MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
UFC 91 televised main card finalized

The UFC has confirmed a total of five televised fights for the Nov. 15 "UFC 91: Couture vs. Lesnar" event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

The pay-per-view event is headlined by a UFC heavyweight championship fight between current title-holder Randy Couture, who returns from a one-year layoff following a contract dispute with the UFC, and former WWE superstar and UFC rookie Brock Lesnar.

Four other bouts, including a key lightweight bout between contenders Kenny Florian and Joe Stevenson, will also be on the televised card.

They'll be joined by "The Ultimate Fighter 7" winner Amir Sadollah, heavyweight contender Gabriel Gonzaga, and "TUF 1" alumnus Nate Quarry.

Unfortunately, relegated to the night's preliminary card are many of the UFC's top prospects, including new Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt Dustin Hazelett, the high-energy Jeremy Stephens and hard-hitting "TUF 7" quarter-finalist Matt Riddle.

The full card includes:

MAIN CARD (TELEVISED)

Champ Randy Couture vs. Brock Lesnar (for UFC heavyweight title)
Kenny Florian vs. Joe Stevenson
Nick Catone vs. Amir Sadollah
Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Josh Hendricks
Demian Maia vs. Nate Quarry
PRELIMINARY CARD (UN-TELEVISED)

Dustin Hazelett vs. Tamdan McCrory
Jorge Gurgel vs. Aaron Riley
Jeremy Stephens vs. Rafael dos Anjos
Mark Bocek vs. Alvin Robinson
Matthew Riddle vs. Ryan Thomas

Feb 7, 2006
GEORGES ST. PIERRE READY FOR PENN; IS SILVA NEXT?

UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre won his fight with UFC lightweight champion BJ Penn by a razor’s edge.

Their UFC 58 battle was another example in a running debate amongst mixed martial arts fans – should the most damaged fighter be declared the loser? St. Pierre definitely lost in that department – he spent a night in a Las Vegas hospital, badly banged up – but two judges ruled he had come out ahead on points, giving him the 29-28 nod.

Two-and-a-half years removed from that important bout, St. Pierre wants to eliminate all the "what ifs." In a recent video interview with MMAWeekly.com, he spoke about fighting Penn for a second time.

“I’m a different fighter than I used to be,” he said. “And he is as well. This time, I want to take him out. I don’t want to go to a decision. I want to finish him.”

The fight is not signed yet, but St. Pierre thinks it will be sometime in the next week.

He left for Albuquerque, N.M. to get some training in with Greg Jackson’s camp. Right now, he’s gathering information from a variety of sources before putting it all together in an MMA-only environment.

St. Pierre’s countryman and teammate, Patrick Cote, is neck deep in his preparation for Anderson Silva at UFC 90. The fight poses an interesting question for St. Pierre’s future. He has previously said he would be open to going up a weight division to face Silva. Given he won’t fight his teammate, would another Penn victory push him towards the middleweight champion?

“A lot of people have been challenging me so far,” he said. “I have a lot of friends at 185. To tell you the truth, I’m not afraid of challenging nobody at 185. I’m very confident in myself.

“I think I can do pretty well (against Silva). I think I’m a different fighter than all the guys who have fought him in the past. There’s only one way to find out.”

These are the questions for three champions dominant in their respective weight groups.

St. Pierre says a lot of stars would have to be in alignment for a Silva fight to happen, and Penn is more than enough for now. If and when they square off on the 31st of January, St. Pierre wants to be the one doing the most damage.

“It’s a fight that everybody wants to see, including myself,” he said.

Feb 7, 2006
Yoshida says no to Akiyama, comments on Ishii

Hidehiko Yoshida appeared in the opening ceremony of a baseball game on Oct 10. After throwing out a pitch, he answered questions from the press.

"When I was watching DREAM.6 on TV, Yoshihiro Akiyama said he wanted to fight me after his fight. I was very surprised. His offer is not realistic. We are in the different weight class, and also belong to different events.

"I don't know Satoshi Ishii personally. I have heard about that he is interested in MMA, but I never thought he's actually thinking about switching to MMA right now. I wish Japanese Judo organization admits us to work as a fighter and participate in Judo tournaments at the same time. I personally want to see him in the next Olympic.
"He better continue Judo as long as he can. If I can, I want to participate in a Judo tournament and challenge him. I have a confidence to defeat him in Judo...… I want to see how good he is in Judo.

"I'm training and will be ready to fight in a New Year event.

Feb 7, 2006
Bisping laughs at Leben's conditioning claims

Mike Bisping has laughed off Chris Leben’s claims that he will run out of steam in their headline clash at UFC 89.

Leben told Fighters Only yesterday that he will take Bisping into “deep waters” where he expects him to struggle.

“Yeah, I’m going to be gassed out after a minute just like I have been in all my other fights,” is Bisping’s sarcastic response.

