MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
What is Going on with UFC, Bud Light, and Mickey’s? (Updated)

Last week’s edition of TUF had a subtle sponsor item that may have escaped the eye of most of those watching the telecast, but may speak to larger issues.

Mickey’s sponsorship of the tale of the tape comes after a long absence from sponsoring the UFC. The company was a major sponsor of the UFC, but was ushered out the door with the UFC’s signing with Bud Light. As noted in their press release at the time of the Bud Light signing, the Anheuser-Busch company signed on to be the exclusive beer sponsor for the UFC. With Mickey’s in, is Bud Light in, out, or somewhere in between? Many questions abound….

Is the UFC playing semantics with the difference between malt liquor and beer, and if so, at what cost to their relationship with Bud Light? The UFC has a deal with Tequila Cazadores to be the official spirits sponsor of the UFC, but the this represents another product category all together and wouldn’t be seen as a direct competitor to Bud Light. Not so with Mickey’s and Bud. In addition, Mickey’s is a MillerCoors company, which serves as the Pepsi to Bud’s Coke, so to speak. Trying to play off of both brands while having an exclusive deal for beer with one would be frowned upon. Even if Bud Light didn’t care to sponsor the tale of the tape, they would look to protect their exclusive rights with the UFC and have them pursue a non-alcoholic beverage sponsor for the TUF spot. I’m hard pressed to name any sports entity that is double dipping from both Miller and Bud Light. If the Bud Light UFC deal is still in effect, this kind of abrogation of the agreement would have to be run by Bud for an OK and their would likely have to be some kind of special circumstance instigating such a deal.

Which begs the question, does the deal with Mickey’s signal a strained relationship between the UFC and Bud Light? An noted previously on MMAPayout.com, Bud Light frowned upon Dana White’s recent blog rant commenting “The comments by Dana White were inappropriate, insensitive and out-of-line. We have spoken to Dana about the gravity of this issue and communicated that our company maintains a corporate commitment to zero tolerance for discrimination.” While they frowned upon Dana’s comments, they made no intimations that any kind of separation with the UFC was imminent. With the UFC hitting their demo wheelhouse, as loathsome as White’s comments were, Bud Light would be hard pressed to scrap their UFC deal. Industry sources have indicated to MMAPayout that Bud Light does have periodic outs in their UFC deal, allowing exits at specified times before the 3 year term of the deal is over. It should also be noted that Bud Light is still prominently featured on the UFC website, which suggests the relationship is seemingly healthy. Bud Light paid a premium to be an exclusive provider, have they scaled back their sponsorship? With the Bud InBev merger, one of the first areas mentioned for savings was the large amount of sponsorship dollars spent on sporting events. Is the UFC sponsorship becoming a casualty of this cost cutting mindset?

One possible explanation for the Mickey’s deal is the UFC meeting previous contractual obligations. The UFC severed their deal with Mickey’s rather quickly after signing with Bud Light. The UFC may be having to make good on their Mickey’s sponsorship that was shunted aside in the ushering in of Bud Light. Making good on an unfulfilled deal would be preferable to litigation, but again this is something that would have to be done in co-operation with Bud.

The Mickey’s sponsorship raises many questions, with few answers at this point. MMAPayout has e-mailed UFC VP of Sponsorship Sales Michael Pine, UFC Assistant General Counsel at Zuffa and Sponsor Czar Mike Mersch, and UFC PR Head Jennifer Wenk for clarification on this item, but have received no comment as of press time. We’ll let our readers know more when/if they respond.

Update: Bud Light responded with the following: “According to Bud Light’s sponsorship of the UFC, all official Ultimate Fighting Championship Pay-Per-View fights, the UFC Spike Fight Nights, and WEC on Versus are all Bud Light sponsored. Our sponsorship does not include The Ultimate Fighter broadcasts.” The one out in the contract looks to have been exercised by the UFC, but it should be interesting to see if this move is revisited come contract renegotiation time.

