MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Report: Nick Diaz vs. Frank Shamrock set for Strikeforce in April

As the pieces continue to fall into place for the rapidly expanding Strikeforce organization, the California-based promotion now apparently has a main event for their April 11 return to the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

According to Fiveouncesofpain.com, former Strikeforce middleweight champion Frank Shamrock (23-9-2) will take on UFC and EliteXC veteran Nick Diaz (18-7).

An official announcement of the bout could come as early as today.

Shamrock will be returning to action for the first time since dropping the Strikeforce 185-pound title to Cung Le in March 2008. In the headlining bout of "Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Le," Shamrock was forced to quit on his stool at the conclusion of the third round after sustaining a broken arm.

The MMA pioneer will be participating in a media phone call at 3 p.m. ET/12 p.m. PT along with Showtime Senior Vice President Ken Hershman and Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker. Sources close to the event indicate that a formal announcement of the matchup could be made at that time.

Diaz will be competing under the Strikeforce banner for the first time. Currently riding a three-fight win streak while fighting for EliteXC and DREAM, Diaz last saw action in a July 2008 TKO win over Thomas Denny.

Shamrock has recently competed at 185 pounds, while Diaz has fought primarily at 160 and 170 pounds. It is currently unknown at what weight limit the bout will be contested.

Feb 7, 2006
Strikeforce, ‘Slice’ Look to Next Fight

Strikeforce, “Kimbo Slice” is waiting for your call.

Slice, also known as Kevin Ferguson, was among the 42 fighters whose contracts were purchased by Strikeforce last week in a select assets transfer deal with Pro Elite. However, as of late Monday, Ferguson’s management said that the promotion had yet to content the bearded fighter who shot to unprecedented fame in 2008 under the EliteXC banner.

Ferguson’s manager and longtime friend, Mike Imber, said his team is open to working with the California promotion, which just landed a three-year, 16-event deal with Showtime that could also include four live specials on CBS.

“I don’t see why not,” said Imber. “Kimbo wants to fight, so if that’s who got the contract, then that’s who we fight with.”

With double its usual event schedule to produce in the next year, there appears to be room for the ESPN magazine cover boy in the Strikeforce stable. However, exactly how Ferguson is promoted and marketed and what he’s paid could become sticking points in the very near future.

Ferguson received $175,000 for his 43-second knockout of David “Tank” Abbott at EliteXC “Street Certified” in February 2008. His pay jumped to $500,000 for his 14-second loss last October at the hands of Petruzelli, a light heavyweight who was pulled up from the undercard after Ken Shamrock was deemed medically ineligible to fight that same day.

Strikeforce will host its first event under the new agreement on April 11 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., though Ferguson is not on deck to participate as of yet. The 35-year-old father of six has at least three fights remaining on what appears to be an exclusive contract, according to both sides.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker remained ambiguous with his immediate plans for Slice during an interview last Friday with the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show.

“Picture a guy that has some streetfighting capabilities that seems like he can punch pretty good, but put him in an MMA situation,” said Coker. “He’s not a journeyman fighter, he’s not a superstar in MMA –- he’s just learning. He got thrown into the spotlight at a high level where there’s a lot of pressure to perform, but he probably needed 10 to 12 fights under his belt before he took that leap.”

Coker, who’s promoted kickboxers since the mid 80s and has helmed some of the most lucrative MMA events stateside outside of the UFC, seemed less impressed with Ferguson’s handling by Pro Elite.

“I think that if you look back at the past, he could have been built up to have the fights that he needed to face the Seth Petruzellis of the world and be successful, but he wasn’t given the opportunity,” said Coker. “When I look at Kimbo, I don’t look at it as his fault. He was in a ‘no win’ situation.”

Ferguson’s manager Imber didn’t disagree with Coker’s assessment.

“It seems pretty accurate, I guess,” said Imber. “He definitely didn’t control what happened to him. He just went along with what was thrown at him. He wasn’t the one who said, ‘Hey, put me in the spotlight.’ They put him there and they got what they wanted.”

Ferguson’s drawing power has been unmatched. In addition to becoming an overnight cultural icon that kids dressed up as last Halloween, two of Slice’s four career bouts are among the top three most watched fights in MMA history -- his third-round victory over James Thompson at EliteXC “Primetime” on May 31 for CBS drew nearly 7.3 million viewers to take the top spot. But Ferguson’s October loss to Petruzelli -- which was buried under accusations that Petruzelli has been paid to keep the fight standing to coddle Slice –- brought detractors out of the woodwork.

Could Ferguson’s time in the spotlight be dwindling and can he still command the same “bread” he did with Pro Elite, a company that lost its shirt in the promotions game?

“He’s never fought for centerstage,” said Imber. “He wasn’t like, ‘Well, I’m not going to show up if I’m not the main attraction.’ He’s fine with that. Lowering the money is obviously not good, but, hey, let somebody call us. We’ll go from there. We can’t go off anything if nobody calls.”

Much like the impromptu backyard brawls all over southern Florida that made him an Internet icon, Imber said Ferguson is just waiting for a name, date, and place.

“Kimbo would fight tonight if the circumstances were right,” said Imber. “All I know is we’ve been waiting for a while and he’s definitely ready to fight, so whatever we need to do to get him fighting is what we want to do. Getting out of [the contract] would just mean more time not fighting.”

Feb 7, 2006
Alves Ready to Answer the GSP Question
Thiago Alves is one step from achieving a dream.

The step, however, is one of monumental proportions. To become the UFC welterweight champion, he must find a way to beat Georges St. Pierre.

Alves (16-3-0) is tentatively scheduled to face the 27-year old Canadian juggernaut for his 170-pound crown July 11 in Las Vegas. The fight will most likely be the main event of a blockbuster UFC 100 card.

While others might look upon this opportunity with trepidation, Alves, 25, relishes the chance to etch his name among the young sport’s greats. And that’s even after watching cageside Jan. 31 while B.J. Penn wound up on the wrong end of a GSP beating.

“Once he is on his A-game, if you don’t know how to break it, if you don’t have a strong head, it’s going to be really hard for you to win the fight,” Alves said.

A native of Fortaleza, Brazil, who now lives in Coconut Creek, Fla., Alves recognizes the need to negate St. Pierre’s tendency to apply insurmountable pressure early in fights.

“Once Georges St. Pierre is on his game, it’s kind of hard for you to stop him,” said the American Top Team product. “It’s not just because it’s Georges. I think any fighter, if you don’t fight your fight, you’re going to be in trouble against anybody, especially against somebody like Georges St. Pierre.”

You can find yourself in trouble against GSP before you even reach the cage, according to the challenger.

“Most of the guys that Georges has fought … they are pretty tough guys, but every time someone steps in against Georges, they just, I don’t know, they respect him too much.”

St. Pierre (18-2-0) was accused of mental weakness following his April 2007 loss to Matt Serra. Penn also dogged him as a quitter in the buildup to their recent rematch. Alves doesn’t buy into either criticism.

“He’s the champion. There is no way the champion can be a quitter,” Alves said. “I don’t think he can take a punch as well as the other fighters, but I don’t think he is a quitter at all.”

With a statement like that, it isn’t hard to figure out what kind of game plan a noted striker like Alves will want to employ against St. Pierre.

“It’s an MMA fight. We’re fighting with small gloves. Anything can happen,” Alves acknowledged, “but I just don’t think that he’s going to out-strike me. I just don’t think that he is going to knock me down.”

A stand-up war anyone?

Not so fast.

Although St. Pierre is one of the prototypical next-generation MMA fighters with skills in every department, it is his wrestling ability that has set him apart from the rest of the division. And it should be noted that top-level wrestlers like former NCAA champion Josh Koscheck as well as standouts Jon Fitch and Matt Hughes have been out-wrestled by the Canadian phenom.

