MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Okami a Contender in Limbo

TOKYO -- After the uproar concerning the middleweight division in wake of UFC 90, one question remains. What happened to Yushin Okami?

Part and parcel of being the most successful Japanese import in the UFC, “Thunder” was seen as next in line to challenge Anderson Silva for the middleweight strap. However, a fractured hand put the Wajutsu Keishukai fighter on the shelf for eight months, clearing the way for Canadian Patrick Cote to take his shot.

“My hand was injured, so it couldn’t be helped,” Okami said. “I wasn’t disappointed that Cote got to fight Silva first. My hand is completely healed and ready to go.”

In the meantime, Okami (22-4) has watched, trained and waited for his eventual return to the Octagon. Though slated to face Dean Lister at UFC 92 “The Ultimate 2008” on Dec. 27 in Las Vegas, he still keeps a keen eye on Silva. In his mind, the champion’s latest performance left a lot to be desired.

“It didn’t look like Silva’s best performance,” Okami said. “I thought that his behavior came from his confidence in his own strength.”

Silva’s actions during the two-and-a-half-round title bout garnered criticism from a large segment of the mixed martial arts community. Okami’s opinion places him in the opposite camp, however, as he points to Silva’s technical superiority over the Canadian striker as the probable reason for his behavior.

“I am aware [of the criticism Silva has received],” he said. “I think that because Silva has fought so many times, it may have been difficult to maintain his motivation.”

Whether by his own merit or not, Cote became the only person to take Silva to a third round in the Octagon. It has become part of the rallying cry for Cote and his supporters in calling for an immediate rematch with the champion. Their first encounter ended abruptly when Cote collapsed to the canvas, stricken by a fight-ending knee injury.

Okami has a different view.

“As the fight went on,” he said, “I think Cote was unable to do much. A rematch would be too soon.”

Immediately after Cote’s technical knockout loss to Silva, the implication was that, barring an immediate rematch, Okami would take his previous spot in line as the top middleweight title contender. While Cote’s recovery time likely prohibits him from entering the cage for the rematch anytime soon, recent rumors pointing to Chael Sonnen and Chuck Liddell as potential opponents for Silva mean a title shot may not be in the Japanese fighter’s future after all.

“I did not know [about the rumors], but I am going to fight with whomever I am matched up with,” Okami said. “I don't think [Zuffa] promised me Silva.”

Okami has also heard Silva’s talk of retirement.

“I don’t know whether it’s true or not,” he said. “I just hope he retires after we fight.”

Though Okami’s immediate future does not seem to hold a championship bout he was all but promised before injuring his hand earlier this year, his next test in the Octagon at UFC 92 will be stern enough. One of the world’s premier submission grapplers, Lister (11-5) has never been finished in 16 professional bouts and has rattled off four wins in five fights, losing only to Nate Marquardt.

Aware that his absence from the cage has likely distanced him from the MMA community’s collective memory, Okami acknowledges the fact that he must make an impact against yet another strong middleweight in Lister.

“Lister’s got a lot of power and good submissions,” he said. “I want to make it a good fight, so I’m going to go in and do my best to finish him.”

Okami’s success in the Octagon -- his only loss in seven fights came by decision to former 185-pound king Rich Franklin -- has earned him his place as a top middleweight. Zuffa’s recent announcement that the Lister-Okami bout would be placed on the untelevised undercard at UFC 92 prompted fans to voice displeasure at the decision; it again elbows the man many view as the number one contender out of the spotlight.

The 27-year-old, who has not competed since he knocked out the late Evan Tanner at UFC 82 in March, was unaware he had supporters abroad.

“I am already very happy to get support from Japanese fans, but I am also very happy to hear that I get support from fans overseas,” Okami said. “I think that when I do fight Silva, I’ll have to do my best to meet their expectations and win against him.”

Feb 7, 2006
Urijah Faber vs. Jose Aldo likely for WEC's January card

With new WEC featherweight champ Mike Brown on the sidelines due to torn cartilage in his ribs, the organization appears set to offer former champion Urijah Faber (21-2 MMA, 6-1 WEC) a bout with heavy-handed Brazilian Jose Aldo (12-1 MMA, 2-0 WEC) at WEC 38.

Sources close to Aldo first alerted MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) of the potential bout, which has yet to be signed.

Faber has openly requested a rematch with Brown, but the new champ will not be ready in time for a Jan. 25, 2009, date with "The California Kid" in San Diego.

Coming off his upset loss to Brown -- Faber's first in over three years and a span of 14 fights -- the 29-year-old remains one of the most marketable stars for the WEC. While Faber would certainly prefer an immediate shot to regain his title, a chance for him to fight in his home state -- and for the WEC to capitalize on his popularity there -- would seem too good to pass up.

Aldo, a four-year veteran of professional MMA, has defeated Jonathan Brookins and Alexandre Franca Nogueira in his first two bouts with the WEC. Both victories came by way of TKO, marking the 22-year-old's sixth and seventh wins by knockout or TKO in his 13 career bouts. Aldo also holds two submission wins in his young career.

Aldo is currently on a five-fight winning streak, and last tasted defeat against PRIDE and Shooto veteran Luciano Azevedo in November 2005.

Brown recently told MMAjunkie.com he expected to return to action for the WEC at a potential Florida event in March. While a win for Faber against Aldo would certainly leave the door open for a potential rematch, the span between the two cards could prove too short for the former champion depending on the date selected by the WEC.

Brown mentioned featherweight contender Leonard Garcia, who is coming off first-round victories over Jens Pulver and Hiroyuki Takaya, as another possible opponent for his return.

Feb 7, 2006
Joe Riggs victorious despite broken hand at "Strikeforce: Destruction"

Joe Riggs (29-10) has been through more than his share of difficult situations. But at his recent bout with Luke Stewart at "Strikeforce: Destruction," the "Diesel" found himself facing a brand new challenge.

"I broke my hand like the first 10 seconds of the fight," Riggs told TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "It [expletive] sucked.

"I've never broken my hand in a fight. If that's what it feels like, I don't want to do that [expletive]. That hurt."

Riggs said he broke his left hand almost as soon as the bout began. What happened next was far different than the 26-year-old ever imagined.