The British middleweight has been the distance twice in his UFC career – and both of those fights were at light-heavyweight.

Comparing Leben to Rashad Evans and Matt Hamill, Bisping told Fighters Only: “I don’t think he brings anything extra to the table.”

“It’s well documented he takes a good punch. Whether that is the smartest gameplan in the world is another thing.”

Feb 7, 2006
Guida Featured on HDNet's 'Inside MMA'
videolink: http://www.sherdog.com/videos/recent/Guida-Featured-on-HDNets-Inside-MMA-1794
Join Bas Rutten, Kenny Rice and guest panelists Clay Guida, Jay Hieron and Antonio McKee on this week's HDNet "Inside MMA."

The panel reviews EliteXC "Heat" and Strikeforce "Payback." Also, a preview of upcoming UFC events and highlights from around the globe.

Feb 7, 2006
Pyle, Alessio, Hieron Grab Wins

LAS VEGAS -- From the ashes of a cancelled Affliction card rose a lineup Saturday inside the Thomas & Mack Center that featured up-and-comers and quality veterans from Xtreme Couture. Save for the lackluster main event between kickboxing legend Rick Roufus and UFC veteran Hector Ramirez, every fight on the Night of Combat bill was entertaining.

Roufus, a six-time world champion in kickboxing, did well in the opening round. But once Ramirez took “The Jet” off his feet, it was all downhill for the middle-aged legend. Roufus found it almost impossible to scramble out from being pinned in side control and full mount -- a bad position he found himself in for virtually every second of rounds two and three.

“I watched him through American kickboxing all the time when I was in junior high,” Ramirez said after he was awarded a unanimous decision via three tallies of 29-28. “I knew he kicked hard and I didn’t want to let him get going, so I needed to take him down. He caught me with a good head kick in the first, so I had to be smart and keep him off his feet.”

In the only other match to go three full rounds, IFL champion Jay Hieron pounded last-minute replacement Chris Kennedy to win a lopsided unanimous decision, 30-27 on all three cards. Hieron battered and repeatedly slammed Kennedy -- a replacement for Bryson Kamaka, who had been scratched for failing a prefight urinalysis.

Kennedy was cut on his forehead and suffered a gruesome hematoma above his left eye, but he never stopped fighting back.

“He stepped up like a warrior. He was bloody and he just kept going,” Hieron said of Kennedy. “I’ve been sitting on the sidelines for six months being a cheerleader, and it felt good to finally get back in there. It’s been a long time since I’ve been able to use my elbows, too. With Xtreme Couture, it’s ground-and-pound 101. It wasn’t my best performance because I didn’t have any time to really prepare for this guy, and he was tough.”

UFC veterans Gideon Ray and John Alessio were fired up at Friday’s weigh-ins as the two exchanged verbal barbs and promised fireworks. Come fight time, Alessio lit his fuse first and blew up Ray. Ray had charged at Alessio and trapped him in his own corner, but a lazy right cross from the Chicago fighter allowed for Alessio to quickly counter with a crippling left hook.

The punch floored Ray instantly, and Alessio unloaded a barrage of left-handed hammer strikes, with his final three knocking Ray completely out in just 45 seconds.

“This training camp was phenomenal,” an elated Alessio said afterward. “I got to work with everybody this time. … They said that left hook would be there all day, and it was.”

Ray was out on his back for a short period of time, but it took him several minutes before he was able to get off his stool and walk out of the ring. He was then met by a legion of hecklers and had to be restrained by commissioners and his team.

Mike Pyle slipped on a slick armbar to submit Brian Gassaway 4:21 into the first round. Pyle had a surprisingly easy time, as he scored a terrific takedown early and quickly moved to full mount. From there, he peppered his foe with various strikes, and when Gassaway tried to roll out to escape, the arm was there for the taking.

“I had him down, and he was a bit sideways so I got the arm lock,” Pyle said. “I wanted to pound him out a little more and make him quit, but I’ll take the submission. That’s what I’m all about anyway.”

Josh Haynes also scored a submission, tapping fellow former UFC stablemate Sean Salmon at 2:49 into the second round with an Achilles lock.

Other results:

JJ Mix def. John Halverson -- TKO (strikes) 4:25 R1
Kui Gonsalves def. Shawn David -- submission (kimura) 3:51 R2
Elena Reid def. Stephanie Palmer -- TKO (strikes) :53 R1
Ryan Hass def. Ian Omalza -- submission (armbar) 3:09 R1

Feb 7, 2006
DREAM champ Gegard Mousasi seeks boxing world title, move to 205 pounds

Riding an 11-fight win streak, DREAM middleweight grand prix winner and new DREAM middleweight champ Gegard Mousasi now intends to chase after a world title in boxing.

Mousasi shared his vision with his management company, M-1, who shared the news in a recent press release.

"First I want to thank everybody that supported me to reach my goal of becoming the DREAM grand prix champion," Mousasi stated. "I see this title as the stepping stone to accomplish my real desire, and that is to also become the world champion in boxing."