“You are going to get taken down at one point or the other in the fight,” Alves declared. “The thing is not letting him impose his will, not letting him fight his fight. If you’re taken down, do everything you can to get up. And try to take him down too, put him in an uncomfortable spot, the spot he has never been in before.”

Easier said than done perhaps, but it’s Alves’ strategy.

“That’s going to be the key. I’m going to fight my fight and I’m not letting him get comfortable at all at any second of the fight.”

One thing Alves could have going for him come fight night is a weight advantage. St. Pierre is a massive welterweight and reportedly entered the cage at 187 pounds for his tilt with Penn, who weighed right around the 170-pound limit.

“I think I’ll be a litter bigger than him,” Alves said with a chuckle. “Usually when I fight I’m around 195, 190. … That day I will be probably 195, 200 almost because I’m going to eat so much.”

With a little more than five months to get ready for the biggest fight of his career, Alves will have plenty of time to hone his physical skills. The bigger question will be whether he can maintain his resolve against the constant questioning he will surely find from fans and media alike in the lead-up to the much-anticipated bout.

If he is going to have a chance to dethrone one of the best in the business, he will have to believe in himself while many, if not most, will dismiss him.

“You got to respect the guy and everything, but once they are in front of you, you have to try to put up a fight. Don’t get me wrong. It’s Georges St. Pierre -- he’s really good,” Alves said. “Maybe, maybe, I don’t know, maybe he’s that good, but I don’t think so. I don’t think so.”

Thiago, Georges and the rest of us should get our answer come July 11.

Feb 7, 2006
Strikeforce declines to acquire contracts of Antonio Silva and Murilo “Ninja” Rua

Published reports indicate that Strikeforce acquired a total of 42 fighter of approximately 150 contracts from ProElite during last week’s acquisition of select assets.

The San Jose-based promotion is believed to have the option of acquiring additional contracts from ProElite in the future, but as it stands now, a great deal of fighters will continue to remain under ProElite control.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com has learned that two fighters that will remain under contract to ProElite are EliteXC heavyweight champion Antonio Silva and former EliteXC middleweight champion Murilo “Ninja” Rua.

Once considered a hot commodity, Silva’s stock has declined in recent months due to the fact that he defied a one-year suspension in January that had been handed down by the California State Athletic Commission due to a positive steroid test.

Had Silva not fought on January 4 for the Japan-based Sengoku promotion he could have been reinstated as early as July. However, the commission is now expected to meet in the next several months to vote to revoke Silva’s license and in turn leave him ineligible to fight in the United States on an indefinite basis.

Sources indicate that Silva’s stock was also hurt by the fact that he received $200,000 following EliteXC’s “Unfinished Business” in July for his heavyweight title victory against the late Justin Eilers in a bout that headlined a Showtime broadcast that served as a prelude to CBS’ telecast of Saturday Night Fights. Half of the six figure salary had been paid in the form of a guarantee with the other half coming in the form of a win bonus.

Having earned $35,000 for his knockout loss to Benji Radach this past October during EliteXC’s “Heat” event, Rua’s contract was also deemed to be too pricey. Despite having become the first-ever EliteXC middleweight champion following a second round TKO over Joey Villasenor during a combined Strikeforce and EliteXC event in July of 2007, Rua is just 2-2 in his last four bouts.

Feb 7, 2006
Christian Wellisch and Eddie Sanchez added to list of recent UFC cuts

After Zuffa closed down the welterweight division in the WEC and transferred the top fighters over to the UFC, UFC Vice President of Talent Relations Joe Silva was left with a roster of over 200 fighters heading into this past Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 17.

In order to alleviate the bloated roster, up to 50 fighters could be cut over the course of the next several months. FiveOuncesOfPain.com was the first to report that the UFC made a series of cuts over the weekend that included lightweight Rich Clementi, welterweight Luigi Fioravanti, and middleweight Derek Downey.

Five Ounces of Pain has also learned that American Kickboxing Academy light heavyweight Christian Wellisch and heavyweight Eddie Sanchez can now be added to the list as well.

Wellisch was recently cut in response to his split decision loss against Jake O’Brien nearly two weeks ago at UFC 94 in Las Vegas. Even though the bout marked Wellisch’s first at light heavyweight, the defeat served as his second consecutive loss inside of the Octagon.

It is believed that Sanchez was cut earlier this year in response to his unanimous decision loss to Justin McCully during the “UFC Fight for the Troops” event this past December in Fayetteville, North Carolina. The loss to McCully marked two consecutive defeats for Sanchez after having previously lost at UFC 85 this past June via TKO to Antoni Hardonk.

Feb 7, 2006
Parisyan Tests Positive for Painkillers

Welterweight contender Karo Parisyan tested positive for three banned painkillers following his main-card bout with South Korean judoka Dong Hyun Kim at UFC 94 “St. Pierre vs. Penn 2” on Jan. 31 in Las Vegas, according to a report released Tuesday by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

Parisyan -- who has a well chronicled history of panic attacks -- was flagged for Hydrocodone, Hydromorphone and Oxymorphone. A NSAC complaint will be filed against the Armenian-born standout in the coming days and will be followed by a disciplinary hearing, according to NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer. MMAMania.com was first to report the positive test.

The talented 26-year-old Parisyan (19-5) eked out a split decision against the previously undefeated Kim at UFC 94, as he posted his first victory in more than a year. He has lost to only three men -- reigning UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre, top welterweight contender Thiago Alves and “The Ultimate Fighter” season one winner Diego Sanchez -- in the last eight years.

Drug tests on 11 other fighters who competed at UFC 94 -- St. Pierre, B.J. Penn, Lyoto Machida, Thiago Silva, Clay Guida, Nathan Diaz, Stephan Bonnar, Jon Jones, Jake O'Brien, John Howard and Thiago Tavares -- were all negative.

Feb 7, 2006
Wagnney Fabiano to meet Fredson Paixao, not Urijah Faber, at WEC 40

Former International Fight League featherweight champion and recent World Extreme Cagefighting signee Wagnney Fabiano (11-1) has agreed to meet Fredson Paixao (8-2), not Urijah Faber (22-2), at WEC 40.

A source close to the bout told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the fight could be finalized as early as today.

WEC 40 takes place April 5 at Chicago's UIC Pavilion and features WEC bantamweight champion Miguel Torres vs. Brian Bowles in the night's Versus-televised main event.

A number of reports, stemming from Tatame.com's recent interview with Fabiano, suggested the fighter would instead face Faber, the WEC's former featherweight champion. Fabiano, himself, said the Faber fight was likely to happen.

Instead, the Nova Uniao fighter will go for his eighth straight victory (and eighth straight submission win) when he meets Paixao. Fabiano, who went 6-0 in the IFL and went down as the now-defunct organization's final featherweight champ, made his WEC debut in December and defeated Akitoshi Tamura via third-round submission. He's now become another contender in a quickly crowding WEC featherweight division.

Paixao, meanwhile, is a Brazilian-born fighter who hasn't competed since a first-round submission victory over EliteXC and King of the Cage veteran Thomas Denny in May 2007. After signing with the WEC in 2008, Paixao was expected to fight rising contender Jose Aldo last month at WEC 38, but he was pulled off the card for undisclosed reasons.

Faber, meanwhile, recently defeated Jens Pulver and likely reclaimed No. 1 contender's status with the swift first-round victory. He could next face the winner of a March fight between current champ Mike Brown, who defeated Faber in November, and challenger Leonard Garcia.

Feb 7, 2006
Galvão close to Dream welterweight GP

After two victories in the octagons, André Galvão, two times Jiu-Jitsu world champion, is waiting to sign a contract to Dream, and might fight the welterweight tournament, which takes place in April at Japan. “I didn’t sign it yet, but it’s 90% that I’ll be at the Dream GP, in April. My managers are taking care of that and negotiating with the promoters, and, probably, I might do one fight in March, but it’s not set yet. The GP is confirmed”, said Galvão, excited for the biggest chance in his career.