"The first minute of the fight I threw a counter left hand that hit him right on the forehead and broke it immediately," Riggs said. "I broke my hand before, but never in a fight. For some reason I was under the impression that when you break your hand during a fight, it goes numb. That's a bunch of [expletive]."

Riggs was largely ineffective throughout the opening five minutes, and the frustration of the situation was evident on his face. The Arizona native said the pain began to subside as the first round came to a close.

"It numbed up right towards the end of the first round," Riggs said. "But until then I couldn't defend a takedown, I couldn't get any wrist control. I couldn't do anything. I was Captain Hook in there, man. A one armed man."

As Riggs was able to regain use of his hand, the seven-year veteran came out in the second round with renewed vigor. A series of punches from the feet saw Riggs force referee "Big" John McCarthy to make his first stoppage in nearly a year.

After the fight, Riggs discovered the injury was severe enough to require surgery. While the procedure was a success, Riggs -- who has dealt with addiction to painkillers in recent years -- has struggled with the early stages of the recovery process.

"I had hand surgery [Sunday morning]," Riggs said. "I had six screws put it in. It's hell. I'm trying my hardest not to take any painkillers. I'm in hell. It's not good."

Despite the difficulty facing Riggs now, the Arizona native is excited about how quickly he'll be able to return.

"They wanted to put a couple screws in my finger because I broke my finger, too," Riggs said. "I was like, '[Expletive], I'm done. It's going to be a long time. But the doctor said February I should be ready to go again. I should be ready to fight. I was happy to hear that."

And though Riggs will be on the shelf for the next three months, the UFC, WEC, Strikeforce and Rage in the Cage veteran can take comfort in lessons learned about his own character.

"In my own mind you always like to say, 'If I had a broken hand, [expletive] yeah I'd be be able to fight and persevere,'" Riggs said. "You always like to say that, but you never know until you do it.

"So when you do something like that and you pass the test, it's always gratifying. It feels good to get a win like that."

In a highly entertaining interview, Riggs also discussed his feelings on the current state of the California State Athletic Commission, his current contract status, personal problems near his Arizona home and much, much more. To hear the full interview, download Monday's edition of TAGG Radio, available for free in the TAGG Radio archives.

Feb 7, 2006
Rick Roufus eyes future after inconsistent first year in MMA

Rick Roufus' (4-4) transition from world-champion kickboxer to first-time mixed martial artist has been an exercise in patience.

But that's nothing new to the 41-year-old, who has been down this path before.

In 1995, the decorated kickboxer announced his intentions to try something new. He shelved the kicking part of his chosen profession to concentrate exclusively on boxing. Roufus enjoyed a measure of success as a conventional boxer, compiling a 13-5-1 record with 11 knockouts. He also won the WBC Continental Americas cruiserweight title in 1996.

However, Roufus was never able to ascend to boxing's upper echelon. He returned to kickboxing in 1998 and regained his championship groove, winning two more major titles.

With a record of 57-7 and six world titles, Roufus remains one of the best kickboxers of all time.

With his legacy in the sport secured, Roufus sought a new challenge this year, taking aim at MMA. His debut lasted less than two minutes, as veteran Maurice Smith welcomed him to the cage with an armbar submission on a Strikeforce card in February.

An undeterred Roufus fought five weeks later and notched his first victory -- a unanimous decision over Michael Buell. Roufus went on to fight six more times this year. He likely will finish 2008 with a record of 4-4, along with a sense of optimism about the future.

"I'm not a quitter," said Roufus. "I didn't quit when I lost to Maurice. I'm this close. The ground (game) is coming, and a little bit more (experience), and I should be able to go to the next step. It's just like stand-up. I don't even think when I'm out there, it just comes natural. That's what has to happen with the ground."

Roufus joined the Lion's Den last spring and has been training at the team's Scottsdale, Ariz., facility where he is also the head kickboxing instructor. His stable of training partners includes UFC veteran Edwin Dewees and wrestlers from Arizona State.

In his last bout in October against Hector Ramirez at SuperFights MMA's "Night of Combat II," Roufus showed flashes of his MMA potential. He got the better of the stand-up exchanges in the first round and exhibited improved all-around defense. However, he still wound up losing a unanimous decision.

"It's just going to take some time," Roufus said. "These guys have been wrestling since they were in high school. I mean, a guy defends single leg, double leg like nothing. For me, that's something totally new."

At this time, Roufus doesn't have his next fight lined up. With increasingly fewer promotional options, it can be challenging for a free agent to nail down steady work. Roufus has fought thus far in mostly smaller shows and desires an opportunity on a bigger stage.

"I'd love to go to UFC, Affliction," he said. "If UFC is listening, ... I mean, hey, I think my ground has come a lot farther than Houston Alexander's at this point. I'd like at least a shot to prove my worth."

Feb 7, 2006
MILETICH HEADS ADRENALINE MMA 2 FIGHT CARD

Mixed martial arts legend Pat Miletich on Dec. 11 will return to active competition for the first time in more than two years. He faces former EliteXC fighter Thomas "Wildman" Denny in the main event of Adrenaline MMA's sophomore effort at the i wireless Center in Moline, Ill.

Now known for producing some of the top fighters in the world, Miletich's last effort was a loss to Renzo Gracie during their tenure as coaches in the International Fight League (IFL). Prior to that, he lost to Matt Lindland at UFC 36 in 2002.

Though much more active than Miletich in recent years, Denny is also a veteran fighter who is looking to get back on the winning track. He gave a strong effort against Nick Diaz in July, but came up short, losing by TKO in the second round.

"Denny comes out swinging, so this will be an action-packed fight," Miletich said recently. "His last fight on Showtime was awesome... he really took it to Nick Diaz and the crowd was going crazy."

The main portion of Adrenaline MMA 2 features several other Miletich trained fighters and a smattering of IFL veterans. The main card features seven bouts that are scheduled to air live on HDNet. There is also a three-fight undercard.

