MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
An ‘Ace’ in Transition

Former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin has his sights set on conquering another division, this time at 205 pounds.

The 34-year-old Cincinnati native made a dominant return to the light heavyweight ranks in September when he stopped Matt Hamill with a third-round body kick at UFC 88 in Atlanta. He will collide with two-time Olympian Dan Henderson in the featured bout at UFC 93 on Jan. 17 at the O2 Arena in Dublin, Ireland.

After two stoppage losses to current UFC middleweight king Anderson Silva, Franklin (24-3) found himself with two options on the table.

“The UFC came to me, and, basically, they weren’t interested in another Anderson Silva-Rich Franklin fight, and it isn’t good business for me to fight the top contenders,” Franklin said. “If I keep winning, I could eliminate possible title fights, so I’d end up being a gatekeeper at 185; that’s why I chose to move up to 205.”

While Franklin expects to start training specifically for Henderson (23-7) following UFC 91 this Saturday, he has a good idea of what to expect when he steps into the Octagon come January.

“He’s not afraid to stand with me,” Franklin said. “I’m going to have to look out for his big right hand, and, ultimately, he’s probably at some point in time going to look for a takedown.”

Franklin does not feel weight will be a factor in the fight, as both he and Henderson have fought previously at middleweight and light heavyweight.

“Neither one of us are really big 205-pound fighters,” Franklin said. “I don’t think that weight in this particular fight is going to be the focus.”

As for reconditioning his own body for the light heavyweight class, Franklin admits the process has been far more difficult than cutting weight.

“It’s easy to take weight off [but] difficult to put good quality muscle back on,” he said. “I’m continually putting on a little weight here and there; I’m walking around right now at about 215.”

Despite comments from a Spike TV representative in October stating the winner of the Franklin-Henderson match would coach opposite of Michael Bisping on season nine of “The Ultimate Fighter,” Franklin denied having received an official offer.

“Being on ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ is not particularly an incentive,” said Franklin, who served as a coach on the second season of the reality series. “Winning is an incentive enough in itself, and the UFC hasn’t actually talked to me at all about being a coach on the show.”

With Lyoto Machida -- the only man other than Silva to defeat Franklin -- now entrenched near the top of the UFC’s light heavyweight pecking order, Franklin indicated he would welcome another crack at the unbeaten contender.

“Avenging the Lyoto loss … if it happens, it happens; if it doesn’t, it doesn’t. I’m not one to get caught up on that,” Franklin said. “If the fans wanted to see me fight Lyoto again, then I would take a second Lyoto fight if the UFC wanted. But otherwise, I’m here to fight whoever they put in front of me, and I’ve been that way my whole career.”

Having endured two brutal defeats to Silva, Franklin conceded recent events inside the cage have impacted his mental approach to fights.

“I think a feeling of complacency in my position being champion may have contributed to my [first] loss [against Silva],” Franklin said. “Some things take your focus off the fight game. Staying in town, I sometimes get caught up in everyday business and all that kind of stuff.”

Franklin has also had to deal with the loss of his father, who died of a heart attack at the age of 56 earlier this year.

“Little things remind me of my father, but I feel like my dad is in a good place right now,” Franklin said. “I think about my dad all the time, but my dad was really proud of what I do, and because of that, it gives me comfort knowing I can go to the gym and do those things.”

Feb 7, 2006
MMA agents unify in hopes of blocking Showtime-EliteXC contract auction

Some of the top agents in mixed martial arts have banded together in hopes of blocking Showtime's upcoming auction of ProElite's assets, including their fighters' contracts.

The letter -- sent to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) by Ken Pavia and co-signed by Monte Cox, Ed Soares, Matt Stansell, Bob Cook, Chas Bowling and Cesar Gracie -- warns would-be buyers that the agents plan to fight the legality of any sale.

"The unity of this effort is unprecedented and the message that is being sent is clear," the statement read. "Absent significant pre-established negotiated terms, do not bid on these contracts unless you are prepared to fight the challenge to their legality."

Showtime has claimed rights to ProElite's "tangible and intangible" assets after the company defaulted on two promissory notes of $4 million that it lent to the company in June and September. The premium cable company notified the public markets last week of its intentions to auction off those assets, including the fighter contracts, on Nov. 17.

ProElite, the parent company of EliteXC and a handful of other promotions, ceased operations and notified the Nevada State Athletic Commission of its closing in October. However, a skeleton staff told the agents earlier this month that it planned to promote an event in early 2009, though the move has largely been considered a last-ditch effort to block Showtime's auction.