Feb 7, 2006
Minowaman! The 2 Vs. 1 Training Method

Minowaman, who is facing Bob Sapp in the first round of the Super Hulk Tournament next week, did an open training session at the Sakaguchi Dojo in Tokyo today. He has ran after planes, dodged baseballs, and faced one person sitting on top of another with a stick in his hand. This time his training theme is 2 vs. 1, meaning that he spars with one person who has another person pushing him behind his back (combined around 160-170 kg), adding pressure and weight. His two sparring partners are MMA fighters Ryushi Yanagisawa and Kousei Kubota.

Feb 7, 2006
Ishii Update! Back In Japan

Sportsnavi reported Tuesday that Satoshi Ishii, who is the Beijing Olympic judo gold medalist, came back from Brazil.

He trained at Machida Dojo where Lyoto Machida's father ran for 2.5 months. While staying in Brazil, he contracted Malaria and was hospitalized in April, and he got kicked in the face by Lyoto and dislocated his jaw in the beginning of May. On the way coming back to Japan, he stopped by at Renzo Gracie Academy in NY and trained for 2 days. Ishii said, "Through training in Brazil, I conquered my fear of getting punches. I can see punches very well now."

As for his debut, he said, "I haven't decided where to fight yet, but I want to debut in 2009. I have to be a champion in the US and be famous. I am determined to be a Hollywood star."

He is going to train in Japan for a month. "I want to go to Russia or the Netherlands next. I want to train with Fedor Emelianenko."

Feb 7, 2006
Welterweight Mike Pyle tapped as "standby" fighter for UFC 98

Strikeforce, WEC, Affliction and Sengoku veteran Mike Pyle (17-5-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has been tapped as a "standby" fighter for Saturday night's "UFC 98: Evans vs. Machida."

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) learned from sources close to the event that Pyle has signed a contract with the organization and has been told to be ready to step into Saturday's event.

Additional sources have indicated the UFC may be using "Quicksand" as an insurance policy for Brazilian resident Chris Wilson (14-5 MMA, 1-2 UFC) in his bout with Brock Larson (25-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC).

An Xtreme Couture-trained fighter and Las Vegas resident, Pyle has also fought for the now-defunct EliteXC and IFL organizations. Currently riding a four-fight win streak, Pyle has earned 15 of his 17 career wins by submission.

Additionally, Pyle has fought to a decision just twice in his nine-and-a-half year career. The 31-year-old counts Jake Shields, Matt Horwich, Rory Markham and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson among his five career defeats.

The immediate reason for the potential concern surrounding Wilson wasn't clear.

Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer did confirm with MMAjunkie.com that he was "waiting for some additional medical information" from Wilson, but he insisted there was no failed drug test or reason to believe Wilson would be unable to compete at this time.

Wilson, a Team Nogueira fighter lives and trains in Brazil, and "The Professor" recently made headlines when recounting the harrowing story of surviving an armed robbery in Rio de Janeiro.

Wilson was originally slated to face Josh Koscheck at UFC 98, but the American Kickboxing Academy-trained fighter was forced to withdraw in April after suffering an injury in preparation for the contest.

While initial reports suggest Pyle has been brought in as a potential replacement for Wilson, the Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra and Yoshiyuki Yoshida vs. Brandon Wolff bouts will also be contested at 170 pounds.

For complete coverage of UFC 98, including the latest on Pyle's status, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

Feb 7, 2006
Pat Miletich and Sam Caplan add to WAMMA's front-office exodus

Members of the World Alliance of Mixed Martial Arts since its inception, the organization's Vice President of Fighter Relations, Pat Miletich, and interim Chief Operating Officer, Sam Caplan, have resigned from the aspiring MMA sanctioning body.

The resignations were officially announced Tuesday afternoon.

In a move that may signal the beginning of the end for WAMMA, Miletich and Caplan's resignations follow the April departure of original COO Michael Lynch.

