MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Bigfoot back at Sengoku 10; eyes the title

Owner of three heavyweight belts (EliteXC, Cage Rage and Cage Warriors), Antônio "Bigfoot" Silva is training to return to the Sengoku on September 23, and will have another motivation for the victory. "I have two more fights in Sengoku and, winning this one, that still have no opponent, I should fight for the belt in December. They will create the belt and I will fight for the title", says the American Top Team heavyweight.

"I don’t even imagine who can be (my opponent), I have no idea", he said. But, if he could choose, Silva already had a favorite one. "I wish it were Josh Barnett, once he won’t in the United States anymore. He has a contract with Sengoku and is trained, so who knows this fight can happen", says the fighter, who can return to fight in the U.S. "The Athletic Commission hasn’t contacted me and the suspension expired. Now I’m released, because they had to have made a meeting to revoke my license, and it didn’t happen. Once the penalty expires, they can’t do it", celebrates the Brazilian.

Feb 7, 2006
Akihiro Gono Speaks

Akihiro Gono had an open training session at GRABAKA in Tokyo today. He says that his weight cut is going according to schedule, and that he only has 6 kg left to cut to get to 76 kg.

Since March of this year Gono has had “Strongest Referee” Ryogaku Wada as a physical trainer. Gono says that the quality of his muscles has gone up. Gono didn’t really see much difference in the mirror in the beginning, but fellow GRABAKA member Yuki Sasaki told him: “You didn’t have any strength around the time you fought John Fitch, but now it’s different”.

To show his new confidence, Gono not only displayed his strong point (striking) in his public training session, he also displayed middle kicks as well as front kicks.

All preparations for his entrance is ready (costumes, meeting with staff, etc.). All that’s left is to perform. He didn’t reveal anything about the performance though.

About his opponent, he has only seen his one SENGOKU fight, but Gono thinks that if he (Gono) fights as normal, he can win. Gono ends by talking about how he doesn’t want to lose to Professional Baseball and that MMA will catch up.

Feb 7, 2006
Javier Vasquez vs. LC Davis Moved to WEC 42

Javier Vazquez will square off against IFL veteran L.C. Davis in a featherweight bout on Aug. 9 at WEC 42

Vazquez,a former King of the Cage and Gladiator Challenge champion, said the bout will kick off a five-fight contract he agreed to with the promotion on Thursday.

Feb 7, 2006
Ortiz Re-Signs with UFC, Eyes Late 2009 Return

Former light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz has re-signed with the UFC, ending months of speculation regarding his future. UFC President Dana White, with whom Ortiz has enjoyed a well-publicized love-hate relationship, announced the deal on Friday during a teleconference. Terms were not disclosed.

“Tito Ortiz is still a guy fans want to see fight,” White said. “He’s ready to compete at 205 pounds. A lot of people love him, and a lot of people love to hate him. He’s back. Tito and I set all our differences aside. Tito Ortiz will retire in the UFC.”

Ortiz, who originally anticipated a September comeback, has targeted a return in November or December. White indicated Ortiz could possibly square off with UFC hall of famer Mark Coleman.

“Coleman comes to fight,” White said.

Ortiz (15-6-1), who underwent back surgery in 10 months ago, has not competed since he lost a unanimous decision to reigning light heavyweight king Lyoto Machida at UFC 84 in May 2008. Though he was dominated for much of the fight, Ortiz nearly submitted the unbeaten Brazilian with a third-round triangle choke, reminding his detractors that he remains a viable threat at 205 pounds.

Ortiz believes he has buried the hatchet with White.

“Time really cures everything,” Ortiz said. “Dana came to me and was a man of his word. Me and Dana made up.”

Once the face of the UFC, the 34-year-old Californian has not won a fight since he stopped UFC hall of famer Ken Shamrock on strikes nearly three years ago. Still, he counts victories against Brazilian legend Wanderlei Silva, one-time International Fight League champion Vladimir Matyushenko and former UFC titleholders Vitor Belfort, Forrest Griffin and Evan Tanner among his 15 career wins. Five of Ortiz’s six career defeats have come to current or former UFC champions.

