MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
JOSH KOSCHECK: "I'M GOING TO TRY AND TAKE HIS HEAD OFF!"
link:http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content4295.html?PHPSESSID=fa7901ffbb4026ea2fcea9800e3f52bb
"I'm going to be aggressive, I'm coming forward and I'm coming to fight! That's for sure! It's going to be his first fight in the UFC and he's probably been watching me fight for the last 5 years on TV so he's probably going to be a little star struck from fighting in the UFC and I'm going to use that to my advantage. I'm coming forward and I'm going to try and take his head off," stated UFC welterweight contender Josh Koscheck as he talked about his upcoming clash with Paulo Thiago at UFC 95. Check out what else he had to say about Thiago, Karo Parisyan, Georges St. Pierre, Diego Sanchez and more.

Feb 7, 2006
RYAN COUTURE: "I STILL HAVE TO GET IN THERE AND FIGHT"
link: http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content4297.html
"I'm getting a big kick out of the attention it has garnered, but at the end of the day, I still have to get in there and fight and I'm doing this because I want to. It's got nothing to do with who he is or I feel like I need to follow in his footsteps or any of that. I think I would be crazy to expect to accomplish some of the things that he's done. It's just something I'm doing because I really enjoy it and I have a passion for it," stated Ryan Couture, son of former UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture, as he talked about his desire to fight as he prepares for his next amateur fight this Sunday against Art Martinez. Check out what he had to say about the fight, his future plans and much more.

Feb 7, 2006
Middleweight Mousasi To Take Heavyweight Leap
videolink: http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/middleweight-mousasi-to-take-heavyweight-leap-16215
Gegard Mousasi strolls into the Artemis Hotel in Amsterdam, Netherlands, sporting a simple blue zip-up jacket, a matching baseball cap and two black eyes.

You would think that the Dream middleweight champion would have an entourage surrounding him like most champions do these days, but the lanky 6-foot-1 fighter is alone.

He sits down on the lobby’s lipstick red couch with a slightly anxious gaze. Unassuming and a tad shy, Mousasi isn’t what one would expect from a guy who made the majority of last year’s “Fighter of the Year” lists. It’s almost as if he doesn’t know how gifted he is at what he does in the ring.

That doesn’t mean Mousasi isn’t confident, though. As he explains in a calm and steady voice, he has no fear when he fights.

“I feel always that I’m physically stronger than my opponents. I feel like my opponents can’t hurt me because I’m always comfortable in stand-up and there hasn’t been a fighter that’s ground-and-pounded me,” he says. “I feel like I can hurt them, but they can’t hurt me.”

Mousasi got a taste of his potential early on.

The youngest of three children, Mousasi was born in Iran to Armenian parents, who later fled the war-torn nation for a “better life” in Holland.

Mousasi’s father, now a retired mechanic, enrolled his son in judo classes when he was 9 years old. Weightlifting followed, then boxing by the age of 15. Accumulating a few amateur titles and “a lot of knockouts,” Mousasi expanded into kickboxing and then discovered the ground game. By age 19, he started to make money competing in MMA.

“I started to believe in myself. My trainers gave me confidence, and I knew I hit hard,” says Mousasi. “I knew I could fight, so why not?”

His first professional fight came in April 2003 with Holland’s leading promotion, 2 Hot 2 Handle, where the young talent caught the eye of M-1 Global’s Apy Echteld, who still manages him today.

Still only 23 years old, Mousasi has amassed an impressive track record in just under six years without the muscle of any “big name” school or trainers behind him. In his 27 fights, he’s lost only two times, both by armbars to Petras Morkevicius in 2005 and Japanese showman Akihiro Gono in 2006. He made his Pride Bushido debut in 2006 and fought three times for the now-defunct promotion.

But Mousasi really jumped onto the radar in 2008, when he submitted favorite Denis Kang with a triangle choke in the opening round of Dream’s middleweight grand prix. The slick Armenian took out hard-nosed Korean Dong Sik Yoon, hard-hitting Dutchman Melvin Manhoef and the hard-to-catch Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza in quick succession, with what looked like the greatest of ease.

“I think Yoon Dong Sik was probably the toughest fight because it went to the decision,” says Mousasi of the whirlwind run. “The other fights I didn’t go to the extreme. He didn’t give up. I was punching at his head for five minutes. The other fights could have also been very tough fights, but they ended all in two, three minutes.”

If that were not enough to sway the undecided, Dream matched up the Armenian against four-time K-1 Japan kickboxing champion Musashi on New Year’s Eve in a stand-up-only affair. Mousasi bested the kickboxer at his own game in 2:32.

“After the first right that I hit him with, I thought that I needed to finish him now,” he says. “I knew I hurt him, and it all went automatic[ally].”

The victories secured Mousasi a place among the very few that sit atop the middleweight ranks, though he believes his days at 185 pounds are now behind him.

The decision to move up in divisions was made out of necessity, he says.

“After the tournament, I took a break for 10 days to see my family in Armenia,” says Mousasi. “I decided, ‘Let’s put on some weight.’ I just start eating and I didn’t train, and after that, I was 96, 97 kilos [216 pounds]. I gave my body a little bit [of] rest, and my body grow because of my age. I didn’t let my body grow and now it grows naturally. I need to go up.”