MAIN CARD (on HDNet):
-Thomas Denny vs. Pat Miletich
-Chris Guillen vs. Ben Rothwell
-Braden Bice vs. Michael Russow
-Derrick Mehmen vs. Mike Ciesnolevicz
-Dan Loman vs. Gabe Lemley
-Geno Roderick vs. Ryan McGivern
-Pat Curran vs. Ramiro Hernandez

PRELIMINARY BOUTS:
-Ryan Williams vs. Jesse Lennox
-Billy Kidd vs. LC Davis
-Danny Rodriguez vs. Jacob Hey

Feb 7, 2006
SCOTT SMITH HOPES FOR HOME WITH STRIKEFORCE

Scott Smith made short work of Terry Martin at Strikeforce on Friday night in San Jose, Calif., finishing the Chicago middleweight in just 24 seconds. It was a one-fight deal for him with Strikeforce, but Smith hopes to extent his relationship with the California-based mixed martial arts promotion.

"I knew once I landed one punch he was going to try to take it to the ground," commented Smith about his quick victory over Martin. "So, I wanted to make it worth his while."

To protect his healing left hand, Smith had no intentions of using it against Martin. "I had no intentions on throwing any left hooks. I broke my hand throwing a left hook in my last fight. I've got two screws in my hand right now, but for some reason I just felt that left hook and straight right-hand. I pawed that left hook out there a couple of times and it set it up perfectly. I stepped right in with the right-hand."

"It's kind of weird," added the 29-year old fighter. "You have this game plan. It's all supposed to be left switch-kicks to the head, to the body. For some reason I just went in there and it was just a target that said left-hook, straight-right."

Smith was a victim of the recent collapse of ProElite, the parent company of the EliteXC fight promotion. Having had his scheduled EliteXC bout canceled, Smith made the move to Strikeforce and hopes to make it his new home.

"It was a one-fight deal just because we had to throw it together so fast. I would love to stick with Strikeforce," Smith told MMAWeekly.com.

"There's a lot of fun fights out there. There's nobody in particular... Frank Shamrock would be a really great fight, obviously Cung Le," commented Smith on possible match ups for him in Strikeforce. "There's a lot of great 185-pounders out there that would make for a fun fight."

Feb 7, 2006
FLORIAN WILLING TO WAIT FOR PENN-GSP OUTCOME

UFC president Dana White announced prior to UFC 91 that the winner between Kenny Florian and Joe Stevenson would receive a shot at the 155-pound divisional title currently held by B.J. Penn. With a stunning first round submission win, Florian cemented himself as the No. 1 contender in the division, but with Penn's move up to 170 pounds for his next fight is the Boston fighter willing to wait for a title shot?

Speaking with MMAWeekly Radio on Monday night, Florian says that he's already talked with the UFC about what happens next and leaves it in their hands to decide.

"If the UFC makes that decision then that's what I'm going to do," Florian said about waiting for his shot at the title. "I'm going to stay busy definitely in the gym. I don't really know what they have planned. If that's the way it's going to go down, I'll definitely be willing to wait a little bit. It's going to be tough, but we'll see."

Before any decisions are made whether he would take another fight before a title shot, Florian says that he has to wait until at least after Jan. 31 to figure things out.

"At the end of the day, I think that's what's going to need to happen. I spoke a little to Dana White about it, so I think that's what's probably going to happen," he commented. "Wait and see what happens with the B.J.-GSP fight."

Following his impressive win over Stevenson at UFC 91, the former "Ultimate Fighter" season 1 cast member had no problem telling Penn that if he had his choice that would be the next match-up on the docket for him.

Famous for his post fight comments, Florian clarified what he said directly to Penn that night just after the win that gave him No. 1 contender's status.

"As a kid I always loved watching martial arts movies and I always wanted to be that ronin going around, traveling and training with the different masters and showing that you are the true master. In order to do that you had to beat the other masters, you had to beat the best masters in the land, and B.J.'s one of those guys. That's the way I see it," Florian said.

"I like B.J. I definitely didn't want to do it in a disrespectful manner cause I have so much respect for the kid. He's such an awesome fighter, great kid. He's one of those guys to look up to."

Until Jan. 31 Florian will play the waiting game, but with so many unanswered questions surrounding Penn's future after that fight, he also has no problem settling a few other scores.

"Sean Sherk, that's a fight I would love to take," stated Florian. "That fight is one of the ones I really want to show everyone how far I've come. My wrestling's a lot better than that and I'm going to continue to get better at it. There's still so much for me to learn, there's so much for me to improve on, and I'm going to do it."

The first time Florian met Sherk he lost a unanimous decision and the lightweight title that was on the line that night. That loss sent Florian on the path he continues on today.

"I would love to fight Sean Sherk again. I think he's a phenomenal fighter, definitely think he's a Top 10 fighter, no doubt about it, and I've got to thank him," said Florian. "He's the one that really got me to step up my game, really commit myself as a fighter and as an athlete.

"This one would be ten times better and I believe with a different result."

Feb 7, 2006
Hermes Franca vs Joe Lauzon UFC Fight Night 17 bout possible

Hermes Franca (19-7) and Joe Lauzon (17- 4) have been offered bout agreements to compete in a 155-pound match up at UFC Fight Night 17 at The Palms Resort & Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada, on February 7.

MMAmania.com today confirmed that the lightweight bout, which would likely air on the televised Spike TV main card, is currently in the works.

Franca has been on a roller coaster ride during the past 18 months. The former number one contender recently returned from a 12-month steroids suspension, losing to Frank Edgar in his July comeback fight at UFC Fight Night 14.

The Brazilian then rebounded with a win against his former Brazilian jiu-jitsu teacher Marcus Aurelio at UFC 90: “Silva vs. Cote” in October. And shortly thereafter he was arrested in Jupiter, Fla., on suspicion of Driving Under the Influence (DUI).

That case is still pending; however, Franca has insisted that he was exhausted, which caused him to drive erratically. He is innocent until proven guilty.

Lauzon, too, rebounded from a recent loss — a first for him inside the Octagon — to stop Kyle Bradley via technical knockout (strikes) at UFC Fight Night 15 in September. Prior to the win, he was one of the many recent victims of Kenny Florian courtesy of a second round technical knockout loss at UFC Fight Night 13 back in April.

“J-Lau” was the favorite to win The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 5 season before meeting up with Manny Gamburyan in the semifinals. He has four wins in five attempts inside the Octagon.