The unified agents contend the contracts can't be transferred anyway.

"Whether or not these contracts are legally transferable is a matter of law," the statement read. "What is not at issue however is Showtime's disclaimer that the assets are being sold 'as-is, where-is basis, without recourse, warranty or guarantee of any kind.' We intend to fight the lawful ability to transfer these assets, and as we believe these are personal services contracts. We do not believe there is an obligation to perform if transferred. With pooled resources we are prepared to fight this issue.

As of today, the auction was still scheduled to go on as planned.

ProElite formed in December 2006 and promoted a total of 20 events under the EliteXC banner -- most of which aired on Showtime or CBS. While the organization eventually grew to claim No. 2 status behind the UFC, a series of financial and public-relations gaffes eventually led to its demise.

The full statement is below:

Agents Unite to Block Showtime Fighter Contract Auction

We as sports agents battle against each other every day for the best opportunities for our clients. Ultimately we realize the struggle is always about the client's best interest. That is why we as the elite agents in MMA today have [banded] together to address what we perceive to be a grave injustice.

On November 5th in an SEC filing and in related advertisements, Showtime Networks Inc. announced its intention to liquidate "Collateral" as defined by the assets of Pro Elite and their related entities at auction scheduled for November 17th. Included in these assets are certain fighter contracts. These fighters are our clients.

Individually we consummated promotional agreements with Pro Elite. These agreements were made based on a multiplicity of factors including but not limited to relationships with certain Pro Elite personnel, venues, television exposure, jurisdictional concerns, public relations support, and numerous other intangibles. These considerations are not readily transferable.

Whether or not these contracts are legally transferable is a matter of law. What is not at issue however is Showtime's disclaimer that the assets are being sold "as-is, where-is basis, without recourse, warranty or guarantee of any kind." We intend to fight the lawful ability to transfer these assets, and as we believe these are personal services contracts. We do not believe there is an obligation to perform if transferred. With pooled resources we are prepared to fight this issue.

The unity of this effort is unprecedented and the message that is being sent is clear. Absent significant pre-established negotiated terms, do not bid on these contracts unless you are prepared to fight the challenge to their legality. It is our intention to honor our commitment to Pro Elite, but if Pro Elite is not able to perform in accordance with the contractual terms, the fighters should be granted unrestricted free agency with the unfettered ability to enter the marketplace.

Ken Pavia
Monte Cox
Ed Soares
Matt Stansell
Bob Cook
Chas Bowling
Cesar Gracie

Feb 7, 2006
Mike Pyle content to let others sing his praises

In compiling a list of top welterweights not cashing checks from the UFC, Mike Pyle has to be one of the first few names on the page.

The 31-year-old native of Tennessee has steadily risen up the ranks and even earned a crack at a belt, losing to EliteXC champion Jake Shields a year ago by rear-naked choke.

Since that bitter first-round defeat to Shields, Pyle has reeled off four straight victories and has lived up to his "Quicksand" moniker in the process. He's submitted each of his four opponents inside of 10 minutes, including a first-frame sub of Brian Gassaway last month at A Night of Combat II in Las Vegas.

Gassaway gave props to his opponent, saying Pyle, who is often overlooked when discussing the division's top fighters, deserves more respect and possesses ground skills that are among the best at 170 pounds.

"That was a nice comment from Gassaway ... very gentleman-like," Pyle told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), "but I don't really care what people think. I'm just going to keep plugging away. I'm going to work my way up no matter what people think. I'm going to keep finishing people and end fights like I always do."

Gassaway isn't alone in his praise of Pyle's development.

"Technically, he's as good as anyone I've ever worked with," said UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture of his Xtreme Couture pupil. "He just needs that break. He just needs that fight that's going to put him over the top, that's going to get him recognized and give him the shot to step up into a title fight to show the rest of the world what he's capable of."

Couture says the one remaining area in which Pyle needs to continue to focus has little to do with the technical aspects of the fight game, but rather how Pyle approaches the mental side of combat.

"He still needs to keep a little confidence," Couture added. "He needs to keep building that confidence. We, as fighters, rely on that pretty heavily to put ourselves out there in an individual sport like this."

While Pyle isn't one to call out his preferred opposition, he makes no secret of the desire to get a second shot at Shields, who's also considered one of the best welterweights this side of the UFC.