“I’ll be there representing Brazil and bringing this belt home. I’m already training, dedicating a lot and I wanna be there the most complete possible, without forgetting my ground game. I’m training with Josuel Distak (Paulo Filho and Anderson Silva’s coach), Anderson Silva, Rafael “Feijão”, Ronaldo Jacaré and Thiago Jambo, a lot of tough guys… I believe I’ll bring this title to Brazil”, bets André,

Feb 7, 2006
Fabrício Werdum interview

Cut from the UFC after two years of contract with the American event, Fabrício Werdum has accepted the TATAME’s invitation and passed by the challenge of facing the questions of the most demanding interviewers: his fans. Answering to questions from subscribers of TATAME, Werdum spoke about his start in MMA, the defeat for Junior “Cigano” dos Santos in the UFC, his plans for 2009 and the fight of his dreams. Check below the full interview with the fighter, who also spoke about the Chute Boxe and the most important moments of his career in Jiu-Jitsu and MMA.

How was your training with Mirko “Cro Cop”? (Rodrigo Franzoni de Lima)
It was a very good experience that I spent in Croatia, were years of experience, especially at the beginning of the career, it was crucial. I saw Mirko’s training, followed it all with him, was a different experience. He is a guy who trains a lot, is dedicated, impressive. I’ve already trained in several places and Mirko is impressive, he keeps his program, trains twice a day, morning and night. We used to wake up 5:30 a.m. to train. He had that business for military, had no enervation, and was pulled. In the morning we did the fitness, him, Igor, his right arm, and me, and then we did an hour of Jiu-Jitsu, I gave him particular classes. We trained output set, reset the guard, one hundred pounds and then we went home... I lived with him at the beginning, his mother made us a coffee and then we rested and went training again, until 8 p.m.

What’s your feeling with Chute Boxe? (Rodrigo Franzoni de Lima)
It's my team. I plan to stay for a long time, until the end of my career I’ll be Chute Boxe. My ex-manager was the same as Mirkos and rolled some rumors that he would go to Chute Boxe, but he called me to go to Croatia and that he would put me on Pride for three years. I called Rudimar and talked with him and he supported me, told me to go, because it would be a great opportunity for me and the doors were always open at Chute Boxe. I was a good time in Pride and, today, I use Chute Boxe’s shirt with great pride, now here in the United States. Trainings here with Rafa (Rafael Cordeiro) are very good. I’m very happy here. I'm going by bike to the trainings at the academy, is a hot sun even in the winter. Chute Boxe forever, until the end of my career.

How is your relationship with Gabriel Gonzaga "Napão"? (Rodrigo Franzoni de Lima)
Napão is the thing. We don’t have that friendship to see each other always, call each other, but it’s a league friendship. We talk on the events, I have nothing against him, we’re professionals. We may be in the same event in the future and face each other, but I have nothing against him, is that reality from the ring.

For you, what’s your biggest mistake in the fight against Cigano? (Felipe Teixeira de Oliveira)
It wasn’t a mistake, but he surprised me. The strategy was to put him down, but I couldn’t try too fast because he would prevent the fall, then I had to make something up so he could think that I would strike with him, but was so fast that I couldn’t have enough time has to do my strategy. He really surprised me. I wouldn’t strike, but I waned him to think that I would. He must have trained hard to avoid the drop, the clich, but he came with a very strong punch. It was the hardest punch I took in my career, I had never been knocked out. Even more that I gave a step forward and down my head against his hand. I was in condition, was prepared. Some people said that I was out of shape, but I wasn’t, I did everything right in Curitiba, trained Muay Thai, ground, everything. I really hadn’t done the diet, then it seemed that I was out of shape, but I wasn’t. I would be sad if this had happened in the second or third round, if I had seen that he was over me, but I haven’t had time to show how good I was.

What is the most technical fighter you faced on the cloth? (Felipe Teixeira de Oliveira)
Two, actually. Roger Gracie is impressive in technical and calm. He does Jiu-Jitsu, Submission and ADCC always with the same face, doesn’t change his expression. My game closes with his, I'm a big guy, but I don’t use much of force, but the technique. The other is Tererê, who beat me at the final of the World Cup category in 2004. He said that he would win the big guy, break my legs, that was too much, right? (laughs). He is very technical, doesn’t make much strength and uses only his speed.

Do you think about fighting the next ADCC? (Felipe Teixeira de Oliveira)
Absolutely. My focus is now ADCC. I'm training all here. As I won in 2007, I’m classified and focused on this, doing my trainings without kimono. It is good to practice with a purpose. We are in negotiations with Affliction, but my negotiation will only happen after the event of January 24. I’ll see if I’ll fight on Sengoku, but my focus now is ADCC.

Fedor, Arlovski ou Josh Barnett. If you could choose, who would you like to face? (Felipe Teixeira de Oliveira)
I would fight with anyone, but if I could choose, I would like to make a rematch with Arlovski. That fight wasn’t cool, it was a debut against an ex-champion. Some people said that I won, others that he won or tied, but I want a rematch with him and then fight with Fedor, which is the will of everyone, he is the best in the world. This thing of saying that (Brock) Lesnar is the best in the world doesn’t exist, I’m against that. The guy has four fights and is already the world champion? Everybody knows that Fedor is the best. In heavy, I think the best are in Affliction. Apart from Minotauro, the rest in the UFC are weak. The UFC has what he wanted, two Americans to fight the "final". The marketing is the most important thing, they are good at it. Frank Mir also, this final among them doesn’t exist.

In a future fight against Fedor, what would be the strategy to defeat him? (Felipe Teixeira de Oliveira)
I would do something really simple, try to put him down. It is difficult to get the fat go down, but I would be on top, passing the guard and mount, get a kimura... It is hard to beat Fedor in the ass, giving him punches down. It can happen, but it will be very difficult to punch him and stop him, you have to get him at a key for him to surrender. I think he lets his arm broke, but don’t hit. Must be in the neck to put him to sleep. I would train much Wrestling to put him down and, if I were below, I would be with a very close guard.

What is the most significant fight of your career and why? (Felipe Teixeira de Oliveira)
There are several, but the most significant was against Minotauro. Not because the fight itself, fight with my idol, but that tragedy happened before the fight, they killed my teacher and I was more concerned with the honor that I would do than with the fight. I’ve lost 10 pounds before the fight because I was sick, I was in hospital until the day before the fight and the doctor doesn’t wanted me to fight. No diminishing Minotauro’s victory, I'm telling what happened.

In your opinion, who will stay with the UFC final belt: Lesnar or Mir? (Felipe Teixeira de Oliveira)
Now it’s difficult, but Mir already has a victory over him and this will count a bit. When Mir won Minotauro, he looked at Lesnar and said that the belt was his. It was able to see that Lesnar was with a strange face, shy, was scared... Mir will get it.

Do you think leaving the UFC when you were even quoted to fight for the belt can hinder your career? (Antonio Rivanildson da Costa Carvalho)
The UFC was very good to me, I had four more fights in the contract, but they wanted to renegotiate. I couldn’t accept what they wanted. It took a while to build my structure for wanting to cut my bag and I cut down my head. The fighter also has pride. It was very good the time I was there, but was well on my part. With them, or is like this or it’s over. It was as if I return to the beginning of my career, when I fought for the first time in England and even wanted to pay to fight, but I had my victories, won prestige and my bag was great, but I couldn’t accept what they wanted. I’ll see if I close with an event that values me, who gives the show are the fighters. Without us, the events are nothing, they need us.