Both Miletich and Caplan stated in a joint press release that the decision was based more on faith in WAMMA's operational structure than the principles of the organization.

"Throughout my entire time with WAMMA, I've been sincere in my belief that the sport needs undisputed champions in every major weight class," Miletich stated. "To this day, I still feel that way and still believe in WAMMA's basic principles.

"However, I no longer believe that WAMMA's execution is where it needs to be in order for it to meet its full potential. Based on that and a growing difference of opinion with WAMMA's board of directors, I made the decision that it is time to move on."

Caplan, who took over as interim COO after Lynch's departure, echoed Miletich's sentiments.

"There's no way to sugarcoat it," Caplan stated. "When you leave a position you had planned to serve for at least three months after just six weeks, it's not an amicable parting. But like Pat, I believe in what an organization such as WAMMA could bring to the sport.

"However, in my brief time as serving as its COO, I also share Pat's concerns whether WAMMA will be able to accomplish all that it originally set out to do. I felt the only decision for me to make was to leave the organization."

WAMMA has endured consistent criticism from many MMA observers since its September 2007 inception. While many questioned WAMMA's motivations – and questioned the validity of its title belts without the involvement of the sport's biggest promotion, the UFC – Miletich insisted the organization's ideals were genuine.

"I am proud of the work [Caplan and I] did during our respective tenures at WAMMA," Miletich stated. "WAMMA still has its critics to this day but not nearly as many when we first began. When we first started, many people pre-judged WAMMA because it was a sanctioning body and since sanctioning bodies have hurt boxing, people just assumed WAMMA would have the same effect. But WAMMA has always been about trying to move the sport forward and I feel confident in my belief that during my stay with the organization, WAMMA did nothing but try to act with the best intentions.

"Despite being a sanctioning body, we never once asked a promoter or a fighter for a fee. In fact, in many cases, WAMMA went out of its way to contribute to the growth of several promotions."

WAMMA crowned former PRIDE champion Fedor Emelianenko as its inaugural belt-holder after he defeated Tim Sylvia in July 2008 under the Affliction banner. The sanctioning body then awarded Shinya Aoki its first lightweight title, and second belt overall, after a December 2008 win over Eddie Alvarez at K-1 Dynamite!! 2008.

WAMMA still counts Chief Executive Officer Dave Szady, Vice President of Business Development Bill Goldberg, Executive Legal Counselor Fred Levin and Chief Financial Officer Wayne Stephenson among its remaining executive committee, but the loss of Miletich and Caplan – the two most-visible and most-involved members of WAMMA in the mixed martial arts community – leaves obvious questions as to the future viability of the organization.

Feb 7, 2006
Heath Herring off UFC 99 card, replacement to be named on Wednesday

UFC heavyweight Heath Herring (28-14 MMA, 2-3 UFC) has been forced out of next month's UFC 99 fight with Cain Velasquez (5-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) due to an injury.

That's the word from UFC officials, who stated a replacement will be named on Wednesday.

UFC 99 takes place June 13 at the Lanxess Arena in Colgone, Germany. The Herring vs. Velasquez bout had been slated as the night's co-headliner to a main event of Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei Silva.

According to MMA FanHouse, which first broke the news earlier today, Herring was forced off the card not due to an injury but instead due to an illness that's kept him out of training for the past few weeks.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) could not immediately reach Herring, who recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio he was excited to fight one of the sport's top prospects.

"When they (UFC officials) call me up, they say, 'I think this would be a good fight,'" Herring said. "And I say, 'Alright, let's do it.' That's pretty much how I work. I'm probably the easiest guy to matchup.

"I don't get tomato cans. I've had a rough road. I think at the end of the day, I like it."

Herring was scheduled to fight for the first time in 10 months. His most recent octagon appearance left him a bruised and battered mess after 15 minutes with current UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar, who won a lopsided unanimous decision.

Velasquez, meanwhile, is seeking his fourth straight win in the UFC. Previous bouts with Denis Stojnic, Jake O'Brien and Brad Morris have all ended in TKO victories for the American Kickboxing Academy product.