"It would be a nice one to have back," Pyle said. "Of course, everyone wants a chance to redeem themselves."

A near-term rematch between Pyle and Shields appears unlikely, with Shields' contractual status with ProElite in limbo. In the meantime, Pyle's immediate future seems secure with deals in place with both World Victory Road's Sengoku and Affliction. He has a pair of fights with each organization remaining on current contracts. Both organizations have events lined up for January, though Pyle has yet to be confirmed for one of the shows.

Feb 7, 2006
Joe Stevenson awarded Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt

UFC lightweight contender Joe Stevenson (29-8 MMA, 6-2 UFC) was awarded his Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt in a ceremony this past Saturday.

The news comes from UFC.com.

Stevenson, who fights Kenny Florian at Saturday's "UFC 91: Couture vs. Lesnar" event, received the belt from grappling legend and trainer Robert Drysdale.

Stevenson, 26, first rose to fame as the welterweight winner of "The Ultimate Fighter 2." He actually began his pro career six years earlier in 1999 as a 16-year-old, which required his parents' consent. Stevenson, two weeks shy of his 17th birthday, suffered his first career loss to former UFC champion Jens Pulver at the Bas Rutten Invitational in 1999.

From September 2001 to February 2004, Stevenson won 13 of 14 fights to earn a spot on the "TUF 2" cast. Since winning the show, he's gone 6-2 in the UFC, dropped to lightweight and has become one of the division's top contenders. Fourteen of his 29 pro victories have come via submission.

Stevenson fought for the title once before -- in January after Sean Sherk was stripped of the belt -- and suffered a second-round submission loss to B.J. Penn.

His fight with Florian on Saturday will likely earn the winner a shot at Penn's title in 2009.

Feb 7, 2006
Josh Koscheck part of finalized Dec. 10 "UFC Fights for the Troops" fight card

Despite a loss to Thiago Alves as a late replacement at last month's UFC 90 event, Josh Koscheck will still headline the Deec. 10 "UFC Fight Night 16: UFC Fights for the Troops" event.

As originally planned Koscheck will meet Yoshiyuki Yoshida, Spike TV today announced.

The event, which serves as a fundraiser for the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund, takes place at the Crown Coliseum in Fayetteville, N.C., and airs on Spike TV. Thousands of soldiers from the nearby Fort Bragg military installation, which is home to the U.S. Airborne and Special Operations Forces, will be in attendance.

Koscheck had been a rumored headliner for the event before he filled in for an injured Diego Sanchez at UFC 90. With his unanimous-decision loss, it wasn't immediately clear if Koscheck would still be able to make the Dec. 10 event.

However, he's good to go and will look to reclaim top contender's status when he meets Yoshida, who goes for his 10th straight MMA victory.

A total of five fighters who are U.S. military veterans will also be on the card: Luigi Fioravanti, Tim Credeur, Dale Hartt, Brandon Wolff and Steve Bruno.

In the night's co-main event, Mike Swick will return from recent surgery for a bout with fellow welterweight Jonathan Goulet. The bout has been considered as a main event for The Ultimate Fighter 8 Finale, which takes place Dec. 13, but was instead moved to the UFC Fight Night 16 card.

Also on the main card is "The Ultimate Fighter 5" stand-out Matt Wiman vs. Frankie Edgar.

The preliminary card features a handful of bouts previously reported by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), including Razak Al-Hussan vs. Steve Cantwell, Dale Hartt vs. Corey Hill, and Justin McCully vs. Eddie Sanchez.

The full card includes:

MAIN CARD

Josh Koscheck vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida
Jonathan Goulet vs. Mike Swick
Frankie Edgar vs. Matt Wiman
PRELIMINARY CARD

Razak Al-Hussan vs. Steve Cantwell
Brodie Farber vs. Luigi Fioravanti
Dale Hartt vs. Corey Hill
Ben Saunders vs. Brandon Wolff
Tim Credeur vs. Nate Loughran
Steve Bruno vs. Johnny Rees
Eddie Sanchez vs. Justin McCully

Feb 7, 2006
FLAME BURNING, U.K. FIGHTER LOOKING FOR A HOME

The U.K. has long been overlooked when it comes to top flight warriors in the lighter weight categories. As a nation we can lay claim to some of the top featherweights in Europe and Robbie “The Flame” Olivier is running right at the sharp end of the division.