The growth spurt probably hasn’t thrilled Dream executives, who had just crowned their first-ever middleweight king and a good one at that, but Mousasi says a weight cut at this point would be unhealthy for him.

“They wanted me to defend my belt one more time, but going from 216 to 185, it’s not possible for me anymore,” he says. “I have to move up.”

While names like Jason “Mayhem” Miller were proposed for that title defense, Mousasi plans to fight for Dream in March or April in the 205-pound division.

“Maybe the others can fight for the Dream middleweight [title],” he says. “I think Jacare is a good candidate and deserves it.”

Light heavyweight is only a pitstop for Mousasi, though.

“To be honest, I want to go to heavyweight,” he says. “I think if it’s something you do and you win, people will be surprised, and I like that. It was always my dream to be the best. If you say, ‘I’m the best heavyweight’ it feels like you’re the best heavyweight in the world. If you say, 'I’m the best middleweight,' there’s always a couple of guys above you that could beat you.”

If all goes as planned inside his cool but calculated mind, Mousasi will make his U.S. debut at Affliction and M-1 Global’s third event in June or July carrying 225-230 pounds on his frame the natural way.

“I can use steroids or stuff like it, [but] I want to fight in America, and the only way is to do it naturally because you will get caught in America,” he reasons.

Mousasi said his Dream contract allows him to fight outside Japan and Korea, where he had garnered quite a following among fans and could thrive quite nicely. Still, Mousasi wants more.

“MMA was born in Japan,” he says. “I have a good base [there] –- I can always fight in Japan, and I love fighting there. They always treat me well, but to show the world I’m the best, I think I need to go to America.”

Mousasi has also been influenced by Fedor Emelianenko, who has made his last two appearances in the States and trumped two former UFC champions, Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski, in a combined 3:50. Emelianenko and Mousasi are both managed under the Red Devil International banner and have worked out together.

“Training with him, that’s also one of the reasons I thought I can be a heavyweight,” says Mousasi. “Standing next to Fedor, I feel so much bigger than him. When you train with him, he feels like a middleweight. He’s as strong as a heavyweight but as fast as a middleweight, so I think that makes him special. If I can take my speed as a middleweight, have that explosiveness and mobility and move up to heavyweight, I think that’s something a lot of them don’t have.”

He doesn’t believe he’s ready for the Josh Barnetts and Arlovskis of the world, but Mousasi does have an idea on where he’d like to start in the division.

“A type of guy like Paul Buentello,” he says. “Big, tall –- some guy like him, because I think I can beat those guys. Big guys.”

Feb 7, 2006
Shamrock, Abbott Grab Quick Wins at Wargods

FRESNO, Calif. –- Ken Shamrock submitted Ross Clifton in a minute flat at Wargods and Ken Shamrock Productions “Valentine’s Eve Massacre” on Friday at the Selland Arena. Shamrock secured the tapout-inducing armbar from side control after flooring Clifton with a clean right hand seconds into the bout.

Clifton, who weighed in at a whopping 380 pounds, towered over the much smaller Shamrock, who tipped the scales at 205 pounds. In a flashback to the early UFC events where Shamrock made his name, the size advantage didn’t help Clifton at all.

After connecting with “The Grizzly,” Shamrock softened his oversized foe with hammerfists before transitioning to the finish.

The win sets up a potential showdown between Shamrock and another Octagon veteran, David "Tank" Abbott –- also victorious tonight -- in April. The pair have been mentioned together often, but a standoff has yet to come to fruition.

“Fifteen years I’ve been waiting to fight somebody. For some reason it didn’t happen,” said the 45-year-old Shamrock. “Tank, if you come in like you did tonight, I’m going to end your career.”

Keeping hopes for that bout alive, Abbott made short work of Mike Bourke in their heavyweight tilt, knocking him senseless in just 29 seconds. Abbott, 43, surprised no one by coming out swinging for the fences. It didn’t take long for him to land his famous right, which clipped Bourke’s neck and left him face down on the canvas.

“I really wish it was Ken Shamrock that ran into one of these,” said Abbott afterward, raising a fist in the air. “I’d like to give him the same payment. And to the fans, drink a beer for me.”

Mike Moreno avenged a Feb. 2008 loss to Gary Padilla with a unanimous decision victory in their rematch. The fight may have gone the distance, but it was not close. All three judges saw the bout 30-27 in Moreno’s favor.

Rick Reeves became the first fighter of the night to finish his opponent, as he forced Nate James to tap out with a tight rear-naked choke at 2:07 of the third round.

Local favorite Isaac De Jesus won a dominant decision over Strikeforce veteran and Lion’s Den protégé Ashe Bowman. De Jesus controlled the action for all three rounds, dropping Bowman several times without finding a way to finish.

After the fight, De Jesus announced his plans to drop to the 145-pound division, even though his record remains perfect as a lightweight.

Josh Haynes, of “The Ultimate Fighter” fame, pressed the pace and controlled the action for a split decision victory over Rafael Del Real.

