MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Dana White Open To Chuck Liddell Vs. Anderson Silva At UFC 94

Kevin Iole at Yahoo! Sports talks about the possibility of seeing Anderson Silva compete against Chuck Liddell at UFC 94 in January:

“I think the fight for Silva is one against Liddell on Jan. 31 at UFC 94 in Las Vegas. UFC president Dana White has been lukewarm on it so far, but it would be a fun battle and it certainly would be a fight that would have Silva motivated…. [White] didn’t seem all that interested. I had talked with him about it in a private phone conversation about 10 days earlier and he was no more interested in it then. I’m not saying it won’t happen, just that Dana doesn’t seem enthused by the idea”

Feb 7, 2006
M-1 Affliction Challenge 8: Japan vs. Spain and France vs. Korea and Superfights

Daisuke Nakamura (154 lbs) vs. Carlos Valeri (154 lbs)17 wins 9 loses for Nakamura and a 7 – 6 record for Valeri and this one was probably the fastest win ever for Nakamura, because it took him only 26 seconds to finish the fight with a flying armbar. Winner by submission Nakamura.

Hidehiko Hasegawa (167.2 lbs) vs. Javier Jose Martinez (166.5 lbs)

Record of Hasegawa was 20 wins 11 loses and 3 draw. Martinez had very little experience with only two fights of which he won one and lost one. Who would have thought that Martinez would be a piece of cake for the experienced Hasegawa was wrong, because Martinez who carries a brown belt fought him a majority draw. In the extra round Hasegawa was superior and he took the unanimous decision.

Yuyi Shirai ( 184.7 lbs) vs. Rafael Rodriguez Gutierrez (184.6 lbs)

13 wins and 7 loses for Shirai and Gutierrez with 13 wins and 6 loses.

After 2.16 minutes in the first round Shirai applied a kimura and took the fight.

Tatsuya Mizuno (204.5 lbs) vs. Jose Beltran Martinez (190 lbs)

6 wins and four defeats for Mizuno and 2 wins against Beltran with a 2 – 0 record.

After 1.53 in the first round Beltran was kicked on the head and Mizuno was right allover him with punches.

Referee James lee stopped the fight to prevent Beltran to be knocked out.

Yuji Sakuragi (214 lbs) vs. Rogent Lloret Orredondo (232 lbs)

Rogent Llorent took the unanimous decision after a fight in which he dominated mostly in the backmount

Japan won with 4 - 1

Maktar Gueye (153 lbs) vs. Kim Young-Su (153.7 lbs)6 wins 2 loses for Gueye and 11 wins 6 lose for Kim Young Su.

Despite the fact that he was far more experienced Young Su lost the fight. 1.02 minute of the first round needed Gueye to deliver some gruesome body punches which finished Kim Young Su. This earned him the bonus of 500 US dollars that was promised for the most spectacular Knockout of the evening.

Farouk “Paco” Lakebir ( 167.3 lbs) vs. Kim Do-Hyung (167.2 lbs)

A very very exciting fight which ended in a draw. Although most thought that Lakebir would take the decision after the extra round the American judges still did not agree on who should be the winner and because the IMA was dependent on them for the future and endless discussions should be avoided, it was decided to fight another extra round. Even after this round it took the judges quite a while to decide who was the winner but finally they gave the victory to Do Hyung, much to the surprise of the audience

Karl “Psycho”Amoussou (184 lbs) vs. Heo Min-Seok (184.8 lbs)

Seok who fought a superfight in Korea where he defeated Radmir Gabdulin from Russia

on points with a split decision was in for a hard time because Amoussou’s reputation earned him the ring name “Psycho” and he carried it with honor. But Heo Min Seok proved to be a tough cookie because he managed to get a draw after two rounds. The extra round was just as difficult to judge, because the outcome was a split decision in favor of Amoussou.

Karl Louis Jean (197.4 lbs) vs. Lee Eun Su (204.2 lbs)

Louis Jean was a last minute replacement and although he fought brave in the first round, his endurance faded and after 4.22 in the second round his coach Bertrand Amoussou threw in the towel to prevent him from being knocked out by Lee. Lee - winner by TKO (punches).