The lure of the UFC’s deep light heavyweight division proved too great for Ortiz to turn down. Ortiz had reportedly drawn significant interest from Strikeforce.

“For me, personally, it’s about the competition,” Ortiz said. “Financially and everything, I’m OK. Competition was the biggest factor. If I fight for Strikeforce, who am I going to fight? The best fighters are in the UFC. I’m happy. You’ll never hear anything about money out of my mouth ever again.”

Ortiz declared himself fit for competition.

“I’m healthy,” he said. “There’s no more pain, no more numbness going down my legs. Everybody in the light heavyweight division better watch out.”

Feb 7, 2006
UFC Fight Night 19 main and preliminary cards set with 10 bouts for Sept. 16

The official announcement of a previously rumored main-card bout and four previously rumored preliminary-card fights has rounded out the full lineup for September's UFC Fight Night 19 event.

The event, headlined by Nate Diaz vs. Melvin Guillard, takes place Sept. 16 at the Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City, Okla., and airs on Spike TV.

Previously rumored bouts now set for the un-aired preliminary portion of the card include Ed Herman vs. Aaron Simpson, Kyle Bradley vs. Sam Stout, Justin Buchholz vs. Jeremy Stephens and Ryan Jensen vs. Steven Steinbeiss. Additionally, a fight between veteran Chris Lytle and former WEC champion Carlos Condit is now official for the main card.

UFC Fight Night 19, which is the first UFC event to take place in Oklahoma since UFC 4 in 1996, serves as a lead-in for the season debut of "The Ultimate Fighter 10," a heavyweights-only season of the UFC's popular reality series.

The full card for UFC Fight Night 19 includes:

MAIN CARD

* Nate Diaz vs. Melvin Guillard
* Roger Huerta vs. Gray Maynard
* Carlos Condit vs. Chris Lytle
* Tim Credeur vs. Nate Quarry

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Steve Cantwell vs. Brian Stann
* Mike Pyle vs. Chris Wilson
* Ed Herman vs. Aaron Simpson
* Kyle Bradley vs. Sam Stout
* Justin Buchholz vs. Jeremy Stephens
* Ryan Jensen vs. Steven Steinbeiss

Feb 7, 2006
Dana White confirms the addition of multiple former Affliction fighters

During today’s conference call with the media, UFC President Dana White confirmed the addition of multiple former Affliction fighters to both the UFC and WEC roster.

According to White, Paul Daley, Ben Rothwell, Chase Gormley, Paul Buentello, Dan Lauzon, Rafaello “Tractor” Oliveira has all been signed to UFC contracts.

Additionally, Mark Hominick, L.C. Davis, and Javier Vazquez have all been signed to WEC contracts.

White indicated that more additions from the Affliction roster could be made.

When asked about Affliction heavyweights Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski, White said he had no interest in re-signing either at this time.

Feb 7, 2006
Wagnney vs. Kock signed for WEC 43

With the rumors about a possible fight against Erik Kock, at WEC 43, which happens in September, in the United States, TATAME came into contact with Wagnney Fabiano, who confirmed the fight. "It's everything signed, all right", revealed the athlete, who doesn’t know much of his opponent, which will debut in the WEC after winning the previous seven fights. To speak the truth, Wagnney doesn’t know anything of the opponent.

"I saw some of his fights, it seems that he’s also a Jiu-Jitsu fighter, but I don’t know anything of him", said the experienced fighter of the Nova União, who won the past eight fights. Facing a “newbie” opponent, Wagnney guarantees that doesn’t think that it will be easy. "He is an young guy, will be with gas... I’m also taking it seriously, because we see that the young are hard... I see Dudu (Dantas), that if mark is one of the best in the category and is only 19 years old... We can never underestimate them, I'm training seriously", said the champion of the defunct IFL.

With an undeniable game of ground, Wagnney says that the fact of facing a man of Jiu-Jitsu doesn’t mean that the fight will go to the ground. "People were thinking that the fight between me and Frédson (Paixão) would go to the ground, but it was all on top", he said, recalling his last challenge in the WEC, against the two times world champion of Jiu-Jitsu. "We have to feel the fight to see how it will be", declared, commenting the recovery of his hand, which ended fractured in the fight against the compatriot. "I operated, and the recovery of the hand was cool. I still feel some things, but it isn’t preventing me from doing anything. Now its 98%, but until there it will be better”, concluded the fighter.