Haynes was the aggressor throughout the fight, pressing the action and complaining as his opponent constantly backpedaled and even turned to run away on several occasions. Haynes was apologetic for the slow pace of the fight.

“I want a guy who will come in here and bang with me. Sorry,” Haynes told the audience.

Zoila Frausto earned a split decision over Karina Hallinan in the evening’s only women’s bout, while Ron Kessler outpointed Darrin Freeman for a split decision win in the nights opening bout.

A heavyweight bout between UFC veteran Wesley "Cabbage" Correira and Buddy Roberts was cancelled on-site after the Hawaiian withdrew last-minute.

Correira had a laundry list of grievances with the promotion, including a lack of per diems, spotty transportation for the fighters, and no notice regarding flights to and from the event.

Correira said the final straw came when a CSAC official told him at the arena that half of his show purse was to be subtracted to cover his medical testing –- something Correira said had not been negotiated beforehand between fighter and promotion.

“If I knew they were they were going to take it out, I could have done my own medicals much cheaper,” said Correira.

Feb 7, 2006
Report: UFC officials heading to Quebec in effort to save UFC 97

After breaking the news on Thursday that Quebec's governing body in charge of regulating combat sports in the province would not sanction the "UFC 97: Redemption" event under the Unified Rules of MMA, French language website Corus Sports.com is reporting that UFC President Dana White will attend meetings in Quebec next week in an attempt to reach a resolution.

The meeting between White and the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux could determine the fate of the nearly sold-out April 18 event, scheduled for the Bell Centre in Montreal.

The same venue played host to UFC 83 in 2008, an event attended by more than 21,000 spectators that generated more than $5.1 million in ticket sales.

The confusion began on Thursday, when Réjean Thériault, the communications director for the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux, which governs alcohol, racing, gambling and combat sports in Quebec, told CorusSports the UFC's use of elbows and knees to the head do not currently fall in line with the commission's policies.

While the commission's current policies only apply to boxing, kickboxing and mixed boxing -- and do not provide regulations on the use of a cage -- the commission had allowed groups such as promoter Stephen Patry's TKO to operate outside of those boundaries.

Ironically, it may have been Patry's new venture, Strikebox, that caused the commission to reverse its position. While the Feb. 6 event was conducted under standard MMA rules, a supposed "gentleman's agreement" to keep the fights standing was allegedly agreed upon by the fighters involved. When main-event competitor James Thompson did not adhere to the alleged agreement, angry fans began pelting the combatants with beer cans and other objects.

Following the initial reports of an issue, UFC Vice President of Regulatory Affairs Marc Ratner told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the organization would do everything in its power to make sure the event went on as planned.

"I just know what I've been told, and we're working on it." Ratner said. "We've got to make it work."

According to the report by Corus Sports.com, the meeting will be an attempt "to resolve problems with an open mind."

Feb 7, 2006
German television network DSF to begin airing UFC content in March

While the UFC has yet to officially announce its debut event in Germany, a UFC 99 event taking place in June in Cologne, Germany, appears a near certainty.

The decision to hold an event in the country was questioned by many MMA observers for one key reason: Despite the UFC's success in other European ventures, awareness of the sport in Germany has remained minimal.

A key component of the struggle was a lack of a German television deal, but that has now apparently been resolved with German network DSF's recent announcement that it will begin airing an extensive lineup of UFC-related programming.

In recent months the UFC was reportedly close to a deal with another German network, ProSieben. However, that partnership was never formally announced. And now, with nary a press release from either the UFC or DSF, the television station's programming guide has been updated to reflect the addition of UFC-related content.

DSF's programming guide now states that UFC programming will air every Saturday beginning at 11 p.m. local time, starting on March 7. The first night of programming features an episode of "UFC Unleashed" with past fights of Keith Jardine vs. Chuck Liddell, Tyson Griffin vs. David Lee, Patrick Cote vs. Kendall Grove, and Frank Mir vs. Antoni Hardonk.

The following week, on March 14, DSF air another episode of "UFC Unleashed," which will be followed by a one-week tape-delayed broadcast of "UFC 96: Jackson vs. Jardine."

DSF's website claims a total of 20 event broadcasts will be aired that feature either live or tape-delayed UFC events in 2009.

On March 21, DSF will air a third episode of "UFC Unleashed" featuring Georges St. Pierre vs. Frank Trigg, Karo Parisyan vs. Nick Diaz, and Sean Sherk vs. Benji Radach. DSF's current online programming guide ends on March 22.

UFC 99 is expected to take place June 13 at the Lanxess Arena, a 20,000-seat arena (the country's largest) in Cologne, Germany. Fighters such as Randy Couture and Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic have been rumored for the event, though the UFC has made no official event announcements.

Feb 7, 2006
NOONS WILL NOT FIGHT THOMSON ON APRIL 11

Hopes were high heading into the first Strikeforce event on Showtime since the company purchased several EliteXC assets that current Strikeforce champion Josh Thomson could defend his belt against the last ever EliteXC lightweight titleholder in K.J. Noons. But it appears that fight will not happen at this time.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker appeared on MMAWeekly Radio Friday night where he broke the news that Noons is focused on his boxing career, and a fight against Thomson is put on hold. The Strikeforce lightweight champion will still compete on the card.