Feb 7, 2006
Michael Bisping can beat both Rich Franklin and Dan Henderson

“I’d love to fight [Rich Franklin]. But I’d love to fight Henderson too. They’re household names and legends of the sport and it would be an honour and a privilege to fight one of them. I think I stack up well against them. I’d go out there to win – and I think I could. I think I can beat both of them. It wouldn’t be easy, but my confidence is growing with every fight.”

The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 9 coach and season three light heavyweight winner Michael Bisping talks about his chances against the top fighters in his category (sorta). Interestingly enough, “Ace” and “Hollywood” are set to collide in a 205-pound bout at UFC 93 on January 17, which could determine “The Count’s” opposing coach on the next installment of the mixed martial arts reality series … if the winner wants to compete at 185 pounds and if he wants to serve as coach. There’s a lot of “ifs,” but now that Bisping has ascended to the top of the division he’ll have to go through someone with the ilk of someone like Franklin or Henderson if he wants to earn a title shot in 2009.

Feb 7, 2006
Golden Boy to compete with Affliction after all

Despite a report in the Los Angeles Times last week which stated that a planned welterweight fight between Shane Mosley and Antonio Margarito had been called off, the fight now appears to be on.

According to a report by ESPN boxing reporter Dan Rafael, promoters spent the better part of Monday attempting to save the deal with Mosley and Margarito are now expected to face each other on Jan. 24 at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

Money issues reportedly caused the matchup to initially fall a part but Rafael states that HBO will be putting up additional compensation that will go to Margarito and his promoter, Bob Arum’s Top Rank.

Mosley is promoted by Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions and the company’s CEO, Richard Schaefer, is quoted as referring to the Mosley vs. Margarito matchup as a “done deal.”

Schaefer’s company will essentially be compensating with itself as it will be involved in the production and marketing of Affliction Entertainment’s second-ever mixed martial arts pay-per-view, which is scheduled for the same night as Mosley vs. Margarito at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

Affliction’s PPV, titled “Day of Reckoning,” will be headlined by WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko defending his title vs. former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski. In addition to competing with Margarito vs. Mosley on HBO, the event is likely to face competition from the UFC and Spike TV.

Feb 7, 2006
Ready for Machida, Silva focus title

Ready to face Lyoto Machida at UFC 94, Thiago Silva is 100% recovered from a back injury, which postponed the fight to the beginning of 2009. Training hard at American Top Team, Thiago spoke with TATAME about the next two months, that promises some big changes in the UFC light-heavyweight division. “My category is tough, there are only good guys, top level athletes, and it’s hard… It’s getting closer and only one will pass, we’re in out track. Each one has his goals and it’s not easy”, said Thiago, who’s undefeated in the career after thirteen fights. Analyzing the huge fights in 205 division in December and January, TATAME.com challenged Thiago, and he made his bets in each fight. Starting with the title fight, between the champion Forrest Griffin and the challenger Rashad Evans, Thiago bet: “I think that Rashad is in an excellent phase in his career, I bet on him”, point the Brazilian, who commented the fight between Wanderlei Silva and Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, that happen in the same night. “Of course I’ll cheer for Wanderlei, always to Brazilians. Although I’m making my second fight against Brazilians, I have to cheer to my people…Wanderlei has great conditions to win”, says the ATT athlete. At UFC 93, Maurício “Shogun” Rua comes back to UFC to face Mark Coleman, and Thiago one more time bets in the compatriots. “I already had the opportunity of train with Shogun, he is a very talented guy. He’s coming back now, has been doing great training and has everything to come back well, I believe on him… I think he’ll win this rematch”, opines Thiago. At UFC 94, that closes January in big style, Thiago faces the also unbeaten Lyoto Machida at Las Vegas, and didn’t escape from making bets in his fight too. “I bet on me, of course (laughs). I’m well trained and I’m ready. If the fight was in one week I’d already be ready. It’s an important fight for me, I’m in the moving on and I’m going there to kill or die”, finished.

Feb 7, 2006
SHAWN TOMPKINS: "HE'S ALREADY LIKE A SON TO ME"
link: http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content3870.html?PHPSESSID=611ad3688b7fd877e58be2a262aba8f1
"I moved Junie Browning into my house about a month and a half ago. I've kind of taken him under my wing and kept an eye on his training, career and his (laughs) social life I guess. I see big things from this kid and he's young; he's only 21. I think he just needed the right people to surround him and he's doing a great job. I'm real proud of him," stated Xtreme Couture trainer Shawn Tompkins as he talked about Junie Browning and gave an update on several other fighters he works with, including Randy Couture, Wanderlei Silva, John Alessio, Chris Horodecki and much more. Check it out!

Feb 7, 2006
Promoter’s Spotlight: Monte Cox

It’s hard enough to operate one successful MMA promotion - let alone six - but Monte Cox, the man under today’s spotlight, has done just that.

Monte Cox has been described as “the gold standard in MMA” by UFC matchmaker Joe Silva not just because of the fact that he’s promoted over 500 MMA shows since 1996, but also because he’s managed nearly 60 fighters over the same period – winning seven UFC championship belts along the way.

Longevity and humility are two of the many words that come to mind in today’s spotlight and I sat down with Monte last week to get his thoughts on a variety of topics and issues relating to promoting and managing in mixed martial arts.

The Background

In 1995, Monte Cox, a former professional boxer and then newspaper editor, got wind that a “local tough guy” was about to participate in a “no holds barred” competition called Ultimate Fighting. He was intrigued by the sport and determined to give it a first-hand look.

Cox paid a visit to this local tough guy, Pat Miletich, whom at the time was training for his first competition – Battle of the Masters. Impressed with what he saw, Cox then agreed to accompany Miletich up to Chicago, Illinois to watch his fight.

Soon thereafter, Cox and Miletich returned home to Iowa with the idea to start their own promotion – one that would come to symbolize the longevity and success of both Cox and Miletich in the MMA industry, Extreme Challenge.

The relationship between the two would also serve as the catalyst for Cox to become one the sport’s best and most renowned fighter managers.

The Evolution of Cox’s MMA Business

Since the debut of Extreme Challenge in 1996, Cox has promoted over 500 shows and in 16 different states. If you’ve watched any live MMA in the Mid-West, chances are good that Cox promoted the show as his name is affiliated with many more organizations than just his flagship Extreme Challenge brand – XFO, ICE, Rock Town Showdown, Rumble on the River, and Adrenaline MMA…those are his too.

