MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Ricardo Arona turns down Wanderlei Silva’s invitation

There were many that felt that the long lasting feud between Brazilian rivals Wanderlei Silva and Ricardo Arona was nearing it’s end, and although it looks as if that may still be true, it doesn’t appear that the two will be training together anytime soon.

In a recent interview with Tatame Magazine, “The Axe Murderer” revealed that although he had a well known rivalry with fellow Brazilians Ricardo Arona and Paulo Filho, he had a desire to smooth things over and hopefully set up an arrangement where the trio could train together in the near future.

Filho recently confirmed to Tatame that he would be more than willing to accept the former PRIDE middleweight champion’s invite.

“It would be an honor, I’m very happy to have received this invitation and tell him to wait for me,” Filho confessed when questioned about the recent invitation. “What he needs from me, I’m here to help”

However, Arona doesn’t exactly feel the same way. That’s not to say that the feared grappler is ruling it out in the future, or even that he holds any kind of grudge against Silva, it’s just not the right time right now according to Arona.

“It’s something surprising to me and to all who accompanies the fights long ago, but I have nothing against him, we are professional now, but this call, at the moment, I don’t need,” Arona revealed to Tatame.com. “I’ll refuse this invitation, for a while. I appreciate the invitation, but it isn’t what I need now

“But the future we never know, if tomorrow will have a union… It may happen some day… What is happening today, of us praising each other, no one expected before, then anything can happen. I appreciate, but it isn’t what I have as a goal”

Feb 7, 2006
SPEED VS POWER, PAT BARRY READY FOR TIM HAGUE

Debuting with a subtle 3-0 record going into the UFC, there were a lot of expectations upon Pat Barry’s arrival into the organization.

He also maintains an extensive kickboxing record, which includes a win over UFC and Pride veteran Gary Goodridge. That bout ended in abrupt fashion with Barry landing his trademark leg kick after leg kick, which helped set up crisp punch combinations causing a halt to the bout on the doctor’s advice inside of the first round.

Barry made similar work of his first opponent in the UFC in Dan Evensen. “The Viking” (not to be confused with the ‘Techno Viking’) submitted after brutal leg kicks left him nearly immobile. The bout was on the preliminary card, but made its way on the televised broadcast at UFC 92.

Going into his second fight with the organization on May 23 at UFC 98 in Las Vegas, against Tim Hague on the preliminary card, the New Orleans native believes that the allotted amount of time from his last fight can only benefit him in the best way.

“That’s why the fights are always awesome. That’s why the UFC is the best of the best. I’m sure it’s happened maybe once or twice, but they didn’t say, ‘you ready to fight in three weeks or two weeks’? They gave the most notice so that I can be in the most shape possible, like toppest form possible, no injuries. I mean, that’s why the fights turn out to be great because the guys are always ready,” explained Barry recently on the MMAWeekly Radio show.

While the card has been plagued with injuries from Houston Alexander to James Irvin and Josh Koscheck, the UFC has begun shuffling the undercard. Barry was originally set to be the first fight of the night, but has now moved to the second to last fight on the preliminary portion of the event. While a spot on the main card would be nice, Barry believes that people are going to be watching his fight regardless.

“We were the first fight of the night again, and then we moved up to the second. Now we’ve been moved up again to the second to last fight on the undercard. I will say this, we may not be on the main card, that’s true, but the fight will be shown on TV.”

Making the trip to Milwaukee once again to improve his all around game with UFC veterans in Alan Belcher and Eric Schaefer, Barry is also under the tutelage of arguably one of the world's best kickboxers in Duke Roufus. Though the training he receives from his camp is something he wouldn’t trade for anything else, which proves evident with his nine-month stint in Wisconsin, he admits time spent away from home is tough and only hopes that strong performances in the UFC will call for an event to come to his home of New Orleans.

“This is my guess. I’m going to keep sending out like subliminal messages about how we need to bring the UFC out to New Orleans and I’d say if I kick two or three more people to death, they gotta do it eventually, right? I mean, if I can get a big enough following coming from New Orleans, if I have enough people making enough noise and enough ruckus, they gotta do it.”

Often at times fighters are only really recognized after they have that three-round war, that great knockout or submission that people remember, but Barry is already feeling the love from the fans. He feels that it’s the greatest thing that has come from his experience in the limelight of his UFC experience thus far.

“That’s probably my favorite part of the entire experience. Ever since the beginning of my fighting career, that’s what I said I wanted to do. I want to represent New Orleans to the max, as much as possible," he said.

“The support that I’ve gotten from the people around the city, ever since that first fight, that’s what I was aiming for since the beginning.”

Taking on another “big dude” in Tim Hague, Barry understands his limitations. Being one of the smaller heavyweights in his division, standing at 5 feet 11 inches and about 230 pounds, “HD” still feels confident in his abilities. He believes that his athleticism and speed will carry him over some of the bigger heavyweights who may be lacking in those departments. With another stern test ahead of him, Barry wants to continue to prove to himself and others that he is a force to be reckoned with in a division that has been continuing to build itself with new up and coming talent.

“Tim Hague is 6-foot-4, 265 pounds; he’ll probably be 280 by the time the fight comes. This is going to be a test between speed versus power because he’s a lot bigger than I am. I’m a lot faster than he is. It’s going to be speed versus power, but the only catch is I’m kind of strong too.”

Feb 7, 2006
Rising from the Slums

In Brazil, where an estimated 50 million people live in favelas, or slums, it’s common for a child to dream of changing his or her life through sports.

In years past, kids have aspired to follow in the footsteps of soccer idols like Romário and Ronaldo, both of whom were born in the Rio de Janeiro favelas. Nowadays, the popularity of mixed martial arts in Brazil and the growth of its international market have attracted more athletes from these poor communities who aim to become the next Wanderlei Silva, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira or Anderson Silva.

Growing up in Vila Cruzeiro at the Complexo do Alemão, the most violent favela of Rio de Janeiro, Andre Santos never lost sight of his goal to become a champion. Violence, a lack of money and the tempting proposals of drug dealers constantly knocked on his door, and Chatuba had to fight hard to avoid the criminal element. Today, he’s considered one of the biggest revelations in Brazil’s 183-pound division.

“I was born and raised with many guys who went towards the wrong life, but I chose the path of being an athlete while they chose another way and I respect them,” says Chatuba, who began training in the style of Luta Livre, or “free fight,” thanks to a social project organized by Marcio Cromado Barbosa, founder of the RFT team. Chatuba was one of 120 local children who trained for free under Barbosa and one of his students.

Before accruing his impressive 13-1 record, Chatuba honed his craft at RFT’s headquarters in the distant Botafogo district.

“Many times, I had to cancel traveling to my training because of confrontations between the police and the criminals close to my house,” says Chatuba. “I felt like I was in a war zone. Young men who live here must have the will power to not succumb to drug dealers’ offers and follow the wrong path. I saw many friends who trained with me surrender. Today, many of them are dead or in jail.”

Chatuba’s idol is UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, a man the young fighter hopes to emulate by breaking into the competitive ranks in the U.S. or Japan.

“Anderson Silva had many difficulties, and today he can offer his family a better life by being a fighter,” says Chatuba. “My dream is to fight in the U.S. or Japan and earn money to live better.”

The Heroes of Santo Amaro

“I am Spider Man, you are Marlon and he is Hacran.”

In the slums located on the hillside of Santo Amaro, a district close to downtown Rio de Janeiro, children usually play by mixing the heroes of fiction with their real-life counterparts. That’s a fair comparison. After all, their heroes fight and defeat everyday villains, like hunger and violence.

To achieve his comic-book status among children in the community, Marlon Sandro had to break down many barriers. Raised without a father, Sandro tried soccer. However, at the age of 13, he found his true calling when his uncle brought him to Flamengo to train, and he knocked out a boy named “Capeta” on the field.

“Everybody was afraid of the guy,” recalls Sandro.

A life in fighting was still a few years away, though.

Working in a business office, the 17-year-old Sandro was introduced to Brazilian jiu-jitsu legend and Nova União team founder André Pederneiras through his friend, Hudson. Though Hudson put Sandro on the right track, he did not live to see his friend’s success. With the support of Pederneiras and fellow fighter Rafael Carino, Sandro persevered and, in addition to amassing his unblemished 14-0 record, he opened a place that has offered free lessons to the children in his community since 2003.

“I want to give them the opportunity that I have not had,” says Sandro, who supplements the rent by working as a lifeguard.

Sandro, who has enjoyed two recent wins in World Victory Road’s Sengoku featherweight tournament in Japan, notes that his program has prevented many children from turning to a life of drug dealing.

“It took many children away from crime life, but I lost a boy who I thought would be a phenom. The kid ended up being murdered,” says Sandro.

Sandro’s cousin, Hacran Dias, and Eduardo Dantas, called “the young devil” in the ring, are two of the undefeated fighter’s most promising students.

Follow the leader

Hacran Dias started fighting at the age of 18.