The Armenian striker believes that his management company -- which also represents WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko -- has strategic partnerships in place that will allow him to pursue a boxing career.

"Because M-1 is nowadays cooperating with Affliction and Golden Boy (Promotions), I think this dream can come true," he stated.

In addition to branching out into a new career, Mousasi will also look to move up to the light-heavyweight division for future MMA contests.

"In MMA I will go up to 93 kilograms (205 pounds)," Mousasi stated. "Not only to increase my strength, but if I fight between 85 and 93 kilograms in boxing, I have quite a wide range to test my skills before I decide in which weight class I enter boxing competition."

Just 23 years old, Mousasi has been victorious in 23 of his past 24 bouts.

A veteran of DREAM, PRIDE and DEEP, Mousasi defeated Denis Kang, Dong Sik Yoon, Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza and Melvin Manhoef to win this year's inaugural DREAM middleweight grand prix.

No time table was announced for Mousasi's boxing debut.

Feb 7, 2006
"EliteXC: A Night of Champions" tickets on sale

Tickets for "EliteXC: A Night of Champions," which takes Nov. 8 at the Reno Events Center in Reno, Nev. are currently on sale.

While the finalized fight card is expected to be announced this week, EliteXC has already committed to fulfilling the promise delivered with the name of the Showtime-broadcast event. Middleweight champion Robbie Lawler will defend his title against Joe Villasenor, while contenders Eddie Alvarez and Nick Diaz will meet for the vacant lightweight belt.

Light-heavyweight Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante has also been announced for the card, and may compete for the organization's first-ever 205-pound title.

Tickets are available in all sections of the 7,000 seat Reno Events Center. Seats on the floor range from $37.75 to $227.75, while the remaining tickets are priced from $37.75 to $52.75.

Doors open for the event at 4 p.m. PT, and the first fight begins at 5 p.m. PT.

All tickets are available at ticketmaster.com.

The evening's officially announced fight card includes:

Champ Robbie Lawler vs. Joe Villasenor (for EliteXC middleweight title)
Eddie Alvarez vs. Nick Diaz (for vacant EliteXC lightweight title)
Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante vs. TBA
Hector Lombard vs. Scott Smith
Kaitlin Young vs. Sarah Kaufman

Feb 7, 2006
Benji Radach plans on 2009 return, possible EliteXC title shot

While the stunning performance that opened up the recent "EliteXC: Heat" broadcast has since become a footnote to the controversy surrounding the evening's main event, middleweight slugger Benji Radach (19-4) may still benefit from the win.

While a guest on a recent episode of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmmajunkie.com), Radach said he may be in line for a title shot in early 2009.

"[EliteXC] hasn't given me a straight-up answer yet," Radach said. "But they're kind of hinting back and forth between getting [a title shot] right off the bat and also maybe fighting Scott Smith beforehand."

Radach said that if granted, the shot would come early next year.

"It would be 2009," Radach said. "I think February."

Despite having just one fight for EliteXC, Radach debuted in stellar fashion. Leading off the Oct. 4 CBS broadcast, the 29-year-old outlasted former EliteXC middleweight champion Murilo "Ninja" Rua in a shootout.

"It was tough," Radach said of his bout with Rua. "That guy was just a tough dude. He took a lot of shots. He was giving them right back.

"I threw down so hard that first round that I really had to sit in the back seat that second round and let him dictate the pace for a minute so I could get my wind back, then hopefully pull it off in the end of the round -- or at least win the end of the round. It worked out for me."

The tension between the two strikers was palpable during the bout. Radach said the pressure was built through the ferocity of Rua and his teammates in the days leading up to the bout.

"There was a lot of emotion in the fight, and I think it was just because of the Chute Boxe guys," Radach said. "Those guys always kind of get in your face and stir things up.

"[Rua] definitely was. At the pre-fight press-conference, and then at the weigh-ins, he was in my face and kind of stirring up emotions for our fight. I don't know if it worked for him. I know it made me more focused and aggressive. It definitely stirs up some emotion and gets the fight going."

Once the action moves from the build-up to the cage, Radach and Rua took turns throwing haymakers.

"It was amazing," Radach said. "I caught him with some big shots. And I'd see him hurt -- he'd be looking through me. Then I would just miss him with a finishing shot. Then he'd be right back to his feet, his bearings were right back in place.

"It was really amazing, because I really did catch him with some hard shots that would finish a lot of people. And he was right there, right back in my face. I couldn't believe it."

Radach would eventually land a stunning sequence of crushing blows that put a halt to the bout in the second round. Rua was very slow in recovering, spending several minutes on the mat following the stoppage.

Radach is certainly not an unknown commodity for hardcore MMA fans. A UFC and IFL veteran, the slugger has always been known for his heavy hands and exciting style. But with an impressive win on network television, Radach's stock soared overnight.