Even more impressive, however, is the fact that Cox has managed to promote a show at just about every type of venue and level of MMA possible. His events range from low-level MMA shows held at local clubs to high-level, million dollar revenue events at major sports arenas.

However, Cox is quick to point out that his aspirations are not to build any of his promotions into a direct competitor with the UFC, at the sport’s highest level.

“We have never tried to be the big show.” Cox said. “I want to be the show that people go to, to get exposure, to get attention, and then move on to the bigger shows – I don’t mind being the AA or the AAA.”

And there is a certain strategic value to promoting events at the A, AA, and AAA levels of the sport; Cox has essentially built himself a “feeder system” whereby fighters can work their way up from the amateur ranks, to the pros, and then in some cases all the way to the UFC. Not only has this feeder system allowed Cox to supply his organizations with fights, it’s also given him a way to develop fighters as a manager.

“A big difference between me and most of the managers out there is, I’m in [MMA] from the ground floor.” Cox said. “Rich Franklin, he started fighting amateur fights for me and then moved into the pros. I’ve picked every opponent [Franklin] has ever had.”

While the feeder system has played a large role in his success over the past 13 years in the industry, Cox credits his former mentor – an old boxing promoter out of Indianapolis, Fred Burns – with passing on perhaps the most vital approach to promoting and managing fighters: staying humble and trustworthy.

“Everyone liked Fred…that’s the guy that taught me how to do shows.” Cox said. “So, when I started, I said that I’m going to prove that you don’t have to be an asshole to be a promoter.”

“I just think that you treat people like you want to be treated” he added. “People know that when they deal with us, they’re going to be treated fairly.”

Cox’s reputation as a fair, level-headed businessman seems to be paying dividends as he is often approached by different parties looking to start new MMA promotions.

In 2007, the Russian M1 Management Group representing Fedor Emelianenko commissioned Cox to help them build and promote a new MMA organization in North America called M1 Global. While the two parties could never quite get on the same page, Cox regrets nothing as he was able to gain a host of new networking contacts that may allow him to expand his business in the future.

“I made a lot of connections at the CEO level“ Cox said. “That enabled me to cut through a lot of red tape on a bunch of levels. When I want something now, I call the CEO of the company – that guy would have never taken my call before.”

Cox was also fairly complimentary of the Russian management group that has helmed Fedor’s career.
“We didn’t see eye to eye on a lot of things, but I don’t think anybody can say too many negatives about [Fedor’s] management – [Fedor] makes $2.5 million a fight” Cox said. “They’re very shrewd and they’ve done great deals for Fedor – this is a guy that’s probably made over $20 million in his career.”

After M1 Global was dissolved, Cox was approached by another syndicate looking to start a promotion – this time called Adrenaline MMA. In Adrenaline, Cox is given full control of a substantial budget, which allows him to “put together a show that [he] could never afford to do on [his] own.”

The promotion debuted in June with a live HDNet broadcast in front of a near-capacity crowd in Chicago and is now looking to up the ante with its second event on December 11th – ironically, an event that will headlined by Pat Miletich and also feature Ben Rothwell.

Adrenaline made waves through the MMA community last March when Cox signed both Rothwell and Tim Sylvia to multi-fight, six figure contracts. This led many, including myself, to question whether the current business model and economics of Adrenaline could support such large salaries. Cox argues that you need ticket sellers to be successful.

“You have to be smart in what you’re doing, but you have to look at who your ticket sellers are.” Cox said. “Pat Miletich is the greatest ticket seller that I’ve ever run into – the first show we did together he, himself, sold over 4000 tickets.”

Although Sylvia and Rothwell are both fighter clients on Cox’s management side, he also signed them along with Miletich as a means to leverage brand recognition. He’s aiming to compete at that next level just below the UFC along with the likes of Strikeforce , WEC, Affliction, and maybe the MFC.

Interestingly enough, the difference – according to Cox – between shows like Adrenaline and the Maximum Fighting Championship (an organization we featured in our first Promoter Spotlight) is the calibre of fighters used at every event.

“It depends on [the criteria you use to assess levels]: do you go by attendance, or do you go by profitability, or by the level of cards?” Cox said. “[MFC] is not going to call me up and be able to afford Ben Rothwell or Pat Miletich. The last Adrenaline show that we did in Chicago, we spent $600,000 and that’s at a different level than [MFC].”

The Trials and Tribulations of a Fighter Manager

Monte Cox represents another one of those businessmen that “gets it” when it comes to diversifying risk. Being a promoter and a manager has not only created synergies between both of his businesses, but the dual role has also acted as a career hedge of sorts.

“I’ve had years where the shows just weren’t doing well, but the management part was kicking ass” Cox said, and “I’ve had times where the shows just can’t lose, but I can’t get guys fights. So, you just don’t put your eggs all in one basket.”

Under the guidance of Cox, seven different fighters have reached the pinnacle of MMA – a UFC championship title – and so he understands the value of a manager in the fight game.

“I think that anyone that’s making six figures or close to six figures and is still negotiating and doing everything for themselves…that’s silly.” Cox said. “You take a regular guy that’s making $100,000 on his own; if he comes with me I’ll make him $150,000, I’ll take $30,000 of it, and he’s still ahead. Then he gets my support, my expertise, and my knowledge on top of it.”

With the sport’s rapid growth continuing through otherwise tumultuous economic times, the role of a fighter manager is gaining importance. Monte had some great advice for fighters currently searching for the right manager.

“If a guy wants to manage you, ask the guy ‘give me an example of somebody who’s in the same position I’m in right now and how you took them to a successful level.’” Cox said, and “if they haven’t done that then you’re at your own risk.”

The issue of fighter poaching is something of a bother for Cox who has put years of work and guidance into a fighter, only to see him sold on the possibilities of “greener pastures” somewhere else. The offending agent and the fighter are equal parts to blame, but Cox continues to follow his own moral compass.

“I’ve never gone to the UFC to find talent – I’ve found it years before” Cox said. “I find the guys that don’t have management, need guidance, and then take it from there.”

Payout Opinion

They say the true test of any businessman is the ability to replicate success - you’ve got to prove that your first success was not a fluke. In the case of Monte Cox, I think it’s safe to say that he’s proven his competence as both a promoter and a manager several times over.