“I always tried to follow the path of Marlon, never went to the other side and always wanted to have the opportunity to train with Nova União,” says Dias, a Brazilian jiu-jitsu brown belt.

At first, Dias had to juggle his training with odd jobs.

“Sometimes, I wouldn’t eat lunch so that I could leave earlier and get to training in the afternoon -- I was sure of what I wanted for my life,” says Dias (11-0-1), who made his Japanese debut against Takafumi Ito in the Pancrase promotion on March 26.

Sandro’s other standout pupil, Dantas, is already internationally recognized. Born in Santo Amaro, Dantas started training jiu-jitsu when he was 13. Thanks to his innate talent for fighting, he was training MMA with Vitor “Shaolin” Ribeiro and the entire top team of Nova União by age 18.

That year, Dantas won his first fight against Luta Livre black belt William “Parrudinho” Porfirio and then defeated two other black belts. Only 19, Dantas is ranked No. 1 in Shooto Brazil and has even tasted victory in Japan’s Shooto organization.

“Today I live 100 percent for MMA,” says Dantas, who idolizes Wanderlei Silva. “Unfortunately, I’ve only fought two events this year; I would like our country to have more events like in the United States and Japan. I want to fight, and when I stop, I want to teach jiu-jitsu and MMA.”

Milk from the Ring

While many fighters divide their time between work and the training academy, Julian “Jabá” Soares supports his two children, Julian, 4, and Milena, 9, solely through his MMA earnings. It wasn’t always that way for the Barbosa-trained black belt.

A resident in the Babilônia favela in Copacabana, Jabá previously balanced his training at RFT with a job delivering newspapers.

“I woke up at midnight every day and worked up until 7 a.m. delivering newspapers; then I went straight to my cardio class at RFT, trained and went back home to take care of my children,” says Soares. “I just slept a little, from 7 p.m. until midnight.”

This strenuous routine, repeated Monday through Saturday, only increased Soares’ competitive determination. In fact, one day he took his children to one of his fights in the Rio das Pedras slum when he had no one else to care for them.

“Knowing that my children were there watching me increased my appetite to win,” says Jabá. “I came in the ring to kill or to die.”

Soares knocked out his opponent and then embraced his crying children in the center of the ring.

With the same calmness he exhibits in competition, Soares faced the war with drug dealers who brought terror to his community in June 2007.

“From 7 p.m. on, there were rifle shots all during the night, but the walls of my living room are very thick. We slept in the living room, and we stayed quiet until the noise ended,” he says.

When asked which fighter he most admires, Jabá named UFC veteran Rousimar “Toquinho” Palhares without hesitation.

“Not because of the belts won (Palhares won the Fury Fighting Championship’s middleweight title in 2007), but for his simplicity and the obstacles that he has overcome,” Soares says. “He is an example for us all. I’m sure that he will be champion.”

Soares, who has won eight fights between 170 and 176 pounds, will soon make his debut at 154.

Like Soares, Brazilian Top Team black belt William Porfirio also has two children for which to care.

“I work vigilantly for my tips as a taxi driver, because I can’t get the milk for the children with just MMA,” says Parrudinho, who lives in the favelas of dos Macacos, an area north of Rio de Janeiro.

The violence in Porfirio’s favela took the life of the teacher who’d introduced him to fighting.

“I started with him at 16 years old,” he says.

Shady Promoters

Anyone who saw Hollywood’s super-produced film “The Incredible Hulk” could get an idea of the dimensions of the Rocinha favela, the largest in Latin America with some 120,000 inhabitants. In the movie, Bruce Banner lived there while he was hiding out in Rio de Janeiro.

Only aerial images showed the real Rocinha, because the scenes of persecution in the film had to take place in another favela -- one of the few in Rio where the power of drug dealers is not so great. In Rocinha, as well as many of the 730 other favelas in Rio dominated by drug dealers, it has become increasingly difficult to hold an event that does not first have to meet the approval of the criminals. Still, MMA thrives.

Fascinated by vale tudo -- which attracts more practitioners in Rocinha every day -- the drug dealers decided to promote the Rocinha Fight event on Aug. 2. Before the event, media professionals were asked by one of the organizers not to take pictures of the VIP area under any circumstances. There, near the ring, sat the favela “owners.”

The show went off without incident. No gun-toting drug dealers were seen, but the event produced some questionable moments. After being knocked out, a local fighter received a “second chance” and eventually submitted his opponent with a guillotine choke.

The favela in Rio das Pedras may be one of the few not dominated by drug dealers, but the “militias” -- ex-policemen who charge residents a fee for blocking the entry of drug dealers -- promote their own MMA events. Eduardo Pachú was the great name behind two shows held there. Thanks to his impressive victories, he was catapulted into the Fury Fighting Championship lightweight tournament, which, in turn, could lead to international opportunities.

“I believe more events will emerge in Brazil, in the favelas and other places,” Pachu says. “We have many talented people but only a few events for them.”

With so many athletes living in communities, it seems only fair that more opportunities would come their way. However, events organized by militia and drug dealers carry a lot of baggage with them. Ultimately, the sport can only lose with such shady promotion.

Feb 7, 2006
B.J. Penn vs. Kenny Florian title fight official as UFC 101 headliner

The Ultimate Fighting Championship today officially announced the long-rumored title fight between lightweight champion B.J. Penn (13-5-1 MMA, 9-4-1 UFC) and top contender Kenny Florian (11-3 MMA, 9-2 UFC).

The bout headlines UFC 101, which takes place Aug. 8 at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia.

A previously announced light-heavyweight non-title fight between middleweight champ Anderson Silva (24-4 MMA, 9-0 UFC) and Forrest Griffin (16-5 MMA, 7-3 UFC) serves as the night's co-main event.

"B.J. Penn is called 'The Prodigy' for a reason," UFC President Dana White stated in today's announcement. "He has proven to be dangerous in multiple weight classes, but he is definitely at his best at 155. Now the lightweight champ defends his title against top contender Kenny Florian, who has improved by leaps and bounds since his UFC debut on 'The Ultimate Fighter.' Originally known for his outstanding jiu-jitsu skills, Florian is now as well known for his devastating Muay Thai. Both of these guys excel standing and on the ground, so I am expecting nonstop action in this world title fight."

Penn, who makes his first title defense in 14 months, returns to action for the first time since his fourth-round TKO loss to Georges St. Pierre in January. Penn's camp argued that St. Pierre's corner men "greased" him up with Vaseline during the welterweight title fight and severely hindered his jiu-jitsu skills. However, an April hearing with the Nevada State Athletic Commission resulted in no action, and the loss will likely stick on his record.

Penn will now make his first lightweight title defense since a May 2008 TKO win over Sean Sherk.

Florian, meanwhile, goes for his seventh straight win since losing a bid for the vacant title in 2006. Florian suffered a unanimous-decision loss to Sherk in the fight, but he's since posted six consecutive wins (all but one via stoppage) over the likes of Joe Lauzon, Roger Huerta and Joe Stevenson to emerge as the division's top contender.

Feb 7, 2006
Roger Gracie to Strikeforce?

Sports Illustrated pitbull terrier Josh Gross reports that Roger Gracie is close to signing a multi-fight contract with Strikeforce.

This is news worth repeating. Gracie is a heavyweight prospect with world-class grappling skills, a marketable name, and an unblemished record. (Granted, he’s only had two fights, but still.) Strikeforce’s interest means his talent won’t be squandered in a series of ridiculous, brain-bankrupt bouts in Japan, which had already started when he was matched against middleweight Yuki Kondo last year.

Robert Drysdale, who knows a little bit about jiu-jitsu, told the Fightworks Podcast last year that it isn’t just Gracie’s technical ability --which has won him countless world championships -- that should concern people.

“He is also incredibly strong. I don’t know if you guys saw this in the finals of 2007 but he ripped my gi. He just ripped my sleeve apart. That was a brand new gi that I had never worn before! That’s not normal! That’s not normal, I don’t care what people say. I have never seen that happen in my life. When he did that I was like, ‘Holy s---!’”

Solid endorsement. Scott Coker, CEO of Strikeforce, says his intention is for Gracie to cut his teeth in their Challengers series of feeder shows on Showtime.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 101 tickets for Aug. 8 event in Philadelphia on sale next week

Tickets for UFC 101, the organization's star-studded debut event in Pennsylvania, go on sale next week.

UFC 101 takes place Aug. 8 at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia and features UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn vs. top contender Kenny Florian and UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin (in a non-title fight).

Members of the UFC's fan club can purchase tickets May 21, and the general public can buy tickets May 23.

Members of the UFC Fight Club get first dibs on the tickets, priced from $50 to $600, at 10 a.m. ET (7 a.m. PT). (Annual UFC Fight Club memberships cost $74.99 and include a variety of perks.)

UFC.com newsletter subscribers (subscribe for free at UFC.com) can buy tickets starting May 22 at 10 a.m. ET.

Finally, the genera public can purchase tickets beginning May 23 at 10 a.m. ET.