Although no official announcement has been made, a possible opponent for Velasquez is Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (24-6-2 MMA, 1-2 UFC), who recently announced his return to the UFC, possibly at UFC 99. Although expected to replace Todd Duffee (4-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) in a preliminary-card bout with Mustapha Al Turk (6-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC), the Croatian-born Filipovic could instead take Herring's spot on the UFC 99 main card while keeping the Duffee vs. Al Turk bout in tact.

Feb 7, 2006
HACKLEMAN WANTS RECONCILIATION FOR CHUCK

John Hackleman is still angry over the things UFC president Dana White has said about him in the saga of Chuck Liddell’s possible retirement.

He regrets, however, that his role in the debate has upset his longtime student and friend.

“Chuck truly cares about us and we care about him,” Hackleman told MMAWeekly.com. “I don’t like doing this.”

“The Pit” owner/trainer prompted a verbal offensive from the UFC president after he asserted Liddell would choose when to stop fighting. White made the unprecedented decision to retire the former light heavyweight champion following his loss to Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at UFC 97.

Amongst many claims, White said Hackleman was just looking for another payday from his fighter.

“Hack” disputed the interpretation in several interviews, and believes a “brain scramble” led White to lash out.

“You can never find my quote that says I want Chuck to fight again,” he said. “My quote says he does have another fight on his contract, and I don’t think Dana should be the one telling him when to quit; I think Chuck will tell us when he’s going to retire. I never once said ‘I want Chuck to fight.’ All I wanted was for Chuck to do what’s in Chuck’s heart, whether that’s fight or retire.”

It’s been a month since White’s announcement, and Liddell has yet to fully commit to the career change. He recently told MMAWeekly.com he wanted to stay out of the fray.

Hackleman says his relationship with White has always been rocky.

“I hate that Dana and I can’t get along, and we’re always fighting,” said Hackleman. “We have in the past, and we’ve tried to make up for Chuck, because it really bothers Chuck. I’ve reached out to Dana, and I’ve tried to call him many times.”

Unfortunately, past efforts have not been successful.

“I’ve only got so many numbers,” he continued. “I’m sorry for my part and I’m sure Dana is too; we just seem to rub each other the wrong way.”

A trip to Hawaii in late June will go on as planned, says Hackleman, where the two will bond without the pressure of making a decision.

“We’re just going to go there and hang out,” he said. “Maybe he will decide, maybe he won’t. There’s no rush. He’s a young 39, and he can decide when he’s going to retire from fighting. Either way, I’m behind him.”

If Liddell chooses to retire, Hackleman wants Liddell to step into a bigger coaching role with the fighters of “The Pit.”

“I would lean towards we’re done,” said Hackleman. “I always said I’d rather Chuck retire and help me run the gym. It’s much better that way.”

White told MMAWeekly the shape of Liddell’s retirement is still being worked on. He has assured fans and media that “The Iceman” will continue to work for the UFC, albeit in a non-fighting capacity.

Hackleman says he will continue to reach out to White, and keep the lines of communication open.

“I’ll try to call him again for Chuck’s good, because Chuck does not like this,” the trainer stressed. “He doesn’t think it’s funny, he doesn’t think it’s cute. It would be better if we all got along. If I got a call from him, I’d love to make it up. I don’t like being misquoted and put down.”

Feb 7, 2006
^^^
Herring Out; Kongo-Velasquez Set for UFC 99

Cheick Kongo will replace an injured Heath Herring to take on Cain Velasquez at UFC 99 on June 13 in Germany, the UFC announced Wednesday.

Kongo has won three straight in the Octagon. Most recently he stopped Antoni Hardonk in the second round at UFC 97 in April. At 14-4-1 overall, he is expected to be Velasquez’s toughest matchup thus far.

Velasquez is 5-0 overall and 3-0 in the UFC. A member of the American Kickboxing Academy, he is considered one of the top heavyweight prospects in MMA.