He’s also an incredibly humble individual and that’s probably because his success is contingent upon his humility. His business depends upon his reputation as a nice, easy-going, and fair businessman.

This level-headed business approach of Monte Cox’s is something that I plan to take away from this interview and keep with me as I move up the MMA industry ladder.

Additionally, the most interesting part of the interview for those aspiring to follow in Monte’s footsteps probably came when I asked him for the top three challenges he faces as a promoter and as a manager.

As a promoter:

1.Scouting and developing talent.
2.Searching for consistency on a show-to-show basis.
3.Finding new markets.
As a manager:

1.The difficulties associated with watching a fighter fall from stardom.
2.Watching out for the poachers.
3.Finding loyal fighters.

Feb 7, 2006
Getting to know Bellator Fighting Championships: Part I

Taking its name from the Latin word for "warrior," the upstart Bellator Fighting Championships will certainly be involved in its share of battles while trying to gain a foothold in an industry that has seen its share of recent failures.

Armed with a television contract with Spanish-language broadcast partner ESPN Deportes, Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney recently discussed in detail with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) his organization's plan for success.

Today we present the first part of a series dedicated to the inner details of the latest promotion trying to establish itself at the national level.

A UNIQUE ANGLE

In the organization's initial press release, Bellator Fighting Championships promised to deliver "a business model unique in the fight industry, yet followed in every other major sport."

The organization began by announcing it would follow an eight-man tournament format in four different weight classes for its initial season. Beginning in April, 12-week-long tournaments in the featherweight, lightweight, welterweight and middleweight divisions will commence, and each tournament champion will net $175,000 for their three months of effort. Beyond the grand prix format used by a handful of other promotions, Rebney explained what makes Bellator Fighting Championship's outlook on successful operations unique.

"I guess there's really a few factors to it," Rebney said. "The uniqueness stems from the fact that we are uniquely focused on the fighters themselves. And I don't say that because we're such great guys that deserve halos over our head.

"From a branding perspective, it's been my belief since I became involved in the fighting sports -- as a manager, as an agent, and as a promoter in the early 1990's -- that the only way to really ensure your long-term success is to put the focus on the fighters. Because ultimately, people are going to watch a TV show, they're going to buy a pay-per-view, they're going to purchase merchandise, and they're going to buy a ticket to an event based on the fighters.

"If you watch ratings and you track pay-per-view buy rates, it really needs to be about the fighters. That's where the focus has to be. And if your business model isn't doing that, and you're not focusing on not just fighters but also really focusing on fighters that are world-class competitors, your life expectancy in this space just isn't going to be that long."

Rebney explained that beyond the new organization's focus on the fighters, an easy-to-understand concept of division champions was a benefit of Bellator Fighting Championship's plan.

"Our focal point is on the fighters that we're promoting," Rebney said. "And then, of course -- this is just something that's been kind of a burr in my hat for an awfully long time -- is that you look at football, basketball, baseball, hockey, soccer, tennis, golf, every sport that we're used to watching, that we grew up as kids watching. Regardless of what your favorite sport is, it follows the same kind of format. Competitors compete as either individuals or teams. The best qualify for the playoffs. If you win in the playoffs you go to a championship or a title game. And if you win the title game, you're the champion.

"If you look at the NFL, a couple of years ago a little teeny small-market team out of Indianapolis wins the NFL title. A few years later the Giants, from the biggest market in the NFL, win the title. But it's objective. And ultimately, the determination of who wins is in their hands."

While the concept seems simple, and some might argue unnecessary to differentiate from MMA's current system, Rebney's citation of a familiar scene lends credence to the impact of a tournament format.

"There's nothing that depresses me more when I watch a fight, whether it's a dark show in front of 300 people, or whether it's a sold-out card -- 18,000 people to the rafters -- than seeing a really great, world-class fighter fight. And then the microphone gets put in front of him and the first thing that he says is he turns to the president or the CEO or the head of an organization and starts begging for a title shot. I've just always felt like that was a disconnect.

"As a fight fan, as a guy that's been in the fight business for a number of years, I just always felt like, 'You know what? At the high level there needs to be objectivity to it.'

"At the elite level, where you're talking about world-class guys, they should be able to control it with their fists, with their feet, with their elbows, with their knees, with their hips. It should be in their hands. Their destiny should be something that they can control. And so when we were modeling [Bellator Fighting Championships] for TV, when we were putting everything together over the last few years, that was really a focus.

"If we're going to crown somebody champion, that person is going to be the best of the best. And they're going to have beaten the best to get there. And ultimately their destiny is going to be in their own hands."

UNIQUE, AND YET STILL FAMILIAR

While Bellator Fighting Championships will look to implement its own unique twist on the already successful sport of MMA, Rebney insisted he will not go wrong where he believes others have: meddling with a formula that has already proven its worth.

"We're not going to tweak [the unifed rules of MMA]," Rebney said. "The reason for that is this: Fans in this country, whether they're hardcore fans that can name every fighter in the space, or whether they're peripheral fans who may have caught one or two of the cable shows, they became fans by watching the UFC. They became fans by becoming familiar with the rules and the guidelines and the parameters and the look and feel of the UFC. So when I look at groups like the IFL and others, who have for the sake of change tried to change the rules -- and change this and change that because they thought it would be an interesting point of difference -- it's a disconnect for me.

"If you have something that is working, and that fans are responding to in a hugely positive way, then don't differentiate from it substantially so that fans have to kind of reconnect."

For Rebney staying true to the mixed martial arts phenomenon means using the universally accepted rules of the sport, as well as the surface that was present when MMA first began to flourish.

"Mixed martial arts to me is a fight that takes place in a cage," Rebney said. "It's very simple. It's very rudimentary. That's where it belongs. And while I have great respect for the fighters that came out of PRIDE Fighting Championships, and that come out of Japan, when I think of mixed martial arts, I think a fight inside of a cage. So we're going to be fighting inside of a cage.

"The rules, the times of the rounds, the weight classes, those are all going to be very standard and what we're all used to seeing, touching, feeling."

Rebney believes that where other groups tried to manipulate the sport in order to gain a unique niche, the tournament style of fighting will be enough to differentiate Bellator Fighting Championships from its competition.