Malick “Komodo” Ndiaye (278.4 lbs) vs. Lee Sang Soo (246.6 lbs)

Komodo is a really big guy, but Lee Sang Soo was an opponent to be reckoned with because he defeated Roman Zentsov with an armbar in a superfight when the Challenge came to Korea. The Frenchman attacked fiercely in the beginning of the round and it looked like he would not need much time to defeat Lee Sang Soo, but soon the tide changed and after some ground and pounding Lee applied an armbar and with just two seconds left in the first round Komodo tapped out.

Korea won with 3 - 2

Superfight 1:
Bobby Voelker (170 lbs) vs. Amir Rahnavardi (171,4 lbs)

Hometown fighter Voelker made the crowd go wild when he was introduced. Rahnavardi who lived in Hollywood stayed cool and just smiled while he blew a few kisses to the audience.

The problem was that Rahnavardi wasn’t told that he could not use the elbows and the Missouri office accepts elbows in mainfights, this fight was not under the IMA rules.

Normally one wonders why a fight is called a Superfight, but this one deserved the name. After three rounds in which Amir showed an incredible ability to absorb punches, Bobby Voelker took the fight on decision.

Superfight 2:
Mike Whitehead (257 lbs) vs. Leo Pla (204,8 lbs)

Mike Whitehead made Pla tap with a guillotine choke after 1.20 minute in the first round

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
Pat barry K-1 background isn't anything to really talk about either he has not even faced the top K-1 level strikers he only had five fights with only one tko win and 3 losses. This is MMA not kickboxing and it does not matter if barry is the better kickboxer if he can't use those skills and is taken to the ground.
Did you look up his record or watch him fight? I'm guessing looked his record up. Pat's "loss" to Samodev is horseshit and the fight is on youtube for everyone to see. His loss to Pitch and Lighty are legit but he rematched Lighty in a show in Florida and someone left on a stretcher .. and it wasn't Pat. Evensen is absolute dog shit in MMA. He's a wannabe striker who's self proclaimed to never take the fight to the ground. If Pat loses this fight he needs to take his ass back to K-1 because Evensen is shit, but he won't.

EDIT .. also Pat initially approached to fight another HW who's fighting on the same card who won't be mentioned and they ended bitching out of the fight.

lenbiasyayo

Rest In Peace
Jun 24, 2008

Kevin Iole at Yahoo! Sports talks about the possibility of seeing Anderson Silva compete against Chuck Liddell at UFC 94 in January:

“I think the fight for Silva is one against Liddell on Jan. 31 at UFC 94 in Las Vegas. UFC president Dana White has been lukewarm on it so far, but it would be a fun battle and it certainly would be a fight that would have Silva motivated…. [White] didn’t seem all that interested. I had talked with him about it in a private phone conversation about 10 days earlier and he was no more interested in it then. I’m not saying it won’t happen, just that Dana doesn’t seem enthused by the idea”
chuck should not even think bout takin that fight, he in all reality needs a decent opponent but a sure fire win

i realize dana probably doesnt think its good idea either cause chuck still is one big superstar and they can get a few years outta him yet if he can start knockin fools out again. i love chuck hope he comes back strong

Feb 12, 2006
www.chibangin.com
well i dont see anyone saying anything about it but Gomi got robbed apparently in a split decision in sengoku battle 6. Gamebred Masidval also won a very thing decision over Bang the man who took gomi to decision in sengoku 5.

i hear the gomi call was absolutely terrible... possibly worse even but its all opinion. bas rutten didnt beat randleman but somehow got the win.

Feb 12, 2006
www.chibangin.com

lol dana isnt lettin chuck go down like that. it would so fun to watch danas face as the spider evaded everything chuck threw and picked chuck straight apart. i would rather have shogun do it but anderson works too. but yea i dnt think dana will allow this one anytime soon but really chuck is only good for 1 or 2 more and he is on tito status. he better use his name for possibly the biggest fight in history (sorry its true spider vs chuck would be biggest) with chuck fans hoping he can pull out one more and anderson fans hoping he solidifies that #1 spot at p4p

Feb 7, 2006
Did you look up his record or watch him fight? I'm guessing looked his record up. Pat's "loss" to Samodev is horseshit and the fight is on youtube for everyone to see. His loss to Pitch and Lighty are legit but he rematched Lighty in a show in Florida and someone left on a stretcher .. and it wasn't Pat. Evensen is absolute dog shit in MMA. He's a wannabe striker who's self proclaimed to never take the fight to the ground. If Pat loses this fight he needs to take his ass back to K-1 because Evensen is shit, but he won't.