Feb 7, 2006
Ninja can return to the Dream in October

Not fighting since April, when debuted with defeat in the Dream, Murilo "Ninja" is training hard in Curitiba with an eye in a possible return to the Japanese ring in the coming months. "I'm training all the time, focused on my next fight and my brother’s, beyond some guys from here that will fight too", said, hoping to fight in October. "I must fight in October, but there’s nothing right yet. They warn at the last minute, right?", he said.

Used with the Japanese style of organizing events, without revealing the opponents until a few weeks before the fight, Ninja has already suffered with that in the past, since he had an opponent changed a day before the fight. Thinking about this, the fighter already trains hard with no name in mind. "Dude, I have no idea of who they will put... Let's see if they will fit me in the event, but for now I don’t know anything", concluded the ex-champion of EliteXC, in conversation with TATAME.

Feb 7, 2006
“The Man Who Defeated Fedor in Sambo” Has Arrived

Blagoy Alexandre Ivanov arrived to Japan yesterday and talked with the Japanese press today. Since he has trained in South Korea for this fight, there’s no jet lag. He says that his first impressions of Japan are good.

When talking about his victory over Fedor, Ivanov says that his life hasn’t really changed much and is as always. However, he says with a smiling face that he was happy to have been able to beat Fedor in the 70th year anniversary of Sambo.

Ivanov doesn’t really think that he has a strong point. He says that he’s OK if it goes to the ground or if it stays standing. He doesn’t mind whether he wins by KO or by submission.

Ivanov has seen Fujita’s old fights, especially impressive were his fights against Fedor and Karam Ibrahim. He thinks that Fujita’s right punch is strong and will be watching out for that in the fight. When asked about Fujita’s weak point, Ivanov said: “You’ll know after the fight”.

While his current objective is to defeat Fujita, his objective in SENGOKU is to try his hands on its Heavyweight division (he mentions Travis Wiuff, who defeated Fujita last year).

Feb 7, 2006
Dan Henderson gets next title shot, Nate Marquardt vs. Demian Maia winner "in the mix"

Dan Henderson will no longer fight Rich Franklin at UFC 103 and will instead get the first shot at UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva's title at an event to be determined.

During a UFC media conference call today, UFC president Dana White said he pulled Henderson from a previously announced rematch with Rich Franklin at the upcoming UFC 103 event because of the poor reaction it got from fans.

Franklin instead will fight new signee Vitor Belfort in the main event of UFC 103, which takes place Sept. 19 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas.

Belfort, who was slated to fight middleweight Jorge Santiago before the recent cancellation of the Aug. 1 "Affliction: Trilogy" event, will move to light heavyweight for the bout.

Henderson, who scored a vicious knockout of Michael Bisping at UFC 100, will now await the result of next weekend's fight between Silva and Forrest Griffin. The non-title co-headlines UFC 101, which takes place Aug. 8 in Philadelphia.

So when will Henderson get his next title shot?

"It depends on what happens next week," White said. "If [Silva] doesn't get busted or have injuries, it could be very soon."

Henderson (25-7 MMA, 5-2 UFC) first fought Silva (24-4 MMA, 9-0 UFC) in March 2008 at UFC 82. And though he became the first fighter to win a round against "The Spider" in the UFC, Henderson ultimately suffered a submission defeat in the following round.

Henderson has won three consecutive fights since the loss and got the added exposure of coaching opposite Bisping on the recent ninth season of "The Ultimate Fighter."

Henderson's guaranteed title shot, of course, means more waiting for undefeated contender Demian Maia (10-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) and former Silva challenger Nate Marquardt (28-8-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC), who meet at UFC 102 in late August. The winner could still get a title shot – they're "in the mix," White said – but with Silva booked to fight Griffin and now Henderson, the Marquardt-Maia winner is unlikely to get a title shot until early 2010 at the absolute soonest.