Feb 7, 2006
Former NFL lineman Marcus Jones seeks "TUF" road to MMA success

Walking into the Gracie Tampa academy in Tampa, Fla., it's hard to miss Marcus Jones (4-1).

The massive former Tampa Bay Buccaneer defensive tackle can often be seen rolling with a few of his 300-plus-pound training partners, honing the skills that earned the heavyweight prospect a submission win in his 2007 professional debut just five months after he began training.

A physically gifted athlete, Jones admits there weren't many skills he was able to easily transition from his NFL career to competing in mixed martial arts.

"Football has a lot of quick and explosive bursts of strength and energy that last about 10 seconds with rest between plays and timeouts that help you recuperate," Jones recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "MMA requires you to maintain a high level of energy, strength and focus for five minutes straight, sometimes for multiple rounds. It's completely different."

The "sometimes" probably refers to training. Jones hasn't fought past the 2:32 mark of the first round in his five career bouts.

Jones did believe at least one aspect of his football career will help him in his budding, year-and-a-half old MMA run.

"In football, I was constantly hitting and moving guys that were anywhere between 300 and 340 pounds," Jones said. "So competing against guys who walk around at 300 pounds won't be anything new."

But one aspect of MMA was very new to Marcus Jones: learning the grappling game.

"When I first got [to Gracie Tampa], there was a 290-pound fighter who kept catching me in submissions," Jones said. "I couldn't get off my back. I knew then that I had to work hard to learn the submission game."

So how does Jones stack up physically against the top heavyweight fighters in the world? He stands 6-foot-6 and says he walks around at 280 pounds. Current UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar, a massive man by any standards, walks around at about the same weight and stands 6-foot-3.

Some critics say the 35-year-old Jones' late start in MMA and the wear and tear he took in the NFL are two major factors working against him. Jones disagrees.

"When I finished playing football, I could hardly move my legs," Jones said. "Training MMA has not only whipped me into the best shape of my life, but now I can move and work out with no pain."

While other 35-year-old fighters may be on the tail end of their careers, Jones puts no such limitations on himself.

"As long as my body will allow me to compete, (I'll fight)," Jones said. "I love this sport."

Gracie Tampa head trainer Rob Kahn claims that the sky is the limit for Jones. As a former Golden Gloves boxing champion and a Royce Gracie black belt in Gracie jiu jitsu, Kahn should know.

He believes Jones can not only compete with, but also defeat, any of the UFC's heavyweight contenders. Jones is hoping for the opportunity to prove his instructor right.

In early April, Jones was one of approximately 250 contestants that showed up in Seattle for the open tryouts for the 10th season of Spike TV's "The Ultimate Fighter."

"It was really a lot of fun," Jones said of the experience. "They just called your name along with someone else, and you got to go out there and show them what you're made of."

While the UFC and Spike TV have not yet extended any invitations, Jones remains hopeful as the taping of "TUF 10" draws near.

Gracie Tampa has already produced five fighters who appeared on the "TUF" series, including Allen "Monsta Lobsta" Berube, Brandon Sene, Shane Primm, Brian McLaughlin and Matt Arroyo. Rob Kahn believes the UFC would be making a huge mistake if the organization didn't add Marcus Jones to that list.

And Jones knows if the UFC does call – whether for a reality-show slot or a spot on the big show – every fight will be the biggest fight of his career.

"All those guys are top-notch," Jones said. "There are no easy opponents. I'd have to approach each fight like I'm fighting the best guy I've ever faced."

Feb 7, 2006
MILLER'S TIME: NO MORE GOOFING OFF FOR MAYHEM

Jason “Mayhem” Miller says the days of monkeying around in the ring are done.

A decision loss to submission ace Ronaldo “Jacare” de Souza in Dream’s Middleweight Grand Prix woke him up. The "Bully Beatdown" host realized his attitude was costing him fights.