EDIT .. also Pat initially approached to fight another HW who's fighting on the same card who won't be mentioned and they ended bitching out of the fight.
Your the one hyping his K-1 experience and like I said it is nothing to talk about because he never fought any top K-1 fighters as I stated previously I could care less about his fight with Samodev being horseshit like you say. How is a 10 and 3 record shit. So what if he is a wannabe striker who never takes the fight to the ground he is still 10-3-0 and has more experience.

Feb 7, 2006
well i dont see anyone saying anything about it but Gomi got robbed apparently in a split decision in sengoku battle 6. Gamebred Masidval also won a very thing decision over Bang the man who took gomi to decision in sengoku 5.

i hear the gomi call was absolutely terrible... possibly worse even but its all opinion. bas rutten didnt beat randleman but somehow got the win.
I agree I was watching gomi fighting last night and that was bullshit Gomi was starting to turn up the heat in the third round, You could give the second round to sergie but the first round was gomi's.

Feb 7, 2006
Kitaoka, Santiago Take Sengoku Tourneys

TOKYO -- It was upsets and surprises galore at Saturday’s Sengoku Sixth Battle inside the Super Saitama Arena.

In the main event, Satoru Kitaoka bested former Deep lightweight champion Kazunori Yokota with grappling superiority to take the lightweight tournament. Not wanting anything to do with Yokota’s striking, Kitaoka ducked under every flurry, settling into a predictable pattern of shooting for the takedown to counter Yokota’s standup.

Yokota defended by scrambling for the ropes, giving up his back in order to lean against or completely out of them to wait out the inevitable referee call for a break. Yokota only received a warning for his antics, but that didn’t stop him from using the ring posts to same effect for the rest of the bout.

“I wasn’t very happy with the breaks, and I thought that referee Samio Kimura wasn’t particularly fair to me, but we have to abide by rules and officials. No way around it,” said Kitaoka.

Yokota was able to punch Kitaoka’s face when his opponent went for the takedown, but was abruptly cut short whenever he was sucked down to the canvas. The end of the second round saw Kitaoka in such an instance, pounding on Yokota with short hammerfists from the side mount, punches from the knee on belly position, and finally foot stomps.

With the third round looking to be no different from the previous two, Kitaoka closed the bout with a surprising hook that dropped Yokota at fight’s end.

“I was like, ‘Wow! I got him with that?’ It wasn’t in my training, so it surprised me,” said Kitaoka of the punch.

All three judges ruled the bout in favor of Kitaoka, at which point the ground technician broke out into animated celebration.

Takanori Gomi was overwelmed
by Sergey Golyaev.“Although you lost tonight Mr. Gomi, I look forward to facing you,” Kitaoka then addressed the former Pride champion and the crowd.

A visibly upset Gomi stepped up into the ring then, congratulating Kitaoka at first on his tournament win, followed by a challenge.

“Let’s get at it. You better bring it. I’ll be waiting for you in this ring come January 4,” he said.

In the middleweight tournament, Jorge Santiago pulled off another big tournament win by taking out Kazuhiro Nakamura in the finals. Nakamura was ahead on the cards thanks to his lunging jabs, takedowns, and top control in the first two rounds.

In the third period, the 2007 Strikeforce middleweight tournament champion tagged Nakamura with a stiff jab, and immediately followed with a hammering right hook to the jaw that had the judoka dazed. Santiago charged in to finish, racking up a barrage of brutal punches to the face of the grounded Nakamura for the 49-second stoppage.

Takanori Gomi’s stock tumbles yet again with a decision loss to Sergey Golyaev in what was supposed to be a showcase bout for “the Fireball Kid.” As Gomi himself predicted, he had difficulty negotiating the lanky Russian’s length, unable to get close enough to score strikes of his own. Golyaev’s speed aided him in racking up points, along with a second-round left hook counter that crumpled the Japanese fighter in an awkward heap and appeared to cause damage to his right knee.