Feb 7, 2006
Affliction castoff and UFC vet Mark Hominick re-signed by WEC, set for WEC 43 return

Mark Hominick (16-8 MMA, 0-2 WEC), a former UFC and WEC fighter who was slated to fight at "Affliction: Trilogy" before the recent cancellation of the Aug. 1 event, has signed a multi-fight deal with World Extreme Cagefighting and will debut at the organization's WEC 43 show in September.

WEC officials today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the featherweight has been added to the WEC 43 card, though no opponent has been set. UFC president Dana White first mentioned the signing of Hominick during a media call today.

WEC 43 takes place Sept. 2 at the Covelli Center in Youngstown, Ohio.

WEC officials have not determined if Hominick will be part of the night's Versus-televised main card.

Hominick returns to the WEC after just a 19-month break for the organization. He most recently fought for the organization at WEC 32, where he suffered a first-round submission loss to Josh Grispi. Eight months earlier, he suffered a submission loss to Rani Yahya in his WEC debut at WEC 28.

Casual fans, though, probably know Hominick best from his days as a UFC fighter. The veteran of the now-defunct Canadian-based TKO organization went 2-0 with the UFC in impressive wins over Jorge Gurgel and Yves Edwards.

Hominick, a seven-year vet, returns to the WEC with three wins in his past four fights, which included a second-round submission victory over Savant Young during his most recent fight, which took place in July 2008 at "Affliction: Banned."

Hominick is one of several Affliction fighters picked up by Zuffa LLC, the UFC and WEC's parent company, since the demise of the apparel company's MMA-promotional arm last week.

Feb 7, 2006
BREAKING NEWS: DALEY SIGNS, WILL DEBUT AT UFC 103

Paul Daley has just signed a deal with the UFC that will see him make his debut within the promotion at UFC 103 against Brian Foster from Matt Hughes’ H.I.T. Squad, according to MMAWeekly.com sources.

For Daley this contract means that he will finally find a home within a solid promotion, one where he will get his wish to fight the best in the world. This signing is just one of many after the fallout from the recent cancellation of the Affliction “Trilogy” show and shuttering of the promotion. It draws an end to Daley’s status as a hired gun and marks a new period in his life.

Up until Thursday, Daley had been hot property having courted offers from the UFC, Dream, Bellator and Strikeforce. Although all of the promotions have their appeal, it is understood that Daley’s desire to blast his way through the Top 10 is a key motivator. Daley has always maintained that his experience across the world was “on the job” training before he went into the thick of it with the UFC.

When the lights dim for the walkout at UFC 103 in Dallas, Daley will have his first chance to signal his intent to the welterweight division.

Feb 7, 2006
"The Ultimate Fighter" veterans George Sotiropoulos and George Roop official for UFC 101

As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first reported, a cut suffered in training has forced Rob Emerson (9-7 MMA, 2-1 UFC) out of his UFC 101 bout with George Sotiropoulos (9-2 MMA, 2-0 UFC). Now his replacement has been made official.

As expected, the UFC recently announced George Roop (9-4 MMA, 1-1 UFC) will fill the void left by Emerson on the evening's preliminary card.

Headlined by a lightweight title fight between current champion B.J. Penn and challenger Kenny Florian, "UFC 101: Declaration" takes place Aug. 8 in Philadelphia.

Sotiropoulos, who appeared on the sixth season of "The Ultimate Fighter," carries a three-fight winning streak into the contest, though the Australian native hasn't fought since an April 2008 victory over Roman Mitichyan.

Roop, who until recently had been helping Sotiropoulos train at the Las Vegas-based Xtreme Couture camp, will now take on the role of foe. Following his stint on the eights season of "The Ultimate Fighter," Roop has fought to two split-decision results in the UFC, earning the win in one.