What do you think of the campaign for Jiu-Jitsu in the Olympics in London? Do you think that can happen? (Berzotti Lucas)
Imagine how cool would be Jiu-Jitsu in the Olympics? I think that is possible and it would be very good. I don’t know in how many countries has Jiu-Jitsu, but the whole world knows. Four or five years ago that was impossible, but today everyone knows, it can be done. It would be very nice for the guys to dedicate, I think they deserve an Olympics dedicating themselves for Brazil, It would be very good. The guys likes to train, stay the whole day in the gym and I think they deserve this reward.

Do you think the migration of Jiu-Jitsu fighters for the MMA can take the Brazilian hegemony of the cloth? (Berzotti Lucas)
The guys fight for a medal, but comes a time that doesn’t give more, you have family to support, and than fight for medal isn’t good. It should have a cash prize for the guys get more excited. In 2009 this will change, they have many championships in Jordan and Abu Dhabi with awards, then the guys are trying, request sponsorship and pays the trip in 600x, because now it is worth. The sport is evolving, can’t stop in time. Medal is medal, it’s important, but comes a time that the man thinks twice before going. Some people prefer to fight the kimono, but goes to the MMA by necessity.

Who would you shoot as a strong name for the future of MMA? (Berzotti Lucas)
I think Thales Leites is very good and will now fight with Anderson Silva. He has the opportunity to win if he puts to the ground and make a good Jiu-Jitsu. Another who is very good is Demian Maia. I saw him fighting and he’s well focused, fighting very well.

Apart from the financial issue, you prefer fighting MMA, Jiu-Jitsu or Submission? (Berzotti Lucas)
A while ago, when I still fought in World Cups, European, I liked most of kimono because I hadn’t felt the MMA. Today, I put the MMA first, Submission in second and Jiu-Jitsu in third. I’m better without cloth, prefer it.

When a fight starts and you realize that your opponent is above you, winning the fight, what goes through your head? Do you try to follow the strategy or completely change the plans? (Éderson Silva)
When this happens the guy is not well prepared, but if it happens that the guy is better, I’ll take risks. If I see that he won the other rounds, I will not be stopped looking at him, I’ll risk everything, go to submit.

If your opponent has the same technical level as yours, you prefer to face him on the ground or in striking? (Éderson Silva)
Definitely I would go to my beach, the Jiu-Jitsu. My origin is this, I can’t escape. If I see that the guy is good standing and on the ground, at the same level as me, we’ll go to the ground see who is the best.

Do you believe that, with your conquest of a belt, the Chute Boxe would come back to the top? (Afonso Afrânio da Silva Junior)
Sure, but I will say that Chute Boxe will always be the Chute Boxe, which has already made a lot for MMA and has been the best team in the world and, for me, is still the best. Certainly in 2009 we will change this idea that some people have that the team fell a bit, the guys can expect that I will come with everything. I will train hard to show that Chute Boxe is in active, even with the new talent here from Curitiba and some boys here that will give the talk.

Until what point the difference between ring and octagon influence in an athlete’s game? (Afonso Afrânio da Silva Junior)
For me, it doesn’t make much difference. Being prepared, is the same thing. The difference that I feel is the public of Japan to the United States. The Japanese public understands more, and the American doesn’t like the fight on the ground, prefers up game, more Boxing and Muay Thai. Japanese know how to enjoy and feel the ground, know the movements, stay quiet only looking. When the fight goes to the ground it doesn’t have to get up fast... If it takes a long time stopped, ok, but it has to let it roll, it is a MMA fight, not Boxing or Muay Thai.

Do you think that, in the current level of MMA, the physical preparation makes all the difference? (Afonso Afranio da Silva Junior)
The physical preparation is very important. In the past days the Jiu-Jitsu won everything, but today, everyone know how to do this, Boxing, Muay Thai, Wrestling, then the level is very matched, what makes the difference is the physical preparation. In my opinion, the fight today is 70% of physical conditioning. Who doesn’t make a good physical preparation will stay behind.

What did you think of the victory of Brock Lesnar on Randy Couture? How do you think would be a fight between you and Lesnar? (Jardel Moreira Monteiro)
I would kill Brock Lesnar. He isn’t guilty because they have putted him there, but I would take him on the ground, tire him a lot and give him a ride. He has to get much experience, he’s a little crazy, haven’t got technique. He really goes to the fight, in brute force, but comes a time that the gas ends. I would get him in a leg-lock, kimura, would get him... I would be making myself silly there, wait the gas end and submit him.

Want to send some message to the subscribers of TATAME?
I was very happy for subscribers wanting to know about me, see that everybody is worried about me. There were many questions and I was very happy, that motivated me even more to train to return in 2009 with everything. Fighter’s life isn’t easy, our goal is to make a show, fight well, but that isn’t always achieved. The difficult isn’t the fight itself, if we could we would fight three or four times in one night, but the day-to-day is more complicated. I’m happy to be able to show you guys that I'm in active and that what happened was inevitable.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC FIGHT NIGHT 17 RATINGS

FIRST EVER “UFC FIGHT NIGHT” IN TAMPA NETS BIG RATINGS

FOR SPIKE TV

UFC Fight Night Ranked #1 With Young Men In Its Time Slot In All of Cable

New York, NY, February 10, 2009 – Spike TV’s live “UFC Fight Night” in Tampa, FL, the first UFC card in the city’s history, served as a showcase for some of mixed martial arts’ rising stars, and garnered strong ratings in the process. UFC Fight Night on Spike TV ranked #1 in Men 18-49 and Men 18-34 among ad-supported cable for its time period.

The card, which featured Joe Lauzon submitting Jeremy Stephens via armbar in the main event, affirming his spot as a top contender in the lightweight division, drew an average audience of 1.7 million viewers. Overall, the telecast, which emanated LIVE from the USF Sun Dome peaked with a 2.00 rating in M 18-34 and a 1.51 household rating for an average of 2 million viewers during the 10:30 – 10:45 PM quarter hour, which featured the main event.

Overall, the Spike telecast reached 1.7 million people with a 1.60 rating Men 18-34 (462,000 viewers), a 1.55 rating in Men 18-49 (869,000 viewers), and a 1.3 HH rating. It bested huge college basketball matchups on Saturday in key demographics, including ESPN’s men’s college basketball telecasts of Indiana against Michigan State, as well as UConn’s showdown with Michigan.

Versus the same time period from a year ago, UFC Fight Night was up triple digits in key demographics; +319% in Men 18-49, +203% in Persons 18-49, +214% in Men 18-34, and +152% among average audience.

Feb 7, 2006
'DJ Taiki' qualifies for DREAM Featherweight GP

Daiki "DJ Taiki" Hata earned himself a spot on the DREAM Featherweight GP Tuesday by winning a qualifier at a DEEP and CMA co-promoted show in Tokyo.
"DJ Taiki" won via unanimous decision over fellow Pancrase vet Shoji Maruyama.

The DREAM Featherweight GP begins March 8 at DREAM 7 at the Saitama Super Arena.

Masakazu Imanari
Chase Beebe
Akiyo "Wicky"
Takafumi Otsuka
Kim Jong Won
Joe Warren
Hiroyuki Takaya
"DJ Taiki"
Hideo Tokoro
Micah Miller
Fernandes Bibiano
Atsushi Yamamoto
Norifumi "KID" Yamamoto is recovering from a knee injury and will likely receive a bye in the first round.

Feb 7, 2006
Torres-Bowles to Headline WEC 40

World Extreme Cagefighting bantamweight champion Miguel Torres will defend his crown against unbeaten challenger Brian Bowles at WEC 40 on April 5 at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago. The WEC made the matchup official on Tuesday.