“I got my ass kicked, and I deserved to get my ass kicked, because I tried to fight (Jacare) on his game, his strong suit,” Miller told MMAWeekly.com. “I’m an idiot for that. And as the fight progressed, I didn’t have any choice, because I was tired and I wasn’t all the way in it. I didn’t train hard enough and he was the better guy that night.”

When it came time to fight next, he got serious, submitting former ICON champ Kala Kolohe Hose in the first round. Going into the fight, there was a score to settle: a rematch with de Souza at Dream 9 for the middleweight title.

“I knew this title fight was on the horizon, so I got the job done real quick with minimal goofing off,” Miller continued. “Which is really weird for me, because I really like to have fun when I fight and be unfocused about it.”

When the rematch comes May 26, Miller plans to take “Jacare” where he is weakest. For once, he won’t deviate from the game plan.

“This time, I’m bringing it to the next level,” he said. “I’m training so damn hard, and I’m training accurately, training the right way for this fight, as opposed to the wrong way. Last time I went out there, no game plan, like I usually do, and go out and flip bananas—‘I’m gonna put on a show, it’s going to be fun, and blah, blah, it doesn’t matter whether I win or lose.’

“This time it matters. And I’m going to win.”

Feb 7, 2006
DATE SET FOR NY MMA VOTE

Eleven is the magic number.

On June 3, the New York State Assembly’s Committee on Tourism, Parks, Arts and Sports will debate and vote on bill 2009-B, which would regulate the sport of mixed martial arts in the state.

Michael Kim, a representative from committee chair and bill sponsor Assemblyman Steve Englebright’s office, informed MMAWeekly.com of the news Wednesday morning.

“It will be a pretty significant first step,” said Kim.

Assemblyman Jonathan Bing, a Democrat representing the county of New York, will present the arguments in favor of the bill.

Assemblyman Bob Reilly, a Democrat representing Albany and Saratoga counties, will present the arguments opposing the bill. Mr. Reilly has been a vocal critic of the sport and last month released a document to committee members that outlined his arguments against legalizing the sport.

Out of 21 committee members, 11 votes are needed to pass the bill out of committee with a favorable review. If it passes, it then heads to the Codes Committee (for bills with legal implications) followed by the Ways and Means Committee (for bills with fiscal implications). Both committees will vote on the bill before passing it to the Assembly floor for a general vote.

A Senate companion bill to the MMA legislation is currently in its Cultural Affairs Committee.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Kim informed MMAWeekly.com at 3:34 EST that the debate and vote had been changed to June 3 in order to give more time to the bill.

Feb 7, 2006
HDNet announces schedule change for DREAM.9 coverage

With the line-up now complete for the 10-bout, talent-laden DREAM.9 event in Japan, U.S. broadcast partner HDNet has announced a schedule change for their coverage.

The event will now begin Tuesday morning, May 26 at 5 a.m. ET, two hours later than its original 3 a.m. slot.

Airing from the famous Yokohama Arena in Kanagawa, Japan, DREAM.9 will also receive a primetime encore presentation on May 29, when the show re-airs at 10 p.m. ET.

Unlike several past DREAM events, DREAM.9 will be carried live on HDNet. While many have openly questioned the logic of former baseball player Jose Canseco participating in DREAM's "Super Hulk" open-weight tournament, the freak-show factor may have worked into the network's decision to carry the event live.

"Who doesn't want to see Jose Canseco take on Hong Man Choi in the U.S. in the middle of the night?" Simon joked in April with MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "We have over 34 events on air this year. One thing we're committed to is bringing events live when we can."

While the "Super Hulk" tournament will open up the evening's schedule, an intriguing bout between Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante and Tatsuya Kawajiri, as well as a middleweight title fight between Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza and Jason "Mayhem" Miller, will bookend four second-round bouts in DREAM's featherweight tournament.

