

Feb 7, 2006
Reports: Michael Bisping vs. Denis Kang, Dan Hardy vs. Dong Hyun Kim in works for UFC 105

The UFC's fall schedule is rapidly filling, and with UFC 103 and 104's fight cards nearly complete, the organization has turned its attention to UFC 105 in November.

And according to a pair of new reports from Fighters Only magazine, two high-profile fights for the card are nearly signed.

According to Fighters Only, Michael Bisping (17-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) will likely meet Denis Kang (32-11-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC), while Dan Hardy (22-6 MMA, 3-0 UFC) and Dong Hyun Kim (12-0-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC) are in discussions to meet at the Spike TV-broadcast event in Manchester, England.

Bisping was originally expected to face Wanderlei Silva, though a recent surgery has left the "Axe Murderer" on the shelf for the immediate future. With the Brazilian unable to face "The Count," Bisping will reportedly now meet Kang.

Bisping will be returning to action for the first time since a devastating loss to Dan Henderson at UFC 100, while Kang will be looking to build on the momentum of an April win over Xavier Foupa-Pokam.

While the now-scrapped Bisping vs. Silva bout was expected to enjoy main event status, the Fighters Only report suggests the new Bisping vs. Kang match will be relegated to co-main event status in favor of a yet-to-be-named "high-profile" matchup.

In addition to the Bisping vs. Kang bout, previously announced UFC 105 participant Dan Hardy will also meet Dong Hyun Kim according to a second report from Fighters Only.

Hardy fought most recently in a June split-decision win over Marcus Davis, upping his record in the UFC to 3-0. Kim returns to action for the first time since a UFC 100 win over T.J. Grant. Kim still maintains an undefeated record after his January loss to Karo Parisyan was overturned by the Nevada State Athletic Commission due to a failed drug screen by "The Heat."

With the expected matchups to the UFC 105 card, the event now includes:

* Michael Bisping vs. Denis Kang*
* Dan Hardy vs. Dong Hyun Kim*
* Matt Brown vs. James Wilks*
* Ross Pearson vs. Aaron Riley*
* DaMarques Johnson vs. Peter Sobotta*
* Roli Delgado vs. Andre Winner*

* - Not yet officially announced.

Feb 7, 2006
Dana White: Shane Carwin hates Brock Lesnar

“Brock is ready to go now and wants to fight. Carwin makes the most sense. He’s 11-0, and he’s been kicking the [expletive] out of everybody. [Gabriel] Gonzaga destroyed [Mirko] Cro Cop and he [Carwin] totally destroyed Gonzaga. Plus, he hates Brock Lesnar. It’s going to be two huge guys going at it. He’s got the power to knock anybody out and he’s got great wrestling too. He’s one of the guys that has the size to match up with Brock, too. This is one of those fights that could be wild. Someone’s going to get their head knocked off.”

Feb 7, 2006
Frank Mir plans on striking with Cheick Kongo at UFC 107

“I think the advantage of being well rounded is not having to force anything. As long as we’re boxing with each other, I feel very comfortable against Cheick Kongo. Obviously I don’t want to eat one of his knees, so I probably will try to strike with him a lot because if I just try to dive at him there’s always a chance of taking one of those.”