Keep in mind, however, that the event is likely to be a quick sellout. The UFC has never ventured to Pennsylania, which only began regulating MMA events recently, and the UFC has never ventured to many nearby states. However, the region is a hotbed for MMA and has a strong fan following.

As a comparison, the highly anticipated UFC 100 event, was announced as an official sellout before tickets ever went on sale to the general public.

Tickets for UFC 101 are available online at www.ComcastTIX.com or UFC.com, by phone at 1-800-298-4200, or in person at the Wachovia Center Box Office or select ACME markets.

Feb 7, 2006
“Cro Cop” Out of Repair Shop, Eager to Fracture a Skull or Two

No doubt still upset over a monotone UFC stint in 2007, once-dreaded kickboxer Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic has announced via his website that he’s returned to semi-active duty following surgery to repair a dodgy knee. Apparently, delivering horrific beatings tends to stress the joints.

Filipovic is only 34: providing he stays healthy, that’s a generous amount of time to be an effective heavyweight fighter. And if he can’t mount another title run, there are some immensely entertaining fights with Gilbert Yvel, Ben Rothwell or Jose Canseco floating out there.

We’ve got weeks of Canseco material left, folks. Suck it up.

Feb 7, 2006
Mario Yamasaki tapped as referee for UFC 98 Evans-Machida main event

LAS VEGAS - Veteran MMA official Mario Yamasaki has been tapped as the referee for next month's UFC 98 title fight between UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans and top contender Lyoto Machida, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned.

The assignment was revealed during today's Nevada State Athletic Commission hearing at the Grant Sawyer State Office Building in Las Vegas.

UFC 98 takes place May 23 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, and Evans vs. Machida is the night's main event.

Neither fighters' camp challenged the appointment of Yamasaki. However, neither fighter sent a representative to the hearing or had one on the conference call for the meeting.

NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer traditionally allows main-event participants to challenge an appointment. The most recent high-profile example came in October when Brock Lesnar's representative asked that referee Steve Mazzagatti not be considered for the fighter's UFC 91 main-event bout with Randy Couture. (Lesnar was unhappy with Mazzagatti's officiating of a February 2008 fight with Frank Mir.)

Yamasaki, a longtime martial-arts instructor and a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt, has been an MMA referee for more than decade.

In addition to naming Yamasaki as the night's referee, the NSAC slotted Glenn Trowbridge, Roy Silbert and Adelaide Bird as the fight's official judges.

Feb 7, 2006
The Man with Two Souls

A rising star in his ethnic home of South Korea -- and at once a celebrated and reviled athlete in Japan -- Yoshihiro Akiyama represents by far the UFC’s greatest East Asian acquisition to date. Though reaction to his signing was subdued in the West, hearing he had opted to sign with the American mixed martial arts juggernaut -- instead of landing with Sengoku or K-1 -- was big news for fans in Japan in South Korea.

“I did consider fighting in Japan, but because of my age and the notion that the major leagues are in the US, I felt that the major leagues of MMA was the UFC,” Akiyama says. “No one can really go to the UFC just because they want to. The chances are very limited. I received the offer, and since it was my dream to fight on a larger stage, everything all came together at the right time, and I decided to go.”

As one of the best talents raised in Japanese MMA, Akiyama seems more than worthy to step into the Octagon. However, pundits view Akiyama’s ancestry and celebrity as an ethnic Korean as the keys to Zuffa’s plans, should the company expand into South Korea. Akiyama’s stardom in that country extends beyond combat sports and borders on that of a bona fide pop star.

Surprisingly, Akiyama does not believe his heritage alone will help the UFC grow in Korea. In fact, he expresses reservations with the idea and voices concern over the pervasive and trite overemphasis on national and ethnic identity.

“I think a lot of people tend to focus too much on nationality, and when they try to assert or put me into either category [Korean or Japanese], I’m saddened by it,” he says. “A lot of ‘Zainichi’ Koreans (ethnic Koreans living in Japan) feel the same way -- where they don’t know if they’re Korean or if they’re Japanese.”

Like many ethnic Koreans born, raised and living in Japan, Akiyama has dealt with the difficulties of fitting into two cultures, under constant scrutiny and with little room for foreign inclusivity; the consequences can be seen in his struggles in judo and MMA over the past eight years. Nevertheless -- unlike his harshest critics and detractors -- he harbors no bitterness; that allows him to reconcile and appreciate both identities.

“I often get this question from fans asking, ‘Which do you like better: Japan or Korea?’ Or if it’s a Korea versus Japan game, ‘Which side do you support?’” Akiyama says. “And it’s an extremely difficult question because it’s like asking, ‘Which parent do you like better, your mother or your father?’

“Nationality doesn’t really matter,” he adds. “I don’t necessarily think that being Korean is a big benefit for me in going to the UFC. I’m a Japanese citizen, but I also have Korean blood. I have love for both Japan and Korea. It’s flattering to me if Koreans support me as their fighter or [if] Japanese support me as their fighter.”

Coming to such conclusions has no doubt resulted in a storied life for Akiyama, both in and out of the media spotlight. Consequently, he has since chronicled these personal events and revelations in his recently released book, “Yoshihiro Akiyama: Two Souls.”

“My book came out on April 2, and in it are recollections of my life and how I felt about the things that happened,” Akiyama says. “A few topics I write about are my change of nationality, the problems I experienced in Korean judo, previous fights, my thoughts on relationships and my love life and my eventual decision to go to the UFC. It’s really a book on my personal feelings and commentary, current up until today.”

Belcher and Beyond

Akiyama (12-1, 2 NC) will debut against Alan Belcher at UFC 100 on July 11 in Las Vegas, two weeks shy of his 34th birthday. Heavyweight and welterweight title fights will headline the historic show.

“On the one hand, I’m trying not to think about it, because if I start to, I’ll suddenly realize how big of an event it is and become nervous,” he says. “I want to be myself, be natural when I debut. On the other hand, I do want to savor the moment.”

Akiyama expressed excitement over fighting in the cage and having the use of elbows at his disposal.

“It will be my first time fighting in the cage, but I’m training for it in order to make it feel like it won’t be,” he says. “Whether I can use them or not, I’m excited to try elbows because it’s new for me. It’ll be fun. Because the rules are different in the UFC, I’ve begun imagining them while in training.”

Akiyama will have little time to acclimate to Octagon novelties, as he will debut against Belcher (14-5), a fast-paced, confident Duke Roufus protégé. In an interview with MMAWeekly.com, Belcher said he wanted to welcome Akiyama to the UFC with a knockout.

“I believe he’s a good fighter with great striking skills. He’s probably very confident, which is likely why he said that,” Akiyama says. “While there may be a possibility that he can knock me out -- this is MMA, after all -- nobody knows beforehand what will really happen.”

In the same interview, Belcher also claimed he believed he would be bigger than Akiyama, since the K-1 veteran would have to “get off all that damn juice.” Surprisingly, Akiyama’s reaction to the accusation of steroid use was one of genuine mirth and gratitude.

“To be completely honest, for him to say that I’m doping actually makes me pretty happy,” Akiyama says, having taken several moments to collect his thoughts and recover from laughing. “As far back as two or three years ago, I’ve had friends in training ask me the same thing. I was never offended since I’ve never tried steroids, so when they asked if I did, I felt like it was because they thought my abilities and performances were too high. In a way, it feels like Belcher is showing me respect as a fighter, and I find it very flattering. If I had to say something in response, it’d be, ‘Thank you for your compliments and respect.’”

While he does not overlook Belcher, Akiyama has his sights set on an eventual title shot during his six-fight contract in the UFC.

“If I have a chance, I’d like to fight for the title,” he says. “It might not happen so easily, but, of course, it’s a goal. As for who I’d like to fight in the future, I recently heard that Wanderlei Silva dropped down to 185. I think in Japan and Korea that would be a big fight that fans would be excited to see, and it would likely help the UFC to become a little more popular here.”

Fashion Trendsetter

Aside from being an Asian pop star, master of style and solid middleweight talent, Akiyama also serves as an Internet meme to the online MMA community.

He was endearingly dubbed “Sexyama,” and Akiyama fandom has given rise to forum threads thousands of posts long, celebrating not only his competence as a top 185-pound fighter but his superb fashion sense. Naturally, the news comes as a surprise to Akiyama.

“It’s really my first time hearing about this,” Akiyama says. “Personally, it makes me happy that people are complimenting me like this, and I think it means that I’m becoming well-known and respected by the fans abroad. I think that regardless of whether it’s men or women saying so, to be called sexy by anyone is high praise.”

Those on the “Sexyama” bandwagon see Akiyama as the pinnacle of men’s fashion in the MMA industry. He began cultivating that trait at a young age.

“When I was a child, I learned that it was important for people to look their best,” he says. “Because I’m in the spotlight, in and out of the ring, it’s important that I put pressure on myself to be presentable. I want young people to look up to me and say, ‘He’s cool and has a good sense of style. I’d like to be like him.’ Of course, ability and skill are also crucial, but appearances really do matter.”