The full card includes:

* Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza vs. Jason "Mayhem" Miller (for vacant middleweight title)
* Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto vs. Joe Warren*
* Bibiano Fernandes vs. Masakazu Imanari*
* Yoshiro Maeda vs. Hiroyuki Takaya*
* Abel Cullum vs. Hideo Tokoro*
* Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri
* Mark Hunt vs. Gegard Mousasi+
* Jan Nortje vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou+
* Jose Canseco vs. Hong Man Choi+
* Ikuhisa "Minowaman" Minowa vs. Bob Sapp+

* - Featherweight grand prix second round
+ - Open-weight tournament first round

Feb 7, 2006
TUF 9 Finale: Martin Kampmann vs TJ Grant in the works for June 20

Former top middleweight contender Martin Kampmann (15-2) is in talks to tangle with UFC sophomore TJ Grant (14-2) in a welterweight match up at The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 9 Finale at “The Pearl” at the Palms Resort in Las Vegas, Nevada, on June 20.

Grant announced the bout earlier today via his Facebook page and MMAmania.com was able to independently confirm the announcement with Grant’s camp.

Kampmann made his welterweight debut at UFC Fight Night 18: “Condit vs. Kampmann,” spoiling the Octagon debut of World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) Welterweight Champion and top-ranked 170-pound fighter Carlos Condit.

The “Hitman” recently had his nine-fight win streak snapped after getting wrecked by Nate Marquardt in short order via bruising first round technical knockout at UFC 88: “Breakthrough” back in September 2008. It was apparently a wake up call for the Danish kickboxer that perhaps he is better suited to compete in a division 15 pounds lighter.

This will mark the second time that Kampmann will compete at 170 pounds. And if he is able to perform well like he did on April 1, he could be facing some top competition in the category sooner rather than later.

Grant made his UFC debut with a split decision victory over PRIDE veteran Ryo Chonan on April 18 at UFC 97 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The FitPlus standout has won 14 of his 16 professional fights - with a staggering 12 of those 14 by submission.

In addition to winning matches, he’s been winning over audiences in Canada for quite some time and holds convincing victories over UFC veterans like Forrest Petz.

TUF 9 Finale features a lightweight match between Diego Sanchez and Clay Guida, as well as a co main event that pits and Joe Stevenson against Nate Diaz in another fantastic 155-pound showdown.

Naturally, the Spike TV special will also host the lightweight and welterweight finales for the ninth season of TUF, which is currently in progress. Coach Dan Henderson is leading a U.S. team against coach Michael Bisping and his British squad.

Feb 7, 2006
MMA Quick Quote: Phil Baroni hypes up his Strikeforce fight against Joe Rigg

“Really, there’s not much to say. Joe’s 25 years old and he’ll have his day. On June 6, I’m knocking him the (expletive) out. I’m going to (expletive) him up bad. I’m going to bust him up the whole (expletive) fight. It’s up to him how long he wants to last. Whether he wants to last one round or he wants to last three – I’m going to (expletive) him up. Never mind being in shape. I’m not thanking anybody for being here. Any promotion that has me, it’s lucky for them. No one’s kissing anyone’s asses. I’m just ready to fight and beat the (expletive) out of him. He looks like he’s been overtraining. I’d say he’s about maybe 155 (pounds). You don’t look like that big at 170 right now. Something’s wrong with him. I asked my agent – I said ‘hey get me a southpaw to fight.’ My agent’s pretty stupid. He said ‘What’s that? He didn’t know what a southpaw was. So, I said ‘It’s a (expletive) left-handed fighter.’ I’m real good at fighting lefties. Lefties are made to order for me. They eat straight right hands and I’ve got a pretty (expletive) big one. I’m going to put it right on his kisser. It’s do or die for me and I ain’t (expletive) ready to die. I got a lot of fighting left in me. Joe’s young. I’m a man now and I think he’s a boy. Someday I’ll probably commentate for Joe when he’s fighting for a world title. This is my time. I’m going to take care of my business and that starts with Joe and everyone else at 170 pounds with Strikeforce.”