"Josh Thomson will fight. We offered it to K.J. Noons, (but) it looks like that fight will not happen. K.J. is focusing on his boxing career, so he will not be available," Coker stated.

Since having a contract dispute with EliteXC, Noons has gone back to his roots in professional boxing. While he's always said he'd make time to go back to mixed martial arts, it appears now is not the occasion.

"I think we'll always extend the invitation," Coker said about bringing Noons into the Strikeforce fold. "It's really going to be up to K.J. If he really has had success in boxing, cause I understand he has, and he's trying to become a boxer, then he's not going to be able to be an MMA fighter at this point in his career."

He reassured fans that Thomson would still appear on the card and the organization is currently finalizing a new opponent for its 155-pound champion.

Regardless of the match-up against Noons, Coker understands the commodity he has in his own lightweight champion and he's excited to have him on the inaugural Showtime card.

"He's definitely a world class fighter. I think he could fight the top three or four guys in the world. I think he'd do very well," Coker said about Thomson.

The Strikeforce CEO promised that more fights would be announced over the next few days, so stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com as Strikeforce on Showtime fast approaches

Feb 7, 2006
UFC Quick Quote: Demian Maia is not better than Anderson Silva …

I think my jiu jitsu would give me a very big advantage [against Anderson Silva}. Jiu jitsu is very effective in MMA and vale tudo. I have superior jiu jitsu and I think I would bring that to the fight. But Anderson is, to me, the best fighter in the world. He’s very well rounded, very complete, very hard to beat. He has more experience than I have. But I know I would like to challenge him. I can’t wait…. I don’t think [me and Chael Sonnen are] better than he is. I think we could win if we fight him but I don’t think I’m better than he is. I think he’s the best fighter in the world, but I think I could win if I fought him. I know the strongest part of my game is my jiu jitsu, so that’s how I could beat him. But it wouldn’t be easy. He’s the best fighter in the world.”

Feb 7, 2006
John Alessio in talks to fight Shinya Aoki during DREAM welterweight Grand Prix

Rumors have been sweeping the Internet in recent days pointing to a welterweight affiliated with the Xtreme Couture camp in Las Vegas as being involved in negotiations to fight WAMMA lightweight champion Shinya Aoki during the first round of DREAM’s upcoming welterweight tournament.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com has confirmed through its sources that the fighter in question is former WEC and UFC veteran John Alessio. However, a source cautioned that a deal to bring Alessio into the tournament fold has not been finalized and his chances of signing and fighting Aoki were appraised as being “50/50.”

Aoki, 19-3, primarily competes at lightweight. He won the then-vacant WAMMA lightweight title this past New Year’s Eve during FEG’s “Dynamite!!” event after he submitted Eddie Alvarez with a heel hook at 1:32 of round 2. The six year veteran is widely regarded as the number two lightweight fighter in the world and holds notable victories in his career over Akira Kikuchi, Joachim Hansen, Caol Uno, and Gesias Calvancante.

Alessio is 24-12 and has been idle since losing to Paul Daley this past December during a Maximum Fighting Championships event. Daley was able to TKO Alessio courtesy of punches at 2:18 of round 2. Having competed since 1998, Alessio holds notable wins over Thomas Denny, Chris Brennan, Pete Spratt, and Gideon Ray.

The Grand Prix, which is scheduled to begin at DREAM.8 on April 5 in Japan, is expected to include a total of 16 fighters. In addition to Aoki, Hayato Sakurai has also been confirmed for the tournament field.

Feb 7, 2006
Nate Mohr latest confirmed UFC release

News of recent releases made by the Ultimate Fighting Championship continues to circulate and FiveOuncesOfPain.com has confirmed that lightweight competitor Nate Mohr has been cut.

Mohr, 8-6, was let go from his contract by the UFC shortly after losing during last month’s UFC 93 event in Dublin, Ireland.

Facing German wrestling specialist Dennis Siver in a non-televised undercard bout, Mohr was TKO’d at 3:27 of round 3 after getting hit by a spinning back kick and then subsequently finished by punches.

The fight vs. Siver was Mohr’s first since UFC 79 in December of 2007. Facing Manny Gamburyan, he was forced to submit at 1:31 of round 1 following an Achilles lock. He was then sidelined for over a year after undergoing knee surgery.

Overall, Mohr is just 1-3 while competing under the UFC banner but it is believed that he could be brought back if he’s able to accumulate a series of wins outside of the organization.

He joins a confirmed list of recent releases by the UFC that includes Rich Clementi, Luigi Fioravanti, Eddie Sanchez, Christian Wellisch, Reese Andy, and Derek Downey.

Feb 7, 2006
Matt Arroyo added to list of UFC roster trimmings

Despite his status as a talented welterweight prospect, potential alone was not enough to keep Matt Arroyo employed by the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com has confirmed that the Rob Kahn-trained fighter was released from the promotion soon after his split decision loss to Dan Cramer during last month’s UFC 94 event. The bout served as Cramer’s professional debut.