Olivier has only dropped one bout at featherweight in two and a half years since becoming British Champion of the now defunct Cage Rage promotion; that match was a submission loss to kamikaze fighter Masakazu Imanari when he was granted the opportunity to challenge for the promotion’s world title. Olivier has kept himself busy facing all challengers at featherweight and even dabbling with the lightweight division against Abdul Mohammed – so where does he go now?

“I am 30 this year and I have got to a point domestically where I can’t see anyone giving me a decent challenge. I want to push on now. It's all about looking after myself in the current situation and I really have to focus abroad,” he explains, referring to where his future lies, before adding, “I believe I beat Brad Pickett the first time. Maybe it was a dodgy decision, but the second time wasn’t even close. So a third encounter doesn’t even make sense. To be honest, I think for both of us, it will be best pursuing the international route. Pickett aside, who else is there?”

So where does that route take him? It’s an interesting question when you consider that the UFC is ruled out because of the featherweight category, the options become WEC or Japanese shaped. Olivier explains, “It’s a strange situation in Japan, very hard to break into. Japan appeals to me because of the tournament style formats they adopt. It brings me back to my Judo days and of course my target fighter there would be Kid Yamamoto. I think the WEC would also suit me because of the cage and style of fighters they have. I would love to fight guys like Urijah Faber, Jeff Curran, and Mike Brown.”

Despite Faber dropping his belt at the latest WEC show to Mike Brown in devastating fashion, it's fairly obvious that the former champion will have no lack of challengers chomping at the bit to prove themselves, but there are sure to be other people in line.

The question here is: Are the WEC and Olivier courting? “The WEC have said before that they are interested, but nothing has materialized yet. I mean, I would do well against the people I have mentioned, but what will it take to actually get the opportunity to prove it? Who else do I have to beat in order to get that chance?”

Olivier’s final outing as Cage Rage champion was a three-round demolition of highly regarded veteran Leigh Remedios. With all the smack talk that went back and forth before the bout and the end result, what does the win mean to him? “It's a strange situation. I thought I would be ecstatic as I always knew Leigh from the scene, but afterwards it hit me that I have closed a chapter in the book.”

He added that he believes that all the talk wasn’t ill intentions. “I personally think all the smack was to motivate himself, give him his own sense of self-belief. I don’t think he meant it about me, but I fed off it quite while. I don’t have any issues with him, but I think he should stop fighting now unless he has personal challenges he wants to fulfil in his life.”

For many “The flame” is an unknown entity, but the full-time fireman hopes to change all that moving into 2009, “I am in a position where I am now being efficient with my training and just concentrating on helping all my team mates get ready for fights. Come next year I plan on pushing for myself, all the way to the top. One thing people have to know is I achieved everything to date holding down a full time job. If I got a chance of proving myself internationally, everything would be channelled into that opportunity, no exceptions.”

Feb 7, 2006
Denis Kang vs Alan Belcher UFC 93 fight possible for Jan. 17

High-profile 185-pound standout Denis Kang (31-10-1) — who just signed a new four-fight contract — could make his Octagon debut against Alan Belcher (13-5) at UFC 93 at The O2 in Dublin, Ireland, on January 17, according to MMAOnTap.com.

Bout agreements have reportedly been distributed to both fighters but are not signed at this time.

Kang — who has enjoyed success primarily in Japan and Korea fighting in the Pride FC and Spirit MC organizations — is on a two-fight win streak after losing back-to-back matches. He most recently defeated Marvin Eastman via first round technical knockout at Raw Combat: “Redemption” last month.

The Canadian with South Korean roots was a participant in the Dream Middleweight Grand Prix 2008, losing to eventual tournament winner Gegard Mousasi via submission (triangle choke). He was an early favorite to win it all before getting upset by the slick Armenian.

Kang was also the runner-up at the PRIDE Welterweight Grand Prix 2006, losing to Kazuo Misaki via split decision.

He is a great addition to the middleweight class on paper, but will need to prove his worth within the eight-sided cage — an unforgiving place where many high profile free agent acquisitions have struggled early … especially against UFC veterans like Belcher.

“The Talent” is fresh off a tough split decision win over Ed Herman at UFC Fight Night 15 back in September. It was his third win in his last four attempts — a surprising technical knockout loss to newcomer Jason Day at UFC 83: “Serra vs. St. Pierre 2” earlier this year is the only blip during that span.

If this bout does go down he’ll want to be sure that it doesn’t happen again. And to do that he’ll more than likely keep things upright with Kang – he has solid submissions. Then again, Kang is pretty good standing, too.