"It was great," Radach said. "I think all the CBS stuff really added to everything, and stirred up a lot of attention -- which was really cool. I had a great experience, and then to come out with a win like that was pretty awesome."

And by performing at his peak when it mattered most, Radach's next bout could very well be for the EliteXC middleweight championship.

"It's cool what TV does," Radach said. "It got me right up there, and I did have the best night of my life on TV. I was blessed with that."

Feb 7, 2006
After "fighting two people," Roy Nelson seeks rematch with Arlovski

While it may not have been the most aesthetically pleasing strategy, the ground-based strategy implemented by Roy Nelson (13-3) against former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski (14-5) at "EliteXC: Heat" was undeniably effective.

But after a much-discussed stand-up from the match referee -- while Nelson was working for a possible fight-ending kimura -- Nelson abandoned the strategy. Arlovski then used his quickness and athleticism to score crushing blows on the feet en route to a second-round TKO win.

Realizing the mistake his frustration caused, Nelson recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) he wants a second chance.

"For me, I was just frustrated in the fight," Nelson said. "Because the first round I thought I was in a dominant position, and I still have the ref telling me that I need to work, and I had a kimura. Then I moved to something else, and the next thing I know I'm standing up."

The winner of five-straight bouts heading into they Oct. 4 clash, Nelson said having his strategy interrupted affected his mental approach to the remainder of the fight.

"For me, I felt like in the second round my head wasn't quite there," Nelson admitted. "I felt like I was fighting two people. I'm fighting Andrei, and then I'm worrying about if I do a takedown again [I might be stood up.]"

Nelson chose not to enter the debate regarding the justification of the referee's decision during the bout. Rather than argue one side or the other, Nelson now simply realizes he can not allow the referee's decisions to affect his focus.

"For me, I just felt like it took me out of my game in the second round," Nelson said. "Because the ref -- from here on, I learned from it."

Despite the loss, just the third in Nelson's four-year career, "Big Country" feels he's still a top-10 caliber fighter. And above all, Neslon can't wait for another crack at Arlovski.

"I still believe I'm one of the top-10 fighters in the world," Nelson said. "And that's why I can't wait to fight Andrei in the future. I'm going to put some more wins underneath my belt and then Andrei's going to beat up Fedor (Emelianenko), and from there on I'm going to just take it to him."

Feb 7, 2006
Jake Shields: Lack of EliteXC depth at 170 pounds may force change

With the dust settled after a back-and-forth title affair at "EliteXC: Heat," EliteXC welterweight champion Jake Shields (22-4-1) feels he may be forced to make a change in his career.

While a recent guest of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), Shields reinforced his possible move to 185 pounds -- and also hinted at opportunities outside of the organization.

"I have no problem fighting at 170 (pounds) if I have the right people to fight," Shields said. "But unfortunately, besides the UFC, there's just not a lot of huge fights right now."

Currently ranked No. 3 in the world in WAMMA's welterweight poll, Shields is the only fighter in the top-10 not fighting in a Zuffa, LLC-owned organization. That fact may encourage Shields to move up to 185 pounds.

"There are some really good [185 pound fighters] outside the UFC, so it puts me in a situation where I'm kind of stuck," Shields said. "I have to go up in weight or fight guys that don't have the same name recognition."

Riding an 11-fight win streak, the Cesar Gracie Jiu-Jitsu fighter has knocked off the likes of Carlos Condit, Yushin Okami, Mike Pyle, Paul Daley and Nick Thompson. With two fights remaining on his EliteXC contract, Shields sugested a move to the UFC may be a possibility.

"To get the big fights, you've got to fight the guys with equal name recognition," Shields explained "So I'm kind of stuck in a situation where either I have to go to the UFC or fight up a weight."

Shields also discussed his Oct. 4 bout with Paul Daley, what happened behind the curtains at the event's official weigh-ins, and how he's been spending his days since the victory. To hear the full interview, download Monday's edition of TAGG Radio, available for free in the TAGG Radio archives.

Feb 7, 2006
MORE MATURE, RAMPAGE READY FOR AXE MURDERER

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson is back in the U.S. after a trip across the pond to the U.K., where he’s set up shop at the Wolfslair gym alongside teammates Paul Kelly and Michael Bisping.

Jackson’s commute is hard on his family life, so he lavishes attention on his four children when he returns.

“My dad was a working man. He was in the National Guard, be gone for two weeks at a time,” Jackson said in an exclusive video interview with MMAWeekly.com. “My big boys understand; my two little babies, they don’t know. They just know, ‘daddy gone, pow, pow.’”

Jackson immediately took a liking to the Wolfslair when Bisping invited him there to train for his fight with Dan Henderson at UFC 75. Jackson successfully defended his title, but lost it in a subsequent five-round war with Forrest Griffin at UFC 86. After leaving former trainer Juanito Ibarra, he felt a move across the pond was necessary.