Arroyo, a jiu-jitsu black belt who gained national notoriety after appearing on the sixth season of The Ultimate Fighter, fell to 0-2 in his last two bouts following the defeat against Cramer. The initial loss of his current two fight losing streak took place this June during the live finale for the seventh season of The Ultimate Fighter.

Facing TUF 7 veteran Matt Brown in a rematch from a Renegade Fighting Championships bout that took place in November of 2006, Arroyo fell to 0-2 lifetime against the Team Jorge Gurgel member following a TKO at 3:40 of round 2.

Arroyo departs the UFC with a 1-2 lifetime record inside of the Octagon with a first round armbar submission victory over John Kolosci from the live finale of TUF 6 also to his credit.

He joins a confirmed list of recent releases by the UFC that includes Nate Mohr, Rich Clementi, Luigi Fioravanti, Eddie Sanchez, Christian Wellisch, Reese Andy, and Derek Downey.

Feb 7, 2006
Pat Barry set to make Octagon return at UFC 98 vs. newcomer Tim Hague

A heavyweight bout between prospects Pat Barry and Tim Hague has been added to the bout schedule for UFC 98 on May 23 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com learned of the new matchup after speaking with two separate sources close to the fight. Both sources stated that bout agreements have been signed.

Barry improved to 4-0 in his UFC debut this past December at UFC 92 following a first round TKO over Dan Evensen. Utilizing devastating low kicks that made him a K-1 standout, Barry forced a stop to the fight after Evensen could barely stand.

Trained by Duke Roufus and Eric Schafer, Barry was a two time U.S. Open San Shou champion before he ended up moving to Holland to train full time with four-time K-1 champion Ernesto Hoost in Amsterdam. After making his own successful career in K-1 and competing for a short time in Chuck Norris’ World Combat League, the 29-year old heavyweight hooked up with Roufus and Schafer and made the crossover into competitive MMA in May of 2008.

Hague is a three-year veteran who will making his UFC debut in spite of the fact that he signed a contract with EliteXC this past October. Possessing a mixed martial arts record of 9-1, the Edmonton native holds victories over notable names such as UFC veteran Sherman Pendergarst, Ruben Villareal and Jared Kilkenny.

Hague’s sole professional loss came via split decision to Miodrag Petkovic at HCF: Destiny. However, he avenged the defeat in his most recent fight this past October courtesy of a unanimous decision at a Raw Combat event.

In addition to Barry vs. Hague, UFC 98 will reportedly be headlined by Brock Lesnar defending his UFC heavyweight title against interim UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir. Other reported matchups include Matt Serra vs. Matt Hughes; Sean Sherk vs. Frankie Edgar; Andre Gusmao vs. Houston Alexander; James Irvin vs. Drew McFedries; Phillipe Nover vs. Kyle Bradley; and George Roop vs. Dave Kaplan.

Feb 7, 2006
Jacaré bets on Galvão at Dream’s GP

Training with André Galvão, Ronaldo “Jacaré” hopes to see the two times Jiu-Jitsu world champion in Dream’s welterweight GP. In that same event, Jacaré fought the middleweight tournament, but ended with a loss in the final, against Gegard Mousasi. "His chances are great. He’s well trained, focused and getting better each day... He has a great chance to bring this belt to us, give us this happiness", bets the two times Jiu-Jitsu world openweight champion.

Waiting to step again in the Japanese rings, Jacaré revealed he might fight again in April. "The plan to fight is in April. Anything is confirmed yet, but the possibility of fighting in April is great”, said, helping in Anderson Silva’s preparation to fight Thales Leites, also in April, in the UFC. "Anderson is a phenomenon. He’s in a great phase, we’re helping and being much helped by him... I hope he gets there, does his job and bring this belt to us".

Feb 7, 2006
Antoine Jaoude Interview

One of the biggest names of the Brazilian Olympic Fight, Antoine Jaoude secured the highest place on the podium for the Selective to Abu Dhabi, which happened in Rio de Janeiro, at the last weekend, and is with the passport stamped to the ADCC 2009. Analyzing his performance in the Selective, Jaoude spoke about his expectations for 2009, plans for the MMA and the future of Submission in Brazil. Check below the chat that TATAME had with the champ.

What did you think of your participation in the ADCC Selective?
I was getting psychologically prepared and was much more focused than in previous Selective, but, unfortunately, I hurt my toe two weeks before the event and continued training even with much pain. The pain was progressing, then I decided to go to the orthopedist and found out I had some fractures in the toe. This unhappiness has made me focus more and stay more strategic, and this has made me avoid fools mistakes. Then, I can only relax and trust in God.

Do you believe that the victory over Gabriel Vella in the first fight was crucial for you to get more confident in the event?
I honestly didn’t expect to win a guy like Vella so early. I already knew Gabriel, he’s a great fighter, a warrior, and began to admire him even more after he ventured in Wrestiling, because is not anyone who does this. I believe that it was my day, it was meant to be.

How will it be the training for the ADCC? What are your expectations?
I train Submission with Mr. Leitão and I’ll work hard to represent Brazil and, the minimum I can do, is train day and night Jiu-Jitsu and Wrestling, to get well, because went through some very tough opponents and I'm training thinking about this, because I don’t want to disappoint them. I know everyone will keep an eye on me and that makes me want to represent Brazil at the highest level and get there and win the foreigners.