Feb 7, 2006
Affliction believed to be interested in Ricardo Arona

There are indications that Ricardo Arona, once considered a consensus top ten light heavyweight, could be on the verge of ending his extended hiatus from competitive mixed martial arts.

Arona has not competed since April 8, 2007, when he suffered an upset loss against Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou during PRIDE’s final show after being knocked out at just 1:59 of round 1.

Considered one of the best pure grapplers in MMA at 205 pounds, Arona is believed to be drawing interest from Affliction Entertainment.

According to a recent article at GracieMag.com, interim UFC heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira is quoted as saying that Affliction has sent out feelers for Arona.

“It’s not just Brazilian fans who are looking forward to a return from Arona,” Nogueira is quoted as saying. “The folks at Affliction have already sent a message through my brother Rogerio. ‘We would like to hire Arona, we want to see him fighting in our events, you may tell him that – we want to negotiate with Arona now.’”

Arona is 13-5 in his professional MMA career with notable wins over Wanderlei Silva, Alistair Overeem, Murilo “Ninja” Rua, Dan Henderson, Jeremy Horn, Dean Lister and Kazushi Sakuraba. If signed by Affliction, he would join a light heavyweight division that includes Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, Vladimir Matyushenko, Mike Whitehead, and Renato “Babalu” Sobral.

Feb 7, 2006
Rogério Nogueira Interview

With three victories in three fights in 2008, Rogério “Minotouro” Nogueira celebrated his back to Japan with a unanimous decision victory against Moise Rimbon, but if you think he just wants to relax now you’re definitely wrong. Getting ready to fight again at Affliction, at January 24th, in a rematch against Vladmir Matyushenko, Nogueira spoke with TATAME.com about his debut at Sengoku, the back to Japanese rings and the training to go back to Affliction. Check below the complete interview with Nogueira.

What do you think about your fight at Sengoku?
I think it was a good fight, another victory, I fought well and was better than him in striking and on the ground, but I’m not completely happy because I didn’t submit him. He moved backwards the whole fight, he didn’t walked forward to avoid my takedowns. He tried the kicks and running backwards, and fought to lose by decision.

Do you think he fought this way to avoid the ground?
Absolutely. His tactic was stand and use his Muay Thai, kicks and punches, but when he saw I was defending it he lost himself and tried to take me down, but I defended that too.

How did you winning again at Japan?
Japan is like my second home, I made my career there, almost eight years, and it’s great to go back there, those fans, that atmosphere… People there love fights, I feel that they understand a lot the fight on the ground, understand what’s happening, admire he fighter like a samurai, the real essence of the martial art, and go back there and show my work, that I’m getting better and developing my game, not only technically but physically too, is very good. I’m in a great time, three victories this years and I wanna fight again next year, fight at Japan is great.

Sengoku is preparing a light-heavyweight tournament for next year… Do you plan fighting there too?
I don’t know, they didn’t speak with me about it, it depends on the negotiation. If I could fight both at Japan and USA I’ll definitely do it. There are a lot of fighters who are in Sengoku too, and I’d be interested on doing that too.

When will you fight again?
I’ll be back at Affliction at January 24th, against Vladmir Matyushenko.

You fought him at 2002... What’s the plan for this fight now?
He’s from wrestling, I fought with him and lost, but I’ll get a rematch now. I didn’t train for that fight, they called me one week before it and didn’t even knew who he was… He kept me on the ground on top of me the whole time, I tried an arm-lock but he got out, and today I’m a lot better trained and I’m a complete different end better fighter, I’m more confident and will be different.

Feb 7, 2006
MMA Legalization and Entrepreneurship

There is an interesting article in the York Daily Record that details the push for legalization of MMA in the state of Pennsylvania and the effect it has on small business entrepreneurs who see legalization as a boon for their fledgling companies. Jerod Phillips and his Tap or Sleep MMA Apparel label are presented as a case study. Phillips sees legalization as a natural path to increased revenue:

Using MySpace, he contacted fighters and persuaded them to wear his clothing. He estimates he’s invested about $60,000 and countless hours in the past year.

It would help Phillips if MMA was legal in Pennsylvania. That way, he could sell his clothing at shows around the state and string his banners up at those shows, steering more traffic to his Web site, he said.

The piece also looks at how the MMA training market will see an increase. Some of these things may seem self-evident, but it is always interesting to see them on a micro level, with the various local iterations on the theme.