“The managers and stuff over there are really good, and it’s just really a good atmosphere,” he said. “The guys work really hard. I needed a change in my training and how people trained me. I’m a Werewolf, and the name of the gym is the Wolfslair. You do the math.”

Wolfslair trainers have Jackson doing things he’s never done for a fight.

“I’m swimming now,” he said. “It’s helping my cardio get a lot better. I’ve started lifting weights. What do you call it, strength and conditioning.”

Change seems to be the only constant in Jackson’s life. Only three months ago, he was riding high with a UFC belt, soaking in the perks of the position. After the Griffin loss, his world seemed to take a seismic shift; a breakup from Ibarra, a high-profile brush with the law, and training relocation to a foreign land came in rapid succession. In the middle of all this, he was offered a fight at UFC 92 with Wanderlei Silva, a man who not only beat him, but beat him badly on two separate occasions.

Heady times for anyone; let alone a person in the spotlight. Jackson says his age has made him a wiser man, and more capable against a monster like Silva.

“I think this fight will be different because I think I’m more mature now,” he said. “I’m a lot older, got a lot more experience. I fought Wanderlei both times when I was a kid, I feel like I was a kid in this sport. I got a little bit better skills now. I won’t have to fight Chuck Liddell first, and this time there won’t be so much pressure. We’re not fighting for any championship, we’re just going out there and fighting for money.”

Jackson will certainly know if his life changes have made him a better fighter when he steps into the Octagon with Silva in December. But first and foremost, he wants his fans to know that he won’t be distracted by the whirlwind around him.

“I’ve got the best people around me. I’m a child of God,” he said. “Ain’t nothing distracting me, homie. Trust me.”

Feb 7, 2006
M-1 GLOBAL TO MIDWEST WITH ULTIMATE FIGHTER

M-1 Global on Thursday announced their first incursion onto U.S. soil with “M-1 Challenge 8,” scheduled for Oct. 29 in Kansas City, Mo.

Few details are known about the card, but Xtreme Couture light heavyweight Mike Whitehead has been named as one half of the main event. He learned of the fight two weeks ago.

The promotion will attempt to capitalize on the former “Ultimate Fighter” cast member’s Mid-western roots. Whitehead was a wrestling standout at the University of Missouri, where he was a three-time All American.

According to Whitehead’s manager, Monte Cox, the show was originally scheduled to take place in Canada, but there were concerns about finding a promoter versed in television production. HDNet Fights is a broadcast partner of M-1 Global, and will film the event for the MMA clearing house.

Feb 7, 2006
Report: Shamrock Brothers sign to fight each other

Estranged adoptive brothers Ken Shamrock and Frank Shamrock have both signed contracts in principle to fight each other in 2009, according to a new article by Michael Woods of ESPN.com.

The two have expressed a public interest in fighting each other for the past several years and plans appeared to be in motion earlier this year to stage a fight between the two sometime in 2008. However, the proposed bout was put on the back burner following Ken’s first round knockout loss to journeyman heavyweight Robert “Buzz” Berry during a ProElite-promoted Cage Rage event in London this past March. Shamrock was released from his ProElite contract following the loss.

A further shadow of doubt regarding the bout was cast after Frank suffered a broken arm in a TKO (medical stoppage) loss to Cung Le during a co-promotion between EliteXC and Strikeforce later the same month.

Whether the bout comes off is far from certain, as Frank Shamrock went so far as to launch a “Blood Brothers” website earlier this year with a countdown to a pay-per-view event that was never formally set. However, the younger Shamrock is quoted as telling ESPN.com that both have agreed to move forward with the fight.

“We’ve both signed a contract to fight each other,” Shamrock, 35, is quoted as telling ESPN.com. “Ken is down with it. We talked about it two years ago, and we’ve agreed materially to fight.”

Older brother Ken, who is 44, doesn’t often agree with his brother but apparently is on the same page publicly for once.

“Will the fight happen? Absolutely,” the older Shamrock told ESPN.com. “He’s got a buttkicking coming to him. Everything I’ve learned, everything I have bottled up in me, is going to come out on him. I’ve still got love for Frank, but I’m angry at him.”

As of now, the report should be taken with a grain of salt until a promotion attaches its name to the bout. Both Shamrocks are highly-skilled in the art of self-promotion and this latest news could be nothing more than a case of the cart being put before the horse.

However, it does appear that officials with ProElite and EliteXC could have potential interest in the bout.

“They’re talking about doing it and we’re interested in the fight,” EliteXC Head of Fight Operations Jeremy Lappen is quoted in the article. “It’s a storyline everyone can relate to, Cain versus Abel.”