With the late change to the card, UFC 101 now includes:

MAIN CARD

* Champ B.J. Penn vs. Kenny Florian (for UFC lightweight title)
* Champ Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin (non-title fight)
* Johny Hendricks vs. Amir Sadollah
* Ricardo Almeida vs. Kendall Grove
* Josh Neer vs. Kurt Pellgrino

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Shane Nelson vs. Aaron Riley
* John Howard vs. Tamdan McCrory
* Thales Leites vs. Alessio Sakara
* Dan Cramer vs. Matthew Riddle
* George Roop vs. George Sotiropoulos
* Jesse Lennox vs. Danillo Villefort

Feb 7, 2006
MIZUGAKI GUNNING FOR CURRAN AND TITLE SHOT

It's a rare occasion when a fighter can step in on short notice, face one of the top pound-for-pound athletes on the planet, take the champion for the full five rounds, drop a decision, but become more popular and make a rise in the rankings. That's exactly what happened to Japanese fighter Takeya Mizugaki following a fight of the year candidate against Miguel Torres back in April, but now he's looking to build back up to the No. 1 contender's spot when he faces Jeff Curran on Aug. 9.

While the fan fare and rankings are nice, Mizugaki is quick to point out that it doesn't mean much without following up in his next fight, and that's what he's planning to do.

"At first I felt funny that I went up in a ranking by losing the fight, but I guess I did fight a very strong world champion," Mizugaki said in an interview with MMAWeekly.com. "In the last fight I was very cautious about his ground skill, so I didn't even bother going to the ground with him, but if I get to be in a good position on the ground then I would like to (be) aggressive and attack on the ground as well.

"Just like the last fight, I think I am facing an extremely tough opponent, but if I can win the fight against a very tough fighter, especially in a convincing manner, I believe that would put me step closer to another title challenge."

One of the biggest differences heading into this fight for Mizugaki is the fact that he will have a full training camp, unlike the last fight that he took on just a month's notice to fight a five-round championship bout.

"I am confident that I have prepared myself better than last time," Mizugaki stated.
"I did everything that needs to be done. I am in really condition too so please expect a good fight."

Going from Miguel Torres to Jeff Curran, Mizugaki knows he's not taking a step down in competition, and it's that challenge that pushes him further, and just another hurdle he must overcome to get back to the title.

"Of course I am very cautious of his BJJ skill. But mostly I am most concerned of his experience," said Mizugaki. "He has fought a lot and many of them are against top fighters. Curran has also got good punches too, but I believe I have an advantage in the standing department."

Working with a strong camp of championship-level fighters brought Mizugaki along for this fight, and he believes it's everything he needs to win the bout against Curran.

"I didn't particularly get special sparring partners to prepare for Curran or anything like that, but I did spar a lot with Shooto champ Shinichi ‘BJ’ Kojima, Shuichirou Katsumura, and Tomohiko Hori, who will be challenging Masakazu Imanari's DEEP title next month," he commented.

The last time Mizugaki fought it was a very partial Chicago crowd cheering for their hometown hero, Miguel Torres, but this time around, based on his last performance, he's hoping to bring the Las Vegas crowd to his side of the fight.

"Last time I was looking forward to hear big booing in Chicago and this time, I would like to see how the fans would react to me," he said.

The growth of the WEC's bantamweight division cannot be denied and Mizugaki is proud to be a part of it, and looks forward to moving along with them in the future as well.

"In the world arena there isn't much promotions that would emphasize on lighter weight classes. Especially in terms of 135 pounds and under division, it's almost none out there," Mizugaki said.

"Therefore, (the) WEC has become the prime goal for everyone at my weight class and for fighters it’s necessary to have the goal. In that sense I really would like to see WEC becoming big and if I can be a part of it, to be little of a help in achieving that, it would be honorable for me."

Heading into this fight, as always, Mizugaki also paid tribute to those who helped him reach his goals in the WEC.

"My weapon is striking and Chairman Watanabe of Shooting Gym Hakkei has been my trainer in that department, so I can't thank him enough. And also Mr. Murayama, who taught me MMA from the very basics, and I also really appreciate people at Kiguchi Dojo and also Shuichirou Katsumura for providing support and a place to train. And of course I like to thank my two cornermen, Shinichi ‘BJ’ Kojima and Ken Yasuda, who are coming all the way to Vegas with me," he said.

"Finally I would like to thank my sponsors, Sprawl for providing everything I need to become a top MMA fighter, American Spartan, Touché Salon, and KUBED for a continuing support. And I am thrilled to be able to work with Fighter Warehouse and Manto. Thank you so much to everyone."