Golyaev swarmed on the dizzied Japanese fighter but was unable to finish him before Gomi recovered to finish out the round. Behind on the cards, Gomi aggressively pursued Golyaev in the third, swinging wide and missing. As such, two judges saw fit to award the bout to Golyaev, with only one giving the nod to Gomi.

“The next fight, there’s going to be a belt on the line. I feel like I’m the challenger for January’s show, so today’s loss was very good medicine for me,” said Gomi. “Kitaoka is a very tough matchup for me, because he’s so good at submissions.”

Golyaev, a member of the perennial Red Devil Team, earned his seat at the big show.

“A lot of people were saying that I was not as good a fighter as Gomi before the fight, so I’m very happy that I was able to exceed everyone’s expectations,” said Golyaev.

Mo Lawal continues
to impress.Muhammed Lawal took a little longer with Fabio Silva than he did with veteran Travis Wiuff on Sept. 28, but his performance was no less dominant.

From the opening bell, Lawal shut the Chute Boxe fighter’s game down by taking him down and making sure he stayed there. Dropping heavy punches on the Brazilian throughout all rounds, Silva showed toughness in enduring the punishment, but little else. With no defense and no real way to reverse, the referee saved Silva during a particularly savage moment, calling the bout at 41 seconds in the third.

The light heavyweight bout between Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Moise Rimbon saw the Pride veteran walk away the victor after three rounds of grappling control. Nogueira’s dogged takedowns and top control, coupled with a yellow card against Rimbon for rope grabbing, did not bode well for the Frenchman. As such, Nogueira took a technically sound, but largely uneventful unanimous decision.

Jorge Masvidal defeated Seung Hwan Bang in their lightweight tournament reserve bout. Stunning the Korean with a high knee followed by a barrage of punches, Masvidal easily took the first round, but played it conservative for the final two periods, countering the forward-pressing Bang with stiff jabs until the final bell. All three judges ruled the bout for Masvidal.

In the middleweight tournament reserve bout, UFC veteran Joe Doerksen trudged through three rounds to pound Izuru Takeuchi out for the TKO win. Though Takeuchi was ahead, Doerksen turned the tables by reversing Takeuchi to take mount in the third period, whereupon he sluggishly pounded on a defenseless Takeuchi before the referee called the bout at 4:13.

In the tournament’s semifinals, Kitaoka proved that foreigners aren’t the only ones he can tap in seconds by submitting Eiji Mitsuoka early in the first round. Refusing to touch gloves, Kitaoka apparently knew he would be in and out of the ring quickly. Kitaoka shot in early, picking up the sprawled Mitsuoka and putting him on his back, whereupon he took a leg and cinched the heelhook for the tap at 1:16.

Just moments prior, Yokota outpointed Mizuto Hirota to punch his ticket to the lightweight finals. Yokota proved too quick and elusive for Hirota, dodging his mile-wide hooks to counter with stinging jabs, one-twos, and low kicks. Controlling Hirota on the ground as well, Yokota won an overwhelming decision.

In the middleweight bracket, Nakamura had a drawn-out three round battle with Yuki Sasaki, taking the fight on the strength of his striking and two takedowns. From inside Sasaki’s guard, Nakamura pounded away, bloodying Sasaki up and winning all three judges’ votes to head into the middleweight finals.

Opening the show, Santiago made quick work of Siyar Bahadurzada, tapping him at 1:10 in the first round by heelhook. After the 183-pound Shooto champion slammed Santiago into the canvas, the American Top Team rep reversed, taking Bahadurzada’s back in the clinch. Santiago dropped immediately for the submission, and quickly got the tap.

Feb 7, 2006
Pat Miletich returns at Dec. 11 Adrenaline MMA to fight Thomas Denny

Adrenaline MMA CEO Monte Cox is bringing in a big gun to help his upstart promotion gain some traction.

Cox, who also represents many of the sport's top fighters, held the first Adrenaline MMA event earlier this year in front of a sparse crowd, and a second show scheduled for September (then October) was eventually postponed for a variety of reasons.

But as Ron Kruck reported on the most recent edition of HDNet's "Inside MMA," the second Adrenaline MMA show will take place Dec. 11 with MMA trailblazer Pat Miletich (28-7-2) and King of the Cage and EliteXC veteran Thomas Denny (26-17) headlining the event.