If ProElite moves ahead as the promoter of record in regards to the bout, the event will likely have to be distributed on pay-per-view as opposed to CBS or SHOWTIME. After Ken Shamrock was medically disqualified the day of a planned main event last weekend vs. Kimbo Slice on CBS’ Saturday Night Fights, Lappen refused to rule out working with the older Shamrock again. However, a source close to CBS speaking on the condition of anonymity informed FiveOuncesOfPain.com that the network had no interest in ever promoting a bout involving Ken Shamrock again.

Trying to sell a Shamrock vs. Shamrock feud without a marketing partner such as SHOWTIME and CBS could be difficult. While Lappen has been quoted in recent months as saying that EliteXC plans to hold several PPV events next year, it remains to be seen whether it could properly promote such a bout to the general public in its weakened financial condition.

It also remains to be seen just how accepting the public will be of seeing two brothers resort to violence in order to settle a grudge that has lasted for years. Both Ken and Frank are the adoptive sons of Bob Shamrock, founder of the Shamrock Home for Boys, a safe haven for troubled teenagers. They weren’t introduced to each other until Frank’s late teens and according to both brothers, neither ever shared a particularly close relationship. However, it was Ken who helped bring Frank into the sport and served as his primary mentor until the two parted ways in the mid-90s. According to Frank Shamrock, the two severed ties over philosophical differences regarding the direction of Frank’s fight career while Ken Shamrock has attributed their issues to Ken’s perception that Frank disrespected their adoptive father on multiple occasions.

Feb 7, 2006
Reljic Out of UFC 90

Goran Reljic has withdrawn from UFC 90 due to a lower back injury, the fighter’s manager, Zoran Saric, confirmed Sunday with Sherdog.com.

“He really doesn’t know what happened,” Saric said. “He was training and went to bed. Next day he woke up and he couldn’t move.”

Reljic (8-0) was scheduled to fight Thales Leites in a middleweight bout Oct. 25 in Rosemont, Ill. Saric is waiting on a second opinion regarding his fighter’s injury, but after an MRI, he described it as “muscular.”

The manager expects Reljic to rest his back for four to six weeks and then reevaluate his status. Meanwhile, the UFC will have little time to find someone to fight Leites.

“They weren’t happy, especially because it’s short notice, but there’s not much we can do right now,” Saric said after notifying the UFC of Reljic’s withdrawal. “He’s in pretty bad shape. There’s no way he can accept the fight.”

Feb 7, 2006
Analyzing Zuffa's Plans for the WEC & UFC

Zuffa’s plan to fold World Extreme Cagefighting’s middleweight and light heavyweight divisions into the UFC in 2009 leaves the sport with more questions than answers.

Parallel champions in the WEC suggested co-promotion would happen between the two organizations at some point. But talent-thin divisions in the WEC at 185 and 205 pounds were viewed as impediments and instead will be worked into the UFC fray.

Two titleholders -- light heavyweight Steve Cantwell and middleweight Paulo Filho -- have divergent fates entering the new organization. Cantwell and Brian Stann -- a rival against whom Cantwell may complete a trilogy in the UFC -- are going from big fish in a small cage to swimming in predator-infested waters. With or without a title, they are years away from being contenders in the UFC’s money weight class.

Filho should fare better, but he poses more headaches for the UFC. His grappling and MMA pedigree should land him an immediate shot for his division’s belt, but he’s close friends with UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, and they have said they won’t fight each other. Filho could jump to 205, where he has looked to move since he arrived in North America in 2007. There, however, he would have to jump into the UFC’s deepest division, where an immediate title shot seems unlikely.

Zuffa probably won’t allow Filho to play spoiler at 185 pounds if he refuses to face Silva. If Chael Sonnen defeats Filho at WEC 36 in November, though, the situation resolves itself. Sonnen’s personality, on the heels of a win over a fighter of Filho’s caliber, would make him a perceived threat to Silva and inspire Filho to enter a new weight class.

There’s an upside for both WEC champions, however. The move answers a frequently asked question: Can they compete in the UFC?

That’s why WEC welterweight champion Carlos Condit and lightweight titleholder Jamie Varner -- who won’t be going to the UFC -- lose in the merger. Despite facing stellar competition, questions still linger about where they’d fit in the UFC pecking order. In the WEC, they’ll continue to confront tough opposition in all-risk, no-reward battles.

In addition to Condit and Varner, the “little guys” will again become the biggest losers because they’re locked out of the UFC. While some -- like bantamweight champion Miguel Torres and featherweight kingpin Urijah Faber -- may be widely recognized as best in the world at their respective weights, they’ll still lack the prestige that should accompany such recognition.

Having long struggled with attaining the financial success larger fighters enjoy, the bantamweights and featherweights will remain outside the walls of the world’s biggest MMA promotion until further notice.

“The Ultimate Fighter” reality series might be a way for the WEC to cash in by giving the 135- and 145-pound fighters a fast track to fame. Torres and Faber definitively proved their worth this year, and it’s unfair that they haven’t reaped greater financial rewards.