Takeya Mizugaki returns to action on Aug. 9 to face Jeff Curran at WEC 42, live on Versus in the U.S.

Feb 7, 2006
Josh Barnett under consideration for Sengoku return on Nov. 7

Josh Barnett is reportedly under consideration for a return to mixed martial arts action later this year at Sengoku 11 which takes place from the Ryogoku Kokugikan Arena in Tokyo, Japan on November 7, as reported by Fight Opinion.

Barnett heads back to the “Land of the Rising Sun,” a country that’s hosted a good portion of his career and may become his main base at least for the foreseeable future after “The Babyface Assassin” failed a pre-fight drug screening for anabolic steroids prior to a showdown with Fedor Emelianenko at Affliction: “Trilogy” on Aug. 1.

He returned a positive “B” sample on Friday (July 31) according to the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC), all but confirming his initial test result from last month which could potentially prevent him from receiving a license to compete on American soil for at least a year.

And should he return to fight in U.S. somewhere down the line it’s likely he won’t be greeted with welcome arms after much fan backlash directed at him for the incident. It would also seem unlikely that any stateside promoter will be eager to book him after this recent debacle.

The impact from the findings of his positive test caused Affliction to fold as a mixed martial arts promoter after they were unable to scramble and find another opponent for Emelianenko. They instead opted to pack up shop and return to being an official sponsor of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC).

It’s also to be noted that the Japanese media hasn’t been too forgiving to Barnett for the recent stir he’s caused and he’s likely to carry some stigma there as well though not on the scale to what he’s received from North American fans.

Also while Japan has an almost ‘anything goes’ reputation in regards to mixed martial arts, it won’t be the safe haven for Barnett some would think it will be.

World Victory Road with the assistance of JADA (Japan Anti-Doping Agency) and WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) will be conducting drugs tests on its combatants.

Barnett last competed under the Sengoku umbrella in May of 2008, where he picked up a unanimous decision victory over Jeff Monson (31-8) back at Sengoku 2.

World Victory Road (WVR) officials have talked about featuring Barnett alongside Antonio “Big Foot” Silva as well as others in a mini-heavyweight tournament to crown the first Sengoku heavyweight champion for quite some time now.

Also scheduled for the Sengoku 11 card in November is judo gold medalist Satoshi Ishii who will make his mixed martial arts debut at the event.

He has also been mentioned as being part of the Sengoku heavyweight tournament, though WVR may want to bring him along slowly and not throw him in the deep end straight away against the likes of Barnett and Silva.

Unlike many other Japanese promotions, WVR has done a pretty decent job in regards to easing in prospects, though with Ishii’s heroic stature and drawing power in Japan they might try things differently with him.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see how everything transpires.

Feb 7, 2006
GSP exclusive: “I’d love to train with Lyoto”

UFC welterweight king, the Canadian Georges St. Pierre answered TATAME's call after dominating Thiago "Pitbull" in the hundredth edition of the UFC. In a relaxed chat, which you check at the TATAME Magazine #162, the fighter opened the game about the victory. "I thought he would be my most difficult challenge, because it’s like in mathematics, and Thiago Alves has an equation that I had never fought before, different problems that nobody had ever given me before", said St. Pierre, who also commented his training routine.

Black belt of Jiu-Jitsu and Karate, GSP saw the Brazilian Lyoto Machida put the Karate in the map of MMA. "My Karate style is Kyokushin and Lyoto’s is Shootokan, the rules are a little different. But I think it isn’t the style that makes the fighter, is the fighter that makes itself, and Lyoto Machida is a great fighter", praises Georges, taking the opportunity to reveal the desire to train with the fighter. "I would love it, because I love Karate and Lyoto is a great fighter", he said.