What are your goals and plans for 2009? You will focus more on MMA, Olympics or ADCC?
Now that I won the Selective, my main goal for this year will be the ADCC, but I pretend to fight other types of fights. My ground is very good, because I have been training hard for Sengoku. I believe that I’ll sign the contract of the event and fight in March, we are negotiating, but you know how are complicated and volatile these events are, so I continue training and, if my fight is confirmed, I’ll be ready.

Feb 7, 2006
Alves, Mickey Rourke & the Currans Featured on HDNet’s ‘Inside MMA’
videolink: http://www.sherdog.com/videos/recen...he-Currans-Featured-on-HDNets-Inside-MMA-1917
UFC welterweight contender Thiago Alves is joined on the guest panel by Pat and Jeff Curran.

Bas Rutten sits down with actor Mickey Rourke in part one of an exclusive interview.

As always, Ron Kruck offers the latest in MMA news.

Feb 7, 2006
When the UFC came calling, Todd Duffee answered (slowly)

For MMA prospects rising through the ranks, an offer to fight in the UFC can be the goal they've been working years to reach.

When that call came for the HardCore Gym's Todd Duffee (4-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC), the heavyweight told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) he had to think long and hard before he said yes.

"My thoughts immediately were, 'Am I experienced enough?' Duffee said. "I didn't want to be that guy that's 4-0 walking into the UFC. Now, lo and behold, I am."

If Duffee's hesitation to make the leap to the UFC seems a bit surprising, consider how early the 23-year-old is in his mixed martial arts career.

"I did a little boxing when I was 16 (years old), but there was no place really in Southern Illinois to do that," Duffee said. "That's something I had always respected. When people asked me, 'What do you think is the most athletic sport in the world?' I would always say, 'Oh, boxing, of course.'

"And then I got down to Atlanta, with my mom. While I was living with her I got the opportunity to go to a boxing gym. One thing led to another, and I saw some guys grappling. I never wanted to wrestle in high school because I didn't want to wear the whole leotard, or whatever you call it. So I didn't wrestle. Big mistake. Oops."

Through that auspicious beginning, a mixed martial arts career was born.

"I basically saw those guys grappling and I thought, 'Oh, that's cool,'" Duffee said. "Next thing you know I was watching the UFC and I was like, 'Wow. That is the purest form of competition I've ever seen in my life. That's what I want to do.'

"Probably within three days I found an MMA gym. I would say it was more of a commercial MMA school. They had their cardio-kickboxing classes, those kinds of things. It was nothing real serious. But I walked in with the mindset of, 'I want to fight.' So I've been training twice a day, every day, ever since, and it's taken me to here."

"Here" is preparing for his first visit to the worlds largest MMA organization after racking up four straight wins as a professional. All four have come by knockout or TKO, including a second-round TKO over UFC and PRIDE veteran Assuerio Silva in the main event of Jungle Fight 11 in September 2008.

Those four wins follow a successful amateur run that saw Duffee endure just one loss, though the defeat could certainly be marked with an asterisk. Duffee explained the circumstances surrounding his 2006 loss at the hands of Joshua Johnson.

"Does it count as a loss if you break your arm and the guy never hits you?" Duffee asked. "It's kind of a silly story. I came out, and I kind of missed a push kick and kind of fell into a spinning back fist. I hit the top of his head and it broke. I knew it was broken.

"I was beating him up so bad. They stopped the fight to check his blood, and I went back out and switched stances but I couldn't make a fist. So I looked at the ref, and I was like, 'Dude. I'm done.' He goes, 'Why? You're winning.' I go, 'This is an amateur fight.'

"I felt like I had done enough. If I had to go back, I definitely would not have done that, to be real honest. But it's a little late."

Despite the early setback, Duffee has gone on to earn a reputation as a heavy-handed brute. But the 6-foot-3, 260-pound former football player wants to prove to the world his game isn't just about pure power.

"I would like to say I'm more of a mixed martial artist," Duffee said. "I'm not a striker. I'm not a wrestler. I'm not a jiu-jitsu guy. I'm a fighter. I'm more of a Brian Bowles-type, really well-rounded.

"I don't really care where a fight goes as long as I'm winning. I feel like I can attack from anywhere and I can win the fight from anywhere."

So Duffee will now take a break from his international business studies at the University of Georgia to ramp up his training with the HardCore Gym in Athens, Ga., and American Top Team in Florida in preparation for his UFC debut.

Duffee said he's not quite sure yet when he will make his octagon debut.

"I read on the internet somewhere that I was fighting in June in Germany," Duffee said. "But honestly I haven't had the opportunity to talk to Alex Davis or any more of the management crew at ATT. [June] is what I read, but your guess is as good as mine."

While unsure of the specifics of his UFC debut, Duffee said he can't wait to step into the octagon and prove to everyone he deserves this chance.