The show takes place Dec. 11 at the i wireless Center in Moline, Ill., and airs live on HDNet.

Miletich, a legendary trainer and former UFC welterweight champion, returns from his two-year layoff from professional competition. He last competed in September 2006 at an IFL event, where he suffered a first-round submission loss to Renzo Gracie. That fight came after a four-and-a-half-year layoff from 2002 to 2006. The Denny fight will be just his second in nearly six years.

Miletich, who's since devoted most of his time to the Miletich Fighting Systems team in Iowa, meets Denny, a popular California-based fighter and former KOTC champ who last fought in July and suffered a second-round TKO to Nick Diaz in a CBS-televised bout.

Denny, 37, is only three years younger than 40-year-old MIletich.

According Kruck, Cox-managed fighters Ben Rothwell (29-6) and Ryan McGivern (12-6) are also scheduled for the event, though no opponents have been revealed.

In our latest edition of "Fight Biz," Cox discussed Adrenaline MMA's recent postponement and told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he was simply shoring up funding before he confirmed his next event date.

"We want to do two or three Adrenaline shows a year," he said. "Our funding has been kind of delayed because of all the stuff that's going on (with the economy). We've been assured (that) we're all set, but until I get the funding, I’m just not ready to do anything."

Apparently, that funding came through.

Feb 7, 2006
THALES LEITES MOVING CLOSER TO UFC TITLE SHOT

Picking up his fifth win in the UFC last weekend by submitting Drew McFedries, Thales Leites also took one step closer towards realizing his dream of becoming middleweight champion.

When original opponent Goran Reljic was forced out of the bout with Leites due to an injury, McFedries stepped in on short notice to take the fight, but the bout was moved to the preliminary card as opposed to the main card as first slotted.

Was the change a disappointment to Leites who has been battling his way towards a title shot for some time now?

“Yes a little bit,” he admitted to MMAWeekly.com following the fight. “But they showed my fight anyways, that's okay.”

As the fight began, most critics had predicted a fast finish by either Leites using his considerable advantage on the ground, or McFedries with his heavy hands. The Miletich based fighter almost capitalized on an early punch that seemed to catch Leites off guard, but it was nothing he couldn’t handle.

“It hurt me a little bit, but nothing to stop me,” Leites said about the punch.

From there on out it was obvious that Leites knew he had a much more accomplished grappling background than his opponent, and shortly thereafter he applied a rear naked choke and McFedries tapped out.

So what’s next for Leites? Well, many fans have asked for a rematch between he and Nate Marquardt because of a fair amount of controversy that surrounded the last contest between the two fighters, but Leites feels no need to go back.

“No. I already passed by him,” Leites commented about a possible rematch with Marquardt. “I'm looking forward now.”

The 185-pound gold is ultimately the test that Leites wants to pass, but he stays patient in waiting for the opportunity to come along in the future.

“I think I'm almost there,” he stated. “And I will keep doing my homework every time and going step by step until the title shot.”

The jiu-jitsu phenom is also more than willing to face fighters such as Rich Franklin, Dan Henderson or Michael Bisping on the way to the top, and with a quick finish in his last fight he wouldn’t mind that being sooner rather than later.

“I would like to fight with every one of them, they are top fighters and I want to fight with the tops, if it happens it will be a great pleasure and honor to me,” Leites commented about the trio of top middleweights.

“I really want to fight again as soon as possible. I don't know when they will call me again, but I'm already ready.”

Leites also mentioned the support of great sponsors like MTX Audio and Sprawl for helping him to get to and through the fight with McFedries.

Feb 7, 2006
WEC 36: THE REBUILDING OF JENS PULVER

Former UFC lightweight champion Jens Pulver was in a heap at the mat’s edge. AMC Pankration head Matt Hume has just given him one of the worst beatings he could remember in his ten-year career. And Pulver was no stranger to brutal workouts – as a Miletich Fighting Systems mainstay, he had taken as many beatings as he had given. But this one was different. He actually thought about quitting, going back home.

“I was so broken, I didn’t know whether to cry,” he told MMAWeekly Radio on Thursday. “On the inside, I had this one little growing ember left, this one little piece of hope left going you know what? If I stay at this, if I work at this, I can be like that? Damn.”