The reality series could showcase non-UFC weight classes and popularize the WEC brand. Torres and Faber could coach against each other, leading to a mega-fight between them. In addition, it could serve as a natural transition for instituting two new weight classes in the UFC.

Giving TUF lighter weights and a WEC logo solves the show’s stagnation problem, too. By the end of season eight, there will have been three 155-pound winners in the past four seasons, while a hoard of quality fighters under the lightweight threshold have no major television vehicle. Booking them on TUF can re-establish a higher quality of contestants -- like those that came from season one -- on upcoming seasons.

The drawback to instituting new divisions in the UFC isn’t the “too many champions” argument; it’s the volume of fights. Building two new weight classes becomes daunting because there aren’t enough cards to feature everyone.

That’s why Zuffa should revisit the WEC’s transformation and include all the weight classes. Let fighters grow inside two promotions under the Zuffa banner. It would increase the quality of UFC and WEC shows and give more consistent exposure to mixed martial artists of varied experience levels.

Just because the WEC was once a feeder organization doesn’t mean it has to be perceived that way still. The International Fight League functioned as an upper mid-level show, and the WEC can do the same.

Patrick Cote, who challenges Silva for the middleweight crown at UFC 90 later this month, was sent back to TKO in Canada while still under contract with Zuffa. His fights there went largely unnoticed. That would change if fighters in similar positions were sent to the WEC instead. It gives the organization more quality competitors and keeps them fresh in the public eye.

In the end, there would be no shame in the WEC playing good to the UFC’s great.

Of course, Torres and Faber still have title defenses before the year’s out, and many stars would have to align for another change in direction with the WEC. It is certain, though, that how Zuffa handles the UFC’s sister promotion in 2009 will impact the peaking careers of fighters at all weights and the overall landscape of MMA.

Feb 7, 2006
An Outlaw in the Octagon

Dan Hardy never shirks a challenge.

Based out of Team Rough House, “The Outlaw” will face arguably his stiffest test to date when he makes his UFC debut against colorful Japanese veteran Akihiro Gono at UFC 89 this Saturday at the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham, England.

Hardy (19-6), who earlier this year signed a four-fight deal with the UFC, may be a new face to many mixed martial arts fans, but his talents are well respected at home and abroad.

“I’m the kind of fighter that likes to break people down, mixing in fast kicking and fast punching,” he says. “I’m always looking at finishing a fight. I’ll pick people apart and smile at them in the process. When I fight, you know it’s going to be exciting.”

Hardy, a professional since 2004, cut his teeth in the British fight promotion Cage Warriors, where he became a champion at two weights. A black belt in tae kwon do, he holds a victory over Hidetaka Monma and has tested himself against UFC veterans Forrest Petz, Chad Reiner and Yoshiyuki Yoshida.

Training alongside respected fighters like Paul Daley, Andre Winner and Jim Wallhead at the Team Rough House gym has benefited the native of Nottingham, England.

“We do a lot of stand-up stuff, a lot of sprawl-and-brawl,” Hardy says. “A lot of our guys have got a similar style, so we work off each other. We work a lot of technical stuff.”

Hardy also trains jiu-jitsu under Nathan Leverton with the Leicester Shoot Fighters. Leverton speaks highly of Hardy, who has won eight of his last nine fights -- a disqualification loss to Yoshida the only blemish.

“He’s one of the most professional guys I have ever worked with,” Leverton says. “He’s not just one of those guys who turn up to train. He structures his training sessions for each fight. The main thing about him is his drive and focus; he’s not in the sport just to be a big name down at the pub. When people ask him what he does, he tells them he’s a professional athlete, not a cage fighter. A guy like that is a dream to work with.”

Hardy also fine-tunes his submission game with groundbreaking Brazilian jiu-jitsu ace Eddie Bravo in Los Angeles. As a result, he calls California home for a substantial part of the year.

“I have been training there for the past two years, going backwards and forwards between there and England,” Hardy says. “My girlfriend lives in L.A., and it’s come to the stage that I am based out here most of the time. I like being in L.A. The weather’s nice, the people are polite … it’s a good place. But come fight time, I come back over [to England] to prepare at the Rough House.”

For the stand-up side of his game, Hardy works with Team Rough House’s respected striking coach, Owen Comrie, who has been with Hardy since a year before he turned professional.

“Dan’s got a high work ethic,” Comrie says. “He’s the sort of person that if he wants something, he goes and gets it. I’m not saying I am the greatest coach in the world, but we have a connection; it’s difficult to explain. It’s like a plant, and we have grown together. The connection we have makes it happen for us.”

Hardy’s gradual rise through the MMA welterweight ranks has led to his competing in the United States and Holland. After two victories for Greatest Common Multiple’s Cage Force promotion in Japan, Hardy got wind of rumor that the winner of the organization’s 2007 welterweight tournament would be rewarded with a UFC contract. It was quite an incentive for an aspiring mixed martial artist.