Torres (35-1), one of the sport’s most accomplished and revered competitors, will carry an incredible 16-fight winning streak into his third title defense. The 28-year-old East Chicago, Ind., native last competed in December when he throttled the previously undefeated Manny Tapia at WEC 37, burying the Californian under a second-round barrage of punches and elbows. Torres has finished his last 11 opponents -- six of them inside one round -- and has not tasted defeat in more than five years.

A professional for only three years, Bowles (7-0) has enjoyed a meteoric rise up the 135-pound charts. The 28-year-old West Virginia native burst on the scene in 2007 with wins against former King of the Cage lightweight champion Charlie Valencia and world-ranked bantamweight Marcos Galvao. Based out of the American Top Team-affiliated Hardcore Gym in Athens, Ga., Bowles solidified his standing as the top contender to Torres’ throne with a submission victory against talented Brazilian Will Ribeiro at WEC 37. He has never gone the distance as a professional.

Meanwhile, former featherweight title challenger Jeff Curran will make his long-awaited debut at 135 pounds when he meets the fast-rising Joseph Benavidez at WEC 40.

A polished Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt, Curran (29-10-1) has dropped back-to-back fights to the world’s top two featherweights -- Mike Thomas Brown and Urijah Faber -- and has not competed since June. The 31-year-old holds victories against former International Fight League featherweight champion Wagnney Fabiano, Rafael Assuncao and Antonio Carvalho, among others. Curran has secured more than half (18) of his 29 career wins by submission.

Benavidez (9-0), a Faber protégé, made a successful promotional debut at WEC 37, though he was taken the distance for the first time in a unanimous decision victory against Danny Martinez. Still only 24, the Dream veteran cut his teeth inside the Warrior Cup and Palace Fighting Championship promotions. Six of his nine wins have come by submission.

Feb 7, 2006
Freeman Admits to Fraud, Tax Evasion; Faces Jail Time

UFC veteran Ian Freeman faces jail time after failing to declare income earned from professional fights he competed in and other fight-related employment between 2003-2005. The Durham Crown Court in Sunderland, England, will sentence Freeman on March 3.

Freeman plead guilty to “three charges of making a false statement, one charge of fraudulently evading income tax, and one charge of making a false statement to obtain a mortgage,” according to a Feb. 3 article in the Sunderland Echo. Freeman, 41, is a Sunderland native and a father of three.

Freeman is being penalized for unpaid tax income and inaccurate tax credit paid between January 2003 and July 2006, totaling £44,178 ($65,312.50 USD).

Freeman’s wife Angela also admitted to three charges of making false statements, including submitting an inaccurate application for tax credit, according to the article. Mrs. Freeman will receive a “suspended sentence” and will not serve jail time.

“I've never held a full time job,” Freeman wrote in an email to Sherdog.com last week. “All I've known is doorman work or fighting and I last worked the doors over 10 years ago. I know nothing about taxes and what I need to do to pay the tax man.”

Freeman (19-7-1), who made six appearances in the Octagon up until 2003, said his confusion came from fighting in the U.S., where taxes were withheld before payment, and then in his homeland, where taxes are to be paid by the person of his own accord.

“From 2003 to the end of 2004, I fought in the UK and when I received my purse money, I automatically accepted it was all mine,” he wrote. “The government do not tax you like the USA. You have to pay the taxman yourself in England. So due to ignorance of the law, I never paid taxes.”

Freeman said he paid his taxes from 2006 on when he became self-employed.

“I had broken law, but not to my knowledge,” wrote Freeman. “Ignorance is not a defense, so I had to plead guilty. I wish I knew then what I know now.”

Freeman retired from active competition in 2005, but returned a year later for three fights with Cage Rage in London. Freeman was also hired as a coach for a UK squad in the International Fight League, but the promotion went under before his team could debut. Freeman last competed for UK’s Cage Rage in May 2008, earning a unanimous decision over Paul Cahoon in a light heavyweight championship bout.

Freeman plans to fulfill ring announcer duties for M-1 Challenge’s season two opener on Feb. 21 in Seattle.

Feb 7, 2006
Shamrock Sees New Prototype in GSP

Frank Shamrock knows a little something about legacy.

In wake of Georges St. Pierre’s clear-cut, albeit controversial, victory over B.J. Penn at UFC 94 last month, Shamrock believes the sport of mixed martial arts has found its next superstar. St. Pierre, who was later accused of “greasing,” smashed Penn over the course of their four-round affair at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

“I think he’s your guy,” Shamrock said. “I wish he spoke better English; he’d certainly cross over easier. He’s your closest guy.”

Heralded as MMA’s first complete fighter, Shamrock was undefeated in five UFC appearances. He sees something special in St. Pierre, a dynamic 27-year-old entrenched near the top of every reputable pound-for-pound list.

“I enjoy watching him because he’s technically sound in the important areas, and he’s very efficient with his movements. He creates lots of energy; he uses constant motion and energy in his attacks,” Shamrock said. “He keeps the rest of it really simple -- basics that are highly effective. Every time he fights you can see he’s learned something.”

Placed second in Sherdog.com’s pound-for-pound rankings, the French-Canadian has won nine out of his last 10 bouts and five in a row. Shamrock, the former Strikeforce middleweight champion, believes straight-forward technique in synergy elevates St. Pierre.

“It’s refining the basics and then joining them together,” he said. “We have great wrestlers, we have great strikers, we have great jiu-jitsu guys; there are very few guys who have connected all the parts. I was one of the early guys. He’s one of the new guys, but all of his stuff connects. The shots go into the takedowns go into the block go into the hold.”

Shamrock’s main concern with the Vaseline controversy surrounding the 170-pound king revolves around the efficiency of the athletic commissions and overseers of the sport. In addition, St. Pierre’s image may take a significant hit. Whatever the outcome, Shamrock knows St. Pierre’s talents will continue to propel him in the sport.

Shamrock sizes up the Penn-St. Pierre rematch and another potential mega fight between St. Pierre and middleweight killer Anderson Silva -- a man he refers to as “a freakin’ bad ass” -- in much the same way.

“We’ve definitely reached that point, where a punch plus 10 more pounds is a little too much,” Shamrock said.

Still, the former King of Pancrase insists he will fork over the “85 dollars or whatever it costs now” to watch St. Pierre and Silva collide. Another mega fight piques his interest, too, “but I don’t know if [St. Pierre] and I will end up together. I have the utmost respect for him. I think he’s a great martial artist.”

Long known for his studious approach to the game, Shamrock cross trained before it was in vogue. In examining St. Pierre, the MMA pioneer sees a similar kind of fighter.

“He’s probably better looking than me,” Shamrock said. “I would say, technically, if I was looking at the merits of his technical skill, I think he’s the guy [closest] to having it -- one game. I don’t know if that’s closest to me or nearest me, but he’s the closest to putting it all together.”

Shamrock appreciates not only St. Pierre’s in-cage approach but his humble persona outside of the ring. Improving English stands as perhaps the only obstacle to St. Pierre achieving true crossover stardom.

“The next level for us is for talent to be able to represent themselves at the level of fame and notoriety we are now achieving,” Shamrock said.

Shamrock believes the key to cultivating new, multi-dimensional talents like St. Pierre lies in community programs. Improved feeder systems are a must, according to the former UFC champion. Having fighters ascend through amateur ranks will ensure they are not rushed to the big stage, said Shamrock, who sees that step as paramount in the future of the sport.

“We developed the television, we developed the pay-per-view, we developed the spectacle,” said Shamrock, adding that the sporting aspect of MMA came after the fact.

Shamrock wants to continue to shape the sport -- he now has three gyms in the San Jose area -- as an entertainer, commentator and fighter. Next up is a bout against Nick Diaz to headline Strikeforce’s April 11 event on Showtime. Rematches with reigning Strikeforce middleweight champion Cung Le and Tito Ortiz remain possibilities down the line, and his brother, Ken, is a target as well.