"I think the things that differentiate us are really the ability of the fighters at the very highest level to control their destiny themselves through their fighting ability inside the cage," Rebney said. "And our focus on telling the story behind the fighters so that fans at home can get a much better take and a much better connection with the guys. I don't think it's in any league's best interests, whether it's Bellator Fighting Championships or any other, to try to change the dynamics of the rules and regulations or the times of fights, etc.

"Ultimately the shows and the level of competition will speak for themselves as we get going."

Feb 7, 2006
Lorenzo Borgomeo adds Italian flare to American Top Team

As the growth of MMA continues its global conquest, fighters from around the world are joining the ranks of the top U.S. academies.

The Florida-based American Top Team has quickly established itself as one of the nation's premier training camps. Known for the high-level Brazilian talent that makes up the majority of its roster, the academy has recently received an influx of talent from another soccer-obsessed nation.

While Alessio Sakara was touted by the UFC as an Italian striking expert, it is his best friend, countryman and ATT teammate Lorenzo Borgomeo (4-1) that is making waves at the academy.

"Basically I was busy with K-1 in Europe, because I'm from Rome, Italy," Borgomeo recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "And my best friend Alessio Sakara, the UFC fighter, just told me one day that I was wasting time because MMA now is the sport -- it is the real deal.

"And (Sakara said) that I should try and come to Miami (and ATT) with him and try to start training jiu-jitsu and wrestling and try MMA. I just tried a couple of fights, and I decided that would be my next career."

Borgomeo had European titles during his time in K-1 Europe, but the 170-pounder knew that his future in the sport was limited.

"I fought in K-1, but they are just too big for me," Borgomeo said. "There are no weight classes.

"I tried because of the prestige, but then I understood heavyweights with no weight classes is just too much for me. You remember every punch."

So Borgomeo took his best friend's advice and made to the move to Florida. The 29-year-old doesn't regret his decision.

"To me it was a huge step because I just left all my life, all my family, all my friends there in Italy," Borgomeo said. "But I think the sacrifice worked because I think I am in the best team in the world. I have no doubt of it. And I'd just like to thank all the team for working with me, and my friend Alessio Sakara who let me get in and asked the guys to try my skills to try and get on the team.

"But besides that, I really love Florida because of the weather. So I'm pretty happy about it."

Borgomeo debuted as a professional MMA fighter in April 2007. And despite a training background that consisted solely of striking until just three years ago, Borgomeo won his first three fights by submission.

"When I go to the ground, I can show something, too, because I love jiu-jitsu," Borgomeo said.

Signed with the now-defunct EliteXC, Borgomeo dropped his first bout to Mikey Gomez at the organization's ill-fated October card, "EliteXC: Heat." The Italian import said the loss was an important lesson in his growth as a fighter.

"I got a serious injury the week before, but that doesn't count," Borgomeo said. "My mental game was a little bit affected because I couldn't kick as I normally do. I lost a little bit of confidence in the stand-up fight.

"But I think the level of Mikey Gomez is pretty high. That's something that happens if you accept to fight a guy like him. He a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt, very difficult on the ground. It's something that can happen. I think that if my stand-up game was 100 percent maybe it would have been easier to keep the fight on the stand-up and show my skills more.

"But a fight is a fight. I don't complain. You step in the cage, you win and lose. You just try and show a good fight. Of course everybody wants to win, but sometimes losing happens.

"To me it was a great experience."

With his former employers unable to provide future fights, Borgomeo has remained focused on sharpening his game with his teammates. And though athletes from several continents train together on a daily basis, Borgomeo has worked hard to ensure communication is not an issue.

"Alessio used to live four years in Brazil, so he speaks Portuguese," Borgomeo said. "But for me, learning Portuguese, I spent like one month and then I speak Portuguese. Its pretty similar to Italian. For the American guys, it's a problem. For us Italians, Portuguese and Italian are pretty much the same. So I can speak Portuguese, Spanish, English, and of course Italian."

Regardless of language barriers, surely an Italian and Brazilian could share a grin while discussing soccer?

"All my life was soccer, soccer, soccer," Borgomeo said. "I am so happy to be here (in the U.S.) and not listen to people talking about soccer."

Instead of soccer, Borgomeo has focused his full energy on developing all aspects of his MMA game. Undoubtedly at one of the world's premier locations for learning the sport, Borgomeo has set lofty goals for himself.

"I'm trying to be the best 170-pounder in the world," Borgomeo said. "I need to pay my dues, and to go on and get experience. But I want to be the best 170-pounder in the world.

I am not just here to hang out and do a couple of fights. If it was like that, I would stay in Italy. I leave everything in my hometown to come here. So if I came here, one day I must be the best 170-pounder in the world."

And while the welterweight prospect has much to learn before he is considered among the world's elite, the ATT product promises to remain exciting during his growth process.

"I'm a well-rounded fighter, and I never step back," Borgomeo said. "Win or lose, I never step back."

Feb 7, 2006
Aldo out, Jens Pulver in against Urijah Faber at WEC 38

Despite earlier reports that a Urijah Faber (21-2 MMA, 6-1 WEC) vs. Jose Aldo (12-1 MMA, 2-0 WEC) bout was likely for the WEC's as-yet-unannounced January card, sources close to the bout have now revealed that Faber will instead take part in a rematch.

Unfortunately for Faber, that rematch is not the one he was seeking with new featherweight champion Mike Brown, but instead with former UFC lightweight champion Jens Pulver (22-10-1 MMA, 1-2 WEC).

Faber defeated Pulver by unanimous decision in their memorable first meeting at WEC 34 in June.

A nine-year veteran of MMA, Pulver has earned victories in the UFC, WEC, PRIDE, the IFL and Shooto.

The MMA legend has struggled recently, losing four of his past five fights. While his recent losses have come to elite-level talent such as Faber, Leonard Garcia, B.J. Penn, Hayato "Mach" Sakurai and Takanori Gomi, Pulver is just 4-6 in his previous 10 bouts.

Faber will be looking to rebound from his recent loss to Brown. Before the loss in the main event of "WEC 36: Faber vs. Brown" earlier this month, Faber had not tasted defeat in over three years.