Prospects for legalization are bright. A bill legalizing the sport is working its’ way through the statehouse and legislators as a whole seem open to the sport. A visit from Mr. Ratner will probably be made at some point:

Earlier this year, the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission drafted rules and regulations for MMA, which are now making their way through the legislature. Greg Sirb, the commission’s executive director, speculated the sport might be approved by year’s end.

State Rep. Eugene DePasquale, D-West Manchester Township, said he would be open to legalizing the sport. DePasquale said that over the years, he has seen the sport institute safety guidelines, which include things like weight classes, gloves and rounds.

“I think the sport has come a long way to clean it up and make it legitimate … (it’s) more focused on the safety of the fighter,” DePasquale said. “At the end of the day, they are working to be a legitimate sport.”

Feb 7, 2006
Randy Couture's Son Victorious In MMA Amateur Debut

So far so good for the Couture family.

Last Friday, Ryan Couture, the son of current UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture, won his MMA amateur debut defeating Ricky Perez (1-1) via triangle choke in the first round at the West Coast Fight Club event in the Bellingham (Wash.) Sports Plex.

Ryan's victory kicks off a pretty eventful month for the Couture family. Next up, Randy defends his heavyweight crown against Brock Lesnar this Saturday night at UFC 91, while step-mother, Kim, makes her Strikeforce debut on November 21st against Lina Kvokov.

Feb 7, 2006
Patrick Cote Talks Injury, Anderson Silva, Respect, And More On MMARated Radio

UFC middleweight fighter Patrick Cote stopped by MMARated Radio to talk about his last month's loss to Anderson Silva at UFC 90, his upcoming knee surgery, how long he will be sidelined, all the criticism Silva received after the fight, and much more.

Some highlights from the interview include:

Cote on his surgery:
"Surgery is next month (on) December 8th because I can't have the surgery before that because I have a lot of liquid in my knee....I think I will be able to fight probably next June or around there."

On his injury:
"My ACL and my meniscus is f*cked very bad."

On rumors that he injured himself before the fight:
"I was OK before the fight....It was just bad luck in the fight...I wasn't expecting that all. I was expecting everything except that."

On if he is over the loss:
"It's hard to take because before that I had fun during the fight. I felt very good. He didn't stop me; the fight stopped because I had an injury. It's kind of like unfinished business."

On Silva's behavior during the fight:
"I don't think it was a lack of respect. I just think my game plan was perfect. I was moving a lot, going forward but not running after him and I don't think he was expecting a lot of leg kicks like I did. He gave me a very good shot and I was still there...He didn't want to exchange, I think, with me."

On Silva extending his hand to help him up during the fight:
"I didn't take that like (it was) a lack of respect. I took that more like he tried to hide (because) he was a little bit lost because when I was on the ground I gave him two very, very good elbows on his head and he wasn't able to do anything on the ground."

All that plus Cote's thoughts on Paulo Filho, Denis Kang, and his current place in the middleweight division.

Feb 7, 2006
Wanderlei Silva: Hint’s Title Shot

Wanderlei ‘The Axe Murderer’ Silva has hinted that he might be getting a title shot if he beats Quinton ‘Rampage’ Jackson in December, www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk has just made public with a one on one interview with Silva.

Silva quote from the Interview:

The Jackson fight “is a very, very good opportunity for me for me to fight for the title,” he said. “I think after I beat Rampage, it may be possible I fight with the champion.”

When asked about what he thinks of Quinton:

“He was a great champion… he is a tough guy. Very strong - good wrestling, good boxing.”

Feb 7, 2006
Jerry Millen talks about Fighting Fedor

Jerry Millen tells about the concept of Fighting Fedor and reveals why it's going to be exciting.

I was approached Vadim Finkelstein, manager of Fedor and president of M-1 Global to come work for them. I love Fedor, I know Fedor for a long time. Enormous person and a great fighter. I felt that Fedor needed a vehicle because the American audience doesn’t really know Fedor as the person. They might have seen him as a fighter but it is absolutely different.

So what would be a great vehicle for him? It’s hard to find a competition for Fedor because he pretty much smashes everybody. So why not give an average MMA fighter a chance to maybe fight Fedor. It’s like Rocky challenge of our time. You could see it at UFC, Pride or at M-1 Challenge for many times – nobody knows what can happen.

So, 16 guys we will compete and one guy will get a chance to fight Fedor. Is that a grand price? Yeah, because you could make a name for yourself if you could happen to beat Fedor.

How are we to expect an unknown fighter will challenge Fedor?