“I’m gonna smash everybody,” said Shamrock, never one to lack confidence. “I’m tired of entertaining for the sake of entertainment. Now I’m just gonna destroy everybody, and people can just be entertained by that. I’ve decided my limbs are too valuable to be breaking for the entertainment of fans. I’m gonna break other people’s limbs.”

Feb 7, 2006
SERRA LOOKS FORWARD TO 2009, HUGHES FIGHT

While limited to only one fight in 2008, it could be said that last year was possibly the most important of former Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight titleholder Matt Serra’s career.

After shocking the MMA world with his win over Georges St. Pierre at UFC 69 in April of 2007, he entered last year with a newfound level of respect for how he rose to the top of the welterweight division, via hard work and dedication.

It was with that same admiration that fans continued to support him after losing to St. Pierre in their rematch at UFC 83, cementing his place as one of the sport’s most popular fighters.

“2008 was a great year for me besides losing to Georges,” chuckled Serra with his usual good-humored nature. “Besides from that, personally – my schools, my family, everything is great – I always try to see the positive things.”

After missing much of the last couple years due to injury, he is eager to return to action this spring.

“I had a bruised ulnar nerve which took a lot of time for me to get back to rolling or sparring,” he said. “I needed to just rest my right elbow and I couldn’t do anything too physical as far as grappling or sparring or any kind of thing.

“In two years or whatever I fought twice, which isn’t something you plan on. Injuries are a part of a game; and not only that, but Matt Hughes was injured, so I figure that worked out well. That was the next fight I wanted regardless anyways.”

As Serra recently confirmed, it appears he’ll have his long awaited showdown with his fellow “Ultimate Fighter Season 6” coach, Matt Hughes, in Las Vegas on May 23.

After the disappointing loss to Georges St. Pierre last April, he is determined to show people what he’s truly capable of in his return to MMA.

“Obviously when you’re coming off a loss and you feel you didn’t fight to the best of your ability or was the best example of what you can do, of course you want to showcase other skills,” he stated. “Do I feel like I can do better than in my last fight? Yes, in every area.

“That was his night and he was definitely on, his timing was on and he had the right strategy. It was just not my night and no excuses are to be made. So, do I feel like I could have had a better showing or I am better than that? Of course I do.”

Not only is Serra looking to make 2009 a breakout year for himself, he’s also got big plans for the Serra-Longo Fight Team.

“We’ve definitely got some tough up and coming fighters appearing on local shows that you’ll be hearing a lot more about in the upcoming months,” he stated. “I have a lot of young guys that are fighting on Lou Neglia’s (Ring of Combat) Show at the Tropicana on February 20.

“Other than that, I believe (Pete) Sell’s fighting Matt Brown (at UFC 96 on March 7 in Columbus, Ohio). It’s definitely an awesome match-up and I’m excited for ‘Drago’ for that. The team’s never looked better – everybody is just growing and we’ve got the next generation of fighters coming up, and it’s really exciting.”

After years of working hard to find his way to the top, Serra now looks to make the best of all opportunities, personal and professional; proving he belongs at the pinnacle of the sport for some time to come.

“Definitely keep an eye out on the team; we’re going to make big waves this year,” he concluded. “Other than that, just tune in on May 23 in Vegas. I’m looking forward to my fight with Hughes, I think it’s a fight we both personally want, the fans want, and is unfinished business.

“I’m excited about it and it’s all I’m thinking about right now. I’m training, training, and more training; and I’m going in there the best I’ve ever looked.”

Feb 7, 2006
UFC VP MARC RATNER CLARIFIES CORNER CHANGES

The news broke at the UFC Fight Night 17 event last Saturday that a rule change had been made in regards to corner men applying Vaseline to their fighters in between rounds, and that only cut men assigned by the promotion would be allowed to do so going forward.

While the rule change for Florida was correct, UFC vice president of regulatory affairs Marc Ratner spoke to MMAWeekly.com on Tuesday to clarify a few misconceptions about the rule change.

"It's not the UFC, it's the commission that will decide exactly what can be done," Ratner said in an exclusive interview. "Some of that stuff will be brought up at the ABC meetings with all the commissions, but there has been no official UFC policy."

Ratner went onto say that each commission will have the final say in what is or is not allowed to happen during an event when it comes to rules for the corner men and cut men involved in the fight.

"We're going to leave it up to each commission, obviously. We're going to be very vigilant and we're going to let all the fighters know what we expect, which we've always done. So nothing really has changed," he said. "The Nevada commission, they'll do whatever disciplinary action or hearings they want, and we want a level playing field, it's as simple as that."

The upcoming UFC 95 event in London will come directly under the direction of Ratner himself, who serves as the lead in overseeing the regulations for the UFC in England, as the country currently has no official governing body over mixed martial arts.

"England, we'll talk to all the corner people and explain to them the rules and we'll make sure that it will not happen again," Ratner commented. "I'll be very vigilant there."

Ultimately, when asked if the decision lies in the hands of the athletic commissions in the sanctioned states in the U.S. as to how they deal with the corners and cut men, Ratner replied, "that's correct."

The UFC will hold their next event in the United States on March 7 in Columbus under the regulation and sanctioning of the state of Ohio. There is no word yet on what ruling they will use in regards to this situation.

Feb 7, 2006
Affliction Entertainment Granted Promoter's License In CA

Squeezed into the "hearing of the century" with plaster-fisted Antonio Margarito on Tuesday in Van Nuys, Calif., the California State Athletic Commission's addressed two small line items in a daylong meeting.

Affliction Entertainment, the muscle behind "Banned" and "Day of Reckoning," was permanently granted the ability to act as the "promoter of record" for its California based shows. Until Tuesday, the company had used the promoter's license of veteran boxing and MMA promoter Roy Englebrecht.

Clifton Chason, CEO of Affliction Entertainment, attended the meeting and was very positive about his company's future. He endorsed a July return for the upstart MMA show, saying "it's a date that's worked for us in the past," and said the company was in the midst of an aggressive expansion of their clothing line.

In other CSAC news, the commission re-formed a committee to "explore" amateur MMA in the Golden State. Advocates in attendance included Juanito Ibarra (who's soon opening his own gym in Orange County), "Big" John McCarthy, and former Elite XC executives JT Steele and Jeremy Lappen. The original push for amateur MMA stalled when its committee, former Executive Officer Armando Garcia, resigned suddenly in November.

Feb 7, 2006
Coker: Le/Shamrock 2 Will Happen in 09

Cung Le has reportedly earned raves for his acting chops in no less than 3 major motion pictures currently in post production, but truth be told, he misses fighting.

"He's enjoying his movie star career, and he's had some success at it, and he's doing very well," said Scott Coker, CEO of new/old-kid-on-the-block Strikeforce. "We're very happy for him. I talked to him about a week ago and he's itching to get back into the cage."

An elbow injury is currently keeping Le from training, but according to Coker, his schedule is open. Once healed, he should re-emerge in his adopted sport.

"Otherwise, he would be fighting on this show (in April)," said Coker of Strikeforce's Showtime event on the 11th. "But you will see Cung Le back in the cage in Strikeforce at least two times before the end of the year."

Coker also says a rematch with Frank Shamrock, from whom Le took the Strikeforce middleweight title in a fight that broke Shamrock's arm, is inevitable.

"I haven't sat down and talked to Frank about it, but the fight between Frank and Cung, number 2, is a fight that should actually happen before the end of 09," confirmed Coker.

Feb 7, 2006
Strikeforce Meet The Press

Late last week, it was announced that Showtime Networks, Inc. and world championship mixed martial arts (MMA) event producer Strikeforce have joined forces to create an all-new series of MMA events that will air live on SHOWTIME® as part of the SHOWTIME Sports franchise.

The multi-year agreement calls for SHOWTIME to produce and televise up to 16 live events per year including Strikeforce world championship events as well as a series dedicated to showcasing up-and-coming fighters in the sport.