Pulver said he was ashamed of his performance against Urijah Faber at WEC 34. In every exchange, he felt a step behind. Faber was too fast for him. Hume had an opinion about that, too.

“Matt Hume said you’re forty percent of where you could be,” Pulver said. “I’m like, huh? I was fighting Urijah (Faber) at forty percent?”

Pulver admits that the creature comforts of his Iowa lifestyle had dulled his skills over the years. Being close to the office took away the urgency of upcoming fights. It wasn’t like he was oblivious to the idea of going to a training camp – he had one in his neighborhood. But getting away never crossed his mind.

“Especially when you’ve been doing it for so long, you’ve got to break that comfort,” he said. “I was growing stagnant. Eight or nine years in one place, it was just simply for me to get a new look, a new change.

“I’m man enough to admit, I watched the sport evolve right by me.”

Now, he has little to concern him outside the AMC gym. He’s got a place to sleep, eat, and train. That’s it. The former champ says it’s going to stay that way in the future.

“I love it,” he said. “I’m as happy as can be. I’m still going to go home, but I just need that training atmosphere.”

Pulver’s conditioned fear of Washington, borne of a traumatic childhood growing up just outside of Seattle, no longer holds power over him. In the past, he had avoided every opportunity to return.

“All these people kept trying to get me to go back,” he said. “They even tried to induct me into the high school hall of fame,” Pulver said. “That didn’t work, I made my brother go get the award.”

Pulver’s goal is to get where Hume says he can be, using eighty percent of his skills in the cage. His challenge on Nov. 5, Leonard Garcia, promises to be an intense fight for both. Neither man likes to back down, and will happily stand in the pocket and trade until someone falls down.

“Everything I’m doing is built on building my explosion, keeping the endurance I already had so I don’t go out there and look so dang slow,” Pulver said.

Being broken down for the first time since his early days at Miletich has given him a new sense of confidence.

“I was confident before just to get out there and fight, I didn’t really care about a gameplan, I was just going to let the fight happen,” he said. “Now, the biggest thing is for me not to get overwhelmed.”

Feb 7, 2006
Karo Parisyan next fight likely against Dong Hyun ‘Stun Gun’ Kim at UFC 94

Karo Parisyan is penciled in to collide with Dong Hyun “Stun Gun” Kim (11-0-1) in a welterweight tilt at UFC 94, which is scheduled for the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on January 31, according to MMAWeekly.com.

Parisyan — who just signed a new eight-fight contract extension with the promotion — is currently recovering from an injury that forced him to withdraw from a fight against Yoshiyuki “Zenko” Yoshida at UFC 88: “Breakthrough” in September literally hours before showtime.

It was an unfortunate situation that was made more curious with his recent admission the he has been dealing with panic attacks — numerous fans claimed “The Heat” merely had a case of cold feet.

Regardless, the Armenian was stopped by rising star Thiago “Pitbull” Alves in the second round because of strikes in his most recent performance at UFC Fight Night 13. The typically gracious Parisyan was uncharacteristically sour on the stoppage, claiming that referee Steve Mazzagatti was premature in his decision to halt the bout.

While Parisyan may have suffered another setback in his quest for the welterweight championship, he is still a dangerous opponent, going 8-2 since being outpointed by current 170-pound champ Georges “Rush” St. Pierre back in 2004.

However, a loss against Kim could be catastrophic for the UFC career of Parisyan, who UFC President Dana White recently referred to as “a gatekeeper.”

“Stun Gun” was actually the beneficiary of Parisyan’s UFC 88 debacle, having his Octagon encore against The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) alum Matt Brown bumped to the televised portion of the pay-per-view (PPV) broadcast. The popular South Korean earned a close split decision win against “Immortal.”

Kim stopped Jason Tan in his inaugural appearance for the promotion at UFC 84: “Ill Will” back in May, pounding out his opponent with elbows in the final frame. The promising DEEP veteran will look to keep his perfect record intact and climb the welterweight ladder one rung at a time.

In fact, he leapfrog a few folks with an impressive win over an opponent like Parisyan.

UFC 94 will feature the welterweight superfight between former 170-pound champion and current lightweight kingpin BJ Penn versus reigning welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre, as well as the highly anticipated showdown between light heavyweight unbeatens Lyoto Machida and Thiago Silva.