We actually know that in mixed martial arts anything can happen. It’s being proven time to time again. Ground – stand up – ground. Anything can happen.

Why not to give an average guy that trains that shot. There is always a better singer, actor, fighter and they need to be discovered. And how can we discover them? To give them a shot to fight the best. Maybe we will get eight great MMA heavyweight fighters and the goal is to create other heavyweights and put them into big shows of Affliction and M-1 Global.

When will the selection process begin?

Pretty shrotly. We have some guys in mind and we will also contact with quite a few people. Some names you’ll be surprised. So, if your want to get in it - we have the website www.m1mixfigt.com. You can send an e-mail there and who knows. It’s like MMA American Idol , but it’s international. So, if you have some fights you can send us a resume.

Will we be safe from drunken antics (see “The Ultimate Fighter”)?

It is a reality show and you’ll never know what can happen. These guys will be put in a situation. We’ll be shooting in Saint-Petersburg, Russia. Russia is a great country, I’ve been there many times now. Americans don’t really understand Russia. Saint Petersburg is awesome. So it is a great chance to show what Russia is really like. The Russian people are great - Vadim and people that work for him from Red Devil and Fedor and so on. The Russian people are just like American people. Politics tend to get into the way. It’s gonna be very interesting because of the atmosphere of Russia.

When and where will the show air?

Honestly, it depends on the network. We will air internationally. There is a lot of interest in this show and that’s why we take international fighters in there. There are 5 countries right now in the M-1 Challenge and we already have interest from other countries for this show so we will take some big fighters that will fight at the show. M-1 Challenge is in about, I believe, 85 countries now…

Feb 7, 2006
Alistair Overeem submits Gary Goodridge in Netherlands

Alistair Overeem (29-11) improved his stock as one of the world's top non-UFC heavyweights with a submission victory over Gary Goodridge (23-19-1) at this past weekend's "Shooto Holland: Ultimate Glory 10 event" in Arnhem, Netherlands.

The Nov. 9 fight, which came just six weeks after Overeem's no-contest with Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic at DREAM.6, pushed the Dutch fighter's undefeated streak to five straight.

In the night's main event, Overeem forced Goodridge to tap out from a first-round kimura.

Overeem dominated the fight from the opening bell, used knees to force the fight to the ground early, and after damaging his opponent with ground and pound, he worked from side control to secure the fight-ending submission.

Overeem, who is also the reigning Strikeforce world heavyweight title-holder, will likely next meet Filipovic in a rematch in December. Overeem dominated their first meeting, but after he connected with knees to the groin, Filipovic was unable to continue. The fight was ruled a no-contest.

As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) previously mentioned, the rematch is expected to take place at the year-end "K-1 DYNAMITE!! 2008" in Japan, though no formal announcement has been made.

Goodridge, meanwhile, has lost all four of his fights in 2008. The losing skid came after the former K-1 kickboxer had won six MMA bouts in a seven-fight span from 2003-2007.

Feb 7, 2006
Brown Could Face Garcia in March

Still basking in his victory over former WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber last Wednesday at WEC 36, the promotion’s new featherweight champion Mike Thomas Brown hasn’t paid much attention to who’s next in line for a title shot. But he’s heard rumblings.

“They [the WEC] haven’t really said much,” Brown told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show” on Wednesday. “I’ve heard some rumors that it’s maybe Leonard [Garcia] in March. That’s what I’ve heard, nothing official. I haven’t seen the Jens [Pulver] fight yet -- I should probably check that out.”

The Greg Jackson-trained Leonard Garcia clobbered Pulver along the fence in a crisp 1:12 for the TKO victory moments before Brown and Faber took the stage.

Brown, who was considered an underdog in his bout, knows it’s all in the timing. In the midst of a first-round scramble, Faber (21-2) came up looking to hit Brown (20-4) with a back elbow, but failed to land. Brown countered with a right that struck Faber square on the chin, dropping the former champ en route to finishing the bout with strikes. Brown was seen being helped from the cage shortly after, clutching his side.

“I’ve done it before. I was swinging real hard and I was twisting my body real hard, and somehow I tore the cartilage in my ribs,” said the American Top Team member. “I could feel the ribs actually shifting and moving over each other and I knew I popped something. When I started cooling off they felt like they were sticking into me. I’ve had rib injuries before and I know what it entails, just four to six weeks of resting up.”