In the exclusive report with the champion, who is in the pages of the August edition of the TATAME, you will also know what St. Pierre thought when he got injured during the fight against Pitbull, his relationship with Brazil, promising to return to the Marvelous City still this year, and the possible duel against Anderson Silva, champion of th

Feb 7, 2006
Telles on Demian’s trainings for Marquardt

Demian Maia's training partner, Eduardo Telles commented the trainings of the black belt for his next challenge in the UFC. With the partner scheduled to face Nate Marquardt at the UFC 101, which happens on August 8, Telles is confident in another good performance of his friend, who has already finalized five opponents in the event. "I believe he will do well. He’s a very calm and technical athlete. Despite Nate also be from Jiu-Jitsu, I think there’s a big difference of an athlete to another”, said Eduardo, commenting about Marquardt’s game.

"He’s very aggressive and has Wrestling base, but I think this isn’t a secret to Demian. Run a bit of a risk standing, but Demian is left handed and is also no fool standing, knows how to kick, how to punch... I think it isn’t for Nate", bets the black belt, who doesn’t risk forecasts in a possible duel between his friend and Anderson Silva, in case if Demian wins the sixth fight in Ultimate. "It's complicated. After we saw Anderson against Thales, is really difficult", said, praising Anderson’s performance, with who he has trained in the past.

"He’s an exceptional athlete, isn’t silly in Jiu-Jitsu. I've already done a training without kimono with him, he’s very smart, has some good positions for the MMA, but you never know, right? Demian’s Jiu-Jitsu is really top, is a big differential. But it isn’t Jiu-Jitsu, is MMA, so it’s complicated. But we, who are from the Jiu-Jitsu, have to believe", concluded Telles, who won the gold in the weight and in open class of Senior and Master, which happened last weekend, in Rio de Janeiro.

Feb 7, 2006
Kitaoka: ‘I’m Going to Pull Those Wings Off’

TOKYO -- Sengoku lightweight champion Satoru Kitaoka was not impressed by challenger Mizuto Hirota’s hairdo.

Hirota, sporting a blue Mohawk with pink highlights, promised to supplant Kitaoka at a pre-fight press conference for Sengoku “Ninth Battle” on Saturday at Shinjuku’s Sunroute Plaza. The two will collide in the main event on Sunday at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.

“His hair makes him look a little bit like some bird from a southern island -- like a bird that likes to flap its wings or something,” Kitaoka said. “I’m going to pull those wings off.”

Hirota expects a different outcome.

“I will trust in my fists and knock Kitaoka out,” he said.

When asked why he chose to dye his hair so uniquely, the Cage Force stalwart pointed to the main event stage.

“I’m going to be in the main event,” he said, “so I wanted to be a little flashy.”

The lightweight title bout was made official at the pre-fight press conference. On behalf of Yukihiko Inoue with Sengoku’s commission, Tomoaki Fukuda had both men sign the official dedication certificate before gathered media.

“With every essence of my being,” Kitaoka said, “I will do whatever it takes to take the submission win over Hirota.”

Though he looked haggard -- as he usually does after his hard weight cuts -- the champion claimed he felt good it was over and would be prepared to fight soon.

“I’m the kind of person who isn’t alive unless I’m in the ring,” Kitaoka said. “Please note that my specialty is not foot locks. I’m an MMA fighter, and I specialize in MMA. I’m a champion in MMA, not a champion in foot locking.”

Featherweight Semi-Finalists Hopeful, Reserved

Not much was said between the semi-finalists in the Sengoku featherweight grand prix, as all four kept their pre-fight comments reserved and focused on the championship.

Tournament favorite Hatsu Hioki turned to platitudes.

“I will believe in myself and put my very best into the fight,” he said.

Hioki’s opponent, Masanori Kanehara, was more vocal about the prospect of squaring off with the former TKO champion.

“I am happy that, finally, the day has come to fight against Hioki,” he said. “The strongest in the tournament won’t win the tournament tomorrow, but he who wins it all will become the strongest.”

Undefeated featherweight King of Pancrase Marlon Sandro was all business.

“As a representative of my team, I came a long way from Brazil to Japan, not to play around but to win,” Sandro said. “I’ll prove that by becoming the champion.”

Sandro's opponent, rising featherweight star Michihiro Omigawa, was brief but respectful of the dangerous Nova Uniao product.

“I appreciate the opportunity to face an undefeated Sandro,” the UFC veteran said. “I’ll keep to my style and will be victorious all the way to the championship.”