Belying the sharp images Akiyama cuts in various fashion magazines, his sense of style does not revolve around any particular designer or price range, as one might think. The secret lies not in name brands but simply in what he feels looks good.

“Whether it’s expensive or by a particular designer doesn’t really matter to me,” Akiyama says. “I like clothes, expensive or inexpensive. If it looks good, that’s what is most important. I often look at magazines, and while I don’t just lift fashions from them, I adopt and adapt according to my sense of color and style.”

Feb 7, 2006
Bellator's May 29 Week 9 event moved from Montreal to Louisiana

Bellator Fighting Championships' Week 9 event, originally scheduled to take place May 29 in Montreal, will instead by held in Louisiana.

The news comes from ringsidereport.net, and Fightlinker.com reports the move was due to issues with the Quebec Athletic Commission.

The event, which airs via 24-hour delay on ESPN Deportes, now takes place at Monroe Civic Center in Monroe.

Bellator officials did not immediately return MMAjunkie.com's request for confirmation.

The Quebec Athletic Commission also came under scrutiny earlier this year when the governing body claimed its current rules don't allow for MMA events. Only late negotiations between the commission and UFC officials kept UFC 97 from being moved from Montreal's Bell Centre to a Las Vegas venue.

According to the Fightlinker.com report, the commission (also known as Régie des Alcools, des Courses et des Jeux) had an issue with Bellator's cage.

The Monroe Civic Center is a 5,500-seat multi-purpose arena that is home to the Monroe Moccasins of the Western Professional Hockey League.

The event will be Bellator's first in the state of Louisiana.

Feb 7, 2006
Injury forces former champ Eddie Wineland out of WEC 41 prelim fight

A nagging injury to his right elbow has forced former WEC bantamweight champion Eddie Wineland (14-6-1) out of his scheduled WEC 41 bout with Frank Gomez (6-1).

The news comes from Matt Erickson of The Times of Northwest Indiana, which quoted Wineland as saying he's "pretty sure it's some kind of tendinitis" in the injured elbow.

"WEC 41: Brown vs. Faber II" takes place June 7 at ARCO Arena in Sacramento, Calif., and airs live on Versus.

The Wineland-Gomez bout was slated for the night's unaired preliminary card. As of Wednesday afternoon, the WEC had made no announcement about the injury, and the bout was still listed on WEC.tv.

However, with four weeks left until the event, WEC matchmaker Sean Shelby should have ample time to find a replacement.

Wineland and Gomez are both coming off recent losses. Wineland, who won the WEC belt in 2006 with a knockout of Antonio Banuelos at WEC 20, suffered a submission loss to Rani Yahya in April at WEC 40. Gomez, meanwhile, made his WEC debut in January and suffered his first career loss when he was submitted by Scott Jorgensen.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC Fight Night 19 could take place Sept. 16 in Oklahoma City

Planning is underway for the Ultimate Fighting Championship to host its next UFC Fight Night installment in September, likely in Oklahoma City.

The event, tentatively scheduled for Sept. 16, would apparently serve as a lead-in for the debut episode of "The Ultimate Fighter 10" on Spike TV.

Sources close to the event and the Oklahoma State Athletic Commission recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) of the tentative plans.

However, the UFC and Spike TV have made no formal announcements, and the event details are far from being set in stone.

If the event does take place, though, it'll mark the UFC's first trip to Oklahoma in nearly 15 years. The Sooner State has hosted just one UFC event to date. That show, UFC 4, took place in December 1994 at the Expo Square Pavilion in Tulsa. The event featured an eight-man open-weight tournament, which was won by eventual UFC hall-of-famer Royce Gracie.

UFC Fight Night 19 would also continue the UFC's recent trend of testing new markets with the UFC Fight Night event series. Although the Spike TV-televised shows were once relegated to venues in Las Vegas, the UFC has recently ventured to cities in Colorado, Nebraska, Florida and Tennessee for the event series.

Oklahoma City, the capital and largest city in Oklahoma, is home to approximately 550,000 residents. The city boasts a number of suitable venues, including the Ford Center (20,000 capacity), the Cox Convention Center (15,000 capacity) and Oklahoma State University's historic Gallagher-Iba Arena (14,000 capacity).

The UFC had reportedly considered hosting an UFC Fight Night 19 event in August. However, the plans may have been scrapped when traditional pay-per-view events were scheduled for Aug. 8 in Philadelphia and Aug. 29 in Portland, Ore.

Feb 7, 2006
Back in the big time, Strikeforce's Mike Aina looking for "war" on May 15

Strikeforce lightweight Mike Aina has been here before.

Just days away from his "Strikeforce Challengers" main-event bout with Billy Evangelista on Friday night in Fresno, Calif., Aina (11-6-1) is excited to be back on the national stage 18 months after his controversial first attempt.

"Obviously I'm very excited just to be back on the main stage, national TV on Showtime," Aina said in a recent media call. "Going to Billy's hometown, it's a little bit of mixed emotions. ... But once that cage closes, it doesn't matter. First punch is thrown and the fight just happens."

Aina first appeared on the national stage in a September 2007 bout with Nick Diaz under the EliteXC banner. The Hawaiian dropped a controversial split decision to Diaz in the Showtime-broadcast bout.

Aina admitted he'd love to revisit that bout with Diaz now that both are competing for Strikeforce, but the Rumble on the Rock, SuperBrawl and Spirit MC veteran says that wasn't the main reason he was looking forward to fighting for his new organization.

"Oh yeah, I'd love another shot at [Diaz]," Aina told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "But Showtime and Strikeforce, you really don't get any bigger than this.

"For us fighters, this is the spotlight. This is our dream. This is what we worked hard for throughout the years. We're on the main stage now, and I'm just going to take it all in and enjoy every moment of it."

Despite having 18 professional fights, Aina has fought just a handful of times outside of his native Hawaii. Aina admits he's not entirely thrilled for the trip.

"Traveling is not really my thing, really," Aina said. "You just have to take it in and take it for what it is.

"Is it going to be hindering my fight in any way? That's yet to be seen. But I've been training hard, and I'm ready mentally and physically. I think it's going to be a good fight."

Facing the undefeated Evangelista, Aina will enter Friday night's event as the underdog. But while Evangelista has developed a reputation as a potent striker, Aina feels he's ready for the challenge.

"I saw a few of [Evangelista's] fights online," Aina said. "He seems to be very strong, very explosive. His stand-up seems to be very sharp. He's a good Muay-Thai guy. Strong takedowns. But it's nothing I've never seen before.

"Whatever he brings, it's not going to be a surprise. I've been training for everything."

While Aina's record may not raise many eyebrows, his six losses – including against Diaz, Roger Huerta and Ryan Schultz – have all come by decision.

With Aina's fierce attitude echoing that of many Hawaiian brawlers, the potential for fireworks in Friday's main event is high.

"I'm looking forward to an all-out war with Billy," Aina said. "He's undefeated, and he's proven in my eyes from the tape I've seen on him he's very tough.

"I'm expecting nothing less than a war, and I think the fans are going to be happy with the outcome of the fight. Neither of us will back up. I'm hoping we'll just come forward and just throw gloves and see what happens."

And if Aina can hand Evangelista his first career defeat, it may be less than 18 months before he appears again on a Showtime broadcast.

"With this opportunity with Showtime coming up and being back on a national stage, I jumped on it right away," Aina said. "I know he doesn't watch tape on his opponents, but everyone deals with the fight in their own way. For me, I like to size up my opponents, come up with a gameplan, a strategy. But either way, the fight could turn at any time.

"I'm ready for anything."

Feb 7, 2006
Sean Sherk, Frank Edgar, Matt Serra clean in pre-UFC 98 drug tests

LAS VEGAS - UFC 98 main card competitors Sean Sherk, Frankie Edgar and Matt Serra have all passed pre-event drug test administered by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer confirmed the results with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) following today's NSAC hearing at the Grant Sawyer State Office Building in Las Vegas.

Kizer also indicated the commission was still waiting on the results of a sample from Matt Hughes.

All four athletes will compete on UFC 98's main card, which takes place May 23 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

While Sherk was part of a well-documented suspension by the California State Athletic Commission following his July 2007 UFC title defense victory over Hermes Franca, Kizer insisted his selection was done strictly on a random basis.

The NSAC also required a clean test from Sherk before his May 2008 loss to B.J. Penn at UFC 84.

"The last time we made him do a test because of the prior suspension," Kizer said. "This one, him and Edgar was just the fight we picked, just like Serra and Hughes."

Sherk and Hughes were also approved for the renewal of their NSAC licenses to compete in mixed martial arts as part of today's proceedings. Former NFL lineman and current MMA heavyweight Marcus Jones also received his NSAC license.

All three applications were quickly approved without debate, though Commissioner Pat Lundvall did question Sherk, who was present via telephone, on his interaction with the legal system in the years following a conviction for assault in 1994.

Sherk indicated he had not been involved in any further issues with the law since the incident.