Feb 7, 2006
PUNK OUT, LUDWIG IN VS EDWARDS AT STRIKEFORCE

Current Strikeforce lightweight champion Josh "The Punk" Thomson is out of his scheduled title defense against Yves Edwards at the promotion's Nov. 21 event in San Jose, Calif. With less than two weeks until fight night, Denver's Duane Ludwig has agreed to step in and take the bout in Thomson's place.

Thomson suffered torn ligaments in his toe during training, according to a report by Sports Illustrated reporter Josh Gross. Strikeforce promoter Scott Coker confirmed to SI the news of the injury to Thomson and Ludwig's likelihood to replace him.

Ludwig on Monday afternoon told MMAWeekly.com, "Coker called me about 10 minutes ago and asked if I wanted to take the fight and I said, 'Sure.' We've got to determine a weight to fight at because there's no way I can make 155 (pounds) on such short notice, but I'm excited to get another fight in before the end of the year."

It doesn't give Ludwig much time to prepare for Edwards, who has been prepping for Thomson for several weeks, but he says he will be ready.

"I'm the king of short notice fights," quipped Ludwig, who has stepped in with little notice to face fighters such as B.J. Penn and Takanori Gomi in the past. "I've been helping Leonard Garcia and some of the other guys prepare for fights, but I haven't been training at the level I need to be ready for a guy like Yves. I have a good solid week to prepare though, so I'll be ready."

The fight will likely take place somewhere between 160 and 165 pounds, as Ludwig doesn't have the time to properly cut down to 155 and has been preparing for a move up to the 170-pound class for the near future.

"I don't want to make 55 anymore," Ludwig told MMAWeekly.com. "My plans are to start fighting at 170 from now on."

With plans to fight in the welterweight class, win or lose against Edwards, Ludwig isn't concerned about getting a rematch against Thomson, who won their first bout via submission.

There are rumors that Strikeforce would like to pair Ludwig up with Phil Baroni in February of next year in a welterweight clash. Ludwig has heard the rumors as well, but he says that there haven't been any discussions of the bout at this point.

Feb 7, 2006
CAN KING OF THE CAGE RISE ABOVE ELITEXC'S DEMISE?

Lately, it’s been all doom and gloom for ProElite, Inc. Sacked by bad debt, nearly every interest under the company’s umbrella has been pounding at its door in recent weeks, looking for answers about the future when few exist.

Terri Trebilcock, president of King of the Cage, a longstanding promotion acquired by ProElite in September of 2007, has been in communication with EliteXC CEO Chuck Champion and thinks reports of the company’s demise are premature.

“My gut feeling is that all the talk out there will turn into things that never ended up happening,” Trebilcock said.

On Oct. 21, Trebilcock released a statement vowing to continue his promotion shortly after ProElite declared it was ceasing fight operations. Since then, he and his legal team have worked to ensure KOTC’s five remaining shows in 2008 will go off without a hitch. The promotion held its last show on Friday in Michigan.

In a notice of public sale released last week by Showtime, King of the Cage was listed as one of the assets on the auctioning block.

Speculation from multiple sources MMAWeekly.com has spoken to say the company faces two primary options: to fight Showtime’s auction in court, or file for bankruptcy. Trebilcock says bankruptcy is still a very real option, but feels confident the auction will not take place.

“There’s several ways for us to block what CBS is doing,” he said. “Public company-wise, I can’t really get into them, but there’s zero chance of them pulling off anything on the 17th with King of the Cage.

“I prepared for this from the day I put the deal together. Our deal was ten times more complex than anybody else’s deal, but the difference is that most people were paid in full for what they were owed and I was not.”

Despite all appearances to the contrary, Trebilcock says ProElite, CBS, and Showtime are talking on a daily basis and want to continue their working relationship. It’s a fragile situation, but all sides agree that a protracted court battle is not the best option. According to Trebilcock, Champion’s leadership has pulled Showtime and CBS back from all-out war with ProElite.

“There were a lot of mistakes that were made,” Trebilcock said. “You get in a business like this because you feel like you’re being involved because of your knowledge. There’s only a couple guys making money doing it. Everybody else is just spending money to be there, and eventually, expensive hobbies go away. They understand that the right guy is there now.”

Though he won’t go into details, Trebilcock hints his promotion may fill the void left by EliteXC.

“My guess would be (ProElite) is not going to have to declare bankruptcy to stop (the auction),” he said. “My strongest gut feeling at this point is that King of the Cage, ProElite, and CBS will be working together next year.”