Hornbuckle Aims to Play Spoiler

Dan Hornbuckle, primed for his second run in Sengoku, plans to spoil the return of Pride Fighting Championships and UFC veteran Akihiro Gono.

“I flew to Japan to ruin Gono’s homecoming,” Hornbuckle said. “‘The Handler’ is going to make Japan his new home for fighting.”

Clad in sunglasses, a hat and a casual summer kimono, a happy-looking Gono seemed all but oblivious to Hornbuckle’s intentions.

“It’s been a while since I’ve fought in Japan, so I apologize for not being able to read the atmosphere here by showing up in inappropriate attire,” the Grabaka showman joked. “I’ll cut my comments short and say that I look forward to entertaining everyone with my entrance tomorrow.”

Gono’s teammate, Kazuo Misaki, was understandably less jovial.

“This time is marked by the feeling that I am just one of several challengers for a chance at the [middleweight] title,” he said. “I’ll give it my best to the very end.”

When asked about his reactions to the suspension recently handed down to him by the Sengoku commission, Misaki proved elusive.

“I haven’t really thought about it at all,” Misaki said. “My future is not set right now. However, I did everything I had to in preparing for this fight.”

Misaki’s opponent, Kazuhiro Nakamura was all but ready to throw down with the 2006 Pride welterweight grand prix winner right then and there.

“I really want to cross swords with him,” Nakamura said. “I can cut him down, but I am also prepared for the event that he cuts me down. Let’s have a fight like that tomorrow.”

Sengoku “Ninth Battle”
Sunday, Aug. 2
Saitama Super Arena
Saitama, Japan

Sengoku Lightweight Championship
Satoru Kitaoka (154.1) vs. Mizuto Hirota (154.3)

Sengoku Featherweight Grand Prix
Michihiro Omigawa (143.1) vs. Marlon Sandro (142.6)
Hatsu Hioki (143.3) vs. Masanori Kanehara (143.3)
Reserve - Chan Sung Jung (142.9) vs. Matt Jaggers (142.4)

Kazuo Misaki (183) vs. Kazuhiro Nakamura (183)
Kazuyuki Fujita (248) vs. Blagoi Ivanov (242.5)
Akihiro Gono (167.6) vs. Dan Hornbuckle (166)
Eiji Mitsuoka (154.3) vs. Clay French (154.1)
Yoshihiro Nakao (221.1) vs. Mu Bae Choi (241.2)
Takeshi Numajiri (132.1) vs. Ryosuke Komori (132.3)
Toru Harai (143.3) vs. Shigeki Osawa (143.3)
Ikuo Usuda (154.3) vs. Koji Ando (153.7)

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Sengoku 9 live stream
They're doing the fighter intros now, think it's gonna re-air on friday on HDNet with The Voice doing commentary

lmao Gono just came out in a zebra print robe/kimono and a fedora with shades on

Edit- Notes so far *SPOILERS*

Sandro just got fucking robbed, somewhere Mezger is going apeshit about Japanese judging.
All the fights have been a decision so far, gonna be a long night.
Kiss vs. Mu Bae was a slop fest.
Hioki needs to work on finishing fights. He had 3 armbars, 2 triangles, a RNC and a guillotine and couldnt finish, along with mount 3 or 4 times.
Matt Jagger is coming out to Notorious Thugs right now haha. Rooting for Korean Zombie since Hioki and OMGawa are gassed right now.
Clay French sucks, but I was cracking up every time the announcer yelled "CRAAAAAYYYYY FRENCHYYYYYY"
JESUS CHRIST Gono just got fucking killed, KO of the year!!!
... fuck he hasn't moved yet. He just opened his eyes a couple minutes after the KO. They're putting Gono on a stretcher... This sucks, I still haven't seen him move.
Ishii just came out, got a decent applause.
wtf Kanehara is replacing Hioki in the finals, Zombie gets screwed again. Fuck this shit I'm watching Blagoi and going to bed.
Lol Blagoi gassed in the 1st from throwing nothing but Wand windmill punches, looks like one of the old toughman fights where both are throwing nothing but sloppy hooks and not landing anything. Aleks is going to fucking rape this guy. Hopefully not literally.