"I would always like to be the underdog," Duffee said. "I'm not going to lie. That's just more fun. Who doesn't want to be that guy? But it's really up to [the UFC]. I think no matter what the first two or three fights I'm going to be the underdog -- a 23-year-old kid coming in that nobody's ever seen or heard of.

"It doesn't bother me so much as I just didn't want to be that guy that didn't earn it. Have I earned it in the gym? Yeah. But I don't really know that I have earned it publicly.

"I know deep down in my heart that there's no question I belong. And anybody that has trained with me I think will agree. I've been in there with guys that have fought in the UFC, and I'm there. It's just a matter of getting a chance to show it."

And while it remains to be seen if the early success of Duffee's career will translate into the UFC, the Georgia resident wants to make one thing perfectly clear.

"I will not get outworked," Duffee said. "A guy may be more skilled than me, a guy may be more experienced, but he will not outwork me. That's the one thing I know will not happen to me. I will not let that happen."

Feb 7, 2006
Report: Evangelista and Cristiane Santos eyeing April 11 Strikeforce card

While Fiveouncesofpain.com recently reported Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos (6-1) was forced to withdraw from XMMA 7 in Montreal due to injury, a new report from Tatame.com suggests she may be ready to return to action in time for Strikeforce's April 11 event in San Jose.

And husband Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos (16-12) may be on the card, too.

"I believe I will fight on April 11," Evangelista said. "They came into contact with me and said I could fight."

Evangelista is an 11-year veteran of the sport and has fought in PRIDE, Cage Rage, Sengoku and the IVC, among other organizations. The heavily-tattooed 31-year-old has faced Gegard Mousasi, Kazuhiro Nakamura, Melvin Manhoef, Yuki Kondo and Maricio "Shogun" Rua in his 28-bout career.

Evangelista last fought in September 2008. Opponent Siyar Bahadurzada attempted an early takedown and Evangelista dislocated his elbow trying to brace the fall. The bout ended in just 22 seconds.

In the report from Tatame.com, Evangelista expressed his interest in fighting the same night as his wife, anew challenge the two gave not previously experienced.

Evangelista also said Cristiane is exciting for a long-rumored bout with fellow female superstar Gina Carano, but that he does not believe Strikeforce will make that bout right away.

"I told Cris to submit, not to hit in [Carano's] face, but she said she'll punch only in the nose," Evangelista said. "[Cristiane] has a lot of desire to fight, goes ahead the whole time and Gina will be scared when starts the fight, but I think they won't put this fight already."

Feb 7, 2006
HAPPY WITH WIN, JOE LAUZON EYES POSSIBILITIES

Joe Lauzon expected to his fight with Jeremy Stephens to be a tough one, and he was absolutely right. The two fought in the main event of last weekend's UFC Fight Night 17 card and put on a fantastic fight.

Lauzon headlined an UFC Fight Night before back in April against current number one lightweight contender Kenny Florian. Unfortunately for Lauzon, he succumbed to strikes in that bout. Now with main event experience under his belt, he looked much more confident in his fight with Stephens. For Lauzon, the fight went according to plan.

“Pretty much,” said Lauzon in a post-fight interview with MMAWeekly Radio. “I expected Jeremy to be tough. I expected him to be durable. I did not think I was going to hit him and see him crumble. I figured he'd be there with whatever I put in his face. I expected to out-grapple him, which is what I did. It's pretty much what I thought.”

Even though Lauzon expected himself to out-grapple Stephens, he believes he may have shocked his corner when he ended up in a ferocious exchange with his opponent. “I think I gave my corner a heart attack when I started swinging for the fences. Other than that, that was the game plan. It's kind of tough. You have to throw punches and get them to react differently. The general idea was to get him thinking about punches.”

The fight wasn't all fun and games for the New England native. He ended up on the bottom in a precarious situation once or twice when Stephens was throwing heavy leather and elbows, which shocked Lauzon.

“He landed one elbow that hit me in the neck, which I was really glad hit me in the neck instead of the chin,” Lauzon commented. “I just barely took it to the neck. It would have been a lot worse on the chin. I was a little tired at the end of the second round because I tried to sink the guillotine in, but other than that, I felt good the entire time.”

Towards the end of the second round, Lauzon advanced to the mount position and transitioned to a textbook armbar. Even though Stephens hung in there as much as he could, he was forced to eventually tap. “There's something nice about a nice armbar from mount. He knew what was going on. He has great defense.”

Lauzon was originally tapped to fight Hermes Franca in the main event, but an injury sidelined the Brazilian. It's been no secret that Franca and Lauzon have had some bad blood between them, but the bad blood didn't spill over to Stephens and Lauzon.

“I was cool with Jeremy the whole time. I never had any bad will towards him. I told him good fight after the fight. That was about the extent of it. I didn't see him afterwards at all. I saw Hermes in the lobby afterward and we passed each other by. I didn't say hi to him and he didn't say hi to me.”

There was some speculation after his victory over Stephens that Lauzon called out Nate Diaz in a post fight interview. According to Lauzon, he never specifically called out Diaz and believes there are plenty of worthy opponents out there for him in his next fight.