Initially, it did not go as Hardy hoped. After a pair of wins, he was paired with Yoshida in the final.

In the first round of their December 2007 encounter, Hardy offered skillful and stubborn resistance in the face of heavy takedowns, a judo throw and an array of submission attempts. He ended a competitive first round on Yoshida’s back.

Four seconds into the second round, the fight was over. The finish came courtesy of an accidental kick to Yoshida’s groin. Unable to continue, the rising Japanese star was declared the winner by disqualification.

“It was a very disappointing way to lose,” Hardy says with a sigh. “Knowing what was at stake, Yoshida getting the UFC contract in those circumstances was really annoying. He changed levels, and my kick went straight into his [groin]. It wasn’t my intention. The plan had been to take him out of his comfort zone and into the second round. Then that happened.”

Now that both men are on the UFC roster, Hardy has grown lukewarm to the subject of a rematch with Yoshida.

“If that’s what the UFC wants, then fine, but that’s up to the UFC,” he says. “I’m sure they have a plan for me, and if part of that is Yoshida, then that would be fantastic.”

Despite the disappointing defeat to Yoshida, Hardy was back in action a week later, as he stopped Manuel Garcia with strikes in the first round at a Cage Warriors show. Turns out that UFC matchmaker Joe Silva had been keeping a shrewd eye on the Englishman for some time.

“It was a strange story,” Hardy says. “After I beat former UFC veteran Chad Reiner, I signed my contact with the UFC. The problem was, shortly afterwards, I had a fight scheduled [against Daniel Weichel]. The way I chose to look at it was that if I couldn’t beat this guy, I didn’t belong in the UFC.”

The experience may have served as an invaluable dry run in dealing with the “Octagon jitters” many fighters have described during their first UFC appearance.

“It was nerve-wracking,” Hardy says. “When I stepped into the cage, the pressure hit me, and I realized what was on the line. If I lost, the UFC contract goes. It was that simple. I spent three minutes defending takedowns, d’arces [and] guillotines. I just couldn’t switch on and relax.”

The voice of one of his Team Rough House teammates threw Hardy back in gear.

“Jim Wallhead looked me in the eye from the corner and said, ‘Calm down,’ which woke me up,” Hardy says. “So I took a deep breath, and in the second [round] I reversed him, grounded-and-pounded from half guard and finished the fight.”

Birmingham, site of UFC 89, rests a little more than 50 miles from Hardy’s hometown.

“I think it is going to help me,” Hardy says. “It will be all the same people that have watched my fights at Cage Warriors shows, and I don’t have to alter my sleep pattern like when I’m fighting in America or Japan.”

Leverton agrees.

“He seems very composed, and it goes back to his level of professionalism,” the trainer says. “He’s the sort to read sports psychology books to get himself in the right mental state for fights. He also attended UFC 85 to get a feel for the experience. And remember, he’s trained at places like Xtreme Couture [in Las Vegas], sparring with people like Wanderlei Silva, which makes this so much more achievable and gives him greater confidence going in.”

Gono (28-12-7), a seasoned veteran with nearly 50 professional fights under his belt, presents a number of challenges.

“He’s very good at surviving; he moves well and is really difficult to pin down,” Hardy says. “I’ve noticed he tends to draw people in, look for openings and capitalize on their mistakes. Often in Pride, he was fighting people at a higher weight class, so with his speed, reactions and kickboxing, he drew them into a brawl. He’s very clever, but now he’s fighting at welterweight against a younger opponent with quicker reactions.”

Gono has lost to only three men -- Dan Henderson, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua and Denis Kang -- in the past seven years. Hardy knows the Japanese welterweight will provide a formidable test.

“I anticipate playing a little cat-and-mouse chase for a little while,” Hardy says. “Brawling is not my style, so I’ll look to chip away at him and slow him down gradually. I’m not looking for a KO right away. It would be ignorant of me to think that I can just go out and knock him out straight away, but by around the midway point of the second round, I’ll have him at a point where I’ll be looking to finish him.”

Victory will not come easy, though. Gono holds notable wins over Hector Lombard, Yuki Kondo and rising Armenian standout Gegard Mousasi, winner of the recently completed Dream middleweight grand prix. Hardy’s motivations remain simple.

“I have lots of people helping me prepare for this fight, and I don’t want to let anyone down, myself included,” he says. “I’m there to prove I belong and not just make up the numbers.”

Feb 7, 2006
Georges St. Pierre earns Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt under Bruno Fernandes

This was the high point in my career … When I received my black belt in karate, when I conquered the UFC belt, and today.”

UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre gushes about his recent promotion to Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt under Bruno Fernandes from the Gracie Barra camp. Fernandes is a decorated practitioner who now resides in Canada along with “Rush.” The honor could perhaps not have come at a better time — St. Pierre is set to rematch BJ Penn at UFC 94 on January 31 … and his jiu-jitsu is kind slick, too. Just a little bit.