UFC veteran Marvin Eastman was also on the day's agenda for license approval, but "The Beastman" neglected to send in an application prior to the meeting. Eastman will be eligible for approval at the NSAC's next meeting, which Kizer recommended the commission hold prior to June 13.

Feb 7, 2006
19 Questions for Tom Atencio

While the fight community awaits the announcement of Affliction’s next event, one of its vice presidents recently declared his intentions to step into the cage as a competitor. Tom Atencio, Affliction’s affable frontman, will fight in his second career bout against Randy Hedderick (1-0) at Fight Force and Prize Fight’s Ultimate Chaos on June 27 at the Mississippi Gulf Coast Coliseum in Biloxi, Miss.

Atencio shares the bill with a heavyweight contest between former WWE star Bobby Lashley and K-1 standout Bob Sapp. Sherdog.com had a few questions for the 42-year-old Atencio and his newest conquest.

Sherdog.com: What compelled you to take another fight right now?
Tom Atencio: I have no clue. I’ve been wanting to [fight] since I did the first time [Atencio fought and won for Total Combat in January 2005], not that I have time now, but everybody’s willing to let me make the time, so I figured better now than never.

Sherdog.com: Where are you training and what is the routine like?
Atencio: Here at the office. We built a 5,000-square-foot gym. Fortunately, my trainer, Tracy Hess from SubFighter, also works here and Chute Boxes’ Rafael Cordeiro also comes by. He’s just up the street. In the morning, I run or ride bike, then I come here, work a little bit, then train, then go home and run or ride bike again.

Sherdog.com: How are you finding the time to train for a fight and also get another Affliction event together?
Atencio: Good question. (Laughs.) I have a lot of help here. Tracy helps me. I got a lot of good people here. People are picking up the slack, for sure.

Sherdog.com: In terms of your position at Affliction Entertainment, do you think this move strengthens or weakens it in the eyes of the MMA community?
Atencio: To be honest, in the MMA world, I think it solidifies the fact that we’re not just… I don’t want to say wannabes, but not just… we’re in this industry for the fact that I love this industry. If I didn’t [love it], I wouldn’t be so passionate about it.

Sherdog.com: I’m going to play devil’s advocate. I’m going to be one of the people that might be asking, ‘Why are you spending all this extra time and energy training to fight, when you could be putting it into promoting the third Affliction show that everyone wants?’
Atencio: The third Affliction show is being put together right now, so I will give everybody what they want. It’s just one of those things that takes time. I always say this over and over and over again: This is only our third event. It’s not like we’ve done small events prior to our first one. It takes time to re-structure and figure everything out. Yeah, I understand the fans and people want us to continue, but when you’re new to it, you take your time because you want to get it right. You don’t want to make the same mistakes that I’ve made on the last two shows.

Sherdog.com: What mistakes did Affliction make in its first two events?
Atencio: The basics are going to be the music, for instance. It’s great. It was good for the live show, but it doesn’t translate well on television and the cost factor. On the back side, behind the scenes, making sure that the fighters are ready and cued up to do their entrances. Working with the athletic commission. The first show, the ambulance was 30 minutes late. That really screwed things up. Ten fights versus 11 fights –- whether we’re going continue with that is another story. There’s a lot of stuff I had no clue about.

Sherdog.com: You are portrayed as the frontman for Affliction, the one that makes it all go. Have any fighters voiced their concerns that your fighting right now might slow down them getting their contracted fights with Affliction? Have you had any opposition from the contracted fighters, many of which you are close with?
Atencio: No, I haven’t. Actually, it’s just the opposite. A lot of them are happy for me. It’s not like I’m fighting in my own event, so I’m not taking away a fight from anybody that fights for me. It’s actually just the opposite. I’ve been able to fortunately get some the fighters on this show as well. I think most of the guys know I’m fair and I try to do what I can for them. If they need to fight, I understand that we’re not putting on shows every four months or whatever it is. We don’t have a schedule as of right now. We should have a schedule after this [next] one. So, I try to be fair and if they need to take a fight somewhere else because they need money I completely understand that and I allow them. The only thing I ask is they talk to me and it doesn’t conflict with something we have going on.

Sherdog.com: Are these fights you are getting for some of Affliction’s fighters outside the organization satisfying their contracted fights with Affliction?
Atencio: No. It’s completely separate. Pride Fight and Fight Force International are completely separate. I’m just allowing these guys to fight so they can make some money.

Sherdog.com: Just to clarify, I thought a majority of the fighters Affliction had under contract are non-exclusive.
Atencio: Well, they’re exclusive in the U.S. They’re not exclusive for the world, like Japan, Canada and other countries.

Sherdog.com: I’ve also been told that you’re getting paid $20,000 to fight on June 27. I have to ask if that’s true since it’s a substantial purse for a fighter’s second fight.
Atencio: When it comes to money, I always treat it like business. I’m not a typical fighter, so I don’t talk about my finances. If it’s public knowledge, then you’re obviously going to know. It would be like you asking me how much I get paid at Affliction. I wouldn’t tell you. It’s just something I don’t feel comfortable discussing.

Sherdog.com: I’ve heard Affliction’s next event might be held on Aug. 1. Am I in the ballpark?
Atencio: We’re looking at July or August. I can’t confirm anything yet until… unfortunately I feel like I’m a politician now because I dodge questions and the only reason why is if I give definites and we don’t live up to them, I’m criticized. Until I have everything finalized, the contracts and the fighters finalized, everything in a row, I don’t announce anything. I’m hoping in the next couple of weeks, I’ll be able to make an announcement.

Sherdog.com: You stated a few months ago that Affliction was beating off prospective fighters with sticks. Have the steady rumors of the promotion’s pending demise stunted that at all?
Atencio: I constantly get fighters asking me, whether its new ones or veterans –- fighters want to work for us. My team, my whole crew, we’re just being methodical. We’re making sure we do it right, and one of the reasons I haven’t signed on new fighters is because we’re taking it slowly and I can’t completely accommodate all my fighters right now. It’s very difficult for me to bring back some of the fighters that lost and they don’t understand that –- which is, for me, understandable, but at the same time they need to understand that yes, if you win, there’s a good chance I can bring you back. It’s not a guarantee, but there’s a good chance.

Sherdog.com: But you must have contracts with fighters that are under time constraints, where they’re ensured a certain amount of fights within a certain time?
Atencio: Absolutely. That is just it and that’s another thing I’m up against. Nonetheless, we’re trying to make everybody happy. It’s a difficult situation, but I think the next show that we’ve learned and things are getting better. We’re here to continue and we’re here for the long haul.

Sherdog.com: Explain this challenge you’ve made to Dana White.
Atencio: I’ve said it multiple times. I would like to fight him. I’m not Tito Ortiz and I don’t think that fight was ever, ever going to go off. So, I just think I’m an everyday guy like him, hardworking, so we’re both promoters. I think if he’s willing to act like a fighter, why not fight? Sometimes he comes off as a tough guy, and I think it’s just time to either step up or, you know, quit being a bully.

Shedog.com: This is a bit of an about-face for you. In the past, you’ve --
Atencio: (Interrupts). No, it’s not so much. It’s not like I’m trying to… like I’m thinking I’m tough. There’s only so much you can put up with with somebody that bullies people around and that’s just kind of what it is. He’s the bully of the industry. He crushes people and he does what he wants, and I think a lot of people are afraid to speak up to him. Don’t get me wrong. I have respect for the guy -- what he’s done for the industry, and some people have said, ‘No, he hasn’t.’ I’ve been a fan since day one and him and the Fertittas, they took over and they changed this industry. They made it what it is today and I actually wouldn’t even be here, where I am, if not for them. But there needs to be competition and there needs to be room for other people, and it just gets to a point where… if he were going to fight Tito, why wouldn’t he fight me?

Sherdog.com: If you read between the lines, it seems something may have occurred between you and White between this interview and the last one you did with Sherdog.com. Did something happen?
Atencio: No, I’ve always wanted to challenge him. I think it would be good for both of us. You look at somebody and every other word is the f-word, or when he’s talking to people it’s, ‘Get off your ass and do it.’ I’m a huge fan of “The Ultimate Fighter,” but he comes off as a fighter and he’s not. If he’s gonna act like one, be one.

Sherdog.com: You’re fighting at a catch-weight of 160 pounds in your next fight. Doesn’t Dana White walk around somewhere over 200 pounds?
Atencio: Yeah. (Laughs.) I’d fight him. That’s what a fighter does –- at whatever weight he wants. I walk around at about 180 [pounds].

Sherdog.com: Has Dana White contacted you regarding this invitation?
Atencio: No, not that I know of. Like I said, I’m not trying to come off tough. I’m not trying to change my image, that I’ve always said I’ll try and be humble, but I think it’s come to a point Dana needs to understand what these guys really go through.

Sherdog.com: Do you care that some people might think this is just a publicity stunt, that Tom Atencio is looking for attention by calling out the top of the heap?
Atencio: You know, no matter what I do, I’ll always be criticized for it one way or another, so does it really matter? No, it doesn’t, because I’m also going to have people that are on my side.