“I think that there are a bunch of possibilities,” he explained. “I read on MMAJunkie today that I called out (Nate) Diaz supposedly. They asked me if I'd rather fight Nate or Manny (Gamburyan). I already fought Manny so I said Nate. When I read the title that Lauzon calls out Diaz, I was like 'come on.' There are a bunch of guys. I think Josh Neer is a possibility. Clay Guida is a good possibility. Maybe Diaz. There's a whole bunch of good guys.”

There is no official word from the UFC on Lauzon's next fight, but if he faces anyone on that list, it's sure to be a good one for fight fans.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 95: NO WEIGHTY CONCERNS FOR NEIL GROVE

Neil Grove is wearing a fresh coat of eye shadow, courtesy of a light heavyweight at Xtreme Couture who plastered him during sparring last week. It was his first trip to the conveyor belt of Las Vegas talent, his visible memento of learning.

The 7-1 heavyweight is scheduled to make his UFC debut against Mike Ciesnolevicz at UFC 95. Grove’s original opponent, Justin McCully, was forced from the bout by a cut injury.

The light heavyweight who gave Grove his mark wasn’t even a light heavyweight by his standard. To him, American 205’ers are more like heavyweights with a tolerance for the sauna, cutting from 225 pounds – or 102 kilograms – to make the weight class below. Grove fights as big as 280 pounds, and couldn’t be considered anything other than a heavyweight.

Ciesnolevicz has fought most of his career at light heavyweight, but could be pushing around an extra 40 pounds come fight time. If he wanted a quick way to negate all of that bulk, it would be to topple the bigger man.

Grove is well aware of his American counterpart’s strong tradition in wrestling, something he did not have as a budding mixed martial artist who “worked the doorways” of London. In Couture’s fenced-in area for sparring, punches anticipated takedowns and smothering ground and pound. He admits he’s still integrating that piece of the puzzle.

“Fighting Americans, I think they’re all a lot better than you think,” Grove says without a trace of sarcasm.

He expects the same skill set from Ciesnolevicz when they meet next Saturday in London. A staple of Britain’s flagship MMA promotion, Cage Rage (now Ultimate Challenge), Grove knocked through his first five opponents in short time. He was first introduced to the sport through Goju-ryu karate, and took to the cage after getting a taste for trading punches.

“If I was him, I wouldn’t stand with me,” Grove says of his Miletich trained opponent.

If there were another decided advantage for Ciesnolevicz, it’s experience – the Bettendorf, Iowa resident has 11 more fights on his resume. But Grove believes his age, 38, to Ciesnolevicz’s 29, might negate that.

“The fact that I’m older and have a bit more experience in life rather than in fighting,” he said. “I’ve been tough all my life. Played rugby, been doing martial arts for 10 years… so I take that into account. Regardless of having pro fights or not, I like fighting. He’s had a hell of a lot more fights than I have, but I’m still learning.”

For Grove, it’s a blessing just to be in the UFC. If he’s at any disadvantage, he’s not going to let it hold him back from opportunity.

“It’s a big step up from fighting in the U.K.,” he says. “It doesn’t make a difference to me at all, mate. Doesn’t matter who they put me up against – it could be a seasoned fighter in the UFC. It could be (the fighter’s) debut as well. To me, it’s just another fight. Just rise to the occasion and do my best. So whatever happens in this fight, I’ve got a lot more to give as time progresses.”

Feb 7, 2006
JOSH KOSCHECK READY TO TAKE ON ALL COMERS

Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight Josh Koscheck fought four times in 2008, racking up three wins over Dustin Hazelett, Chris Lytle and Yoshiyuki Yoshida, only losing to 170-pound top contender Thiago Alves by unanimous decision.

The Ultimate Fighter season one participant and collegiate wrestling standout intends to compete five times in 2009, and the American Kickboxing Academy trained fighter doesn't care who those future opponents are.

"My plan this year, I want to fight at least five times this year. I think that would be ideal for me. I'm always in the gym. I'm always trying to train, and if anybody gets hurt, call Josh Koscheck because I'll step up and fight," said the 31-year-old fighter. "My goal is to fight five times this year. I don't care who it is. I don't care where it is."

Experience goes a long way and Koscheck wants to build his.

"Every time you get in the cage you get more experience, you get more valuable time in that octagon. And honestly, in the first three years of my career, I didn't really have that much time in the octagon," said the top-five ranked welterweight. "I was pretty much a newbie, a fish out of water I would say. I really wanted to get as many fights as I possibly could. I think I have fifteen or sixteen fights with the UFC already, so now I'm starting to get in that rhythm. I'm starting to feel comfortable in there."

"I think it's just being familiar with being in the cage. From coming off the wrestling mat to just straight mixed martial arts was a huge adjustment," added Koscheck. "Now that I'm fighting as much as I can, I want to keep that roll going so I can keep improving every time I step into the cage."

Koscheck's first fight in 2009 is against Paulo Thiago at UFC 95 from the O2 Arena in London, England on Feb. 21.

"Right now I'm not focused on anything but training and fighting in London on UFC 95 and getting a victory there, commented Koscheck. "Then coming back home and getting back in the gym and getting ready for another fight."

"If anybody in the division is willing to step up and fight, I'm willing to accept the fight."