Sources close to Aldo -- a rapidly rising featherweight prospect -- indicate that despite being pulled form a potential bout with Faber, he may still be booked for a WEC 38 appearance. While contracts have not yet been finalized, the WEC has reportedly mentioned fellow prospect Josh Grispi (12-1 MMA, 2-0 WEC) as a potential opponent.

Just 20-years-old, Grispi made an impressive debut for the organization with a February submission win over veteran Mark Hominick at WEC 32. Grispi then made a successful return to the WEC with a 50-second TKO win over Micah Miller at WEC 35.

Feb 7, 2006
Sources: Major changes made within the WEC front office

Multiple sources have revealed to FiveOuncesOfPain.com within the past seven days that Zuffa-owned World Extreme Cagefighting has made two notable changes to its front office.

Scott Adams and Reed Harris were the original co-owners of the WEC prior to selling it to Zuffa in 2006 and remained with the promotion in high-level positions following the acquisition.

Adams had been serving with the promotion as its primary matchmaker and is considered by many within the industry to be one of the best in the business. Meanwhile, Harris had remained in charge of the WEC’s production during the post-acquisition period.

While Adams and Harris are still with the promotion, separate sources have informed Five Ounces of Pain that the two are no longer serving in their original roles and are working with the company in a reduced capacity.

In regards to Adams, sources indicated that he was held responsible for middleweight prospect Jake Rosholt’s victory over Nissen Osterneck making the telecast of WEC 36 on VERSUS earlier this month instead of a lightweight bout between former WEC champion “Razor” Rob McCullough and Donald Cerrone.

Rosholt is a three-time NCAA wrestling champion but displayed raw standup ability during his second round TKO over Osterneck. Meanwhile, McCullough and Cerrone were not only competing for the right to take on WEC lightweight champion Jamie Varner but ended up earning the show’s “Fight of the Night” honors in a three-round war. WEC television producers tried to fit the fight into the telecast but did not have a time window big enough.

The decision to televise Rosholt vs. Osterneck instead of McCullough vs. Cerrone was not a matter of hindsight because the WEC was contractually obligated to broadcast Rosholt’s match. The fact that Adams awarded Rosholt a contractual provision that mandated his fights be televised is believed to be a central issue in Adams having his power within the organization usurped.

UFC Vice President of Talent Relations Joe Silva is said to be handling matchmaking responsibilities for both the UFC and the WEC.

Five Ounces of Pain attempted to contact both Harris and Adams but was unsuccessful. A number supplied for Harris was no longer in service with no forwarding number given. A call placed to Adams was disconnected and he did not answer the phone during subsequent attempts to reach him.

Feb 7, 2006
Mike Thomas Brown’s first defense likely to take place vs. Leonard Garcia

With Urijah Faber now slated to fight Jens Pulver at WEC 38 on Jan. 25 in a rematch from the classic June encounter, multiple sources have informed FiveOuncesOfPain.com that current WEC featherweight champion Mike Thomas Brown is now expected to make his first defense against former UFC lightweight Leonard Garcia.

Five Ounces of Pain spoke to a third source close to Brown who indicated that while the matchup is considered likely, it has yet to be finalized. However, bout agreements from both fighters could be secured within the next 1-2 two weeks.

It is believed that sources originally wanted Brown to defend his title on the January show to be held in San Diego but that a torn rib cartilage injury sustained by the American Top Team product during his title victory against Faber earlier this month will prevent him from being ready in time. Instead, it is believed that Brown’s next bout could take place at a tentatively scheduled WEC event in March.

Brown TKO’d Faber at WEC 36 to win the title on Nov. 5 at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Fla. at 2:23 of round 1. The TKO allowed Brown to improve his streak to eight consecutive victories and gave him his second win while competing under the WEC banner. He was victorious in his debut for the promotion at WEC 34 in June when he defeated Jeff Curran via unanimous decision.

Garcia, 12-3, was also victorious at WEC 36 by way of first round TKO. Facing former UFC lightweight champion and WEC featherweight title challenger Jens Pulver, Garcia finished the lighter weight pioneer with punches at 1:12 of round 1.

Feb 7, 2006
Yoshihiro Akiyama blogs about his trip to the U.S.

Yoshihiro Akiyama wenton a short trip to Las Vegas and Washington D.C. from November 15 to November 22. He updated his blog during his trip.

November 16
“This is my first visit to Las Vegas, and so I was too excited to sleep during my flight. I watched the show called 'KA' last night, and stayed at Bellagio hotel. Today, I watched the UFC 91 live. Not as I predicted, Randy Couture lost and Brock Lesnar became the new champion. I was amazed to see the level of enthusiasm in the audience here in this event.”

November 17
“Las Vegas is surrounded by the desert, and so my friends and I decided to go to see the desert by running. We couldn't see any desert after running more than 1 hour. We lost and took another 4 hours to come back to the hotel. Now I drag my weary feet onward. At night, we went to watch 'O” but didn't have time to enjoy gambling.“

November 20
“We stay at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Washington DC. We went to see the concert of Sarah Brightman. I marveled at her beautiful voice, and I was moved to tears when she sang 'Time to say goodbye'.”

Feb 7, 2006
Randleman comments on Rampage/Silva 3 & Kimbo

Elitexc and Kimbo Slice

It was a bad situation with Elitexc putting all their eggs in one basket with Kimbo Slice. It was the wrong basket and the wrong bunny fellas. They rode him as long as they could and that is how business is, you have to put your money on something. They lost their backers or people with money but they will find new ones and I don’t think they are done yet. And to be honest I didn’t really care whether Kimbo won or lost that fight but I didn’t expect him to lose that way or that fast! Kimbo is a gamer and if he continues to train and fight he will get better.

Rampage versus the Axe Murderer!

It looks like Wanderlei has found his way in America. He has looked very good and if Jackson is not 100%, he is going to bring it right to him! Wanderlei is going to come straight at him and that is a fact. I see Wanderlei train in the gym all the time and he never strays from his regiment. I know that everyone can be beat but there is no where to run in that cage. For Quinton to win he is going to have to get in the middle of that cage and fight with all he has got. Some people have your number and although Quinton has been training hard I think he is going to get knocked out again! Wanderlei Silva is an incredible fighter right now and I would bet that Anderson Silva wouldn’t fight him.