Feb 7, 2006
AMERICAN TOP TEAM CAMP REPORT

The top athletes at American Top Team continue to grow and get big fights each and every day. From Thiago Alves taking his shot at Georges St. Pierre at UFC 100 for the UFC welterweight title, to Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante fighting Tatsuya Kawajiri in Dream later this month, the Florida based American Top Team produces some of the best talent in the mixed martial arts world.

Beyond the names already mentioned, the team also boasts a slew of talented fighters that will likely be hitting the main stage of the UFC, Strikeforce, or another organization very soon.

ATT'S YOUNG GUNS

Some of the great young talent will be on display over the next month, starting this Thursday night in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., as Yuri "The Fury" Villefort, younger brother of UFC welterweight Danillo Villefort, looks to start his career at 2-0 when he competes at "Extreme Fight Nights." Villefort currently competes at 170 pounds, but will look to make his big move at 155 pounds down the road.

Along with Villefort, fellow teammate and pro Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu coach Marcos Da Matta leads the way in the main event for the show looking to build on his already impressive 5-0 record. Also on the card will be Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt and Mundial champion Jonatas "Tagarela" Gurgel, who fights Thursday and again on May 24 in Mississippi.

FIORAVANTI HEADS TO ITALY

Former UFC welterweight Luigi Fioravanti will look to rebound from a tough loss in February to Anthony Johnson, when he heads overseas to Rome, Italy, to headline a card in June.

Fioravanti hopes to build back to another shot at the UFC, or possibly another major organization, and the fight in Italy will be the first step. Also traveling to Italy from American Top Team will be former Hofstra wrestler turned MMA fighter Rich Attonito, who will compete in a 185-pound fight on the same card.

PITTSBURGH WELCOMES MMA AND ATT

The state of Pennsylvania ratified the rules and regulations for MMA earlier this year, and promotions are wasting no time making their way to the Keystone state. While the UFC will head to Philadelphia in August, Ultimate Cage Fighting Championship will let the Steel City of Pittsburgh play host to its June 27 show at Mellon Arena.

The card will feature a main event pitting former UFC, EliteXC and Pride fighter Yves Edwards in a fight against former WEC welterweight Kyle Jensen.

Former UFC fighter Steve Bruno makes his return to action on the card as well against Dustin Winterholt, while Micah Miller will also appear on the show against an as of yet unnamed opponent.

The only thing that could cause some stress for fighters on the show is the current stipulation that everybody will have same-day weigh-ins for the event.

MASVIDAL BACK IN BELLATOR

Following a loss in one of the craziest submissions ever seen in MMA, Jorge "Gamebred" Masvidal will look to bounce back on May 19 for the Bellator Fighting Championships when he faces Eric Reynolds in a lightweight contest.

Masvidal was a heavy favorite to fight in the finals of the 155-pound tournament, but because of the upset loss to Toby Imada, he will look to exact revenge against his next opponent instead.

Reynolds steps into the fight after suffering a defeat at the hands of top five lightweight Eddie Alvarez, which put him out of the lightweight tournament as well.

MONSON WORLD TOUR

Known as one of the busiest fighters in all of MMA, Jeff Monson will return to action on June 6 in Aruba at the Vengeance Fighting Championships against Chase Gormley. The former UFC heavyweight made quick work of Russian Sergei Kharitonov, for his last fight while in Dream. Ever the opportunist, he will stay active in June as well.

Currently, Monson doesn't have any other fights on the docket, but as the representatives of American Top Team will say, he could be anywhere at any time for his next fight.

Feb 7, 2006
FIGHTER AT HEART, NATE DIAZ LEARNING THE GAME

The Diaz brothers, Nate and Nick, share the same hatred for anything that dilutes fighting. The very idea of MMA as a sport riles them. They wish for the old days.

“I wish these fights were unlimited time, like 30-minute fights or 10-minute rounds,” Nate told MMAWeekly.com.

The younger Diaz still has a sour taste in his mouth from a decision loss to Clay Guida at UFC 94. Not towards Guida, but toward the points game that defined the fight.

“Clay Guida’s a good dude,” said Diaz. “He comes to fight and everything. I just don’t feel like I lost to him, personally. It just sucks that he gets to say he beat me.”

His irritation is milder than Nick, who rails against an emerging culture of so-called “tennis players” in MMA who speak well and fight for winning scorecards. Nate is still in the UFC; it doesn’t behoove him to yell at officials or throw water bottles. He must adapt.

In the cage, that means he has to be more conservative than he’d like.

“I even lose because of that, because I’m here trying to finish and hurt people,” continued Diaz. “Because it’s a fight, right? But now it’s more of a sport. I mean it’s always been a sport, but it’s more about points. You gottta get used to it.”

Since Guida, he's worked tirelessly with training partners Jake Shields, Gilbert Melendez, and brother Nick at Cesar Gracie Academy. There’s been no time off; someone always is in camp. If he misses a day, he hears about it soon.

“I’m never not showing up, because there’s 10, 15 other guys that will be calling my phone,” he said. “Jake, Gilbert, Nick... they’re going to be calling my phone if I’m not there. Cesar’s on my case. Even when I’m training hard, he’s calling me every day, making sure I’m doing stuff.”

In the gym, he trains to inflict damage at all times and keep in control of the fight. In a division filled with strong wrestlers trained to counteract his stand-up and jiu-jitsu, avoiding the takedown is crucial.

“Sometimes I’m too busy trying to finish, kill 'em, put a beatdown on them, and I get taken down when I’m trying to rip people’s heads off,” he explained. “You’ve gotta be careful, you have to make sure you’re scoring points, staying ahead, and you’ve only got 15 minutes.”

Despite the loss, Diaz has already been spoken of in the company of 155-pound contenders, and a serious threat a few years down the line. The 24-year-old lost little stock with the setback; his next foe, Joe Stevenson, is a former title contender who’s fighting for relevancy.

Diaz thinks their styles are more similar than most might think.

“He does the same type of thing as me, a totally different body style, so it might look different,” he said. “But he strikes with people... he’s really well rounded. It’s going to be a tough fight. He’s one of the top guys in this weight division. I don’t want no slouches. I’m ready to put that ass whuppin' down.”

He says it’s only a matter of time before he cracks the top five in the division. Only his youth is holding him back.

“Most of the time, these Top 10 guys are not Top 10 guys,” he said. “But they’ve done it, they’ve been fighting. I see what they do and I know what I’m capable of.”

Feb 7, 2006
A grappler’s quest: An MMAmania.com interview exclusive with Jake Shields

Eight months is a long time to wait. Especially for a fighter who is more than anxious to prove he belongs alongside the elite welterweights in the world.

Yet that’s exactly how long it has been since Jake Shields successfully defended his Elite XC welterweight title against Paul “Semtex” Daley at Elite XC: “Heat” way back in October 2008.

Needless to say, a lot of events have transpired in between.

EliteXC announced shortly thereafter it would cease operations. Then in February 2009, Strikeforce stepped up to purchase the remaining Pro Elite assets, including the contract of Shields and many others.

For his first Strikeforce fight, Shields was scheduled to do battle against Joe Riggs at the “Shamrock vs. Diaz” event on April 11, but instead opted for a step up in competition (and in weight), much to the dismay of “Diesel.”

Shields’ new and improved adversary?

Another former EliteXC champion in “Ruthless” Robbie Lawler, who once laid claim to the 185-pound crown.

The result is a headlining fight at a catchweight of 182 pounds — and a classic “striker vs. grappler” matchup that’s sure to produce fireworks.

We caught up with the grappling phenom in between training sessions to share his thoughts on Elite XC, how close he came to signing with the UFC, facing Robbie Lawler and his uncertain future in the fight game.

Check it out:

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): I understand you started your MMA career at Chuck Liddell’s SLO Kickboxing Academy in 1999. Did you know Chuck prior to going there or did you meet him at the gym?

Jake Shields: I knew who he was. He wasn’t really known to the world back then but he was known around town. I didn’t actually personally know him. I’d see him around town and he had a rep as the town tough guy, but I didn’t actually get a chance to meet him until I went to the gym.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): What were those first few weeks and months of MMA training like for you and what comes to mind when you look back at your experience there?

Jake Shields: It was awesome for me. I was just a young kid. I was like 20 or 21 and just went in there. I was watching old UFC’s and then getting to go in there with Chuck. I mean Chuck wasn’t news back then but he still just knew a ton. It was just the wealth of knowledge between the stand up and the submission fighting. It was an awesome experience.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): I want to jump forward to the end of your EliteXC tenure. The news comes out that they were ceasing operations. At that point everything was in limbo. What was that uncertainly like for you, not knowing what organization you were going to fight for or when your next fight would be?