The initial Strikeforce event on SHOWTIME is Saturday, April 11 (10 p.m. ET/PT, delayed on the west coast) at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., and will feature legendary MMA pioneer Frank Shamrock against world-class Nick Diaz in the main event at a catchweight of 179 pounds.

Hershman, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Sports and Event Programming, Showtime Networks Inc., was responsible for pioneering the network’s entry into MMA in 2007, when SHOWTIME became the first premium network to televise the explosive sport.

Coker, the Strikeforce founder and CEO, has promoted MMA for more than 23 years. His 14-year-old Strikeforce organization has been a major player in MMA since a March 2006 event drew a capacity crowd of 18,265 at San Jose’s HP Pavilion. The live gate figure also broke the then-all-time record for attendance at an MMA event held in North America.

The three sat down with the national media to answer some of the pressing questions about the deal and athey also discussed the pcoming April 11th card on Showtime. Here are some of the highlights:

SCOTT COKER:

We had the opportunity to work with SHOWTIME on the Shamrock vs. Baroni fight in June of 2007 and it was a great success. It was a great matchup. We went on to promote another event with SHOWTIME, which was the he Shamrock vs. Cung Le fight. It was very well attended, attendance was over 15,000. It was an amazing battle. At that point we said MMA is here to stay.

This is a monumental event for our company. We look forward to putting on the best MMA events in the history of Strikeforce. With the two rosters combined, we have a roster that makes for a lot of compelling matchups. We look forward to put on some amazing events and we look forward to moving forward.

KEN HERSHMAN:

We’ve had MMA on the network since 2007. That (EliteXC) programming was actually very successful despite ProElite’s financial struggles. One thing that we’re very proud of is that we always put on compelling contests that are very well received by our subscribers.

We’ve been in boxing the last 20-plus years. We expected MMA to start off slowly until people caught up, and I’d have to say that that’s not the case. It’s right up there with some of our highest rated sports programming.

We’re thrilled to be getting back into this space and equally excited to get back into it with Strikeforce and Scott Coker. There’s no one better and classier in this business. We’re really looking forward to launching this platform together. We now have a great compliment on the network again to our NFL programming and our boxing programming. And I can’t wait until April 11.

FRANK SHAMROCK:

I want to thank SHOWTIME for once again not only taking the risk with MMA but also embracing it wholeheartedly. My experience with Scott Coker is a very long one and a very successful one.

Scott was that guy that got me out, got me back in the cage and got me going again. I put my trust in him and put my faith in him to promote me well and to present us with honor and respect that I think the athletes deserve. In that way I think Scott is a tremendous friend and promoter.

SHOWTIME, man, you guys are good guys. You’re commitment to MMA is honorable. I, as an artist, really, truly appreciate that. It’s been 15 years since I’ve been a professional mixed martial artist and I can’t imagine having another job or wanting one.

(For) April 11, they called me and I took my suit off and put my training clothes on. One thing Strikeforce is really good at and SHOWTIME is really good at is making and booking exciting fights. My opponent for April 11 is an exciting fighter. He’s a guy who throws, talks trash and on April 11, I’m going to knock him out. And his name is Nick Diaz.

Many of you guys know him. He’s sort of the other bad boy that I haven’t beat down yet. But come April 11 we’ll take care of that.

QUESTIONS:

Do you plan to continue to cross promote?

SCOTT COKER:

We haven’t had the sit down with Ken and the guys at SHOWTIME, but my thought is that the co-promotion fights that we did together with EliteXC and Gary Shaw were probably two of the best fights we’ve ever done. When organizations get together and have compelling matchups that make sense and are relevant that work out in the end for both fighters and all parties, I feel why wouldn’t we? I think if it’s good for business that I will support it. But it’s something we still have to iron out.

On fighting Ken Shamrock.

FRANK SHAMROCK:

I do plan to fight more often. I had a program which was kind of fighting twice a year, but think I need to tie them a little closer so I don’t get out of shape.

In reference to fighting Ken, it’s a fight I’d always want to do. I think it’s a very compelling story. Ken’s going through some personal and emotional problems right now and we’re letting him do that. But this fight is something that is very personal for me. I think it’s very important that we tell the story of the sport and the Shamrock family and what type of influence the family has had on the sport. I think it’s important that I kick his butt, but right now we’re putting it on the back burner.

What went into Shamrock-Diaz?

KEN HERSHMAN:

Everything I’ve seen from Frank is there is never a dull moment. With Nick, you know what you’re getting from him. He’s just going to come at you and not stop.

When I program boxing I’m much more involved in the matchmaking. I look for styles that will make compelling contests and will make compelling fights. When we talked to Scott about this matchup this was one of those that was like three seconds. Do it. These guys are going to go at it. It’s going to be fun. Who knows who wins? Frank has to lose some weight and that’s a challenge for him and Nick has to fight a guy that is a legend. So come April 11 all I can say is I won’t miss it.

Has there been Kimbo Slice contact?

HERSHMAN:

Well there is a lot of reasons why (there hasn’t been contact with Kimbo Slice yet). We had to work through the whole EliteXC thing and unwind that transaction. It was a big bit complicated and a bit cumbersome. My hat goes off to Scott and his team for hanging in there. It was a long road, but we got there. And now we just closed this deal a few days back. We’ve already put together an event. Scott’s already matched up the main event and a couple of other cards. Now we’re going to go to the next step, which is to secure those fighters that we want and Kimbo is one that we think we have a future with. We’re going to make every effort to get him done. But there are only so many hours in a day. He’s an important part of where we’re going and we’re going to see if we can line that up with him in the coming weeks.

SCOTT COKER:

We have been in touch with I think half of the fighter roster. Yesterday, I did talk to Kimbo Slice’s lawyer, just to say hello and let him know we will be in touch shortly and that we are very excited to have Kimbo fighting with Strikeforce and getting him back into the cage as soon as possible. My goal is to get these guys back working and back fighting as soon as possible.

We will have reached out to everybody by the end of day tomorrow. And then we’ll start putting the matches together and move forward.

KEN HERSHMAN:

I think that we are going to have at least five major events this year and hopefully at least five of our up-and-comer series which was so successful before. As Scott said, we are going to sit down and go through the calendar and try and space these things out. But you know SHOWTIME hasn’t had MMA on the air with live, new events since September of last year, so we’re chomping at the bit. We can’t wait to get going and we’re looking forward to this April show to kick it off. You’re going to see a number of events in pretty rapid succession thereafter.

CHRIS DEBLASIO:

Just to clarify, there will be the championship level events and the up-and-comer series which is similar to our boxing series ShoBox, which showcases young fighters who are up and coming and trying to make their way to the big time championship fights.

Plans for women’s MMA:

SCOTT COKER:

Being from a martial arts background, we’ve always looked forward to women’s fights. At the end of the day, this is a martial arts contest. I’ve always supported women’s martial arts competitions. MMA is just taking it to the next level. We’ve had some compelling matchups. When you look back at the history of the women’s fights in Strikeforce there are a couple fights that are right up there with the big boys as far as exciting matchups. They can bring it. There’s no difference. A kick is a kick. A punch is a punch. An arm-bar is an arm-bar. If a girl is 125 pounds doing it, it’s still effective.

We’re going to continue supporting women’s MMA and we’re going to be inviting Gina (Carano) to come fight on April 11. And we’ve already got confirmation from (Cris) Cyborg that she is available if we can put that match together. And if not maybe we’ll put Cris Santos-Cyborg on the April 11 card. But those matchups are still to be determined and nothing is confirmed on that end. But we will be supporting women’s MMA in Strikeforce.

What’s the status of Cung Le?