Feb 7, 2006
Rafael Dias to replace Ed Ratcliff on Wednesday’s WEC show

American Top Team officials have announced that Rafael Dias has agreed to fight Danny Castillo in a lightweight bout set for this Wednesday’s WEC 36 event to emanate from the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Fla.

Dias will be replacing Ed Ratcliff, who is no longer scheduled to fight for unspecified reasons.

The 29-year old Brazilian will be making his WEC debut against Castillo and has competed nationally before in both the BodogFIGHT and IFL promotions.

Dias, 11-4-1, was 1-1-1 in three fights for Bodog with his most notable matchup taking place during the promotion’s Vancouver tapings in August of 2007. Facing current UFC lightweight Per Eklund, Dias lost via unanimous decision.

While in the IFL, he compiled a 1-1 record with a first round submission win over Santino Defranco in his debut this past February, followed by a knockout loss against L.C. Davis in a featherweight contest held this past April.

Castillo, 5-1, made his WEC debut at WEC 34 this past June in his hometown of Sacramento, Calif. Taking a bout vs. Donald Cerrone on short notice, Castillo lost via an armbar submission at 1:30 of round 1.

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
Your the one hyping his K-1 experience and like I said it is nothing to talk about because he never fought any top K-1 fighters as I stated previously I could care less about his fight with Samodev being horseshit like you say. How is a 10 and 3 record shit. So what if he is a wannabe striker who never takes the fight to the ground he is still 10-3-0 and has more experience.
I'm pretty sure I said K-1/kickboxing which implies other organizations other than K-1. It's all good .. you'll see come December. Records don't mean dick .. anyone impressed by records lives on fight finder. Jason Gilliam was 9-0 at one point and he's horrible, Wes Combs is 13-3 and he's also complete shit. Those are just two examples out of many.

Feb 7, 2006
I'm pretty sure I said K-1/kickboxing which implies other organizations other than K-1. It's all good .. you'll see come December. Records don't mean dick .. anyone impressed by records lives on fight finder. Jason Gilliam was 9-0 at one point and he's horrible, Wes Combs is 13-3 and he's also complete shit. Those are just two examples out of many.
Whatever dog no need for you to get all defensive just cuz I am not impressed with your boy. Other kickboxing org dont mean shit till you fight in K-1 which is the biggest kickboxing org out there. Yeah and anyone who does not take into account that experience can play a factor in a fight is clueless about fighting. Well does Frank mir vs Brock Lesnar ring a bell before that fight mir was 10-3 to brocks 1-0 and we all know who won that fight. also Mitsuhiro isihda vs Gilbert melendez before the fight Ishida was 14-3 -1 to Gilberts 13-0 and who one that one ishida did. Thoes are two of many aswell.

Feb 7, 2006
Matt Brown replaces Matthew Riddle at UFC 91

With Matthew Riddle recently forced out of the bout with a knee injury, welterweight Ryan Thomas (9-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC) will instead meet veteran fighter and "The Ultimate Fighter 7" cast member Matt Brown (7-7 MMA, 1-1 UFC) at next week's UFC 91 event.

UFC 91 takes place Nov. 15 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and airs live on pay per view.

The Wrestling Observer first reported the replacement on Saturday.

As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported on Friday, Riddle suffered a knee injury during a training session and will soon undergo a second MRI. It's believed he may suffered an ACL injury or torn meniscus.

Brown, an Ohio-based fighter who advanced to the "TUF" quarterfinals after defeating Josh Hall and Jeremy May, eventually lost to show champion Amir Sadollah.

However, Brown rebounded at the show's live finale and defeated "TUF 6" veteran Matt Arroyo with a second-round TKO. He most recently fought in Atlanta at UFC 88, where he dropped a close split decision to a tough Dong Hyun Kim at the Sept. 6 event.

Thomas made his professional debut in April 2007. The 23-year-old worked his way through smaller organizations in the Midwest, including Courage Fighting Championships and Extreme Challenge, and he won nine of his first 10 bouts to earn a ticket into the UFC. He made his octagon debut in August at UFC 87 and suffered a second-round submission loss to Ben Saunders.

The Thomas-Brown fight will appear on the night's un-televised preliminary card.