Jake Shields: It sucked definitely not really knowing what was going on. It’s never fun. There’s nothing you can do about it. I just tried to look at the positive side. I could open my gym. I concentrated my energy into that. I just took time to get my gym running good. I kept training, kept working on new skills, and now I’m just happy it finally got resolved with Strikeforce and I’m excited to be back in the cage.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): It took a good three to four months between that point and the announced purchase of the remaining assets by Strikeforce. In that time I’m assuming you and your management explored all avenues. Was joining the UFC one of the things you looked into?

Jake Shields: That was definitely my number one option. We were just trying to get the contract cleared. We were very ready to go to the UFC. At my weight that is where the top competition is. I was pushing really hard to go to the UFC. I already hired a lawyer. We had a lawsuit all ready to file.

Then Scott Coker bought it and I have a good relationship with Scott Coker. I sat down and had a good meeting with him and decided I would honor my contract with Strikeforce.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Is it safe to say you would be in the UFC today if Strikeforce didn’t come in and purchase your contract?

Jake Shields: Oh yeah, definitely. That was definitely my plan. If someone would have bought the contract I didn’t like we probably would have gone ahead with the lawsuit. Since I get along quite well with Scott Coker and he’s doing a great job I figured I’d fight for him.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Now it will be roughly eight months between your last fight against Paul Daley and your upcoming Strikeforce fight with Robbie Lawler. How bad have you been chomping at the bit to get back to competing on that stage?

Jake Shields: Bad. I just feel like I’m right in my prime right now. I want to be out doing big fights. I feel like in your prime you only have a certain amount of time, so I don’t want to be taking too much time off.

I want to get to the top and I’m trying to get back in there. I’m really excited they gave me Robbie because I think he’s a guy that really lets me test myself.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): How has training camp been going? What is a typical day like for you?

Jake Shields: It’s going really good right now. I mix it up a little bit, but pretty busy. For example, I just got done sparring a bunch of rounds and hit mitts.

Now I’m going in for my lifting training. I’m trying to put on a little weight for this fight so I’ve been doing a little more lifting than usual.

After that I’ll head to jiu-jitsu practice. It’s going to be a good workout today between sparring, grappling, pad work, lifting, and running. It’s quite a bit of training.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): With regards to Robbie, we know he has great hands and likes to go toe-to-toe with guys and turn his fights into stand up battles. How do you plan on attacking him and what are some of his weaknesses you want to hone in on?

Jake Shields: I don’t put big game plans together, but obviously I’m more the grappler and he’s more the striker, so at some point I would like to get this to the mat. I don’t want to go out there too fast, but get out there, speed things up a little bit, and see where it goes. Hopefully put him on his back.

His biggest weakness is fighting off his back. His strength is the stand up and I think he’s got a solid top game as well. Obviously, if I want to work at his weakness I can put him on his back and try to submit him.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): If you could pass along a message to Robbie about what he needs to be prepared for on June 6 what would that be?

Jake Shields: I think Robbie is going to be prepared so there’s nothing really to know. He knows what he’s up against. He’s going to do everything in his power to get ready for me and I’m going to do everything in mine. I think we’re both going to show up ready and I’ll be really surprised if Robbie doesn’t show up ready to fight.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): What I really want to know is do you think Robbie is going to have the same fate as the kid you fought on MTV’s Bully Beatdown?

Jake Shields: (Laughs) Certainly not. Robbie’s a top five middleweight. It’s not going to be an easy fight like that. I think I’ll go out there and be able to stand my turf. I wouldn’t take the fight if I didn’t think I could win. I don’t think it’ll be that easy of a fight though.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Looking further into the future, is it safe to say you could be at the 185-pound limit for a while because there are more quality opponents there?

Jake Shields: It’s definitely a possibility. At this point I’m just worried about getting through Robbie and see how I feel, if I feel strong enough at this weight or not. If I do get through Robbie and do feel strong then maybe I’ll stay here for a few fights.

I think overall 170 is my best weight though. That’s where I want to spend most of my career. If it’s a good move to get the big fights I’m willing to stay up.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): It’s a fact that the majority of the best welterweights in the world are in the UFC. Who out of that group would you like to challenge yourself against?

Jake Shields: There are a lot of guys I’d like to fight. They have a really stacked division. If I could pick one it would have to be GSP (Georges St. Pierre). He’s been the standout in the UFC right now and I think it would be awesome to get a chance to get in there and fight him.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Is there any doubt in your mind you could step into the UFC and be a title contender from day one?

Jake Shields: There’s no doubt in my mind I’d be in there with the top. You never know what’s going to happen when you get there and fight but I know for sure I could go in there and compete with the best.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): If you don’t mind me asking, what’s your current contract status? When does that expire? Is it by year or by fight?

Jake Shields: There is time and fights on it. I don’t deal with that. Any contract coming in my manager deals with that. Things were shifted around a bit with the buying out and renegotiation so I don’t know exactly what’s on there, but I think it’s somewhere around a year.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Is coming to the UFC still realistic sometime in the future or is it completely out of the realm of possibility?

Jake Shields: At this point I just want to fight for Strikeforce and get these fights done and see how things go. I’m really happy with Strikeforce so I don’t want to be like, “Oh, I’m going to run to the UFC.”

I’ve been a huge fan of the UFC for years and I really do want to go out there and fight the best at my weight, so it puts me in a tough situation. For now, I think I’m just going to worry about getting through my contract and then reevaluating the situation and take it from there.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Is it safe to say you are going to try to fight again before the end of the year? It won’t be another eight month gap will it?

Jake Shields: Man I sure hope not. I would really like to get a few fights in. I’d really like to fight right now. As long as the Lawler fight goes good and I’m not hurt at all I’d like to fight again in the show in August. I would love to jump right back on that one.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Well Jake that’s all I had for you. Is there anything you would like to pass along to your fans out there or any sponsors you would like to thank?

Jake Shields: Just thanks for the support. Be sure to watch June 6. I’m sure it’s going to be a good fight. Be sure to tune into Showtime.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Thanks again. I appreciate the time. We’ll do it again in the future. Best of luck to you in a few weeks.

Jake Shields: Awesome man. Thank you.

Feb 7, 2006
A grappler’s quest: An MMAmania.com interview exclusive with Jake Shields

Eight months is a long time to wait. Especially for a fighter who is more than anxious to prove he belongs alongside the elite welterweights in the world.

Yet that’s exactly how long it has been since Jake Shields successfully defended his Elite XC welterweight title against Paul “Semtex” Daley at Elite XC: “Heat” way back in October 2008.

Needless to say, a lot of events have transpired in between.

EliteXC announced shortly thereafter it would cease operations. Then in February 2009, Strikeforce stepped up to purchase the remaining Pro Elite assets, including the contract of Shields and many others.

For his first Strikeforce fight, Shields was scheduled to do battle against Joe Riggs at the “Shamrock vs. Diaz” event on April 11, but instead opted for a step up in competition (and in weight), much to the dismay of “Diesel.”

Shields’ new and improved adversary?

Another former EliteXC champion in “Ruthless” Robbie Lawler, who once laid claim to the 185-pound crown.

The result is a headlining fight at a catchweight of 182 pounds — and a classic “striker vs. grappler” matchup that’s sure to produce fireworks.

We caught up with the grappling phenom in between training sessions to share his thoughts on Elite XC, how close he came to signing with the UFC, facing Robbie Lawler and his uncertain future in the fight game.

Check it out:

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): I understand you started your MMA career at Chuck Liddell’s SLO Kickboxing Academy in 1999. Did you know Chuck prior to going there or did you meet him at the gym?

Jake Shields: I knew who he was. He wasn’t really known to the world back then but he was known around town. I didn’t actually personally know him. I’d see him around town and he had a rep as the town tough guy, but I didn’t actually get a chance to meet him until I went to the gym.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): What were those first few weeks and months of MMA training like for you and what comes to mind when you look back at your experience there?

Jake Shields: It was awesome for me. I was just a young kid. I was like 20 or 21 and just went in there. I was watching old UFC’s and then getting to go in there with Chuck. I mean Chuck wasn’t news back then but he still just knew a ton. It was just the wealth of knowledge between the stand up and the submission fighting. It was an awesome experience.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): I want to jump forward to the end of your EliteXC tenure. The news comes out that they were ceasing operations. At that point everything was in limbo. What was that uncertainly like for you, not knowing what organization you were going to fight for or when your next fight would be?

Jake Shields: It sucked definitely not really knowing what was going on. It’s never fun. There’s nothing you can do about it. I just tried to look at the positive side. I could open my gym. I concentrated my energy into that. I just took time to get my gym running good. I kept training, kept working on new skills, and now I’m just happy it finally got resolved with Strikeforce and I’m excited to be back in the cage.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): It took a good three to four months between that point and the announced purchase of the remaining assets by Strikeforce. In that time I’m assuming you and your management explored all avenues. Was joining the UFC one of the things you looked into?

Jake Shields: That was definitely my number one option. We were just trying to get the contract cleared. We were very ready to go to the UFC. At my weight that is where the top competition is. I was pushing really hard to go to the UFC. I already hired a lawyer. We had a lawsuit all ready to file.