SCOTT COKER:

Cung has been doing his movie star career. He’s had some success with it, he’s doing very well and we’re all happy for him. I talked to him about a week ago and he is itching to get back in the cage. He does have an injury on his elbow right now which is stopping him from fighting in this show. Otherwise, he would be fighting on this show because his schedule is open. He’s just injured. You will see Cung Le back in the cage on Strikeforce at least two times before the end of the year. I haven’t say down and talked to Frank about it, but the fight between Cung and Frank number two is a fight that actually should happen before the end of 2009. We are planning on having Gilbert (Melendez) fight (on April 11).

What is solidified for April 11?

SCOTT COKER:

Frank and Nick are going to be the main event. The other fight that we have matched is Benji Radich, who is an amazing fighter and great striker. He will be fighting Scott Smith, who in the last Strikeforce event knocked out Terry Martin in the first round. Those two guys will probably go right to the center of the cage and start throwing as hard as they can because that’s how they work.

The fighter that we are looking to match is Gilbert Melendez.

What’s the status of Josh Thompson?

SCOTT COKER:

I haven’t sat down with Josh yet, but we would like Josh to fight and the opponent we are going to invite to fight Josh, who is not confirmed, is KJ Noons.

Question on EliteXC Titles:

We should give them the ability to come fight and unify the titles at some point in ’09. We’re offering it to KJ because KJ was the EliteXC champion and Josh Thompson is our champion. That would be an amazing fight and that’s why we’re trying to put that together so we can unify the belt. But to get through all the weight classes that we have and they have, I think it is going to take the remainder of the year.

Announcers and start times:

KEN HERSHMAN:

I think we are going to stick with it the same way we did with EliteXC, which is mostly a 10 p.m. start time, east coast. The announce team we are putting in place as we speak. We haven’t figured out a way to have Frank Shamrock fight and announce at the same time, but I’m sure he’ll figure that out. I think we would like very much to bring Gus Johnson back, who did the CBS shows and is now our main commentator for boxing, and then we’ll round out the crew from there.

Title ramification for catchweight fight between Shamrock and Diaz:

SCOTT COKER:

This fight works because Nick Diaz fights traditionally between as low as 150 and up to 180. He goes back and forth depending on the matchup. He was fighting at a lower rate and I talked to Cesar Gracie (Nick’s trainer) and he said ‘we can’t make that weight anymore so we want to fight at 170.’ That’s were he would like to go back and fight and make his match. As you know, Frank is in the 185-pound weight class.

Putting those two fights together, it just made a lot of sense to me because of the history behind Cesar, the Gracie’s and the Shamrocks. I thought it was a compelling story. And it would be a fantastic matchup because of the styles. That’s why we put that fight together.

We’ve had a few fights at a catchweight, not that many. But once in a while to put one on that’s very special together like we are able to do for the launch with SHOWTIME and do it here, at our home, with Frank and Nick it just made a lot of sense and we’re very excited to do it.

In terms of exclusive fights:

SCOTT COKER:

If we had a fighter under contract but we couldn’t keep them busy then we would let him fight here or there. But based on the schedule, I think we are going to be very busy and we’re going to need the athletes to come participate because we are going to have so many fights. For right now we’re going to need athletes to fill these slots.

Alistair Overeem (Strikeforce heavyweight champion) will be fighting for Strikeforce. The question is when? I’m hoping to get him back before the end of the year. He’s just had a very busy schedule in Japan and fighting in Europe. One of my top priorities is trying to work out his next fight with us.

Kimbo against Bob Sapp?

SCOTT COKER:

That fight was just a conceptual fight. How great would it be if Kimbo and Bob could ever work out the weight and have that fight? I think it would be an entertaining fight to say the least. But by no means was that something that was contracted or talked about with both sides. It was just a “what if.”

Does Shamrock have the need or desire to avenge the loss to Cung Le?

FRANK SHAMROCK:

A need or desire, no. They’d probably pay well very well and it would probably be the fight of the year again. Other than that, fighting is fighting to me. It’s a transaction between two artists and somebody wins.

Shamrock’s comments on Nick Diaz:

FRANK SHAMROCK:

I do know Nick personally. It’s rare that I do know fighters on a social level. Nick Diaz is very similar to me. He grew up in a broken home and had abusive parents and really had a tough childhood. He and I have that in common and we’ve spoken about it a few times. He’s also gone on his MMA quest and traveled around to all the gyms. He ended up with my father for a minute training with him. So we have common ties that tie us together. I know for a fact hat he wasn’t too happy when I knocked out his coach Cesar and he said some words afterward that got him into this fight. But we’re going to fight and I don’t care about Nick. He’s a nice guy and I’m going to knock him out. Then I’ll move onto the next one.

Question about ProElite:

KEN HERSHMAN:

The reality of the situation is that ProElite ran into funding problems as many, many companies much bigger and far flung are in this world today. We had to figure out a way to unwind the relationship in a way that worked for everybody and that allowed MMA to have a life and to continue on SHOWTIME. That was very important to me and it was very important to SHOWTIME that we continue to showcase this programming for our subscribers.

Absolutely we had a say in that (the ProElite deal with Strikeforce). We were a stockholder number one and we had a programming agreement. We had to be very comfortable with the partner we were going to continue with. We absolutely had input there and we’re very happy with the way it worked out.

Why Strikeforce?

KEN HERSHAMN:

There were a lot of factors that went into it. First and foremost, we wanted stability that I think Strikeforce has demonstrated in their long tenure of operating successfully. We like their roster of fighters and we like the combination of rosters between the EliteXC fighters that we’re picking up and their current fighters. It presented a lot of compelling content in a very short time frame for us, so we didn’t have a building process.

What did you learn from failures of EliteXC?

KEN HERSHMAN:

They learned a lot as we did throughout this process about expansion too quick, too much, too fast. Things like that we’ll apply here. We just want to have a steady partner. We want to put on great shows. The benefit of our model and Strikeforce’s model is we’re not dependent on pay-per-view. So we don’t have to go out there month in and month out and charge our fans $40 or $50 to see our content. You get SHOWTIME, you can watch them every month, month in and month out. We think we have a really good model that will allow us to grow in the future and we’re looking forward to it.

Exclusive deal with Strikeforce?

KEN HERSHMAN:

We weren’t exclusive to EliteXC either and we’re not exclusive with Strikeforce. But I will tell you that when we’re in with a partner, we’re in with a partner. We feel like we’re going to be doing a lot with Scott. I’m not sure we have the capacity or the desire to do anything with anyone else. If somebody came along with something compelling we would examine it and also talk with Scott about how he felt about it because that’s the type of partnership we’re going to have.

What synergy is there between boxing and MMA?

KEN HERSHMAN:

I think that when we looked at our sports platform and the ways to expand it we looked at boxing and that is, in essence, one of the original extreme sports. Adding mixed martial arts, to me, is a very natural extension of that. Obviously that sport has evolved and developed in a very quick fashion and has caught the attention of a young demographic, which we will see. And we have the NFL, which, on a lot of levels, is as extreme and challenging of a sport as a combat sport. We love the triumvirate of those three together. We think that they all cross-pollinate each other and we expect that fans of one will become fans of each of the other.

Feb 7, 2006
South Carolina Contemplating MMA Legislation

Local media in South Carolina report that legislation legalizing the sport of MMA is up for review there and could be passed this term. On an encouraging note there looks to be broad support behind the bill, which bodes well for passage:

A bill allowing mixed martial arts contests in South Carolina has won initial approval.

The increasingly popular sport combines elements of karate, judo, jujitsu and kickboxing. Proponents say mixed martial arts has evolved from its no-holds-barred past to a regulated sport broadcast on TV.

The bill by Republican Rep. Jim Merrill of Daniel Island and co-sponsored by 24 other House members was sent to the full Labor Commerce and Industry Committee on Tuesday.