Then Scott Coker bought it and I have a good relationship with Scott Coker. I sat down and had a good meeting with him and decided I would honor my contract with Strikeforce.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Is it safe to say you would be in the UFC today if Strikeforce didn’t come in and purchase your contract?

Jake Shields: Oh yeah, definitely. That was definitely my plan. If someone would have bought the contract I didn’t like we probably would have gone ahead with the lawsuit. Since I get along quite well with Scott Coker and he’s doing a great job I figured I’d fight for him.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Now it will be roughly eight months between your last fight against Paul Daley and your upcoming Strikeforce fight with Robbie Lawler. How bad have you been chomping at the bit to get back to competing on that stage?

Jake Shields: Bad. I just feel like I’m right in my prime right now. I want to be out doing big fights. I feel like in your prime you only have a certain amount of time, so I don’t want to be taking too much time off.

I want to get to the top and I’m trying to get back in there. I’m really excited they gave me Robbie because I think he’s a guy that really lets me test myself.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): How has training camp been going? What is a typical day like for you?

Jake Shields: It’s going really good right now. I mix it up a little bit, but pretty busy. For example, I just got done sparring a bunch of rounds and hit mitts.

Now I’m going in for my lifting training. I’m trying to put on a little weight for this fight so I’ve been doing a little more lifting than usual.

After that I’ll head to jiu-jitsu practice. It’s going to be a good workout today between sparring, grappling, pad work, lifting, and running. It’s quite a bit of training.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): With regards to Robbie, we know he has great hands and likes to go toe-to-toe with guys and turn his fights into stand up battles. How do you plan on attacking him and what are some of his weaknesses you want to hone in on?

Jake Shields: I don’t put big game plans together, but obviously I’m more the grappler and he’s more the striker, so at some point I would like to get this to the mat. I don’t want to go out there too fast, but get out there, speed things up a little bit, and see where it goes. Hopefully put him on his back.

His biggest weakness is fighting off his back. His strength is the stand up and I think he’s got a solid top game as well. Obviously, if I want to work at his weakness I can put him on his back and try to submit him.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): If you could pass along a message to Robbie about what he needs to be prepared for on June 6 what would that be?

Jake Shields: I think Robbie is going to be prepared so there’s nothing really to know. He knows what he’s up against. He’s going to do everything in his power to get ready for me and I’m going to do everything in mine. I think we’re both going to show up ready and I’ll be really surprised if Robbie doesn’t show up ready to fight.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): What I really want to know is do you think Robbie is going to have the same fate as the kid you fought on MTV’s Bully Beatdown?

Jake Shields: (Laughs) Certainly not. Robbie’s a top five middleweight. It’s not going to be an easy fight like that. I think I’ll go out there and be able to stand my turf. I wouldn’t take the fight if I didn’t think I could win. I don’t think it’ll be that easy of a fight though.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Looking further into the future, is it safe to say you could be at the 185-pound limit for a while because there are more quality opponents there?

Jake Shields: It’s definitely a possibility. At this point I’m just worried about getting through Robbie and see how I feel, if I feel strong enough at this weight or not. If I do get through Robbie and do feel strong then maybe I’ll stay here for a few fights.

I think overall 170 is my best weight though. That’s where I want to spend most of my career. If it’s a good move to get the big fights I’m willing to stay up.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): It’s a fact that the majority of the best welterweights in the world are in the UFC. Who out of that group would you like to challenge yourself against?

Jake Shields: There are a lot of guys I’d like to fight. They have a really stacked division. If I could pick one it would have to be GSP (Georges St. Pierre). He’s been the standout in the UFC right now and I think it would be awesome to get a chance to get in there and fight him.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Is there any doubt in your mind you could step into the UFC and be a title contender from day one?

Jake Shields: There’s no doubt in my mind I’d be in there with the top. You never know what’s going to happen when you get there and fight but I know for sure I could go in there and compete with the best.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): If you don’t mind me asking, what’s your current contract status? When does that expire? Is it by year or by fight?

Jake Shields: There is time and fights on it. I don’t deal with that. Any contract coming in my manager deals with that. Things were shifted around a bit with the buying out and renegotiation so I don’t know exactly what’s on there, but I think it’s somewhere around a year.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Is coming to the UFC still realistic sometime in the future or is it completely out of the realm of possibility?

Jake Shields: At this point I just want to fight for Strikeforce and get these fights done and see how things go. I’m really happy with Strikeforce so I don’t want to be like, “Oh, I’m going to run to the UFC.”

I’ve been a huge fan of the UFC for years and I really do want to go out there and fight the best at my weight, so it puts me in a tough situation. For now, I think I’m just going to worry about getting through my contract and then reevaluating the situation and take it from there.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Is it safe to say you are going to try to fight again before the end of the year? It won’t be another eight month gap will it?

Jake Shields: Man I sure hope not. I would really like to get a few fights in. I’d really like to fight right now. As long as the Lawler fight goes good and I’m not hurt at all I’d like to fight again in the show in August. I would love to jump right back on that one.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Well Jake that’s all I had for you. Is there anything you would like to pass along to your fans out there or any sponsors you would like to thank?

Jake Shields: Just thanks for the support. Be sure to watch June 6. I’m sure it’s going to be a good fight. Be sure to tune into Showtime.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Thanks again. I appreciate the time. We’ll do it again in the future. Best of luck to you in a few weeks.

Jake Shields: Awesome man. Thank you.

Feb 7, 2006
Pat Miletich: ‘Dana has never told me anything that ended up being the truth’

It’s been quite some time since Pat Miletich and Dana White were friends and business associates. If one was to trace the divide between the two back to it’s origin they would find that the split was cemented with Miletich’s decision to become part of the International Fight League that has since gone under.

On last night’s episode of ESPN’s E:60, the founder of Miletich Fighting Systems made his current feelings about the UFC president quite clear.

“He’s done a lot of great things for the sport, without a doubt,” the UFC veteran was quoted as saying. “I just have seen the wreckage around him a lot.

“Dana has never told me anything that ended up being the truth, besides the fact that his intention was to crush other people’s lives and businesses.”

The recent statement made by Miletich shouldn’t come as a shock to anyone familiar with the past court case between the UFC and the IFL.

Below are some excerpts from Pat Miletich’s sworn statement given in the case held during 2006, according to public records.

8. In or around late Januray 2006, I recieved a call from Mr. White. During the conversation, Mr. White stated that he respected me both as a trainer and fighter, but then proceeded to express in a rather irate manner his feelings about the IFL and abruptly stated that “he was going to fucking crush these [the IFL] guys”. Mr. White further made it clear to me that he was livid about losing Keith Evans to the IFL.

9. During this conversation I expressed to Mr. White my opinion (based on numerous conversations with individuals in the MMA industry) that a lot of people involved in MMA industry didn’t very much care for him or the way Zuffa conducted its business and treated the individuals who fought at UFC events. In response, Mr. White stated that it “wasn’t his fucking job to be liked”. Mr. White further told me that he had spoken with the Fertittas (who own Zuffa), and they had given their “permission” to go after the IFL.

10. Mr. White further threatened me during the conversation, and implicitly the livelihoods of the fighters I train, stating that “when the dust settles, anyone associated with the IFL would not be associated with the UFC”. I took this for what it was — a threat to me and to my fighters who count on me to represent them and obtain opportunities to for them to fight in the MMA industry. Because of the virtual monopoly that Zuffa has in the MMA industry, Mr. White clearly knew that cutting me and my fighters off from the UFC would have a devastating economic impact.

11. Mr. White further told me during this conversation that he had been on the phone all day calling everyone he dealt with in the MMA industry and told me that, after speaking with all of them, none would be doing business with the IFL. My understanding from his comment was that he had made the same threats to everyone else he knew in the MMA industry that he had just made to me during our conversation. I attempted to tell Mr. White to calm down and tried to be rational with him. I expressed to Mr. White my opinion that the IFL was going to help the MMA industry and ultimately would increase the UFC’s presence throughout the world. I further attempted to dissuade Mr. White from doing anything irrational with respect to the IFL (i.e., the lawsuit) and told him that I felt going after the IFL for no reason would be very bad for the entire MMA industry. Clearly, Mr. White could care less what I thought.

12. Following my conversation with Mr. White, Ken Shamrock, another world-renowned MMA fighter, called me and told me that Mr. White had just “raised hell” with him about his being associated with the IFL. As I understand it, Mr. White had made similar threats to Mr. Shamrock whom I believe at the time had an agreement with the IFL to coach one of its teams. I further understand that Mr. White made the same or similar threats to Randy Couture, perhaps one of the most legendary MMA fighters in the world and a former UFC World Champion. I further understand that Mr. White called a current UFC World Champion, Matt Hughes, to inquire of him whether he had any involvement in the IFL.

13. Knowing Mr. White the way I do, I can honestly say that Zuffa’s intent is bringing this litigation has nothing to do with protecting any confidential information. Rather, I believe this litigation is about one thing and one thing only — stamping out legitimate and, indeed, healthy, competition.